PDA

View Full Version : Brief Analysis of tonights game and what it means going forward.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:00 PM
- The spurs took this game seriously, no doubt so lets take the its only a regular season win BS out first.

- The spurs struggle in close games for a variety of reason but the biggest culprit today is Turnovers.

- The ball handlers today, particularly parker was so predictable that it allowed houston to defend the paint the way they did. Way too much predictable PnR/Pop with Tim and Lamarcus. Very little off ball screens for the starters. The offball screens today had zero convinctions and Purpose. Bigs shit the bed tonight, both the starters and the bench.

- The bench got fucked anally by terrence Jones and I expect Draymond Green who plays minutes with the bench to exploit the lack of toughness that second unit has.

- The Spurs crunchtime execution is soo poor because of one obvious reason. THEY DO NOT HAVE a crunch time identity. Unlike the older spurs that relied on Manu, Tim and to a lesser extent Tony..this team is still stuck between transitioning from Parker/Manu heavy crunchtime to allowing Leonard or LMA to make plays..Theyve been so poor the whole season.

- Pop has been shitting the bed. He has been soo poor in terms of outbounds playcalling..

- Until they bulild an identity in late game situations, they are going to conitune to be inconsistent on a possession by possesion basis.

- Disgusting how your best player is reduced to a bail out shooter.

- Green was actually awesome in the first half. But as evident LMA-Green just dont work on offense. It just does not. When the team is running through LMA green is basiclly a non factor since his Gravity is useless when LMA has the ball.

steeledl
12-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Please seek the help that was being offered to you by your family in your recent intervention.... we are all rooting for you here.

dabom
12-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Glad OP is back. One of the great ones. :tu

timtonymanu
12-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Good analysis, but because it's apo, the usual suspects will hate on this thread.

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Welcome back fam.

Crunch time identity is a good point. It's good when you have 3 veterans to bail you out but we should really put the ball in LMA and Kawhi's hands the most in the 4th. Parker shooting those bricks in the 4th is both disgusting and pretty fucking unbelievable. It's one thing when it's falling (clippers game) but he kept shooting when he clearly wasn't on. It's fucking unbelievable.

RD2191
12-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the thoughts OP.

benefactor
12-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Didn't read.

Spurs lost on Christmas per par.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Welcome back fam.

Crunch time identity is a good point. It's good when you have 3 veterans to bail you out but we should really put the ball in LMA and Kawhi's hands the most in the 4th. Parker shooting those bricks in the 4th is both disgusting and pretty fucking unbelievable. It's one thing when it's falling (clippers game) but he kept shooting when he clearly wasn't on. It's fucking unbelievable.

Leonard is at fault too. But I susupect there is closed door politics that keeps leonad and even LMA aggressive late.

For example Leonard and LMA was phenomenal against chicago only to be reduced to bail out shooters and tip ins late game. I hate to say it, but the big 3 does stagnate the ball when they are all playing together. Adlridge is still a fatass dong, but truth be told he has veey little fault in these late game situations. Its mostly Pop-Parker-Manu and sometimes Leonard who defers in certiain catches.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Spurs can eat a fat dick.

RD2191
12-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Spurs can eat a fat dick.

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Leonard is at fault too. But I susupect there is closed door politics that keeps leonad and even LMA aggressive late.

For example Leonard and LMA was phenomenal against chicago only to be reduced to bail out shooters and tip ins late game. I hate to say it, but the big 3 does stagnate the ball when they are all playing together. Adlridge is still a fatass dong, but truth be told he has veey little fault in these late game situations. Its mostly Pop-Parker-Manu and sometimes Leonard who defers in certiain catches.

I mean Kawhi needed to shoot that 3 when they were down by 4 with under 40 seconds left, he decided to take a contested 2, I get it that's his fault. I hate when he does that. But before the final minute it was all Parker and/or Duncan. No touches for LMA or Kawhi. It's disgusting. This is not 2005 anymore. I hate when Parker goes hero and Pop allows it there's simply no fucking explanation.

ElNono
12-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Agree in general. Kawhi was great IMO. LMA is still underwhelming though, IMO

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:18 PM
I mean Kawhi needed to shoot that 3 when they were down by 4 with under 40 seconds left, he decided to take a contested 2, I get it that's his fault. I hate when he does that. But before the final minute it was all Parker and/or Duncan. No touches for LMA or Kawhi. It's disgusting. This is not 2005 anymore. I hate when Parker goes hero and Pop allows it there's simply no fucking explanation.

Yeah that was one of the biggest culprits too. Leonard was reduced to bail out scorer in the 2nd Half. What can we do though...its on pop to figure out how to fix this kind of problems. I find it difficult.to believe he will since this has been a constant for the last year and half.

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 11:20 PM
Yeah that was one of the biggest culprits too. Leonard was reduced to bail out scorer in the 2nd Half. What can we do though...its on pop to figure out how to fix this kind of problems. I find it difficult.to believe he will since this has been a constant for the last year and half.

It doesn't help that he can't design an end-game play aswell. We saw it with OKC, Bulls and now this game. That fucking play was designed for a left elbow LMA three, who fucking does that? Unreal

SAGirl
12-25-2015, 11:21 PM
- The spurs took this game seriously, no doubt so lets take the its only a regular season win BS out first.

- The spurs struggle in close games for a variety of reason but the biggest culprit today is Turnovers.

- The ball handlers today, particularly parker was so predictable that it allowed houston to defend the paint the way they did. Way too much predictable PnR/Pop with Tim and Lamarcus. Very little off ball screens for the starters. The offball screens today had zero convinctions and Purpose. Bigs shit the bed tonight, both the starters and the bench.

- The bench got fucked anally by terrence Jones and I expect Draymond Green who plays minutes with the bench to exploit the lack of toughness that second unit has.

- The Spurs crunchtime execution is soo poor because of one obvious reason. THEY DO NOT HAVE a crunch time identity. Unlike the older spurs that relied on Manu, Tim and to a lesser extent Tony..this team is still stuck between transitioning from Parker/Manu heavy crunchtime to allowing Leonard or LMA to make plays..Theyve been so poor the whole season.

- Pop has been shitting the bed. He has been soo poor in terms of outbounds playcalling..

- Until they bulild an identity in late game situations, they are going to conitune to be inconsistent on a possession by possesion basis.

- Green was actually awesome in the first half. But as evident LMA-Green just dont work on offense. It just does not. When the team is running through LMA green is basiclly a non factor since his Gravity is useless when LMA has the ball.
Welcome back Apalisoc!
Thanks for this review.
I missed parts of the game, but from what I saw you have some good points.
Against a transition team you cannot turn the ball over, that is the majority of Houston's game.
Agree with you on crunchtime execution in close games. It has been lacking. It reminds me of the Bulls game. The Bulls defended both Kawhi/LMA well, but they don't have a 2 man game between them, or much chemistry, and on those occasions, Tim and Manu showed their age.

I feel like Lamarcus has not been the superstar we hoped in those cases, maybe Pop has changed his game so much with all these lobs, but a lot of them were expected and not quite open, thus they were deflected and actually not easy shots for LMA. Many passes were just off TBH. Some lobs were too high too wide, just off the mark.

Team had an identity problem early in the season, and at this point, they seemed better, but I really don't trust Danny to close out games or even deal with tight defenses.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:24 PM

LMA is a beta thats why hes underwhelming. Hes a weird dude. He puts in the effort most of the time but its also clear hes atrocious with Parker and Green. LMA does play well with Leonard and Duncan though.

Spurs is still a great team but if they cant figure out a way to give their best player betfer shots than bail out shots from Parker and if they cant figure out Green-LMA and Parker-LMA and what their identity is going to be late game they wil lose a lot of close games in the playoffs and that might be enough for OKC, LA and GSW to beat them.

Make no mistake the clippers will be a tough nut to crack and as well as the thunder. If they dont get a good cushion against these teams before 2 minute mark they are most likely losing.

Cavs, dubs, LA, OKC are consistent in late game situations. It might not be pretty but the players know what they need to do, they know their roles etc. This team does not.

SPURt
12-25-2015, 11:26 PM
The discouraging aspect to this game was the offensive execution. Not to mention the Hack-A-AssholeWhoPlaysNBABallYetRefusesToLearnToShootFree Throws backfired. Spurs out rebounded, out assisted, had fewer turnovers, and only three more fouls with all the intentional fouling. Without seeing a score, those categories usually are to the winners advantage.

What really stings is seeing Harden prayers fall in back to back plays. Tonight was ass and the biggest dingleberries were Danny, Tony, Manu, and West. Tim and Kawhi tried, but the rest of the team emptied their bowels all over each other's chests.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:26 PM
Welcome back Apalisoc!
Thanks for this review.
Against a transition team you cannot turn the ball over, that is the majority of Houston's game.
Agree with you on crunchtime execution in close games. It has been lacking. It reminds me of the Bulls game. The Bulls defended both Kawhi/LMA well, but they don't have a 2 man game between them, or much chemistry, and on those occasions, Tim and Manu showed their age.

