PDA

View Full Version : the difference between Spurs and Warriors is execution down the stretch..

spursistan
12-30-2015, 02:40 PM

We lost 5 games by combined 19 points..it is pretty natural for majorly shaken up team to have it chemistry issues which become more costly in clutch..but it has to be said the GSW far superior 3-point shooting will always be the trump card..a couple of defensive slip-ups and you are buried under hail of momentum shifting 3 points...

let's hope the Spurs achieve a stable identity in these situations by season end; right now we don't seem to know what to run..In the Dallas game, Kawhi bailed us out.. in the Boston one, Pop broke out a couple of old school- Big three plays to get the W..IMO, a Manu-Parker centric late game design won't get us too far.. Pop still has his work cut out when it comes to the potential of Kawhi-LMA 2-man game..

Kikoluna
12-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Golden state is highly overrated. Bold, underline highly. Analyze their schedule and it's been a cake walk. They seem to play Sacramento or Utah every night. Plus curry will break down soon. They are terrible at managing minutes. Curry is nothing more than a Rich man's bonner. Leonard and LeBron are truly the best in the league. Hands down. Spurs will beat them 4 games to 2.

r0drig0lac
12-30-2015, 03:03 PM
^ wtf

GSH
12-30-2015, 03:07 PM
That's so uncanny. I woke up this morning thinking, "You know what I'd like? ANOTHER fucking thread about execution down the stretch. Yeah, that's what's missing from my life."

And here you are. Keep it going while I go make a sammich.

[Edit: And, for the record, the BIGGEST difference down the stretch is that Steph Curry can make shots from the damn parking lot. Sort of makes everything else fall into place.]

spurs10
12-30-2015, 03:18 PM
That's so uncanny. I woke up this morning thinking, "You know what I'd like? ANOTHER fucking thread about execution down the stretch. Yeah, that's what's missing from my life."

[Edit: And, for the record, the BIGGEST difference down the stretch is that Steph Curry can make shots from the damn parking lot. Sort of makes everything else fall into place.] Need Boban to pick him up and gently put him in the trunk of someone's car when he is shooting those parking lot shots...... and we're good!

apalisoc_9
12-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Crunch time identity bro.

The spurs rely on Leonard in the first 3 quarters but revert to overeliance on the big 3. There has been so many possesions late in the fourth where Parker-Ginobili-Duncan were the only players to touch the ball. We are a different team in the first 8 minutes of every quarter.

The casual VANILLA will tell you its not a problem because we are winning 81% of our games but i bet you we are a net negative in the last minite execution.

The Warriors are almost flawless on O. Dont let the dumbasses fool you that its all about curry. They know their options very well. And they know the heiarchy of option Curry and draymond then then klay.

The spurs have had so many late game situations where you feel like its 2000'. Kawhi is Bowen and LMA is elson or oberto.

They need.to figure out how to take advantage of their two best players or they are stuck with this problem.

cjw
12-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Golden state is highly overrated. Bold, underline highly. Analyze their schedule and it's been a cake walk. They seem to play Sacramento or Utah every night. Plus curry will break down soon. They are terrible at managing minutes. Curry is nothing more than a Rich man's bonner. Leonard and LeBron are truly the best in the league. Hands down. Spurs will beat them 4 games to 2.

They played Sacramento twice without Boogie (1-7 team without ... 11-12 with). Then in the third matchup? Boogie got tossed after twelve minutes. Score when that happened? Kings up 66-64.

Sacramento isn't a bad team. Just bad without Boogie.

ElNono
12-30-2015, 03:23 PM
They're a much more cohesive team at this time, which isn't unexpected, considering they basically brought back the same team. They should be commended for staying hungry and seizing the opportunity to do something special.

The Spurs, on the other hand, are still a work in progress. I think we've done real well all things considered, and hopefully we get closer to a finished product by season's end.

apalisoc_9
12-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Jesus, i dont understand why people cant just.post what they think are the detailed problems instead of trying to.post like someone in the organization who will he held accountable for saying something in Public.

