PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift Preorders begin January 6th

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 02:45 PM
:wow

THIS is the next generation of gaming, folks.

https://www1.oculus.com/blog/oculus-rift-pre-orders-to-open-on-january-6/

My only dilemma is to buy this or the Vive. Decisions, decisions.

baseline bum
01-04-2016, 05:52 PM
So what's this thing going to cost? Would this be good for watching BangBros?

baseline bum
01-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Looks like a waste to buy this early. The only game I'm interested in that has support is Half Life 2, and the only games I'm interested that have planned support are Dying Light and Star Citizen. And then Star Citizen is still probably at least a year away. I think I'll pass on this until there is some better game support.

Reck
01-04-2016, 07:57 PM
So what's this thing going to cost? Would this be good for watching BangBros?

Naughty America got their feet wet with this. If it's compatible I might buy it but it also depends on how much it is.

Anything over 100 bucks is lol.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Naughty America got their feet wet with this. If it's compatible I might buy it but it also depends on how much it is.

a conosole control is already around 50-60bucks man, wouldnt be surprise if the oculus +100

oculus + fake ass vagina toy that stimulates per action? $$$

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 08:38 PM

The fuck are you talking about?

This is a headset that has two OLED monitors with 90hz refresh rate and 1080×1200 resolution, real time 3D headphones, and full head tracking with the capability to also track hand movements and translate it into game.

The amount of technology that goes into this headset is staggering. $100 won't even touch it.

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 08:38 PM
a conosole control is already around 50-60bucks man, wouldnt be surprise if the oculus +100

oculus + fake ass vagina toy that stimulates per action? $$$

The Oculus is probably going to be anywhere from $299-$350.

baseline bum
01-04-2016, 08:50 PM
It looks bulky; I wonder how heavy it is. How long can you wear it without hurting your neck? And is it so much stimulation that you could only play it for 15 minutes at a time? It looks really interesting, but I don't think I'm going to be an early adopter.

Reck
01-04-2016, 09:24 PM
This looks great on paper and it will be a good experience for like a month or two. Then the novelty will wear off.

Theres no way this thing doesn't give you vertigo or some sort of bs like that.

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 09:32 PM
It looks bulky; I wonder how heavy it is. How long can you wear it without hurting your neck? And is it so much stimulation that you could only play it for 15 minutes at a time? It looks really interesting, but I don't think I'm going to be an early adopter.

I have a friend who develops games on it. She says it's absolutely amazing. She actually really likes Samsung's GEAR VR as well.

The Rift weighs less than a pound. You can wear it for hours with no problems.

This looks great on paper and it will be a good experience for like a month or two. Then the novelty will wear off.

Yeah man, same thing with TV. People will get bored of it and go back to radio. :lol

Theres no way this thing doesn't give you vertigo or some sort of bs like that.

Unless... you know... it doesn't.

Reck
01-04-2016, 09:40 PM
I have a friend who develops games on it. She says it's absolutely amazing. She actually really likes Samsung's GEAR VR as well.

Yeah man, same thing with TV. People will get bored of it and go back to radio. :lol

Unless... you know... it doesn't.

LOL comparing something you have to put on to watching a TV 30 feet away. :lol

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 10:17 PM
LOL comparing something you have to put on to watching a TV 30 feet away. :lol

LOL passing summary judgments with no knowledge of the product and without having tried it yourself. Hurr durr a 90hz HD motion tracking dual screen should cost $100. :lmao

Reck
01-04-2016, 10:24 PM
LOL passing summary judgments with no knowledge of the product and without having tried it yourself. Hurr durr a 90hz HD motion tracking dual screen should cost $100. :lmao

Why are you always so defensive about shit? :lol

This will fail as many other gaming gimmicks have.

Wii sensor controller failed. Kinect failed, PS3 move failed...etc..

baseline bum
01-04-2016, 10:41 PM

That would be impressive. It looks way heavier than a pound.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2016, 10:42 PM
imagine this without needing some form of console....

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 11:12 PM

Having a low tolerance for idiotic statements does not make me defensive. It just means I'm calling you out on your bullshit.

Reck
01-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Having a low tolerance for idiotic statements does not make me defensive. It just means I'm calling you out on your bullshit.

You're an over sensitive faggot.

How's that?

We'll see in a couple of years how this terms out.

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 11:49 PM
You're an over sensitive faggot.

How's that?

We'll see in a couple of years how this terms out.

lol

Calls me defensive

Gets real mad

lol

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 11:51 PM
:cry how dare you insult my opinion that has no basis in fact or reality :cry

It's okay dude. When the Rift sells out for months and months, I'll be sure to bump your hilarious takes in this thread. :tu

Reck
01-04-2016, 11:55 PM
Must be why you double posted. :cry my bleeding vagina is always right.

:lol master cuck
:lol cry faggot
:lol cant take critisism
:lol defensive girl

Cry Havoc
01-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Must be why you double posted. :cry my bleeding vagina is always right.

:lol master cuck
:lol cry faggot
:lol cant take critisism
:lol defensive girl

You're real mad dude. I'm just laughing at how much of an idiot you are.

You should use the word faggot some more though, I hear it's really edgy here on Spurstalk.

Reck
01-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Back to my earlier posts..

http://kotaku.com/i-played-the-oculus-rift-for-five-hours-straight-987568701

Granted, this link is quite old but the main concerns still remains.