I feel like Lamarcus has not been the superstar we hoped in those cases, maybe Pop has changed his game so much with all these lobs, but a lot of them were expected and not quite open, thus they were deflected and actually not easy shots for LMA. Many passes were just off TBH. Some lobs were too high too wide, just off the mark.

Team had an identity problem early in the season, and at this point, they seemed better, but I really don't trust Danny to close out games or even deal with tight defenses.

Lamarcus and Kawhi actually do pretty well together. Surprisngly. The spurs just dont feel like its a viable option. They are predicable in crunch time. Very predictable.

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:27 PM

Kawhi stepped in for a 2 b/c Ariza was all over him & wouldn't let him shoot a 3. Pop fuckin' drew up an isolation play when he should have called a quick hitter.:toast

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 11:29 PM
Kawhi stepped in for a 2 b/c Ariza was all over him & wouldn't let him shoot a 3. Pop fuckin' drew up an isolation play when he should have called a quick hitter.:toast

Idk if we're talking about the same play but he had an open 3 off a screen handoff from Tim iirc, they were coming from a stop, he needed to shoot that.

Kawhitstorm
Lamarcus and Kawhi actually do pretty well together. Surprisngly. The spurs just dont feel like its a viable option. They are predicable in crunch time. Very predictable.

Last I checked most team have predictable crunch time plays i.e. the Terry/Dirk PnP. It's whether or not the defense can stop it that matters. I've yet to see Kawhi/LMA in a PnR/PnP play, it's fuckin' Danny/LMA or Tim/Porker:bang

apalisoc_9
The discouraging aspect to this game was the offensive execution. Not to mention the Hack-A-AssholeWhoPlaysNBABallYetRefusesToLearnToShootFree Throws backfired. Spurs out rebounded, out assisted, had fewer turnovers, and only three more fouls with all the intentional fouling. Without seeing a score, those categories usually are to the winners advantage.

What really stings is seeing Harden prayers fall in back to back plays. Tonight was ass and the biggest dingleberries were Danny, Tony, Manu, and West. Tim and Kawhi tried, but the rest of the team emptied their bowels all over each other's chests.

Pop is senile. Hes doing a great job though tbh overall. :lol..hes just a stubborn motherfucker..hes.probably not the best coach in the league anymore.

He gets really cute at times..still a great coach. Just needs to fix his guys and how they play late game.

steeledl
12-25-2015, 11:30 PM
Welcome back Apalisoc!
Thanks for this review.

damn, 2 faced as fuck on the internet. You were just hatin on this dude when he left now you are excited he is back....

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:31 PM
Last I checked most team have predictable crunch time plays i.e. the Terry/Dirk PnP. It's whether or not the defense can stop it that matters. I've yet to see Kawhi/LMA in a PnR/PnP play, it's fuckin' Danny/LMA or Tim/Porker:bang

Oh thats what I meant by predicable. Most teams run the same sets over and over. The point being is tha the spurs are deep and there is no reason to play the same way the other teams play.

That Danny-LMA and Tim-Pakrer two man games has to die already
..Jesus

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2015, 11:32 PM
Happy Holidays, apo..hope you're back for good, bro, this place is too corny and vanilla without you, G..

Hope everything is good with the family..

SPURt
12-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Pop is senile. Hes doing a great job though tbh overall. :lol..hes just a stubborn motherfucker..hes.probably not the best coach in the league anymore.

He gets really cute at times..still a great coach. Just needs to fix his guys and how they play late game.
The Hack-A-Crap worked against the Clippers in their last matchup, but I can't remember any games where that strategy worked outside of that. It takes everyone out of rhythm.

sasaint
12-25-2015, 11:34 PM

A very cogent analysis. I particularly like your crunch time analysis. In crunch time we were completely dysfunctional. However, I do take issue with your first point. We didn't take this game seriously enough to exert much effort, and Pop didn't take the game seriously enough to think about his strategy and play-calling very seriously. We were very disinterested.

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2015, 11:35 PM
Aldridge and Green have terrible chemistry in every facet of the offense, tbh..

Green gets very little out of the Aldridge post ups..Green can't run the pick & pop with Aldridge..Aldridge gives the ball to Green and expects him to create like Wes Matthews, for some reason, not sure how he hasn't noticed that Danny can't dribble:lol..

I know Aldridge is naturally a pussy and a beta, but he needs to be way more aggressive, rather than trying too hard to play "Spurs ball".. That era is over, tbh..

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Oh thats what I meant by predicable. Most teams run the same sets over and over. The point being is tha the spurs are deep and there is no reason to play the same way the other teams play.

That Danny-LMA and Tim-Pakrer two man games has to die already
..Jesus

I'm talking about crunch time, you can't have guys running around like chickens w/ their heads cut off & resorting to a bailout shot against a scrambling end of game defense. Give the ball to Kawhi let LMA set a screen & go from there, take Tim out & have Danny/Manu spotting up on the opposite corner w/ Tony cutting to keep the defense occupied. If Kawhi get trapped then pitch it to Tony & let him be the secondary playmaker.

YGWHI
12-25-2015, 11:39 PM
but they don't have a 2 man game between them, or much chemistry, and on those occasions, Tim and Manu showed their age.
And Pop doesn't make any effort to facilitate that 2-man game, we didn't see calls to involve both...tbh.

Also, the Spurs actually have a weird tendency to ignore Kawhi's mismatches, he was guarded by Harden 7-8 minutes in the 3rd quarter and they didn't exploit it...

SAGirl
12-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Cavs, dubs, LA, OKC are consistent in late game situations. It might not be pretty but the players know what they need to do, they know their roles etc. This team does not.
Agree with you on this.
It might just kill us if we don't figure out this one thing TBH because I really think we are very, very solid in most respects. Chemistry/identity has been an issue against elite teams. Road games against good teams have been troublesome too, particularly when our bench struggles and it wasn't quite on fire tonight or defensively stout.

\

Biggems
IMO, the basket played a big part in this game. In the first half, the Rockets struggled to make baskets. In the second half, it was the Spurs struggling to make baskets. Meanwhile, both teams seemed to have much more success on the opposite end of the court.

r0drig0lac
holy shit, I agree with this guy

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 11:41 PM
The only saving grace is we're still 25-6 and all of our losses have come on the road against mediocre-good teams

sasaint
12-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Wait, I thought your initial post was about lack of crunch time identity (= dysfunctionality, = UNpredictability)? They are still in the process of moving from Tim/Manu/Tony end game to Kawhi/LMA end game. WE don't even know what we are doing at crunch time; how can we be predictable?

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:42 PM
I know Aldridge is naturally a pussy and a beta, but he needs to be way more aggressive, rather than trying too hard to play "Spurs ball".. That era is over, tbh..

Kawhi is ready to be the man but Pop doesn't want him to dominate the ball & refuses to let him run PnR/PnPs. Tony/Manu would have to die in a car accident before Kawhi is handed the keys to run plays besides isolations.:lol

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:44 PM

Green gets very little out of the Aldridge post ups..Green can't run the pick & pop with Aldridge..Aldridge gives the ball to Green and expects him to create like Wes Matthews, for some reason, not sure how he hasn't noticed that Danny can't dribble:lol..

I just said the same thing in the other thread bro. Hes such a huge beta. Aldridge needs to understand the personel around him. Pass the ball to parker or Leonard or go to work instead of that two man Green-LMA game. Fuking pussy even passes up open shots to do a two man game with Green. :lmao

TD 21
12-25-2015, 11:46 PM

It's somewhat based on transitioning, somewhat based on the fact that neither Leonard nor Aldridge can create for others or get to the line. It also doesn't help matters, that the lineup lacks three-point shooting, particularly if Leonard has the ball in his hands.

It's the same, old problems with this team. Not only the loss, but the manner in which they lost was so predictable, that I predicted the exact way it would happen in the "they should sweep the four game home stand" thread. We're now going on a season and a half of this.

Tonight was also a perfect example of why I continue to harp on the need for a Neal/Belinelli type. Pop should have seen this coming, had Butler in uniform and played at least one of Bonner or him.

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Agree with you on this.
It might just kill us if we don't figure out this one thing TBH because I really think we are very, very solid in most respects. Chemistry/identity has been an issue against elite teams. Road games against good teams have been troublesome too, particularly when our bench struggles and it wasn't quite on fire tonight or defensively stout.

\

LeBron/Wade/Bosh couldn't closeout games during their 1st season as the Heatles so I'm not surprised the current Spurs are struggling esp. when Tony is milk carton status. LMA is Bosh status (spot up for 3s in crunch time) so Manu/Tony need to hand the keys to Kawhi just like Wade did for Lebron.

