PDA

View Full Version : Suspect in Pa. cop ambush said he acted 'in the name of Islam,' police confirm

tlongII
01-08-2016, 01:44 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/08/suspect-in-pa-cop-ambush-said-acted-in-name-islam-police-confirm.html?intcmp=hpbt1

The man caught in surveillance footage ambushing a Philadelphia officer in a squad car, shooting him multiple times, claimed he acted "in the name of Islam," police said at a news conference Friday.

The suspect's gun had been stolen from police in 2013, Commissioner Richard Ross said.

The man wore "Muslim garb," a law enforcement source told Fox News. The source would not elaborate. Local media identified the suspect as 30-year-old Edward Archer.

Officer Jessie Hartnett was in stable condition at a hospital, police said. The suspect fired a total of 13 shots Thursday night, Ross said. Three bullets struck the officer in his left arm.

"We are working side-by-side with the Philadelphia Police Department. They remain the lead agency as we work together to gather information about the attack on their officer," the FBI announced.

Hartnett returned fire, hitting his attacker at least three times, Ross added.

"This is absolutely one of the scariest things I've ever seen," Ross said at a news conference a few hours later. "This guy tried to execute the police officer. The police officer had no idea he was coming."

The suspect ran away, but was quickly apprehended by other officers. There was no immediate word on the suspect's condition.

In a statement, Governor Tom Wolf said, "This alleged intentional act of violence against an officer seeking to help a fellow citizen is horrifying and has no place in Pennsylvania."

Jim Kenney, who is in his first week as mayor of the nation's fifth largest city, said, "There are just too many guns on the streets and I think our national government needs to do something about that."

His statement comes on the heels of President Barack Obama announcement on Tuesday of his plan to tighten control and enforcement of firearms in the United States

TheSanityAnnex
01-08-2016, 04:56 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/08/suspect-in-pa-cop-ambush-said-acted-in-name-islam-police-confirm.html?intcmp=hpbt1

The man caught in surveillance footage ambushing a Philadelphia officer in a squad car, shooting him multiple times, claimed he acted "in the name of Islam," police said at a news conference Friday.

The suspect's gun had been stolen from police in 2013, Commissioner Richard Ross said.

The man wore "Muslim garb," a law enforcement source told Fox News. The source would not elaborate. Local media identified the suspect as 30-year-old Edward Archer.

Officer Jessie Hartnett was in stable condition at a hospital, police said. The suspect fired a total of 13 shots Thursday night, Ross said. Three bullets struck the officer in his left arm.

"We are working side-by-side with the Philadelphia Police Department. They remain the lead agency as we work together to gather information about the attack on their officer," the FBI announced.

Hartnett returned fire, hitting his attacker at least three times, Ross added.

"This is absolutely one of the scariest things I've ever seen," Ross said at a news conference a few hours later. "This guy tried to execute the police officer. The police officer had no idea he was coming."

The suspect ran away, but was quickly apprehended by other officers. There was no immediate word on the suspect's condition.

In a statement, Governor Tom Wolf said, "This alleged intentional act of violence against an officer seeking to help a fellow citizen is horrifying and has no place in Pennsylvania."

Jim Kenney, who is in his first week as mayor of the nation's fifth largest city, said, "There are just too many guns on the streets and I think our national government needs to do something about that."

His statement comes on the heels of President Barack Obama announcement on Tuesday of his plan to tighten control and enforcement of firearms in the United States

And of course CAIR immediately says he was not a devout Muslim. :lol

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The man who shot a policeman in Philadelphia and claimed to have pledged allegiance to Islamic State militants does not appear to be a mosque-going Muslim, a senior official at the largest U.S. Muslim advocacy group said.
"At this hour, it does not appear that he was an observant or mosque-going Muslim” in the local community, said Jacob Bender, executive director of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Council on American–Islamic Relations.
“I’ve called numerous imams and mosques to try to see if the name rings a bell with anyone. So far it hasn’t,” he told Reuters in an interview.
Edward Archer of Philadelphia approached Officer Jesse Hartnett, 33, shortly before midnight and fired 11 rounds, three of which hit the officer in his arm, authorities said. Philadelphia police said Archer confessed to the attack and said he had pledged his allegiance to Islamic State.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-shooter-does-not-appear-observant-muslim-cair-205251507.html

rmt
01-08-2016, 10:14 PM
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — During a police press conference Friday afternoon, Mayor Jim Kenney stated that he believes the shooting of a Philadelphia police officer has “nothing to do with being a Muslim,” despite the suspect claiming he did it in the name of Islam.

