PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Simmons impact reminds me of young Manu.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 03:37 PM
I remember Manu making a big impact against the lakers in the 03 playoffs. Manu was more decorated and seasoned, but Simmons is showing some similarities. He can hit the timely 3's. He has a super quick twitch penetration step. He dunks with ferocity and is crafty near the basket. He forces fouls with his penetration. He has an above average passing ability. Of course manu is a hall of famer and his will to win and clutchness is legendary. Anyone else get the feeling Simmons can be that secret weapon Manu was back in the day?

ceperez
01-05-2016, 03:44 PM
I remember Manu making a big impact against the lakers in the 03 playoffs. Manu was more decorated and seasoned, but Simmons is showing some similarities. He can hit the timely 3's. He has a super quick twitch penetration step. He dunks with ferocity and is crafty near the basket. He forces fouls with his penetration. He has an above average passing ability. Of course manu is a hall of famer and his will to win and clutchness is legendary. Anyone else get the feeling Simmons can be that secret weapon Manu was back in the day?

He obviously is more athletic than Manu was even in his prime.

What he doesn't have is the cat like reflexes, an outworldly sense of passing angles and the creativity.

Still, his ability to use either hand in traffic and his athleticism... that is special. Dunked 3 times on the young athletic Bucks team... I don't know if that deflated their egos.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 03:50 PM

What he doesn't have is the cat like reflexes, an outworldly sense of passing angles and the creativity.

Still, his ability to use either hand in traffic and his athleticism... that is special. Dunked 3 times on the young athletic Bucks team... I don't know if that deflated their egos.

Of course Manu was/is a special player. I'm with you on the dunks having a recoiling effect on the Bucks. When you get the opposing crowd oohing and ahhing... Another similarity is the timing of that impact. The game was close last night till Simmons busted it open. Manu was always a clutch player. Didn't Simmons contribute in a tight game on Christmas v rockets?

steeledl
I dont know if he is ready to be a game changer in the playoffs this year but I wouldn't be surprised.... His trajectory is pretty incredible to this point in the season.

GSH
This came up in the game thread last night.

It should have died there.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 03:53 PM
This came up in the game thread last night.

It should have died there.

Oh really? No one is replacing Manu. But he is progressing in a very particular and needed way. This team needed another athletic player off the bench. Is Simmons not exactly that?

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 03:54 PM
I dont know if he is ready to be a game changer in the playoffs this year but I wouldn't be surprised.... His trajectory is pretty incredible to this point in the season.

Maybe not but I think it depends on pop. Simmons has shown no fear.

Brazil
01-05-2016, 03:55 PM
:lol hummm... ok

ceperez
01-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Of course Manu was/is a special player. I'm with you on the dunks having a recoiling effect on the Bucks. When you get the opposing crowd oohing and ahhing... Another similarity is the timing of that impact. The game was close last night till Simmons busted it open. Manu was always a clutch player. Didn't Simmons contribute in a tight game on Christmas v rockets?

Simmons with highest +- at 22 tells you his presence busted the game wide open.

He played against the Rockets, but other players the backs of the Rockets.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Simmons with highest +- at 22 tells you his presence busted the game wide open.

He played against the Rockets, but other players the backs of the Rockets.

Well I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all the ins and outs of NBA analytics. I watch and my eyes tell me that he's a player this team hasn't had in a long time. Well as far as someone knew goes. I like what he's doing and hope he keeps developing. He could be someone to lean on unexpedly in those dog fights.

ceperez
01-05-2016, 04:04 PM

The last game was ridiculously impressive. 6-7 shooting, 6-7 FTM.

This against a Bucks team that has a lot of length and athleticism. The kind of team that historically has given the Spurs lots of problems.

Something just clicked that Simmons found the lane wide open. Not sure if you can blame it on poor Bucks defense or on offensive execution. If it is the latter, then the league should be really worried.

Mikeanaro
01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Simmons, the best since MJ hang it up, HE IS READY!.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 04:08 PM
The last game was ridiculously impressive. 6-7 shooting, 6-7 FTM.

This against a Bucks team that has a lot of length and athleticism. The kind of team that historically has given the Spurs lots of problems.

Something just clicked that Simmons found the lane wide open. Not sure if you can blame it on poor Bucks defense or on offensive execution. If it is the latter, then the league should be really worried.

