PDA

View Full Version : Pop on Boban: Didn't Enjoy MVP Chants, Says it "Worries" Him

T_L_P
12-30-2015, 11:02 PM
https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/682409166636453888

At least Pop finally came out and said it. Boban could be a very nice rotation player soon but he's quickly becoming a meme at this point. It's so boring reading 'Boban is GOAT' instead of actually talking about his play.

GSH
12-30-2015, 11:04 PM

At least Pop finally came out and said it. Boban could be a very nice rotation player soon but he's quickly becoming a meme at this point. It's so boring reading 'Boban is GOAT' instead of actually talking about his play.

Pop says it worries him when fans treat him "like an odd thing"? WTF does that even mean? I don't think they're treating him like an oddity at all. They're just excited because he looks so damn dominant in the paint. I still say that teams will make adjustments (like Len banging with him tonight). But there was nothing but admiration in those chants tonight.

That comment is just odd.

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 11:05 PM

That makes sense. He wants the fans to take him seriously and not patronize him and treat him like he's sandwich boy.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Said the same shit in the game thread. Fuck the clown who chanted MVP when he was at the line

FkLA
12-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Actually agree with this. Fans treat him like he's a circus freak instead of a solid basketball player. Kind of fucked up.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2015, 11:07 PM
To be fair though, road crowds go crazy for the guy as well... He's just charismatic

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 11:08 PM
Pop says it worries him when fans treat him "like an odd thing"? WTF does that even mean? I don't think they're treating him like an oddity at all. They're just excited because he looks so damn dominant in the paint. I still say that teams will make adjustments (like Len banging with him tonight). But there was nothing but admiration in those chants tonight.

That comment is just odd.

Not really. Pop is used to hearing people chant for Ginger when he comes in garbage time and he knows people have never taken him seriously. He just hopes Boban isn't looked at in the same way.

Ice009
12-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Actually agree with this. Fans treat him like he's a circus freak instead of a solid basketball player. Kind of fucked up.

Hmm. I never thought of this. I hope they're not chanting because they think he's a freak. He's a good Basketball player.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Same the same shit in the game thread. Fuck the clown who chanted MVP when he was at the line

It's a bunch of drunk messicans, they didn't say anything worse than what Pop said to the female ref last game. I fuckin' find the MVP chants to be corny/annoying but Pop is just being PC, you have folks using racial slurs & taunting players so corny fans should be the least of his worries.:lol

dabom
12-30-2015, 11:10 PM
It's 50/50. Pop just being a bitch making it a bigger deal than it has to be.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Not really. Pop is used to hearing people chant for Ginger when he comes in garbage time and he knows people have never taken him seriously. He just hopes Boban isn't looked at in the same way.

Fans used to cheer when Patty checks in & same w/ Manu.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2015, 11:11 PM

He seems to get energized by the crowd rooting for him, so at least there's that.

Also, can the crowd cheer as hard during the game as they do when Boban scores? I knew these lazy fucks held back

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:12 PM
It's 50/50. Pop just being a bitch making it a bigger deal than it has to be.

The game was a joke so he had to come up w/ some quotes for the beat guys out of pity.:lol

FkLA
To be fair though, road crowds go crazy for the guy as well... He's just charismatic

Road fans see him as a circus freak too. A couple looks at the stands confirms it imo...when you look at the stands they aren't in awe of his dominance, they're pointing at him and laughing.

Emperor
Boban should just enjoy all the attention he is getting. Chanting "MVP" isn't as bad as chanting "Freak". People just enjoy watching him play. He shouldn't be too worried about it.

Texas_Ranger
12-30-2015, 11:13 PM
It's stupid that some people are thinking he's a circus freak and they get surprised everytime he scores. The guy was the best center in Europe last year and had a season someone like Splitter never had or will have.

Kawhitstorm

It's not like he's fuckin' Mark Madsen or some shyt

cutewizard
the point is Boban just wants to play he wants to be known for his bb skills not just a fan attraction

cutewizard
boban has the right attitude period

SpursFan86
12-30-2015, 11:14 PM

This is how I interpreted his comments, and I can sort of see where he's coming from.

If he were playing just as well but wasn't a giant, would people be so crazy about him?

daslicer
12-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Danny Green said it best when he said it's just exciting to watch him play on the court because he does things you don't expect a guy his size can do. I think fans feel the same way about him.

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Fans used to cheer when Patty checks in & same w/ Manu.

The Manu chants were different though because the crowd had never seen the things he was doing in a Spurs uniform, not to mention his connection with the Latino community as one who paved the way for more Latinos to get in the league. They quickly smartened up and took him seriously.

dabom
12-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Our bench probably cheers harder than the fans. Fuck OFF pop. :lmao

bic50
12-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Guys that big usually don't have his skill.
When was the last time we've seem someone like him?
I'm excited that he's doing so well and that he plays for the spurs.

HI-FI
12-30-2015, 11:16 PM
It's a bunch of drunk messicans, they didn't say anything worse than what Pop said to the female ref last game. I fuckin' find the MVP chants to be corny/annoying but Pop is just being PC, you have folks using racial slurs & taunting players so corny fans should be the least of his worries.:lol
this.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:17 PM
It's stupid that some people are thinking he's a circus freak and they get surprised everytime he scores. The guy was the best center in Europe last year and had a season someone like Splitter never had or will have.

Do you expect casual fans who have been conditioned into thinking that any bench player taller than 7ft is a big stiff to realize he's a skilled big man despite playing limited minutes?:downspin:

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Road fans see him as a circus freak too. A couple looks at the stands confirms it imo...when you look at the stands they aren't in awe of his dominance, they're pointing at him and laughing.
You can say some fans treat him like that, sure, but I think they're also amazed at how talented he is for his size. You'd expect a stiff dude who can't shoot free throws and only dunks... He shows us every night he's far from it tbh

Like when he palmed the ball and juked Okafor twice, he's just fun to watch tbh

tmtcsc
12-30-2015, 11:20 PM
He's more than a victory cigar, which is exactly how I had him pegged early on. I hope he keeps playing like a "rotational" player.

TheGreatYacht
Not just Mexicans. The crowd is more white than anything, and the Philly crowd was majority black.

Texas_Ranger
Do you expect casual fans who have been conditioned into thinking that any bench player taller than 7ft is a big stiff to realize he's a skilled big man despite playing limited minutes?:downspin:

well I guess no, but if you are a Spurs fan you can or should check out the profile of your team players. :)

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:21 PM
The Manu chants were different though because the crowd had never seen the things he was doing in a Spurs uniform, not to mention his connection with the Latino community as one who paved the way for more Latinos to get in the league. They quickly smartened up and took him seriously.

What about Linsaity? Was that also a freak show?:downspin:

Tully365
12-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Have to admit, it is still a little strange and kind of fascinating in a sport where every team has a 6'11"-7'0" player, for Boban to trot out and dwarf everybody.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:22 PM
well I guess no, but if you are a Spurs fan you can or should check out the profile of your team players. :)

Expecting non basketball nerds to check out profiles:lmao

Uriel
12-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Pop is deploring the fact that the crowd treats Boban like a mascot rather than a legitimate NBA player. I think he has a point.

DPG21920
12-30-2015, 11:23 PM
I said something similar to Jeff Mc yesterday...

