PDA

View Full Version : Takeaways From Tonight's Game

Robz4000
01-08-2016, 11:08 PM
-Parker was damn good (excluding that last shot)
-Kawhi isn't quite there yet on offense, but he lives to play against star players like Fatmelo (whose had a great season thus far)
-Duncan is still elite, but he can't guard heavy bigs
-Despite starting slow and not getting a rhythm early, LMA really looks comfortable in the offense compared to November
-Green is back (despite shooting 3-9). Loved his all-around game for the most part

look_at_g_shred
01-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Kawhi just had a rough night shooting wise. He'll be fine. People are overreacting way too much over this game. It was an ugly game sure. But how many games have GSW played similar to this type?? I'm saying twice as many at least.

midnightpulp
01-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Kawhi just had a rough night shooting wise. He'll be fine. People are overreacting way too much over this game. It was an ugly game sure. But how many games have GSW played similar to this type?? I'm saying twice as many at least.

Yeah, it's the NBA. Close games happen :lol

bic50
01-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Have to give knicks credit. They played hard.

dabom
01-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Parker was dam good. :lmao

HI-FI
01-08-2016, 11:16 PM
I knew it would be tough, I figured Knicks would win it so glad with the result. Verde came up big.

RD2191
01-08-2016, 11:17 PM
Manu almost putting up the same stat line in 10 less minutes of play time. Crofl.

spursfaninla
01-08-2016, 11:18 PM
dabom talking about his favorite subject.

I was disappointed the spurs did not beat NY as they should have because our D sucked in the 4th, but we had flashes of good D in the 3rd/early 4th.

Green shot 2-3 from 3, which was encouraging.

Kawhi's d was monstrous as per par.

We missed at LOT of shots in the 1st.

MultiTroll
01-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Phildo and Fisher still own Popped / while it's only one game it shows Pops ability to be mentally owned ie by Doc Rivers in the playoffs.

Porzingus is a 20 year old rookie from Euro.
Boban is a 27 year old rookie from Euro.

Phildo - Fisher do not hold Porz back with some idiotic *doghouse* or *rookies cannot play* bullshit.
CIA Pop with his repressive control crap could well be rendering Boban useless in the playoffs.

*If some San Antonio media can grow some balls, or maybe the new chick from LA has more balls then all of them could ask Popped in an interview. If Boban has some weird medical condition that limits him, so be it.

DenialTwist
01-08-2016, 11:26 PM
The Knicks are trying to make it a tradition to beat the spurs once every year. Glad the spurs broke it and won a close game.

picnroll
01-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Portzing is gonna be a helluva player.

Old School 44
01-08-2016, 11:33 PM
The real deal.

bic50
01-08-2016, 11:34 PM

:lol @ knicks fans for booing him when they drafted him.

ElNono
01-08-2016, 11:37 PM
We got a stop when we needed one... won a close game... still undefeated at home... beat a team that was on a 3 game winning streak and playing well...

we're not going to win all games by 14+

cjw
01-08-2016, 11:37 PM
Comparing KP to Boban :lol

One guy is a nice rotational piece who's been damn good as a rookie, but is still the fifth big in the rotation.

The other is the second coming of Dirk and the team's second best player (at the moment)

Old School 44
01-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Don't know what the percentages were, but there were stretches of the game where it seemed the Knicks could not miss. That straight away three by Affalo with Green draped over him...smh

KenziE
01-08-2016, 11:40 PM
We got a stop when we needed one... won a close game... still undefeated at home... beat a team that was on a 3 game winning streak and playing well...

truff BOMB tbh

lettuce proceed to the next game

Matty2Cool
01-08-2016, 11:41 PM
Put $ on the dog. And Spurs win. Win f'n win

spursfaninla
01-08-2016, 11:42 PM

dude impressed me. he is already their best player.

MultiTroll
01-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Comparing KP to Boban :lol

One guy is a nice rotational piece who's been damn good as a rookie, but is still the fifth big in the rotation.

Same clowns who said Yao couldn't play when he 1st hit the NBA.
Bobans only got a PER of 31. Better limit him to every third game. :lmao

No I don't think Boban is as good as Porz. I do think he has earned way more minutes and has massive potential.
I also think he can contribute to a Championship. Not by sitting on the bench.

MultiTroll
01-08-2016, 11:48 PM

The fact the Spurs won this game vs losing 100-99 is encouraging.