You don't have to play it or be a genius to know that blurriness and motion sickness will be the key ingredients here.

Prop it up as much as you want. Still won't solve these issues.

NASpurs
01-05-2016, 12:55 AM
This will look great next to my 3D TV. :lol

Nah just fucking around, I think VR has some legs in it to be the next big thing. Seems like the technology is catching up to the general VR idea that has been more science fiction than anything else. As long as both the tech and developers keep making progress, it should be huge and prosper.

leemajors
01-05-2016, 09:37 AM

the wii sensor was not a failure at all, that thing sold like hotcakes all over. oculus looks neat but until it gets quake 2 support i am waiting :lol

Cry Havoc
01-05-2016, 02:43 PM
the wii sensor was not a failure at all, that thing sold like hotcakes all over. oculus looks neat but until it gets quake 2 support i am waiting :lol

:lol the wii literally saved nintendo from bankruptcy. They won the console war that year. Not bad for a failure.

hater
01-05-2016, 03:30 PM
:lmao nerd fight

leemajors
01-06-2016, 12:09 PM
$600?!?!?!

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 12:24 PM
$600?!?!?!

Damn I was hoping for $250 like was rumored a few months ago. Though I probably still wouldn't buy one yet at $250 since there are so few games supporting it right now.

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Brutal. Somewhat unsurprising though, new tech is always ridiculously priced.

And even with the $600 price tag they've already sold at least 120,000 of them. Probably closer to 200k and the ordering page is still swamped.

hater
01-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Lol

They should stick an apple logo on it and millions of idiots will buy that shit :lol

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Lol

They should stick an apple logo on it and millions of idiots will buy that shit :lol

That's actually a pretty good way to look at it. Lots of computer monitors out there are $600+. This is one you wear that tracks your movement with full 3D vision.

$600 is also less than some flagship smartphones.

It's a huge chunk of change, but I'm definitely pulling the trigger on either this or the Vive. Making decent money now, so carpe diem!

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 03:39 PM
That's actually a pretty good way to look at it. Lots of computer monitors out there are $600+. This is one you wear that tracks your movement with full 3D vision.

$600 is also less than some flagship smartphones.

It's a huge chunk of change, but I'm definitely pulling the trigger on either this or the Vive. Making decent money now, so carpe diem!

Better buy a Fury X too unless you want to be playing Dying Light at low or maybe medium.

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Better buy a Fury X too unless you want to be playing Dying Light at low or maybe medium.

My PC can run Dying Light on ultra at 85+ fps. I don't think I'll have problems for a while.

Planning on building a new PC sometime late this year/early next, anyway.

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 04:27 PM
My PC can run Dying Light on ultra at 85+ fps. I don't think I'll have problems for a while.

Planning on building a new PC sometime late this year/early next, anyway.

On the Rift you're not going to want your framerate to ever drop below 90 even for a second though, right? Averaging 85 and getting minimum 85 are two completely different ballgames. And the resolution is 25% higher on the Rift.

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 05:10 PM
On the Rift you're not going to want your framerate to ever drop below 90 even for a second though, right? Averaging 85 and getting minimum 85 are two completely different ballgames. And the resolution is 25% higher on the Rift.

The Rift supports two modes, 75hz and 90hz. I doubt I have many instances where my frame rate will drop below 75. I could also turn off some settings to boost that.

Will definitely be a wait and see game, though. Perhaps my current rig won't be enough, but that's sort of expected considering everything in it except the $250 video card will be turning 5 years old this month.

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 05:24 PM
The Rift supports two modes, 75hz and 90hz. I doubt I have many instances where my frame rate will drop below 75. I could also turn off some settings to boost that.

Will definitely be a wait and see game, though. Perhaps my current rig won't be enough, but that's sort of expected considering everything in it except the $250 video card will be turning 5 years old this month.

How are you achieving that maxed out? I have never seen any benchmarks indicating you can get that kind of performance on a 290x with everything maxed out. Even without HBAO+ on this guy is dropping into the 60s and even 50s all the time on both a 390 and a 970 with an overclocked 3570k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcpYG-2rZh0

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 05:34 PM
How are you achieving that maxed out? I have never seen any benchmarks indicating you can get that kind of performance on a 290x with everything maxed out. Even without HBAO+ on this guy is dropping into the 60s and even 50s all the time on both a 390 and a 970 with an overclocked 3570k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcpYG-2rZh0

That seemed a little weird at first, but he has AA turned on. That's a pretty big hit to graphics in DL if I recall. If I turned AA on I'm betting I'd see numbers in the 50s and 60s as well.

http://kotaku.com/dying-light-benchmarked-graphics-and-cpu-performance-1682948936

This shows an average of 74 fps with a 290x, and that's a year ago, I'm betting with driver/game improvements it's a little better than that these days. They have HBAO off but AA on in this instance. Also my 290x is the tri-x edition, so it's a little faster than most 290xs, not sure how it compares to a 390.

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
That seemed a little weird at first, but he has AA turned on. That's a pretty big hit to graphics in DL if I recall. If I turned AA on I'm betting I'd see numbers in the 50s and 60s as well.

http://kotaku.com/dying-light-benchmarked-graphics-and-cpu-performance-1682948936

This shows an average of 74 fps with a 290x, and that's a year ago, I'm betting with driver/game improvements it's a little better than that these days. They have HBAO off but AA on in this instance. Also my 290x is the tri-x edition, so it's a little faster than most 290xs, not sure how it compares to a 390.