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:48 PM
I just said the same thing in the other thread bro. Hes such a huge beta. Aldridge needs to understand the personel around him. Pass the ball to parker or Leonard or go to work instead of that two man Green-LMA game. Fuking pussy even passes up open shots to do a two man game with Green. :lmao

At this point I wouldn't mind starting Simmons since he has good chemistry w/ LMA aka can dribble/make plays:lol. Danny should just play w/ Bobo/Manu.

SAGirl
12-25-2015, 11:48 PM
damn, 2 faced as fuck on the internet. You were just hatin on this dude when he left now you are excited he is back....
I liked this review and let him know.
I am not like you... hate spewing out all the friking time.

sasaint
12-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Make no mistake the clippers will be a tough nut to crack and as well as the thunder. If they dont get a good cushion against these teams before 2 minute mark they are most likely losing.

Obviously, even the Rockettes know what they are going to run, too. But how can we be "predictable" if WE don't know what our roles are?

We don't know them. Therefore, far from being predictable, we are totally dysfunctional and chaotic at crunch time in these close games.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Kawhi is ready to be the man but Pop doesn't want him to dominate the ball & refuses to let him run PnR/PnPs. Tony/Manu would have to die in a car accident before Kawhi is handed the keys to run plays besides isolations.:lol

This os why late game situations is so cringy. Sometimes you will see Parker or Manu differ to kawhi but Pop is such a stubborn mofo its evident at times Manu-Parker-Leonard struggle becausd they dont know what the fuck to do. They know Leonard is a much superior player but pop has his playcalls tol so they're always stuck in between.

I believe it was in the Dallas game late in the fourth when Parker passed up an open shot to pass the ball to leonard. The 1st to 3 quarter roles are in conflict with the late game roles that it fucks them up royally.

Kawhitstorm
12-25-2015, 11:50 PM
This os why late game situations is so cringy. Sometimes you will see Parker or Manu differ to kawhi but Pop is such a stubborn mofo its evident at times Manu-Parker-Leonard struggle becausd they dont know what the fuck to do. They know Leonard is a much superior player but pop has his playcalls tol so they're always stuck in between.

I believe it was in the Dallas game late in the fourth when Parker passed up an open shot to pass the ball to leonard. The 1st to 3 quarter roles are in conflict with the late game roles that it fucks them up royally.

The power struggle is real, it won't be long before Kawhi chokes a bitch in the locker-room.:lol I wouldn't mind if Kawhi renegade & started calling his own plays ala Kirby/Rondo/Lebron.:lol

steeledl
12-25-2015, 11:52 PM
I liked this review and let him know.
I am not like you... hate spewing out all the friking time.

Just keep it real..... don't be talking shit about him acting glad he is gone and then excitedly welcome him back.

Galileo
12-25-2015, 11:54 PM
LeBron sucked in prime time today too.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:54 PM
It's somewhat based on transitioning, somewhat based on the fact that neither Leonard nor Aldridge can create for others or get to the line. It also doesn't help matters, that the lineup lacks three-point shooting, particularly if Leonard has the ball in his hands.

It's the same, old problems with this team. Not only the loss, but the manner in which they lost was so predictable, that I predicted the exact way it would happen in the "they should sweep the four game home stand" thread. We're now going on a season and a half of this.

Tonight was also a perfect example of why I continue to harp on the need for a Neal/Belinelli type. Pop should have seen this coming, had Butler in uniform and played at least one of Bonner or him.

Leonard has shown flashes of creating. I think they are convinced he can. They are probbly going to go with die and live with Leonard in the 4th team once everyones roles settles in.

I agree about having another three pointer.

sasaint
12-25-2015, 11:55 PM

Unfortunately for us Kawhi is our best player in every aspect of the game. I am torn. As long as he is a 45% 3-point threat, I'm not sure I,want the ball in his hands to run PnPs and such. It is a real dilemma until/unless Danny comes around.

SAGirl
12-25-2015, 11:56 PM
A very cogent analysis. I particularly like your crunch time analysis. In crunch time we were completely dysfunctional. However, I do take issue with your first point. We didn't take this game seriously enough to exert much effort, and Pop didn't take the game seriously enough to think about his strategy and play-calling very seriously. We were very disinterested.
I think some guys were disinterested... not all. Kawhi and LMA were balling, but Tony/Tim looked bad to start the game.

Do you feel like Tim is starting to show his age TBH? At times he does look old, there is always the defensive effort, but offensively I thought Timmy started off poorly.

Game was lost beyond just the crunchtime execution. We had many mistakes and empty posessions. Tony was bad most of the time I saw him.

I saw a brief stretch of the bench when they were engaged. Simmons made some plays. Obviously I missed 2 entire Q and some of the 4th Q. .. that is why I am so interested in others' reviews and appreciate opinions (that are not pure hate threads, more like observations and criticism.)

apalisoc_9
12-25-2015, 11:57 PM
The power struggle is real, it won't be long before Kawhi chokes a bitch in the locker-room.:lol I wouldn't mind if Kawhi renegade & started calling his own plays ala Kirby/Rondo/Lebron.:lol

I dont think Manu minds at all though nor timmy. Parker and Pop is the weird cat..But i wouldnt be surpirsed to know if Pop is doing these shit in purpose to fully start running Leonard in the fourth.

Pop is such a weird dude. Plays a lot of mind games so he can get his..

SAGirl
12-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Just keep it real..... don't be talking shit about him acting glad he is gone and then excitedly welcome him back.
:lol

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2015, 12:02 AM
I dont think Manu minds at all though nor timmy. Parker and Pop is the weird cat..But i wouldnt be surpirsed to know if Pop is doing these shit in purpose to fully start running Leonard in the fourth.

Pop is such a weird dude. Plays a lot of mind games so he can get his..

Tim doesn't get in anyone's way but Manu can't help himself but play hero ball when the opportunity presents itself. :lol Pop rarely calls crunch time plays for Porker so that isn't the issue.:lol

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 12:03 AM

I suspect they are both doing what Pop wants.
I can't think they would go to that play without Pop's sanction.
It's the same with Tony heroballing. Whether it works or not, Pop lets him. When Pop wants the ball to move, he commands it.
Danny has been the worst player in our regular rotation. It is a problem. I am not sure about Simmons starting over him TBH. I don't think Pop is ready to try that, and I don't think Danny is a good fit for the bench. In case people haven't noticed it is not so much drive and kick by Manu as all perimeter players in the bench making plays off the dribble nowadays, even Patty is dribbling much more, and both Simmons/Kyle make plays too on their own cutting and driving. That is not Danny's game. Danny needs to start, but he's been awful in Pop's new role or offense.

It really needs to be Kawhi/LMA 2 man game, not Danny. Danny needs to spot up and give up the ball if he doesn't have a shot.

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2015, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately for us Kawhi is our best player in every aspect of the game. I am torn. As long as he is a 45% 3-point threat, I'm not sure I,want the ball in his hands to run PnPs and such. It is a real dilemma until/unless Danny comes around.

In that case, Simmons FTW:lol

TD 21
12-26-2015, 12:04 AM
Leonard has shown flashes of creating. I think they are convinced he can. They are probbly going to go with die and live with Leonard in the 4th team once everyones roles settles in.

I agree about having another three pointer.

Not really. I'm sure he'll get incrementally better in those situations, almost by default (similar to a DeRozan), but he's just not cut out to be that kind of player, at least on a championship team.

This is less of a chemistry issue than it's being made out to be. As I've said umpteen times, we saw it all of last season, too. They're atrocious in the clutch, especially on the road, against .500 or better teams, mainly because they no longer have a traditional go-to perimeter player.

100%duncan
12-26-2015, 12:06 AM
Not really. I'm sure he'll get incrementally better in those situations, almost by default (similar to a DeRozan), but he's just not cut out to be that kind of player, at least on a championship team.

This is less of a chemistry issue than it's being made out to be. As I've said umpteen times, we saw it all of last season, too. They're atrocious in the clutch, especially on the road, against .500 or better teams, mainly because they no longer have a traditional go-to perimeter player.
Hard to improve when you go unnoticed for a long stretch and all you're suddenly expected to bail the team out with a minute left to play.

apalisoc_9
Tim doesn't get in anyone's way but Manu can't help himself but play hero ball when the opportunity presents itself. :lol Pop rarely calls crunch time plays for Porker so that isn't the issue.:lol

Said the same thing about Manu but i dont want to get in heated arguments and sensless aeguments with elnono. Even Manu admitted in his last intervire sometimes he shoots too much aka Heroball :lmao

I said it after the bulls game and everyone came storming at me with a bleeding vagina only for manu to admit he shoots too much at times a week after in one of his interviews. :lmao

YGWHI
Leonard has shown flashes of creating.

Agree. We have seen some nice pick and rolls between Kawhi and Tim, in fact, Tim scored after one of those p&r in the 4th quarter...

