PDA

View Full Version : Boban per36....

coachmac87
12-27-2015, 05:33 PM
24pts 14reb 3blk 1stl 59%.....

Secret weapon

TheGreatYacht
12-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Gonna need him against Kanter and OKC. Maybe even Thompson and CLE... I can already see those scrubs hurt our bench

coachmac87
12-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Gonna need him against Kanter and OKC. Maybe even Thompson and CLE... I can already see those scrubs hurt our bench

Boban is secret weapon against GSW

bic50
12-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Should have played against the rockets.
Yeah I'm still pissed about that.

Kidd K
12-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Also don't forget:

ORating: 121
DRating: 89

Sure he hasn't played in a lot of important moments or that much in general, but a +32 positive difference in rating is pretty great

ceperez
12-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Same here. I wanted him to dish out some punishment.

Kawhitstorm
12-27-2015, 07:36 PM

Kanter has range like Jokic so he would expose Boban on the PnRs. Adams would be a better match up. Have LMA on the floor w/ Kanter to expose his defense &/fight him on the board s.

ceperez
12-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Kanter has range like Jokic so he would expose Boban on the PnRs. Adams would be a better match up. Have LMA on the floor w/ Kanter to expose his defense &/fight him on the board s.

Any center who can't shoot is a good matchup for Boban. Adams, Jordan, Howard, Bogut, Ezeli, Mozgov, ....

Budkin
12-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Pop won't play him in meaningful games.

Kawhitstorm
12-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Any center who can't shoot is a good matchup for Boban. Adams, Jordan, Howard, Bogut, Ezeli, Mozgov, ....

It also depends on whether he could hedge & recover if guys like Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Harden etc are on the floor. If not then a switch will be forced on PnRs thus he will be on an island against point guards or give up open jumpers if he decides not to hedge.

So far it seems like he can move north & south well enough for his size that it won't be a major issue against BACKUP point guards if he hedges up to the FT line & sags to clog up driving lanes.

SpursIndonesia
12-27-2015, 10:14 PM
I can see him works well against Westbrook-Adams PnR, or Rose-Noah PnR, essentially against a PnR of streaky/low percentage 3 pt shooting guards & non shooting bigs.

sasaint
12-27-2015, 10:20 PM
It also depends on whether he could hedge & recover if guys like Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Harden etc are on the floor. If not then a switch will be forced on PnRs thus he will be on an island against point guards or give up open jumpers if he decides not to hedge.

So far it seems like he can move north & south well enough for his size that it won't be a major issue against BACKUP point guards if he hedges up to the FT line & sags to clog up driving lanes.

That's a very good call. I wanted to see him against Jordan and Dwight, especially, but I really wasn't considering the bigger picture of team defense. Great observation.

:toast

I still wanna see him against Dwight and Jordan.

:ihit

100%duncan
12-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Pop won't play him in meaningful games.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-27-2015, 10:36 PM
The only matchup I see the Turd Towers having a chance in is GSW. Other than that, Boban should be the 4th big and West should ride the pine.

Kawhitstorm
12-27-2015, 10:41 PM
I still wanna see him against Dwight and Jordan.

Harden just runs ISOs for the most part & doesn't even let Dwight touch the ball :lol so he should be fine until the 4th quarter which is when Harden likes to run PnRs. He can also play when Pat Beverley is the main ball handler.

As far as the Clippers, he can't be on the floor when Paul is handling the ball b/c he is going to pick on Boban right away:lol otherwise Rivers/Crawford/Lance can chuck all they want:lol

Westbrook is so erratic it's impossible to game plan for him so it probably won't matter who's on the floor as long as they can protect the rim, which is something Boban is able to do just not when Kanter or Ibaka are playing center.

As far as the Warriors, maybe when Livingston/Ezeli are on the floor b/c Ezeli can't do much if he isn't in the paint (Bogut can find cutters if you don't pressure him) & Livingston only take shots from inside 15 ft. (Patty would be the one exposed against Livingston so Kyle/Simmons/Manu have to guard him)

Kawhitstorm
12-27-2015, 10:44 PM
The only matchup I see the Turd Towers having a chance in is GSW. Other than that, Boban should be the 4th big and West should ride the pine.