ElNono
01-08-2016, 11:50 PM
The fact the Spurs won this game vs losing 100-99 is encouraging.

We're going to lose some more games this season too... I don't think we're going 74-6, tbh...

The fact we've lost only 6 games this season is pretty amazing already, and IIRC, never been done before by our franchise.

MultiTroll
01-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Great I agree.
But when we go into offensive brain lock in 4th qtrs. of games we have won it brings back Ghosts of Championships Blown from the Past. Rated X.

Can you think of any good reason why Boban was chained to the bench again?
If we're gonna use him in the playoffs, let's get him into some 4th qtr playoff type tight games now. Timmy was off.

Kawhitstorm
01-09-2016, 12:11 AM

Pop should have played Boban, Lopez can't hit a shot outside the paint so it wouldn't have been an issue. especially (Calderon also can't blow by him) :bang

ElNono
01-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Great I agree.
But when we go into offensive brain lock in 4th qtrs. of games we have won it brings back Ghosts of Championships Blown from the Past. Rated X.

Can you think of any good reason why Boban was chained to the bench again?
If we're gonna use him in the playoffs, let's get him into some 4th qtr playoff type tight games now. Timmy was off.

I don't think we're going to use him much in the playoffs this season, barring two of LMA/West/Tim getting in foul trouble. The plan I think it's to let him get his feet wet in the regular season and possibly take West/Tim spot next season if either of them retire.

And the 4th quarter thing, I would have to look at what the sample size really is and if it's statistically significant. I don't remember that many close 4th quarters this whole season, tbh.

BatManu20
01-09-2016, 12:16 AM

BatManu20
01-09-2016, 12:18 AM
Bobo's a legend.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYQQwDcUsAA3d7F.jpg:large

MultiTroll
01-09-2016, 12:25 AM
I don't think we're going to use him much in the playoffs this season, barring two of LMA/West/Tim getting in foul trouble. The plan I think it's to let him get his feet wet in the regular season and possibly take West/Tim spot next season if either of them retire.

Oh ya we can see where it's heading.
Can you think of any good reason not to use Boban in the playoffs?

The 4th qtr thing it is a small sample size. And any team will have games like this, the Golden Faggots included.
It's the way it was almost choked (fluid offense stagnates) and two of Pops kryptonites Phildo and Swisher that made it dreadful.

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Bobo's a legend.

Amazing Bobo. Our Tea (Coffee) Time guy :bobo

LoneStarState'sPride
01-09-2016, 12:26 AM

He's the truth.

spursfaninla
01-09-2016, 12:28 AM

The 4th qtr thing it is a small sample size. And any team will have games like this, the Golden Faggots included.
It's the way it was almost choked (fluid offense stagnates) and two of Pops kryptonites Phildo and Swisher that made it dreadful.

no, I can't, except that he lacks chemistry with anyone but the 3rd unit, and most of his time has been against scrubs.

I think he is definitely a part of our future, but unless you think he should get some of LA, TD, or Bobo's time, I don't understand where you think the minutes will come from in the playoffs.

West? he is getting 15 minutes in the playoffs per game, tops, and boban does not bring everything that west does anyway, like an outside jumper, so he is really competing with LA and TD for center minutes.

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 12:29 AM
Kawhi isn't quite there yet on offense

One game he was shooting under .50 and...Kawhi 50-50-90/#4 in isos/ season isn't quite there yet on offense.

Spoiled fans

ElNono
01-09-2016, 12:30 AM

I think he's too raw right now. I'm high on him, but it's undeniable he looks lost sometimes and he's yet to experience things like double teams, etc.
Maybe against certain teams he can be useful, but I think we're going with the experienced guys, and that IMO, makes sense.

As I mentioned in another thread, I was a bit puzzled with Pop not calling timeouts or even making substitutions until the lead pretty much evaporated.
That said, Pop does this stuff sometimes, especially in the regular season. I don't know if he's looking to see what he has or what, but it's not new.

Robz4000
01-09-2016, 12:32 AM
One game he was shooting under .50 and...Kawhi 50-50-90/#4 in isos/ season isn't quite there yet on offense.

Spoiled fans

Didn't say that. He's still trying to utilize that extra gear that the all-time greats have.

benefactor
01-09-2016, 12:32 AM
Fun game...kinda nice to see a nail biter for a change.:lol

SAGirl
01-09-2016, 12:38 AM
Bobo's a legend.