At this point of the season, Kawhi should replace Danny in the equation of two man game with LMA.

apalisoc_9
12-26-2015, 12:10 AM

Going to have to disagree with you here. Still, i think you are one of the few here who actually knows the sports so you can be right.

My point being is that there are various ways to get a clutch touch. Either on the triple threat or deep post. They are a great defensive team, they can afford to go this route offensively as oppopsed to a full breakdown the defense in crunch time via perimetter attackers.

YGWHI
12-26-2015, 12:10 AM

-He doesn't have bad numbers in those situations, in fact, the last time I looked at his stats he was the 2nd best Spurs player in those pick and roll situations after Parker.

-If Danny driving and trying to run pick and rolls is the option, I'd rather to see Kawhi with the ball in his hands instead of Green.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 12:21 AM
In that case, Simmons FTW:lol
I would argue Kyle.
I think Kyle is more clutch and smart in half court offense and has come through in games against playoff teams already playing with the starters (Grizzlies/Boston). Both games saved possessions and made the right play. He was very good defensively too might I remind you.

It won't matter though. Danny is not getting benched. We might get off that wagon early.

It is like calling for Tony to get benched last season: it ain't going to happen.

Live and die by Danny I guess. What I hope is that Pop adjusts his role.

ElNono
12-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Said the same thing about Manu but i dont want to get in heated arguments and sensless aeguments with elnono. Even Manu admitted in his last intervire sometimes he shoots too much aka Heroball :lmao

I said it after the bulls game and everyone came storming at me with a bleeding vagina only for manu to admit he shoots too much at times a week after in one of his interviews. :lmao

:lol

sasaint
12-26-2015, 12:23 AM
I think some guys were disinterested... not all. Kawhi and LMA were balling, but Tony/Tim looked bad to start the game.

Do you feel like Tim is starting to show his age TBH? At times he does look old, there is always the defensive effort, but offensively I thought Timmy started off poorly.

Game was lost beyond just the crunchtime execution. We had many mistakes and empty posessions. Tony was bad most of the time I saw him.

I saw a brief stretch of the bench when they were engaged. Simmons made some plays. Obviously I missed 2 entire Q and some of the 4th Q. .. that is why I am so interested in others' reviews and appreciate opinions (that are not pure hate threads, more like observations and criticism.)

I do not agree that LMA was balling. He looked as soft and bereft of energy as any game since he joined the Spurs. Kawhi may have been but the others on the floor with him were getting the ball to him for the most part at times or spots that were quite awkward expecting him to go get his own and bail them out.

As for Tim, it is impossible for me to judge at this stage of the season. Frankly, it has been my assumption all along that the plan was for Tim's role to diminish through this regular season as we brought LMA online. I expected this process to be complete when late this season or next, Tim came off the bench with the second unit (which would be in large part our old starting lineup). With that assumption, I gauged Tim's performance this season to be one of disciplined deference to our future "stars". (His stats are already at second unit-type levels.) Seen through that lens, I have not seen games like this as a sign of age, but of Tim's kind of losing his way, his understanding of his new role when others are expected to be The Man at crunch time. But, it is possible that my assumptions have clouded my perception, and these type performances are just a sign of age. The team, while looking very encouraging at times, is still struggling to discover its new identity - especially at crunch time, as apalisoc_9 brought out in his thread. I am willing to give Tim the benefit of the doubt until after the Rodeo Roadtrip.

IMHO, Simmons and Kawhi were the lone bright spots tonight. Every time out now, Simmons looks more and more comfortable and confident, playing within himself, making plays not turnovers. He will get some decent, regular rotation minutes before the season is over if he continues to make these strides.

To be honest, Pop worries me as much as the guys on the floor. He doesn't seem to know what he wants the team to do at times. He doesn't know how to use all of his new toys, and it is distracting him more than his usual mad science. If I had been Pop, I would have played Simmons more and Manu less in the second half. I also would have played Patty at crunch time. (Come to think of it, Patty was a bright spot, too.) for a team that played the most beautiful series in NBA playoff history and had that fabulous 8-pass possession just last game, our passing tonight was an abomination - laughably bad.

apalisoc_9
12-26-2015, 12:26 AM
I would argue Kyle.
I think Kyle is more clutch and smart in half court offense and has come through in games against playoff teams already playing with the starters (Grizzlies/Boston). Both games saved possessions and made the right play. He was very good defensively too might I remind you.

It won't matter though. Danny is not getting benched. We might get off that wagon early.

It is like calling for Tony to get benched last season: it ain't going to happen.

Kyle will never play over simmons or any meanigful games until he starts taking those wide ope corner threes.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 12:28 AM
Kyle will never play over simmons or any meanigful games until he starts taking those wide ope corner threes.
You might be quite right.

sasaint
12-26-2015, 12:39 AM

Against Minny he was a little more intent on taking his shot, and he hit a trey, IIRC. I think the guy can develop that shot to a respectable level, but 1) he has to be more aggressive and 2) Pop has to encourage it more and cut him a little more slack. Not sure either one of those things will happen this season, if ever.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 01:06 AM
I do not agree that LMA was balling. He looked as soft and bereft of energy as any game since he joined the Spurs. Kawhi may have been but the others on the floor with him were getting the ball to him for the most part at times or spots that were quite awkward expecting him to go get his own and bail them out.

As for Tim, it is impossible for me to judge at this stage of the season. Frankly, it has been my assumption all along that the plan was for Tim's role to diminish through this regular season as we brought LMA online. I expected this process to be complete when late this season or next, Tim came off the bench with the second unit (which would be in large part our old starting lineup). With that assumption, I gauged Tim's performance this season to be one of disciplined deference to our future "stars". (His stats are already at second unit-type levels.) Seen through that lens, I have not seen games like this as a sign of age, but of Tim's kind of losing his way, his understanding of his new role when others are expected to be The Man at crunch time. But, it is possible that my assumptions have clouded my perception, and these type performances are just a sign of age. The team, while looking very encouraging at times, is still struggling to discover its new identity - especially at crunch time, as apalisoc_9 brought out in his thread. I am willing to give Tim the benefit of the doubt until after the Rodeo Roadtrip.

IMHO, Simmons and Kawhi were the lone bright spots tonight. Every time out now, Simmons looks more and more comfortable and confident, playing within himself, making plays not turnovers. He will get some decent, regular rotation minutes before the season is over if he continues to make these strides.

To be honest, Pop worries me as much as the guys on the floor. He doesn't seem to know what he wants the team to do at times. He doesn't know how to use all of his new toys, and it is distracting him more than his usual mad science. If I had been Pop, I would have played Simmons more and Manu less in the second half. I also would have played Patty at crunch time. (Come to think of it, Patty was a bright spot, too.) for a team that played the most beautiful series in NBA playoff history and had that fabulous 8-pass possession just last game, our passing tonight was an abomination - laughably bad.

I only watched sections of the game, so I could quite be wrong on LMA overall, just the minutes I watched he was fine I guess.

I thought Kawhi kept making defensive plays specially in the 2nd Q, that is why I think regardless of how the game went for him offensively, he was trying to win this one. The minutes I watched of him, he was competing.

I am unsure about Tim's role. To start the season, I thought he was posting up on the left block and grabbing post up position before LMA early and thus bumping LMA to the dunker's spot, which aggravated LMA early deferential state and lack of aggressiveness. I really thought there was some bumping going on between them, not intentional, just Tim getting to his spots out of habit, LMA not getting to his spots bc he doesn't want to step on toes. At the time, Tim gave an interview when he admitted the team didn't have an established identity and he didn't even know his own role. It has started to come together, defense first, the lob throws, Tony had played really well until this game getting everyone involved and picking his spots, and Pop was taking advantage of Tim's passing skill, etc. Tim is still special in the SL and honestly when its been LMA/West, as good of a passer as West is, they are not as good. But I thought Tim didn't look good this game. He also struggled against the Pels. and Bulls. It is kind of a pattern when we struggle that Tim is not quite himself. Note we won games without Tim too. Wizards we went with Boban. Timberpups last game, all the starters got benched in the 3rd Q, and although ppl want to diminish the contributions by Kyle, the 3rd Q was his best showing. I thought the SL in the Timberwolves game didn't have the energy either, and may I also remind others the game was close until that 3rd Q. It was not on Kawhi. I thought Tim/LMA were having a bad game.