It's all good to have fun, but I really hope people don't think of him as a gimmick. He's played a lot of basketball and you have to be careful with not mocking someone and making them a parody.

SAGirl
12-30-2015, 11:23 PM
This is how I interpreted his comments, and I can sort of see where he's coming from.

If he were playing just as well but wasn't a giant, would people be so crazy about him?
Not to the degree they do.

I have to think J.Simms is capable of some real highlights, and so is Kawhi, and people do not go over yelling to that degree.

I guess I can kind of understand Pop's point. I get hyped up bc he's so dominant TBH.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Have to admit, it is still a little strange and kind of fascinating in a sport where every team has a 6'11"-7'0" player, for Boban to trot out and dwarf everybody.

You had guys like Nate Robinson/Muggsy who were fan favorites b/c they were even short for your average Joe but nobody claimed they were a freak show. If you are a stiff then nobody really cares unless you're the 15th man on a championship team like Mark Madsen.

GSH
Well based on a majority of the comments here, I think that most of the fans really think he's fucking Godzilla who can't be stopped in the paint. (Don't make me go back and dig up the quotes of people saying that here on ST.) You can't seriously compare the cheers for Boban to the chants for Bonner in garbage time.

Now... if some of you feel like you see him as some kind of circus freak, and want to project that onto everyone else? Well I guess that doesn't surprise me either.

TheGreatYacht
Let's not play innocent and go in on the crowd either....

Y'all the same dudes talking about Boban eating Tony if he got close to his wife.. :lol and making a big deal out of him having a hot wife

Capt Bringdown
12-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Popovich = Vinegar Tits, aka Big Girl's Blouse

Texas_Ranger
Expecting non basketball nerds to check out profiles:lmao

well if you're going to a game it would be nice if you know who is playing for your team.

Kawhitstorm
Pop is deploring the fact that the crowd treats Boban like a mascot rather than a legitimate NBA player. I think he has a point.

Talk about a 1%-er problem, last I checked he's paid to entertain the crowd:lol

SpursFan86
12-30-2015, 11:26 PM
You had guys like Nate Robinson/Muggsy who were fan favorites b/c they were even short for your average Joe but nobody claimed they were a freak show.

Nate Robinson is like one inch shorter than the average American male :lol Even 5'3" guys like Bogues are far, far more common than 7'3" people.

Uriel
12-30-2015, 11:27 PM
:lol True, though.

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 11:28 PM

Considering that people were calling him Godzilla, Charlie, and other racial slurs...yeah, people did consider him a freak show, unfortunately.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:30 PM
well if you're going to a game it would be nice if you know who is playing for your team.

You obviously haven't attended NBA games in the States, most of the folks who can afford to attend the games more than once a month can't name you two guys on their team's bench :lol

ElNono
12-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Yao was seen the same way early on, tbh... Eventually he earned the respect and accolades...

thiste
12-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Some people here have said it, he's a frigging 7'3 center from eastern Europe.
He's supposed to be a stiff with no range and 30% FT shooting. He's just surprising everybody and people just want more of that.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Considering that people were calling him Godzilla, Charlie, and other racial slurs...yeah, people did consider him a freak show, unfortunately.

As if Jeremy Lin cared about being a "freak show" :lol b/c of what folks on message board were typing:lmao

ElNono
12-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Plus having a 7'3 guy that's somewhat skilled feels like having the basketball cheat code... It's not surprising to be giddy about it

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:35 PM
New Flash: Steve Kerr complains about Steph Curry being treated like a freak show b/c fans cheer every time he touches the ball:lmao

SpurPadre
12-30-2015, 11:36 PM
As if Jeremy Lin cared about being a "freak show" :lol b/c of what folks on message board were typing:lmao

I'm talking about fans at games. He's talked about it in interviews, specifically that it did bother him.

TheDoctor
12-30-2015, 11:37 PM
... He's just charismatic

If one were to describe Boban in one word that would be it. All he does looks legit and real. From pumping his fist every time a teammate makes a shot to worry when some of the guys hit the floor.

Just an awesome human being. At least from a TV perspective.

TheGreatYacht
Some people here have said it, he's a frigging 7'3 center from eastern Europe.
He's supposed to be a stiff with no range and 30% FT shooting. He's just surprising everybody and people just want more of that.
Exactly. People booed Phil when he drafted Porzingis, thinking he was a stereotypical lottery bust... Now people are seeing his upside and are making a big deal out of it... Calling him Godzingis etc

He's also 7'3

Kawhitstorm
Nate Robinson is like one inch shorter than the average American male :lol Even 5'3" guys like Bogues are far, far more common than 7'3" people.

Big Dummy, the difference in height b/w Nate Robinson/Muggsy & the average NBA player is BIGGER than Boban.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm talking about fans at games. He's talked about it in interviews, specifically that it did bother him.

It bothered his so much that he signed up to play for a team that caters to the Asian market (Rockets):lmao

thiste
12-30-2015, 11:40 PM
He's supposed to be a stiff with no range and 30% FT shooting.

BTW I remember the game in Minnesota I think where the crowd reacted when Boban went to the line cuz they were winning ice cream or some shit if he missed both his FTs. It's not just the Spurs crowd who's reacting to the stereotype.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2015, 11:40 PM
If one were to describe Boban in one word that would be it. All he does looks legit and real. From pumping his fist every time a teammate makes a shot to worry when some of the guys hit the floor.

Just an awesome human being. At least from a TV perspective.
Yup, and he embraces it :tu

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:45 PM
I guess I can kind of understand Pop's point. I get hyped up bc he's so dominant TBH.

Pop is just being a diva, the fans did nothing besides cheering for their favorite player. Is Byron Scott complaining about fans cheering for Kirby despite being the most inefficient player in the league when the Lakers are actually a traveling circus & Kobe is the clown? :lol

Soccer players of African origins being taunted in Europe would love to be in the same situation as Boban.

W-iRLmaZf4A

MarCowMar
12-30-2015, 11:48 PM
What the fuck does Pop want us to do? Golf clap? Sip our drinks and read text messages? Leave the game early before the parking lot gets crowded? Sheesh.

The Spurs are amazing, but sometimes even watching an artist perform at the highest level can be boring. Who hasn't snoozed at a symphony or ballet? When Boban comes in, all the rules and conventions change. The spacing changes. The sets change. The other teams begin to scramble. Players who are used to banging in the paint and having their space start getting pushed around like dolls by Boban. The only players I've seen that affect the game in the style Boban does are Yao and Shaq. He is FUN to watch because his game is so different, and honestly it reflects poorly on Pop that he thinks it's because of Boban's looks.

Oh but yeah the MVP chant is too much, lol.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Soccer players of African origins being taunted in Europe would love to be in the same situation as Boban.

W-iRLmaZf4A
Wtf are u talking about :lol

http://youtu.be/IwgTSMV7jug

http://youtu.be/Hsbg9NiMRzk

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2015, 11:52 PM
Wtf are u talking about :lol

Eastern Europe, Greece & Spain are the most notorious for their racist chants. Eastern Europe & England is like the Deep South vs North

MultiTroll
12-30-2015, 11:56 PM
What the fuck does Pop want us to do? Golf clap? Sip our drinks and read text messages? Leave the game early before the parking lot gets crowded? Sheesh.

