PDA

View Full Version : Pop has declined so much in play-drawing in late game situations

spursistan
12-25-2015, 10:48 PM
stretching back to Game 7 of the Clippers, dude can't draw an open shot if his life depended on it :lol virtually every 5 of our 6 losses featured us barfing up an off balanced contested shit shot..Guys like coach Bud or Stevens has him beat by a mile in this stuff..

TheGreatYacht
12-25-2015, 10:51 PM
It's been more than just one year tbh. His go to move for about 4 years were Manu ISOS.

Parker will get the blame tonight, while Poop will get away free for not benching him. He completely went away from LMAlpha and Kawhi... Them Green/Duncan P&R's :rollin

TheMulletMan3000
12-25-2015, 10:52 PM
:depressed

Johnny RIngo
12-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Pop has been phoning it in ever since the 2014 title. Wonder if he's letting that idiot Messina draw up plays these days

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 10:53 PM
It's been more than just one year tbh. His go to move for about 4 years were Manu ISOS.

Parker will get the blame tonight, while Poop will get away free for not benching him. He completely went away from LMAlpha and Kawhi... Them Green/Duncan P&R's :rollin

That last play also looked like it was designed for an LMA three :lol Old man is fucked after 2014 tbh.

dabom
Pop needs Bud to draw up some plays.

ElNono
He's just letting them play, IMO...

You have to wonder how much Pop was secretly hoping for a loss, tbh... dude gets uncomfortable with win streaks

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 10:55 PM

You have to wonder how much Pop was secretly hoping for a loss, tbh... dude gets uncomfortable with win streaks
That's pretty lame of an excuse for a coach that has been fucking up ever since '14 imho.

steeledl
12-25-2015, 10:58 PM
lmfao... you guys literally think everything is wrong with this team. It's a miracle we have the 2nd best record in the league. Coach sucks, point guard sucks, power forward sucks, sg sucks (i agree with this one)... etc.

TheGreatYacht
12-25-2015, 10:59 PM
That last play also looked like it was designed for an LMA three :lol Old man is fucked after 2014 tbh.
And the players will keep getting discredited because they play with this fuck. All I hear about is his system from casuals who don't watch the Spurs play :lol

He's waived the white flag. And the Spurs beat the Clippers thanks to talent. LMAlpha, Parker, and Kawhi won that game not because of the hacking

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 11:01 PM
And the players will keep getting discredited because they play with this fuck. All I hear about is his system from casuals who don't watch the Spurs play :lol

He's waived the white flag. And the Spurs beat the Clippers thanks to talent. LMAlpha, Parker, and Kawhi won that game not because of the hacking
It's annoying when they overrate the system tbh :lol

Pop is top 3 coach of all time but he still has his flaws

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:04 PM
I feel like he's experiment w/ his plays trying to find one that works for Kawhi/LMA just like the Manu/Tim give & go. He's trying to isolate Kawhi & have LMA spotting up on the corner so Kawhi can kick it out if the big man help. The issue today was that the Rockets loaded up on Kawhi's side & didn't bother guarding Tim so Kawhi had no driving lanes. In this case, he has to move the ball & have a secondary play maker attack from the weakside: could have been Tony:lol

It would probably be better to give Kawhi the ball at the mid-post then clear out so he can either shoot his fade away, jab step & pull up or drive if the defender is riding him. That's basically what the Mavs run for Dirk.

ElNono
12-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Mike Brown is available...

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:07 PM

I swear Elnono always has a vanilla excuse under his sleeve.

Late game execution is not all on Pop even though hes been poor for the most part. Its on the players aswell. Particularly, Parker-Leonard-Manu-Tim...Im going to give LMA some slack here since its obvious hes trying to fit in..( he is still shitty though) but its basically on the ball handlers. Their reads have been atrocious. Manu is probably the biggest culprit since he plays like hes 25 in late game situations. Parker has the tendency to hero ball and Kawhi is at fault at times for passing up an obvious mismatch/shot.

Its really on the players, but pop isnt really doing anything to fix it.

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:09 PM

Late game execution is not all on Pop even though hes been poor for the most part. Its on the players aswell. Particularly, Parker-Leonard-Manu-Tim...Im going to give LMA some slack here since its obvious hes trying to fit in..( he is still shitty though) but its basically on the ball handlers. Their reads have been atrocious. Manu is probably the biggest culprit since he plays like hes 25 in late game situations. Parker has the tendency to hero ball and Kawhi is at fault at times for passing up an obvious mismatch/shot.

They look like the Heatles in close game situations except instead of prime Wade you have washed up Manu.:lol

ElNono
12-25-2015, 11:10 PM

You just agreed with me in the other thread :lol

It's clear we're transitioning from heavy Tony/Manu execution in crunchtime to other guys... LMA, Kawhi, etc... The only way to make it happen is to let them play and do it... Execution is going to suck here or there, growing pains, tbh

Robz4000
12-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Agreed. Pop has been terrible since 5 outside the first 10 or so games this season.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:39 PM
You just agreed with me in the other thread :lol

It's clear we're transitioning from heavy Tony/Manu execution in crunchtime to other guys... LMA, Kawhi, etc... The only way to make it happen is to let them play and do it... Execution is going to suck here or there, growing pains, tbh

I dont know man..your post sounded so vanilla tbh.:lol

I disagree though. I have yet to see this team do anything to facilitate that fourth quarter transition. Leonard has had great 4 quarter games but its mostly bail out baskets.