Well I think Sean broke down the first dunk and highlighted 2 bucks being sucked in by lamarcus. This opened the lane wide open. It was a break down on defense. But I think that breakdown is a product of every other player on the floor for the Spurs. There isn't one player you can sag off of except maybe Duncan.

steeledl
01-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Well I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all the ins and outs of NBA analytics. .

What? Someone on Spurs talk who doesn't know everything....

bic50
01-05-2016, 04:11 PM

GSH
01-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Oh really? No one is replacing Manu. But he is progressing in a very particular and needed way. This team needed another athletic player off the bench. Is Simmons not exactly that?

Simmons is contributing more than (nearly) anyone expected. Enjoy that.

Manu had the best court vision I have ever seen - ever. He made passes that nobody else could make. When he didn't have the angle, he would throw a bounce pass with english, so that it would skip left or right when it hit and get to his target in stride for an easy score. He made other players better, right from the start.

He was also much, much more elusive going to the basket. When he was perfectly defended, he would spin and come up on the other side of the basket and leave the defender(s) holding their jocks. When there was just time for one more possession, and the Spurs were down by 1 or 2, Manu would stand out beyond the arc and wait for the clock to run down, and then run through the defense like shit through a goose. Everyone in the arena knew he was coming, and they still couldn't stop him often.

Manu sucked out so many offensive fouls that George Karl actually complained that his long hair flying made it look like he had been hit by a truck. An opposing coach reduced to bitching about a player's long hair? That's a compliment to his D, which was considerably better than Simmons' so far.

If you want to talk about Simmons' "impact" reminding you of someone, it's a lot closer to Derek Anderson. And that's not a bad thing for a guy who worked his way into the lineup, from virtually nowhere. Anderson was quick and athletic, forced the ball up the court and finished well at the rim, played above the rim A LOT, and defended a lot like Simmons at this point in his career.

Simmons impact is just not very similar to Manu at all, except for the fact that all points count. But, hey, fire away. At least you dilute the Apolisoc threads.

No I actually don't follow the statistics for NBA like I would for the NFL. I've actually learned a lot about specifics of the game from ST. But like I said I watch and I enjoy and I lurk for info. But for some reason I felt compelled to start this thread to see if others agreed.

Sorry, then, if I was too harsh. When it came up in the game thread, I just cringed. Shouldn't have blamed that on you. But, as per above, I really don't think there are a lot of similarities in their impact. Not being protective of Manu, I just don't see it.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 04:14 PM
What? Someone on Spurs talk who doesn't know everything....

No I actually don't follow the statistics for NBA like I would for the NFL. I've actually learned a lot about specifics of the game from ST. But like I said I watch and I enjoy and I lurk for info. But for some reason I felt compelled to start this thread to see if others agreed.

GSH
01-05-2016, 04:15 PM
There isn't one player you can sag off of except maybe Duncan.

OMG... have you been watching these teams just stand and leave Duncan alone to shoot? Not in the paint, obviously. But out at about 15 feet, they don't even move in his direction. There was one shot last night, I swear he had a 10 foot cushion in every direction, and they just waited for him to shoot. It made me a little sad.

I hope he starts making them pay for that.

steeledl
01-05-2016, 04:16 PM

Sorry i was being sarcastic. People should be willing to admit to things they don't know. You will get shit on but he does have some similarities to a young manu .

tonight...you
01-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Manu had the best court vision I have ever seen - ever. He made passes that nobody else could make. When he didn't have the angle, he would throw a bounce pass with english, so that it would skip left or right when it hit and get to his target in stride for an easy score. He made other players better, right from the start.

He was also much, much more elusive going to the basket. When he was perfectly defended, he would spin and come up on the other side of the basket and leave the defender(s) holding their jocks. When there was just time for one more possession, and the Spurs were down by 1 or 2, Manu would stand out beyond the arc and wait for the clock to run down, and then run through the defense like shit through a goose. Everyone in the arena knew he was coming, and they still couldn't stop him often.

Manu sucked out so many offensive fouls that George Karl actually complained that his long hair flying made it look like he had been hit by a truck. An opposing coach reduced to bitching about a player's long hair? That's a compliment to his D, which was considerably better than Simmons' so far.