I love this guy!!!!!
Always with something humorous for fans and teammates.
LOVE YOU BORIS....
:bobo

bic50
01-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Bobo's a legend.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-09-2016, 12:44 AM
Phildo and Fisher still own Popped / while it's only one game it shows Pops ability to be mentally owned ie by Doc Rivers in the playoffs.

Porzingus is a 20 year old rookie from Euro.
Boban is a 27 year old rookie from Euro.

Phildo - Fisher do not hold Porz back with some idiotic *doghouse* or *rookies cannot play* bullshit.
CIA Pop with his repressive control crap could well be rendering Boban useless in the playoffs.

*If some San Antonio media can grow some balls, or maybe the new chick from LA has more balls then all of them could ask Popped in an interview. If Boban has some weird medical condition that limits him, so be it.

Boban is no where near the talent that Porzingus is. No matter how many minutes you give Boban. Knicks struck gold with Porzingus.

SAGirl
01-09-2016, 12:46 AM
I was a bit puzzled with Pop not calling timeouts or even making substitutions until the lead pretty much evaporated.
That said, Pop does this stuff sometimes, especially in the regular season. I don't know if he's looking to see what he has or what, but it's not new.

Pop puzzles me sometimes too. His called plays this season have been hit and miss. A lot of isos for Kawhi and LMA who either have to force up bad shots, or get double teamed so quickly that they turn it over (LMA) or have to pass out reset and waste time in the shot clock anyway (Kawhi). Sometimes I think he prefers for guys to figure it out on their own (or not apparently) and he may discover some dynamics that the hadn't thought of.

Pop amazes me sometimes with how stubborn he is for some things, and yet how he experiments with others. He wings it and lets guys figure it out sometimes, which does let you know, coaching is important, but players are the ones who win games. All in all, it is a win, I am happy and Pop made the right calls with substitutions and such most of the game. Have to give credit to Knicks and Porzingod, they showed up.

I wanted to see Boban, but him and Anderson are for next season.

I hope whatever Pop hoped to learn from this one, he got it. More opportunities to get better.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-09-2016, 01:12 AM
We suck and we can't execute for shit on offense and can't get stops to save our lives on defense at the end of tight games when TD isn't on the court.

Aztecfan03
01-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Manu almost putting up the same stat line in 10 less minutes of play time. Crofl.
8 assits. 3 assists. Yep seems close to me.

MultiTroll
01-09-2016, 01:20 AM
no, I can't, except that he lacks chemistry with anyone but the 3rd unit, and most of his time has been against scrubs.

I think he is definitely a part of our future, but unless you think he should get some of LA, TD, or Bobo's time, I don't understand where you think the minutes will come from in the playoffs.

West? he is getting 15 minutes in the playoffs per game, tops, and boban does not bring everything that west does anyway, like an outside jumper, so he is really competing with LA and TD for center minutes.
That his time has been with and against 3rd units, Boban can only play the minutes he has been given.

I would find a way to get him in 6-8 minutes in the occasional tight game like tonight. If that means shaving 2 minutes off LA/TD/ or Cappacinos time, well do it! The other night vs Utah was LA resting, but West and Duncan had such great nights that perhaps Popped wanted to and did leave them in. But there has been plenty of games where Boban could be fit in. Certainly on blowouts more minutes then he has gotten.

Boban cannot bring Wests midrange but West cannot bring Bobans rim protection. It's a matchup thing. Could the game come where we urgently need Boban to play 4 minutes vs Bogut? Ya it could. Let's have him prepared.

jARS mEsH sEt
01-09-2016, 01:45 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DmIURIqjDmY

:lmao Knicks fans are so ****ing stupid. Booing a 7'3 guy with talent like that. They don't deserve him.

BillMc
01-09-2016, 01:50 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DmIURIqjDmY

:lmao Knicks fans are so ****ing stupid. Booing a 7'3 guy with talent like that. They don't deserve him.

Yep. And one of the Knick fans leading the boos was Stephen A. Smith. It's fun to watch him backpedal now.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-09-2016, 01:55 AM
We suck and we can't execute for shit on offense and can't get stops to save our lives on defense at the end of tight games when TD isn't on the court.

