PDA

View Full Version : After last night, I think we can all agree...

Brian Windhorst
12-26-2015, 08:38 PM
...that, despite his shortcomings, #32 is a great color commentator compared to that schmuck Monaco. Bill was having to do all of the work and there was probably 20 full minutes of dead air overall. Monaco's heart is in the right place, but he had nothing interesting at all to say about basketball.

Having watched 99% of our regular season games since 2011-12, gotta appreciate the little things. We could be forced to suffer through Monaco every game, or be Houston fans and have to listen to Clyde...

:bobo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EL38SKyX8

Arcadian
12-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Elliott is great, one of the best in the business for sure...

Kool Bob Love
12-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Best SF in SPURS history.

Chris
12-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Monaco is a play by play guy; not a color guy. PJ was MIA I suppose.

TheGreatYacht
12-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Monaco is a play by play guy; not a color guy. PJ was MIA I suppose.
PJ was calling the game on ESPN

Sean & Bill are the best duo in the bis tbh :tu

Chris
12-26-2015, 09:50 PM
PJ was calling the game on ESPN

Sean & Bill are the best duo in the bis tbh :tu

I agree. I'm a big fan of Bill Schoening on the radio as well.

Silver&Black
12-26-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm a big fan of Bill Schoening on the radio as well.

Bill is the man...:tu

LaMarcus Bryant
12-26-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm just happy Sean Elliott was a national commentator for the 2003 campaign.

rastaspur
12-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Dude should stop saying kawow! Corny as fuck. Other than that, no complaints here.

houston spurs fan
12-27-2015, 01:50 AM
I watch em all on league pass or national tv. I know SE is called a homer, etc...But I live in H-town, two names for you: Worrell and Drexler. Jesus. Spur fans are lucky to have that group tbh...

spurs10
12-27-2015, 02:00 AM
I agree. I'm a big fan of Bill Schoening on the radio as well. For years I listened to him a lot because I was working a lot of nights. He's my favorite radio play-by-play guy in the business.

spurs10
12-27-2015, 02:01 AM
Dude should stop saying kawow! Corny as fuck. Other than that, no complaints here. Everyone says that! It's not going anywhere soon!!

tmtcsc
12-27-2015, 02:03 AM
Bill is the man...:tu

http://replygif.net/i/326.gif

tmtcsc
12-27-2015, 02:12 AM
Anytime I hear someone talk up Bill Schoening, I am convinced beyond a doubt that they've never heard another radio play by play guy. Bill Schoening is awful at his job. He's supposedly a very, very nice guy - but that doesn't make him good at what he does. He adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast for me as a listener. In fact, he takes away from it with his goofy Kawhi-not's, its a Manu tres, tre bien, and so on.

"Remember the Alamo, and remember your Spurs are Champions once again". -- Bill Schoening 2003 (How long did it take to think that one up?)

In my opinion, although its public knowledge the guy was an asshole, Jay Howard was the best. He took his job seriously and took pride in delivering broadcasts.

spurs10
12-27-2015, 03:49 AM
Anytime I hear someone talk up Bill Schoening, I am convinced beyond a doubt that they've never heard another radio play by play guy. Bill Schoening is awful at his job. He's supposedly a very, very nice guy - but that doesn't make him good at what he does. He adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast for me as a listener. In fact, he takes away from it with his goofy Kawhi-not's, its a Manu tres, tre bien, and so on.

"Remember the Alamo, and remember your Spurs are Champions once again". -- Bill Schoening 2003 (How long did it take to think that one up?)

In my opinion, although its public knowledge the guy was an asshole, Jay Howard was the best. He took his job seriously and took pride in delivering broadcasts. It's been 15 years since Jay did play-by-play. I don't remember much about him. I like the way Bill calls games, he's always been very listenable to me. Never missed a game, so I think he takes his job pretty seriously.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-27-2015, 07:23 AM
The Joel/Bill and Sean/Buckner/Blanks rotations were killer in 2002, 2003 etc.

It's too bad we haven't had a legit backup for either play-by-play or color for quite some time now. Can we trade Kyle Anderson, Monaco and a future 2nd to the Pelicans for Joel Meyers so Joel can back up Bill on his nights off? Monaco is sooooo mundane and has been garbage for soooooo long, particularly at the PBP slot. He's like Brandon Weeden/Matt Cassel to Bill's Tony Romo. Honestly.

gospursgojas
12-27-2015, 07:27 AM
It's weird how he phrases a lot of his comments as questions.

"What a great shot is it not?"
"Isn't it true that the interior passing is great on this team?"
"But that's the kind of aggression you want to see out of Kawhi, correct?"

Like have balls and make a damn statement.