The Spurs are amazing, but sometimes even watching an artist perform at the highest level can be boring. Who hasn't snoozed at a symphony or ballet? When Boban comes in, all the rules and conventions change. The spacing changes. The sets change. The other teams begin to scramble. Players who are used to banging in the paint and having their space start getting pushed around like dolls by Boban. The only players I've seen that affect the game in the style Boban does are Yao and Shaq. He is FUN to watch because his game is so different, and honestly it reflects poorly on Pop that he thinks it's because of Boban's looks.

Oh but yeah the MVP chant is too much, lol.
Poppycock attempting to kill all the enthusiasm.
Sounds jealous to me tbh.

boutons_deux
12-31-2015, 12:00 AM
As always, Pop is right. Boban is trying to make the NBA, just like 100s of other 2nd and 3rd stringers, like NBDL guys. He's not a joke of a mascot to be kidded about.

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Eastern Europe, Greece & Spain are the most notorious for their racist chants. Eastern Europe & England is like the Deep South vs North
No dude, that's you seeing everything thru race. Can't be calling out racism when you were the first one bringing up race in this thread

Gareth Bale, white Welsch, gets shit because he looks like a monkey...

http://youtu.be/fIiNt4Ap1Jk

Wayne Rooney, white Brit, gets shit because he looks like an ogre...

http://youtu.be/muZjelScbTA

YGWHI
12-31-2015, 12:06 AM
and making a big deal out of him having a hot wife

Not really, nobody said "wtf? how did the giant get that girl"...Men are just talking about women online, surprising?

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 12:08 AM
No dude, that's you seeing everything thru race. Can't be calling out racism when you were the first one bringing up race in this thread

Big Dummy, EVERY PLAYER gets taunted but not every taunt has a racist connotation to it. The go to taunt for ANY player of African origin in Eastern Europe is throwing bananas/monkey chants. The equivalent of that would be depicting EVERY white player as Neanderthals which actually is genetically valid unlike linking human to monkeys which is scientifically invalid.

100%duncan
12-31-2015, 12:11 AM

Haven't thought about it like this. It's actually disturbing

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Big Dummy, EVERY PLAYER gets taunted but not every taunt has a racist connotation to it. The go to taunt for ANY player of African origin in Eastern Europe is throwing bananas/monkey chants. The equivalent of that would be depicting EVERY white player as Neanderthals which actually is genetically valid unlike linking human to monkeys which is scientifically invalid.
There's bigots everywhere. That will never change.

You'll only make things worse by attacking Sharapova because people hate Serena (for being a poor sport tbh) & calling Bird overrated because today's era is "bigger, faster, stronger" even though small ball and flopping is the in thing :lol

SpurPadre
12-31-2015, 12:14 AM
It bothered his so much that he signed up to play for a team that caters to the Asian market (Rockets):lmao

Uh yeah,but by then "Linsanity" was gone and he was just another high-priced Rockets bust. Huge difference.

thiste
12-31-2015, 12:15 AM

It's not genetically valid. We're not Neaderthals, we killed them.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 12:21 AM
There's bigots everywhere. That will never change.

Why in the hell is Pop being a diva bout it?:lol

You'll only make things worse by attacking Sharapova because people hate Serena (for being a poor sport tbh) & calling Bird overrated because today's era is "bigger, faster, stronger" even though small ball and flopping is the in thing :lol

I'm actually not a fan of Serena, I just defended her when bigots were calling her a "gorilla". I have never stated Bird was overrated.:downspin:

tmtcsc
12-31-2015, 12:23 AM
But...FIRE BAD !!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/00/78/c3007807f531f5ce6f64dd2a0439cb1e.jpg

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 12:26 AM
It's not genetically valid. We're not Neaderthals, we killed them.

Ancestors of modern Europeans interbred with Neanderthals before they eventually slaughtered them just like they raped & pillaged Natives before they took their land.:lol

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 12:27 AM
Why in the hell is Pop being a diva bout it?:lol
Ive been saying it... He hates when players outshine him and the system. Don't say I didn't warn y'all :lol

I'm actually not a fan of Serena, I just defended her when bigots were calling her a "gorilla". I have never stated Bird was overrated.:downspin:
Yup I saw that thread, we think with our dicks. You can't lie, you'd hit Sharapova up first any day :lol tbh

Kool Bob Love
12-31-2015, 12:32 AM
Oh cmon Pop that's horseshit. Smfh.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 12:34 AM
You can't lie, you'd hit Sharapova up first any day :lol tbh

Sharapova is tall as a giraffe, has no curves, cheesy/high maintenance & her face is just not cute to me thb:lol. Maria Kirilenko is a dime & Ana Ivanovic seems like a fun/goofy chick.

thiste
12-31-2015, 12:41 AM
Sharapova is tall as a giraffe, has no curves, cheesy/high maintenance & her face is just not cute to me thb:lol. Maria Kirilenko is a dime & Ana Ivanovic seems like a fun/goofy chick.

I'm no hunter but I'd damn well put a shell in Ivanovic for sure.

SupremeGuy
12-31-2015, 12:43 AM
Big Dummy, EVERY PLAYER gets taunted but not every taunt has a racist connotation to it. The go to taunt for ANY player of African origin in Eastern Europe is throwing bananas/monkey chants. The equivalent of that would be depicting EVERY white player as Neanderthals which actually is genetically valid unlike linking human to monkeys which is scientifically invalid.http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 12:46 AM
You seen Enrique Iglesias wife? :wow She played tennis too

cjw
12-31-2015, 12:47 AM

I was at MSG the night it started. Melo was out and Lin was going head to head with DWill (at that time, considered the second coming to NJ Nets fans). The first few baskets were cool, but it was mostly Asian fanboys and girls cheering for him at that point in time. And then he kept it up. By the end, the chants started, Pearl Jam played after the game and he got his interview in front of what was still a packed house.

First game was really no different than the Langston Galloway game. By the time the showdown with Kobe happened, everyone was tuned into it - was at a restaurant and everyone had gotten up and walked over to bar to watch.

During the whole Linsanity craze, there was actually a battle going in between Dolan (owner of Knicks, MSG Network and Cablevision) and Time Warner (I think), and most of NYC couldn't watch Knicks games on TV. So bars were hopping for regular season games.

Not sure if it was Melo or Morey who ended Linsanity.

Proxy
12-31-2015, 01:00 AM
People are generally very empathetic and sensitive to the feelings everyone in the world. Pop is so definitely wrong wow. San Antonio is only full of classy people.

apalisoc_9
12-31-2015, 01:02 AM
San Antonio is treating Boban the same way that bully would treat that weird dude in school who for some reason is doing something nice.

Its not a compliment at this point. Stop treating him like a circus clown. Really disheartening.

Blue Duck
12-31-2015, 01:19 AM
Wow, I've been cheering for Boban allot. I didn't realize that I was such an inhumane asshole for doing that. Good thing we can always count on the PC police to keep low life sons of bitches like me in check. Next time Bob an scores, I'll do my best to quiet the crowd. Also, I'll try not to react when a black guy can jump really high, wouldn't wanna be racist too. I know......., we should all just become a golf crowd, that would be fun. Thanks for presuming to know my thoughts better than I do, PC police, without you, I would have just thought I was excited or something weird. Oh, by the way, I'll write to espn, Fox sports, cbs, abc, etc and tell them to stop using the word "freak" to describe athletes, since I hear that offensive language every single time I watch sports.