If you want to talk about Simmons' "impact" reminding you of someone, it's a lot closer to Derek Anderson. And that's not a bad thing for a guy who worked his way into the lineup, from virtually nowhere. Anderson was quick and athletic, forced the ball up the court and finished well at the rim, played above the rim A LOT, and defended a lot like Simmons at this point in his career.

Simmons impact is just not very similar to Manu at all, except for the fact that all points count. But, hey, fire away. At least you dilute the Apolisoc threads.
Now that you mention it, I do see a lot of Derek Anderson in Simmons' game. Good call.
When Manu first hit the league, he reminded me of Sarunas Marciulionis- which made me ecstatic back then as he was one of my favorite players to watch and, of course Manu proceeded to blow me away with how he was even better than Marci.
Good times... Poor George Karl still probably has debilitating nightmares of Manu from back then at least twice, or thrice a year.

GSH
01-05-2016, 04:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLHuqDXLLg

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 04:22 PM

Hey I'm not trying to be a pest. So don't take the thread in that light. I made it clear that he wasn't replacing Manu. However after reading your detailed post in regards to Manus playing style it makes the similarities in my mind seem silly. I've been a fan for a long time and have seen so many games. I guess I forgot just how great even the little things Manu did. But my intention was not to compare only to note some basics. That's all.

Now as far as Derek Anderson I remember him as a slasher scorer that could put up 30. If Simmons could keep that trajectory it would be a win either way.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Sorry i was being sarcastic. People should be willing to admit to things they don't know. You will get shit on but he does have some similarities to a young manu .

Nah man were good. I'll defer to the experts on here when it comes to stats. No shame here. I just felt like talking a little ball.

I. Hustle
01-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Haters gonna hate. I am a huge Manu fan. I remember being excited when we signed him. I said the same about Simmons too though and people started flipping their shit. Of course nobody is going to replace Manu as a player but at the same time we will probably never see a player like him again for YEARS if ever. All OP is saying is that he can see similarities in his game/heart.

People think too much into stuff.

Texas_Ranger
01-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Manu was a beast even before he came to the NBA. From 00-03 he was probably the best player in Europe. And I don't agree that Simmons is a better athlete than Manu ever was, cause I guess not a lot of people saw Manu before he played for the Spurs. Let me just tell you that he could also dunk the ball, even better than what we saw last night from Simmons. Yes his slashing to the rim does remind me a little bit of Manu but that's probably it. He still needs to work on his game a lot and I hope he becomes a great player. But I don't think he will ever be more than a role player... and I'd be happy with that tbh.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 04:41 PM
OMG... have you been watching these teams just stand and leave Duncan alone to shoot? Not in the paint, obviously. But out at about 15 feet, they don't even move in his direction. There was one shot last night, I swear he had a 10 foot cushion in every direction, and they just waited for him to shoot. It made me a little sad.

When Duncan's shot is flat it's sad to watch. But Tim is so amazing that he'll just turn around the other end and block your shot standing up then pass it for a nice easy two.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Haters gonna hate. I am a huge Manu fan. I remember being excited when we signed him. I said the same about Simmons too though and people started flipping their shit. Of course nobody is going to replace Manu as a player but at the same time we will probably never see a player like him again for YEARS if ever. All OP is saying is that he can see similarities in his game/heart.

People think too much into stuff.

Maybe be one way to look at it is the spark Simmons brings. To avoid disrespecting Manu. He is a legend. But I like Simmons energy when teams are hanging tough just to go toe to toe with the old legends. Then all of a sudden bam a dose of Kawhi then the bench and some throw downs from Simmons. I love this team!

SAGirl
01-05-2016, 05:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLHuqDXLLg

Never saw that guy play, nor knew who he is, but yea, very similar game to Simmons. Very aggressive to the basket, super athletic, a terror in transition. Definitely see it. Even the athletic spin move in the lane.

The Reckoning
01-05-2016, 05:07 PM
damn this dude dunks he must be a future HOF

sasaint
01-05-2016, 05:14 PM

I do not want to hijack the thread to make it about Duncan, but I do want to comment on his shot's deterioration. Up until this season his money shot has always been that 15-18 foot bank shot from the wing. His lone persistence in practicing that bank shot is partly responsible for his acquiring the nickname, "The Big Fundamental." Very basic and very high percentage. But this season, I don't even see him taking that shot much. BTW, I have not looked up his shot chart for the season much less compared it with his career. Just eyeballin'.

