PDA

View Full Version : It's almost too good to be true.

midnightpulp
01-04-2016, 10:28 PM
Are we really this good?

In before Golden State. We've looked better than them, even when they were fully healthy (the Clippers let those faggots off the hook twice, and Lionel Hollins black-coached his way out of a win against them, as well).

The offense has caught up to the defense now. Scary, scary shit.

The natural skeptic/pessimist in me doesn't believe it. I love Kawhi, but will he repeat the Matt Barnes fiasco again? Will LMA choke in the playoffs (he has a history of doing so)? Will Parker kill the team again? Will Duncan turn to dust?

I expect all that to happen, but at the same time these Spurs are looking like one of the better teams of the last decade.

I don't know what to believe.

Agloco
01-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Just enjoy the ride. We're only a few stops from the terminus unforch.

Mugen
01-04-2016, 10:32 PM
the ceiling of this team definitely looks scary tbh.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-04-2016, 10:33 PM
This has got to be the scariest team of the Pop era. And that's saying something. Here's hoping they reach their full potential.

Robz4000
01-04-2016, 10:33 PM
The West is terrible this year so they should get an easy first round opponent this year (in b4 the Pelicans get det 7th seed and cuck the Spurs). That'll give them the chance to get their playoff legs. OKC is an easier match up than it was before and Kawhi generally plays well against the Durant/Westbrook combo. If this team fails to get to the WCF and its not due to a match up with the Pelicans, then the team choked massively.

Budkin
01-04-2016, 10:35 PM
I'll wait and see approaching the playoffs. We said the same thing in 2011. Granted, this team is NOT fool's gold as that team was.

Raven
01-04-2016, 10:35 PM
lol barnes fiasco when we were playing belinelli

ElNono
01-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Just enjoy the ride.

SpursFan86
01-04-2016, 10:37 PM
It's still early in the season, but you don't just fluke into being this dominant for 35+ games. Someone here posted a tweet showing the best point differential through 35 games, and the Spurs were 2nd all-time behind only the '72 Lakers. The other teams on that list were the '72 Bucks and '97 Bulls...so needless to say, pretty good company. They had over a +20 net rating in December, which is the best month since the '96 Bulls had a month with a +16 net rating.

If this were basically any other year, the Spurs would be getting insane amounts of hype and would be clear-cut favorites to win it all. Unfortunately there's another GOAT-tier team in the conference though. That being said, I've grown much more confident in our chances of beating GS. If you asked me at the start of the season I would've said we only have a 30-35% chance of beating them. Now, I think it's about 50/50 (and that's assuming they get HCA).

The most encouraging thing is that it's not like we're playing way above our ceiling or anything. Green has been awful for most of the year. LMA has been inconsistent as he's trying to learn how to fit in to the new system. Duncan has been taking it easy and not exerting a ton of effort. I think Parker's play from earlier on is unsustainable, but we've still looked great even when he doesn't play that well. Kawhi's shooting might regress a bit but even if it does, he could still be a 21-22 ppg scorer on 57-58 TS%, which is all we could've asked for going into the season. Schedule has been admittedly easy, but 1) we've still played well against +.500 teams, and 2) even if we regress some as the schedule toughens, we're still shaping up to be one of the most dominant teams in the past decade.

If this team stays healthy, I like our chances against anyone...even another all-time great team like the Warriors. Hopefully we're the '72 Lakers and they're the '72 Bucks :lol

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2016, 10:39 PM
We will lose to the Knicks.

spurraider21
01-04-2016, 10:39 PM
lol barnes fiasco when we were playing belinelli
marco probably needed more minutes in that series... green was struggling on both ends, at least marco was hitting his shots. duncan, manu, and marco were the only guys who didn't have any major struggles during the series

in any event, marco is irrelevant to the "barnes fiasco" as midnightpulp alluded to. leonard struggled pretty mightily in games 5-7 after being awesome in games 1-4

DMC
01-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Are we really this good?

In before Golden State. We've looked better than them, even when they were fully healthy (the Clippers let those faggots off the hook twice, and Lionel Hollins black-coached his way out of a win against them, as well).

The natural skeptic/pessimist in me doesn't believe it. I love Kawhi, but will he repeat the Matt Barnes fiasco again? Will LMA choke in the playoffs (he has a history of doing so)? Will Parker kill the team again? Will Duncan turn to dust?

I expect all that to happen, but at the same time these Spurs are looking like one of the better teams of the last decade.

We've had the weakest schedule so far. True, you can't play against yourself and if you're top of the heap you dilute the SOS, but we are playing basically lottery teams except Houston. Let's wait until we play OKC, GS, Miami, Cleveland, Clippers (again) and Dallas.

We are 2nd best in the league though, any way you spin it.

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2016, 10:42 PM
marco probably needed more minutes in that series... green was struggling on both ends, at least marco was hitting his shots

duncan, manu, and marco were the only guys who didn't have any major struggles during the series
Manu shot 34.9% for 8ppg that series tbh.

SpursFan86
01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
I'll wait and see approaching the playoffs. We said the same thing in 2011. Granted, this team is NOT fool's gold as that team was.

Both teams started out 30-6, but this current Spurs team has been far more dominant.

2010-2011 Spurs through 36 games: +7.7 net rating
2015-2016 Spurs through 36 games: +13.6 net rating (will be slightly higher since that's not taking into account tonight's game)

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
GSW, with HCA, will beat us in the playoffs if OKC doesn't.

ElNono
01-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Manu shot 34.9% for 8ppg that series tbh.

He led the team in assists, IIRC.... but he was average... though it's difficult to ask him at this age for another 2014 type of performance...

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Gay Area :lol
OGayC :lol

theman21
01-04-2016, 10:48 PM

I believe we can find a way to win in 7 games if we have to go against GSW.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 10:49 PM
I believe we can find a way to win in 7 games if we have to go against GSW.

We won't win in 7 if game 7 is at Oracle. No chance in hell. Only chance is to win in 6.

YGWHI
marco probably needed more minutes in that series... green was struggling on both ends, at least marco was hitting his shots. duncan, manu, and marco were the only guys who didn't have any major struggles during the series

Patty was shooting really good from 3, I'd have preferred to see him getting more minutes than injured-Parker/Danny.

wingster
We are that good. I'm enjoying every minute.