On my 970 AA is pretty much free on Dying Light, which leads me to suspect it's FXAA since MSAA will always make a noticeable dent in performance.

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
On my 970 AA is pretty much free on Dying Light, which leads me to suspect it's FXAA since MSAA will always make a noticeable dent in performance.

Looks like HBAO is the real performance hit.

Well, we'll see. My system is 5 years old though, so worst case it can't handle the Rift/Vive. I won't be exactly heartbroken to build new gaming rig soon. :lol :hat

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Looks like HBAO is the real performance hit.

Well, we'll see. My system is 5 years old though, so worst case it can't handle the Rift/Vive. I won't be exactly heartbroken to build new gaming rig soon. :lol :hat

You should hold out for the summer and the 16 nm gpus, as well as the Broadwell-E 5960x equivalent that's supposed to sell for $550 instead of the $1000 the 5960x costs.

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 06:50 PM
You should hold out for the summer and the 16 nm gpus, as well as the Broadwell-E 5960x equivalent that's supposed to sell for $550 instead of the $1000 the 5960x costs.

Oh absolutely. I won't even have a VR kit until May at the earliest. It's gonna be a while.

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2016, 07:09 PM
why is it people cant accept shitty fps on a pc, but accept that on a console? even when its the same game title but the overall gaming experience will be different

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 07:44 PM
why is it people cant accept shitty fps on a pc, but accept that on a console? even when its the same game title but the overall gaming experience will be different

They shouldn't, but if you have a console you don't have any other options. There's no way to upgrade a Ps4. So you deal with it.

Also, most console owners have never really experienced consistent v-synced 60 fps, so they don't really know what they're missing.

ElNono
01-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Can't wait for the 30 fps Apple VRidiculous, probably gonna cost $1200 but will be super thin and have Siri built in...

Death In June
01-06-2016, 07:57 PM
I'll wait to see which VR system is better supported / works the best, but at this point, I'd be willing to drop the $600 they're asking for. I feel like the rift and the hc vive will end up being two of the better options.

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Can't wait for the 30 fps Apple VRidiculous, probably gonna cost $1200 but will be super thin and have Siri built in...

Cinematic VR is the wave of the future, though Poorstation VR will probably be the first to market.

ElNono
01-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Cinematic VR is the wave of the future, though Poorstation VR will probably be the first to market.

I'll see if I can get Sony to send me one, tbh...

Cry Havoc
01-06-2016, 10:07 PM

:tu It really is. There's almost no doubt, everyone who has tried an Oculus or a Vive has come away with their mind blown.

I'm going to set aside about $1k for a PC this year, probably around black friday, and buy a Vive/Rift sometime in the Summer/Fall. Maybe their prices will drop a bit.

baseline bum
01-06-2016, 10:15 PM
:tu It really is. There's almost no doubt, everyone who has tried an Oculus or a Vive has come away with their mind blown.

I'm going to set aside about $1k for a PC this year, probably around black friday, and buy a Vive/Rift sometime in the Summer/Fall. Maybe their prices will drop a bit.

LOL I meant cinematic in the Ubisoft sense tbh

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2016, 10:56 PM
u willing to pay 1200 for oculus?

thats already good enough to put together a good gaming rig

Cry Havoc
01-07-2016, 01:55 AM
u willing to pay 1200 for oculus?

thats already good enough to put together a good gaming rig

The hell are you talking about? Oculus is $600, and will probably drop in price.

DJR210
01-07-2016, 08:42 AM
The Oculus is probably going to be anywhere from $299-$350.

Even that's cheap. If it was more I'd still be interested, this isn't a device for casuals, even though it seems they're gonna be able to price it for them.

Reck
01-07-2016, 07:50 PM
A lot of first misteps up in this bitch.

1.Ridiculous price tag
2.Requires for a top of the line computer 1000 give or take.
3.The First version of the Oculus Rift is said to have a lifespan of that of a smartphone. Which means, a year top.

:lol

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10723982/oculus-rift-price-no-longer-for-everyone
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2016/01/07/the-first-generation-oculus-rift-will-have-a-lifespan-closer-to-a-mobile-phone/

DJR210
01-07-2016, 09:48 PM
It's not a mistep IMO, it's a high end piece of tech. Broke peasants need not worry about playing VR games on high end PC's anyway, it's like a black family complaining that the Ferrari is priced at 200k in my most humble of opinions.

Reck
01-07-2016, 09:59 PM
It's not a mistep IMO, it's a high end piece of tech. Broke peasants need not worry about playing VR games on high end PC's anyway, it's like a black family complaining that the Ferrari is priced at 200k in my most humble of opinions.

Imo, it is because you're asking people to jump in blind not knowing what this will end up as.

I dont care if you're filthy rich. 600 is a lot of money to spend on a gadget that might or might not live up to expectations.

And if what you say is true about us peasants not needing to worry about playing no vr games. Then why are they marketing this as if everyone should pick one up?

DJR210
01-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Then why are they marketing this as if everyone should pick one up?

Well why wouldn't you market it that way?

Reck
01-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Well why wouldn't you market it that way?

Professionalism?

Also, when has lying about your product ever end it up good for you? It's a disaster waiting to happen.

baseline bum
01-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Professionalism?

Also, when has lying about your product ever end it up good for you? It's a disaster waiting to happen.

