PDA

View Full Version : Davis Bertans headed to the NBA?

SpursFan86
12-29-2015, 01:14 PM

This is the same guy who broke the Boban news in the offseason. Haven't seen it anywhere else and the timing seems strange, so yeah...taking it with a grain of salt.

ChumpDumper
12-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Eventually.

Mel_13
12-29-2015, 01:17 PM
If he can get through a season without one of his ACLs exploding, he'll be a Spur.

SpursFan86
12-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Eventually.

Guess I'm just wondering what prompted Pick to tweet that out. Unless it's just some sort of prediction tweet that was worded poorly, in which case he's a bit of a jackass for doing so considering his job as a reporter.

If there isn't any basis behind the tweet then someone feel free to delete this thread.

ceperez
12-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Guess I'm just wondering what prompted Pick to tweet that out. Unless it's just some sort of prediction tweet that was worded poorly, in which case he's a bit of a jackass for doing so considering his job as a reporter.

Indeed strange tweet. How does he even know that he's NBA bound if Betrans is still recovering from an ACL injury?

I don't think Bertrans is any more NBA bound the LJC.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Bertans is NBA material. Just got to make sure his ACL don't tear again. He tore one of each, which is good, because today's surgery now makes the tendon stronger as they sew this new type of fiber threading into the tendon. I would be more worried if he tore the same ACL again. If he is healthy this off season, the Spurs more than likely will sign him, more than likely replacing either Bonner or Butler on the roster.

jyra
He tweeted this a week ago:

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think he's just saying that Bertans is about to resume playing basketball. It's now almost nine months after his injury. That's the same amount of time it took him to get back on the court after his previous knee injury.

SAGirl

This is the same guy who broke the Boban news in the offseason. Haven't seen it anywhere else and the timing seems strange, so yeah...taking it with a grain of salt.

Bonner or Butler getting waived? It has to be one of the two. POP looking fir shooting maybe? This season or the next?
Thanks for sharing the news. Might be next season more likely bc he'd be a rookie and would have missed training camp completely this season. Thus, unplayable for Pop.

ChumpDumper
12-29-2015, 01:29 PM
There is absolutely no reason to waste Bertans' rookie season signing him now and even less reason to waive known-quantity vets like Bonner or Butler for him.

Chinook
12-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Bonner or Butler getting waived? It has to be one of the two. POP looking fir shooting maybe? This season or the next?
Thanks for sharing the news. Might be next season more likely bc he'd be a rookie and would have missed training camp completely this season. Thus, unplayable for Pop.

More important than everything you've said is that the Spurs aren't going to sign Bertans this season. They could only give him a two-year deal, and he won't be ready to go until the end of the season. No way the Spurs use his rights on what's essentially a one-year deal.

sasaint
12-29-2015, 02:00 PM
More important than everything you've said is that the Spurs aren't going to sign Bertans this season. They could only give him a two-year deal, and he won't be ready to go until the end of the season. No way the Spurs use his rights on what's essentially a one-year deal.

Absolutely. Just a poorly worded tweet.

SAGirl
12-29-2015, 02:03 PM

Good points I had not considered. Thanks.

thiste
12-29-2015, 02:05 PM
We're not exactly in need of reinforcement on the front court right now.

BOHOLANO#21
12-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Who knows Bertans might be going the Baynes route. I remember Baynes joined the Spurs mid-season then became part of the championship season...

SAGirl
12-29-2015, 02:16 PM

Isn't he a kind of Austin Daye bodytype? SF, maybe stretch 4 type? I see him as a better more versatile Bonner facsimile (without having watched much of him other than highlights, it would seem he's a more versatile scorer, not just shooter, coming off screens, cutting, taking some shots we don't see out if Bonner?)

Defense with these guys always the question? Can he guard SF? Anyways it's fir next season anyways, so Bonner, and Butler could be gone and we could have Cady and Davis competing for spots, as well as Anderson trying to get his 4th year guaranteed. Just a different scenario for next season.

GSH
12-29-2015, 02:27 PM
I thought he was headed to Barcelona, pending a physical? Hopefully the tweet means that he's coming here to show the Spurs how well his rehab has gone, and to show them that he's serious about getting here next year. It would mean that he's feeling pretty good about his health, and about playing in the NBA. It would also mean that he sees the Spurs as partners in his development.

