PDA

View Full Version : How do we retain Boban

Cklbmk
12-29-2015, 11:29 AM
We have 5mil cap space if everyone opts in and we let McCallum, Bonner, and Butler walk.

Boban is going to get more than 5mil I assume. Do we try to clear space for him?

Does West come back if Boban keeps playing like this? Is he ok with being 5th big?

Would Tim and Manu opt out and take the minimum? Then they could spend like 12 mil

Uriel
12-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Boban is not going to get more than $5M.

Spurs9
12-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Well the good news is the cap is going up next year.

Mel_13
12-29-2015, 11:36 AM
He's going to be a restricted free agent covered by the Gilbert Arenas provision. Cap space won't be an issue.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-29-2015, 11:41 AM
We have 5mil cap space if everyone opts in and we let McCallum, Bonner, and Butler walk.

Boban is going to get more than 5mil I assume. Do we try to clear space for him?

Does West come back if Boban keeps playing like this? Is he ok with being 5th big?

Would Tim and Manu opt out and take the minimum? Then they could spend like 12 mil

Dude, the Spurs will have the Full MLE to throw at Boban and its going to be over 7mil for next season as its based on the % of the Salary Cap (projected to go up to 85-90 mil next year. Spurs can resign Bonner and Butler for the Vet min no matter if there over the cap. With Boban, West (PO more than likely opting out), Bonner, Butler, Ray all coming off the books, the Spurs will be just a tad under 80mil. Let's say the cap is 87mil next year. Spurs can use the 7+ to split between West and Ray, upping their salaries. Bonner and Butler, if they return, will be signed for the Vet Min. Spurs will have the Full MLE to sign Boban, which should be over 7mil a year.

Spurs have more than enough to retain the entire next season. Spurs will more than likely use their MLE to retain Boban. West and Duncan aren't going to be playing forever.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-29-2015, 11:44 AM
He's going to be a restricted free agent covered by the Gilbert Arenas provision. Cap space won't be an issue.

Forgot about that. Spurs won't even need to use the MLE to retain Boban as they can match any offer and its the same as resigning your own player. So the Spurs will have the MLE to sign another player.

Spurs are in a really good position for next year's FA.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-29-2015, 11:48 AM
If they want him back they'll likely have him back.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2015, 06:00 PM
By feeding him Buffalos like Homer when he played Paul Bunyan.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/c469a3f78b8669dcd5da18a666801ef4/tumblr_nacmhtWCdw1qh59n0o1_500.png

https://media.giphy.com/media/MsFCEVDu3TteM/giphy.gif

https://meblogwritegood.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-19-at-1-46-29-pm.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/4ee7aacc665337658dc9eca832a64d33/tumblr_nacml4VfVM1qh59n0o2_500.png

http://41.media.tumblr.com/eb1b17dde85a346b8bbd15c28c820cc2/tumblr_nacml4VfVM1qh59n0o3_500.png

cd021
12-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Forgot about that. Spurs won't even need to use the MLE to retain Boban as they can match any offer and its the same as resigning your own player. So the Spurs will have the MLE to sign another player.

Not sure the spurs will be over the cap next year. If West, Duncan, and Manu all opt in and return + McCullum and Simmons+ Bobans QAs or team options get picked up, then they have about $88.155 million in salary. The cap could easily hit $90 million

Mel_13
12-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Not sure the spurs will be over the cap next year. If West, Duncan, and Manu all opt in and return + McCullum and Simmons+ Bobans QAs or team options get picked up, then they have about $88.155 million in salary. The cap could easily hit $90 million

In your scenario, the Spurs would use the MLE.

daslicer
12-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Not concerned about Boban leaving since the spurs can match and he's restricted. If he continues to improve at the rate he's going I'm sure the Spurs will keep him but lets wait and see how this year ends before we speculate on Boban's value.

ceperez
12-30-2015, 07:52 AM

I think it will fit, McCallum gets waived and in that 88m figure you have Boban's $1.5m salary. So its like $85m and Boban worse case would be MLE rate.

cutewizard
12-30-2015, 08:01 AM
https://twitter.com/steventurous/status/681682169731878913/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

cutewizard
12-30-2015, 08:01 AM
https://twitter.com/steventurous/status/681682169731878913/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Richie
12-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Boban is good but I'm not sure I'd want to pay him the full MLE. He's a situational player who will only contribute in the playoffs against a small number of teams, and even then in very limited minutes.

cd98
12-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Guys that big always breakdown fast in the NBA. Yao, Mureson, etc. I get that the undersized bigs can't guard him down low, but between the high likelihood of broken feet etc from being that big and the fact that if he played regular minutes then coaches would game plan for him and expose his weaknesses, I don't see the Spurs or anyone over paying for him.

littlecoyotecoin
12-30-2015, 09:22 AM

We keep getting lucky. It's almost like the front office took some of these things into consideration when signing everyone this year.

cd021
12-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Guys that big always breakdown fast in the NBA. Yao, Mureson, etc. I get that the undersized bigs can't guard him down low, but between the high likelihood of broken feet etc from being that big and the fact that if he played regular minutes then coaches would game plan for him and expose his weaknesses, I don't see the Spurs or anyone over paying for him.
Eaton was taller and had a very good career.