You are always so highstrung, niglet :lol

emanueldavidginobili
01-09-2016, 03:12 AM
KP potential is through the roof this kid is 7'3 with a very good stroke and great competitive nature . He definitely has a chip on his shoulder, wait until he's actually a full grown man he's going to be crazy good

spurs10
01-09-2016, 03:21 AM
We suck and we can't execute for shit on offense and can't get stops to save our lives on defense at the end of tight games when TD isn't on the court. Getting a stop is how we won the game. Getting the ball out of Carmelo's hands was huge. We won!

objective
01-09-2016, 03:55 AM
Was it really a great stop, though!?

I can't rewatch until later, but wasn't it still a clean, set shot and a good look for one of the best shooters in the league, who has been over 41% from three for 4 straight seasons?

Like I said, I haven't seen it since the live feed.

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 04:23 AM

I can't rewatch until later, but wasn't it still a clean, set shot and a good look for one of the best shooters in the league, who has been over 41% from three for 4 straight seasons?

Maybe...but Melo passing instead of him scoring, or getting his usual calls and free throws was great. Melo's FTs have a higher probability of going in than Calderon 3's

Not just against Kawhi since Melo was guarded by Danny during 2:19 minutes in the game.

And like Calderon...Galloway missed the 3.

Robz4000
01-09-2016, 04:30 AM

It was a good shot that didn't fall, no denying it. Still, to get to that position the Knicks had to hit several tough ones including an Afflalo 3 from 27 feet out with Green playing the best defense possible. Law of averages kicked in just in time.

Kidd K
01-09-2016, 04:56 AM
-Kawhi isn't quite there yet on offense, but he lives to play against star players like Fatmelo (whose had a great season thus far)
-Despite starting slow and not getting a rhythm early, LMA really looks comfortable in the offense compared to November
-Green is back (despite shooting 3-9). Loved his all-around game for the most part

It was also fun to see Melo get his shit packed half a dozen times. Everyone guarding him was denying his ass. It was great to watch tbh. Especially the play D. West got him twice in a row :lol

spurs10
01-09-2016, 05:03 AM

Like I said, I haven't seen it since the live feed.Not a great stop, but it was a contested rushed 3 and a result of lockdown defense from Kawhi. As was mentioned by Robz4000 the Knicks had their share of good fortune.

Horse
01-09-2016, 09:54 AM
I rewatched the 4th, we were getting whatever we wanted boris missed a few he always makes, even LA and Kawhi missed a few bunnies, add in the awfu,l awful ref job and I'm not concerned. There was a period we were up 10-12 for a couple minutes and just couldn't score we get a few buckets there and it probably turns into another blowout.

Harry Callahan
01-09-2016, 12:38 PM

Bobo leads a pretty awesome life TBH. He is a really good BBall player, is highly paid, goes to interesting places all over the world when vacation kicks in. What's not to like about him.

I would let TP stay in SA for an extra year if it meant Boris stayed too. I think they are both up contractually next year (in 2017).

UZER
01-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Manus help on Melo almost cost the game. It helped Caldo get a way better look than had he stayed home. No way was Melo getting a good shot up with the D position Kawhi had. He wasnt in position to fade away.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-09-2016, 01:38 PM

Spot on analysis. As far as Kawhi, the starting unit needs another player than can dribble penetrate and finish at the rim like Parker. Kawhi has to be that guy. I think this is what separates Kawhi from other players that are getting MVP mentions. There was one sequence where Kawhi was able to get past his defender at the three but once Lopez rotated he couldn't get the ball up like Parker or Manu or even Simmons. Another sequence Kawhi got the ball at the three point like and had Melo on him and he still couldn't beat Melo to the rim for an easy layup.

Maddog
01-09-2016, 06:27 PM
I rewatched the 4th, we were getting whatever we wanted boris missed a few he always makes, even LA and Kawhi missed a few bunnies, add in the awfu,l awful ref job and I'm not concerned. There was a period we were up 10-12 for a couple minutes and just couldn't score we get a few buckets there and it probably turns into another blowout.

12 point lead
That 5 point swing on the no call with kawhi and that incredible tightly covered 3. Just goes to show the difference between a close game and a blow out are sometimes less than you think.

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Spot on analysis. As far as Kawhi, the starting unit needs another player than can dribble penetrate and finish at the rim like Parker. Kawhi has to be that guy. I think this is what separates Kawhi from other players that are getting MVP mentions.

Kawhi has improved a lot in that area of his game, penetrating and dishing to the open man against Bucks, or finishing at the rim against Rockets, but he's still more a post-up player/spot-up shooter in the plays designed by Pop.