It honestly looks pretty badass. They have been upfront for a year now that you need a high end system to run it. It's 25% higher resolution than 1080p and needs to run at 90 frames per second, so of course it needs much better hardware than a Poorstation 4.

Reck
01-07-2016, 11:45 PM
It honestly looks pretty badass. They have been upfront for a year now that you need a high end system to run it. It's 25% higher resolution than 1080p and needs to run at 90 frames per second, so of course it needs much better hardware than a Poorstation 4.

I'm interested in seeing what the Playstation VR is all about. Still won't buy it but I'm more incline to buy a VR gadget that actually is meant for games full time.

Also this being one of my all time favorite game, it would be cool playing it with it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zuBSUJfpBk

DJR210
01-08-2016, 12:43 AM
Professionalism?

What am I missing? What was lied about?

Reck
01-08-2016, 01:06 AM
What am I missing? What was lied about?

You said why wouldn't they market this for everyone when clearly it isn't.

This is a niche product.

DJR210
01-08-2016, 02:37 AM
I agree, was just commenting on the fact that marketing to a broader audience would be smart cause while not cheap, the shit is not impossible to get

Cry Havoc
01-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Imo, it is because you're asking people to jump in blind not knowing what this will end up as.

I dont care if you're filthy rich. 600 is a lot of money to spend on a gadget that might or might not live up to expectations.

And if what you say is true about us peasants not needing to worry about playing no vr games. Then why are they marketing this as if everyone should pick one up?

:lmao $600 is fucking chump change, dude. I could drop that on a gadget without blinking, and have.

Cry Havoc
01-08-2016, 12:02 PM
You said why wouldn't they market this for everyone when clearly it isn't.

This is a niche product.

I guess DVD & Blu Ray players are niche products, since they were $1k+ when they came to market.

Reck
01-08-2016, 06:43 PM
:lmao $600 is fucking chump change, dude. I could drop that on a gadget without blinking, and have.

STFU. No it's not.

You spend it because you're a tool. You're the type of dude that spends days and then an extra day on a line that runs 5 blocks just so you can buy your precious iPhone.

This guy made this video for you..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xj3Y_JTFUg

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2016, 07:53 PM
600bucks in america, down here at fx rates...around 857 + 100-200 premium pricing = 1000-1100 for horseshit like premium pricing on apple bullshit

aint dropping 600bucks on this pos

i learnt my lesson from burning 1k on a video card, so i stop....but my next gaming rig i be going 4k screen gaming setup...then buying this pos oculus...

Cry Havoc
01-08-2016, 07:55 PM
STFU. No it's not.

:lmao

How old are you, kid? I know that $600 might seem like an unfathomable amount of money to you, but it doesn't even phase me to spend. I spend it because I have it and it won't even put a small dent in my savings. :lol And I'm by no means a wealthy individual. Someone who's rich spends that on silk ties in a month or a pair of shoes. :lol You seriously sound like a teenager who's working overnights at the Piggly Wiggly for $7/hr.

You're the type of dude that spends days and then an extra day on a line that runs 5 blocks just so you can buy your precious iPhone.

I spend days and then an extra day? Do you want to try speaking English again? :lol

We get it. You're mad. It's okay. Some of us can afford nice things. No reason to be so upset about it.

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2016, 08:02 PM
so what happens if you happen to have shitty eye vision who wears glasses....do you wear this on top of your glasses?

Cry Havoc
01-08-2016, 08:02 PM
600bucks in america, down here at fx rates...around 857 + 100-200 premium pricing = 1000-1100 for horseshit like premium pricing on apple bullshit

aint dropping 600bucks on this pos

i learnt my lesson from burning 1k on a video card, so i stop....but my next gaming rig i be going 4k screen gaming setup...then buying this pos oculus...

4k monitors aren't cheap either, last I checked. Why is it crazy that the Rift is $600 but some monitors are easily $1k or more?

Reck
01-08-2016, 08:07 PM
:lmao

How old are you, kid? I know that $600 might seem like an unfathomable amount of money to you, but it doesn't even phase me to spend. I spend it because I have it and it won't even put a small dent in my savings. :lol And I'm by no means a wealthy individual. Someone who's rich spends that on silk ties in a month or a pair of shoes. :lol You seriously sound like a teenager who's working overnights at the Piggly Wiggly for $7/hr.

I spend days and then an extra day? Do you want to try speaking English again? :lol

We get it. You're mad. It's okay. Some of us can afford nice things. No reason to be so upset about it.

Why is it that when people have no arguement they try the the how old are you shtick.

Maybe for someone with no responsibilities and someone who lives with their mom's at her basement doesn't have to worry about spending almost a thousand dollars on some piece of shit unproven equipment.

I could tell you dont have big enough responsibilities in your life to call 600 chump change.

Get a place of your own in one of the most expensive cities IN THE WORLD and then tell me if you would call any money that you may have chump change.

I mean, its not like you're a millionaire either. Then I could see it but you're just a random internet guy boasting superiority.

Apparently you dont know the difference between being mad and being realistic. :lol

Cry Havoc
01-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Why is it that when people have no arguement they try the the how old are you shtick.

... maybe it's because you have a habit of sounding like a broke college kid with no concept of actual money?