This got published a few hours ago:

Baskonia registered Davis Bertans for the Euroleague Top 16. The Latvian forward is out since months with a torn ACL. Bertans is close to returning to action.
http://www.sportando.com/en/cups/euroleague/186285/baskonia-register-davis-bertans-for-the-euroleague-top-16.html

Seems pretty clear that his chances of being in silver and black this season are pretty much zero.

ddjeffries
12-29-2015, 05:36 PM
The Latvian Curry. He's the quick shot we are missing right now. With Green being in a slump and all.

ceperez
12-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Isn't he a kind of Austin Daye bodytype? SF, maybe stretch 4 type? I see him as a better more versatile Bonner facsimile (without having watched much of him other than highlights, it would seem he's a more versatile scorer, not just shooter, coming off screens, cutting, taking some shots we don't see out if Bonner?)

Defense with these guys always the question? Can he guard SF? Anyways it's fir next season anyways, so Bonner, and Butler could be gone and we could have Cady and Davis competing for spots, as well as Anderson trying to get his 4th year guaranteed. Just a different scenario for next season.

He's a 6'10" SF that is really thin. With the injury, it'll take him a while before he'll make it into the NBA. I project 2017-2018 season.

Uriel
12-29-2015, 07:21 PM
It's really sad that Bertans tore both of his ACL's. It not only prevented him from gaining valuable playing experience in Europe, it also mitigated his physical and athletic upside. Even when Bertans does cross over to the NBA, it's hard to see him reaching the sky-high potential he once had.

DrSteffo
12-29-2015, 07:24 PM
I think he is better than Kyle Anderson, Butler and Bonner and should be a nice addition next season.

baseline bum
12-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Indeed strange tweet. How does he even know that he's NBA bound if Betrans is still recovering from an ACL injury?

I don't think Bertrans is any more NBA bound the LJC.

LJC has to come here some time, I mean he has a two year guaranteed deal waiting for him.

T Park
12-29-2015, 07:35 PM
I could see Kyle Anderson getting shipped for a draft pick, and Bertans coming in and then finishing the year in Austin.

Not only could the guy shoot but he had ridiculous athleticism that has to now be compromised obviously after these injuries.

stxspurs
12-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Saw him at Bakery Lorraine a few weeks ago. Guy looks way thin for his height. Nobody knew who he was so i just let him be. Seems nice....he ordered and set the table for him and his friend. Cant wait to see him in a spurs uni

FlAVaK
12-30-2015, 05:59 AM
I thought he was headed to Barcelona, pending a physical? Hopefully the tweet means that he's coming here to show the Spurs how well his rehab has gone, and to show them that he's serious about getting here next year. It would mean that he's feeling pretty good about his health, and about playing in the NBA. It would also mean that he sees the Spurs as partners in his development.

This got published a few hours ago:

Baskonia registered Davis Bertans for the Euroleague Top 16. The Latvian forward is out since months with a torn ACL. Bertans is close to returning to action.
http://www.sportando.com/en/cups/euroleague/186285/baskonia-register-davis-bertans-for-the-euroleague-top-16.html

Seems pretty clear that his chances of being in silver and black this season are pretty much zero.

He already was in San Antonio, the following clip is from the end of october...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_MXpw8Tj8

Sounds like he is rehabing...

UNT Eagles 2016
12-30-2015, 07:21 AM

But but but our record is less than the Warriors! :bang

ceperez
12-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Oh okay "Heading to San Antonio" means heading to a Spurs practice facility?

Maybe he should head to the Austin Spurs?

I would say the same about LJC, who in the last two years has done next to zero to improve his game.

FlAVaK
12-30-2015, 07:46 AM
^nah, tweet in the OP also said "NBA bound". I guess he was with the Spurs during Rehab, is now back with his original club, and comes back in the summer...

Mnky
12-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Spurs always play a strong part in their picks rehab to evaluate what's left in the player for good or bad. I had high hopes for the kid. He wasn't too old, so the injurys may be over come. Proper training can make him better than before athleticly, just depends on his situation. Stay healthy buddy.

Texas_Ranger
12-30-2015, 09:32 AM
I am sorry to say this, but he really never was that good. Yes he's big for a SF and can handle the ball better than someone like Green, but it doesn't really help him cause he's too skinny and his shooting is really, really bad. The main problem is that from the time he was 18 and till now when he's 23, he didn't develop that much.

Mnky
12-30-2015, 09:37 AM
He was good in the only setting he could be evaluated in, as he was a playmaker on both ends of the court. Can't ask for anything more until evaluated on another level.

