PDA

View Full Version : Parker's heroballing is out of control in closeout situations. His usage percentage..

midnightpulp
12-29-2015, 06:37 AM
is behind such players as D'Bust, Efrid Payton, JJ Barea, and even our own Patty Mills.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/clutch/advanced/?sort=USG_PCT&dir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerPosition=G

Ah, but surely his 4th quarter usage must be excessive?

Nope:

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/usage/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4&sort=USG_PCT&dir=1&TeamID=1610612759

Mel_13
12-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Clouding the issue with facts...

ceperez
12-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Parker is the best ball handler in the team. He's also the second best scorer.

No complaints on my part. He's not at his peak, but some games he's pretty impressive.

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2015, 06:44 AM
:wow

Fireball
12-29-2015, 06:45 AM
the last games were bad ... no doubt about it ... we need him to get back on track

rasuo214
12-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Can you guys keep your Parker vs Kawhi battles in 1 thread?

But since you posted the links, Patty and Manu have a positive net rating and a higher offrtg than Parker in the Clutch. Also Danny should not be getting the ball (why is his usage so high?).

As for Parker overall, he's been a good efficient player this season and he is the least of the Spurs worries right now. I'm not a fan of games like tonight when he gets tunnel vision and opts to dribble an entire possession away but thankfully he has reduced that quite a bit.

midnightpulp
12-29-2015, 06:54 AM

But since you posted the links, Patty and Manu have a positive net rating and a higher offrtg than Parker in the Clutch. Also Danny should not be getting the ball (why is his usage so high?).

As for Parker overall, he's been a good efficient player this season and he is the least of the Spurs worries right now. I'm not a fan of games like tonight when he gets tunnel vision and opts to dribble an entire possession away but thankfully he has reduced that quite a bit.

Parker has always been terrible in the clutch. That's not what I'm arguing. I'm just debunking the idea that he excessively heroballs in late game situations.

I'm also on the Kawhi side of this "debate," but Parker hate (at this moment in time) is unjustified. He's playing good ball this season. The whole team is actually playing unselfishly and every player seems to be committed to defense.

TheMulletMan3000
12-29-2015, 06:57 AM

:tu

midnightpulp
12-29-2015, 06:58 AM
the last games were bad ... no doubt about it ... we need him to get back on track

I'm in the 3rd quarter of rewatching this game, and he hasn't been "Enrique" in this game, despite Apa's cherry pick. He didn't have a good shooting night, but he played an overall good floor management game.

rasuo214
12-29-2015, 07:04 AM
Parker has always been terrible in the clutch. That's not what I'm arguing. I'm just debunking the idea that he excessively heroballs in late game situations.

I'm also on the Kawhi side of this "debate," but Parker hate (at this moment in time) is unjustified. He's playing good ball this season. The whole team is actually playing unselfishly and every player seems to be committed to defense.

I agree Parker doesn't deserve the hate he has gotten, he is an easy target. Also hard to complain when the team is playing so well, obviously still things to improve on.

I didn't mean to direct the comment at you with the Kawhi vs Parker "debates", that was more of a general comment.

SpursIndonesia
12-29-2015, 07:06 AM
I'm in the 3rd quarter of rewatching this game, and he hasn't been "Enrique" in this game, despite Apa's cherry pick. He didn't have a good shooting night, but he played an overall good floor management game.

In a few possessions, indeed he was forcing the issue a bit too much, looking to score first & foremost, and that's quite an eyesore. But like the facts that you've presented above, he is NOT dominating all possessions, his usage is not too much. But his shots were not falling tonight, and that has made the issue worse than it actually was. Especially when people with agenda keep on bitching about it & attention whoring all over the place.

Obstructed_View
12-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Parker has always been terrible in the clutch.

:lmao

Fireball
12-29-2015, 07:33 AM

I think he reacted helplessly when he got trapped in the first half and dribbled way too much in the second half ...

100%duncan
12-29-2015, 07:41 AM
He has played well the whole season, so its not surprising. The problem comes from recent games, esp against the rox where he must have taken and bricked 3-4 shots in a row in the fourth. Not to mention his signature dribble dribble dribble dribble shoot/pass is slowly starting to resurface.

J_Paco
12-29-2015, 08:45 AM
He has played well the whole season, so its not surprising. The problem comes from recent games, esp against the rox where he must have taken and bricked 3-4 shots in a row in the fourth. Not to mention his signature dribble dribble dribble dribble shoot/pass is slowly starting to resurface.

