PDA

View Full Version : Opponents in clutch situations have traped san antonio into PG/BIG only offense.

apalisoc_9
01-08-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm not surprised pop hasnt made any adjusment, its early in the season tbh. As you probably already know, the spurs are the poorest late game team out of maybe the top 5 teams.

But looks like teams around the league took some notes out of the clippers game 7 last year. Teams have been staying put on their man and allowing the PnR to happen with the intention to take the pass away. Theyve also done a decent job of knowing spurs players tendency in clutch situation.

By physically disallowing movement outside, teams have forced the spurs to rely on Parker to take manority of the shots late in the fourth. Its a pretty daring move. They are basically taking away the threat of Green-Ginobili-Leonard or whoever is the other big not screening and force san antonio to win games with a 34 year old.

Always said Doc is an overrated hack, but his decision to give Parker space (main reason why he took 23 shots in game 7) was genuis. Teams are taking notes.

dabom
01-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Everyone knows Enrique is going to show up sooner or later. :lol

apalisoc_9
01-08-2016, 11:15 PM
Everyone knows Enrique is going to show up sooner or later. :lol

Im on my phone man...can you search for the tweet that showed the spurs have a negative net rating in late game situation...it was tweeted two weeks ago IIRC

ducks
01-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Doc dared tp he was hurt playing much better this year

midnightpulp
01-08-2016, 11:24 PM
Clutch play is a worry this year. -8.5 NETRTG in clutch-time. To be fair, the sample size is quite small, since the Spurs have been demolishing teams.

I don't think it's as simplistic as teams just baiting SA into Parker/Big PnRs, though. Lacking that extra penetrator and this team's inability to get to the line are also factors.

Hopefully Pop finds an adjustment. I want to see more of a 2 man game between LMA/Kawhi, as I've said all year. Kawhi is learning how to set up the offense off the dribble more. If he can add that additional skill to his set, then I expect our clutch-time stats to improve. Having 2 guys who can set up the offense in the 4th is huge.

picnroll
01-08-2016, 11:28 PM
OP why don't you tell Holt to hire you as the Spurs' coach?

spursfaninla
01-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Clutch play is a worry this year. -8.5 NETRTG in clutch-time. To be fair, the sample size is quite small, since the Spurs have been demolishing teams.

I don't think it's as simplistic as teams just baiting SA into Parker/Big PnRs, though. Lacking that extra penetrator and this team's inability to get to the line are also factors.

Hopefully Pop finds an adjustment. I want to see more of a 2 man game between LMA/Kawhi, as I've said all year. Kawhi is learning how to set up the offense off the dribble more. If he can add that additional skill to his set, then I expect our clutch-time stats to improve. Having 2 guys who can set up the offense in the 4th is huge.

Agreed.

Still think offense was not the problem in crunchtime this game, it was the D, we gave up 13 in the last 3.5 minutes.

apalisoc_9
01-08-2016, 11:35 PM

It is def as simple as forcing san antonio to run a two man game.
It might work some nights for the spurs but the logic is pretty obvious.

By staying put and playing physical against off ball players, teams have successfully used Parker tendencies to their advatnage.

Its sounds pretty simple but that simple strategy take away a gazillion of other options in clutch situations.

This team wont win a thing this year if they cant figure out a way to counter that. Doc rivers in game 7 did it the whole game ( 23 shots) parker..he thinks hes takinng what the defense is giving them.

And thats fine. No problem with that mindset but its pretty aparent that it isnt a recipe for outplaying your.opponets in clutch games.

midnightpulp
01-08-2016, 11:45 PM

By staying put and playing physical against off ball players, teams have successfully used Parker tendencies to their advatnage.

Its sounds pretty simple but that simple strategy take away a gazillion of other options in clutch situations.

This team wont win a thing this year if they cant figure out a way to counter that. Doc rivers in game 7 did it the whole game ( 23 shots) parker..he thinks hes takinng what the defense is giving them.

And thats fine. No problem with that mindset but its pretty aparent that it isnt a recipe for outplaying your.opponets in clutch games.

The counter would be early Kawhi/LMA postups. If the opponent doubles (which they probably will), you kick it out to shooters and repost/take the shot. The reason I said stopping the Spurs offense can't be that simple is because this team really does have a wealth of offensive options to go to. Kawhi post-ups/isos, LMA pick-and-pops/pinches/post ups, Duncan rolls/pinches/postups, Manu penetration (if he's on the floor). Parker penetration. You really can't stop that many options.