THE SPURS HAVE CHEMISTRY/TRUST/REALIZATIONS ISSUES LATE IN THE FOURTH.

even Manu have repeadly said he shoots too much at times wrongfully..and were stuck on forum full.pf posters who act like they are GMs or coaches who have something to hide..that or they are pretty cluless.

bic50
12-30-2015, 03:33 PM

:huh

tmtcsc
12-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Curry is nothing more than a Rich man's bonner.

Went too far there bro.

apalisoc_9
12-30-2015, 03:41 PM
The Warriors at this point of the season is still a MUCH better team but the spurs have the potential to be better. Id argue the spurs are probably better in the first 44 minutes though but only by a little.

The warriors are a much much much much better late game though. Much better. I wouldnt even put San Antonio top 5. Cavs-OKC-Warriors-LAC-Dallas are all better late game teams.

aal04
12-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Our go to guy is a mid range guy whos been forced to learn to carry the load.

I felt much safer when Tim was Alpha dog because he gets closer to the basket, or a person whos great at penetrating like prime Manu, TP, etc. All 3 of these guys naturally wanted the ball, could create and had that mental edge. No disrespect to Kawhi, hes performed well above expectations, but he still isnt a creator.

Ive said this before - I think we are legit favourites last year healthy , and this year we are fools gold unless we learn to use LMA as our go to guy. This years team just feels "lucky". We grind against every single team and then we explode for quick 10-0 spurts. And against okc, houston, chi, they can play the whole 48 and its a toss of a coin.

Hoops Czar
12-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Jesus, i dont understand why people cant just.post what they think are the detailed problems instead of trying to.post like someone in the organization who will he held accountable for saying something in Public.

even Manu have repeadly said he shoots too much at times wrongfully..and were stuck on forum full.pf posters who act like they are GMs or coaches who have something to hide..that or they are pretty cluless.

Nope, they just execute poorly, terrible shot selection and relying too heavily on late game isolation rather than ball movement. How ironic it is that the Spurs used to eat isolation teams for dinner, now they've become one.

tholdren
12-30-2015, 03:53 PM

[Edit: And, for the record, the BIGGEST difference down the stretch is that Steph Curry can make shots from the damn parking lot. Sort of makes everything else fall into place.]

No, the biggest difference is GS doesn't change the way they play. Spurs get all tense and start clenching their butts. This is where KL is supposed to come in, take the ball to the rack. Unfortunately, SA ends up with (insert any player) taking a mid range jumper. Brilliant.

SouthernFried
12-30-2015, 03:54 PM
I just don't know who the Spurs are yet. They have so many different looks, that it's hard to pin down what they are going to do next. You knew what to expect in the Big 3 era. Now? Maybe Diaw...Maybe Parker...Maybe Kawhi...maybe LMA...maybe, who the fuck knows.

And maybe this is good thing.

Maybe...lol.

$pursDynasty
12-30-2015, 03:58 PM
They're a much more cohesive team at this time, which isn't unexpected, considering they basically brought back the same team. They should be commended for staying hungry and seizing the opportunity to do something special.

The Spurs, on the other hand, are still a work in progress. I think we've done real well all things considered, and hopefully we get closer to a finished product by season's end.
Nono with the words of wisdom

apalisoc_9
12-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Nope, they just execute poorly, terrible shot selection and relying too heavily on late game isolation rather than ball movement. How ironic it is that the Spurs used to eat isolation teams for dinner, now they've become one.

The anti hoopz czar theory. Thanks.

ginobilized
12-30-2015, 03:59 PM
If anyone can figure out how to close out games by the regular season's end, it is these San Antonio Spurs. Extremely high BBIQ on this roster.
If/when Green gets back on track, everything will change for the better on the offensive end.

Sure, it is painful to watch at times, but, they will very likely figure it out. Rodeo road trip it should start to click more and then playoffs should display a great team.
That's my plan, anyway.

tholdren
12-30-2015, 04:01 PM
If anyone can figure out how to close out games by the regular season's end, it is these San Antonio Spurs. Extremely high BBIQ on this roster.
If/when Green gets back on track, everything will change for the better on the offensive end.

Sure, it is painful to watch at times, but, they will very likely figure it out. Rodeo road trip it should start to click more and then playoffs should display a great team.
That's my plan, anyway.