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Why are people acting like it's impossible to win at Oracle? Spurs clapped them there plenty of times, they never struggle there... Lebron beat them there too in a Finals.

theman21
01-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Why are people acting like it's impossible to win at Oracle? Spurs clapped them there plenty of times, they never struggle there... Lebron beat them there too in a Finals.

Exactly...to top it off, we didn't get to see Spurs vs GSW in playoffs...so we don't know how either will fair in head to head when it counts until we see it.

I still contend that the final game against Hornets last season cost us last years championship...and I have a feeling Pop feels the same way, which is why uncharacteristicly the Spurs are not holding themselves down in the regular season, I believe this is the reason for the rise in the MoV stat.

apalisoc_9
01-04-2016, 10:59 PM
The schedule really helps.

Not just un terms of winning games but as the team has progressed without sacrificing much wins thanks to the poor schedule to start the season.

pgardn
01-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Our personnel at this point seems very deep.
This overrides our weak schedule.

Im comfortable. Very comfortable.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 11:00 PM
not that we can't win a game or 2 early, but no way in hell we're winning a game 7 there for all the marbles.

pgardn
01-04-2016, 11:01 PM
not that we can't win a game or 2 early, but no way in hell we're winning a game 7 there for all the marbles.

Why not?

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2016, 11:01 PM
Scary part is, Spurs don't start rolling until after the Rodeo Road Trip...

look_at_g_shred
01-04-2016, 11:02 PM
In b4 by product of an easy schedule.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Why not?

It's game 7. Home teams win 88% of the time, and the HCA at Oracle might be the greatest in NBA history.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 11:03 PM

I could see the Spurs maybe getting injuries and going like 3–5 on the RRT and like .600 in March or something and falling to the 3rd or 4th seed. Ugh.

Mnky
We will lose to the Knicks.

Bruh... Too soon.. :cry

pgardn
It's game 7. Home teams win 88% of the time, and the HCA at Oracle might be the greatest in NBA history.

If we are better than them we can beat them.
That simple...

spurraider21
yeah, unlike a guy like marco, you can't really define manu's success/failure on his shooting. manu wasn't anything special, but he's not one of the guys i'd point to as guys who had significant struggles in the clippers series (looking mostly at parker/splitter/baynes/green, and then the last few games by kawhi)

ceperez
01-04-2016, 11:04 PM

Don't want to peak too early. Leonard still shooting at a ridiculous percentage. Just need both LMA and Green to be more efficient in offense.

Diaw really is playing well lately. I can't believe how easy he scored against the long Bucks players.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 11:04 PM
If we are better than them we can beat them.
That simple...

I don't care if we have the Dream Team or the Mon-Stars, winning 5 on 8 is one thing but we're not winning 5 on 20k+.

theman21
01-04-2016, 11:05 PM

Not just un terms of winning games but as the team has progressed without sacrificing much wins thanks to the poor schedule to start the season.
It's true, but GSW have had a similar weak schedule. It's probably worth adding that the NBA removed a ton of back to backs, this helps the Spurs as well.

UNT Eagles 2016
Don't want to peak too early. Leonard still shooting at a ridiculous percentage. Just need both LMA and Green to be more efficient in offense.

Diaw really is playing well lately. I can't believe how easy he scored against the long Bucks players.
Green's % will go up, Leonard's % will go down.

Arcadian
This could potentially be the best Spurs team ever, maybe better than '14, if they peak at the right time.

pgardn
01-04-2016, 11:08 PM
I don't care if we have the Dream Team or the Mon-Stars, winning 5 on 8 is one thing but we're not winning 5 on 20k+.

Wrong.

The fans can't play.
If we are the better team, we can win ANY game 7 away.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-04-2016, 11:10 PM

I disagree.

midnightpulp
01-04-2016, 11:10 PM

Point diff. has always been a better indicator of dominance than the number of good teams you beat (FWIW, Bucks are a good team at home).

I wouldn't make this thread if we were winning by 5-10 points against these teams, but we are demolishing them.

This team in its current form beats OKC on opening day by 10.

Floyd Pacquiao
01-04-2016, 11:11 PM
They're peaking too soon, fck....

Raven
01-04-2016, 11:12 PM

in any event, marco is irrelevant to the "barnes fiasco" as midnightpulp alluded to. leonard struggled pretty mightily in games 5-7 after being awesome in games 1-4

stick to mlb where you belong tbh

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Wrong.

The fans can't play.
If we are the better team, we can win ANY game 7 away.

Say the Thunder and Grizzlies meet in the 1st round this year. Then, say Westbrook and Durant both went out with injuries.

I'd still pick the Thunder to win a game 7 in that situation. Hostile environments in the NBA are the most underrated confounding variable in sports.

midnightpulp
01-04-2016, 11:14 PM
They're peaking too soon, fck....

Not really. The Spurs seem to be in cruise control in most of these games, basically sleepwalking for entire quarters and still winning by 20 :lol

I ain't calling title yet, though. Other dominant looking Spurs teams ('04 and '12. I never believed in the '11 squad with shitty RJ) flamed out. One of these reasons I'm emotionally cautious to "believe" too much.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Not really. The Spurs seem to be in cruise control in most of these games, basically sleepwalking for entire quarters and still winning by 20 :lol

I ain't calling title yet, though. Other dominant looking Spurs teams ('04 and '12. I never believed in the '11 squad with shitty RJ) flamed out. One of these reasons I'm emotionally cautious to "believe" too much.
'04 team wasn't dominant. We had fucking Jason Hart as our fulltime backup point guard that year. The bench in general was mediocre after all the personnel turnover we had that previous offseason. We only won what, 55 games? Never believed in that team though that Timmy shot over Shaq was a flash in the pan, :cry

pgardn
01-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Say the Thunder and Grizzlies meet in the 1st round this year. Then, say Westbrook and Durant both went out with injuries.

I'd still pick the Thunder to win a game 7 in that situation. Hostile environments in the NBA are the most underrated confounding variable in sports.

All it tells me is the teams are evenly matched.

If a superior team plays poorly enough to lose 3 games, but is still superior, I take em away. It's very simple.

