PDA

View Full Version : 527 point differential in 37 games

spurs10
01-07-2016, 05:20 AM
....is the greatest in the history of the NBA. Wow...pretty impressive. If you are not enjoying this ride, you are missing out!
:flag:

Fireball
01-07-2016, 05:22 AM
Spurs have the 2nd most difficult schedule of all teams ahead of them ... the point differential per game will take a dip most surely

Uriel
01-07-2016, 05:37 AM
The +527 point differential has been amazing, but it has been inflated by a weak, home-heavy schedule, including playing multiple oppopnents with injured starters and / or playing on few days of rest.

That said, it has also been deflated by Pop resting multiple starters and overplaying the third-unit.

BanditHiro
01-07-2016, 05:37 AM
Spurs have the 2nd most difficult schedule of all teams ahead of them ... the point differential per game will take a dip most surely

probably not. the west has just been pretty mediocre. GSW is bumping up that stat

cutewizard
01-07-2016, 05:50 AM
whats the full schedule please?

Mal
01-07-2016, 06:43 AM
The +527 point differential has been amazing, but it has been inflated by a weak, home-heavy schedule, including playing multiple oppopnents with injured starters and / or playing on few days of rest.

That said, it has also been deflated by Pop resting multiple starters and overplaying the third-unit.

It`s always home heavy for Spurs at the beginning, since there is Rodeo Road Trip with 10+ away games

Seventyniner
01-07-2016, 07:31 AM

According to the graphic shown on the Jazz feed of last night's game, the Warriors have the 2nd-highest opponent win% for the rest of the season and the Spurs were 13th.

Fireball
01-07-2016, 07:56 AM
According to the graphic shown on the Jazz feed of last night's game, the Warriors have the 2nd-highest opponent win% for the rest of the season and the Spurs were 13th.

that sounds implausible to me ....

exstatic
01-07-2016, 08:00 AM
It`s always home heavy for Spurs at the beginning, since there is Rodeo Road Trip with 10+ away games

Longest RRT in history was 9 games. It's 8 this year, with the one week ASGB after the first two.

Mel_13
01-07-2016, 08:01 AM
that sounds implausible to me ....

Yeah, 11 of the 45 remaining games are against the Dubs, Cavs, and Thunder.

Fireball
01-07-2016, 08:03 AM

+ more road games ... if you factor that in it becomes more difficult ...

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-07-2016, 08:09 AM

9 of 45 against these 3.

Mel_13
01-07-2016, 08:11 AM
9 of 45 against these 3.

You're right. Not enough caffeine yet.

exstatic
01-07-2016, 08:13 AM

Impossible. The MAX games we could ever play against those teams at the BEGINNING of the season is 10, 2 vs CL, and 4 each against GS and OKC as conf rivals. We've already played OKC once. That leaves 9 games against those 3 teams.

edit: too late with this. :)

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-07-2016, 08:15 AM
You're right. Not enough caffeine yet.

Still, a lot of games against good competition, especially adding the remaining Clippers games too. But then the Dubs are also yet to play the Spurs 4 times, Cavs and Thunder 3(?) times.

In any case, the Spurs need these games against the Dubs to prepare, try things against them and see what works. I think this year's schedule has been great for this particular Spurs team.

Mel_13
01-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Still, a lot of games against good competition, especially adding the remaining Clippers games too. But then the Dubs are also yet to play the Spurs 4 times, Cavs and Thunder 3(?) times.

In any case, the Spurs need these games against the Dubs to prepare, try things against them and see what works. I think this year's schedule has been great for this particular Spurs team.

Agreed. Such a contrast with December, 2014. They never fully recovered from that brutal month. This year, they head towards the tougher portion of the schedule healthy, rested, and on a roll.

Mel_13
01-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Impossible. The MAX games we could ever play against those teams at the BEGINNING of the season is 10, 2 vs CL, and 4 each against GS and OKC as conf rivals. We've already played OKC once. That leaves 9 games against those 3 teams.

edit: too late with this. :)

:lol

Yeah, my caffeine deprived brain added 4+3+2 and came up with 11.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Like I said, I really like this team, I don't love it but I really like it... only reason I don't love it is because the damn Dubs are in the way, for now.

DJR210
01-07-2016, 08:38 AM
:lmao 70 bench points last night

UNT Eagles 2016
01-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Agreed. Such a contrast with December, 2014. They never fully recovered from that brutal month. This year, they head towards the tougher portion of the schedule healthy, rested, and on a roll.

Actually we did start to recover from that brutal month... we would have done so fully if only we had beaten the damn Pelicans :lol that loss will haunt us for a long time.