Mikeanaro
12-31-2015, 01:20 AM
Fuck Pop, Im having a good time cheering for Boban because he is playing great, yes he is huge and everytime he blocks a guy without even jumping I cant fucking believe it that makes me happy as a Spur fan, fuck this old sack of shit I wasnt cheering for him when he let Porker ran the show vs Clips.

InRareForm
12-31-2015, 01:24 AM
sports are supposed to be fun...

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 01:30 AM
sports are supposed to be fun...

Fl_I9s1cN3Q

lilbthebasedgod
12-31-2015, 01:33 AM
He's right. I've been saying this for a while. Its beyond patronizing and disturbing the way he's treated.

Its whatever tho, I'm sure he can handle it and doesn't need people defending him on the internet or anything.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 01:36 AM
You seen Enrique Iglesias wife? :wow She played tennis too

I'm talking about CURRENT tennis players.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 01:38 AM
He's right. I've been saying this for a while. Its beyond patronizing and disturbing the way he's treated.

Its whatever tho, I'm sure he can handle it and doesn't need people defending him on the internet or anything.

OMG, how could they cheer for me?.....WHY GOD, WHY DID YOU MAKE ME A 7'3" MILLIONAIRE? :cry

Leebrix
12-31-2015, 01:49 AM
The guy has game... not much else you can say. it's not often you see a guy his size with that much skill. He makes his fuckin free throws, grabs boards, clogs the lane, and has an outside J that he has shown on occasion.... it's not only the fans that recognize this.... everything he does has the whole fuckin spurs bench standing to cheer him on, starting with TD

LoneStarState'sPride
12-31-2015, 01:50 AM

No it fucking isn't.

Jesus H. Christ.

Ditty
12-31-2015, 01:54 AM
Blowout games do get kind of boring. I know where Pop is coming from, but he is being a little ridiculous. People are cheering Boban not just because he is tall, but he is a very good player that doesn't play much. If he got regular minutes I promise you that fans wouldn't be going crazy for him, which Boban has stated he loves the fans and city. At games I've been stupid myself after a few beers, and chanted MVP for some random player on the Spurs, but usually it's during a non anxiety game which is usually during a blowout or early in the game.

Splits
12-31-2015, 02:05 AM
Pop trolling per par.

As if he doesn't know what the fucking Serbian crowds are like :lol

Those fuckers make NBA crowds look like the gallery at the Masters

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 02:07 AM
Boban is the euro league MVP, tbh... Fucked up on Poop's part for implying he's a circus attraction

BillMc
12-31-2015, 02:08 AM
Pop probably overheard a bad apple in the crowd and extrapolated. Most fans I'm sure are rooting for Boban for the right reasons.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 02:09 AM
Blowout games do get kind of boring. I know where Pop is coming from, but he is being a little ridiculous. People are cheering Boban not just because he is tall, but he is a very good player that doesn't play much. If he got regular minutes I promise you that fans wouldn't be going crazy for him, which Boban has stated he loves the fans and city. At games I've been stupid myself after a few beers, and chanted MVP for some random player on the Spurs, but usually it's during a non anxiety game which is usually during a blowout or early in the game.

Baynes got share of applause when he had a coming out party in the 2014 playoffs against the Blazers & it continued through the 2014-15 regular season. Baynes himself was a cult hero b/c of how huge he was but nobody would have cared if 2014 never happened.

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 02:10 AM
Also, Poop didn't act salty when Bonner was the fan favorite during blowouts... Jealous tbh

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 02:11 AM
Boban is the euro league MVP, tbh... Fucked up on Poop's part for implying he's a circus attraction

If there was ever a circus attraction on the team, it would be Pop's boy Bonner:lol

Splits
12-31-2015, 02:11 AM
rxgITGp6Izs

Boban is used to this shit and can't handle a couple of drunk dudes chanting "MVP"?

:lmao whatever

1yQi1vOgDEs

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 02:13 AM
Also, Poop didn't act salty when Bonner was the fan favorite during blowouts... Jealous tbh

He's just salty that Boban is bringing unprecedented national attention to the team even in boring blowouts:lol; Where Art Thou Ayres? He doesn't want Boban to be bigger than the team, tbh.:lol

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 02:15 AM
If there was ever a circus attraction on the team, it would be Pop's boy Bonner:lol
:cry Boban is taking Matty's place as the victory cigar.. It's all he has left :cry

Ditty
12-31-2015, 02:16 AM
Baynes got share of applause when he had a coming out party in the 2014 playoffs against the Blazers & it continued through the 2014-15 regular season. Baynes himself was a cult hero b/c of how huge he was but nobody would have cared if 2014 never happened.

Spurs fans fell in love with Patty in 2012 & 2013 season because he was so hyped off the bench during timeouts, and the towel waving schtick. He didn't play much either but people loved him. Now that he plays a lot more yeah people will cheer for him a lot louder than other players outside of Tim, Tony and Manu.

Splits
12-31-2015, 02:17 AM
Pop: "BOBAN, I am sorry for those MVP chants. Please see the team shrink on your day off tomorrow to see if this is reparable"

BOBAN: "Pop. Watch film. I played in Serbia. They fucking light fires in the stands before games. I think I OK. Here tape."

lyyYMQMPB9k

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 02:19 AM
:cry Boban is taking Matty's place as the victory cigar.. It's all he has left :cry

Bonner actually took Ayres spot as the victory cigar:lol, Boban is currently bigger than the rest of the bench which is what's fuckin' w/ Pop b/c the reporters only ask about Boban rather than the vets (Manu/Bobo/Patty).

It's going to get into his head; :pop:

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 02:21 AM
Pop: "BOBAN, I am sorry for those MVP chants. Please see the team shrink on your day off tomorrow to see if this is reparable"

BOBAN: "Pop. Watch film. I played in Serbia. They fucking light fires in the stands before games. I think I OK. Here tape."

:pop:: "You need to get over yourself Boban, it has gotten into your head.":bang

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 02:24 AM
Bonner actually took Ayres spot as the victory cigar:lol, Boban is currently bigger than the rest of the bench which is what's fuckin' w/ Pop b/c the reporters only ask about Boban rather than the vets (Manu/Bobo/Patty).

It's going to get into his head; :pop:
If anyone is to blame, it's the beat reporters. With the "My Giant" memes and corny jokes about him eating villages (like stated below)

Solid D
12-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Boban is scoring the same number of points/game (4.8) as his fellow All-Eurolegue fist team mate and fellow Serb, T-Wolves' Nemanja Bjelica...& Boban is doing so in 1/3 the minutes/game.

TheGreatYacht
12-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Not a bad reason to be chanting MVP, Poop. Dude fills the stat sheet in the little minutes he gets.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 02:32 AM
If anyone is to blame, it's the beat reporters. With the "My Giant" memes and corny jokes about him eating villages (like stated below)

Even Zach Lowe is on the Boban fandom:

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 02:35 AM
Spurs fans fell in love with Patty in 2012 & 2013 season because he was so hyped off the bench during timeouts, and the towel waving schtick. He didn't play much either but people loved him. Now that he plays a lot more yeah people will cheer for him a lot louder than other players outside of Tim, Tony and Manu.

Pop is afraid of a Linsanity type phenomena & is trying to kill it but in the age of social media the old man is helpless:pop:

Splits
12-31-2015, 02:36 AM

:lmao

Not a bad reason to be chanting MVP, Poop. Dude fills the stat sheet in the little minutes he gets.