BatManu20
01-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Long season.

dbreiden83080
01-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Perfectly under the radar too. On pace for 68 wins and nobody is talking..

midnightpulp
01-04-2016, 11:21 PM
'04 team wasn't dominant. We had fucking Jason Hart as our fulltime backup point guard that year. The bench in general was mediocre after all the personnel turnover we had that previous offseason. We only won what, 55 games? Never believed in that team though that Timmy shot over Shaq was a flash in the pan, :cry

The '04 team ended the season on a 13 game winning streak (including a dominant road win against the Lakers, who had like a 10 game winning streak, IIRC) and won 6 straight playoff games by a double digit average before melting down. The Lakers weren't the better team that year. It was a chokejob.

dbreiden83080
01-04-2016, 11:22 PM
As long as we stay healthy we are on a collision course for one of the great Western Conference finals match ups of all time.

dbreiden83080
01-04-2016, 11:23 PM
The '04 team ended the season on a 13 game winning streak (including a dominant road win against the Lakers, who had like an 10 game winning streak, IIRC) and won 6 straight playoff games by a double digit average before melting down. The Lakers weren't the better team that year. It was a chokejob.

We lost that series primarily because Tony played great for two games, then completely went into the toilet.

littlecoyotecoin
01-04-2016, 11:23 PM

Ohh...not even close

Uriel
01-04-2016, 11:25 PM
This thread is long overdue. The Spurs have been the best team in the NBA this season, Golden State hype and all. They're #1 in point differential, #1 in net rating, #1 in defensive efficiency, the only team in the top 3 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, and it's still a long way away from its ceiling (whereas the Warriors are already approaching theirs).

This could end up being the best Spurs team in history.

midnightpulp
01-04-2016, 11:26 PM
We lost that series primarily because Tony played great for two games, then completely went into the toilet.

Phil packed the paint after Tony was shredding them, and since shitty Hedo and a slumping Robert Horry couldn't hit a fuckin' 3, Parker never got good spacing to operate. This was before he developed that 18 footer, unfortunately. Not excusing Tony, but the "shooters" we brought in also massively choked. Thankfully Horry redeemed himself. But Hedo...what a pile of trash.

dbreiden83080
01-04-2016, 11:26 PM

The West is just not as strong this year. Which is kind of refreshing to be honest.

dbreiden83080
01-04-2016, 11:27 PM
Phil packed the paint after Tony was shredding them, and since shitty Hedo and a slumping Robert Horry couldn't hit a fuckin' 3, Parker never got good spacing to operate. This was before he developed that 18 footer, unfortunately. Not excusing Tony, but the "shooters" we brought in also massively choked. Thankfully Horry redeemed himself. But Hedo...what a pile of trash.

You are correct in everything that you just said. We did pretty much choke that series away. Tim I recall played well but not as well as he should have. But then again outside of Tony in the first two games, it is not like he had a whole lot of help.

r0drig0lac
01-04-2016, 11:28 PM
good challenges coming
14- cavs
25- gsw
30- cavs

100%duncan
01-04-2016, 11:31 PM
M
It's still early in the season, but you don't just fluke into being this dominant for 35+ games. Someone here posted a tweet showing the best point differential through 35 games, and the Spurs were 2nd all-time behind only the '72 Lakers. The other teams on that list were the '72 Bucks and '97 Bulls...so needless to say, pretty good company. They had over a +20 net rating in December, which is the best month since the '96 Bulls had a month with a +16 net rating.

If this were basically any other year, the Spurs would be getting insane amounts of hype and would be clear-cut favorites to win it all. Unfortunately there's another GOAT-tier team in the conference though. That being said, I've grown much more confident in our chances of beating GS. If you asked me at the start of the season I would've said we only have a 30-35% chance of beating them. Now, I think it's about 50/50 (and that's assuming they get HCA).

The most encouraging thing is that it's not like we're playing way above our ceiling or anything. Green has been awful for most of the year. LMA has been inconsistent as he's trying to learn how to fit in to the new system. Duncan has been taking it easy and not exerting a ton of effort. I think Parker's play from earlier on is unsustainable, but we've still looked great even when he doesn't play that well. Kawhi's shooting might regress a bit but even if it does, he could still be a 21-22 ppg scorer on 57-58 TS%, which is all we could've asked for going into the season. Schedule has been admittedly easy, but 1) we've still played well against +.500 teams, and 2) even if we regress some as the schedule toughens, we're still shaping up to be one of the most dominant teams in the past decade.

If this team stays healthy, I like our chances against anyone...even another all-time great team like the Warriors. Hopefully we're the '72 Lakers and they're the '72 Bucks :lol
Dude nailed it. Besides, easy sched or not, we still yet to reach 5th gear (danny hitting 2-4 threes per game, LMA being 19-21 ppg player)

BanditHiro
01-05-2016, 12:07 AM
the difference between the Warriors record and Spurs record is a bunch of games decided by 5 points which have statistically been clip flipping in their determination of a winner. The Warriors legendary luck has been in full display.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Spurs choked at home pretty badly in the playoffs last year. Not like GS can't win in SA. They're a better road team than the Spurs.

Loving this year's Spurs, and we should get to the WCF, but I'd bet a lot more money on GS's best players showing up consistently in a series than ours.

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Spurs choked at home pretty badly in the playoffs last year. Not like GS can't win in SA. They're a better road team than the Spurs.

Loving this year's Spurs, and we should get to the WCF, but I'd bet a lot more money on GS's best players showing up consistently in a series than ours.
Yah like how green and thompson performed last finals imho tbh fwiw

UNT Eagles 2016
01-05-2016, 12:23 AM
The '04 team ended the season on a 13 game winning streak (including a dominant road win against the Lakers, who had like a 10 game winning streak, IIRC) and won 6 straight playoff games by a double digit average before melting down. The Lakers weren't the better team that year. It was a chokejob.

The Clippers had like a 19 game winning streak in 2013, and they were first round fodder that year. The Rockets had a 22 game winning streak in 2008 and were first round fodder. Regular season winning streaks mean very little typically speaking. And that road win against the Lakers wasn't exactly dominant, we let them back into the game before pulling away again at the end. Not to mention the fact we lost the other 3 against the Lakers that year (including both at home). The Lakers were old that year, but stacked nonetheless.

Our playoff rotation consisted of Tim, Tony, sophomore Manu who wasn't that great yet, Bruce, Rasho (LOL), Horry (who looked done that year tbh), Devin Brown (LOL), Hedo (LMAO), Jason Hart (LOL) and Malik Rose. Possibly the shittiest bench in the TD era, if you count Manu as a starter and Turkoglu as a sub.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Yah like how green and thompson performed last finals imho tbh fwiw

Iggy won FMVP, their players will show up when they'll need them. I'd love for the Spurs (or any team) to finish GS this year, but I think the Spurs defense is overrated (but still solid).

