PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Something I've thought of for 10 years. Why don't they expand to 86 games?

UNT Eagles 2016
12-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Start earlier in October, push back the preseason and reduce it.

The thing is, back when it was 29 teams for that long stretch, it was kind of bizarre for the East, but worked perfectly for the West. All teams played their own conference teams four times each, and opposite conference teams twice each. Very axisymmetrical.

But ever since 2004 (the expansion Bobcats/Hornets) have come into the league, we've had 30 teams and there's been an issue with strength of schedule being a confounding variable because some teams play others in the conference only three times, while other teams get four meetings. (Six out of ten non-division conference rivals are played 4 times per season, the other four only 3 times, this is rotated from season to season on a six-year basis). This could mean playing the Warriors, Clippers, Thunder and Jazz 4 times while a division rival (say the Rockets in a better year for them) only plays all those teams only 3 times. So, if the records are close at the end of the year, say one game difference or tied (with the Rockets in this scenario winning a conference record tiebreaker) this really is not fair. This disparity has no business being in the NBA considering the number of games played; this is not the full-contact NFL that only plays 16 games and plays each non-conference team only once every four years.

Make sense?

100%duncan
12-28-2015, 07:14 PM
No

Reck
12-28-2015, 07:16 PM
The schedule should be 60 games. They should dramatically reduced the games, not expand it.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-28-2015, 07:21 PM
The schedule should be 60 games. They should dramatically reduced the games, not expand it.

If you want to shorten, I came up with a number: 66. Every team plays non-conference teams twice, in-conference non division teams twice, and division rivals four times. Keeps the confounders to a minimum

Spurtacular
12-28-2015, 07:26 PM
There's already a perception that there are too many games. But it would be nice to have a more balanced schedule.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-28-2015, 07:28 PM
There's already a perception that there are too many games. But it would be nice to have a more balanced schedule.

If anything, baseball has too many games. But not the NBA.

DMC
12-28-2015, 07:48 PM
They should play till end of December then jump to the playoffs.

K...
12-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Silver promised to add a midseason tournament to add season length. I like that idea.

Mal
12-28-2015, 10:34 PM
Silver promised to add a midseason tournament to add season length. I like that idea.

Like march madness ? 30 teams, winner takes it all ? Oh I`d love Popovich going after that title/cup/whatever hard

TDMVPDPOY
12-28-2015, 11:05 PM
powerhouse teams should be playing against each other 4 games minimum no matter what conference they from

decrease their games against bottom feeders...just wasting time and energy hosting another shit team with no benefit besides the automatic win and padding stats

Silver&Black
12-28-2015, 11:20 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4454665/horrible-idea-o.gif

60 games would be fine....~65 tops.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-29-2015, 03:45 AM
powerhouse teams should be playing against each other 4 games minimum no matter what conference they from

decrease their games against bottom feeders...just wasting time and energy hosting another shit team with no benefit besides the automatic win and padding stats

Problem with that is you can't auto-predict who's going to be a powerhouse team... injuries, struggling, etc. But you can do it like the NFL where division winners play each other the most, 2nd place teams play 2nd place teams the most... all the way down through 5th. That would be an attempt to increase parity

cd021
12-29-2015, 09:43 AM

He mentioned on the lowepost, that the idea wasn't very popular but would revisit it later.

BD24
12-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Yea a midseason tourney sounds like an awful idea. This isn't college ball.