The concern is that Simmons or Kyle are unlikely to bump anyone in the rotation, right now they are bumping just each other, and both guys can play and have played well when given opportunities. I believe in Kyle's potential and I think he was very restrained by Pop to start the season bc the kind of player he can become you have to truly, really trust. At his core, he's a guy that likes to make plays for others, but he's a young kid, basically a rookie since Pop sent him down to the dleauge last year and didn't really concern himself with him until this season. It doesn't surprise me that Pop is reluctant to trust this two bc it took Pop a good 3 years to trust Kawhi with the ball to begin with. I would not expect either guy to be fasttracked. Kyle is young and the Spurs can afford to take a scenic route with him. To really use him at his best you have to trust him like you trust Manu. He's going to have to earn that from Pop, and Pop is going to be supremely tough (tougher than on Manu, he wont get away with bad shot selection, TO, etc)

I believe Simmons broke through because even if he's not trusted with the ball, he's a great transition scorer, and plays well off the ball and off other people. He's a better roleplayer right way, and his transition scoring is something that the team really lacks outside of Kawhi, but in reality, in terms of trust he is in the same boat.

Pop has had the luxury or relying on his vets this long. Even a guy of Kawhi's talent (a genuine MVP candidate in this league in his own right) didn't even really get Pop's trust with the ball until last season. Heck fans in this boards are still claiming for Kawhi to get the ball more. So even though I love both Simmons and Kyle and believe in their potential, I also think they are not getting fasttracked in any way over what it took Kawhi to get to where he is, specially not over Manu or Danny.

The concern for me right now is why Pop is trusting Danny with the ball so much, I don't think he's done well. I am thinking maybe Pop is stuck at this point.

raybies
12-26-2015, 01:08 AM
Some great analysis and some people over thinking. Pops letting them figure it out. Pop can play God and clone an idea of his or he can let things play out and be as it should. Problem is we got a couple players who are still in the mold in which they were crafted and who can blame them. They can still get w's but when they aren't on it's a L. Parker and everybody can say its KL and LMA's team all they want but until they start letting them lead in the clutch we are only sewing seeds of future failure due to a lack of identity. KL and LMA need clutch shots that win or lose games and they need the big 3's trust and support during the learning curve. When it was Duncan's team we went at Shaq even though it didn't seem like it was a good matchup or favorable. You win some you lose some. Bottom line the play should be a Leonard post or a Aldridge post or even pick and pop. Put KL and LMA in a pick and roll and get everyone out the way. Two best players working together.

Side note: Some players have off nights. Just because a player has a percentage next to his name doesn't mean he's going to reach it every night.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-26-2015, 01:09 AM
I would argue Kyle.

Does he pull out or finish inside?

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 01:26 AM
Does he pull out or finish inside?
Rude!

UNT Eagles 2016
12-26-2015, 01:26 AM
Rude!

Just kidding! Sorry. I thought you ignored me earlier, that's what you posted :( I promise I won't say anything like that again if you don't ignore me... please? = )

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 01:33 AM
Just kidding! Sorry. I thought you ignored me earlier, that's what you posted :( I promise I won't say anything like that again if you don't ignore me... please? = )
I ignored you in the thread, bc we were loosing the game and you were going ballistic lol

TDfan2007
12-26-2015, 01:36 AM

Great points. I think that Danny and Timmy have lost their offensive identities in the SL. Tim has the talent to kind of make it work, whereas Danny relies on that pristine ball movement to make his impact offensively.

You bring up a very good point about the identity crisis being a big reason for the crunch time success, but I don't want us running the offense through LMA in crunch time, tbh. With the regression of his post game, he's now more suitable as a second-banana type. Kawhi should be a go-to guy, but his inability to effectively attack the basket is a big negative. His 1st step is mediocre and he just doesn't do a good job of dipping his shoulder consistently on his dribble drives. Once he improves one or both of those flaws, he'd be a MORE viable late-game iso or pnr option.

On another note, I honestly don't know what I'll do if I see another pathetic low-post pumpfake/forced shot combo from LMA...

UNT Eagles 2016
12-26-2015, 01:43 AM
I ignored you in the thread, bc we were loosing the game and you were going ballistic lol

Alright then lol glad we're on okay terms now

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 01:50 AM
Alright then lol glad we're on okay terms now
:toast

apalisoc_9
12-26-2015, 01:56 AM
Great points. I think that Danny and Timmy have lost their offensive identities in the SL. Tim has the talent to kind of make it work, whereas Danny relies on that pristine ball movement to make his impact offensively.

You bring up a very good point about the identity crisis being a big reason for the crunch time success, but I don't want us running the offense through LMA in crunch time, tbh. With the regression of his post game, he's now more suitable as a second-banana type. Kawhi should be a go-to guy, but his inability to effectively attack the basket is a big negative. His 1st step is mediocre and he just doesn't do a good job of dipping his shoulder consistently on his dribble drives. Once he improves one or both of those flaws, he'd be a MORE viable late-game iso or pnr option.

On another note, I honestly don't know what I'll do if I see another pathetic low-post pumpfake/forced shot combo from LMA...

Yeah LMA is a hideous post up option as I have said months ago when posters where getting at me for saying it.

ChumpDumper
12-26-2015, 03:26 AM
Leonard is at fault too. But I susupect there is closed door politics that keeps leonad and even LMA aggressive late.lol conspiracy!

spurtech09
12-26-2015, 05:07 AM
Win some lose some....wasn't spurs night...Spurs play rockets again.....Jan 2......Spurs win in a blowout....Book it

ceperez
12-26-2015, 06:26 AM
I would argue Kyle.

Kyle should have been put in the court against the Rockets. It was obvious the Parker had trouble finding any openings to score. The Rockets and Clippers have very good defenses in the paint that Parker has trouble scoring against. At least KA can score against a player that is stuck to his hip.

ceperez
12-26-2015, 06:29 AM

The best three players in a post up are:

Diaw
Leonard
Anderson

I rate Diaw higher than Leonard because he can also make the passing play.

LMA isn't even close to these 3. Furthermore, he's not even ahead of Tim Duncan.

ceperez
12-26-2015, 06:32 AM

Lets be fair to Leonard, he can't be both working his ass off in defense and carrying the offensive load in offense. Somebody else has got to take that offensive load and unfortunately Spurs have a max player that does have the talent but lacks the skillset, basketball IQ and toughness to play. Spurs just have a bigger Richard Jefferson on the team.

Spurs had the opportunity to steal a Draymond Green, but they picked up a weak-minded LMA instead.

ceperez
12-26-2015, 06:40 AM
The concern for me right now is why Pop is trusting Danny with the ball so much, I don't think he's done well. I am thinking maybe Pop is stuck at this point.

I definitely want Danny in the court because he does an excellent job in defense. Though his passing skills are nowhere near either Anderson's or Simmons and hopefully he's not forcing the issue because he can see that younger guys can actually pass!

Spurs had both defensive and offensive problems in this game. The offense during crunch time was the biggest problem. Parker had zero opportunities penetrate. Duncan got in the groove late in the game, but was horrible most of the game. Spurs need a consistent scorer in offense but don't really have one if Leonard has to work overtime also in defense. Leonard is best as a second option and messes up when he needs to force the issue. Spurs also don't want to be playing Lebron ball.

The missing piece is obviously LMA, who supposedly should be a threat offensively. Yet, he was guarded by second year player Clint Capella.... Max player LMA can't even score against Clint Capella!!! That's because he just doesn't have advanced skills that he can exploit against younger players. For the record, LMA scored a total of 6 points the entire 2nd half of the game.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-26-2015, 06:59 AM
Spurs didn't have a chance to get Draymond Green. Dude was a RFA and would have stayed in GSW regardless.

ceperez
12-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Spurs didn't have a chance to get Draymond Green. Dude was a RFA and would have stayed in GSW regardless.

I think you forget what happened pre-season, Green had issues because GSW wasn't willing to pay up.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13182764/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-reach-impasse-talks

Spurs could have used that opportunity to put the squeeze on GSW. Either up their salary or snatch up one of their best play makers.

100%duncan
12-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Win some lose some....wasn't spurs night...Spurs play rockets again.....Jan 2......Spurs win in a blowout....Book it

Yeah if last game was at home we would have won.

100%duncan
12-26-2015, 07:15 AM
Draymond is a huge beneficiary of curry :lol curry attracts so much attention thus leading to cutting lanes, open shots etc this team would be worse with draymond as he has a worse skillset than LMA

As Mel_13 would say #ceperez

ceperez
12-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Draymond is a huge beneficiary of curry :lol curry attracts so much attention thus leading to cutting lanes, open shots etc this team would be worse with draymond as he has a worse skillset than LMA

As Mel_13 would say #ceperez

LMA with a skillset??? WTF are you talking about. He's got next to zero skills.

100%duncan
12-26-2015, 07:19 AM
LMA with a skillset??? WTF are you talking about. He's got next to zero skills.

#ceperez

Mnky
12-26-2015, 08:26 AM

He created many opportunities for himself, just to have his teammates hit his ankles with the ball or throw a lob into the rafters. There was no one between him and the basket quite a few times and an errant pass resulted in a TO. I thought he was using the system perfectly, the team just wasn't capitalizing.

dabom
12-26-2015, 08:33 AM
He created many opportunities for himself, just to have his teammates hit his ankles with the ball or throw a lob into the rafters. There was no one between him and the basket quite a few times and an errant pass resulted in a TO. I thought he was using the system perfectly, the team just wasn't capitalizing.