Would love to do to them what the 2005 Spurs did to the 2005 Suns.

TDfan2007
01-05-2016, 12:47 AM
I was thinking the same thing watching the game tonight. This team is so incredibly deep. We have a bench full of playmakers and assassins, a handful of great post options, a solid PG, and a 2-way superstar/MVP candidate in Kawhi. We can go small, we can play big. Honestly, the sky is the limit. Once Danny fully regains his stroke and Timmy/LMA develop better chemistry we'll be beyond scary good.

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 01:07 AM
Iggy won FMVP, their players will show up when they'll need them. I'd love for the Spurs (or any team) to finish GS this year, but I think the Spurs defense is overrated (but still solid).

Do you also think gsw defense is overrated? Serious question because when they dont click offensively they also seem to struggle on the defensive end imho

spursistan
01-05-2016, 01:18 AM

that +14 PT differential after 36 games was manufactured while barely breaking a sweat..This team is really good, just hope we get a fair shake with health to see its final ceiling...

TDfan2007
01-05-2016, 01:26 AM
People seem to forget that the Spurs were a legitimate championship contender last year before Tony and Tiago inexplicably broke down toward the very end of the season. They ended the season on a tear and were absolutely destroying teams. This year's team is even better.

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2016, 01:35 AM

Smfh.... fuck the thunderefs

Mikeanaro
01-05-2016, 01:35 AM
SPULSHHH!!!
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-8NFBtOPaACk/TiB_OdHp0-I/AAAAAAAAEqk/RRyMmB7j6vI/dork_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2016, 02:03 AM
Do you also think gsw defense is overrated? Serious question because when they dont click offensively they also seem to struggle on the defensive end imho

I don't think GSW is invincible, I think they win a lot of games decided by 5 points or less (at least 7 off my head) but Curry is in god mode this season. He's the difference maker whereas I can see Kawhi go missing for a game or two in a potential series. Obviously a long way to go until we reach that point and I do think the Spurs have more room for improvement than the Warriors do (can the Warriors play any better than they have been so far?)

I just think GSW has so many weapons, not that the Spurs don't but we've seen last year what happens when half the team doesn't show up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong this spring!

rmt
01-05-2016, 02:08 AM
It's still only the beginning of January - a long way to go and lots of potential injuries. What happens when GSW goes micro-ball? TD and LMA won't be able to play together - the rotation and defense will be messed up.

timtonymanu
01-05-2016, 02:17 AM
I don't think GSW is invincible, I think they win a lot of games decided by 5 points or less (at least 7 off my head) but Curry is in god mode this season. He's the difference maker whereas I can see Kawhi go missing for a game or two in a potential series. Obviously a long way to go until we reach that point and I do think the Spurs have more room for improvement than the Warriors do (can the Warriors play any better than they have been so far?)

I just think GSW has so many weapons, not that the Spurs don't but we've seen last year what happens when half the team doesn't show up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong this spring!

Curry's track record against the Spurs has been mediocre while Kawhi had been a bad matchup for their wing defenders (Barnes, Iggy). I don't think Kawhi will disappear against them like you believe. I think you give Curry too much respect too. Imo, he wasn't very good in the Finals last year against the Cavs, who we are rich man version of.

spursistan
01-05-2016, 03:22 AM
Spurs D has been slipping a bit/or balancing out with offense..we only have 3rd best D rating in the league in the last 10 games (96.6) starting from the Wizards game , which coincided with Duncan getting plenty of DNPs rest since then..

enough for UNT Eagles 2016 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49650) to :pctoss this shit..

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 03:45 AM

Good points but I was honestly asking that question seriously.

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 03:47 AM
I also think if kawhi disappears offensively as ammused says, he can still do a lot on the defensive end and turn it into offense.

spurraider21
01-05-2016, 03:51 AM
I also think if kawhi disappears offensively as ammused says, he can still do a lot on the defensive end and turn it into offense.
yup, just look at his december vs november stats. his FGA dropped noticeably but his scoring was very minimally affected

https://i.gyazo.com/d2fc9c0aac92f2dfe7558b8aa925dc41.png

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 03:58 AM
yup, just look at his december vs november stats. his FGA dropped noticeably but his scoring was very minimally affected

https://i.gyazo.com/d2fc9c0aac92f2dfe7558b8aa925dc41.png

The good thing with having probably the best 2 way player in the league is that he can do a lot of things to impact the game if he suddenly has a bad shooting night. Not to mention the spurs have a lot of weapons that can suddenly get hot 1-2 games in a series. Golden state is on another level but I think a lot are really underestimating the spurs even after being so dominant. Amd that is coming from me who was on the "easy schedule, wait and see" bandwagon in early december

james evans
01-05-2016, 05:29 AM
It's still amazing how well the ball moves when parker isn't playing

james evans
01-05-2016, 05:30 AM
The good thing with having probably the best 2 way player in the league is that he can do a lot of things to impact the game if he suddenly has a bad shooting night. Not to mention the spurs have a lot of weapons that can suddenly get hot 1-2 games in a series. Golden state is on another level but I think a lot are really underestimating the spurs even after being so dominant. Amd that is coming from me who was on the "easy schedule, wait and see" bandwagon in early december
"PROBABLY"???

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 06:02 AM
"PROBABLY"???

Yeah he's the best imho

Mel_13
01-05-2016, 06:11 AM
Just enjoy the ride.

SouthernFried
01-05-2016, 06:50 AM
It's still amazing how well the ball moves when parker isn't playing

Old School 44
01-05-2016, 06:52 AM
The Spurs organization is a well-oiled machine. How many teams can find a "Jonathan Simmons" or "Boban"? Find the time to develop them? All while integrating veterans like LMA and DWest and not having one complaint about playing time or sacrificing wins???

None. There is no other franchise that works like the Spurs.

ceperez
01-05-2016, 07:06 AM
6 dunks by 4 different players.... yes... too good to be true.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-05-2016, 08:10 AM
Spurs D has been slipping a bit/or balancing out with offense..we only have 3rd best D rating in the league in the last 10 games (96.6) starting from the Wizards game , which coincided with Duncan getting plenty of DNPs rest since then..

enough for UNT Eagles 2016 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49650) to :pctoss this shit..
Which proves we're totally fucked in the playoffs when the G.O.A.T. hangs 'em up. We'll still be a >50 win team and a top 5 seed for quite awhile, though.