Also, back on point about Manu: people forget how athletic the guy was. In his prime he was capable of making some spectacular slam dunks, along with the rest of his repertoire. To me, Simmons' athleticism reminds me somewhat of a young Manu. Not the court vision, the finesse, the BBIQ. But when you see Simmons' relentless attack on the rim it is reminiscent of Manu.

sasaint
01-05-2016, 05:15 PM
damn this dude dunks he must be a future HOF

Yep, SPURS HOF, tbh. :lol

daslicer
01-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Like another poster said earlier this guy reminds me of Derek Anderson which is not a bad thing considering Anderson was a borderline all-star talent.

SAGirl
01-05-2016, 05:42 PM
I do not want to hijack the thread to make it about Duncan, but I do want to comment on his shot's deterioration. Up until this season his money shot has always been that 15-18 foot bank shot from the wing. His lone persistence in practicing that bank shot is partly responsible for his acquiring the nickname, "The Big Fundamental." Very basic and very high percentage. But this season, I don't even see him taking that shot much. BTW, I have not looked up his shot chart for the season much less compared it with his career. Just eyeballin'.

I am on to your hijack!

I have noticed what you state too. Lately the only things that still seem like a money shot to me are his unique hook shot over a defender in the middle of the paint. It is the only thing that when he takes it I still feel it will go in most of the time. Sometimes he's offbalance, looks like he's falling or what not, but he still surprises getting that to go.

His jumpshot? :depressedI have not seen that bankshot much either. He does have less shots and now he's the one who has to defer, so he's not going to get to his spots very often, but his jumpshot has been missing for more than a season.

tmtcsc
01-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Waaaaaay too early for this sort of comparison in any sense. C'mon man, it was a great game for him last night. Lets see him do this consistently before any sort of comparisons to Manu.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Waaaaaay too early for this sort of comparison in any sense. C'mon man, it was a great game for him last night. Lets see him do this consistently before any sort of comparisons to Manu.

Its been stated over and over. There is no intended comparison. Only that his energy off the bench is something similar to what Manu brought. Damn I take it all back ffs. But like GSH mentioned Derek Anderson IS a solid comparison.

GSH
01-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Hey I'm not trying to be a pest. So don't take the thread in that light. I made it clear that he wasn't replacing Manu. However after reading your detailed post in regards to Manus playing style it makes the similarities in my mind seem silly. I've been a fan for a long time and have seen so many games. I guess I forgot just how great even the little things Manu did. But my intention was not to compare only to note some basics. That's all.

I apologized. I meant it.

And, for the record, I got my ass handed to me about Simmons. I thought he looked so terrible in the pre-season that he couldn't possibly make the team. Then I thought they would send him to Austin as much as they could, and maybe send him in for true garbage time when he was here. I was wrong, huh?

I liked Derek Anderson while he was here. I can't remember the Spurs getting out in transition as much, or as effectively, as they did during the time he was on the floor. He forced the action, and forced the other teams to run a lot more, and he finished strong. Lots of cheap points, and damned exciting to watch. And it doesn't hurt that those plays keep the home town fans energized, and shut the crowd down on away games. That's what I'm seeing out of Simmons, and I'm really happy to see it. That's an extra dimension for this team, and against teams that have a great starting five, but not much of a bench, that kind of play could just wear their asses out.

Did I mention that he's a lot better than I thought he was going to be?

Richie
01-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Way too much hype for Simmons which he can't live up to. Manu was a champion and MVP many many times over before he came to the NBA, in Italy and for Argentina. To start comparing Simmons to him is unfair

GSH
01-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Up until this season his money shot has always been that 15-18 foot bank shot from the wing.

His jumpshot? :depressedI have not seen that bankshot much either. He does have less shots and now he's the one who has to defer, so he's not going to get to his spots very often, but his jumpshot has been missing for more than a season.

I've commented on it here in the past - thought about starting a thread about it last week, but too many threads already.

That bank shot all but disappeared several seasons ago. I don't know why, but I wish he would bring it back. He'll shoot one every now and then, but it used to be his go-to. And for a guy who knows how to shoot it, it's a higher-percentage path to the hoop. Not only that, but that slightly off-angle line gave him a split-second advantage on defenders. I know some will laugh that off, but these guys know where they are on the court, and when the guy they are guarding isn't lined up. They'll read it as a pump fake, and that he's going to pull it down and try to go around them.