:wow

Even Zach Lowe is on the Boban fandom:

Zach gets it.

Splits
12-31-2015, 02:37 AM
I wonder what they called BOBAN in these type of games

GHOrpe0hn-U

:cry mvp :cry

Obstructed_View
12-31-2015, 03:13 AM
Pop's missing the point. Marjanovic is a legitimately exciting player, and saying anything else is a lie. He's also absolutely the biggest surprise the team has had in a long time. Nobody expected him to be able to do the things he can do. I'm not ashamed to admit that I really love watching him play. Why shouldn't anyone else? Kobe fans have been chanting MVP for years; nobody takes it seriously anymore.

jag
12-31-2015, 03:54 AM
He's unique in many ways and has an impressive skill set. He's exciting to watch and he's been a huge suprise to a lot of people when you so consider how quickly he's managed to adapt.

Yes, he's an odd looking dude, but so was Sam Cassell and Popeye Jones and Lebron when he takes off his headband. We don't have to pretend he's just a normal guy. He's also incredibly likable and I think people just enjoy rooting for him, especially when you see how passionate he is about the game (even on the sidelines). It's just a matter of people having fun and getting behind a likable bench player. Each time he steps onto the floor he earns a greater amount of respect from the crowd, his teammates and opponents. For now, let people have fun rooting for him, for whatever reason.

Kikoluna
12-31-2015, 04:10 AM
I wish he'd play more minutes but I understand the minutes limit to prevent foot injuries a la yao ming. The guy is so energetic and a great teammate, always clapping and first to high 5. The guy is not a freak but a solid rotation guy. He will leave a mark I think. You can't single cover him, if you do, you leave leonard, green or patty open for a 3.

Splits
12-31-2015, 04:12 AM
BOBAN: "So wait, wife can come to game?"

ijH1gZSfBeM

:lol 7:30

Cry Havoc
12-31-2015, 04:25 AM

If you are an American male 7' or over, you have a 19% chance of playing in the NBA.

That should tell you all you need to know about how rare 7-footers are.

Splits
12-31-2015, 04:25 AM
:cry mvp :cry

http://i.imgur.com/dNobqzd.jpg

BillMc
12-31-2015, 04:37 AM
When your team's 5th big getting MVP chants is a problem, you know the season is going well.

DrSteffo
12-31-2015, 05:26 AM

That Ethan Strauss retard seems to be one fascist jew!

Raven
12-31-2015, 06:00 AM
pop is right. we don't want boban to become cocky or anything, he is still far from being a reliable contributor, especially on D. I do understand the excitement though, we wanted a scary big for a long time.

BillMc
12-31-2015, 06:41 AM

Nice journalism there, Ethan.

SouthernFried
12-31-2015, 07:24 AM
Wow...this surprises me. The thought of BOBAN being a "freak" never entered my mind at all. If anything, I've been excited and happy about BOBAN's play. It looked like another one of Pop's genius moves. The potential of having another good big on our team is getting the whole city excited. He's been great, and that is good for the Spurs, for Boban, and the whole city. I think we're all happy about this...and we're showing it.

This comment could show more about Pop's or other talking heads state of mind, than anyone elses. The fans couldn't be happier for Boban and the Spurs. And I, for one, am going to STAY excited about Boban. This has been great.

Physician...heal thyself.

DrSteffo
12-31-2015, 07:40 AM
I said something similar to Jeff Mc yesterday...

It's all good to have fun, but I really hope people don't think of him as a gimmick. He's played a lot of basketball and you have to be careful with not mocking someone and making them a parody.

Thanks dude.

ceperez
12-31-2015, 08:00 AM
In one of Boban's interview he spoke about how he talked to himself while taking free throws. That game him focus. So he makes a lot of effort to keep his mind on the task.

The crowds then starts chanting 'MVP', and he momentarily lost it resulting in him barely hitting the rim with the free throw attempt. Of course it bothers him! But something may have been lost in translation when he spoke to Pop.

The MVP chant is a dream come through for most any NBA player. At least he has the recognition not to acknowledge it knowing that he's got a lot more work to do. It's just emotion and his rational self that is in conflict. Nothing major. The freak show thing shouldn't be a problem given how much worse it would have been in Serbia. He' used to that. NBA MVP chant, well that's something entirely new.

UZER
12-31-2015, 08:01 AM
Why is Pop such a party pooper?! Pop to Spurs arena announcer: Don't call us defending champions during intro.

I mean, WTH?!

This sounds more like Pop prepping for the shit storm if Boban continues to improve and becomes a legitimate player, and Pop just refuses to play him in the playoffs because "he's not ready".

littlecoyotecoin
12-31-2015, 08:11 AM

You started off so well...

ceperez
12-31-2015, 08:12 AM
Why is Pop such a party pooper?! Pop to Spurs arena announcer: Don't call us defending champions during intro.

I mean, WTH?!

This sounds more like Pop prepping for the shit storm if Boban continues to improve and becomes a legitimate player, and Pop just refuses to play him in the playoffs because "he's not ready".

Pop saying 'don't over inflate the rookie's ego, we still need to sign him up for next year'.

SupremeGuy
12-31-2015, 08:51 AM
I don't think anyone is doing it to be a dick, it seems like everyone is just having a great time celebrating his play, tbh. Pop should relax and stop reading too deeply into fan chants.

Frankie
12-31-2015, 09:33 AM
Frankie love Boban. Boban gggooooooooodddddd

Go Boban Go

z0sa
12-31-2015, 09:38 AM

true dat

Proxy
12-31-2015, 12:07 PM
true dat

He's a successful basketball player, so bigotry and apathy.... it's okay. I'm also a good person.

z0sa
12-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Bigotry?

Chinook
12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Ugh. Has anyone used the term "sizist" yet? If not, let's keep it that way. Pop should STFU on this. Boban is getting those chants because he is literally dominating every time he touches the court. Are people cheering for/meming Tavares? No, because Eddy isn't a good player. If there were such a thing as a per-minute or advanced-stats MVP, Boban would be it. HIS PLAY has been that good. It's like DeJuan Blair's rookie year except there isn't the dark cloud of "we know this isn't going to work long term" hanging over Marjanovic.

And Boban's "People cheer for me too much" gripe is ludicrous. The guy has to get thicker skin than that. I guess he totally made the right choice transitioning with the Spurs, because this mania would be worse had he signed with a team like the Lakers or Knicks. If he to be taken out of his game by people chanting "MVP", then he can solve all that by playing worse. It's just absurd that people are coming to his defense when this is no worse than the meme's around Kawhi's hands.

DrSteffo
12-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Ugh. Has anyone used the term "sizist" yet? If not, let's keep it that way. Pop should STFU on this. Boban is getting those chants because he is literally dominating every time he touches the court. Are people cheering for/meming Tavares? No, because Eddy isn't a good player. If there were such a thing as a per-minute or advanced-stats MVP, Boban would be it. HIS PLAY has been that good. It's like DeJuan Blair's rookie year except there isn't the dark cloud of "we know this isn't going to work long term" hanging over Marjanovic.