MVPCues
01-05-2016, 08:19 AM
I could see the Spurs maybe getting injuries and going like 3–5 on the RRT and like .600 in March or something and falling to the 3rd or 4th seed. Ugh.

Damn bruh. I understand calling a game 7 at the Oracle a loss, but your riding your own wave here. Spurs have shown they can win this year no matter who they rest/plug in. This year, an injury or two and a rough RRT would be 5 and 3.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Damn bruh. I understand calling a game 7 at the Oracle a loss, but your riding your own wave here. Spurs have shown they can win this year no matter who they rest/plug in. This year, an injury or two and a rough RRT would be 5 and 3.

The league stacked the deck against us to make us look like fool's gold early. The devil is that we play 6 out of our 8 games against OKC and GSW in the last month of the regular season this year (that's 3 times each). Last year, we only played 6 games against those two combined.

MVPCues
01-05-2016, 08:27 AM
The league stacked the deck against us to make us look like fool's gold early. The devil is that we play 6 out of our 8 games against OKC and GSW in the last month of the regular season this year (that's 3 times each). Last year, we only played 6 games against those two combined.

I understand that. I'm not going to deny your first sentence. You can frame a guilty man though. Yeah, the pace of winning will most likely fall off for the 2nd half of the season due to the schedule, but not off a cliff.

Agloco
01-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Did 168 tell you that?

Seventyniner
01-05-2016, 09:00 AM
I usually like to look at stats, but without looking it up it feels like the Spurs' garbage time team is insane on offense and average on defense. So some of this point differential could be fool's gold.

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 10:18 AM
I usually like to look at stats, but without looking it up it feels like the Spurs' garbage time team is insane on offense and average on defense. So some of this point differential could be fool's gold.

The fact that the spurs win games by the end of 3rd quarter already speaks for itself

ceperez
01-05-2016, 10:23 AM
The odd thing about the Spurs is that they play even better when they sit some of their players. It is like a embarrassment of riches and if you play less players, you get a more efficient game going.

Fireball
01-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Injuries ...injuries ...injuries. Nothing "real" happened in over two months ... that scares me a bit.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Good points but I was honestly asking that question seriously.

I don't know that it's overrated, I do think it is damn good although I would say the Spurs have better D. The Warriors do play at a much higher pace.

101A
01-05-2016, 11:18 AM

When I saw that I came to the conclusion that this schedule benefits the Spurs - who are traditionally a steamroller in March/April (SPAM anyone?) If the schedule were front-loaded, and the Spurs had already played those games against GS and OKC - they would have lost a majority, if not all of them. Now the Spurs are building, getting better, and incorporating a couple of good players and one great player.

I see, potentially, things lining up for us to witness one heck of a closing run for the Spurs big 3 - trailing the Dubs with a month to go by 3 - 4 games AND having 3 games remaining with them. Pop wanting HCA because of last year's experience - already a gaudy record, AND the team rolling on a 70+ win pace! MVP, DPOY HCA all on the line....going to be fun.

What could top #5?

This.

hater
01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Manu singlehandely lost us a championship. This good regular season streak means nothing

cutewizard
01-05-2016, 12:34 PM
we are going to win it all this year

book it!

UNT Eagles 2016
01-05-2016, 12:45 PM
When I saw that I came to the conclusion that this schedule benefits the Spurs - who are traditionally a steamroller in March/April (SPAM anyone?) If the schedule were front-loaded, and the Spurs had already played those games against GS and OKC - they would have lost a majority, if not all of them. Now the Spurs are building, getting better, and incorporating a couple of good players and one great player.

I see, potentially, things lining up for us to witness one heck of a closing run for the Spurs big 3 - trailing the Dubs with a month to go by 3 - 4 games AND having 3 games remaining with them. Pop wanting HCA because of last year's experience - already a gaudy record, AND the team rolling on a 70+ win pace! MVP, DPOY HCA all on the line....going to be fun.

What could top #5?

This.

#5 was overrated because it happened a year late and seemed too easy. Winning this year would be pretty fucking awesome though given the stiff competition after round 1.

ceperez
01-05-2016, 01:08 PM
#5 was overrated because it happened a year late and seemed too easy. Winning this year would be pretty fucking awesome though given the stiff competition after round 1.

Too easy???? WTF? Spurs had endured so many long years not making it into the championship only to be beaten in the dying minutes. They absolutely had to win that year. It wasn't easy if you consider how long it took to build the team to win that championship. Furthermore, you had to beat the defending champions who had won in the two previous years. That's like the biggest championship win ever and you call it overrated!!!?

The most difficult championship series (not considering everything else) was of course the one against the Pistons. Usually the Spurs beats a team that was a pushover... Knicks, Nets, Cavaliers but the Pistons were the defending champions.

Horse
01-05-2016, 01:45 PM
We won't win in 7 if game 7 is at Oracle. No chance in hell. Only chance is to win in 6.

Oh heres the Debbie downer negative nancy motherfucker. Fuck these pussy warriors, still rely on jumpshooting too much I think green will have this hands full with Duncan, Aldridge and even Boris. klay is a choke waiting to happen. Livingston may be the scariest thing to the Spurs.

ceperez
01-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Oh heres the Debbie downer negative nancy motherfucker. Fuck these pussy warriors, still rely on jumpshooting too much I think green will have this hands full with Duncan, Aldridge and even Boris. klay is a choke waiting to happen. Livingston may be the scariest thing to the Spurs.

Only if Parker or Mills is guarding Livingston. But you are right about Livingston, he makes a living mid-range. That is something the Spurs are going to give away.

spursistan
01-05-2016, 02:35 PM

Road record: Spurs 10-6, Warriors 15-2..

the randomness/luck in involved close games is basically difference in record between the two teams..we'll see if this trend contiunes..

steeledl
01-05-2016, 11:08 PM

the randomness/luck in involved close games is basically difference in record between the two teams..we'll see if this trend contiunes..

we played the 76ers on the road. Skews the stats.

cutewizard
01-06-2016, 12:29 AM
we are the best team in the NBA,period

the warriors are overrated

they have reached their peak.....we have yet yet to reach our highest ceiling......

in other words, by the law of averages the Warriors are going down,

ON THE OTHER HAND, WE ARE GOING UP, YPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

:bobo

spursistan
01-11-2016, 10:28 PM

You can harp on schedule all you want, but this is just ridiculous..:lol

midnightpulp
01-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Slightly worried about Parker, though. Hasn't looked right since the "sore hip."