The same thing goes for Tony's floater. For a while, he used it with devastating effectiveness. Instead of having to get all the way to the rim, he pulled up in front of the giants, and had a shot up before they even realized it. When he makes those, it forces the bigs to step out some, which makes it easier for him to get around them and take it to the rim.

It's no secret that the Big 3 are aging. I think Tim and Tony could do a lot to step up their games (at least their effectiveness) by bringing back that 15-foot bank shot, and Tony's teardrop. Sounds simple to me. Maybe they're just too hard to shoot at this point in their careers.

sasaint
01-05-2016, 06:32 PM
I've commented on it here in the past - thought about starting a thread about it last week, but too many threads already.

That bank shot all but disappeared several seasons ago. I don't know why, but I wish he would bring it back. He'll shoot one every now and then, but it used to be his go-to. And for a guy who knows how to shoot it, it's a higher-percentage path to the hoop. Not only that, but that slightly off-angle line gave him a split-second advantage on defenders. I know some will laugh that off, but these guys know where they are on the court, and when the guy they are guarding isn't lined up. They'll read it as a pump fake, and that he's going to pull it down and try to go around them.

The same thing goes for Tony's floater. For a while, he used it with devastating effectiveness. Instead of having to get all the way to the rim, he pulled up in front of the giants, and had a shot up before they even realized it. When he makes those, it forces the bigs to step out some, which makes it easier for him to get around them and take it to the rim.

It's no secret that the Big 3 are aging. I think Tim and Tony could do a lot to step up their games (at least their effectiveness) by bringing back that 15-foot bank shot, and Tony's teardrop. Sounds simple to me. Maybe they're just too hard to shoot at this point in their careers.

Tony was going to his patented teardrop early in the year, but the results were demoralizing!

Also, your memory is much better than mine. I didn't realize it had been several seasons since we have seen much of the bank shot.

(Personal aside: back in the peach basket days when I played, coaches insisted we learn that bank shot. Conversely, if we had tried some fundamentally unsound teardrop, we would have been riding the pines immediately! :lol)

SouthernFried
01-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Helicopter Jones.

I'm old.

sasaint
01-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Helicopter Jones.

I'm old.

Man you must be really old! I don't even remember him, and I have been posting about lacing up my Converse All-Stars to play hoops! :lol

Kool Bob Love
01-05-2016, 07:30 PM

From Downtown
01-05-2016, 07:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOrIAJKpQKI

timtonymanu
01-05-2016, 07:34 PM

:wow

NASpurs
01-05-2016, 07:43 PM

Holy shit :lol

Kawhitstorm
01-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Never saw that guy play, nor knew who he is, but yea, very similar game to Simmons. Very aggressive to the basket, super athletic, a terror in transition. Definitely see it. Even the athletic spin move in the lane.

Derek Anderson was a shooter who had above average athleticism for a combo guard. Jordan Clarkson of the Lakers reminds me of Derek Anderson. Simmons is more like Antonio Daniels if we are talking about former Spurs.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 07:46 PM
I apologized. I meant it.

And, for the record, I got my ass handed to me about Simmons. I thought he looked so terrible in the pre-season that he couldn't possibly make the team. Then I thought they would send him to Austin as much as they could, and maybe send him in for true garbage time when he was here. I was wrong, huh?

I liked Derek Anderson while he was here. I can't remember the Spurs getting out in transition as much, or as effectively, as they did during the time he was on the floor. He forced the action, and forced the other teams to run a lot more, and he finished strong. Lots of cheap points, and damned exciting to watch. And it doesn't hurt that those plays keep the home town fans energized, and shut the crowd down on away games. That's what I'm seeing out of Simmons, and I'm really happy to see it. That's an extra dimension for this team, and against teams that have a great starting five, but not much of a bench, that kind of play could just wear their asses out.

Did I mention that he's a lot better than I thought he was going to be?

Man its all good! This is why I love Spurs Talk as a resource. When you sift through all the crap you can really find some great info. I would've never remembered or even thought to put JSimms style next Derek Anderson's. I guess Manu has just been that guy for so long that as soon as the next athletic player came along with some energy off the bench it's easy to look at him that way. Even though that's not what I was trying to convey. But hey if JSimms only turns out to be a spark off the bench throughout then Ill take it. He doesn't need to be Derek or Manu or anyone. Just be the hammer!!