Leonard is now at a level of a play that he needs to be held accountable for not calling his own shot but hes in a weird situation playing with 4 HOF. In any team, he deserves to be roasted for allowing role players to do their stuff...again hes in a tough situation. Well see if he supress the egos that control the fourth quarter..Mainly Parker-Manu-TD.

LMA is passive woman. He looks like he will lick a spurs player butthole if one of them orderd him to do it.

ElNono
12-25-2015, 11:46 PM
I dont know man..your post sounded so vanilla tbh.:lol

I disagree though. I have yet to see this team do anything to facilitate that fourth quarter transition. Leonard has had great 4 quarter games but its mostly bail out baskets.

Leonard is now at a level of a play that he needs to be held accountable for not calling his own shot but hes in a weird situation playing with 4 HOF. In any team, he deserves to be roasted for allowing role players to do their stuff...again hes in a tough situation. Well see if he supress the egos that control the fourth quarter..Mainly Parker-Manu-TD.

LMA is passive woman. He looks like he will lick a spurs player butthole if one of them orderd him to do it.

Dunno about Tony but it's hard to remember the last time Manu cleared out for a last shot in the 4th...

I thought they looked for Kawhi tonight but execution wise it was all fucked up...

I can live with a bunch of Kawhi ISOs in the crunch with the way he was playing tonight, tbh

spursistan
01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
that last play "drawn" with 6 sec left in half :lmao.. a contested Manu heave from 3..no screens no player movement..

UNT Eagles 2016
01-12-2016, 09:02 PM
that last play "drawn" with 6 sec left in half :lmao.. a contested Manu heave from 3..no screens no player movement..
Don't want to risk a turnover.

SAGirl
01-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Wrong thread!! Sorry was posting on game thread.

SAGirl
01-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Wrong thread...

spursistan
04-12-2016, 11:29 PM
bump..

that last Kawhi ISO in regulation..what an ugly ass shot :lmao

ducks
04-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Leonard missed Last 3 shots in regulation

TheGreatYacht
04-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Worrisome tbh.. Bottom 3 coach in late game situations IMO

GSH
04-12-2016, 11:39 PM
The Spurs used to be known for the plays they ran out of timeouts. That possession was money. It got talked about by many commentators over the years.

That has definitely taken a dive in the last few seasons.

steeledl
04-12-2016, 11:51 PM
The Spurs used to be known for the plays they ran out of timeouts. That possession was money. It got talked about by many commentators over the years.

Definately true this season. Pop used to run plays to get his shooters open looks but some of it probably has to do with pop not trusting the shooters on this team. I'd still prefer we did that but I think that has something to do with his decision making. Kawhi is going to draw the most attention so it's going to be hard to get him an open look.

NASpurs
04-13-2016, 12:00 AM

Which is also how long Bud has been gone.

GSH
04-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Definately true this season. Pop used to run plays to get his shooters open looks but some of it probably has to do with pop not trusting the shooters on this team. I'd still prefer we did that but I think that has something to do with his decision making. Kawhi is going to draw the most attention so it's going to be hard to get him an open look.

There could be something to that. I was going to mention this in the game thread. Danny's shooting problems have gotten a lot worse than just empty possessions. Whenever he gets the ball out on the perimeter, the opposing teams are immediately camping on passing lanes. I've noticed it quite a few times, where his passes have to go way wide because a defender is already moving on it. They're not just sagging to help on someone else, they're using it to screw up the angles, and rhythm of the offense. The Spurs will move the ball around for 8-10 seconds at times, but when Danny takes a pass, it's like a complete re-set late in the shot clock. Not every possession, but way too often. I hate to say it, but I don't see how this offense carries them past the second round, if Danny is in there and playing like this.

And you're right - it is a lot easier to defend a drawn play, if you don't have a deep threat to worry about.

Holden_Caulfield
04-13-2016, 12:06 AM
manu should take the last shots.

loveforthegame
04-13-2016, 12:07 AM
bump..

that last Kawhi ISO in regulation..what an ugly ass shot :lmao

Same play they ran in Orlando. That game Leonard did the right thing driving to the open middle and nailed the shot. Tonight he decided to drive to the right corner into traffic. Didn't help he bobbled the ball and forced it up.

He had success with it against the Pelicans. Mixed results against the other game against OKC in SA. The game where Pop demanded Parker give the ball to Leonard. They were running that a lot down the stretch.

It's a nice option but shouldn't be the go to play. Too predictable.

Let's hope Pop is more creative in the post season.

Mnky
04-13-2016, 12:12 AM
Why do you need to show anything when you're setting records tbh? Been nailed into the 2 seed since before the all star break.

T Park
04-13-2016, 12:21 AM
Write up a final play vs the team you'll play in the second round and give them tape so they can plan against it.

The basement dwellers continue to amaze.

GSH
04-13-2016, 12:25 AM
Same play they ran in Orlando. That game Leonard did the right thing driving to the open middle and nailed the shot.

In Orlando, Kawhi left some time on the clock, and the Magic (Payton?) missed a point-blank shot that would have sent that game to OT. Tonight he waited and made sure to take the last shot, so OT was the worst case. I guess it could have been worse if he'd gone too early.