TampaDude
01-11-2016, 10:39 PM
All you fucking cucks who think the Dubs are going to be in the Finals just kill yourselves now.

Spurs-Cavs Finals. BOOK IT!

dabom
01-11-2016, 10:43 PM
All you fucking cucks who think the Dubs are going to be in the Finals just kill yourselves now.

Spurs-Cavs Finals. BOOK IT!

Dam fucking straight. :lobt2:

sasaint
01-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Too easy???? WTF? Spurs had endured so many long years not making it into the championship only to be beaten in the dying minutes. They absolutely had to win that year. It wasn't easy if you consider how long it took to build the team to win that championship. Furthermore, you had to beat the defending champions who had won in the two previous years. That's like the biggest championship win ever and you call it overrated!!!?

The most difficult championship series (not considering everything else) was of course the one against the Pistons. Usually the Spurs beats a team that was a pushover... Knicks, Nets, Cavaliers but the Pistons were the defending champions.

You, sir, are correct! The championship against the Pistons was the best and toughest. The grittiest Spurs team ever. The Championship against the Cavs was second. Beautiful game, making up for the 2013 disappointment, beating Lebron and the rest of the Heat. Not as satisfying as the Pistons win on their home floor in an intense match-up, but clearly above the rest.

Kawhitstorm
01-11-2016, 11:37 PM
Spurs: 10 wins by at least 25 points ties franchise single-season record (1978-79 & 2012-13). :wow The season isn't halfway over yet.:toast

spurs10
01-12-2016, 12:39 AM

The most difficult championship series (not considering everything else) wash it they of course the one against the Pistons. Usually the Spurs beats a team that was a pushover... Knicks, Nets, Cavaliers but the Pistons were the defending champions. Thank you! It's never easy to win a championship in any major sport. It's asinine to even suggest it and the sign of someone who doesn't have an inkling of how hard our team worked to come back from that horrible loss in 2013. It will go down in sports history as the greatest redemption and comeback stories of all time.

Our guys didn't say a word, they simply put their heads down and got it done. :lobt2:

DETERMINATION :ihit

GSH
01-12-2016, 12:42 AM
Are we really this good?

If the Spurs win their next two, they will be exactly on a 70 win pace, exactly half way through the season. (35-6) Of course, in 2010-11, the Spurs opened up 37-6, and went out in the first round. This team is very different from that one. But with the second-toughest schedule in the last half of the season, I guess we're going to find out if they are really this good.

The biggest thing, I think, that says this is a much better team - in '10-11 the Spurs defense gave up 105.6 points per game. This season they are giving up 95.6 points per game. That's the third best in franchise history, and I think it says they're legitimate. I hope Pop keeps them focused on improving on defense. I think they have enough offense to beat anyone, but it's this defense that can win another LOB.

Vito Corleone
01-12-2016, 01:05 AM

I would love to hear your reasoning behind it.

The NBA is about matchups, and GS does not matchup very well with the Spurs.

1. The Spurs are going to dominate the boards and the paint. Even if GS decides to go small, SA has enough athletic Bigs that it won't face them one bit. West, Aldridge, and Diaw can all play against smaller lineups and still dominate inside while being able to stay with the other teams small lineup. Huge Advantage Spurs.

2. Spurs perimeter Defense can make the 3 pt shooting very difficult for GS especially for everyone not named Curry.

3. Curry, much like Lebron, can't do it all alone, and that is exactly what the Spurs are going to do to him, they will take away all his teammates and make him do it all by himself. And when he is tired in the 4th quarter the Spurs will put the hand on him and it's lights out for GS.

I will call my shot now, I think San Antonio will lose one game to GS when they meet in the playoffs.

Uriel
01-12-2016, 01:56 AM

That +11 is skewed heavily by the 51-point win at Philly. Also, I don't think it's fair to say that the difference between the Spurs and Warriors is entirely due to luck involved in close games. In the first place, some of those so-called "close games" like the one at Houston weren't even that close; we just made a run at the end of the game to make the final score look respectable.

SpursBig3s
01-12-2016, 02:38 AM
The Spurs organization is a well-oiled machine. How many teams can find a "Jonathan Simmons" or "Boban"? Find the time to develop them? All while integrating veterans like LMA and DWest and not having one complaint about playing time or sacrificing wins???

None. There is no other franchise that works like the Spurs.

:bobo we truly are a spoiled fanbase

LaMarcus Bryant
01-12-2016, 02:47 AM
The thing is

Can our best players play heavy minutes and remain effective over a quick turnaround playoff season?

weeks
01-12-2016, 03:04 AM
a +14 point differential, halfway through the season
just insane.

100%duncan
01-12-2016, 03:58 AM
That +11 is skewed heavily by the 51-point win at Philly. Also, I don't think it's fair to say that the difference between the Spurs and Warriors is entirely due to luck involved in close games. In the first place, some of those so-called "close games" like the one at Houston weren't even that close; we just made a run at the end of the game to make the final score look respectable.
What is your definition of close? Spurs were down 4 with a minute left to go. Bulls game, spurs were actually up and had a chance to tie. Okc game, spurs should have won, choked in the clutch. Wiz game, buzzer beater. Raptors, 3 pt game. Yeah those "some" just equates to 1, being the pelicans game where the spurs had no shot in hell of winning after the 1st half :lol

Horry Hipcheck
01-12-2016, 04:16 AM

You can harp on schedule all you want, but this is just ridiculous..:lol

In 39 games, the Spurs have won 14 by at least a 20 point margin - which leaves out a handful of 18 and 19 point wins. 14 wins by 20+. GSW has 6.

Horry Hipcheck
01-12-2016, 04:21 AM
Also, everyone remembers how disastrous December 2014 was for this team. Through 39 games last season, the Spurs sat at 23-16.

ceperez
01-12-2016, 06:33 AM
a +14 point differential, halfway through the season
just insane.

Carried primarily by the bench which has a +15 differential.

So if the bench doesn't play against the good teams, then you can throw away that differential.

It will all depend on who plays come playoff time. This differential is because the bench is very good. That could be fools gold if that bench isn't given an opportunity to play.

Spurs will be very difficult to defend against if Pop mixes and matches players more. That will be a nightmare to game plan against.