I'll watch tonight's game carefully on LP and see what you're talking about. If we're not countering such a simplistic man defense scheme, it would mean Parker has regressed to dribble/dribble/dribble-take shitty 18 footer.

spursfaninla
01-08-2016, 11:53 PM

which games do you think, besides this one, provide evidence to support you? I can watch any of this season's games, and would like to verify your claims. If true, I don't mind giving you credit.

Just name 2 or 3 games that support your argument, and I will confirm it was a 2 man big/pg offense the last 2 minutes.

the games should be close enough that the opponent was within reach, since the rest of the games likely did not have the starters, and it is not really crunch time if up 10+.

If you can't it would confirm my guess that you are just taking some general statistics about spurs sucking in crunch time, and some anecdotal observations, and are over-generalizing.

apalisoc_9
01-08-2016, 11:56 PM
The counter would be early Kawhi/LMA postups. If the opponent doubles (which they probably will), you kick it out to shooters and repost/take the shot. The reason I said stopping the Spurs offense can't be that simple is because this team really does have a wealth of offensive options to go to. Kawhi post-ups/isos, LMA pick-and-pops/pinches/post ups, Duncan rolls/pinches/postups, Manu penetration (if he's on the floor). Parker penetration. You really can't stop that many options.

I'll watch tonight's game carefully on LP and see what you're talking about. If we're not countering such a simplistic man defense scheme, it would mean Parker has regressed to dribble/dribble/dribble-take shitty 18 footer.

The concern is that neither Aldridge or Leonard have ad time to work on their offensive clutch game becuse the spurs have been blowing out teams left and right and the few times it was close the spurs run their anitquated 2009 offense.

The counter move is prretty obvious. The spurs have managed to generate flowing offense with Kawhi post ups or sets that gets Aldridge ducking deep. In the last month and half. It isnt as ugly as november anymore.

They do that whole game but are forced to watch in late game situations.

This isnt just about finding a countering strategy though. Parker is going to take whatever the defense is giving him. Ita going to be hard for the coaches to tell parker to call a set when he feels like the.defense is giving him an.opportunity by focusing.on off ball players.

apalisoc_9
01-08-2016, 11:58 PM
which games do you think, besides this one, provide evidence to support you? I can watch any of this season's games, and would like to verify your claims. If true, I don't mind giving you credit.

Just name 2 or 3 games that support your argument, and I will confirm it was a 2 man big/pg offense the last 2 minutes.

the games should be close enough that the opponent was within reach, since the rest of the games likely did not have the starters, and it is not really crunch time if up 10+.

If you can't it would confirm my guess that you are just taking some general statistics about spurs sucking in crunch time, and some anecdotal observations, and are over-generalizing.

Dont quote me again you fucktard. I told you to stop quoting me. You are now on my ignore list. Go be a cheerleader and take your vanillla mainstream ass out of this thread.

Kawhitstorm
01-09-2016, 12:21 AM
But looks like teams around the league took some notes out of the clippers game 7 last year. Teams have been staying put on their man and allowing the PnR to happen with the intention to take the pass away. Theyve also done a decent job of knowing spurs players tendency in clutch situation.

By physically disallowing movement outside, teams have forced the spurs to rely on Parker to take manority of the shots late in the fourth. Its a pretty daring move. They are basically taking away the threat of Green-Ginobili-Leonard or whoever is the other big not screening and force san antonio to win games with a 34 year old.

Always said Doc is an overrated hack, but his decision to give Parker space (main reason why he took 23 shots in game 7) was genuis. Teams are taking notes.

It wasn't Doc who came up w/ the skim but rather Rick Carlisle. He was the first coach to take advantage of Porker's decline in the 1st rd of the 2014 playoffs by switching instead of helping. Manu was smart enough to run PnRs w/ Tiago so he can force Dirk to switch but Porky kept dribbling & dribbling after executing the loop expecting the seas to part.:lol

In Gm 7 he finally realized that the defense wasn't going to help & started attacking from the get-go without bothering w/ the loop.

spursfaninla
01-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Dont quote me again you fucktard. I told you to stop quoting me. You are now on my ignore list. Go be a cheerleader and take your vanillla mainstream ass out of this thread.

can't handle actual debate. can only sing to the choir.

boring.

Kawhitstorm
01-09-2016, 12:26 AM

Kawhi in crunch time is reduced to being a spot up shooter while Porky runs PnRs w/ LMA. It's basically the Chris Paul/Blake PnR w/ ReDick on the strong-side except Porker is not an elite mid-range threat so competent defenses give him that shot. Tonight the Knicks made a mistake of giving him the driving lanes instead of sagging but Calderon is one of the worst defenders in NBA history.:lol

GSH
01-09-2016, 12:28 AM
Oh horseshit. The Spurs are NOT the "poorest late game team out of maybe the top 5 teams." It's just not true. I'm so fucking sick of this talk about the Spurs' "clutch-time" play being so terrible. So you finally forced me to go to the numbers. So we're looking that the league's "clutch time" stats:

The Spurs have been in 13 "clutch" games. Tied with Golden State for the fewest. So for starters, they don't get into "clutch" situations much.