Ezeli would murder them in the paint:lol. Turd Towers are fine against the Clippers/Mavs backups unless Carlisle trusts Javale to play him in the postseason :lol

cutewizard
12-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Yao Ming numbers, tbh

cutewizard
12-27-2015, 10:48 PM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/bI3SRC8c5e7Hql4KmIqttQBD7Lo=/0x88:2142x1293/1600x900/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47292438/usa-today-8831117.0.jpg

cutewizard
12-27-2015, 10:48 PM
Bobanizedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd d! LOL

SAGirl
12-27-2015, 11:13 PM
I agree with you.
I think some other guys were pissed about that in the thread.

Free Boban!

tholdren
12-27-2015, 11:44 PM
If only per 36 were per game

Fireball
12-28-2015, 03:58 AM
Only a frontcourt injury would bring Boban on the court more often, and we do not want that to happen ...

DMC
12-28-2015, 06:18 AM
If all NBA teams played their garbage time players only, Boban would be a beast. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

coachmac87
12-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Lol get him more minutes!!!

SpurPadre
12-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Goddamnit, Slo-Mo!

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2015, 03:58 AM
Scored more points than he played minutes today. The PPG version of Bonner's (+/-)

ceperez
12-29-2015, 05:31 AM
If all NBA teams played their garbage time players only, Boban would be a beast. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Did he play garbage time minutes against the t-wolves?

GSH
12-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Jordan Mickey per-36 stats:

42 points, 18 RB, 6 AST, 6 BLK, and 18 FTA, with a FG% of .667 !!! How does he do it??

thiste
12-29-2015, 10:03 AM

We might get a taste of that at the Rookie game of the All Star week-end.

DMC
12-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Did he play garbage time minutes against the t-wolves?

Irrelevant. His per 36m is based on mostly garbage time minutes.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Irrelevant. His per 36m is based on mostly garbage time minutes.

True, but how many garbage time players have a 30+ PER. The highest on the team this season.

Spurs9
12-29-2015, 11:36 AM
He shot close to 70% fg in his career overseas, pretty crazy tbh

Agloco
12-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Boban is secret weapon against GSW

Not so secret anymore fwiw, tbh, iirc, etc.

DMC
12-29-2015, 01:59 PM
True, but how many garbage time players have a 30+ PER. The highest on the team this season.

I don't know and that's not the point. I think he could be a monster in the game and I've said as much. That high-low (more like a high-higher to him) that he doesn't bring down is borderline unstoppable and if he's fouled he's a knock down FT shooter (something that cripples other people his size). He can dribble enough to at least take a step now and then, and he can shoot the ball, doesn't panic in traffic and uses the glass well. He needs to work more on staying out of foul trouble because he will be targeted. His defense could be fort-like but we need him to be just a wall, not a shot blocker who gets into foul trouble. Also, he has to work on securing rebounds up and away from the little guys (lol, none of them are small) who will pilfer everything he brings down there.

Vokun
12-29-2015, 02:56 PM

I think you're selling him short tbh (which is pretty impossible to do)

GSH
12-29-2015, 02:58 PM
He shot close to 70% fg in his career overseas, pretty crazy tbh

Steph Curry is, as far as I'm concerned, the best shooter that has ever played the game. He still has to put in more seasons to actually deserve that crown, but he's one hell of a shooter, no? HE doesn't shoot 70%. So the fact that Boban did is more of a commentary on his range limitation that on his shooting. If it was as easy as "Toss it to Bobi in the paint and let him throw it down" his teams would have been undefeated. Why would you ever do anything else, if that worked every time? Nobody else on the team is shooting 70%, so go with what works, right?

The highlight reels (and that shooting percentage) don't show all the times that a shot doesn't go up, for whatever reason. I like the guy. I'm excited about him being here. But don't turn him into Godzilla FFS. I keep trying to say this - it's the fucking NBA. All the players are good. If you're a one-trick pony, they're going to figure you out and counter whatever it is you do. (Ask Danny Green.)