I mean, the ignorance in that statement is just astounding. People throw not $600, not $6,000, but 60,000 bucks away not at a casino, not at a poker game, not on a poker hand, but on a single fucking bet. And don't even blink. It's pretty clear you don't know a single person who actually has money. There was an article about NBA players betting $20k per hole of golf. But yeah, $600 is a lot. :lol

Maybe for someone with no responsibilities and someone who lives with their mom's at her basement doesn't have to worry about spending almost a thousand dollars on some piece of shit unproven equipment.

I could tell you dont have big enough responsibilities in your life to call 600 chump change.

Or maybe I don't make minimum wage for a living?

Get a place of your own in one of the most expensive cities IN THE WORLD and then tell me if you would call any money that you may have chump change.

:lol I've been living in one of the most expensive places to live in IN THE WORLD for 4 years now. I don't know how much more clearly I can make this out to you. $600 is fucking nothing to me and I'm not even upper class. I know people with water bills that are $600 a month.

Reck
01-08-2016, 09:03 PM
... maybe it's because you have a habit of sounding like a broke college kid with no concept of actual money?

I mean, the ignorance in that statement is just astounding. People throw not $600, not $6,000, but 60,000 bucks away not at a casino, not at a poker game, not on a poker hand, but on a single fucking bet. And don't even blink. It's pretty clear you don't know a single person who actually has money. There was an article about NBA players betting $20k per hole of golf. But yeah, $600 is a lot. :lol

Or maybe I don't make minimum wage for a living?

:lol I've been living in one of the most expensive places to live in IN THE WORLD for 4 years now. I don't know how much more clearly I can make this out to you. $600 is fucking nothing to me and I'm not even upper class. I know people with water bills that are $600 a month.

You're so homo with all these breakdowns of posts. Look at you taking all that time when all you needed to do was do a normal post intead of essays and explanations.

College is behind me buddy. Done and over.

All that wasted effort and you didn't get one thing right. :lol

I make money even when I'm at home doing nothing.

The need that you have to tell me that you spend this much and that much tells me all I need to know about your pretentious broke ass.

You're living off of your parents so of course that shit dont mean shit to you. It ain't your money.

vander
01-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Reck you need to chill out man. whether it's beanie babies, brand new cars, stocks from Madoff, or the next big tech thing, there will always be something for fools to throw money at, and they must throw their money at it, because otherwise they would keep that money.

Reck
01-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Reck you need to chill out man. whether it's beanie babies, brand new cars, stocks from Madoff, or the next big tech thing, there will always be something for fools to throw money at, and they must throw their money at it, because otherwise they would keep that money.

I agree. And I have no problem with that, is your money.

But dont be a faggot and say oh 600 ain't nothing. On top of the expenditure that building a new rig would cost. That puts you easily in the 1500+ mark. And that ain't no small amount of money.

That's all I'm saying.

TDMVPDPOY
01-11-2016, 02:52 AM
been watching some reviews of this head set, especially from samsung, is that a phone attached to the headset?

anyway...how come all the reviews on youtube especially ones with porn VR, are chinese gooks?

baseline bum
01-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Damn, Gamers Nexus shitting all over VR after trying both the Rift and the Vive at CES :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dD0uV_WHvg

baseline bum
01-18-2016, 05:22 PM

$1000 isn't going to be enough to run this well. For 90 fps you're going to want a $400 unlocked i7 and a GPU much better than a Titan X. I'm guessing the Polaris or Pascal GPU in that class will be around $700, maybe $600 at best. Then $120 or so minimum for the Z series board. $80 for 16GB of DDR4. $70 for a decent power supply. $0 for KMSpico Windows 10.

Cry Havoc
01-18-2016, 05:34 PM
$1000 isn't going to be enough to run this well. For 90 fps you're going to want a $400 unlocked i7 and a GPU much better than a Titan X. I'm guessing the Polaris or Pascal GPU in that class will be around $700, maybe $600 at best. Then $120 or so minimum for the Z series board. $80 for 16GB of DDR4. $70 for a decent power supply. $0 for KMSpico Windows 10.

Eh, depends. If you need to build a system now, probably. I plan to wait until the next line of GPU architecture, which should be much more powerful with all-new architecture.

baseline bum
01-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Eh, depends. If you need to build a system now, probably. I plan to wait until the next line of GPU architecture, which should be much more powerful with all-new architecture.

I mean with the next line. The Titan X alone isn't going to be enough for Star Citizen at 25% higher than 1080p and a completely locked 90 fps. I think we might end up getting near Titan X level performance for $300-$400 out of this next generation thanks to the die shrink, and I think we'll get something that crushes the Titan X out of it too. But it'll still probably have to be a big die chip, a Titan/Fury level equivalent. Nvidia will probably charge $1000 for it and call it their new Titan, as I doubt they release another 80Ti for a few months until their big die yields start becoming good enough. So it's really going to be about how much of a discount AMD is going to be willing to give on their big die chip to undercut the next Titan.

Cry Havoc
01-18-2016, 05:56 PM
I mean with the next line. The Titan X alone isn't going to be enough for Star Citizen at 25% higher than 1080p and a completely locked 90 fps. I think we might end up getting near Titan X level performance for $300-$400 out of this next generation thanks to the die shrink, and I think we'll get something that crushes the Titan X out of it too. But it'll still probably have to be a big die chip, a Titan/Fury level equivalent. Nvidia will probably charge $1000 for it and call it their new Titan, as I doubt they release another 80Ti for a few months until their big die yields start becoming good enough. So it's really going to be about how much of a discount AMD is going to be willing to give on their big die chip to undercut the next Titan.