You should really rethink your username, 100%wrong would suit you better. I think most starting point guards tend to overdribble, especially if the starting unit lacks a secondary ball handler like the Spurs does. Yet, the point that he "dribble, dribble, dribble & shot" is stupid and untrue when the Spurs have been top 5 in assists per game the last 4 or 5 straight years.

GSH
12-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Clouding the issue with facts...

LOL... I was going to say the same thing. Don't start tossing facts around up in here. That just makes 'em angry.

Parker has always been terrible in the clutch. That's not what I'm arguing.

Damn, and you were doing so well for a minute.

pgardn
12-29-2015, 09:46 AM

But he had some really bad plays last night.

You have to understand a player is only as good as his last game for the krew.

dabom
12-29-2015, 10:18 AM
LOL... I was going to say the same thing. Don't start tossing facts around up in here. That just makes 'em angry.

Damn, and you were doing so well for a minute.Didn't you say you were going to stop watching the NBA? What happened faggot? :lmao

100%duncan
12-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Parker doesnt commit mistakes!!!!

Agloco
12-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Didn't you say you were going to stop watching the NBA? What happened faggot? :lmao

Standard response: "faggot" followed by Emoticon 1 or 2.

How about some discussion about the evidence presented by the OP?

RD2191
12-29-2015, 11:51 AM
OP is a faggot.

RD2191
12-29-2015, 11:52 AM

Why didn't you call out the cat krew when they were fagging up apos legit thread? Oh that's right, it's because you're a huge bitch.

dabom
12-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Shutup stinky french faggot. :lmao

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Role player Krew deflecting per par

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Why didn't you call out the cat krew when they were fagging up apos legit thread? Oh that's right, it's because you're a huge bitch.

http://youtu.be/T3AeRbqhi0I

bic50
12-29-2015, 05:06 PM
greattyranny making its defenders look stupid.

Ignignokt
12-29-2015, 05:18 PM
In related news, Midnight pulp sells the band of flip ladyboys to Isis for their treachery.

YGWHI
12-29-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm in the 3rd quarter of rewatching this game.

I assume you have finished the game...What happened with Parker in 2 or 3 consecutive possessions when he was forcing the issue, missing shots, and still looking for his shot in the next play instead of creating for others? That dribble dribble dribble and shoot was Heroball or nah?

Kikoluna
12-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Parker is the best ball handler in the team. He's also the second best scorer.

No complaints on my part. He's not at his peak, but some games he's pretty impressive.

I'll have what you're drinking. This guy , lol 2nd best scorer? It's leonard, Aldridge, mills, duncan, manu, green, boban. ...then parker

YGWHI
12-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Parker has always been terrible in the clutch.

Since that the Spurs have failed to win close games, and Parker has been terrible in the clutch...

Should the Spurs try to change this tendency playing the other guard who has been more effective in those situations?

Nah. If we have learned one thing from last playoffs is that Pop won't do it. Never.

ChumpDumper
12-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Members of the krew need blue font training wheels.

Hoops Czar
12-29-2015, 06:32 PM
is behind such players as D'Bust, Efrid Payton, JJ Barea, and even our own Patty Mills.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/clutch/advanced/?sort=USG_PCT&dir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerPosition=G

Ah, but surely his 4th quarter usage must be excessive?

Nope:

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/usage/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4&sort=USG_PCT&dir=1&TeamID=1610612759

What's even more damning is the same player fans calling out Tony Parker for being a ball hog are the same fans that are clamoring for Kawhi to get more touches/shots in the clutch. I once heard that the Spurs use sabermetrics and analytical data more than any other team. Maybe they're aware that Kawhi's eFG% (57%) and TS% (61.3%) take a dive in the clutch, eFG% (38.9%) TS% (53.7%).

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/clutch/advanced/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=1

Parker heroballing in closeout situations is more of a myth than anything based upon facts.

Usage in the clutch

Kawhi 24.2%
Parker 23.5% (Obviously the offense runs through the PG position so Parker's usage rating is going to be higher)

% of FG's made

Kawhi 19.4%
Parker 32.3%

% of FG's attempted

Kawhi 25.4%
Parker 25.4%

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/clutch/usage/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=1

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2015, 06:57 PM
What's even more damning is the same player fans calling out Tony Parker for being a ball hog are the same fans that are clamoring for Kawhi to get more touches/shots in the clutch. I once heard that the Spurs use sabermetrics and analytical data more than any other team. Maybe they're aware that Kawhi's eFG% (57%) and TS% (61.3%) take a dive in the clutch, eFG% (38.9%) TS% (53.7%).