Mayor Kenney said, “In no way shape or form does anyone in this room believe that Islam or the teaching of Islam has anything to do with what you’ve seen on the screen.”

Philadelphia Police Officer Jesse Hartnett was shot several times late Thursday.

Authorities say the suspect gave a full confession to the shooting.

Commissioner Richard Ross said, “According to him, police bend laws that are contrary to the teachings of the Quran.”

Mayor Kenney said of the shooting, “It is abhorrent. It is terrible and it does not represent the religion or any of its teachings.”

He continued, “This is a criminal with a stolen gun who tried to kill one of our officers. It has nothing to do with being a Muslim or following the Islamic faith.”

Police sources say the suspect is 30-year-old Edward Archer, of Yeadon.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/01/08/mayor-kenney-on-officer-shooting-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-being-muslim/

So this mayor knows that no one in the room believes it has nothing to do with Islam even though the suspect himself says so? No word from the White House. Televised town meeting last night on gun control, but nothing tonight on this "in the name of Islam" incident. This gun was stolen from the police and used against one of their own.

mingus
01-09-2016, 02:07 AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The man who shot a policeman in Philadelphia and claimed to have pledged allegiance to Islamic State militants does not appear to be a mosque-going Muslim, a senior official at the largest U.S. Muslim advocacy group said.
"At this hour, it does not appear that he was an observant or mosque-going Muslim” in the local community, said Jacob Bender, executive director of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Council on American–Islamic Relations.
“I’ve called numerous imams and mosques to try to see if the name rings a bell with anyone. So far it hasn’t,” he told Reuters in an interview.
Edward Archer of Philadelphia approached Officer Jesse Hartnett, 33, shortly before midnight and fired 11 rounds, three of which hit the officer in his arm, authorities said. Philadelphia police said Archer confessed to the attack and said he had pledged his allegiance to Islamic State.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-shooter-does-not-appear-observant-muslim-cair-205251507.html

It really depends on what you mean by devout.

It's been studied that many of these idiots aren't in fact devout. Many of them never even practiced the Islam. They're angry outcasts with pyhschological & psychiatric problems that grow a beard, start wearing robe, adapt Islam to their violent mindset, and can only recite jahadist verses in the Koran. Is doing that really devout? Not saying there aren't devout Muslims who don't conform to terrorism, either. Just sayin' that there are in fact as is widely known plenty of them who hijack (no pun intended) Islam for political, ethnic or other personal reasons not religious ones. IOW, many times Islam is the scapegoat.

To suggest that Islam is the basis, always, that one must be devout Muslim, is to simplify the problem in a way that shows your lack of understanding of breadth of issue.

Avante
01-09-2016, 04:10 AM
Hard to believe we still have ...."Islam is actually a religion of peace, it's just a very small minority who cause the problems"....sheesh~~~~~~~

Why do they ignore what the Koran says? How many verses there talking about violence to those dreaded non believers/infidels?

Let's say there had never been an Islam, it had never existed. How much better off would this old world have been/be?

This is where.."well ya know that Christianity........ ".....Christians aren't ramming themselves into buildings killing thousands, they aren't blowing themselves up (like a total moron) killing others. They aren't going around talking about a holy war a jihad.

Allah makes things very clear, if you can't convert someone, kill them.

Funny hearing....radical Islam. All that violence is Islam, nothing radical about it.

Two of many.

Quran (3:151) (http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/quran/verses/003-qmt.php#003.151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority".

Quran (9:29) (http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/quran/verses/009-qmt.php#009.029) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."

rmt
01-09-2016, 08:11 AM

I guess it says something that they cannot now deny that it's Islam as the suspect actually names it. The conversation's gone on to whether he is DEVOUT or not. More like these mosques don't want to be the subject of scrutiny/surveillance.

