PDA

View Full Version : Today's games illustrate the Spurs' biggest advantage over the Warriors

Uriel
12-30-2015, 10:46 PM
The Spurs played against Phoenix without Tim Duncan, their franchise player, and proceeded to annihilate the Suns by 33.

The Warriors, on the other hand, played in Dallas without Steph Curry, their franchise player, and proceeded to get annihilated by the Mavs by 23.

The Spurs' biggest advantage over the Warriors is that they are much less reliant on a single player. If one Spurs player is unable to go due to injury, they have enough depth and talent across the board to still win games by a considerable margin. By contrast, if Curry gets injured, the Warriors are toast.

SupremeGuy
12-30-2015, 10:49 PM
:flag:

LarryDavid
12-30-2015, 10:50 PM
The Spurs played against Phoenix without Tim Duncan, their franchise player, and proceeded to annihilate the Suns by 33.

The Warriors, on the other hand, played in Dallas without Steph Curry, their franchise player, and proceeded to get annihilated by the Mavs by 23.

The Spurs' biggest advantage over the Warriors is that they are much less reliant on a single player. If one Spurs player is unable to go due to injury, they have enough depth and talent across the board to still win games by a considerable margin. By contrast, if Curry gets injured, the Warriors are toast.

You like the Spurs chances if Kawhi has a season ending injury?

Obstructed_View
12-30-2015, 10:51 PM

A lot more than I like the Dubs' chances without Curry.

DAF86

We wouldn't be getting killed by 23 pts, that's for sure.

dabom

Not very good. Kawhi is out franchise player not tim duncan.

100%duncan
12-30-2015, 10:52 PM
No :lol

apalisoc_9
:lmao:lmao

Comparing a current top 2 player to a 40 year old

Can spursfans be any more of a delusional.homer?

timtonymanu
I don't even think the two situations are comparable. But one thing is for sure, we can contain Curry with Wing Stop which is the real advantage here.

dabom
12-30-2015, 10:53 PM

I think some people just don't know.

FkLA
:lol I don't like GS but jesus christ what a terrible comparison. First, GS has several other injuries besides Curry. Two, Timmy isn't the 'franchise player' at this point in his career. Not comparable at all.

thiste

So who's gonna hip check Steph in the playoffs?

KDKSpurs24
12-30-2015, 10:54 PM

I actually agree with this...

dabom
OP a good poster but this is the bads. :lol

Emperor
They were also missing Barnes, Ezel and Barbosa just to be fair.

spurraider21
12-30-2015, 10:58 PM
:lol comparing duncan's impact to curry right now
:lol uriel
:lol IQ
:lol mensa

thiste
12-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Well, to be fair, if Kawhi doesn't play this game I still think we win anyway.

GSH
12-30-2015, 11:01 PM
A lot more than I like the Dubs' chances without Curry.

Kawhi is making it look so easy, I think a lot of us still under-rate how important he is. Remember the old days, when you thought Tim had a so-so night, and look up at his stat line - and it's just amazing? Kawhi is starting to be like that. His lines may not be as awesome as Tim's in those MVP years, but the point is Kawhi is doing a lot without a lot of splash. The Spurs aren't the same team without him in a game - especially on defense.

That being said, yeah, I like the Spurs chances without Kawhi better than the Warrior's without Curry. He's a crutch that they lean on constantly. Like it or not, the Spurs still have Tim, Tony, and LMA.

But, on the other other hand. That's only an advantage if Curry goes down to an injury. As long as he's in there, no lead is safe. It will be an interesting series, if that's the way it turns out.

dabom
12-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Also Suns missing their best player. :lol

NASpurs
12-30-2015, 11:03 PM
And at this point, the Suns are in disarray while the Mavs are well coached and a tough, crafty team. Dumb knee jerk thread.

Uriel
12-30-2015, 11:06 PM
I don't even think the two situations are comparable. But one thing is for sure, we can contain Curry with Wing Stop which is the real advantage here.

:lol I don't like GS but jesus christ what a terrible comparison. First, GS has several other injuries besides Curry. Two, Timmy isn't the 'franchise player' at this point in his career. Not comparable at all.