Ever wonder why complete unknowns tend to score their best against the Spurs? That's because Spurs players don't know the player and his tendencies. Come playoff time, there's enough tape to know about every opponent. However, if you play different combinations, the number is too overwelming to actually cover defensively. Last game, had this lineup:

Anderson, Leonard, Diaw, Bonner, West/Boban .... everyone except Leonard taller than 6'8". Anderson was the PG bringing up the ball.

aal04
01-12-2016, 06:37 AM
Carried primarily by the bench which has a +15 differential.

So if the bench doesn't play against the good teams, then you can throw away that differential.

I disagree, we are resting our starters after we get a lead. We never put them in to run up the score. They face the A-Team, then they are put on backup duty incase bench goes sour which it does often. If we play the starters 35-40min they would have just as big, if not bigger differential.

ceperez
01-12-2016, 06:40 AM
I disagree, we are resting our starters after we get a lead. We never put them in to run up the score. They face the A-Team, then they are put on backup duty incase bench goes sour which it does often. If we play the starters 35-40min they would have just as big, if not bigger differential.

Do you even look at the stats? Bench +15 differential, Starters -1 differential. Dude, it is just math!

The bench is what creates the separation.

The starters have been a uncoordinated mess for a while now. You had Green and LMA shooting at a poor percentage.

NameLess Scrub
01-12-2016, 06:53 AM
The other teams tend to look crappy.

This season seems like every good team will look inflated until they play each other.

Let's see what happens later in the month when the Spurs play better teams.

hater
01-12-2016, 07:04 AM
Stupid jinx thread. Go away

100%duncan
01-12-2016, 07:08 AM
Stupid jinx thread. Go away

:lmao

Always love you bro keep preaching man

ceperez
01-12-2016, 08:11 AM
The other teams tend to look crappy.

This season seems like every good team will look inflated until they play each other.

Let's see what happens later in the month when the Spurs play better teams.

I agree with you here. Spurs have not been tested enough.

They had the 2nd weakest schedule in the entire league at this point.

So it is no surprise that they got the 2nd best record.

The two guys who need to step up play is LMA and Danny Green.

spursistan
01-15-2016, 01:51 PM

the scary part is that the team still has some improving/growing to do..I think soft schedule and resting of players kind of mitigate each other out as far Net-rating...This is a historic team that all you could hope for is HEALTH seeing us out in this ride no matter what the final outcome is..

SAGirl
01-15-2016, 02:17 PM
My one concern with the point differential and such analysis:
We have a very deep team this season with 3 guys who get a small amount of regular rotation minutes, who really are just too good of players for the mix of 2nd/3rd string benches they face in blowout situations: Boban/Simmons/Anderson are real NBA quality projects with upside, who would be playing more minutes in other teams, or at least, more real minutes in games still in contest. They play in all these blowouts and work on their games, and actually expand leads.

What this means is that the point differential is amplified/boosted/fattened up by the participation of guys who have limited roles in a regular rotation and who Pop is not going to play against good teams/playoff situations, so the point differential tells us how good the team as a whole is compared to everyone else, but it doesn't tell us how good guys 1-9 are against everyone else in a more strict sense. (Excluding the 4th wing, bc Pop still switches him at his whim, and whoever he picks is on a sufficiently short leash that the most he will see is about 8-10 minutes, unless we build a significant lead).

ceperez
01-15-2016, 10:36 PM
We have a very deep team this season with 3 guys who get a small amount of regular rotation minutes, who really are just too good of players for the mix of 2nd/3rd string benches they face in blowout situations: Boban/Simmons/Anderson are real NBA quality projects with upside, who would be playing more minutes in other teams, or at least, more real minutes in games still in contest. They play in all these blowouts and work on their games, and actually expand leads.

What this means is that the point differential is amplified/boosted/fattened up by the participation of guys who have limited roles in a regular rotation and who Pop is not going to play against good teams/playoff situations, so the point differential tells us how good the team as a whole is compared to everyone else, but it doesn't tell us how good guys 1-9 are against everyone else in a more strict sense. (Excluding the 4th wing, bc Pop still switches him at his whim, and whoever he picks is on a sufficiently short leash that the most he will see is about 8-10 minutes, unless we build a significant lead).

There are plenty of teams that kept their starters on the court despite being blown out by the Spurs. One example is the Brooklyn Nets that kept Lopez and Johnson on the court in the final quarter.

In the Cleveland game, it was the bench (although playing against the opponents bench) that was able to create the point spread. Enough of a spread to comfortably win the game in the end.

exstatic
01-16-2016, 01:06 AM

So, because we're deep, the record differential means nothing? There have been lots of teams constructed lots of ways, and no team has ever done this.

exstatic
01-16-2016, 01:08 AM
we played the 76ers on the road. Skews the stats.

No Tim, Manu, Or Kawhi.

SAGirl
01-16-2016, 01:17 AM
So, because we're deep, the record differential means nothing? There have been lots of teams constructed lots of ways, and no team has ever done this.
I am not saying that, I am saying that maybe it doesn't mean what others imply, that it predicts we will win in the playoffs. I am challenging that assumption bc our point differential includes plenty of playtime for guys who are not expected to be a factor in the playoffs or only a minimal factor.

exstatic
01-16-2016, 01:39 AM
I am not saying that, I am saying that maybe it doesn't mean what others imply, that it predicts we will win in the playoffs. I am challenging that assumption bc our point differential includes plenty of playtime for guys who are not expected to be a factor in the playoffs or only a minimal factor.

Cleveland 8-9 didn't win. Detroit 5-6 didn't win. Dallas 2-3 didn't win. It's NOT an absolute predictor. I like our chances, though.

SAGirl
01-16-2016, 02:01 AM
Cleveland 8-9 didn't win. Detroit 5-6 didn't win. Dallas 2-3 didn't win. It's NOT an absolute predictor. I like our chances, though.
Me too. Our depth also has allowed the old legs to stay healthy, probably the most important factor later on..

ceperez
01-16-2016, 06:17 AM

It predicts how good a team is relative to the entire league. Which actually is a very good metric because of the number of samples.

Playoffs are a different beast though because it depends on having a favorable matchup and having a healthy team. Furthermore, if the structure of the team is altered (like shortening the rotation) then the differential metric is less relevant.

Spurs differential metric is mostly due to the +15 bench differential. The have played the bench at least 50% of the time, so you would think to have similar results you do the same thing in the playoffs.