FromWayDowntown
01-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Why haven't the concentration camps been set up yet?

boutons_deux
01-09-2016, 10:42 AM
I guess it says something that they cannot now deny that it's Islam as the suspect actually names it.

bullshit. Like Christians perverting Christ's message of love and forgiveness to persecute, discriminate against, exclude, even murder people that they judge as non-Christian, terrorists use Muslim religion to commit crimes.

haven't you seen pranksters cover a Bible in a Koran cover, read horrible stuff from it to people on the street, who then condemn the "Koran" as a religion of hate and violence?

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 12:17 PM
More like these mosques don't want to be the subject of scrutiny/surveillance.should they be?

why or why not?

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 12:18 PM
it would be a radical departure from normative justice in the USA to cast suspicion collectively based on the creed of individuals. does the risk warrant the radical change?

can you think of any cases where this might backfire? say a Christian committed a notorious crime in the name of God -- would it be ok in that case to keep his whole church under surveillance?

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 12:31 PM
it would be a radical departure from normative justice in the USA to cast suspicion collectively based on the creed of individuals. does the risk warrant the radical change?

can you think of any cases where this might backfire? say a Christian committed a notorious crime in the name of God -- would it be ok in that case to keep his whole church under surveillance?

If a devout christian blew up an abortion clinic in the name of god I would have no problem with the FBI checking out his religious associates for similar inclinations.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 12:35 PM
If a devout christian blew up an abortion clinic in the name of god I would have no problem with the FBI checking out his religious associates for similar inclinations.

And then there is your actual response to the recent PP shooter which belies your narrative, fattie.

You realize at this point no one can take you at your word. Don't you have another brother to rat out or something?

baseline bum
01-09-2016, 12:38 PM

This. Fuck religion getting a special status that we have to tiptoe around.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 12:38 PM
And then there is your actual response to the recent PP shooter which belies your narrative, fattie.

You realize at this point no one can take you at your word. Don't you have another brother to rat out or something?

What the fuck are you talking about, shithead?

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 12:46 PM
If a devout christian blew up an abortion clinic in the name of god I would have no problem with the FBI checking out his religious associates for similar inclinations.well, I would.

4th Amendment, due process of law, mean anything to you?

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 12:48 PM
you investigate the criminal and follow the trail of crumbs wherever it leads.

putting a whole church or a whole community under investigation is about as anti-American as it gets.

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 12:50 PM
it's like terrorism turned everyone into cowards and idiots who willingly beg for safety at the feet of state power, instead of preserving the liberty they still have. it's a shame.

boutons_deux
01-09-2016, 12:52 PM
as anti-American as it gets.

most of what is "American" is bullshit, pure self-congratulating, self-aggrandizing myth

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 12:54 PM
like the 4th Amendment and due process of law?

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 12:54 PM
it's more than an ideological veneer -- it has real consequences for real people whether or not it's respected.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 12:55 PM
This. Fuck religion getting a special status that we have to tiptoe around.

Would you be interested in amending the first amendment and changing the word 'religion' to 'thought?'

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 12:57 PM
it's more than an ideological veneer -- it has real consequences for real people whether or not it's respected.

Sure, and the policy change would have to be constitutional. The church should be allowed to exist. It should not be protected. It's at the root of corporate power and I mean corporate in the corporeal sense.

You've always struck me as having an egalitarian streak. Less corporate more individual does that.

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 01:02 PM
The church should be allowed to exist. It should not be protected. It's at the root of corporate power and I mean corporate in the corporeal sense.I don't quite follow. Are you talking about the tax exempt status of religions?

the legal history of corporations?

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 01:10 PM
you investigate the criminal and follow the trail of crumbs wherever it leads.

putting a whole church or a whole community under investigation is about as anti-American as it gets.

I said religious associates, not religious organizations.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 01:12 PM
if the shooter was a member of a Militia wouldn't you support the investigation of his militia associates?

considering your position on religion I would think that for philosophical consistency you would consider a militia=catholic=rotaryclub=muslim

a group of people with similar beliefs whether right or wrong.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't quite follow. Are you talking about the tax exempt status of religions?

the legal history of corporations?

both if you get right down to it. I'm speaking more of the root cause.

it goes back to charlemagne and the reconquista. Norman church policy of stacking bishops and parish leaders. The Crusades and Divine Right. Richelieu and France.