And Boban's "People cheer for me too much" gripe is ludicrous. The guy has to get thicker skin than that. I guess he totally made the right choice transitioning with the Spurs, because this mania would be worse had he signed with a team like the Lakers or Knicks. If he to be taken out of his game by people chanting "MVP", then he can solve all that by playing worse. It's just absurd that people are coming to his defense when this is no worse than the meme's around Kawhi's hands.

Nah you are wrong. I used to agree with you but now it's 50/50.

dabom
12-31-2015, 12:43 PM

Fans are going to cheer. Are you saying you don't want the fans to cheer. MVP chants are lighthearted in nature. I'm pretty sure this guy has heard it all in Europe. Everything is PC here for christ's sake.

Chinook
12-31-2015, 12:43 PM

Am I wrong that people are cheering his play more than his height? Or am I wrong for thinking that Boban/Pop have no right to be upset about people cheering for him since it's not just about his freakish height? Or am I wrong for thinking that he needs to get thicker skin if he's going to miss free throws simply because someone chants MVP? Or that Kawhi's hands were memed, and he dealt with it all the way through his fMVP performance?

DrSteffo
12-31-2015, 12:45 PM
Fans are going to cheer. Are you saying you don't want the fans to cheer. MVP chants are lighthearted in nature. I'm pretty sure this guy has heard it all in Europe. Everything is PC here for christ's sake.

I want the fans to cheer.

dabom
12-31-2015, 12:46 PM
I want the fans to cheer.

Sounds good.

DrSteffo
12-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Am I wrong that people are cheering his play more than his height? Or am I wrong for thinking that Boban/Pop have no right to be upset about people cheering for him since it's not just about his freakish height? Or am I wrong for thinking that he needs to get thicker skin if he's going to miss free throws simply because someone chants MVP? Or that Kawhi's hands were memed, and he dealt with it all the way through his fMVP performance?

Yep.

Chinook
12-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Yep.

Well, thanks Doc. Dunno where we'd be without your input.

DrSteffo
12-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Well, thanks Doc. Dunno where we'd be without your input.

Your welcome, cheers!

LoneStarState'sPride
12-31-2015, 01:21 PM
BOBAN: "So wait, wife can come to game?"

ijH1gZSfBeM

:lol 7:30

OPA! :lol

wildbill2u
12-31-2015, 02:39 PM
The fun of all this Bobanmania is one of the staples of human reactions--the surprise at something that appears to be much different from what is expected. (e.g. the dancing bear is greeted with applause, not because of how well the bear dances, but because it can dance at all.) Think Richard Kiel, the giant villain "Jaws" of the Bond films. He moved like the Frankenstein monster and was fearsome.

With Boban, you expect Kiel and get a real athlete--just check out his physical body musculature structure in that pic with his wife. You don't really expect a giant to move with any fluidity, have great hands, or a soft shooting touch. Hence the reaction of the fans which I think is all in good fun. I also expect that reaction to tone down some when he starts getting more regular minutes when the game is still on and doesn't appear to be a human victory cigar.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2015, 05:09 PM
He's a successful basketball player, so bigotry and apathy.... it's okay. I'm also a good person.

The US military is blowing up innocent folks every minute & the PC police is witch hunting b/c folks cheered a professional entertainer who they paid to watch :rolleyes. Pop himself is affiliated w/ the military & has never called them out after they committed numerous atrocities instead he invites them to games.:sleepHe should STFU & coach, just like Holt signs the checks & minds his own business.

objective
12-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Pop has no one to blame but himself.

Fans treat Boban as a weird victory cigar because that's how Pop treats him. If Pop treated him like a normal player who was producing like this, getting 15+ minutes against real teams as part of a real rotation with Duncan starting, the fans would too. He'd still be a fan favorite, but there wouldn't be the novelty nonsense that bothers Pop so much.

Hell, Pop didn't even use Boban's popularity to his advantage. Whenever the team needs a spark of some fire and get the crowd going in the 3rd/4th, he should put Boban in. Get the crowd involved, get things rolling. But does he even do that? No.

But here's what will probably happen. Boban will be totally benched, even inactive, for about 2 weeks. Because Pop now has to teach the fans a lesson. Just like how he benched Simmons for the crime of being noticed by the media and fans, he's going to slam Boban.

ElNono
12-31-2015, 05:49 PM
Party Popper, tbh

SPURt
12-31-2015, 05:59 PM
Boban is doing work so Pop needs to see how deep that well is before the playoffs. Pop is worried because the amount of blow jobs he owes RC would make a porn star's stomach turn.

ceperez
12-31-2015, 06:01 PM

Fans treat Boban as a weird victory cigar because that's how Pop treats him. If Pop treated him like a normal player who was producing like this, getting 15+ minutes against real teams as part of a real rotation with Duncan starting, the fans would too. He'd still be a fan favorite, but there wouldn't be the novelty nonsense that bothers Pop so much.

Hell, Pop didn't even use Boban's popularity to his advantage. Whenever the team needs a spark of some fire and get the crowd going in the 3rd/4th, he should put Boban in. Get the crowd involved, get things rolling. But does he even do that? No.

But here's what will probably happen. Boban will be totally benched, even inactive, for about 2 weeks. Because Pop now has to teach the fans a lesson. Just like how he benched Simmons for the crime of being noticed by the media and fans, he's going to slam Boban.

I think this is an exaggeration. Boban, just like Spitter before him, is slowing being worked into the team.

Of course, in all the 6 losses of the Spurs, Boban played in only one game. That's agains the Pelican where the Spurs were blown out.

spurs10
12-31-2015, 06:24 PM
Glad DPG called out Jeff. Boban is a great guy that is playing better than any rookie I can recall. He is a big lad....it's just the way it is. We wouldn't be experiencing "Bobanmania" (like that wildbill) if he wasn't playing so great. I love seeing him take the court because I know he is going to produce. I believe 12 boards in under 15 minutes is a record of some kind.

objective
12-31-2015, 06:35 PM
how was Splitter 'slowly worked into the team'?

He was also treated like a novelty, though at least he got to really play when Duncan was out.

Getting 3 DNP-CDs the first three games against Memphis that year while Gasol and Randolph were getting 40 minutes a night was absurd and cost the spurs that series much more than the Manu injury. Mcdyess, Bonner & Blair played a total of about 195 minutes that series before Pop finally turned to an out of synch Splitter in desperation.

Not giving Boban opportunities in real games, including those in which the player in front of him, West, is struggling against size, is Pop signaling unconsciously to fans that Boban is just another fringe victory cigar like Bateer or Tom Copa. Except Boban is a real player who can help.

bigfan
12-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Pop is just trying to protect this guy from what he perceives as fans screwing with him. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. I'll trust his judgment, it's been pretty good so far. As for Boban, I am very glad he is a fan favorite. He isn't the second coming of The A Train but I like what I see so far. I always worry about the health of these super big guys but I'll assume he is getting great medical care and checkups and he has a right to earn a living for his family. Besides, he will be richer than most of us could ever imagine.

ceperez
12-31-2015, 07:01 PM
how was Splitter 'slowly worked into the team'?

He was also treated like a novelty, though at least he got to really play when Duncan was out.

Getting 3 DNP-CDs the first three games against Memphis that year while Gasol and Randolph were getting 40 minutes a night was absurd and cost the spurs that series much more than the Manu injury. Mcdyess, Bonner & Blair played a total of about 195 minutes that series before Pop finally turned to an out of synch Splitter in desperation.