You also can't develop much while Injured and without proper coaching and training. Potential is there. Not likely, but possible to develop. That's what you want in project players.

exstatic
12-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Spurs always play a strong part in their picks rehab to evaluate what's left in the player for good or bad. I had high hopes for the kid. He wasn't too old, so the injurys may be over come. Proper training can make him better than before athleticly, just depends on his situation. Stay healthy buddy.

Even picks that never play for us. Spur paid for surgeries for Gordon Giricek and Javtokas.

jyra
12-30-2015, 10:26 AM
I am sorry to say this, but he really never was that good. Yes he's big for a SF and can handle the ball better than someone like Green, but it doesn't really help him cause he's too skinny and his shooting is really, really bad. The main problem is that from the time he was 18 and till now when he's 23, he didn't develop that much.

Have you actually watched him play last season? He was lighting up the ACB, hitting 41% of his threes at 6 attempts per game and threw down a couple of nice highlight dunks. He also showed to be competent when run off the three point line either making the right pass or pulling up comfortably from mid range.

His defense and strength certainly need improvement but scoring definitely was not a problem.

palangi
12-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Tayshaun Prince says hi!

DrunkTXLabrat
12-30-2015, 02:15 PM

careful you must be, when sensing the future op... excitement about draft and stash, is a path to the dark side.

CGD
12-30-2015, 02:43 PM
That George Hill trade looks that much more lopsided if this guys becomes a serviceable shooter in the NBA.

Spurtacular
12-30-2015, 06:15 PM

I'm a Bonner guy. I think he's taken much undue heat on this board (some of it due too). But he's pretty much not been any sort of difference maker this season (though he's played well). Conversely, Butler has played key minutes. Would Pop pull the plug on his favorite pet midseason? Well, he'd still get a ring, I believe. He'd have to believe Bertans would be a difference maker. He wouldn't make that move for the sake of getting Bertans experience.

SAGirl
12-30-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm a Bonner guy. I think he's taken much undue heat on this board (some of it due too). But he's pretty much not been any sort of difference maker this season (though he's played well). Conversely, Butler has played key minutes. Would Pop pull the plug on his favorite pet midseason? Well, he'd still get a ring, I believe. He'd have to believe Bertans would be a difference maker. He wouldn't make that move for the sake of getting Bertans experience.
Originally I didn't think he was due for this season (rook w/ no camp experience)
Reading others' comments here has convinced me that he's still rehabbing and the news are that he's returning to international competition with an eye on the NBA next season.

Next seasons' roster is anyone's to guess at this point, other than our franchise players of course. Our pet projects for this season have developed and probably figure in the teams future and there are the older vets who will have to be reassesed (Bonner/Butler). Between the two, I would say Pop will want to keep Bonner, but who knows?

Spurtacular
12-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Originally I didn't think he was due for this season (rook w/ no camp experience)
Reading others' comments here has convinced me that he's still rehabbing and the news are that he's returning to international competition with an eye on the NBA next season.

Next seasons' roster is anyone's to guess at this point, other than our franchise players of course. Our pet projects for this season have developed and probably figure in the teams future and there are the older vets who will have to be reassesed (Bonner/Butler). Between the two, I would say Pop will want to keep Bonner, but who knows?

I believe Pop/Bonner have an understanding that he can be released at any time, and Bonner will continue on in the organization. Pop won't do it 'til he feels it's absolutely for the best though.

GSH
12-30-2015, 08:21 PM
I believe Pop/Bonner have an understanding that he can be released at any time, and Bonner will continue on in the organization.

Based on what? I'm just curious. You have some inside knowledge of a private agreement between Pop and Bonner? If you're posting that much, why not share? If not... do you just sit around and imagine shit about the Spurs? Seriously, bud, that's a case for treatment.

maverick1948
12-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Based on what? I'm just curious. You have some inside knowledge of a private agreement between Pop and Bonner? If you're posting that much, why not share? If not... do you just sit around and imagine shit about the Spurs? Seriously, bud, that's a case for treatment.

I too believe that Pop will keep Bonner on staff if he needed to release him. Bonner has had a team friendly contract every year. His 3 pt shot has been good for the Spurs over the years and his maligned defense is better than most think.

But I don't see the kid taking Bonner's spot until next year. It would take a fantastic showing for Bertans to come over this year.

Pop also likes to reward team players like Bonner.

T Park
12-31-2015, 12:29 AM
David pick also called Aldridge to the Spurs about a week before Aldridge announced.