I guess we'll see. :lol You can definitely buy a $1k system with a $400 gpu though. So there's that.

baseline bum
01-18-2016, 06:02 PM
I guess we'll see. :lol You can definitely buy a $1k system with a $400 gpu though. So there's that.

But that $400 GPU isn't going to be enough, as the Titan X already isn't enough for Star Citizen at 1080p to get a locked 90 fps, much less that same framerate locked at a 25% higher resolution. And I'd be floored to see a $400 gpu that's say a 10% increase over a Titan X. I'm expecting this next generation to have a $300-$450 card that's maybe 90-95% of a Titan X given the response the GTX 970 caused in 2014 by being about 90-95% of a GTX 780 Ti.

leemajors
02-23-2016, 01:35 PM
lol HTC, $800 for Vive?

Cry Havoc
02-23-2016, 01:40 PM
lol HTC, $800 for Vive?

It comes with the controllers, and support for a room so you can walk around in VR instead of having to stay in the reach of your computer. Pretty impressive, actually.

I'll probably pick up a Vive down the road, unless Oculus wins the software battle.

leemajors
02-23-2016, 01:45 PM
It comes with the controllers, and support for a room so you can walk around in VR instead of having to stay in the reach of your computer. Pretty impressive, actually.

I'll probably pick up a Vive down the road, unless Oculus wins the software battle.

HTC better hope they win, if they want to stick around much longer.

koriwhat
02-23-2016, 02:24 PM
tried the cheaper model out over the weekend and it was amazing!

baseline bum
02-23-2016, 02:29 PM

I don't think the Vive has any shot whatsoever of surviving. You either need someone to feed the cable for you the entire time so you don't trip on it or you need a $3000+ plus laptop strapped to your back. And you need an almost completely empty room. This is the niche product of niche products. Occulus has a much better chance of success.

Cry Havoc
02-23-2016, 02:45 PM
I don't think the Vive has any shot whatsoever of surviving. You either need someone to feed the cable for you the entire time so you don't trip on it or you need a $3000+ plus laptop strapped to your back. And you need an almost completely empty room. This is the niche product of niche products. Occulus has a much better chance of success.

You don't HAVE to play with it like that, though. You can use it just like an Oculus. Both products are already niche. They're for very hardcore techies and gamers. The overlap is likely very large between the two. No one who isn't steeped in the field is considering buying.

baseline bum
02-23-2016, 03:54 PM
You don't HAVE to play with it like that, though. You can use it just like an Oculus. Both products are already niche. They're for very hardcore techies and gamers. The overlap is likely very large between the two. No one who isn't steeped in the field is considering buying.

Why wouldn't people just buy the cheaper Rift then? The Vive is certainly the more interesting of the two, but I don't see it really taking off until you have the power of a GTX 980 in a phone so that it's not so awkward to use. If VR remains a niche product both of these die I think.

baseline bum
02-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Holy shit, Ark Survival Evolved is going to be on Playstation VR? How the hell is that going to work? You can't pull 60 fps at 1080p, much less 90 fps, with a fucking $650 GTX 980 Ti. The game that's pulling 9-15 fps lots of the time on XBox One?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8efFCoxzmI

They can't lower resolution, it's already below 720p. :lmao

Cry Havoc
02-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Why wouldn't people just buy the cheaper Rift then? The Vive is certainly the more interesting of the two, but I don't see it really taking off until you have the power of a GTX 980 in a phone so that it's not so awkward to use. If VR remains a niche product both of these die I think.

Well, as it stands the Vive is the more complete experience, since you get room detection AND controllers.

baseline bum
03-15-2016, 10:39 PM
PoorStation VR will be $399, comes out in October. Maybe you'll be able to play Minecraft at 90 fps on that shitty hardware.

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/15/playstation-vr-to-sell-for-399-go-on-sale-in-october/

leemajors
03-16-2016, 10:08 AM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/vertigo-lives-oculus-rift-preview-event-suffers-from-vr-tracking-woes/#p3

Reck
03-16-2016, 10:22 AM
PoorStation VR will be $399, comes out in October. Maybe you'll be able to play Minecraft at 90 fps on that shitty hardware.

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/15/playstation-vr-to-sell-for-399-go-on-sale-in-october/

Fail.

Costs as much as the console itself? VR can go fuck itself.

Cry Havoc
03-17-2016, 02:04 PM
I'll be picking up a Vive this summer. :tu We'll see how my current rig handles it.

Cry Havoc
03-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Fail.

Costs as much as the console itself? VR can go fuck itself.

You realize that this is basically two fully 3D, high refresh, motion tracking, high resolution monitors you're paying for, right? This isn't some minor peripheral. It blows my mind that people think this is going to be cheap technology, when you're combining so many other features. People spend upwards of $800 to $1500 for high end *single* computer monitors.

Reck
03-17-2016, 02:19 PM
You realize that this is basically two fully 3D, high refresh, motion tracking, high resolution monitors you're paying for, right? This isn't some minor peripheral. It blows my mind that people think this is going to be cheap technology, when you're combining so many other features. People spend upwards of $800 to $1500 for high end *single* computer monitors.

Not discounting that.

I just think this can go either way right now for taking that kind of risk money wise.

This can be a novelty that will past in 1, 2 years. Who knows if it will stick.