Not giving Boban opportunities in real games, including those in which the player in front of him, West, is struggling against size, is Pop signaling unconsciously to fans that Boban is just another fringe victory cigar like Bateer or Tom Copa. Except Boban is a real player who can help.

Splitter in first season played 60 games at 12 minutes average. Boban has played 18 games at 7 minutes average.

If I recall correctly, Splitter barely played in the first half of the his first season.

So it's early in the season to proclaim that the Spurs aren't using Boban.

rasuo214
12-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Pop's just trying to control Bobanmania before it gets out of control.

Mr. Body
12-31-2015, 08:09 PM
Trying to keep his re-sign money low.

Darius McCrary
12-31-2015, 08:21 PM
Yao was seen the same way early on, tbh... Eventually he earned the respect and accolades...

This.

FkLA
12-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Some of y'all are clueless. Pop is great at reading people, he knows what he's talking about. A couple of us have also noticed the same thing. Next time Boban plays or is getting ready to check in look at the stands, he isn't getting oohs and awes because of his play he's getting a lot of laughs and finger pointing. Honestly, LMA kind of does the same thing if you pay attention. During his 3rd Qtr outburst against Minny LMA found it comical that he was dominating instead of simply being pumped for him like Timmy was for example.

Obviously not every single person is treating him like a circus act, especially people on ST who are informed and know he's good. But the casual fan is treating him like that imho.

Solid D
12-31-2015, 09:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4ZGmjtk.jpg

This photo that was circulated has been astounding the beat writers and fans the past couple of days.

FkLA
12-31-2015, 09:21 PM
It's also funny that now ST is acting so moral but when we first got him there was a shit load of people making fun of his ears/looks.

bic50
12-31-2015, 09:23 PM
It's also funny that now ST is acting so moral but when we first got him there was a shit load of people making fun of his ears/looks.

dabom
12-31-2015, 09:32 PM

I've never made fun of his looks. People are assholes.

UZER
12-31-2015, 10:08 PM

Oh no, not the ears!!

Stop being so damned sensitive. Lots of players around the league get made fun of. This guy IS a freak of nature literally and figuratively. Spurs fans love him and appreciate him for his size,his skill set, and the passion and desire he plays with to prove he belongs in this league. Pop is just micro managing per par.

I said it earlier, he's trying to cut the hype so he wont have to answer for not playing him in the playoffs because "these playoffs aren't for him" just like they weren't for George hill, or splitter when both of those guys could've help tremendously.

FkLA
12-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Oh no, not the ears!!

Stop being so damned sensitive. Lots of players around the league get made fun of. This guy IS a freak of nature literally and figuratively. Spurs fans love him and appreciate him for his size,his skill set, and the passion and desire he plays with to prove he belongs in this league. Pop is just micro managing per par.

I said it earlier, he's trying to cut the hype so he wont have to answer for not playing him in the playoffs because "these playoffs aren't for him" just like they weren't for George hill, or splitter when both of those guys could've help tremendously.

Pop is the most respected basketball coach in the world he doesn't give a shit what the fans/media think of his rotations. The notion that he needs a built in excuse to not play him is laughable. He's geniunely standing up for Boban. I'm not sensitive about it I'm just pointing out that Pop does have a point.

UZER
12-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Pop is the most respected basketball coach in the world he doesn't give a shit what the fans/media think of his rotations. The notion that he needs a built in excuse to not play him is laughable. He's geniunely standing up for Boban. I'm not sensitive about it I'm just pointing out that Pop does have a point.

Yeah, he gives so little a shit about what fans think that he came out and made a comment about poor Boban, who the fans have been cheering their ass off for.

FkLA
12-31-2015, 11:18 PM
Yeah, he gives so little a shit about what fans think that he came out and made a comment about it poor Boban.

Did you miss the part where I said about his rotations?

spurraider21
12-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Ironic comment coming from one of the moralists

apalisoc_9
12-31-2015, 11:29 PM

Yup. This is why i highly doubt people are just "genuinly" happy for him when he enters the game.

It was pretty disturbing seeing all the post here about how ugly boban is.

Chinook
12-31-2015, 11:34 PM
None of this changes the fact that's he has to toughen up. If he can be thrown off his game by his fans chanting MVP after he's been dominating the league in his limited minutes, what's he going to do when opposing fans jeer him? I get that he's sensitive about how much his acromegaly makes him stand out, but it's not going to change. He's always going to be huge, and that size makes him a better player. It also makes people notice him and want to watch him. But again, there are two other players in the league who are as tall as Boban, and they aren't getting the same genus of hype he's getting. The attention he's receiving is because of how awesome he's played. I don't get how the cheering can be construed as anything other than that.

Now things like Strauss said, I can definitely understand Boban being upset hearing. Constantly calling him a monster is taking it too far. Boban is just a man trying to live his life and raise his family. I have no issue with Pop cutting down that talk. The thing is, how far will it go? It will be interesting to hear if Pop's words affect the broadcasts. Will Bill stop referring to Boban as the Chimney of Kostola? Will he and Sean be doing PSAs about Marjanovic's sensitivity? Are Pop's comments a one-off or the start of a campaign?

FkLA
12-31-2015, 11:41 PM
None of this changes the fact that's he has to toughen up. If he can be thrown off his game by his fans chanting MVP after he's been dominating the league in his limited minutes, what's he going to do when opposing fans jeer him? I get that he's sensitive about how much his acromegaly makes him stand out, but it's not going to change. He's always going to be huge, and that size makes him a better player. It also makes people notice him and want to watch him. But again, there are two other players in the league who are as tall as Boban, and they aren't getting the same genus of hype he's getting. The attention he's receiving is because of how awesome he's played. I don't get how the cheering can be construed as anything other than that.

Now things like Strauss said, I can definitely understand Boban being upset hearing. Constantly calling him a monster is taking it too far. Boban is just a man trying to live his life and raise his family. I have no issue with Pop cutting down that talk. The thing is, how far will it go? It will be interesting to hear if Pop's words affect the broadcasts. Will be stop referring to Boban as the
Chimney of Kostola? Will he and Sean be doing PSA about Marjanovic's sensitivity? Are Pop's comments a one-off or the start of a campaign?

:lol I don't think it affects Boban he has plenty of experience playing in Europe which is more raucous, Pop is just standing up for his guy. He missed a FT but he had made like 10 in a row prior to that and made his next one--he was due for a miss.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2016, 02:16 AM
Yup. This is why i highly doubt people are just "genuinly" happy for him when he enters the game.

He's not the most handsome man in the world. Everyone does that when someone new comes in. Kyle Anderson got the same treatment. Boban's shown to be a remarkably good player, and he's captured the imagination of the fans. Nobody's rooting for him to get in the game because he's goofy looking, it's because he's genuinely talented and helps the team.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-01-2016, 03:18 AM

fuk yo doubts, clown.

AFMadison
01-01-2016, 04:11 AM
Who cares? Dude wouldn't trade in better ears for less money and an ugly chick, guarantee you that.

kuato
01-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Boban wants to be part of the team, not just a freak show to entertain some spurs fans

wildbill2u
01-01-2016, 11:42 AM

Not really true in the sense that Boban has only played at the end of blow-outs. Pop gave him some valuable minutes in the first half of the game the other night and he played well. Then Pop put him back in at the end of the game.