Boban has a nasty little turn-around that we haven't really seen yet. The Spurs are going to have to get creative with ways of getting the ball to him in the deep post. He's going to have to develop his passing, and also the timing on the PnR. Enjoy who and what he is, and the fact that he appears to be earning more minutes. That's as good as we could have expected.

Here... one example. Watch him on the PnR, after he comes out and sets a pick. He usually turns and goes full speed, right up the middle towards the basket. Guys are going to figure that out, and set up in front of him to draw offensive fouls. And for a while, he's going to get victimized by that. You can't throw him a bounce pass on the PnR, which is also an advantage for the ball hawks out there. The fact that he doesn't vary his pace or path (at least not often) makes the timing awkward, and that's why some of those PnR plays just fizzle out.

We saw the turn-around when he played in Europe. He's got a good, soft touch so I'm hopeful that they can add some pick and pop to his arsenal. But as much fun as he is to watch, he's still a work in progress here. He's smart and works hard, but some of you sound like he's the big Indian from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and if they'd just GIVE him 36 minutes, he'd average 24 and 14 for real.

He wouldn't. Even if he could go 36 minutes. Which he can't. Just enjoy having another contributor to the team.

if he's fouled he's a knock down FT shooter (something that cripples other people his size). He can dribble enough to at least take a step now and then

You're right about that. His ability to shoot FT's makes him a giant-sized pain in the ass for defenders. I don't think we're going to see too much of him dribbling. It's a long way between hand and floor for him.

ceperez
12-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Boban Rule #1 - Never sell Boban short.

ceperez
12-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Steph Curry is, as far as I'm concerned, the best shooter that has ever played the game. He still has to put in more seasons to actually deserve that crown, but he's one hell of a shooter, no? HE doesn't shoot 70%. So the fact that Boban did is more of a commentary on his range limitation that on his shooting. If it was as easy as "Toss it to Bobi in the paint and let him throw it down" his teams would have been undefeated. Why would you ever do anything else, if that worked every time? Nobody else on the team is shooting 70%, so go with what works, right?

The highlight reels (and that shooting percentage) don't show all the times that a shot doesn't go up, for whatever reason. I like the guy. I'm excited about him being here. But don't turn him into Godzilla FFS. I keep trying to say this - it's the fucking NBA. All the players are good. If you're a one-trick pony, they're going to figure you out and counter whatever it is you do. (Ask Danny Green.)

Boban has a nasty little turn-around that we haven't really seen yet. The Spurs are going to have to get creative with ways of getting the ball to him in the deep post. He's going to have to develop his passing, and also the timing on the PnR. Enjoy who and what he is, and the fact that he appears to be earning more minutes. That's as good as we could have expected.

Here... one example. Watch him on the PnR, after he comes out and sets a pick. He usually turns and goes full speed, right up the middle towards the basket. Guys are going to figure that out, and set up in front of him to draw offensive fouls. And for a while, he's going to get victimized by that. You can't throw him a bounce pass on the PnR, which is also an advantage for the ball hawks out there. The fact that he doesn't vary his pace or path (at least not often) makes the timing awkward, and that's why some of those PnR plays just fizzle out.

We saw the turn-around when he played in Europe. He's got a good, soft touch so I'm hopeful that they can add some pick and pop to his arsenal. But as much fun as he is to watch, he's still a work in progress here. He's smart and works hard, but some of you sound like he's the big Indian from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and if they'd just GIVE him 36 minutes, he'd average 24 and 14 for real.

He wouldn't. Even if he could go 36 minutes. Which he can't. Just enjoy having another contributor to the team.

You're right about that. His ability to shoot FT's makes him a giant-sized pain in the ass for defenders. I don't think we're going to see too much of him dribbling. It's a long way between hand and floor for him.

With his massive size and his skills, there are a ton of plays that can be drawn up to get Boban the ball in the paint. If he's in the paint, that's a ridiculous high percentage or a foul.