It goes along with state agents giving themselves extra rights in LEOBOR. As well as the corporate tax and liability structure which is essentially a giveaway with no sense of checks, balance, or ethics. The Church was the first corporate entity and it has the most protections of all. The first amendment starts with it in our tradition.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 01:56 PM
I said religious associates, not religious organizations.

a group of associates is an organization. Heard of an association? That is the root.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 02:02 PM
a group of associates is an organization. Heard of an association? That is the root.

if he doesn't know someone else that is in the same organization they are not an associate.
You sure take some stupid positions just to argue.

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 02:06 PM
if the shooter was a member of a Militia wouldn't you support the investigation of his militia associates?nope.

absent particularized cause to do so, would be unconstitutional. .

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 02:07 PM
if he doesn't know someone else that is in the same organization they are not an associate.
You sure take some stupid positions just to argue.

you said religious associates. you went out of your way to point out how you said it in those terms. Now you are changing your stance. You have no point which is not unusual. You often get sidetracked like an animal.

You just don't understand notions of mutual exclusivity and how things can be more than one thing at once.

A group of associates is an association. Examples would be like the NBAssociation and the national association of realtors.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 02:09 PM
motion picture association of america

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 02:09 PM
ergot is an organization

FromWayDowntown
01-09-2016, 02:42 PM
it's like terrorism turned everyone into cowards and idiots who willingly beg for safety at the feet of state power, instead of preserving the liberty they still have. it's a shame.

This. This. This. A million times, this. I'm frequently stunned at the number of "constitutionalists" who are perfectly willing to cede constitutional liberty back to government at the first hint of danger.

Besides, "safety" at the feet of state power is very nearly illusory, given that even enhanced state surveillance and erosion of other 4th Amendment protections has not completely eliminated the dangers posed by those bent on crime and/or terror.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Fuzzy, you sure like to take stupid positions just for the sake of argument.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Fuzzy, you sure like to take stupid positions just for the sake of argument.

I said you have no point and your fixation continues to outline this. I think I also said you got distracted like an animal quite often if you recall. You're doing this now.

I still think they should change the word religion to thought in the first amendment.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 03:55 PM
I said a persons associates in an organization are exclusive of other people in an organization he doesn't associate with.

You stupidly chose to argue my position just to argue.

You really are a dumb argumentive prick that amazingly thinks he is intelligent. Sad, really.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 04:17 PM
I said a persons associates in an organization are exclusive of other people in an organization he doesn't associate with.

You stupidly chose to argue my position just to argue.

You really are a dumb argumentive prick that amazingly thinks he is intelligent. Sad, really.

Intelligent in the general sense? Nah. I prefer to work on a case by case basis. What you are picking up is that I think I am smarter than you and how I have no respect for you. For someone with as much hubris as you, we are naturally at odds, fattie.

And I pointed out to you that you had issues with the nature of things and concepts. I would say that it depends on the association. By your standard, an American who pledges him or herself to a corporation of armed insurrection like AQ should be free to do so. An armed minority should never be able to dictate policy by force particularly when they received a fair trial and are completely on the wrong side of fairly made laws.

John Adams inspires me to this view I feel.

Winehole23
01-09-2016, 04:23 PM
This. This. This. A million times, this. I'm frequently stunned at the number of "constitutionalists" who are perfectly willing to cede constitutional liberty back to government at the first hint of danger.

Besides, "safety" at the feet of state power is very nearly illusory, given that even enhanced state surveillance and erosion of other 4th Amendment protections has not completely eliminated the dangers posed by those bent on crime and/or terror.not only is the safety illusory, counter-terrorism as presently constituted is the bigger danger to citizens. the liberty ceded does not magically reappear once the danger -- or the hysteria -- has passed.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Damn Fuzzy... Chump builds straw men. You build straw fucking armies...:lol

pathetic

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Wow. Chump builds straw men. You build straw fucking armies...:LOL

pathetic

So you feel you have no hubris? You don't realize that I think I am smarter than you and don't respect you? You don't see us as being at odds?

It's things like this that make me think you are little more than animal. I guess you're angry and aren't filtering at all, fattie.

After that I gave my opinion on the matter given your current framing of your argument. What do you talk about? Raging at me. Nice. That illustrates what I was talking about regarding fixation from before. Can you compare and contrast?

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 04:36 PM
So you feel you have no hubris? You don't realize that I think I am smarter than you and don't respect you? You don't see us as being at odds?