Cry Havoc
03-18-2016, 12:18 AM
Not discounting that.

I just think this can go either way right now for taking that kind of risk money wise.

This can be a novelty that will past in 1, 2 years. Who knows if it will stick.

DVD players were $2,000 when they first came out. Didn't stop the adoption from happening when they became more affordable.

ElNono
03-18-2016, 01:05 AM
Frankly, the screens are not that costly. We're talking a bit high end cell-phone style 1080p screens. A good LG screen on an Apple/Samsung cost them about $40 a pop including the touchscreen and gorilla glass... what gets costly is the tracking electronics, and there's obviously the novelty factor and patent minefield I'm sure they all have to go through.

This is also a tech I'm not sure you want to be an early adopter of, either, other than the wow factor. If it does take off, I'm sure you'll see those prices drop to near or less than $200 in relatively short time.

Cry Havoc
03-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Frankly, the screens are not that costly. We're talking a bit high end cell-phone style 1080p screens. A good LG screen on an Apple/Samsung cost them about $40 a pop including the touchscreen and gorilla glass... what gets costly is the tracking electronics, and there's obviously the novelty factor and patent minefield I'm sure they all have to go through.

This is also a tech I'm not sure you want to be an early adopter of, either, other than the wow factor. If it does take off, I'm sure you'll see those prices drop to near or less than $200 in relatively short time.

The R&D tech behind the displays have been one of the most difficult things for oculus to deal with. Their 1st dev kit had terrible screens on it that caused sickness, and even the DK2 didn't have great displays. It's been a grind for them to get decent screens to the CV1. I think you're underselling how difficult it is to integrate high quality high refresh 3D screens onto a system like this.

baseline bum
03-18-2016, 01:41 PM
I'll be picking up a Vive this summer. :tu We'll see how my current rig handles it.

Why? So you can play Job Simulator? At least wait until there are good games before buying something.

Cry Havoc
03-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Why? So you can play Job Simulator? At least wait until there are good games before buying something.

Well, it's not a guarantee, but that's the direction I'm leaning. I've demoed the Vive and even the early titles that are in beta are fucking phenomenal.

ElNono
03-18-2016, 03:41 PM
The R&D tech behind the displays have been one of the most difficult things for oculus to deal with. Their 1st dev kit had terrible screens on it that caused sickness, and even the DK2 didn't have great displays. It's been a grind for them to get decent screens to the CV1. I think you're underselling how difficult it is to integrate high quality high refresh 3D screens onto a system like this.

This should be required reading when talking about VR tech, especifically the judder posts:
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

Michael is now the Chief Scientist at Oculus...

DJR210
03-18-2016, 04:49 PM

Elitists and enthusiasts you mean. No point in arguing this to casuals.

ElNono
03-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Not gonna lie, hoping Sony sends us a unit, tbh...

Cry Havoc
03-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Elitists and enthusiasts you mean. No point in arguing this to casuals.

And businesses. And professionals. Facebook didn't put a billion dollars into this to appeal to a tiny niche market.

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2016, 08:11 PM
someone should list the companies selling these vr and price

samsung is the cheapest under 200bucks right? i t hink if you the early buyers of the kimchi7 + edge, u get a free vr set...

baseline bum
03-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Review of the Rift by the best gaming channel on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RA0Ri1UW1A

Project Cars must be fucking incredible on this.

DJR210
03-29-2016, 12:36 AM
I can imagine the next Elder Scrolls fully modded in VR..

baseline bum
03-29-2016, 12:46 AM
I can imagine the next Elder Scrolls fully modded in VR..

I just wonder if it's possible to do VR without making you sick. That's disappointing to hear Richard Leadbetter say he could only play Project Cars or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for 15 minutes at a time even though he was keeping a locked 90 fps.

DJR210
03-29-2016, 12:48 AM
Smoke weed bro it's good for nausea

baseline bum
03-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Smoke weed bro it's good for nausea

I don't like the idea of being a wake and bake smoker. It destroys the pleasure you get from being an occasional smoker once you build up that tolerance. Plus it's cheap as fuck to get high every once in a while with the quality of weed out there now. But it ain't cheap if you're doing it every day. Man I gotta pass on that idea.

leemajors
03-29-2016, 10:38 AM
I don't like the idea of being a wake and bake smoker. It destroys the pleasure you get from being an occasional smoker once you build up that tolerance. Plus it's cheap as fuck to get high every once in a while with the quality of weed out there now. But it ain't cheap if you're doing it every day. Man I gotta pass on that idea.

depends on your hookup breh. I don't blaze constantly every day, it's pointless, but there is some great bud out there and it doesn't take much.

baseline bum
03-29-2016, 11:17 AM
but there is some great bud out there and it doesn't take much.

Maybe my post wasn't worded clearly, but that's exactly what I meant, weed is unbelievably good now and you don't need to buy much if you're not a regular smoker who has built up a tolerance.

leemajors
03-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Maybe my post wasn't worded clearly, but that's exactly what I meant, weed is unbelievably good now and you don't need to buy much if you're not a regular smoker who has built up a tolerance.

:tu If i had smoked already that would have been clearer :lmao

baseline bum
03-29-2016, 01:09 PM
:tu If i had smoked already that would have been clearer :lmao

Cry Havoc
03-29-2016, 04:18 PM
I just wonder if it's possible to do VR without making you sick. That's disappointing to hear Richard Leadbetter say he could only play Project Cars or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for 15 minutes at a time even though he was keeping a locked 90 fps.