The Warriors have a 100% win percentage in clutch time. The Spurs win percentage in clutch time is 61.5% which is sixth, but basically it's a statistical tie for 2-6. In other words, the Spurs are as good in clutch time as anyone - except Golden State.
The Spurs FG% in clutch time is 45.0 which is third in the league. The Warriors are 10th in the league at 43.5%. Really? The Spurs clutch FG% is better than the Warriors?
The Spurs 3P percentage in clutch time has been a pathetic 23.5%, good for 22nd in the league. There's on problem.
The Spurs shoot an average of 2.5 free throws in clutch situations, which is tied for fourth worst in the league. There's another problem. Golden State takes an average of 5.2 free throws in clutch time - second best.

But you really only have to look at one thing to understand why the Warriors are better than everyone else in clutch time: DefRtg.
The Spurs DefRtg in clutch time is 112.1 which is among the worst in the league. Compare that to Golden State's DefRtg of 75.1 in clutch time, and you have your answer.

The Spurs' DefRtg is the best in the league, overall, at 93.6 - but in clutch time they have gotten torched. Golden State's DefRtg is third best overall, at 98.1 - but in clutch time, they have been successful in playing their very best defense. Bottom line, the Warriors have been able to ratchet up their defensive intensity in clutch situations. That's why they have 2 losses, and the Spurs have 6. If you want to speculate about why the Spurs haven't defended as well in crunch time, fire away. But stop with the fucking "Tony Parker sucks" line of bullshit. You suck. End of story.

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/clutch/?sort=W_PCT&dir=1

apalisoc_9
01-09-2016, 12:29 AM
It wasn't Doc who came up w/ the skim but rather Rick Carlisle. He was the first coach to take advantage of Porker's decline in the 1st rd of the 2014 playoffs by switching instead of helping. Manu was smart enough to run PnRs w/ Tiago so he can force Dirk to switch but Porky kept dribbling & dribbling after executing the loop expecting the seas to part.:lol

In Gm 7 he finally realized that the defense wasn't going to help & started attacking from the get-go without bothering w/ the loop.

:lol

Yeah that happened too.

I was just saying that teams outside of the ones with good coaches didnt.follow suit till this year...

The loop has been pretty much relegated to a two man game now or am 18 foot jumper it doesnt generate the same amount of offense as it did 2012 :lol...

The issue now is that teams have the luxury to gameplan their defenses that uses Parker as the tool. I have no idea how you go around it since parker is not a natural passer. Majority of his.passes on PnR go to the.rollers or the poper which is fine but when he handles the ball it eliminates the option to passing the ball back.the perimetter. Hes either too scared to make that pass or tunnel vision

apalisoc_9
01-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Oh horseshit. The Spurs are NOT the "poorest late game team out of maybe the top 5 teams." It's just not true. I'm so fucking sick of this talk about the Spurs' "clutch-time" play being so terrible. So you finally forced me to go to the numbers. So we're looking that the league's "clutch time" stats:

The Spurs have been in 13 "clutch" games. Tied with Golden State for the fewest. So for starters, they don't get into "clutch" situations much.

The Warriors have a 100% win percentage in clutch time. The Spurs win percentage in clutch time is 61.5% which is sixth, but basically it's a statistical tie for 2-6. In other words, the Spurs are as good in clutch time as anyone - except Golden State.
The Spurs FG% in clutch time is 45.0 which is third in the league. The Warriors are 10th in the league at 43.5%. Really? The Spurs clutch FG% is better than the Warriors?
The Spurs 3P percentage in clutch time has been a pathetic 23.5%, good for 22nd in the league. There's on problem.
The Spurs shoot an average of 2.5 free throws in clutch situations, which is tied for fourth worst in the league. There's another problem. Golden State takes an average of 5.2 free throws in clutch time - second best.

But you really only have to look at one thing to understand why the Warriors are better than everyone else in clutch time: DefRtg.
The Spurs DefRtg in clutch time is 112.1 which is among the worst in the league. Compare that to Golden State's DefRtg of 75.1 in clutch time, and you have your answer.

The Spurs' DefRtg is the best in the league, overall, at 93.6 - but in clutch time they have gotten torched. Golden State's DefRtg is third best overall, at 98.1 - but in clutch time, they have been successful in playing their very best defense. Bottom line, the Warriors have been able to ratchet up their defensive intensity in clutch situations. That's why they have 2 losses, and the Spurs have 6. If you want to speculate about why the Spurs haven't defended as well in crunch time, fire away. But stop with the fucking "Tony Parker sucks" line of bullshit. You suck. End of story.