It's things like this that make me think you are little more than animal. I guess you're angry and aren't filtering at all, fattie.

After that I gave my opinion on the matter given your current framing of your argument. What do you talk about? Raging at me. Nice. That illustrates what I was talking about regarding fixation from before. Can you compare and contrast?

Oh, I get that you erroneously think you are smarter than I am. I also get that you confuse accomplishment and confidence with hubris. I also get that you don't like me. The feeling is mutual.

Beyond that your response was just piles of straw.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Given the reality of group think, leadership, deception, propaganda, and minion personalities like our very own WC, not all associations are valid. OTOH, I do think that every individual, even fattie himself, is valid in and of themselves.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Oh, I get that you erroneously think you are smarter than I am. I also get that you confuse accomplishment and confidence with hubris. I also get that you don't like me. The feeling is mutual.

Beyond that your response was just piles of straw.

As I pointed out, you have difficulty in understanding how things can be many things at once and mutually exclusivity. You do it here again. No shit, you think you've accomplished something.

I don't care what you think you've accomplished and you never really do more than allude to it anyway. Given the reality of privacy concerns the way you try and big time people with your stupid bluster and self assured simple declarations comes across as either incredibly obtuse or worse. Either way I naturally oppose that. When you actually do accomplish something nowadays you must be unbearable, fattie.

One of the big reasons why kids these days have such an egalitarian spirit is because they understand these dynamics and the pointlessness of such entitlement on the anonymous web. Whether your schtick is an act or your reality, it is what it is.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 05:06 PM
egalitarian...:lmao

All people are not equal no matter how much you wish it to be true.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 05:16 PM
egalitarian...:lmao

All people are not equal no matter how much you wish it to be true.

:lol elitists that can be demonstrated to show cognitive holes are funny. appeal to your anonymous accomplishments some more.

I was just discussing the social dynamic because of the anonymous nature of the web, fattie. You're type of entitlement is getting marginalized whether you are willing or not. Have fun being like that with people in public.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 05:24 PM
:lol elitists that can be demonstrated to show cognitive holes are funny. appeal to your anonymous accomplishments some more.

I was just discussing the social dynamic because of the anonymous nature of the web, fattie. You're type of entitlement is getting marginalized whether you are willing or not. Have fun being like that with people in public.

I don't have to refer to me. It is so intuitive even an idiot like you should be able to figure it out. The burned out meth head breaking into your car for the change in your coffee holder is not fundamentally equal to President Obama.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 06:03 PM
I don't have to refer to me. It is so intuitive even an idiot like you should be able to figure it out. The burned out meth head breaking into your car for the change in your coffee holder is not fundamentally equal to President Obama.

:lol wtf? Are you even capable of acknowledging what I am saying about anonymity? If you cannot then you are justifying my comments on cognitive disability.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Oh I get it. As long as you are anonymous on the internet in your mind you can be as good as the rest of us...:lol

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Oh I get it. As long as you are anonymous on the internet in your mind you can be as good as the rest of us...:lol

:lol Rest of us? Having to appeal to some other authority, fattie?

You were incapable of relating the issue of privacy btw so my justification is valid. Congratulations on your debilitating narcissism. As Aristotle says, 'a sign of an educated mind is to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.'

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2016, 07:34 PM
:lmao @ Fuzzy. Pathetic. Fuzzy is a real winner in his anonymous internet world.

Winehole23
01-10-2016, 03:37 AM
Terrorism is an infinitesimal threat to the USA. Our overreaction to it has been fateful.

Winehole23
01-10-2016, 03:45 AM
Our violent overeaction didn' t decrease t he threat. It multiplied our enemies.

Winehole23
01-10-2016, 03:46 AM
And we willingly ceded our own liberties into the bargain, in exchange for illusory safety.

Winehole23
01-10-2016, 03:49 AM
Mindless revenge enhanced the danger.

Winehole23
01-10-2016, 04:16 AM
Decreases safety, diminishes liberty.

Winehole23
01-10-2016, 04:19 AM
Our attempt to fix it has fucked it up worse.

boutons_deux
01-10-2016, 08:42 AM
the paranoia in USA about bullshit like ISIS is All Politics ( which is really about Money), All The Time.

And of course it's the low-info, low-wage Repug base that get suckered by the Repugs, first, deepest, longest.