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/clutch/advanced/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=1

Parker heroballing in closeout situations is more of a myth than anything based upon facts.

Usage in the clutch

Kawhi 24.2%
Parker 23.5% (Obviously the offense runs through the PG position so Parker's usage rating is going to be higher)

% of FG's made

Kawhi 19.4%
Parker 32.3%

% of FG's attempted

Kawhi 25.4%
Parker 25.4%

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/clutch/usage/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=1
:wow don't expect the Krew to respond to this nuke tbh. Got em

midnightpulp
12-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Don't get me wrong, I've been one of Parker's biggest critics, and if he starts being a detriment again, I'll be right there with my pitchfork in hand. But right now, he's playing his role as well as he can. Cherry picking specific possessions doesn't prove otherwise.

Furthermore, Parker is going to need possessions where he dribbles-dribbles-dribbles for the purpose of probing the paint and getting the opposing defense rotating and collapsing. If the Spurs want to win a championship, Parker penetration/probing needs to be established as a viable threat. Turning Parker into Derek Fisher where his only job is to throw the ball to Leonard and then run to a spot up position would destroy the offense and actually hurt more than help Kawhi's game. That said, dribble-dribble-dribble on the perimeter only to shoot a contested 18 footer is not good. Thankfully, Parker has limited that habit this year.

If the Spurs had another probing type player in the starting lineup who could pressure the defense, everything would be a lot easier. This is why when Manu comes in for Green, the NET RTG jumps nearly 20 points. Problem is, Manu can't play starter minutes and he's also vital to the bench unit.

The solution to make the SL a more dynamic offense is for Leonard to add another facet to his game and become someone who can set up the offense from the dribble, much like Kobe/Jordan used to set up the triangle. And I'm seeing more of this game to game from Leonard (think of that errant pass he tried to get to Boban last night. Leonard was in "set up the offense role" in that sequence), with Parker actually deferring to Kawhi at times and passing him the ball early in the clock as they cross half court.

YGWHI
12-29-2015, 08:34 PM
And I'm seeing more of this game to game from Leonard (think of that errant pass he tried to get to Boban last night. Leonard was in "set up the offense role" in that sequence), with Parker actually deferring to Kawhi at times and passing him the ball early in the clock as they cross half court.

Do you really see it? I can't remember more than two plays like that, Kawhi passing to Patty to close the quarter in Houston and that pass to Boban.

In fact, I read people find it concerning that in recent games his attempts were with the clock winding down and expecting the team to stop the bail out attempts and give him more time to operate.

rasuo214
12-29-2015, 08:53 PM

Usage in the clutch

Kawhi 24.2%

% of FG's made

Kawhi 19.4%
Parker 32.3%

% of FG's attempted

Kawhi 25.4%
Parker 25.4%

What are the parameters for the stats? The first one is limited to only 4 minutes worth and the 2nd one is 39 minutes.

Edit: Not sure why the minutes are different.

Looking at it Kawhi has 27.8% of the points, Parker 26.7. Also according to those stats Kawhi has been our best FT shooter in the clutch yet people still like to bring that up. :lol

midnightpulp
12-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Do you really see it? I can't remember more than two plays like that, Kawhi passing to Patty to close the quarter in Houston and that pass to Boban.

In fact, I read people find it concerning that in recent games his attempts were with the clock winding down and expecting the team to stop the bail out attempts and give him more time to operate.

I don't remember all of the specific possessions, but Kawhi has been doing more off the dribble, whether through penetration or playmaking, than he ever has before.

$pursDynasty
12-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Yet of the big 3 Tony is the one that gets the DNP rest the least, while the team is on a historic run. It says to me that Pop can afford to let TD and Manu catch a breather to keep them sharp and fresh but isn't sure if the offense can operate at all without TP in the mix not just against the good teams but even the average ones. Unless someone lights a fire under Bobo, I am not sure who can run the offense for long stretches against even competent teams. Anyone saying Patty or McC can do it are just hating. J. Jacks is too expensive but hindsight being 20/20 maybe we should have picked Ish Smith off the street, except for the fact I am enjoying seeing the 6ers competitive, it would be good to have a Mo Williams type backup PG that can run the offense, and not just a streaky shooter.