BBIQ has nothing to do with confidence. Spurs play not to lose. Its a mind thing, not a logic thing.

YGWHI
12-30-2015, 04:34 PM
I felt much safer when Tim was Alpha dog because he gets closer to the basket, or a person whos great at penetrating like prime Manu, TP, etc. All 3 of these guys naturally wanted the ball, could create and had that mental edge. No disrespect to Kawhi, hes performed well above expectations, but he still isnt a creator.

Neither LMA, or at least he isn't the exceptional passer from the post that Tim was/is.

So if you give the ball to LMA, or Kawhi, in the last seconds of a game to ISO, a few times they would make the shot, other times they would draw the foul, but most of times the opposing team will adjust on them and they will miss the shot...not surprising at all since iso is not the most affective way of getting a bucket.

That's why it would be nice if Pop calls a play where we can see more ball movement and find Kawhi/Patty at the 3's point line like the game against Dallas.

How Warriors have won their close games this season...Curry/Iggy 3's, Green's easy layup.

aal04
12-30-2015, 04:46 PM
That's why it would be nice if Pop calls a play where we can see more ball movement and find Kawhi/Patty at the 3's point line like the game against Dallas.

How Warriors have won their close games this season...Curry/Iggy 3's, Green's easy layup.

I disagree, I dont want to decide a game on a 3 pointer. A good 3 point shooter shoots 40pc, an inside big will shoot close to 60pc. I didnt mind Pops play in game 7 last playoff series where he went for the high percentage alleyoop to Kawhi. If it wasnt for the rigged timekeepers i think we could have done it.

bic50
12-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Our go to guy is a mid range guy whos been forced to learn to carry the load.

Ive said this before - I think we are legit favourites last year healthy , and this year we are fools gold unless we learn to use LMA as our go to guy. This years team just feels "lucky". We grind against every single team and then we explode for quick 10-0 spurts. And against okc, houston, chi, they can play the whole 48 and its a toss of a coin.

Aldridge is also a mid range guy.
I wouldnt mind boban as our go to though.

YGWHI
12-30-2015, 04:55 PM

Not sure. This problem is more on Pop than chemistry issues between players.

When he gave the ball to Kawhi to close a game in Chicago, it resulted in an ugly play, without screens, any other player moving and looking for the pass... he just gave the ball to Kawhi to figure out how to score a desperation 3's.

When he gave the ball to LMA to close the game in OKC, again, the designated play was a lot worse than the execution.

The last play of game 7 in LA? Calling the same play after Clippers adjusted the first time.

exstatic
12-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Three point shooting may be GSs trump card, but LMA is ours. GS is truly only lethal with Green at the five playing center in a micro ball lineup. LMA can play him head up on D, since Draymond is not particularly quick, or great with handles. Draymond, otoh, has no chance to guard LMA on the block. GS will have to bring in a big, and remove a three point shooter from the mix. They are NOT a transcendent team with a big on the floor. If they bring in a big, you bring in Duncan,and continue the LMA/Draymond matchup.

YGWHI
12-30-2015, 05:06 PM
I disagree, I dont want to decide a game on a 3 pointer. A good 3 point shooter shoots 40pc, an inside big will shoot close to 60pc. I didnt mind Pops play in game 7 last playoff series where he went for the high percentage alleyoop to Kawhi. If it wasnt for the rigged timekeepers i think we could have done it.

This thread is a comparison between Spurs execution down the stretch and Warriors's execution. The 3's is their way, and we have one of the best 3 point shooter in the league, too.

Anyway, I'd like the big-inside but you have two problems with that play, how to give the ball to our big when the opposing team is focused on dennyng him the ball , and how he will deal with the double team in the last seconds because it's more likely the opposing team not foul him and just send double team.

We can post LMA but he really excels as mid-range shooter in pick and pops situations and if he's double teamed he's not that great passer, Tim has been great but...Also, bic50 says Boban, I find him a good option, plus he's very effective from the line too.

aal04
12-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Not sure. This problem is more on Pop than chemistry issues between players.