The Spurs are uniquely gifted with the most creative and accurate passers in the planet. Manu and Bobo. That's not even considering Duncan, Parker, Anderson and Simmons that are also above average passers.

To make matters even worse for the defenders, Boban is actually a very good passer from the post. He's more than once made a cross court pass to an open Mills. This isn't the conventional post and kick pass.

But I do agree, he may not be able to play extended minutes. Yet for the few minutes he plays, it'll be punishment for the opponent.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Boban just needs to do a one dribble in the post like Hakeem. He has that soft touch like Hakeem. What he lacks in the athleticism Hakeem had he makes up for it in his 9' 7 1/2" reach. Boban is pretty much un guard-able when he is on like he was last night. He can shoot with both hands, off both shoulders. Boban is probably the strongest post player to play the game since a Prime Shaq. Broke the rim in his D league game. Officials had to tell him not to dunk so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmccDKumnXQ

Boban was owning Gortat, the same guy who was voted ECF POY this past week. So it's not like he has just been owning scrubs at this point.

The guy has been nothing short of amazing. There is a reason why even the Sixers fans were cheering for him. Guys his size (almost 7'4" and 300lb) shouldn't be playing and passing like him.

ceperez
12-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Boban just needs to do a one dribble in the post like Hakeem. He has that soft touch like Hakeem. What he lacks in the athleticism Hakeem had he makes up for it in his 9' 7 1/2" reach. Boban is pretty much un guard-able when he is on like he was last night. He can shoot with both hands, off both shoulders. Boban is probably the strongest post player to play the game since a Prime Shaq. Broke the rim in his D league game. Officials had to tell him not to dunk so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmccDKumnXQ

Boban was owning Gortat, the same guy who was voted ECF POY this past week. So it's not like he has just been owning scrubs at this point.

The guy has been nothing short of amazing. There is a reason why even the Sixers fans were cheering for him. Guys his size (almost 7'4" and 300lb) shouldn't be playing and passing like him.

Good observation. Gortat definitely not a scrub.

DMC
12-29-2015, 05:58 PM
So many of you deal in bifurcation. One must either be for or against another, there's no gradient.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2015, 06:05 PM

He more like a 7'3" version of Nikola Peković than Hakeem/Shaq:lol:

cVn-HlFr7kE

Spurtacular
01-22-2016, 09:51 AM
24pts 14reb 3blk 1stl 59%.....

Secret weapon

25 pts, 15 rebs, 2 1/2 blks, 1 1/2 Stls, 60% FG, 74% FT

And not that secret of a weapon, anymore. He'll get the max deal in FA, imo.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-22-2016, 10:01 AM
25 pts, 15 rebs, 2 1/2 blks, 1 1/2 Stls, 60% FG, 74% FT

No he won't. But he will get a contract at least around 6-7mil a year next season. Spurs can match (he will be a RFA) as teams can't exceed MLE next year for his salary but the contract will be back loaded, similar to Asik and Lin contracts. This plays beautifully for the Spurs as the Spurs will have room to resign all their players and still retain Boban. Factor that Duncan more than likely will be retiring next season, the Spurs will need for him to contribute more in a couple of years.

ceperez
01-22-2016, 10:05 AM
No he won't. But he will get a contract at least around 6-7mil a year next season. Spurs can match (he will be a RFA) as teams can't exceed MLE next year for his salary but the contract will be back loaded, similar to Asik and Lin contracts. This plays beautifully for the Spurs as the Spurs will have room to resign all their players and still retain Boban. Factor that Duncan more than likely will be retiring next season, the Spurs will need for him to contribute more in a couple of years.

Right. Team's can't exceed the MLE, so that caps the salary. Further, teams aren't going to invest long term on a 7'3" center. There's no evidence out there that they can last a long time.

Also, Boban's defense isn't that great when he's out of position. He doesn't have the mobility to quickly recover.

ceperez
01-22-2016, 10:09 AM
He more like a 7'3" version of Nikola Peković than Hakeem/Shaq:lol:

cVn-HlFr7kE

I agree. Plays very effective below the rim.