My last memory of Derek Anderson was that nasty foul against the Mavs. It was pretty much our offense down the drain. Fuck the Mavs!

Kawhitstorm
01-05-2016, 07:49 PM

He's from Houston so it's a given he hates the Spurs (b/c of the Rockets rivalry). Paul Pierce grew up as a Lakers fan who hated the Celtics only to play for them & beat the Lakers in the Finals.:lol It's not like he singled out a player & called him out like Kobe's teammates.:lol

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 07:56 PM
He's from Houston so it's a given he hates the Spurs (b/c of the Rockets rivalry). Paul Pierce grew up as a Lakers fan who hated the Celtics only to play for them & beat the Lakers in the Finals.:lol It's not like he singled out a player & called him out like Kobe's teammates.:lol

I was just gonna post something similar. :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIZTnxjUYAATv_0.jpg:large

SAGirl
01-05-2016, 07:57 PM
lol
This guy has a troll game!
:lol

bic50
01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
I was just gonna post something similar. :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIZTnxjUYAATv_0.jpg:large

:lol that awkward moment when he meets kobe.

ElNono
01-05-2016, 08:01 PM
What Manu had besides the athleticism and fearlessness, is that he's incredibly crafty... eurostep, ball fakes, nutmegs, it's been always there. Love what I see from Simms, but it's too early for this comparison, IMO

Kawhitstorm
01-05-2016, 08:02 PM
:lol that awkward moment when he meets kobe.

RGMCSE
01-05-2016, 08:06 PM

:lol Kobe getting shitted on over and over...

SouthernFried
01-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Man you must be really old! I don't even remember him, and I have been posting about lacing up my Converse All-Stars to play hoops! :lol

Yeah, I remember when those things came out. Canvas shoes with laces...who'd a thunk it?

Actually, dredging up the past reminded me of another Anderson who played with Spurs who reminds me more of Kyle. Willie. I liked him too :)

r0drig0lac
01-05-2016, 08:08 PM

damn

Mikeanaro
01-05-2016, 08:11 PM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Shocked-Fan-After-Undertaker-Loss-to-Brock-Lesnar.gif

bic50
01-05-2016, 08:16 PM

:lol

100%duncan
01-05-2016, 08:23 PM

:wow

SpurPadre
01-05-2016, 08:39 PM

Sorry, then, if I was too harsh. When it came up in the game thread, I just cringed. Shouldn't have blamed that on you. But, as per above, I really don't think there are a lot of similarities in their impact. Not being protective of Manu, I just don't see it.

Agree with all your points. I also thought of Derek Anderson being the proper comparison in Simmons' case. Hope he stays longer than Anderson that's for sure.

sasaint
01-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I remember when those things came out. Canvas shoes with laces...who'd a thunk it?

Actually, dredging up the past reminded me of another Anderson who played with Spurs who reminds me more of Kyle. Willie. I liked him too :)

Yeah, I remember Willie - lanky guy with kinda slithery moves. Forgotten semi-star of the past.

Proxy
01-05-2016, 08:59 PM
damn, great troll thread tbh

TheDoctor
01-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Such a small World after all.

cutewizard
01-06-2016, 01:09 AM

totally agree with you man,

the MJ of the Spurs

cutewizard
01-06-2016, 01:09 AM
JSimms is the MJ of the Spurs

cutewizard
01-06-2016, 01:10 AM
Kyle Anderson is the Larry Bird/Magic Johnson of the Spurs,

the point forward

cutewizard
01-06-2016, 01:12 AM
But Boban Marjanovic is the Sabonis/Yao Ming/Ralph Sampson/Wilt Chamberlain of the Spurs

cutewizard
01-06-2016, 01:17 AM
Like another poster said earlier this guy reminds me of Derek Anderson which is not a bad thing considering Anderson was a borderline all-star talent.

JSimmons is better than Anderson.............