When he gave the ball to Kawhi to close a game in Chicago, it resulted in an ugly play, without screens, any other player moving and looking for the pass... he just gave the ball to Kawhi to figure out how to score a desperation 3's.

This is the problem. The defense on a game-on-the-line shot is ridiculously high. Drawing up a play with multiple passes is very difficult because defense is in your face and chances are, atleast 1-2 players in your play will be heavily locked down and the entire play will fall apart because it has too many dependencies. ISO and clear out has always been the safer option, especially when you can mismatch someone.

When he gave the ball to LMA to close the game in OKC, again, the designated play was a lot worse than the execution.

The last play of game 7 in LA? Calling the same play after Clippers adjusted the first time.

We had NO timeouts left. Pop could not draw up another play. This move was really dirty by the time keepers. Close to kings 2002 dirty.

houston spurs fan
12-30-2015, 05:12 PM
We've only played 34 games. We're still trying to work our way through the new roles. Give it time, we'll be fine. I'll think you'll start to see Kawhi in the pick n'roll with LMA and TD as time goes on with TP spotting up in the corner.

Way too early to start worrying about this, we are fortunate to be 27-6.

DPG21920
12-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Watch from 2:40 on

_vrj3EBg36w

Ya, just perfect execution....ORRRRR, just some ridiculous shot taking and making. It's not to knock Curry, he's amazing and he can make bad shots. But it's not like they are running plays there taking great shots. He's chucking 34 foot 3PT's that are going in. It's not some machine when it comes to execution in the clutch. That's not to say they aren't running good sets and plays, but it's not all the time.

They are winning because they are great & have the best shot maker in the NBA plus other weapons. But unless you watch the games, stats like the OP are really misleading and there is a huge element of luck many times at the end of the game (Brook Lopez missing a dunk to win type stuff)

houston spurs fan
12-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Hey man, if you feel like you are "stuck on a forum" by all means go find a Laker forum to post on since that is your favorite team. I think it's pretty clear that nobody wants you here anyways. Please, don't hesitate to leave.

YGWHI
12-30-2015, 05:21 PM
We had NO timeouts left. Pop could not draw up another play. This move was really dirty by the time keepers. Close to kings 2002 dirty.

Alternative option...if we can't do it...we'll do this... Not sure what was the alternative play there.

Cloud786
12-30-2015, 05:25 PM

That's my plan, anyway.

I hate when ppl say we have an extremely high bb iq or that "the spurs don't beat themselves". That is the biggest bs I've ever heard. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago that might've been true but these past two years the reason we lose is cuz we make some boneheaded plays that cost us games.

DPG21920
12-30-2015, 05:30 PM
I hate when ppl say we have an extremely high bb iq or that "the spurs don't beat themselves". That is the biggest bs I've ever heard. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago that might've been true but these past two years the reason we lose is cuz we make some boneheaded plays that cost us games.

By "the reason we lose" are you referring to the fact the Spurs reached 3 WCF in a row, 2 finals in a row and won a title? Because there isn't much losing going on.

Cloud786
12-30-2015, 05:45 PM
By "the reason we lose" are you referring to the fact the Spurs reached 3 WCF in a row, 2 finals in a row and won a title? Because there isn't much losing going on.

I was referring to the past year or so. There have been too many instances where we only have ourselves to blame when we lose.

Spurtacular
12-30-2015, 05:54 PM
It's a combo of factors, imo:

1. Warriors have ran the same fluid offense at end of games that they run all game, whereas Spurs will focus on options and become more predictable.
2. Teams have chocked down the stretch against the dubs.

houston spurs fan
12-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I was referring to the past year or so. There have been too many instances where we only have ourselves to blame when we lose.
Nice recovery.

DPG21920
12-30-2015, 06:03 PM

:lol The past year or so? Dude, the Spurs have won over 80% of the games they have played this year. Again, not much losing going on.

Nathan89
12-30-2015, 06:09 PM

The spurs rely on Leonard in the first 3 quarters but revert to overeliance on the big 3. There has been so many possesions late in the fourth where Parker-Ginobili-Duncan were the only players to touch the ball. We are a different team in the first 8 minutes of every quarter.