I'm am in the camp that says the Spurs need to leverage their 11 players so as to make it difficult for an opponent to set up an appropriate defense.

I see the Cavs having two defensive weaknesses, Love being not very mobile and too many 6'5" and under guards. The Love problem definitely got exposed, the second problem could be exposed later.

The Warriors are more flexible team with bigger centers and bigger guards. However, Warriors are going to force the small ball lineup just like they did in the finals. They will gamble that the Bigs will score a lot of points but won't be as efficient doing so or exposes a weakness in defense. Spurs can win if they shut down one of their two primary options, that is Curry or Green. I think they can shutdown Green by having him defend a posting up big.

Oh... that defensive rating the Spurs have, tied with 2004 team. That's a team with Nazr Mohammad and Nesterovic. Go figure.

ceperez
01-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Just read this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spurs--evolution-includes-same-brilliant-level-of-dominance-231013698.html?soc_src=mail

It appears in the regular season, the Spurs don't prep that much against a specific opponent. They just play within their own system. Maybe this explains the slow starts. Spurs starters are like, who are these guys?

Also tells you how dominating the Spurs are. Very little scouting necessary to get a 14 point differential.

Brazil
01-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Just read this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spurs--evolution-includes-same-brilliant-level-of-dominance-231013698.html?soc_src=mail

It appears in the regular season, the Spurs don't prep that much against a specific opponent. They just play within their own system. Maybe this explains the slow starts. Spurs starters are like, who are these guys?

Also tells you how dominating the Spurs are. Very little scouting necessary to get a 14 point differential.

thanks bro

interesting read

SAGirl
01-17-2016, 03:11 AM
Spurs differential metric is mostly due to the +15 bench differential. The have played the bench at least 50% of the time, so you would think to have similar results you do the same thing in the playoffs.

I'm am in the camp that says the Spurs need to leverage their 11 players so as to make it difficult for an opponent to set up an appropriate defense.

I kind of agree with you. It is significant that the bench has played 50% of the time and they have the largest differential. We have played some very weak teams in the early schedule (or teams with a lo of injuries to key guys-like the Jazz) so the blowout situations were ideal to develop our rookies and 2nd year player Anderson. But in giving them all that time, these guys have actually developed, gained confidence and come up with games where they made huge contributions to wins (Boban and Simmons some spectacular games, Anderson the more moderate contributions, but he's played against playoff teams and been a positive, that is huge for a young guy who is only 22). Like you say, it will be matchup based, or sometimes you want to force the other coach's hand to deal with Boban for example.

ceperez
01-17-2016, 06:26 AM
I kind of agree with you. It is significant that the bench has played 50% of the time and they have the largest differential. We have played some very weak teams in the early schedule (or teams with a lo of injuries to key guys-like the Jazz) so the blowout situations were ideal to develop our rookies and 2nd year player Anderson. But in giving them all that time, these guys have actually developed, gained confidence and come up with games where they made huge contributions to wins (Boban and Simmons some spectacular games, Anderson the more moderate contributions, but he's played against playoff teams and been a positive, that is huge for a young guy who is only 22). Like you say, it will be matchup based, or sometimes you want to force the other coach's hand to deal with Boban for example.

Spurs really don't have the talent like OKC that can beat their man consistently off the dribble. I predict the offense is going to be more complicated to defend over time. You can have a few players play more kinds of sets, or you can have more players play different kinds of sets. The talent on the Spurs bench gives so many different looks.

Spurs playmakers will have to recognize what kind of players are on the court and adjust the offense to take advantage.

JeffDuncan
01-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Do people remember previous seasons, when it was said the Spurs would "play down" to the competition, and how we would barely eke out a win, against weaker teams?

Check out the point differential this year, which currently stands at 13.9, best in the NBA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/differential-per-game/sort/avgPointsDifference

So, okay, people say the Spurs schedule has been weak. Maybe so. But I'll tell ya, it's refreshing to be blowing out weaker teams, instead of just hanging on to beat them by a fingernail, or sometimes even lose to a weaker team on a last second shot.

It's a lot different to have a weak schedule where you blow out the opposition, like this year, compared to having a weak schedule where you still have to scrape and scramble.

SAGirl
01-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Do people remember previous seasons, when it was said the Spurs would "play down" to the competition, and how we would barely eke out a win, against weaker teams?

Check out the point differential this year, which currently stands at 13.9, best in the NBA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/differential-per-game/sort/avgPointsDifference

So, okay, people say the Spurs schedule has been weak. Maybe so. But I'll tell ya, it's refreshing to be blowing out weaker teams, instead of just hanging on to beat them by a fingernail, or sometimes even lose to a weaker team on a last second shot.

It's a lot different to have a weak schedule where you blow out the opposition, like this year, compared to having a weak schedule where you still have to scrape and scmramble.
Probably one of the most definitive proofs that this team is much better than last season. Even with the nasty December 2014, we lost many other games we should have won. Not this team.

Tully365
01-17-2016, 09:21 PM
This team is amazing--With 5 minutes left in the game, they've had 3 starters hit 0 FGA (Duncan, Parker, Green) and they're still blowing out the Mavs...

Edit: Green just hit his first shot of the game.

Tully365
01-17-2016, 09:28 PM
It could be argued that the Spurs' point differential is skewed the other way because there are so many 4th quarters of blow outs where Kawhi-- their best RPM player-- is relaxing on the bench.

TheGreatYacht
01-17-2016, 09:51 PM
We are blessed

Tully365
01-17-2016, 09:57 PM
There were many people less than a month ago saying Golden State had the #1 seed locked up-- toady the Spurs are 1.5 behind them. Best record in the league & the #1 seed are looking more and more likely.

HI-FI
01-17-2016, 10:00 PM
We are blessed

benefactor
01-17-2016, 10:06 PM
Embarrassment of riches personnel-wise, tbh

Kawhitstorm
01-17-2016, 10:10 PM
There were many people less than a month ago saying Golden State had the #1 seed locked up-- toady the Spurs are 1.5 behind them. Best record in the league & the #1 seed are looking more and more likely.

If the Worriers lose @Cavs/@Bulls the 25th matchup could be for the #1 seed.:wow

look_at_g_shred
01-17-2016, 10:12 PM
We are blessed
I'm way up

midnightpulp
01-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Just gotta stay healthy.

Robz4000
01-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Embarrassment of riches personnel-wise, tbh

The depth of this team is retarded