:lol comparing duncan's impact to curry right now
:lol uriel
:lol IQ
:lol mensa
Even if we consider Kawhi the franchise player, the point still stands. If Kawhi had sat out instead of Duncan, I don't think anybody would say that the Spurs would still lose to the Suns. The point is that the Spurs are much less reliant on one player than the Warriors are.

If the Spurs lose Kawhi to injury, they can still get by for a while. If the Warriors lose Curry, they're terrible.

cutewizard
12-30-2015, 11:08 PM
we hope the warriors lost consecutive games

dabom
12-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Even if we consider Kawhi the franchise player, the point still stands. If Kawhi had sat out instead of Duncan, I don't think anybody would say that the Spurs would still lose to the Suns. The point is that the Spurs are much less reliant on one player than the Warriors are.

If the Spurs lose Kawhi to injury, they can still get by for a while. If the Warriors lose Curry, they're terrible.

Warriors away from home. Spurs at home. Suns best player out. Dirk not out. :wakeup

cutewizard
true without curry gs is weak like today

cutewizard
hope gs loses to houston

ElNono
I thought Dallas was a playoff team? They don't suck

Uriel
12-30-2015, 11:10 PM
And at this point, the Suns are in disarray while the Mavs are well coached and a tough, crafty team. Dumb knee jerk thread.
The point is that the Spurs are much less reliant on a single player than the Warriors are. That's the Spurs biggest advantage over the Warriors.

The circumstances of the Suns and Mavs are beside the point.

Uriel
12-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Warriors away from home. Spurs at home. Suns best player out. Dirk not out. :wakeup
The point is that the Spurs are much less reliant on a single player than the Warriors are. That's the Spurs biggest advantage over the Warriors.

dabom
12-30-2015, 11:13 PM
We still rely on Kawhi for a lot of things. We look old without him. Trust me. I've seen it on many occasions. You should have learned that last year.

Uriel
12-30-2015, 11:16 PM
We still rely on Kawhi for a lot of things. We look old without him. Trust me. I've seen it on many occasions. You should have learned that last year.
Of course you're right, I don't dispute that at all. Kawhi is unequivocally our best player and we're going nowhere without him. All I'm saying is that the Spurs without Kawhi are much better than the Warriors without Curry.

ElNono
12-30-2015, 11:16 PM
I would agree the Kawhi/Curry comparison would be better. But also Dallas is a pretty good team, whereas the Suns, especially without Bledsoe are more accessible

dabom
12-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Of course you're right, I don't dispute that at all. Kawhi is unequivocally our best player and we're going nowhere without him. All I'm saying is that the Spurs without Kawhi are much better than the Warriors without Curry.

I can agree with this. Not that any team would go anywhere tbh. :lol

GSH
12-30-2015, 11:18 PM

Let's face it, Kawhi is the franchise player now. Tim is still Tim, but I don't think it's a matter of IF we consider Kawhi the franchise player.

But the Warriors have been beating EVERYBODY. They lost one game, but for the season the best anyone has been able to do is keep it close with them. They didn't get blown out by the Mavs because Ezeli was out. Okay, everybody has bad nights. But so far, they don't have bad nights when Curry is in the game. It's no coincidence that they had one tonight. And they would have a lot more, if Curry went down to an injury. We see the Spurs without important players all the time, thanks to Pop.

Of course, it's all moot unless Curry does have a long-term injury. Because with him in there, they're going to be a bitch to beat. Not unbeatable in a series, but damned hard.

If that was your point, then it's well taken. The bit about Tim probably didn't help your argument. 'Nuff said.

thiste
12-30-2015, 11:18 PM
By the way, it's obvious that the W are going nowhere without Curry, but it's not just him.

I also think they have zero chance in a series against us without Klay.

timtonymanu
12-30-2015, 11:19 PM
I would agree the Kawhi/Curry comparison would be better. But also Dallas is a pretty good team, whereas the Suns, especially without Bledsoe are more accessible

:tu

The Suns are playing worse than the Sixers right now

SpursFan86
12-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Home game against the Suns (without Bledsoe) without a 40 year-old Duncan =/= road game against Dallas without your best player + 3 other rotation guys

I mean I agree our depth is an advantage...but the two situations aren't remotely comparable.

TheDoctor
12-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Fuck the Warriors tbh. Cry babies. "Im NBA's best SG", proceed to fold when he had the best oportunity to back that shit up.

