PDA

View Full Version : Does MLB Celebrate Bonds Passing Ruth?

dbreiden83080
09-22-2005, 12:07 AM
What do they do when this guy passes probably the best player of all time. Everyone with a brain in their head knows that Bonds is a liar and a cheat so i do not see how MLB can roll out the red carpet for him. My guess is they just let the Giants do their own thing and leave it at that, man do i hate Bonds.

atlfan25
09-22-2005, 12:10 AM
The cloud of suspicion will make this the worst greatest achievement in baseball.

Bonds is just about the greatest hitter the game has seen, but his poor decisions have fucked him and his legacy.

dbreiden83080
09-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Well said couldn't agree with you more.

Horry For 3!
09-22-2005, 12:19 AM
I like Barry Bonds.

Spurminator
09-22-2005, 09:13 AM
I think he'll retire if he passes Ruth this year.

FromWayDowntown
09-22-2005, 11:15 AM
At what point did Bonds lose the American belief in the presumption of innocence? I mean, it's not a governmental thing, but we, as a society, generally accord people a presumption that they are innocent until somebody proves them guilty -- not just until someone suspects that he's guilty.

To my knowledge, Bonds has never tested positive for any banned substances and has denied any knowing use of banned substances. When Palmeiro denied using, the whole world believed him. Somehow, nobody is willing to accord Bonds the same respect, despite the fact that Bonds numbers are far more steady over his career than Palmeiro's are.

The only information linking him to any knowing use of performance-enhancing substances is the testimony of a guy who had a significant interest in saving his own ass.

Bonds is, clearly, the greatest hitter of the last 40 years or so in baseball. He's arguably the most complete player in the history of the game (the only arguments are for Mays and Mantle (when healthy) and Ruth, because he was a damned fine pitcher). He's about to pass one of the most significant milestones in baseball history.

And, oh by the way, after sitting out most of the season with a knee injury and having the steroid witchhunt aimed right at him for the last 6 months or so, he's come back and is hitting home runs at a pace that is better than his rate in 2001 (he homered every 6.52 at bats in 2001 (73/476); he's homered every 5.50 at bats in 2005 (4/22)).

Bonds is a prima donna and a jerk sometimes. But those attributes should not deprive him of the respect his numbers deserve just because some people suspect that he cheated. Prove it first; then I'll buy it.

2centsworth
09-22-2005, 11:26 AM
I Would be shocked if he's juiced right now, and he's still a freak.

Spurminator
09-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I don't know whether Bonds took steroids or not, but I definitely don't think he was doping during 2004, and probably not today either. People are watching him far too closely. It's not worth the risk.

T Park
09-22-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't know whether Bonds took steroids or not

him pretty much admitting he took them, isn't enough?

Okiedoke.

I dont think MLB should celebrate it at all.

Bonds is what is wrong with baseball at this juncture.

2centsworth
09-22-2005, 05:36 PM
him pretty much admitting he took them, isn't enough?

Okiedoke.

I dont think MLB should celebrate it at all.

Bonds is what is wrong with baseball at this juncture.
their problem is no salary cap, not barry bonds.