Fireball
01-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Actually we did start to recover from that brutal month... we would have done so fully if only we had beaten the damn Pelicans :lol that loss will haunt us for a long time.

Losing in NO to a team that needed to win the game to get into the playoffs is no shame ... bad losses to the Knicks, Nets, Pistons, Jazz or those two triple overtime losses were the real neckbreakers

exstatic
01-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Losing in NO to a team that needed to win the game to get into the playoffs is no shame ... bad losses to the Knicks, Nets, Pistons, Jazz or those two triple overtime losses were the real neckbreakers

Benson is still reaping karma from that game. He told Monte that he had to win to keep his job, and then fired him anyway. Bad form.

hater
01-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Everyone starts back at ZERO in the playoffs.

houston spurs fan
01-07-2016, 09:17 AM
No we didn't, Ginobili wasn't the same after the Memphis OT games...

thiste
01-07-2016, 11:17 AM
I couldn't have wished for a better start of the season. Best record of the franchise, and we've been able to massively rest our old 3 and give playing time to our young players who desperately needed it. They're better for it, gelled well and I'm very confident for the back half of the reg season.

BatManu20
01-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Long season.

boutons_deux
01-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Long season.

... and the schedule of final 4 weeks will be brutal.

SpursFan86
01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Long season.

I agree...but at the same time, you don't just fluke your way into being this dominant for almost 40 games, regardless of how easy your schedule might be. If you look at all the other teams mentioned in these "best point differentials after X games" lists, they're practically all historic teams who either won the Finals or at least made the Finals.

Our point differential will dip, obviously, but assuming we stay healthy, I'm fairly confident that this will be the best regular season in Spurs history. The real question will be whether they can carry that into the playoffs where they'll likely have to play two other amazing teams in OKC/GS.

Cry Havoc
01-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Yes a difficult schedule is coming up.

However, this team is still improving by pretty substantial margins. LMA is just now getting to the point where Pop can rest him knowing it won't destroy his flow and chemistry with the team. His rise as a playmaker and his comfort level as the go-to big man on this team has augmented Kawhi's historic play beyond anything we could have expected, especially in the first 10 games of the season when Harlem & Krew were already set to tear down the Spurs for such a terrible acquisition. :lol

Right now, this team is playing at about 80% of capacity, IMO. Aldridge needs a little more burn to really become a consistent animal on offense, West & Co. on the bench need to get a few things sorted to figure out how they're going to operate, and Danny Green needs to go to the fucking Bermuda Triangle or wherever he decided to leave his shot.

If those three things happen, and the Spurs stay healthy, we could actually become significantly better on offense and maybe even better on defense, since good offensive possessions limit transition opportunities for the other team.

Overall we are playing extremely well, and FAR ahead of where I would have put us even with this light schedule. The teams we play are still NBA caliber and even bad teams have beaten us in the past.

31-6 with space to get better. All signs are pointing to continued dominance with perhaps a few more losses.

67-15 is very reasonable with either a 2 or 1 seed depending on GSW's health.

And I wouldn't bet against this team in the playoffs. They will be historically tough to beat in 7 games if all things keep moving the way they currently are.

703 Spurz
01-07-2016, 12:04 PM

21 at home, 16 on the road. Not really that home-heavy. Miami has played 23 games at home and 12 on the road. That's home-heavy.

dabom
01-07-2016, 12:06 PM
We also play better after the ASG even if the games are harder. The Spurs pick it up a notch. We will come real close to 66 this year.

I. Hustle
01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
21 at home, 16 on the road. Not really that home-heavy. Miami has played 23 games at home and 12 on the road. That's home-heavy.

two games more is home heavy?

Cry Havoc
01-07-2016, 02:15 PM

Percentage wise? It really is. Playing almost 100% more games at home than on the road is kind of ridiculous.

SAGirl
01-07-2016, 02:34 PM
I agree...but at the same time, you don't just fluke your way into being this dominant for almost 40 games, regardless of how easy your schedule might be. If you look at all the other teams mentioned in these "best point differentials after X games" lists, they're practically all historic teams who either won the Finals or at least made the Finals.

Our point differential will dip, obviously, but assuming we stay healthy, I'm fairly confident that this will be the best regular season in Spurs history. The real question will be whether they can carry that into the playoffs where they'll likely have to play two other amazing teams in OKC/GS.

I agree with you completely:

With last season's team, there could have been one or two losses tacked in there already in our season of the headscratching kind. We could not even afford to rest TD, that is how heavily we relied on him still. The games he rested, were surefire losses, not like this season, where we have won games without TD. If ppl can't see this team's depht is better they are blind.

Would you rather have Anderson/Boban getting minutes when other rest? Or you want Daye/Ayers back? How about Marco? Do you want Simmons or Marco? I am taking Simmons and leaving Marco to ElNono and TD 21.