Uriel
12-30-2015, 11:25 PM
If that was your point, then it's well taken. The bit about Tim probably didn't help your argument. 'Nuff said.
Yeah, I should have left that part out. My bad. But the point still stands.

bic50
12-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Fuck the Warriors tbh. Cry babies. "Im NBA's best SG", proceed to fold when he had the best oportunity to back that shit up.

TheDoctor
12-30-2015, 11:27 PM

Since 2013 the Spurs are a mundane .500 team without Kawhi Leonard.

exstatic
12-31-2015, 12:05 AM

Of those three, only Barnes really matters.

YGWHI
12-31-2015, 12:24 AM
Since 2013 the Spurs are a mundane .500 team without Kawhi Leonard.

cjw
12-31-2015, 12:26 AM
GS won't be playing with the Steph we know against the Spurs as long as Kawhi/Green aren't in foul trouble.

GS is without Barnes too and that's a bigger hit without Curry. Forces more lineups with non-typical rotation guys. Spurs can afford to be without one or even three guys (see Philly 50 point game) because of depth. In playoffs, that depth isn't as critical.

gameFACE
12-31-2015, 12:30 AM
Whatever the matchups and who's injured or not - after all the GS hype the Spurs are only 2.5 games behind them with well over a half season to go. Not bad Spurs. Not bad.

YGWHI
12-31-2015, 12:38 AM
Even if some people think it's pathetic to celebrate Warriors losses...:flag:

YGWHI
12-31-2015, 12:40 AM
Whatever the matchups and who's injured or not - after all the GS hype the Spurs are only 2.5 games behind them with well over a half season to go. Not bad Spurs. Not bad.

:flag:

Proxy
12-31-2015, 01:05 AM
So we cross our fingers that curry isn't 100 percent in the playoffs. We have games against them late in the season. Boban... You know what to do

/blue font

sexinthatsx
12-31-2015, 01:56 AM
Warriors honestly just lucked out in the finals last year when half of the Cavs team was out due to injury. Without Curry, the Warriors are exposed. Hopefully NBA teams will finally realize that they don't have to be so gung-ho about defending Curry and bite on every 3 pointer he throws up. Instead, just give him as many pull up shots he wants but just play defense on everybody else.

sexinthatsx
12-31-2015, 01:58 AM
Also, LOL at Iguodala trying to downplay how much the Warriors rely on Steph Curry and preventing trash talk by doing damage control:

"I think people forget we've got like four guys out," said Andre Iguodala, who had 12 points. "We've been playing at such a high level, that gets overlooked sometimes."

LoneStarState'sPride
12-31-2015, 01:59 AM
So who's gonna hip check Steph in the playoffs?

D-West

Ditty
12-31-2015, 02:03 AM
That's why Curry is an "MVP" candidate. When Tim was winning MVP's it was tough for us to win any game ourselves. Warriors are going to be screwed if Curry, even Thompson isn't 100% by playoff time.

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 02:21 AM
Of course Kiwitards turn this into a :cry Kiwi is the team, not Tim :cry thread lol.

Fact is... Spurs depth > Gay Area worriors depth

Also... Spurs defense > Gay Area worriers defense

And... Spurs have LMA as a go to guy, GS has Gay Thompson and Brandon Bass Jr

spursistan
12-31-2015, 02:29 AM
injuries are catching up with the Dubs..Kerr will be soon back on the bench and he will end the nonsense of trying to catch reg season records..their season hinges on Curry ankles..

YGWHI
12-31-2015, 02:32 AM
And... Spurs have LMA as a go to guy, GS has Gay Thompson and Brandon Bass Jr

So the Spurs without Kawhi have LMA as a go to guy and GSW without Curry have Thompson and Brandon Bass, but how do you think that we have the advantage since you say Thompson is a lot better player than Kawhi in playoffs...

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 02:42 AM
So the Spurs without Kawhi have LMA as a go to guy and GSW without Curry have Thompson and Brandon Bass, but how do you think that we have the advantage since you say Thompson is a lot better player than Kawhi in playoffs...
Because I'll take my chances feeding LMA the ball against their midget lineup over "I'm the best SG in the league but shoot 4-15 without an alpha" Thompson

Lets not compare grapes and raisins, at the end of the day they are basically the same

YGWHI
12-31-2015, 02:49 AM
they are basically the same
So you're saying that Kawhi and Klay are basically the same player.... Nice.