While Parker has the ball in his hands, Kawhi doesn't have many opportunities to get that type of plays, in the tweets I posted, Patty casually was the PG on the court.

This is not against Parker, it's just that Pop's still too reliant on him in those situations. We see how often the Spurs clear out for Parker in the last plays, but they don't do it for Kawhi with Parker on the court, then the space is terrible for him to drive to the rim.

However, if Pop constantly calls Kawhi's number to develop him, what will be the Parker role? The spot up shooter in the corner?

Pop keeps Parker in the game while he's still able to drive, penetrate and finish or kick back out to the open man. Otherwise, Parker becomes useless to the system because he's not a great 3-point shooter or a playmaker.

At some point of Parker/Kawhi careers, Pop'll think it's time to pass the torch, it's just a matter of time.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
01-09-2016, 07:30 PM

Kawhi has improved a lot in that area of his game, penetrating and dishing to the open man against Bucks, or finishing at the rim against Rockets, but he's still more a post-up player/spot-up shooter in the plays designed by Pop.

While Parker has the ball in his hands, Kawhi doesn't have many opportunities to get that type of plays, in the tweets I posted, Patty casually was the PG on the court.

This is not against Parker, it's just that Pop's still too reliant on him in those situations. We see how often the Spurs clear out for Parker in the last plays, but they don't do it for Kawhi with Parker on the court, then the space is terrible for him to drive to the rim.

However, if Pop constantly calls Kawhi's number in those plays, what will be the Parker role? The spot up shooter in the corner?

Pop keeps Parker in the game while he's still able to drive, penetrate and finish or kick back out to the open man. Otherwise, Parker becomes useless to the system because he's not a great 3-point shooter or a playmaker.

At some point of Parker/Kawhi careers, Pop'll think it's time to pass the torch, it's just a matter of time.
Those are two travels :lol

Kawhitstorm
01-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Spot on analysis. As far as Kawhi, the starting unit needs another player than can dribble penetrate and finish at the rim like Parker. Kawhi has to be that guy. I think this is what separates Kawhi from other players that are getting MVP mentions. There was one sequence where Kawhi was able to get past his defender at the three but once Lopez rotated he couldn't get the ball up like Parker or Manu or even Simmons. Another sequence Kawhi got the ball at the three point like and had Melo on him and he still couldn't beat Melo to the rim for an easy layup.

He tends to favor straight line drives & doesn't yet have the ability to change directions consistently although you will see a random Euro-step or spin move. If he was an elite athlete & had an elite first step then straight line drives would suffice but he's an above average athlete w/ an above average first step thus he need to be more crafty. Pierce for example would use a lot of jab step & spin moves when he was in his prime since Kawhi has an excellent mid-range game he could model his game after Pierce who was also a triple treat b/c his passing abilities.

At this point, the only thing that separates Kawhi from Melo offensively is their first step.

ElNono
01-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Manus help on Melo almost cost the game. It helped Caldo get a way better look than had he stayed home. No way was Melo getting a good shot up with the D position Kawhi had. He wasnt in position to fade away.

Not true. Forced Melo to get rid of the ball as soon as he saw the help coming, and he recovered and contested Calderon's shot properly. Melo just hit a turnaround jumper from that same spot over Kawhi a few possessions earlier.

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 07:51 PM

No. But you don't watch NBA/LeBron games very often, right?

sasaint
01-09-2016, 08:00 PM

Good post. Many posters are apoplectic about our crunch time play execution. I am more concerned about all the misses that are usually makes. We make those and maintain our 10-12 point cushion to the buzzer.

UZER
01-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Not true. Forced Melo to get rid of the ball as soon as he saw the help coming, and he recovered and contested Calderon's shot properly. Melo just hit a turnaround jumper from that same spot over Kawhi a few possessions earlier.

Nope. Caldo got a pretty clean look at it. You don't help unless there is no time for a pass out, or the guy your leaving is a horrible shooter. I specifically said Kawhi was in position on THAT possession. Melo got the fadeaway off previously because he got Kawhi behind him in the post which gave him the positioning to create that space with the fadeaway. This time Melo was driving hard left with Kawhi with him stride for stride on his hip on his shooting hand side. His body wasnt in position to create space with a fadeaway move. He was gonna have to pull up where he was draped by Kawhi but Manu bailed him out by helping and giving him an outlet to a more open Caldo.