You know how many fucking lobs by tim were shit and how many shitty passes by tony. OMG. :lmao

pgardn
12-26-2015, 09:17 AM
I SUSPECT

Closed door politics keep Leonard from...

And people take this clown seriously. His sauces in the locker room...
This is just pitiful.

cjw
12-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Good take by OP. Welcome back from your vacation or whatever it was.

Turnovers, defensive rebounding early (when a cushion should have been built) and missed layups were the reason for losing.

I was actually surprised to see Rockets had the same number of TO and less OReb. Hack-a wasn't the culprit either - Capella and Howard combined for under 50%.

Kawhi, LMA and Duncan all had good games, as did Green defensively. But when the guards all shit the bed, this team's going to struggle to score. Scary as Houston put out a defense to snuff out Spurs offense similar to what GS and OKC employ.

On the bright side, the Spurs lost by only four to a team that has turned the corner recently and has been good at home despite playing its worst game of the season, save the NOP game when Ryan Anderson turned into Larry Bird.

cjw
12-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Kyle should have been put in the court against the Rockets. It was obvious the Parker had trouble finding any openings to score. The Rockets and Clippers have very good defenses in the paint that Parker has trouble scoring against. At least KA can score against a player that is stuck to his hip.

No surprise Simmons had the lowest +/- and yes, I know the stat can be taken out of context.

His poor shooting killed Spurs in a game they had bad spacing. A shooter or Anderson, who's more careful with the ball and a better passer (Simmons has shown flashes of being a decent passer) would have been preferred. Not to mention Simmons is bad on D defending pick and roll teams.

ceperez
12-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Okay... I exaggerate about LMA ineptness. He's got about the level of skills as Dwight Howard. Happy now?

Mnky
12-26-2015, 11:49 AM
You know how many fucking lobs by tim were shit and how many shitty passes by tony. OMG. :lmao

Yes and yes. Tony I expect it, has always hit the bigs in their ankles. Tim..was driving me crazy.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 03:04 PM

Watched some sections in league pass that I missed last night. Simmons passes open 3s just as much Tbh. He passed on two wide open last night and missed the one he took. They were helping off him pretty strongly, but it would have been the same for Kyle. We can't really say either guy is a shooter. I think they are both very reluctant at this point and will have to be pushed by the coaching staff to shoot, same as they had to push Boris.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 03:09 PM
No surprise Simmons had the lowest +/- and yes, I know the stat can be taken out of context.

His poor shooting killed Spurs in a game they had bad spacing. A shooter or Anderson, who's more careful with the ball and a better passer (Simmons has shown flashes of being a decent passer) would have been preferred. Not to mention Simmons is bad on D defending pick and roll teams.

Kyle is just really good in half court sets. An unlikely stat, other than Tony he has the highest % of the team on self generated unassisted 2 pt shots. Those are all the midrange buckets he has created entirely for himself when he's forced to save a possession that was going nowhere. It's a significant fact when you consider Danny can't get his own shot or save possessions if the ball ends up in his hands in crunch time, and Manu has been great for the most part, but struggled some games, and when he does, Danny is inadequate. Tony was very poor last night too.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 03:36 PM
I definitely want Danny in the court because he does an excellent job in defense. Though his passing skills are nowhere near either Anderson's or Simmons and hopefully he's not forcing the issue because he can see that younger guys can actually pass!

Spurs had both defensive and offensive problems in this game. The offense during crunch time was the biggest problem. Parker had zero opportunities penetrate. Duncan got in the groove late in the game, but was horrible most of the game. Spurs need a consistent scorer in offense but don't really have one if Leonard has to work overtime also in defense. Leonard is best as a second option and messes up when he needs to force the issue. Spurs also don't want to be playing Lebron ball.

The missing piece is obviously LMA, who supposedly should be a threat offensively. Yet, he was guarded by second year player Clint Capella.... Max player LMA can't even score against Clint Capella!!! That's because he just doesn't have advanced skills that he can exploit against younger players. For the record, LMA scored a total of 6 points the entire 2nd half of the game.

I think Danny is a liability in crunch time. Defenses are tougher and he can't get his own shot or make the right play for someone else, he just makes very bad decisions. POP wants everyone to be unselfish even in crunch time which is why he sticks with Manu over Danny. Manu at 25 mins this game, IMO too much. He's good for 20, at most 22. After that he's tired, his shot will abandon him and he will get in Manu brain farts-he wants to take over, but can't. Manu has heart though, always will try to win a game and go down trying. He just can't like he used to.

I haven't been a fan of Pop overpaying Manu in games. We have rarely won in those situations (maybe very early in the season when Manu was well rested and had a very strong start. Even then it was against subpar competition.)

POP should really trust Anderson or Simms more. Kawhi 40 mins. It's possible the mins on Kawhi combined with his exertion on defense is leaving him depleted to close out these games. It was similar against Chicago.

Boris and David also struggled defending the Rockets bigs and we must admit Kyle is better defensively than Simmons. He's disruptive in passing lanes, racks up deflections, blocks shots, gets steals, not foul prone, better contesting shots and going around or under screens. Simmons is much better on pressuring the ball, but does a poor job on maneuvering screens and doesn't have the tools to alter shots or passing lanes like Anderson, due to Anderson's quick hands and his length.

unforeseen
12-26-2015, 04:30 PM
OP is a faggot.

BD24
12-26-2015, 04:50 PM
OP is a faggot.
I second that motion.

YGWHI
12-26-2015, 05:04 PM
It's possible the mins on Kawhi combined with his exertion on defense is leaving him depleted to close out these games. It was similar against Chicago.

The only real similarity between last game and the game in Chicago was that Pop didn't call a complete play and just gave him the ball to figure out how to score a desperation 3 without help, screens...nothing.

Pop's coaching in clutch time has nothing to do with Kawhi minutes, tbh.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 05:14 PM
The only real similarity between last game and the game in Chicago was that Pop didn't call a complete play and just gave him the ball to figure out how to score a desperation 3 without help, screens...nothing.

Pop's coaching in clutch time has nothing to do with Kawhi minutes, tbh.

We differ. I think both are a factor. POP has been poor directing late game execution since the team has identity issues, but Kawhi has also seemed tired in shots he's attempted and whether he's settled for contested shots instead of doing something else.

absoloot66
12-26-2015, 05:14 PM

Or one of his now-patented pump-fake/aborted-drive combos from the high post. Haven't seen him successfully get by anyone yet this season, IIRC...uuugly:vomit:

YGWHI
12-26-2015, 05:24 PM
We differ. I think both are a factor. POP has been poor directing late game execution since the team has identity issues, but Kawhi has also seemed tired in shots he's attempted and whether he's settled for contested shots instead of doing something else.

That's on Pop too. It's not like the team clear out for Kawhi.

What more he can do with LMA and Tim there...If Pop doesn't want that Kawhi take that type of shot, just call a play and move your two bigs...

TD 21
12-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Hard to improve when you go unnoticed for a long stretch and all you're suddenly expected to bail the team out with a minute left to play.

Yeah, that did happen a lot in this game, but I'm speaking generally.

Going to have to disagree with you here. Still, i think you are one of the few here who actually knows the sports so you can be right.

My point being is that there are various ways to get a clutch touch. Either on the triple threat or deep post. They are a great defensive team, they can afford to go this route offensively as oppopsed to a full breakdown the defense in crunch time via perimetter attackers.

I seriously doubt that can be an offensive recipe for success, down the stretch of close games, against solid or better teams, particularly on the road. The past nearly season and a half of evidence indicates that it can't.

-He doesn't have bad numbers in those situations, in fact, the last time I looked at his stats he was the 2nd best Spurs player in those pick and roll situations after Parker.

-If Danny driving and trying to run pick and rolls is the option, I'd rather to see Kawhi with the ball in his hands instead of Green.

It's all about context. He not only doesn't run near the amount Parker and Ginobili do, but most of his are probably of the secondary/side variety, where the defense is already bent/a step behind, in rotation.

Obviously, Leonard is a superior pick and roll option to Green. But he's not the kind of player that can break down a set defense off a high pick and roll and either get to the line or create for others. Most great go-to perimeter players excel at at least one of these the things.

100%duncan
12-26-2015, 07:56 PM
It happens in a lot of close games imho. Look at the OKC one, nigga was owning early in the 4th then suddenly they went away from him only to give him back the ball in the last minutes, he actually delivered but was too little too late. The Bulls game, where parker, td and manu all made boneheaded plays down the stretch, pop drawing up a fucked up play expecting kawhi to suddenly have the touch to hit a 3.

It happens a lot even on the games we win, kawhi scores gets hot then he gets ignored. It happens everytime, heck it happened last game.