The casual VANILLA will tell you its not a problem because we are winning 81% of our games but i bet you we are a net negative in the last minite execution.

The Warriors are almost flawless on O. Dont let the dumbasses fool you that its all about curry. They know their options very well. And they know the heiarchy of option Curry and draymond then then klay.

The spurs have had so many late game situations where you feel like its 2000'. Kawhi is Bowen and LMA is elson or oberto.

They need.to figure out how to take advantage of their two best players or they are stuck with this problem.

I thought you were complaining that Leonard didn't get it enough. Those complaint were just about the 4th?

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 06:23 PM

I hate Curry more than I hate Lebron, Durant and Westbrook and even I think that statement is offensive.

tonight...you
12-30-2015, 06:27 PM
I hate Curry more than I hate Lebron, Durant and Westbrook and even I think that statement is offensive.
Why do you hate Curry?

Cloud786
12-30-2015, 06:33 PM
:lol The past year or so? Dude, the Spurs have won over 80% of the games they have played this year. Again, not much losing going on.

Did I say there is much losing going on? I said "when we lose", we usually have ourselves to blame. Learn to read.

DPG21920
12-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Did I say there is much losing going on? I said "when we lose", we usually have ourselves to blame. Learn to read.

You're absolutely correct.

Kikoluna
12-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Well, the "generational player" is out tonight. Starting to break down.

Kikoluna
12-30-2015, 06:39 PM
Well, the "generational player" is out tonight. Starting to break down.
As for me, the arrogance and the mouthpiece thing....they go hand in hand

spurso
12-30-2015, 06:48 PM
We will win when we face them in the playoffs.

Bring Back Big Shot Bob to hip check Curry :nope

daslicer
12-30-2015, 07:01 PM
They have won 11 games that were close it shows that winning some of those games were fluky. That type of success they have had in those situations reminds me of the '07 Mavs when they won an abnormal amount of games they should have lost in the final minutes of the game but prevailed due to Dirk Terry,Howard hitting threes. They might get unlucky like that Mavs team did in the '07 playoffs when their jumpshots dried up against the warriors and had no other way to execute in pressure situations other than jacking up 3's. Last year not having a guy who could get easy buckets for the warriors didn't harm them but we'll see this year if it bites them in the ass come playoff time.

spurs10
12-30-2015, 07:37 PM

:lol The past year or so? Dude, the Spurs have won over 80% of the games they have played this year. Again, not much losing going on. Right the#$% on! :bobo

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Why do you hate Curry?

He's arrogant, plain and simple. He recently declared himself the best player in the NBA. I also hate his mouthpiece shtick and how he showboats after every basket he makes. I also hate how he forces us to see his daughter in postgame interviews, which smacks of staged "cuteness".

tonight...you
12-30-2015, 08:27 PM
He's arrogant, plain and simple. He recently declared himself the best player in the NBA. I also hate his mouthpiece shtick and how he showboats after every basket he makes. I also hate how he forces us to see his daughter in postgame interviews, which smacks of staged "cuteness".
No disputes from me. I guess I just don't feel "hate" towards his antics, just more annoyance and really I acknowledge that feeling being bred from his current success.
I mean- did you give him two seconds of your thoughts three years ago? Even two years ago?

No. But now he's the "greatest since MJ" and all over every sports headline every day (I engage in hyperbole).
So yeah- I understand where you're coming from. I just don't have the desire to hold as much contempt for him as you... until the playoffs start.

Then I will be killing chickens in a Louisiana bayou cemetery with Voodoo witch doctors nightly cursing that green-eyed mutant.

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 08:46 PM
No disputes from me. I guess I just don't feel "hate" towards his antics, just more annoyance and really I acknowledge that feeling being bred from his current success.
I mean- did you give him two seconds of your thoughts three years ago? Even two years ago?

No. But now he's the "greatest since MJ" and all over every sports headline every day (I engage in hyperbole).
So yeah- I understand where you're coming from. I just don't have the desire to hold as much contempt for him as you... until the playoffs start.