It's the typical live with Manu die with Manu play.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
01-09-2016, 09:06 PM
No. But you don't watch NBA/LeBron games very often, right?
Called or not, he took 3 steps in both videos...that shows the refs are blind, not that Kawhi has a handle

Rob123
01-09-2016, 09:13 PM

Ginobili had 5 less assists and is the sole owner of the bench squad he can put up similar stats in less
Minutes that's his job. Parker plays with the starters....

You have to be fat and unathletic you have no concept of how the sport is played

Rob123
01-09-2016, 09:15 PM

Damn bro your post count is climbing at an unhealthy rate you seriously need to find a hobby.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-09-2016, 09:19 PM
683481775847309312683477290597101568Kawhi has improved a lot in that area of his game, penetrating and dishing to the open man against Bucks, or finishing at the rim against Rockets, but he's still more a post-up player/spot-up shooter in the plays designed by Pop.While Parker has the ball in his hands, Kawhi doesn't have many opportunities to get that type of plays, in the tweets I posted, Patty casually was the PG on the court. This is not against Parker, it's just that Pop's still too reliant on him in those situations. We see how often the Spurs clear out for Parker in the last plays, but they don't do it for Kawhi with Parker on the court, then the space is terrible for him to drive to the rim. However, if Pop constantly calls Kawhi's number to develop him, what will be the Parker role? The spot up shooter in the corner? Pop keeps Parker in the game while he's still able to drive, penetrate and finish or kick back out to the open man. Otherwise, Parker becomes useless to the system because he's not a great 3-point shooter or a playmaker. At some point of Parker/Kawhi careers, Pop'll think it's time to pass the torch, it's just a matter of time. If you are somehow suggesting that Parker has stymied the growth of Kawhi then you would be wrong. Parkers ability to get to the rim is unmatched by few. Parkers ability to finish at rim even when a secondary defender (even a big) is equal to other great low post players like Diaw.

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 09:29 PM
If you are somehow suggesting that Parker has stymied the growth of Kawhi then you would be wrong.

Didn't say it. Pop is reliant on Parker while he's still able to get the rim. In next seasons, with Parker's decline, Pop'll lean more on Kawhi to initiate the offense. That's all.

But you want Kawhi to be that player this season, and he won't. Not while Parker can still do his things.

SAGirl
01-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Wow you are right. the first one specially was :downspin:

Horse
01-10-2016, 10:02 AM
As far as Kawhi getting to the basket the awesome thing is I don't think this fucker even knows how good he is on offense yet and when he realizes look out. He may not be the fastest player in the league in a race but he's super quick with the ball they obviously have to respect his jumper so if he keeps shooting the 3 the way he has he'll get to the rim at will.

ElNono
01-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Nope. Caldo got a pretty clean look at it. You don't help unless there is no time for a pass out, or the guy your leaving is a horrible shooter. I specifically said Kawhi was in position on THAT possession. Melo got the fadeaway off previously because he got Kawhi behind him in the post which gave him the positioning to create that space with the fadeaway. This time Melo was driving hard left with Kawhi with him stride for stride on his hip on his shooting hand side. His body wasnt in position to create space with a fadeaway move. He was gonna have to pull up where he was draped by Kawhi but Manu bailed him out by helping and giving him an outlet to a more open Caldo.

It's the typical live with Manu die with Manu play.

False. Carmelo is the kind of player that will take and make extremely difficult shots. If you're going to get beat by the Knicks you want somebody other than Carmelo or Porzingod to do it. If Calderon beats you, you tip your hat and go watch tape on how you lost a 12 point lead in 8 mins.

ceperez
01-10-2016, 11:47 AM
False. Carmelo is the kind of player that will take and make extremely difficult shots. If you're going to get beat by the Knicks you want somebody other than Carmelo or Porzingod to do it. If Calderon beats you, you tip your hat and go watch tape on how you lost a 12 point lead in 8 mins.

I'm not sure about the Manu gamble here. Calderon had a clean look at a corner 3.

ElNono
01-10-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure about the Manu gamble here. Calderon had a clean look at a corner 3.

All I'm saying is that I rather have Calderon taking the game winning shot than Carmelo. It's my opinion, obviously, everybody can agree or disagree.