If he continues to fill up the stat sheet and gives 100% effort, Pop has the reputation of rewarding successful play with minutes and I think he will play himself into the rotation.

8FOR!3
01-01-2016, 11:48 AM
It's the Yao factor. People expect someone well over 7 feet to be clumsy like Shawn Bradley. So when you've got guys like Porzingis who is 7'2 and doesn't move like he's 7'2 and guys like Boban who plays like a skilled 7 footer it's extremely intriguing to the fans. And it's not like we're making fun of a dumb plotting giant wondering around, this guy has legitimate skills and I think it shocks people to see him do a turnout hook more than a few feet from the basket and knock it down like it's no thing. That kind of move would make you think he's not a power player and more finesse like Splitter, until you see him dunk.

I don't think people are saying MVP bc he's a freak show, I think they're genuinely shocked at how dominating he looks against other pro athletes.

littlecoyotecoin
01-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Good thing the world is so black and white. I was thinking that I could both be genuinely happy for the guy, realize he seems to be a heck of a nice guy, a skilled player, and still recognize his ears and his hands are cartoonishly large. Obviously I've watched the barbershop scene in Gran Torino too many times, and thought people could genuinely like each other and still make fun of each other. Thanks for letting me know that those two things are mutually exclusive. Get off my lawn.

Atl Spur
01-01-2016, 05:02 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Kawhiian-Island-1435164310117755/?ref=hl

Russ
01-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Pop is just trying to protect this guy from what he perceives as fans screwing with him.

Actually, part of what makes Pop the guy we all love is this -- Pop reacts to what he can't completely orchestrate.

DMC
01-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Coaches the most boring team in the league

Refuses to answer any question without being an overbearing prick about it

Talks about "getting over yourself"

Complains when the crowd cheers for a player because of the context

Doesn't mind that anyone chants "MVP" for Tony Parker

Must think crowds are byproducts of NBA games.

Pop trying to build a center to trade.

MaineSpursFan
01-01-2016, 07:27 PM
I love the guy, he was the pickup that I was most looking forward to in the off season, I'm thrilled that we have him, and I'm impressed with his play. Sloppy at first, but he's starting to get acclimated to the NBA. Lookout second string centers, Boban's coming for you.

Solid D
01-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Boban is a vast improvement over Ayers and he has shown better results than Baynes, so far. He adds that shot-changing dimension and I imagine he is a bit more intimidating. It will be interesting to see how he does against someone like Steven Adams.

tonight...you
01-01-2016, 09:10 PM
I love the guy, he was the pickup that I was most looking forward to in the off season, I'm thrilled that we have him, and I'm impressed with his play. Sloppy at first, but he's starting to get acclimated to the NBA. Lookout second string centers, Boban's coming for you.
I'm especially glad he's not dropping the ball below his waist as much, allowing it to be easily stripped.
He's adjusting and every game has been a benefit when he's on the floor. Perfect member of the team: create mismatches and takes up RS minutes as he get acclimated to the NBA game without hurting the team.

I hope they can keep him.

tonight...you
01-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Boban is a vast improvement over Ayers and he has shown better results than Baynes, so far. He adds that shot-changing dimension and I imagine he is a bit more intimidating. It will be interesting to see how he does against someone like Steven Adams.
My God, I already forgot about that Ayertrocity. Boban is 10 times that guy times another 10.
I would very much look forward to a Bobi/Adams matchup for a good, solid portion of a game. See how something like that goes...

This team is deeper than last year's team, for sure.
Funny that people were worried about depth after this offseason.

Solid D
01-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Yeah, actually, Kanter is a greater scoring threat than Adams but much worse defensively. So, I'd also like to see how Kanter fares with Bobi defending him.

PublicOption
01-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Dude can ball. He just doesn't want him to draw any attention......c'mon pop.. .we know thee too well.

TrainOfThought5
01-01-2016, 11:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4ZGmjtk.jpg

This photo that was circulated has been astounding the beat writers and fans the past couple of days.

How could it not?!?!? Im astounded.... truly stupified when i see that pic. Its fucking insane.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-02-2016, 12:09 AM
How could it not?!?!? Im astounded.... truly stupified when i see that pic. Its fucking insane.

Nigga's hand could pop Monaco's head like a grape :lmao

Solid D
01-02-2016, 12:28 AM
Watch his shooting form on the close-ups of FTs sometime. His fingers almost tap himself on his forearm after he releases his shot.

TheGreatYacht
01-02-2016, 12:38 AM
This Bulls kid Bobby Portis is getting tons of mainstream and social media hype right now. He's a rookie who's playing his ass off in limited minutes... Does that mean people are viewing him as a circus freak? No.

Same goes for Hassan Whiteside last year. He came from overseas and took the NBA by storm, 2K even got behind him. Does that make him a circus freak? No.

Coach Poop with the bads tbh. Silly of him to diss Boban low key

Chinook
01-02-2016, 11:10 PM
I don't think this game was anything to worry about. I'm bumping this more for predictions than reactions. It will be interesting to see if Boban's game drops off in light of these comments. I don't think he did anything bad tonight. He missed shots he's expected to miss and made a nice pass to Simmons. But we'll see.

TheGreatYacht
01-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Didn't really look like his monster self against Dwight in the 4th Q. Still think this was a rarity though

MultiTroll
01-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Why should people have even and especially now taken BonBon seriously?

Had a few seasons where his reg season treys helped.
Beyond that he is a stealer of a deserving NBA roster spot big time.
Starter on a playoff team? :lmao Pop and Bonbon can go f themselves for that one.

Boban is a completely different case.

theman21
01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Pop is treating Boban like the human cigar (only to be used once the victory is sealed)...I think Pop is the one creating this negative stereotype of the circus freak. (I.e. Now that the game is over here's some entertainment)

People get excited when they see Boban play because he's the real deal...we all just want to be some giant that can man handle and slam over smaller people like we're adults playing toddlers. Most players in the past at his size were either lanky and poor sense of balance or too slow...Boban seems to have enough quickness to make it exciting, has really good court vision and passing ability, and can score.

Pop needs to find a way to work Boban into lineups when regular lineups cease to be productive, because we know Pop won't work him into the regular rotation just yet.

MultiTroll
01-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Pop is treating Boban like the human cigar (only to be used once the victory is sealed)...I think Pop is the one creating this negative stereotype of the circus freak. (I.e. Now that the game is over here's some entertainment)

People get excited when they see Boban play because he's the real deal...we all just want to be some giant that can man handle and slam over smaller people like we're adults playing toddlers. Most players in the past at his size were either lanky and poor sense of balance or too slow...Boban seems to have enough quickness to make it exciting, has really good court vision and passing ability, and can score.

Pop needs to find a way to work Boban into lineups when regular lineups cease to be productive, because we know Pop won't work him into the regular rotation just yet.
This.
Is he being prepared for the playoffs or is Pop...
Jealous?

Wish someone here or at Pounding the Cock could get some real 411 on why 3 minutes of cigar time.

Capt Bringdown
01-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Pop had no problem playing circus freak Blair. Come on Pop, let your hair down and wash out your knickers.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2016, 11:44 PM
I love Pop, but I guarantee that if he completely sucked as a basketball player that far fewer fans would be cheering when he gets on the court. There's certainly a talent factor combined with the physical awe he inspires that creates the fan chatter.

I imagine Pop made the comment to simply be PC, as others have alluded to.