My point is, you cant expect a young superstart in kawhi to fully develop (I agree that he's still not there in terms of end game decisioning execution etc) if you cant even offer him consistency with touches.

TD 21
12-26-2015, 08:07 PM
It happens in a lot of close games imho. Look at the OKC one, nigga was owning early in the 4th then suddenly they went away from him only to give him back the ball in the last minutes, he actually delivered but was too little too late. The Bulls game, where parker, td and manu all made boneheaded plays down the stretch, pop drawing up a fucked up play expecting kawhi to suddenly have the touch to hit a 3.

It happens a lot even on the games we win, kawhi scores gets hot then he gets ignored. It happens everytime, heck it happened last game.

My point is, you cant expect a young superstart in kawhi to fully develop (I agree that he's still not there in terms of end game decisioning execution etc) if you cant even offer him consistency with touches.

I don't think it's as much about him developing in that role as it is him not having the skill set for it.

100%duncan
12-26-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't think it's as much about him developing in that role as it is him not having the skill set for it.

It's all about developing with kawhi. Nigga couldnt dribble, hit a 3, post up, spot up in college. He was a hustle, defense first type but now he's a top 5player in the nba.

TD 21
12-26-2015, 08:19 PM
It's all about developing with kawhi. Nigga couldnt dribble, hit a 3, post up, spot up in college. He was a hustle, defense first type but now he's a top 5player in the nba.

Play making is the type of skill you either have or you don't. Not to say you can't get incrementally better, but he's in year five. If he were capable of being a lead play maker, we'd have seen it by now.

ceperez
12-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Agree about being tired. You can't have Kawhi guarding Harden and expect him to be efficient also on the offensive side.

dabom
12-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Agree about being tired. You can't have Kawhi guarding Harden and expect him to be efficient also on the offensive side.

And playing 38 minutes last night. Dude is all heart out there. He was also tied with harden for most points in the game. Let that sink in. He played just as good as harden on offense and great defense for 38 fucking minutes.

People need to understand he is fucking human. :lol

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Play making is the type of skill you either have or you don't. Not to say you can't get incrementally better, but he's in year five. If he were capable of being a lead play maker, we'd have seen it by now.
I don't always agree with you, in fact I differ from you a lot, but I respect you since your opinions are always well supported.

I agree on this view. I think Pop has said as much when praising both Simmons and Anderson. The one thing about both players that impressed Pop the most is their passing ability, something that Pop has apparently prioritized replenishing with Manu's retirement near. Pop himself stated that the ability to really see the floor and read situations is pure talent, (something he doesn't even know if he can coach into a guy) stating that some guys have it, and some don't.

I do think Pop shows video, and keeps motivating guys to pass the ball and such, but some guys have a natural ability for passing, which once developed can become elite.

100%duncan
12-26-2015, 08:37 PM

He has shown flashes esp in making assists. He recognizes open men better than our starting pg. Kawhi is about improving imho, but the team relies on a 37 yr old ginobili and a 34 yr old parker to deliver in the clutch. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

apalisoc_9
12-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Yeah, that did happen a lot in this game, but I'm speaking generally.

I seriously doubt that can be an offensive recipe for success, down the stretch of close games, against solid or better teams, particularly on the road. The past nearly season and a half of evidence indicates that it can't.

It's all about context. He not only doesn't run near the amount Parker and Ginobili do, but most of his are probably of the secondary/side variety, where the defense is already bent/a step behind, in rotation.

Obviously, Leonard is a superior pick and roll option to Green. But he's not the kind of player that can break down a set defense off a high pick and roll and either get to the line or create for others. Most great go-to perimeter players excel at at least one of these the things.

The past season enough didnt have this Leonard though.

In any case, Ive been saying since the start of last season this team needs another legit three pointer or penetrator..

TD 21
12-27-2015, 06:11 PM
He has shown flashes esp in making assists. He recognizes open men better than our starting pg. Kawhi is about improving imho, but the team relies on a 37 yr old ginobili and a 34 yr old parker to deliver in the clutch. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Generally speaking, he just makes obvious or reactive passes.

The past season enough didnt have this Leonard though.

In any case, Ive been saying since the start of last season this team needs another legit three pointer or penetrator..

This Leonard is mostly an improved shooter/scorer.

Yeah, as I've said ad nauseam, they clearly need a Neal/Belinelli type, but I don't know about another slasher. Ultimately, the inability of their top players to get to the line, is the issue. They have a depth wing who can get to the line, in Simmons, but a fourth wing can only move the needle so much in this area.

apalisoc_9
12-27-2015, 06:44 PM

Yeah, as I've said ad nauseam, they clearly need a Neal/Belinelli type, but I don't know about another slasher. Ultimately, the inability of their top players to get to the line, is the issue. They have a depth wing who can get to the line, in Simmons, but a fourth wing can only move the needle so much in this area.

They def need another slasher with Manu retirement looming and Parker continues decline. I suggested forunier last year but it is impossible to get him now since Skiles fell inlove with him and is clearly their number 1 SG.

Should have nabbed him when his value was low...

Thats a three pointer, defensive player and a slasher and 22. His minutes were inconsistent with vaughn in the helm and i thought since they drafted hezonja he might be expandable.

Too bad skiles is a good coach and recognized his value before someone.nabbed him

ceperez
12-27-2015, 08:41 PM
They def need another slasher with Manu retirement looming and Parker continues decline. I suggested forunier last year but it is impossible to get him now since Skiles fell inlove with him and is clearly their number 1 SG.

Thats a three pointer, defensive player and a slasher and 22. His minutes were inconsistent with vaughn in the helm and i thought since they drafted hezonja he might be expandable.

Too bad skiles is a good coach and recognized his value before someone.nabbed him

Fournier was completely unexpected for me.

Good catch. Unfortunately, like you mention, too late now.

TD 21
12-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Right, but I'm talking right now, the only rotation spot up for grabs, is fourth wing and a high percentage, volume three-point shooter, is a greater need.

This team has proven they can overcome not getting to the line, but compounding it with a lack of three-point shooting, is what's likely to be primarily responsible for their demise, should they fail to win the championship (barring injuries, of course).

I don't know if Fournier's value was ever low, but yeah, it's obviously gone up significantly and they'd have no chance at getting him. Long term, second unit slashing/play making, will depend on how Anderson/Simmons develop, more so the latter.

100%duncan
12-27-2015, 10:26 PM

Well, he doesnt need to playmake like nash or manu. There are many superstars in the league who arent good at making plays for others except for guards obviously. The only superstar wing that is a good playmaker for others is lebron. Your criticism of him is totally unfair.

Aztecfan03
12-28-2015, 06:34 AM
https://45.media.tumblr.com/b645381c868ca85b8857ed518557d897/tumblr_nx8uv0LPbM1uh4ocvo1_250.gif

wut
12-28-2015, 10:38 AM
1) Good take by OP, in particular Spurs are missing end of game identity*
2) Spurs spacing has been bad lately and game against Houston was no exception and was a major cause of turnovers and difficult offense against the zone defense and aggressive lane jumpers
*3) I haven't decided if Kawhi not taking over in the 4th is by design or out of fear he may fail (hurting his growth) or isn't ready. I could understand why Pop might want to call plays at the end of games that don't rely on Kawahi right now, because he would rather not give the competition opportunity to find ways to stop Kawhi in the playoffs when it counts; but I concede this could just be wishful thinking and it could just be that he feels like he isn't ready and it could hurt his growth.

ceperez
12-28-2015, 10:46 AM
1) Good take by OP, in particular Spurs are missing end of game identity*
2) Spurs spacing has been bad lately and game against Houston was no exception and was a major cause of turnovers and difficult offense against the zone defense and aggressive lane jumpers
*3) I haven't decided if Kawhi not taking over in the 4th is by design or out of fear he may fail (hurting his growth) or isn't ready. I could understand why Pop might want to call plays at the end of games that don't rely on Kawahi right now, because he would rather not give the competition opportunity to find ways to stop Kawhi in the playoffs when it counts; but I concede this could just be wishful thinking and it could just be that he feels like he isn't ready and it could hurt his growth.

Zone defense with very long defenders seems to be Spurs kryptonite. It's like the Spurs needs the defense to react and they use the reaction to their advantage.

GSH
12-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Cavs, dubs, LA, OKC are consistent in late game situations.

Agree with you on this.

You're agreeing with that? C'mon... you're smarter than that. If Apolosic says "brief analysis" the ONLY thing you know is: it won't be brief, and it won't be analysis.

The Spurs are sitting on a .813 winning percentage. Other than the Warriors, the BEST of those other teams has a .679 winning percentage. So what the fuck does it mean for them to be "consistent in late game situations", but still lose more games?

The rest of the story is, the Spurs are AVERAGING a blowout. They have a season point differential of +13.1 per game, which means that most of their "late game situations" are garbage time. So by definition, this "analysis" of how they always play at the end of games is based on a stupidly small sample size of just a few games. The truth is, the Spurs performance this season would be considered unbelievably good, if Golden State's performance wasn't so unearthly and over-shadowing them.