Then obviously Lamarcus > Tiago and D.West > Baynes... and those two guys Tiago/Baynes were very good at their roles. We just have much much better players now overall 1-13.

The only place we lost is Ray < Cojo, but Cojo had a minor role when everyone is healthy and Ray is serviceable.

ceperez
01-07-2016, 02:56 PM

With last season's team, there could have been one or two losses tacked in there already in our season of the headscratching kind. We could not even afford to rest TD, that is how heavily we relied on him still. The games he rested, were surefire losses, not like this season, where we have won games without TD. If ppl can't see this team's depht is better they are blind.

Would you rather have Anderson/Boban getting minutes when other rest? Or you want Daye/Ayers back? How about Marco? Do you want Simmons or Marco? I am taking Simmons and leaving Marco to ElNono and TD 21.

Then obviously Lamarcus > Tiago and D.West > Baynes... and those two guys Tiago/Baynes were very good at their roles. We just have much much better players now overall 1-13.

The only place we lost is Ray < Cojo, but Cojo had a minor role when everyone is healthy and Ray is serviceable.

The bench is so much better this year than last year. There's no argument here anymore.

West > Baynes ... you can't even argue this. West arguable isn't a great paint protector, but you can also the same with Baynes who got consistently dunked on by Griffin.

Diaw (much more aggressive posting up this year and more aggressive taking the 3). Also seems fatter this year.

Simmons > Belinelli Belinelli definitely a better 3 point shooter, but if you factor in how many times Simmons has been on the line and the his defense. I don't think you can claim Belinelli is better. Note also that both players have the same height.

Manu (Seems less injury prone so far)

Mills (Seems to be better passing this year).

Now we haven't even included Boban and Anderson! In fact even Butler is better than Ayres and Reggie Williams combined!

Spurs have too many weapons this year, in fact, they play better with some starters suited up!

This article says it all: http://stats.nba.com/featured/spurs_bench_on_another_level_2016_01_07.html bench has a +15.6 NET RATING!

Cry Havoc
01-07-2016, 03:02 PM

You could make a pretty favorable comparison between this team and our 2005 squad.

Parker >> Parker
Manu >>> Green
Bowen <<<<< Leonard
Duncan >> Duncan
Nazr <<<<< LMA

Beno <<< Patty
Barry << Manu
Robinson (lol) <<< Simmons
Horry = West (probably not in the playoffs sadly)
Rasho <<< Diaw
(I'm a little high on Beno/Barry, as I have fond memories of watching them play but admit that they really weren't that great)

Our bench is 2 tiers above what it was in 2005 and our starting 5 are pretty comparable. The big difference is that 2005 team, as great as they were, had a lot of guys that were holes/space fillers. There's not a single player on the Spurs getting regular minutes that couldn't see a TON of minutes on nearly any other team in the NBA. 1-9 this team is fucking loaded and if Simmons continues to prove himself, we basically have two starting 5s that we can constantly barrage on teams with.

I would say offensively the 2005 squad was a little better for now because Duncan Manu and Parker were all guys that could drop 40 on you at any point, but the potential for this 2016 squad might exceed that of our 2014 team.

Defensively, even though Duncan isn't in his prime anymore, he's still a monster, and Kawhi Leonard is easily the best defender the Spurs have ever had outside of Timmy and David. I think Kawhi has a legitimate shot to be the best defensive wing of all-time.

How many games would a team of Patty Manu Simmons West and Diaw win? They could probably get 30-35 without too much of a stretch. :lol That's insane for a 2nd unit.

SAGirl
01-07-2016, 03:18 PM
This article says it all: http://stats.nba.com/featured/spurs_bench_on_another_level_2016_01_07.html bench has a +15.6 NET RATING!

thanks for sharing that Ceperez!!!!!
What an eye opener. That is even counting that our bench has seen guys in and out. Simmons emerged for us recently, but we had some Butler and Anderson in November. We also started giving more time to Boban as recently as December. That is outstanding.

spurs10
01-07-2016, 07:36 PM
The bench is on fire! :flag:

cjw
01-08-2016, 01:52 AM
I still count one game Spurs could have easily lost that they won (Mavs), and only one game they lost they had no chance of winning down stretch (Pels). Pretty damn impressive.