GSH
01-22-2016, 11:57 AM

No, he won't. And you'll still be too busy maintaining your Jimmer thread to notice.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Duncan isn't retiring until the 2017 offseason, tbh.

Spurtacular
01-22-2016, 01:26 PM
No he won't.

No, he won't.

Basic Economics. Centers that can put up 22 and 13 are in very low supply / high demand. He'll command the max.

jhfenton
01-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Basic Economics. Centers that can put up 22 and 13 are in very low supply / high demand. He'll command the max.

By max, you mean the MLE? If so, maybe. If he gets more PT down the stretch and continues to impress. If you mean the usual FA max, then no, no one is allowed to offer him that.

littlecoyotecoin
01-22-2016, 03:38 PM

This is a really good take and should be bumped.

wildbill2u
01-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Lets not forget that behind the back drop off pass to a cutting player (Mills?) along the base line the other night. That's not a pass that some stumblebum would make, much less try. By the way, a couple of times, it almost looked to me that he was playing a center-zone around the lane the other night. He certainly was floating around on the side where the ball was and not too close to his man. I don't have a machine that records so can't vouch for it.

Knoxxx
01-22-2016, 07:16 PM
The bad I noticed on Boban: kind of soft in grabbing contested rebounds and going to the basket in traffic. Also gets out of position, recovers slowly, and reaches. Needs to get in better position more consistently and hands up straight rather than leaning or reaching.

I mention these things because he is an exciting prospect and if he corrects some of that he could become quite formidable.

littlecoyotecoin
01-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Lets not forget that behind the back drop off pass to a cutting player (Mills?) along the base line the other night. That's not a pass that some stumblebum would make, much less try. By the way, a couple of times, it almost looked to me that he was playing a center-zone around the lane the other night. He certainly was floating around on the side where the ball was and not too close to his man. I don't have a machine that records so can't vouch for it.

If it matters, I think it was Danny Green, not Mills. It was a flashy little pass...I believe the play went awry afterwards for some reason...player stepped out of bounds maybe, foul, etc...but that doesn't take away from that sweet pass.

zrinkill
01-22-2016, 08:06 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GCJ1jcxs--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/oyoqzkvmtm1fi0fimk19.gif

Boban scaring Jeremy Evans

http://deadspin.com/giant-monster-dunks-on-poor-sucker-poor-sucker-laughs-1753572967

Spurtacular
01-22-2016, 08:49 PM
By max, you mean the MLE? If so, maybe. If he gets more PT down the stretch and continues to impress. If you mean the usual FA max, then no, no one is allowed to offer him that.

Yea, if what you say is correct, then sure. But if he's eligible for FA, he'll command the max.

coachmac87
03-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Sooooo is he gonna be a weapon come playoffs or nah?

Kawhitstorm
03-24-2016, 02:03 AM
Sooooo is he gonna be a weapon come playoffs or nah?

He's going to play the same role as Patty in 2012 aka will be on the playoff roster but only plays extra garbage minutes.

lilbthebasedgod
03-24-2016, 02:07 AM
Won't even play in playoffs. I love the dude but literally no reason for him to. Tim will play more minutes so you have less time with diaw west defense combo.

coachmac87
04-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Seriously will he get legit run this postseason?

Vito Corleone
04-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Seriously will he get legit run this postseason?

No.

He will play at the end of blowout games, and that is it.

Seventyniner
04-15-2016, 10:39 AM
I think he'll get decent minutes against Memphis to save the other bigs. But I don't see him playing in anything other than garbage time past the first round. Maybe against a Thunder bench lineup that includes both Collison and Kanter?

boutons_deux
04-15-2016, 10:54 AM
He still looks somewhat lost, somewhat overwhelmed, totally lacking in "attitude" (except some little guy grabs his nuts).

TrainOfThought5
04-15-2016, 11:04 AM

If he plays well in the first two rounds.... all bets are off regarding what other teams might offer. It might be smart to sign&trade him in the offseason. Get a decently high pick, a PG and some cash.