UNT Eagles 2016
01-06-2016, 04:14 AM
Such a small World after all.

thank you interwebz for that... :pctoss

cd98
01-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Simmons has too many defensive lapses and bad turnovers to be compared to Manu. Remember that they both went into the NBA at about the same age. Yet Manu was light years ahead of him in terms of scoring, passing, and defense. Though I do agree that Simmons is a better dunker. I hope he gets picked for the dunk contest. Given the Spurs rep for non-dunking, it would be funny to see a Spur compete. Even better if Simmons went full court for the Jordan/Dr J free throw dunk and then just laid it in.

thiste
01-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Simmons is the best penetrator on the team.

TheDoctor
01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Simmons is the best penetrator on the team.
Enrique is the best penetrator. Just ask Erin.

hater
01-06-2016, 10:08 AM
First year Evita was no superstar folks.

This Simmons >>>> 1st year Evita

Old School 44
01-06-2016, 10:16 AM
With Tony out again tonight, it will nice to see if Simmons can build on his last performance.

MB20
01-06-2016, 10:53 AM
First year Evita was no superstar folks.

This Simmons >>>> 1st year Evita

No superstar, but the impact was evident.
Pop played rookie Manu 27.5 mpg in the playoffs (24games) for a reason.

hater
01-06-2016, 10:59 AM
I do agree. Manu did produce in his first playoffs. So did SJax btw, even more so at times.

I was mainly talking about regular season. I believe so far Simmons looks much better than Manu.

Of course things could change. Playoffs might be a different animal.

DAF86
01-06-2016, 12:03 PM
I do agree. Manu did produce in his first playoffs. So did SJax btw, even more so at times.

I was mainly talking about regular season. I believe so far Simmons looks much better than Manu.

Of course things could change. Playoffs might be a different animal.

So Simmos, in the 4 or 5 games he has had of meaningul minutes this season, has already proved to be better than Manu in the 2003 reg season? mmh ok :lol

kaji157
01-06-2016, 12:32 PM

I donīt think so, defensively was Ginobiliīs most important impact as a rookie, he ended playing in place of Bowen it that years finals against the nets as Top of the key defender.

Offensively i also donīt think so, Simmons offense relies heavily on his athleticism, Manu didnīt (thatīs why his production per minute is almost the same now), also young Ginobili would play Point Guard many times because Parker had Playoff Fear, i donīt see Simmons with the timing to run a team.

Also Simmons passes seems more than Tonyīs than Manuīs once he penetrates and kicks to a teammate, Manu passes were most likely from outside to inside, while Simmons is all the way around or inside-inside.

About the clutchness, maybe weīll never now.

picnroll
01-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Ideally a saner Vernon Maxwell.

spursistan
01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
lettuce not get carried away, tbh

urunobili
01-06-2016, 01:19 PM

Nope. Prime Manu's athleticism was elite. At best, Simmons athleticism right now matches prime Manu. Never seen Simmons dunk on three guys neither catch roof like alley oops from Jax... mean WAY up there the way Manu did...

GSH
01-06-2016, 01:37 PM

See... we can agree on stuff. Manu had good timing, and put himself in the right position. But Simmons has springs that Manu couldn't equal. I assume that's what you mean by athletic? That's no knock on Manu - Simmons just looks like he's coming off a trampoline sometimes. He has the luxury of throwing down sometimes, when Manu would have just taken it soft off the glass.

Damn right it has an effect on the other teams. But it's probably good for him to remember that it can also piss them off. Derek Anderson's regular season in SA ended with him getting swatted out of the air in Seattle. Yeah it was dirty. But that doesn't change the fact that he had to leave the game, and was never the same after that.

Mr Bones
01-06-2016, 01:42 PM
I was laughing to myself watching that Bucks games imagining opposing coaches & scouts watching Simmons and thinking, "Jesus, now there's another thing we have to worry about when we play the Spurs?"

GSH
01-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I was laughing to myself watching that Bucks games imagining opposing coaches & scouts watching Simmons and thinking, "Jesus, now there's another thing we have to worry about when we play the Spurs?"

That, right there. That's why I think he'll keep getting minutes, because he brings something that nobody else on the roster brings.

The fact that he's drawing a lot of fouls says that they're finding it hard to stop him once he smells the basket. FTA's and FTA/36 (or per 100 possessions) are stats that people should pay more attention to. I think the Spurs are probably still dead last in the league in FTA's - haven't checked in a bit, but they were last. Those extra freebies add up over a game, and over a season. In the playoffs, they're priceless. The two Spurs with the highest FTA/36 are... that's right, Simmons and Boban. And Simmons has definitely played enough minutes that it isn't a statistical anomaly. He's also got one of the highest FT% on the team, so he's converting the attempts to points.