Galileo
01-08-2016, 02:20 AM
After you factor in strength of schedule including home/road, the Spurs still have the best SRS of all time, here are the 9 teams better than +10:

1 2015-16 SAS 12.46
2 1970-71 MIL* 11.91
3 1995-96 CHI* 11.80
4 1971-72 LAL* 11.65
5 1971-72 MIL* 10.70
6 1996-97 CHI* 10.70
7 2015-16 GSW 10.53
8 1991-92 CHI* 10.07
9 2014-15 GSW*10.01

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&c1stat=srs&c1comp=gt&c1val=10&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs

Also consider that the Spurs are a lot better now than in November because the new players have acclimated. The point differential should remain the best of all time.

* Spurs need a MOV of just +6.5 the rest of season to end up at +10.

* Spurs need a MOV of +10 rest of season to break the all-time record set by Milwaukee Bucks.

dabom
01-08-2016, 02:22 AM
Hit me with some stats quick.

Galileo
01-08-2016, 02:30 AM
Hit me with some stats quick.

SRS since Tim Duncan entered league, teams above +1, this will blow your f*ck*ng mind:

1 1998 2016 SAS 6.47
2 1998 2016 DAL 3.00
3 1998 2016 LAL 2.69
4 1998 2016 PHO 2.14
5 1998 2016 HOU 1.83
6 1998 2016 MIA 1.58
7 1998 2016 OKC 1.57
8 1998 2016 UTA 1.54
9 1998 2016 IND 1.27
10 1998 2016 POR 1.09

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=1998&year_max=&franch_id=&c1stat=srs&c1comp=gt&c1val=1&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs

Someone tell me Tim Duncan isn't the greatest winner in sports history.

dabom
01-08-2016, 02:32 AM
That's good. :lol

Galileo
Talk about an outlier.

objective
I put in another thread that I expect the differential to come down and quite a bit too.

But I do agree that the team's potential to improve is very high. My only gripe now would be I'd like to see Boban get situational rotation minutes against big backup centers that can dominate West like Noah or Kanter. But I'm pretty happy that Simmons has been given some opportunities, and Aldridge should be much better the second half compared to the first half. That wizards loss, or add least the open look at the end, was all due to lack of chemistry and experience in the system.

jsandiego
01-08-2016, 01:48 PM
At some point I think the additional margin of victory is attributed to how well Boban and the 3rd Unit / Garbage Time players have performed. In years' past, if we were up 20 after 3Q, and our scrubs came in, we'd end up with an 11 point win. Now Boban and Simmons came in with energy, and the lead goes up to 25 or 30.

Boban has a +2.1 per game plus/minus, with most of those coming in 4Q blowout minutes. We are elite 1-13 and it's amazing. But at some point (+10, +12?), the margin of victory turns into how well your 3rd unit is playing, which isn't indicative of how you'll perform in the playoffs when those guys are towel waiving.

Seventyniner
01-08-2016, 04:37 PM
SRS since Tim Duncan entered league, teams above +1, this will blow your f*ck*ng mind:

1 1998 2016 SAS 6.47
2 1998 2016 DAL 3.00
3 1998 2016 LAL 2.69
4 1998 2016 PHO 2.14
5 1998 2016 HOU 1.83
6 1998 2016 MIA 1.58
7 1998 2016 OKC 1.57
8 1998 2016 UTA 1.54
9 1998 2016 IND 1.27
10 1998 2016 POR 1.09

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=1998&year_max=&franch_id=&c1stat=srs&c1comp=gt&c1val=1&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs

Someone tell me Tim Duncan isn't the greatest winner in sports history.

Good find. I bet Dallas only passed the Lakers last year, maybe 2 years ago. I'm also surprised to see Houston that high.

Is there a way to tell where LeBron's Cleveland years would rank?

jsandiego
01-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Good find. I bet Dallas only passed the Lakers last year, maybe 2 years ago. I'm also surprised to see Houston that high.

Is there a way to tell where LeBron's Cleveland years would rank?

They are on the list, but not close to the top.

For LeBron's 4 years with the Heat Superteam, they were 3rd behind Spurs and OKC. So I doubt his numbers compare to Duncan's for his entire career, no matter the team he was on.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=2011&year_max=2014&franch_id=&c1stat=srs&c1comp=gt&c1val=1&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs

Seventyniner
01-08-2016, 06:08 PM
They are on the list, but not close to the top.

For LeBron's 4 years with the Heat Superteam, they were 3rd behind Spurs and OKC. So I doubt his numbers compare to Duncan's for his entire career, no matter the team he was on.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=2011&year_max=2014&franch_id=&c1stat=srs&c1comp=gt&c1val=1&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs

Thanks for finding that. I agree, if LeBron's Heat teams were behind the Spurs, he can't compare to Duncan for his whole career in total SRS.

703 Spurz
01-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Uh, yeah. When I wrote that, the Spurs had played 5 more home games than on the road. Miami had played 11 more home games than on the road.

That's a decent sized difference. You disagree?