One of Apolisuck's conclusions is that Pop can't coach worth a shit? A guy who couldn't get hired to coach a high school team is passing a death sentence on one of the best (if not THE best) coach in the NBA, and one of the 3 or 4 best in history? He says Pop can't draw up a play coming out of a time out? And this makes sense to you? Really?

Everything we've seen out of the Spurs this year, we've seen out of every Championship team in the past. They have bad nights. But then again, I guess there were people on SpursTalk pissing themselves all those other times, too.

Does anyone remember the 2010-2011 season? The Spurs were 51-11 (.822) with Dejuan Blair starting, but got manhandled by the Lakers. Pop took Blair out of the starting lineup and started fiddling with things. (To the delight of a bunch of ST people.) The team went 10-9 for the remainder of the season, and went out in the first round to Memphis. Be careful what you wish for.

dabom
12-28-2015, 01:42 PM
You're agreeing with that? C'mon... you're smarter than that. If Apolosic says "brief analysis" the ONLY thing you know is: it won't be brief, and it won't be analysis.

The Spurs are sitting on a .813 winning percentage. Other than the Warriors, the BEST of those other teams has a .679 winning percentage. So what the fuck does it mean for them to be "consistent in late game situations", but still lose more games?

The rest of the story is, the Spurs are AVERAGING a blowout. They have a season point differential of +13.1 per game, which means that most of their "late game situations" are garbage time. So by definition, this "analysis" of how they always play at the end of games is based on a stupidly small sample size of just a few games. The truth is, the Spurs performance this season would be considered unbelievably good, if Golden State's performance wasn't so unearthly and over-shadowing them.

One of Apolisuck's conclusions is that Pop can't coach worth a shit? A guy who couldn't get hired to coach a high school team is passing a death sentence on one of the best (if not THE best) coach in the NBA, and one of the 3 or 4 best in history? He says Pop can't draw up a play coming out of a time out? And this makes sense to you? Really?

Everything we've seen out of the Spurs this year, we've seen out of every Championship team in the past. They have bad nights. But then again, I guess there were people on SpursTalk pissing themselves all those other times, too.

Does anyone remember the 2010-2011 season? The Spurs were 51-11 (.822) with Dejuan Blair starting, but got manhandled by the Lakers. Pop took Blair out of the starting lineup and started fiddling with things. (To the delight of a bunch of ST people.) The team went 10-9 for the remainder of the season, and went out in the first round to Memphis. Be careful what you wish for.

what is your infatuation with Apol? Took your girlfriend or something. :lmao

DAF86
12-28-2015, 01:55 PM
I don't give a fuck about not winning close games. In 2014 we had the same problem during the RS and we all know how that turned out.

SAGirl
12-28-2015, 03:58 PM
I like to analyze things, maybe overanalyze them if you will. I like to read other opinions than my own if they are not troll posts. Very often I disagree with App, he does tend to troll, or stick to a schtick and he likes yo call way too much attention to himself fir a basketball forum.

I can appreciate though reading what he thought on a basketball game.

We haven't had many close games, but those we have had have been hit or miss and a series of execution blunders were the culprit. It's fine to look at it and draw your own conclusion. Regular season is a process. You don't want to be in a lot of close games, but if you are, you have to figure it out.

Sean Cagney
12-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Didn't read.

Spurs lost on Christmas per par.

They do always seem to lose on Christmas so I wish they would just stop scheduling them on that day and spare us.

houston spurs fan
12-28-2015, 04:05 PM
They do always seem to lose on Christmas so I wish they would just stop scheduling them on that day and spare us.
Yep, like 2 years ago vs. OKC. People said exact same things then and we know how that turned out

TD 21
12-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Well, he doesnt need to playmake like nash or manu. There are many superstars in the league who arent good at making plays for others except for guards obviously. The only superstar wing that is a good playmaker for others is lebron. Your criticism of him is totally unfair.

It's not only fair, it's correct. Leonard's assist and free throw rate are shockingly low for a player of his caliber. He's clearly the worst of the elite players in these areas.

It shows how unique a player he is though, that he was able to ascend to elite status despite obvious shortcomings in two areas typically associated with players of that caliber.

dabom
12-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Kawhi also has some of the lowest turnover rates compared to some of those assist and free throw guys.

Best defense in the league. Great efficient player on offense. Tons of go to moves. Really low turnover rates. Has improved his assist rate. Kawhi doesn't run the pick n roll too much to get assist numbers and there aren't any slashers in that starting lineup besides him. When he does get doubled, the ball moves around past the initial player that Kawhi passes it too.

The system still only allows tony and manu and patty to PnR more than Kawhi. It is fucking unfair to ask the guy to be a perfect fucking basketball player.

None of those other players are perfect either and I could find tons of faults with any other top 5 player in the league way easier than Kawhi.

RD2191
12-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Idgaf about his assists tbh. His defense alone makes him better than KD/PG.

dabom
12-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Idgaf about his assists tbh. His defense alone makes him better than KD/PG.

These guys keep moving the goal post. The last thing is free throws and assist and the system doesn't fully revolve around him PnR like lebron. :lmao

dabom
12-28-2015, 06:11 PM
3 ways to get Kawhi's assist up lebald edition.

1. Have more three point shooters around.

2. Have more slashers.

3 Run lots of PnR

I just summarized the criticism on Kawhi is unwarranted. :lol

100%duncan
12-28-2015, 06:42 PM
It's not only fair, it's correct. Leonard's assist and free throw rate are shockingly low for a player of his caliber. He's clearly the worst of the elite players in these areas.

It shows how unique a player he is though, that he was able to ascend to elite status despite obvious shortcomings in two areas typically associated with players of that caliber.

Of course he doesnt since Pop doesnt allow him to. Have we ever seen kawhi go on pnr action every game? No. Most of his assists are from passing out of doubles or from driving and finding the open man.

TD 21
12-28-2015, 06:52 PM
Of course he doesnt since Pop doesnt allow him to. Have we ever seen kawhi go on pnr action every game? No. Most of his assists are from passing out of doubles or from driving and finding the open man.

Yeah, that's what it is; Pop is holding him back . . . it's either that or Parker and Ginobili are superior pick-and-roll players.

100%duncan
12-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Yeah, that's what it is; Pop is holding him back . . . it's either that or Parker and Ginobili are superior pick-and-roll players.

:lol stop moving the goalposts of course they are better but franchises have to move on at a certain time. You said Leonard has no chance of being a good perimeter pkayer because of lack of skillset, well as everyone have seen this kid didnt have any notable skill coming from college and look how he is now.

You can't expect Kawhi to develop if he's not given chances to. I can go on circles with your unfair criticisms of him forever but doesnt that make you tired?

dabom
12-28-2015, 07:08 PM
:lol stop moving the goalposts of course they are better but franchises have to move on at a certain time. You said Leonard has no chance of being a good perimeter pkayer because of lack of skillset, well as everyone have seen this kid didnt have any notable skill coming from college and look how he is now.

You can't expect Kawhi to develop if he's not given chances to. I can go on circles with your unfair criticisms of him forever but doesnt that make you tired?

:lmao

RD2191
12-28-2015, 07:13 PM
It's crazy how Kawhi has so many haters within our own fanbase. Sad, really.

TD 21
12-28-2015, 07:18 PM

I never said "Leonard has no chance of being a good perimeter pkayer because of lack of skillset", you just made that up.

Again, play making is a more inherent skill. It's not like other areas, where he's taken a quantum leap. This is not about moving on or giving chances; this is about them being flat out better than him at it.

dabom
12-28-2015, 07:24 PM

No fucking board hates Kawhi for than his own fanbase. :lol

Sean Cagney
12-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Yep, like 2 years ago vs. OKC. People said exact same things then and we know how that turned out

We played OKC last christmas and they beat us without Durant I remember.

They played Houston 2 years ago and lost again.

http://espn.go.com/nba/gamecast?gameId=400489294&version=mobile&gcSection=boxscore&src=desktop

bic50
12-28-2015, 07:36 PM

100%duncan
12-28-2015, 07:37 PM
I never said "Leonard has no chance of being a good perimeter pkayer because of lack of skillset", you just made that up.

Again, play making is a more inherent skill. It's not like other areas, where he's taken a quantum leap. This is not about moving on or giving chances; this is about them being flat out better than him at it.

I meant playmaker sorry.

Of course, but not giving him any chances wont give him any progress either. I also give you instances where Kawhi has assisted and you simply brush it off as simple plays. Some of your criticism are really unfair and incorrect. I didnt comment about freethrows because I agree in that one.

ChumpDumper
12-28-2015, 07:37 PM
It's crazy how Kawhi has so many haters within our own fanbase. Sad, really.He really doesn't.