SPURt
12-27-2015, 08:40 AM

I wonder if he wrote a bunch of one liners before the game and this one won out in his head? I hope it was Spur of the moment (Bill pun intended)

foodie2
12-27-2015, 09:45 AM
When Monaco is on AT ALL, I mute the sucker. Can't stand him. My most-hated thing by him, besides the way he structures his sentences ("He has 12 points and 6 rebounds, does Aldridge."): "Tony navigates. Shoots. Hits." Ugh.

DD
12-27-2015, 10:05 AM
:lolElliott is dogshit, who are we kidding? Only homers could appreciate him

Kikoluna
12-27-2015, 10:26 AM
I love bill land and sean. Just awesome guys to call the games. As far as Monaco, the guy is so nice and respectful that it's hard to hate the guy. I'll stick up for monaco. Good job !

Embedded
12-27-2015, 10:41 AM
I agree, Kikoluna.

pgardn
12-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Sean and his going "top shelf" is very worn. He is a huge homer but he does know the game. He can actually break down plays. Love to see Shaquille actually take Kenny Smith's spot and try it.

unleashbaynes
12-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Everyone calls Sean a homer but all local guys tend to be. At least he can give players on other teams credit when they do something impressive or show good hustle.

Brian Windhorst
12-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Everyone calls Sean a homer but all local guys tend to be. At least he can give players on other teams credit when they do something impressive or show good hustle.

That's what gets me, I've twice seen NBA Twitter celebs say that Sean is an insufferable homer, but he never actually derides the other team like say Heinsohn or Drexler, and he's generally pretty on point when it comes to analyzing the state of other teams. It's just that he mostly talk about the Spurs. It's like, would you prefer a commentator who doesn't have inside knowledge on the Spurs, but who talks objectively for half the time about the Nuggets, who he also doesn't have inside info on?

TheGreatYacht
12-27-2015, 11:58 AM
:lolElliott is dogshit, who are we kidding? Only homers could appreciate him
Wtf? He ain't a homer, he just happens "to miss" some calls that go our way :lol

Sean is the goat color commentator

TheGreatYacht
12-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Those Rockets commentators called Ginobili the biggest flopper in the game :lol

Flopper.... Rockets... Harden.....

Mel_13
12-27-2015, 12:39 PM

In my opinion, although its public knowledge the guy was an asshole, Jay Howard was the best. He took his job seriously and took pride in delivering broadcasts.

Have to disagree.

I've lived in several major metro areas over the last 30 years, including NYC, DC, Atlanta, and the Bay Area. For me, Schoening does a top notch job of letting me see the game through his words.

It's been 15 years since Jay did play-by-play. I don't remember much about him. I like the way Bill calls games, he's always been very listenable to me. Never missed a game, so I think he takes his job pretty seriously.

I've only heard clips of Howard, so I can't really compare, but I agree with your take on Bill.

Dancelot
12-27-2015, 02:13 PM
I watch em all on league pass or national tv. I know SE is called a homer, etc...But I live in H-town, two names for you: Worrell and Drexler. Jesus. Spur fans are lucky to have that group tbh...
This! I remember watching the Houston feed last year when they played the Spurs, ginobili came in & worrell said "and here comes the biggest flopper in the game". :lol

tonight...you
12-27-2015, 02:23 PM

I've been a fan of Schoening since his UT days and I like him as the radio voice of the Spurs, but you're right- Jay Howard was completely awesome and you can't put the two side by side.

I think I remember the reason for Jay leaving was because of "office politics" and if that was so... damn that's sad.

Chinook
12-27-2015, 03:46 PM
I think Sean is a much better analyst than he is a color commentator.

spurs10
12-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Have to disagree.

I've lived in several major metro areas over the last 30 years, including NYC, DC, Atlanta, and the Bay Area. For me, Schoening does a top notch job of letting me see the game through his words.

I've only heard clips of Howard, so I can't really compare, but I agree with your take on Bill. :bobo

spurs10
12-27-2015, 04:26 PM
I think Sean is a much better analyst than he is a color commentator. Seems the two jobs go hand and hand with the former players having a lot of good information to share. The "color" end of the job might be a little out of your average athletes wheelhouse, but I am really impressed with Sean's presence and energy. For those that call him a 'homer' I'm thinking "....and what team did you play on?"

HI-FI
12-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Bill Land is pretty good imo. I have no problems with Sean either. Worst for me are the Denver guys. I also like Breen and Frasier.

tmtcsc
12-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Whenever Sean talks, he raises his eyebrows and lowers the sides of his mouth. He looks like Beeker from the Muppets:

http://imageshack.com/a/img905/1170/kaFKk4.jpghttps://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-55152-0-51640000-1409428137.jpg