EVAY
12-30-2015, 12:19 PM
money.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Eaton was taller and had a very good career.

Played until he was like 36 years old. Boban is the offensive version of Eaton.

Dingle Barry
12-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Shawn Bradley played 14 seasons at 7'6"

cjw
12-30-2015, 01:15 PM

I looked at this in another thread: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255475&p=8332114#post8332114

Lots of track record of 7'3"+ guys with injury issues - also Ralph Sampson. But there is a good set of guys who played to their mid-to-late 30s and stayed relatively healthy. Sabonis, Ilgauskas, Eaton, Smits.

He had a long career despite being a complete stiff. 12 seasons - double counting the two he got traded midyear.

That said, he was kaput by the time he was 28 with the exception of one resurgent year in Dallas (Spurs' 2003 title year).

GSH
12-30-2015, 01:49 PM

On the Arenas provision, I think they either have to use the MLE if they still have it, or use Early Bird. Early Bird requires a player to have been in the league two years, and Boban will only have one. So I think the Spurs would have to use their MLE to exceed the cap. I'm sure someone will correct me, if that's wrong, but that's the way I remember it.

For the record, the best way to retain Boban would be a large chain-link octagon. :D

Mr Bones
12-30-2015, 02:01 PM
He had a long career despite being a complete stiff. 12 seasons - double counting the two he got traded midyear.

That said, he was kaput by the time he was 28 with the exception of one resurgent year in Dallas (Spurs' 2003 title year).

He really wasn't a bad player, but the expectations were too high. He wasn't going to be the centerpiece of a franchise, but as a back up center he was pretty effective. In his best year as a key reserve he had an ORtg of 121 and a DRtg of 96...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bradlsh01.html

Mr Bones
12-30-2015, 02:11 PM
I pretty sure some team will offer $5mil for Boban... a $5mil contract in 2017 will be significantly less than the MLE... it'll be considered standard pay for a back up who can play 12-18 mpg.

Mel_13
12-30-2015, 02:15 PM
On the Arenas provision, I think they either have to use the MLE if they still have it, or use Early Bird. Early Bird requires a player to have been in the league two years, and Boban will only have one. So I think the Spurs would have to use their MLE to exceed the cap. I'm sure someone will correct me, if that's wrong, but that's the way I remember it.

For the record, the best way to retain Boban would be a large chain-link octagon. :D

You remember correctly:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q45

GSH
12-30-2015, 02:24 PM
He really wasn't a bad player, but the expectations were too high. He wasn't going to be the centerpiece of a franchise, but as a back up center he was pretty effective. In his best year as a key reserve he had an ORtg of 121 and a DRtg of 96...

I think that says it pretty well. He had a place in the league, but not as the dominating force some people expected him to be, because of his height.

I remember Nellie putting three 7-footers on the floor at the same time. I used to remember who the other two were, but one of them was Bradley. Seems like the fourth player was about 6'8". It was one of the oddest things I've ever seen on a court.

Chinook
12-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Dude, the Spurs will have the Full MLE to throw at Boban and its going to be over 7mil for next season as its based on the % of the Salary Cap (projected to go up to 85-90 mil next year. Spurs can resign Bonner and Butler for the Vet min no matter if there over the cap. With Boban, West (PO more than likely opting out), Bonner, Butler, Ray all coming off the books, the Spurs will be just a tad under 80mil. Let's say the cap is 87mil next year. Spurs can use the 7+ to split between West and Ray, upping their salaries. Bonner and Butler, if they return, will be signed for the Vet Min. Spurs will have the Full MLE to sign Boban, which should be over 7mil a year.

Spurs have more than enough to retain the entire next season. Spurs will more than likely use their MLE to retain Boban. West and Duncan aren't going to be playing forever.

MLE is about $5.5 Million. It's not based on the average salary anymore and hasn't been for a few years.

Again, the Spurs will have absolutely no issue keeping Boban if they want to do so. I hope these threads won't keep popping up during the season, as this has been asked and answered, and it's not remotely dependent on his level of play going forward. Even at his crazy level of per-minute production, I expect him to make in $7M/2 on his next deal, or at the most, I could see him making $9 Million, as the Spurs will likely want to hold on to enough space to sign Bertans, Lalanne and/or other young non-first-rounders to multi-year deals and will need the MLE to do that in all likelihood.