SAGirl
01-10-2016, 02:50 PM

He mentioned this himself in that article, how they were fortunate Calderon missed that 3. It was a good shot and had it gone in, different would be the story about that gamble. But that is irrelevant. Ultimately the minutes before were more enlightening, like that failure by Kawhi and LMA to communicate and switch, ending up in a Porzingod wide open dunk. Reminded me of Lamarcus and Kawhi lack of communication on that Wiz Beal 3 that did cost us a game. Nobody is talking about that bc Kawhi... but the game would have been lost in the few preceding minutes (and the Tony contested long 2!).

ceperez
01-10-2016, 03:34 PM
He mentioned this himself in that article, how they were fortunate Calderon missed that 3. It was a good shot and had it gone in, different would be the story about that gamble. But that is irrelevant. Ultimately the minutes before were more enlightening, like that failure by Kawhi and LMA to communicate and switch, ending up in a Porzingod wide open dunk. Reminded me of Lamarcus and Kawhi lack of communication on that Wiz Beal 3 that did cost us a game. Nobody is talking about that bc Kawhi... but the game would have been lost in the few preceding minutes (and the Tony contested long 2!).

The Spurs season will ultimately fall on whether LMA can elevate his game or not. So far he has not and it is near the mid point of the season.

Folks who aren't seeing this problem are falling too much in complacency over a record that is due to an overly weak schedule.

Just compare LMA with Draymond Green. Green has been putting up some ridiculous numbers while LMA has shown numbers that look very ordinary. Green is ranked #1 in Power Forwards while LMA is ranked a disappointing #28. David West is doing well at #14 but shouldn't LMA at least be better than Channing Frye???

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/6

SAGirl
01-10-2016, 03:51 PM
The Spurs season will ultimately fall on whether LMA can elevate his game or not. So far he has not and it is near the mid point of the season.

Folks who aren't seeing this problem are falling too much in complacency over a record that is due to an overly weak schedule.

Just compare LMA with Draymond Green. Green has been putting up some ridiculous numbers while LMA has shown numbers that look very ordinary. Green is ranked #1 in Power Forwards while LMA is ranked a disappointing #28. David West is doing well at #14 but shouldn't LMA at least be better than Channing Frye???

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/6
He's not a passer or ball handler of the caliber of Griffin or Draymond who are very dynamic players. Diaw is another very dynamic PF and West. Lamarcus is average passing, but I think his particular rates were affected specially early by the horrendous start to the season Danny had, bricking open looks and involved in some hideous two man game with Lamarcus. No assists for LMA and no shots made by Green.

We have to appreciate the things he does well while recognizing he got off to a bad start for the season, same as Danny. I wished he was more determined in the post. He's strong and big enough to bully guys, he's just not as skilled or crafty doing so. A lot of post up success involves being crafty and skilled and he's not very much, the closer you get him to the basket. He doesn't pivot with agility looking for angles like Diaw does, and his ballhandling is not good enough to go around guys a little bit.

I hope he continues to get better. I think in terms of his game he's gone through a lot of big changes bc in Portland they played to his strengths, here he's had to get out of his comfort zone.

ceperez
01-10-2016, 04:38 PM
He's not a passer or ball handler of the caliber of Griffin or Draymond who are very dynamic players. Diaw is another very dynamic PF and West. Lamarcus is average passing, but I think his particular rates were affected specially early by the horrendous start to the season Danny had, bricking open looks and involved in some hideous two man game with Lamarcus. No assists for LMA and no shots made by Green.

We have to appreciate the things he does well while recognizing he got off to a bad start for the season, same as Danny. I wished he was more determined in the post. He's strong and big enough to bully guys, he's just not as skilled or crafty doing so. A lot of post up success involves being crafty and skilled and he's not very much, the closer you get him to the basket. He doesn't pivot with agility looking for angles like Diaw does, and his ballhandling is not good enough to go around guys a little bit.

I hope he continues to get better. I think in terms of his game he's gone through a lot of big changes bc in Portland they played to his strengths, here he's had to get out of his comfort zone.

Well it is very distressing how unskilled LMA looks. The only saving grace is that he's 6'11" and long, however he can't jump, can't pass, shoots just average from mid range, can't dribble ... unbelievable for a max player. I really cannot believe that he's this bad!