Then I will be killing chickens in a Louisiana bayou cemetery with Voodoo witch doctors nightly cursing that green-eyed mutant.

haha, I hear ya man.

ezau
12-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Three point shooting may be GSs trump card, but LMA is ours. GS is truly only lethal with Green at the five playing center in a micro ball lineup. LMA can play him head up on D, since Draymond is not particularly quick, or great with handles. Draymond, otoh, has no chance to guard LMA on the block. GS will have to bring in a big, and remove a three point shooter from the mix. They are NOT a transcendent team with a big on the floor. If they bring in a big, you bring in Duncan,and continue the LMA/Draymond matchup.

This, tbh.

GSH
12-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Two words: Steph Fucking Curry. :lol

GSH
12-30-2015, 10:51 PM

Dallas 114 - GSW 91

Crunch that, bitch.

Mikeanaro
12-30-2015, 11:12 PM
Watch from 2:40 on

_vrj3EBg36w

Ya, just perfect execution....ORRRRR, just some ridiculous shot taking and making. It's not to knock Curry, he's amazing and he can make bad shots. But it's not like they are running plays there taking great shots. He's chucking 34 foot 3PT's that are going in. It's not some machine when it comes to execution in the clutch. That's not to say they aren't running good sets and plays, but it's not all the time.

They are winning because they are great & have the best shot maker in the NBA plus other weapons. But unless you watch the games, stats like the OP are really misleading and there is a huge element of luck many times at the end of the game (Brook Lopez missing a dunk to win type stuff)
Exactly, no Curry equals a horrible overrated team.

DPG21920
12-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Exactly, no Curry equals a horrible overrated team.

Somewhat, but they have Curry. I mean, like I said earlier, every team would get noticeably worse if you take off not only their best player, but a legit MVP.

GSH
12-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Somewhat, but they have Curry. I mean, like I said earlier, every team would get noticeably worse if you take off not only their best player, but a legit MVP.

Right. But the difference between the two teams isn't "execution down the stretch" and "crunch time identity". It's a guy who can make shots fucking blindfolded.

/THREAD

Sorry... /STUPIDFUCKINGTHREAD

sasaint
12-30-2015, 11:44 PM

Yep, you nailed it perfectly. The rest of the league is trying to play the same game of checkers that the Dubs play. We aim to see how they handle chess. If we force them out of their well-oiled small ball lineup, advantage Spurs! And do not overlook our not-so-secret weapon, Boban. Our bigs are all immune from Hack-a-whoever strategies, too. These Spurs/Dubs match ups will be historic.

r0drig0lac
12-31-2015, 03:41 AM
Right. But the difference between the two teams isn't "execution down the stretch" and "crunch time identity". It's a guy who can make shots fucking blindfolded.

agree

kaji157
12-31-2015, 06:50 PM

We lost 5 games by combined 19 points..it is pretty natural for majorly shaken up team to have it chemistry issues which become more costly in clutch..but it has to be said the GSW far superior 3-point shooting will always be the trump card..a couple of defensive slip-ups and you are buried under hail of momentum shifting 3 points...

let's hope the Spurs achieve a stable identity in these situations by season end; right now we don't seem to know what to run..In the Dallas game, Kawhi bailed us out.. in the Boston one, Pop broke out a couple of old school- Big three plays to get the W..IMO, a Manu-Parker centric late game design won't get us too far.. Pop still has his work cut out when it comes to the potential of Kawhi-LMA 2-man game..

Considering the improvement both teams can have from this point of the season going forward, i think that if no team gets a substantial injury the Spurs would have no problem beating golden state in no more than 6 games.

Golden State is simply not the kind of team hat usually bother`s San Antonio and while improved they still depend A LOT on their back court.

San Antonio on the other hand has more weapons, and while we are not able to explode all of them now we should be more improved than them by the time we meet and even more when the Playoffs start.

I think the teams that can beat us are a healthy Okc and a healthy Cleveland because of LeBron and Durant, they are the two teams with scorers that are overwhelming.