The other thing about drawing FTA's at a high rate is that, if they have to pay enough attention to a guy to keep fouling him, it means that his guy can't commit to helping anywhere else.

I know it's a pet stat of mine, but keep an eye on it. If Simmons can keep forcing defenses to foul him like this (and bring down the turnovers a little bit), he's going to make it harder and harder to keep him off the floor.

lilbthebasedgod
01-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Simmons has too many defensive lapses and bad turnovers to be compared to Manu.
He said young manu. These are definitely things that young manu did too.

Not really manu level imo. He can be good. He's not dynamic like manu.

Simmons seems to have an idea of what to do before he gets the ball and just does it. Manu was a lot "crazier" of a player.

hater
01-06-2016, 03:12 PM
So Simmos, in the 4 or 5 games he has had of meaningul minutes this season, has already proved to be better than Manu in the 2003 reg season? mmh ok :lol

On a per basis. Yes. Yes he has

DAF86
01-06-2016, 04:08 PM
On a per basis. Yes. Yes he has

Are you really going to make me search for the stats? You're lucky I'm on my phone right now. :lol

ceperez
01-06-2016, 04:09 PM
That, right there. That's why I think he'll keep getting minutes, because he brings something that nobody else on the roster brings.

The fact that he's drawing a lot of fouls says that they're finding it hard to stop him once he smells the basket. FTA's and FTA/36 (or per 100 possessions) are stats that people should pay more attention to. I think the Spurs are probably still dead last in the league in FTA's - haven't checked in a bit, but they were last. Those extra freebies add up over a game, and over a season. In the playoffs, they're priceless. The two Spurs with the highest FTA/36 are... that's right, Simmons and Boban. And Simmons has definitely played enough minutes that it isn't a statistical anomaly. He's also got one of the highest FT% on the team, so he's converting the attempts to points.

The other thing about drawing FTA's at a high rate is that, if they have to pay enough attention to a guy to keep fouling him, it means that his guy can't commit to helping anywhere else.

I know it's a pet stat of mine, but keep an eye on it. If Simmons can keep forcing defenses to foul him like this (and bring down the turnovers a little bit), he's going to make it harder and harder to keep him off the floor.

I do like the fact that he can get to the foul line. Dwayne Wade got to the foul line a lot, and in the process won him a championship with the Heat against the Mavs.

Very useful skill come playoff time.

hater
01-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Are you really going to make me search for the stats? You're lucky I'm on my phone right now. :lol

Manu 13pts 3.5ast 4rbs 44% 35%3pt

Simmons 16.4pts 4ast 4.7rbs 52% 41%3pt

you were saying??????

DAF86
01-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Manu 13pts 3.5ast 4rbs 44% 35%3pt

Simmons 16.4pts 4ast 4.7rbs 52% 41%3pt

you were saying??????

The fuck did you get that from? And what's that? Per 48? Of course your per 48 numbers will be inflated playing most of your minutes against scrubs in garbage time. :lol

hater
01-06-2016, 09:17 PM
per 36. same stats for both players.

uh???? Didn't Manu come off the bench vs scrubs as well? you make no damn sense :lol

Pocho La Pantera
01-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Hater being stupid as usual. Nothing new under the sun.

DAF86
01-06-2016, 11:02 PM
per 36. same stats for both players.

uh???? Didn't Manu come off the bench vs scrubs as well? you make no damn sense :lol

Not against 3rd stringers on garbage time, tbh. Besides, different playing styles and eras. Today is easier for spurs wings to get theirs.

hater
01-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Still simmons is producing at a more effective rate than Manu year 1 in regular season.

Just stating the facts

Cklbmk
01-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Whats being ignored is that Manu didnt know the system and had Pop pushback year 1. Simmons has been groomed for 2 years already

hooperflash
01-07-2016, 09:05 AM
They play for the same team.

spursistan
02-19-2016, 01:02 AM
crofl......

This dude has been sneakily falling off cliff back to his D-league status..

TheGreatYacht
02-19-2016, 01:06 AM
His turnovers remind me of Manu :cry

Still better than Green tho