ElNono
01-10-2016, 04:42 PM

Agreed. If that shot goes in I'm sure some people would be crying about that double instead of looking back at how we lost that lead in the previous 8 mins. But that's pretty common, I suppose, generally speaking people tend to remember the biggest particular shots over a stretch of play.

spurs10
01-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Not true. Forced Melo to get rid of the ball as soon as he saw the help coming, and he recovered and contested Calderon's shot properly. Melo just hit a turnaround jumper from that same spot over Kawhi a few possessions earlier. I watched that play over many times and feel the same way. Manu doesn't come with the help Melo doesn't get rid of it. Manu got a hand up and forced Calderon to let it go quick.

ElNono
01-10-2016, 04:49 PM
I watched that play over many times and feel the same way. Manu doesn't come with the help Melo doesn't get rid of it. Manu got a hand up and forced Calderon to let it go quick.

Yep, the rear camera (from the Knicks hoop), shows a solid contest. I mean, Calderon could've made the shot anyways, but I felt he had to hurry it or Manu would've gotten in.

spurs10
01-10-2016, 04:51 PM

I hope he continues to get better. I think in terms of his game he's gone through a lot of big changes bc in Portland they played to his strengths, here he's had to get out of his comfort zone. I don't think people were expecting LMA to be so strong defensively. He is a big part of us having the #1 defense in the league. We hear it over and over from the players who hear it over and over from Pop I'm sure ' if you have great defense the offense will eventually come...'

TheDoctor
01-10-2016, 06:05 PM

Untucked jersey Kawhi is the most dangerous Kawhi in the wild tbh.

TheDoctor
01-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Yep, the rear camera (from the Knicks hoop), shows a solid contest. I mean, Calderon could've made the shot anyways, but I felt he had to hurry it or Manu would've gotten in.

Calderon is shooting 89% from 3pt corners this year. With Manu's history (getting burned when contesting buzzer beaters clutch shots), I would say it was luck more than anything IMO :lol

ElNono
01-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Calderon is shooting 89% from 3pt corners this year. With Manu's history (getting burned when contesting buzzer beaters clutch shots), I would say it was luck more than anything IMO :lol

I was looking at his stats, and one things that stands out is that he's taking a lot less 3s since he's been in NY... his percentage has also dipped. Which is also a reflection of Carlisle system vs whatever Fish is running in NY.

UZER
01-10-2016, 09:28 PM
For me, it's not necessarily about this game. It's that Manu would've left Curry in the corner in the same situation. It's a realistic situation that will probably present itself in the playoffs. He gets so caught up in the moment that he has major brain lapses trying to make a play. It's manus blessing and curse.

Robz4000
01-10-2016, 09:36 PM
For me, it's not necessarily about this game. It's that Manu would've left Curry in the corner in the same situation. It's a realistic situation that will probably present itself in the playoffs. He gets so caught up in the moment that he has major brain lapses trying to make a play. It's manus blessing and curse.

Difference is Golden State doesn't have a Fatmelo to draw attention away from Curry. Hell, it'll be Kawhi on Curry most likely in this same situation comes up.

UZER
01-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Difference is Golden State doesn't have a Fatmelo to draw attention away from Curry. Hell, it'll be Kawhi on Curry most likely in this same situation comes up.

And Manu would leave Thompson open to help Kawhi on curry. Point is, don't help off a 3 pt shooter when the guy is taking a tough shot over Kawhi. Only help in that situation if there is no time on the clock for a pass out. You're bailing the guy out by letting him pass to a guy that'll get a cleaner look.

Robz4000
01-10-2016, 10:17 PM
And Manu would leave Thompson open to help Kawhi on curry. Point is, don't help off a 3 pt shooter when the guy is taking a tough shot over Kawhi. Only help in that situation if there is no time on the clock for a pass out. You're bailing the guy out by letting him pass to a guy that'll get a cleaner look.

If Manu moves to help Kawhi when he's got a smaller player like Curry bottled up, they deserve to lose. The worst thing you can do against the Dubs is double off one of their shooters. Hopefully (and most likely) Manu won't do that.

ElNono
01-10-2016, 10:30 PM
There's no Carmelo "bottled up" in that possession, Kawhi is in front of him, and that's about it. Look at TP early in the possession faking he's going to double and backing up, and Melo doesn't even flinch. Curry is a different story, Kawhi at least has a height/length advantage on him. Yet, I would feel much more comfortable if it's Barbosa/Iguodala taking the game winning shot instead of Curry.

It's all 20/20 analysis though, if Melo doesn't pass and hits the tough shot, we'll be talking why we didn't get the ball out of his hands...