To put it this way, i think right now Golden State is playing at 100% of their capacity while we are between 65% and 75%. If we reach our peak they are done.

kaji157
12-31-2015, 06:53 PM

/THREAD

Sorry... /STUPIDFUCKINGTHREAD

I disagree, they are winning games on the clutch, yeah, but that also means they have to still play in the clutch with the team firing in all cylinders, i donīt think against us that would matter because we are much more consistent than almost any team.

Kidd K
01-01-2016, 02:43 AM
The Spurs have a tremendous record (2 best in NBA, 5 games better than 3rd and only 3 behind GSW) and an amazing margin of victory (#1 in NBA, yes better than the GSW). Let's stop acting like GSW is way better because they aren't. Both teams are EXCELLENT right now.

Not to mention the Spurs have the best defense in the NBA by far with nobody even close. The GSW do have the best offense in the NBA. . .but guess who has the 3rd best? SAS. I'll take 3rd best offense and the #1 by far best defense over the #1 offense and #6 defense.

The difference between the Spurs' defensive rating and the Warrior's is greater the difference between GSW and 26th place. Scary thing? Warriors seemingly aren't "getting better" either. They are more likely to slide back a bit. SAS? Statistically getting better.

Don't be surprised if the Spurs end up in first. Even if they don't, they will still very likely have HCA over the rest of the league anyway.

Have some confidence. The Spurs are doing great.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-01-2016, 03:24 AM
Have some confidence. The Spurs are doing great.

Asking too much of some folks around here to be confident, tbh.

~O~
01-01-2016, 04:32 AM
Shut the fuck up.

Anyway, these teams are just going to have to meet in the regular season in order for points to be proven. No matter what way everyone tries to stretch it or place salt with their simple minded homeristic envy. , golden state is the best in the league.

~O~
01-01-2016, 04:34 AM
Jesus christ. This forum is worse than I thought. You people blindly hate curry more than Lebanon. The delusion here is astounding. Jesus Christ.

ceperez
01-01-2016, 06:39 AM
The Spurs are doing great but have room for improvement specifically in the offensive efficiency of the starters.

The Warriors are the real deal and nobody knows if they have separation from the Spurs unless the two team play each other.

Curry, Thompson and Green are better than any 3 combinations of players that you can select in the Spurs.

Curry is likely to be this year's MVF barring any injury.

So any hate is just irrational behavior. Yes he does have arrogant antics, yes his habits may be annoying but let's face it, his popularity is in the stratosphere and his shooting is on a level unheard of.

Fireball
01-01-2016, 07:20 AM

This is one oft the worst takes ever ... the Spurs had the easiest "strength of schedule" so far in the league. The Warriors schedule gets tougher as well, but calling them overrated is just bullshit.

ceperez
01-01-2016, 07:46 AM
This is one oft the worst takes ever ... the Spurs had the easiest "strength of schedule" so far in the league. The Warriors schedule gets tougher as well, but calling them overrated is just bullshit.

I agree. Spurs also had an easy schedule. Spur and Warriors records are of course a reflection of the easy schedule.

Kidd K
01-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Curry, Thompson and Green are better than any 3 combinations of players that you can select in the Spurs.

Sounds like the Spurs are fucked when the NBA holds that 3 on 3 tournament for the championship.

Makes me glad the regular NBA season is 5 on 5 with subs on the bench to help out.

Kidd K
01-01-2016, 11:48 AM

Technically your SoS will always be "worse" the better you are since you're feeding your opponents' losses. That's why the top 3 "weakest" SoS's are SAS, GSW, OKC. And the "strongest" are LAL and PHI.

You have to account for that since the stat doesn't.

Fireball
01-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Technically your SoS will always be "worse" the better you are since you're feeding your opponents' losses. That's why the top 3 "weakest" SoS's are SAS, GSW, OKC. And the "strongest" are LAL and PHI.

You have to account for that since the stat doesn't.

But I also just need to look at the schedule so far to see that we mostly played shitty teams ... and of the games with what I considered tough opponents at the beginning of the season we lost to OKC, CHI, NO and HOU ... only quality wins seem to be DAL, LAC and perhaps the MEM/ATL games.

CGD
01-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Spurs v Warriors comes down to how well Parker is playing, period. Much is said about his poor defense and the fact that against the Warriors there is no place to hide him on that side of the ball. To that I say:

1. folks should take a look at the resurgent season Tony is having this year INCLUDING on defense. It's been shockingly good.