SpursBig3s
12-31-2015, 02:50 AM

THIS. What a completely asinine statement

YGWHI
12-31-2015, 02:51 AM
At least this time it's not "Klay is a way better than Kawhi" now are almost the same...

Spurtacular
12-31-2015, 02:58 AM

The only Barnes they need is the one named Matt to be fair.

Emperor
12-31-2015, 03:02 AM
The only Barnes they need is the one named Matt to be fair.

:lol

GSH
12-31-2015, 03:02 AM
GS won't be playing with the Steph we know against the Spurs as long as Kawhi/Green aren't in foul trouble.

That's a damn good observation - I hope. Here's something I think people should consider:

Compare this year's Spurs team exactly as it is vs. this year's Warriors team exactly as it is... EXCEPT include the 2012-13 Steph Curry.

I think that's fair, since it was his fourth year in the league, so he was past his rookie contract, and he was healthy that season. If you look at it honestly, there's no chance that the Warriors would be 29-2 right now. Curry's PER-36 scoring is 31.6 points this year vs 21.6 points in '12-'13. His TS% this year is .680 vs .589 in '12-'13. He's playing fewer minutes per game, which is keeping him fresher for the end of games when he's so deadly.

Bottom line, Curry is playing at a ridiculously high level. It's his performance that has put them over the hump in so many games this season. The Spurs don't have to totally shut him down. If they can just make him less efficient, more like the Curry of just a few seasons ago. If they can shut down and outscore the GS bench, and force GS to keep Curry on the floor more, so that he doesn't have his legs as much at the end. That could be enough to make the difference.

The 2012-2013 Steph Curry was pretty damned good. But with that Steph Curry, this Spurs team can get past the Warriors I think. I don't know if that can be done. But the Spurs are the only team with the defense that might be able to do it.

rasuo214
12-31-2015, 04:30 AM
I think the biggest difference was the Spurs played the Suns and the Warriors played the Mavs. The Spurs probably beat the Suns even if they benched the entire SL the Suns are basically the Sixers of the west right now.

But that right there also illustrates the biggest advantage for the Spurs, the Spurs can win a game with their bench and 3rd string guys (Sixers game by 50 without Tim, Kawhi and Manu), I don't think the Warriors could.

Horry Hipcheck
12-31-2015, 04:55 AM

To be fair, Tim is not the centerpiece of the O like Curry is up in Oakland. If this were any time in the early 2000s, and Tim got injured or sat out against a playoff team, you can bet your ass the Spurs got walloped. I'll agree that Curry is more valuable to the Dubs than any single Spur is to their team, but losing Leonard would give the Spurs some issues to work past.

SouthernFried
12-31-2015, 08:45 AM
Chicago couldn't have won as much without Jordan either. Miami without LeBron. Spurs without Duncan. etc...etc...

Can the Spurs beat GS WITH Curry? That's what I'm interested in seeing. :)

Perry Mason
12-31-2015, 09:28 AM
To the terrible posters who laugh at the comparison, it isn't perfect by any means, but I laugh at your downplaying of Duncan. Your precious advanced stats rate him as the leagues best defender and one of the top 10 "impact" players in the league.

Kawhi has more regular season impact, but it's much closer to Duncan than you think. And when it comes to playoff leadership, see the 2015 Clippers series for our best and most consistent player.

z0sa
12-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Spurs in 2003 would be fucked with Tim Duncan just like the Warriors of this season.

ceperez
12-31-2015, 10:51 AM
D-West

Correct. He's the designated hip checker. He's review this film now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIuH95GCF50

wildbill2u
12-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Long way to go for both teams to be worried about who's going to have an advantage IF (not when) they meet in the WCF.

spursistan
12-31-2015, 03:18 PM
looking back, Spurs winning the ship 2014 in dominating fashion without having a top 10 player in their roster will remain one of the greatest feat in NBA history..i think the legaacy of that run will be more cemented in few years to come..

Thomas82
12-31-2015, 03:24 PM

+1

Amuseddaysleeper
12-31-2015, 04:54 PM
Spurs are still completely clueless in the clutch. Warriors know who they're going to every time down the stretch.