I've been in a VR experience (Vive) for an hour at a time with absolutely no nausea. It's probably person dependent.

baseline bum
03-29-2016, 04:46 PM
I've been in a VR experience (Vive) for an hour at a time with absolutely no nausea. It's probably person dependent.

Yeah, I wonder. I mean I never get carsick, never get seasick, so I wonder if I might have more tolerance for intense VR gaming than he appears to. Or if it ends up being something like 3D TV that the human brain really can't adapt to. I hope not though, because I can't imagine how incredible this would be for flight simulators and racing games.

baseline bum
04-05-2016, 11:48 AM
LOL at the Nvidia keynote for GTC 2016 they brought Wozniak on to be the first person to try their Mars simulation VR and the nigga started getting sick. :lol

NASpurs
04-05-2016, 03:59 PM
The Vive and its games seem so much better than the Rift. The controller just adds another dimension to the VR experience too.

baseline bum
04-05-2016, 04:14 PM
The Vive and its games seem so much better than the Rift. The controller just adds another dimension to the VR experience too.

Which games are you referring to?

NASpurs
04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Which games are you referring to?

I've been watching on and off some of the streams going around and the quality of games in general seem much better in the Vive. I also watched the streams when the Rift launched and the games were meh to me.

Japan is on some next-level shit though

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD0-r_tm751/

leemajors
04-06-2016, 12:12 PM

I heard the tripping over cables and sore neck from the weight of the thing add to the experience.

NASpurs
04-06-2016, 12:34 PM
I heard the tripping over cables and sore neck from the weight of the thing add to the experience.

Yeah that's the one knock against it that I've seen. You have to be aware where the wires are at otherwise you'll trip. I've noticed a lot of cable management in the streams that were demoing the Vive. Another thing that may be kind of a deal breaker is that you need quite a bit of space. There's a minimum requirement of space needed and some people fail to me meet the minimum space requirement because of where their PC is located. You gotta have your PC in the living room or something because the Vive uses the allocated space for people to move around in.

But yeah, some of these games just seem more polished compared to what I've seen from the Rift. There's a lot of concept games that feel more like demos but it just seems to be there's more well-constructed games on the Vive compared to the Rift. I'm guessing it's because of the Valve connection or something.

The future will be really here when these things go wireless tbh.

baseline bum
04-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Yeah that's the one knock against it that I've seen. You have to be aware where the wires are at otherwise you'll trip. I've noticed a lot of cable management in the streams that were demoing the Vive. Another thing that may be kind of a deal breaker is that you need quite a bit of space. There's a minimum requirement of space needed and some people fail to me meet the minimum space requirement because of where their PC is located. You gotta have your PC in the living room or something because the Vive uses the allocated space for people to move around in.

But yeah, some of these games just seem more polished compared to what I've seen from the Rift. There's a lot of concept games that feel more like demos but it just seems to be there's more well-constructed games on the Vive compared to the Rift. I'm guessing it's because of the Valve connection or something.

I really don't like the Vive from what I have seen, too many negatives. I'd need a practically empty room, with no furniture to trip over. I'd have to put a $1000+ pc in said empty room. I don't want to trip over my dog while playing. No one in his right mind is going to stand there and feed that cable to prevent me from tripping over it. And I'm not going to pay $3000 for an i7-HQ + GTX 980 laptop to put in a backpack to get past the wire problem.

leemajors
04-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Yeah it was either the Ars review or the Verge one where dude slammed his hand into a window that wasn't detected. I think it's best to wait a few years, hopefully things get less clunky.

Cry Havoc
04-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Man, if your neck gets sore from this, I don't know what to tell you. I can barely tell I'm wearing it when it's on. Super fucking comfortable.

leemajors
04-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Man, if your neck gets sore from this, I don't know what to tell you. I can barely tell I'm wearing it when it's on. Super fucking comfortable.

I was just going off a review, I'd much rather spend that money upgrading my 29er =]

DJR210
04-08-2016, 12:20 AM
Just got my Vive and 980Ti in.. gotta say I'm pretty fucking impressed. :tu another win for the Master Race

baseline bum
04-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Just got my Vive and 980Ti in.. gotta say I'm pretty fucking impressed. :tu another win for the Master Race

Damn man $650 on Maxwell this late in the game?

DJR210
04-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Damn man $650 on Maxwell this late in the game?

Money sticks outta my ass holmes

baseline bum
04-08-2016, 12:32 AM

Can I have your card after you died?

baseline bum
04-08-2016, 12:32 AM

Also you can get 8xGP100 now for $130k. Comes with a couple of Xeon E7s too.

baseline bum
04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
With those 8xGP100 you might have a chance of getting 50 fps in Quantum Break.

DJR210
04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Also you can get 8xGP100 now for $130k. Comes with a couple of Xeon E7s too.

Damn.. That's not bad

baseline bum
04-08-2016, 12:39 AM
Damn.. That's not bad

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/NVIDIA-Tesla-P100-GP100-GPU_1-635x423.jpg

baseline bum
04-08-2016, 12:40 AM
LOL each of those 8 GPUs uses 300W. The fucking stock boost clock is 1480 MHz. :lol

DJR210
04-08-2016, 12:42 AM
God damn.. need a small generator to power that shit