2. Also, where exactly do the Warriors expect to hide Curry against the Spurs? At "best" he'll be chasing Danny around screens all game or trying to keep up with Parker's dribble drives, and at worst he'll be posted up by Kawhi. Good luck if that happens.

3. The Parker-Barnes mismatch sucks for the spurs, yes, buts it's by design if the last playoff series between these two is any indication. If (big if) Barnes is able to show the mental fortitude to be "the man" when it counts, then I'll tip my hat to him. I'm still not convinced he can be that guy, and frankly I don't think an honest Warrior fan does either.

I dont disagree that the Warriors may be the favorites, they're damn good, but folks shouldn't act like they are in a different class than the Spurs.

Kidd K
01-02-2016, 12:15 AM
But I also just need to look at the schedule so far to see that we mostly played shitty teams ... and of the games with what I considered tough opponents at the beginning of the season we lost to OKC, CHI, NO and HOU ... only quality wins seem to be DAL, LAC and perhaps the MEM/ATL games.

We lost some games but you can't win 'em all. 2nd best record in league atm with largest margin of victory. You can't fault the Spurs for winning huge vs average opponents. They can only play who is put in front of them, and it would be unreasonable to call for them to be doing even better than they already are. They're on pace for 67.5 wins atm.

I'm very happy with their performance thus far.

BillMc
01-02-2016, 04:06 AM

This

Fireball
01-02-2016, 05:42 AM
We lost some games but you can't win 'em all. 2nd best record in league atm with largest margin of victory. You can't fault the Spurs for winning huge vs average opponents. They can only play who is put in front of them, and it would be unreasonable to call for them to be doing even better than they already are. They're on pace for 67.5 wins atm.

I'm very happy with their performance thus far.

Don't get me wrong ... I am happy how things have went so far. I just brought my two cents into this discussion because some here say Spurs will beat the Warriors in the playoffs and the Warriors record is the result of an easy schedule. Again, the Spurs schedule was just as easy and the Warriors are still the Champs ... so coming in here and stating we will have their number in the playoffs is just stupid. The Spurs fared well last regular season against the Dubs, but now they are a team with championship experience and a guy playing out of his mind. I do not say we cannot beat them, I just think everybody saying "we surely will" lives in a world of illusions ...

cjw
01-02-2016, 10:03 AM

They've each had the easiest two SOS's:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016.html#all_team_stats

Spurs' is much easier than it would be had it not played the Sixers twice too - that skews it heavily. Replace that game with a game won over a .500 team and GSW has the easiest SOS.

But these people calling Curry a rich man's Bonner are crazy. They've never watched him play.

Kidd K
01-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Don't get me wrong ... I am happy how things have went so far. I just brought my two cents into this discussion because some here say Spurs will beat the Warriors in the playoffs and the Warriors record is the result of an easy schedule. Again, the Spurs schedule was just as easy and the Warriors are still the Champs ... so coming in here and stating we will have their number in the playoffs is just stupid. The Spurs fared well last regular season against the Dubs, but now they are a team with championship experience and a guy playing out of his mind. I do not say we cannot beat them, I just think everybody saying "we surely will" lives in a world of illusions ...

Oh, I get you. I definitely am not saying they're better than the Warriors or that we "have their number". It's 50/50 at best and anyone saying otherwise is delusional. All I'm saying is that it is actually about 50/50. The Spurs and Warriors are comparatively excellent this year. We shouldn't be "scared we'll lose" nor "confident we'll win". But you should be confident the Warriors aren't a notch or two above the Spurs. We're right up there imo.

Yeah schedule's been not so hard, but neither has their been. Obviously they're not finishing the season 77-5 (their current pace). Even we're on pace for nearly 70 atm (68-14 pace)

theman21
01-03-2016, 12:47 PM
SoS is not as important a stat as margin of victory. SoS ignores injuries, bad refs, rivalries and match ups.

SoS can be combined with other stats to help sway a point but the way some people swing it around here like its a sledgehammer is ridiculous, get over it.