ElNono
12-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Chain him to the AT&T Center, IMO

spurraider21
12-30-2015, 02:45 PM
you retain boban by getting him to sign on the line that is dotted

spurraider21
12-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Chain him to the AT&T Center, IMO
https://i.gyazo.com/85d91c1ad7feea29ed9e0b723d77f400.png

GSH
12-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Even at his crazy level of per-minute production, I expect him to make in $7M/2 on his next deal, or at the most, I could see him making $9 Million,.

That's the number that I keep coming back to - $7M/2. But I remember Gortat playing a couple of uneventful seasons. Something like 12 minutes and maybe 4 points/4 boards. And he got around $6M per in his next contract, and that was 5-6 years ago. This league is starving for legit big men. If Boban keeps playing like this, and getting more minutes, it's possible that someone could offer him the full non-tax MLE, and the Spurs would have to match to keep him.

Baynes got, what?... $6.5M? If Boban plays well enough to get that kind of interest, I guess the Spurs will want him enough to give up the MLE for him. We've seen some good minutes from Boban. If he can sustain it (and I don't see why he can't), the Arenas provision will be our best friend.

cjw
12-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Performance being relative to the two guys who were picked above and below him (Webber and Penny). Similar, though on a different level, than 9 years earlier with Dream-Bowie-MJ.

But you're right - had a pretty decent career.

ElNono
12-30-2015, 03:09 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/85d91c1ad7feea29ed9e0b723d77f400.png

:lol

spurs10
12-30-2015, 03:21 PM
He's going to be a restricted free agent covered by the Gilbert Arenas provision. Cap space won't be an issue. Thanks Mel...your understanding of how that works is good to know.

Chinook
12-30-2015, 03:34 PM
That's the number that I keep coming back to - $7M/2. But I remember Gortat playing a couple of uneventful seasons. Something like 12 minutes and maybe 4 points/4 boards. And he got around $6M per in his next contract, and that was 5-6 years ago. This league is starving for legit big men. If Boban keeps playing like this, and getting more minutes, it's possible that someone could offer him the full non-tax MLE, and the Spurs would have to match to keep him.

Baynes got, what?... $6.5M? If Boban plays well enough to get that kind of interest, I guess the Spurs will want him enough to give up the MLE for him. We've seen some good minutes from Boban. If he can sustain it (and I don't see why he can't), the Arenas provision will be our best friend.

The most important thing to note is that the only thing that matters is what Boban wants to do. Team's can only offer him offer sheets; they don't force the Spurs to do anything unless Boban signs them. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Spurs have him locked up on 7/1. And he's shown that he isn't going to just jump at the highest offer anyway. I think a decent contract and a defined role makes Boban not even look at other teams.

At the same time, I do have to concede that teams may be more willing to give Boban a high offer sheet next summer than they would normally be, because so many teams will have more cap space than they know what to do with, and they probably wouldn't mind tying up $6 Million or so for three days. Obviously, so teams wouldn't be able to do this, but I could totally see Dallas trying it.

cd021
12-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Never mention "Dunk Receptacle" Bradley as a positive example.

Spurtacular
12-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Dunno why the Spurs signed him to only one year, tbh.

GSH
12-30-2015, 09:12 PM

Seriously? Why did 59 teams pass on Isaiah Thomas? Their crystal balls were broken.

Spurtacular
12-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Seriously? Why did 59 teams pass on Isaiah Thomas? Their crystal balls were broken.

Well, IT is over-rated, anyhow. And it was pretty clear that Boban was a beast. Their were concerns about him being slow; but his progress doesn't come as a surprise either.

Mel_13
12-30-2015, 09:40 PM

Pretty sure that was the only way to get him at 1.2M per year. Reports were that he had much more lucrative offers, but wanted to transition to the NBA with the Spurs. The cheap, one year deal works for both sides. The Spurs have the right to match and Boban will get a richer deal in a summer that the Spurs aren't hoarding cap space.

GSH
12-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Pretty sure that was the only way to get him at 1.2M per year. Reports were that he had much more lucrative offers, but wanted to transition to the NBA with the Spurs. The cheap, one year deal works for both sides. The Spurs have the right to match and Boban will get a richer deal in a summer that the Spurs aren't hoarding cap space.

And THAT is why I come here. That right there. Makes perfect sense. There's a lot to be said for coming to the league and playing for Pop, and with this group of players. I know I was glad when I read that they had signed him, but shocked when I saw the price.

Emperor
12-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Let's just hope his wife is enjoying SA. That is the key.

Spurtacular
12-30-2015, 10:02 PM

That would make sense. I just never heard any reports to that effect at the time.

Kawhitstorm
01-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Sell high before he get exposed like Hibbert:lol

r0drig0lac
01-31-2016, 05:07 PM
Let's just hope his wife is enjoying SA. That is the key.

Parker can help about it