Worst and most inaccure use of statistical data. :lmao

GSH
01-09-2016, 12:32 AM

So name the other 4 best teams that the Spurs are worse than.

It's absolutely fucking accurate. You can't argue with it, so you use emotes. You worthless taint-licking phony. Go start another dozen threads to distract from this fucking debacle.

apalisoc_9
01-09-2016, 12:37 AM

It's absolutely fucking accurate. You can't argue with it, so you use emotes. You worthless taint-licking phony. Go start another dozen threads to distract from this fucking debacle.

Settle down old man. Those cheesy buritos is going to clog your arteries. Just cheer for your team and lets the basketball guys talk about the x and o. You are.too old for this shit.

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 12:37 AM

Not surprising at all since the Spurs clutch time backcourt most frequently used is Parker-Manu.

spursfaninla
01-09-2016, 12:38 AM
Kawhi in crunch time is reduced to being a spot up shooter while Porky runs PnRs w/ LMA. It's basically the Chris Paul/Blake PnR w/ ReDick on the strong-side except Porker is not an elite mid-range threat so competent defenses give him that shot. Tonight the Knicks made a mistake of giving him the driving lanes instead of sagging but Calderon is one of the worst defenders in NBA history.:lol

parker jump-shot stats (not 3s)

10-14 ft 15-38 39% (not good)
15-19 ft: 40-75 53% (very good)
20+ ft 23-49 46% (more than acceptable)

guess whose jumpshooting numbers these are for the spurs:

10-14 ft 40-88 45% (ok)
15-19 ft 44-108 40.7% (not good)
20+ 48-111 43.2%

although I dont' like us taking long range jump shots at all in crunch time if we can get more efficient shots generally, I will take parker's 53% long range jumper if open.

SpurPadre
01-09-2016, 12:39 AM

I didn't like TP's play in the 4th tonight but GSH was on the money here with the MAIN issues. Explain your stance why he's not on point, here.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-09-2016, 12:41 AM
LOL. Fanboys think they know how to
coach basketball.

spursfaninla
01-09-2016, 12:41 AM

this is what people do when they can't actually beat your argument. they dance around and try to be funny.

but to actually win an argument, you need to be funny and actually win with a counter argument, not just an assertion and hot air.

apalisoc_9
01-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Arguing numbers when Kawhistrom was clealry talking about flow. :lmao

Omg.

lilbthebasedgod
01-09-2016, 12:54 AM
We have a negative netrtg because we play our third stringers against their second and sometimes first string.

There is a concern however

Kawhitstorm
01-09-2016, 01:18 AM
although I dont' like us taking long range jump shots at all in crunch time if we can get more efficient shots generally, I will take parker's 53% long range jumper if open.

This basically mean all hope hinges on Tony making mid-range shots, he bricked the lone mid-range shot that the Knicks gave him right before the game final possession. You have to diversity the offense b/c if Tony is cold then the team is going to sink w/ him.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-09-2016, 01:22 AM

In clutch situations? Let's see:

GSW is better than us in the clutch because they are so dynamic and have so many good options and they're nigh impossible to beat at home because of that booming crowd noise.

CLE is better than us because they still have the most versatile and talented player in the game and they have another guy who is pretty darn good, too. It's basically the Heatles big 3 with a younger (though just as injury prone) star SG and a PF who's worse on defense but better on the glass and a better shooter.

OKC is better than us because they have 2 hydrogen bombs that are absolutely deadly and always tend to make the right decisions when they matter most. On the off chance they don't, they usually get lucky and/or get sucked off by the refs.

LAC is better than us because they have that pick-n-roll that they can spam every play near the end and it's unstoppable if Blake is making those free throw line jumpers. You can't sag off their shooters, can't give up the Jordan lob dunk, and Paul is a dead eye pull up shooter in the clutch as well. You pretty much have to hope Jordan catches the ball not in a position to dunk so you can foul him.

houston spurs fan
01-09-2016, 02:31 AM
meaningless game in January and you guys are acting like we just lost a game 7. We not in the playoffs, we aren't even in the home stretch. These team will be totally different later on...not worried

will_spurs
01-09-2016, 02:44 AM
I didn't like TP's play in the 4th tonight but GSH was on the money here with the MAIN issues. Explain your stance why he's not on point, here.

Apo's stance: any data that shows it's not Parker's fault is "useless", "inaccurate" and "lies".

Obstructed_View
01-09-2016, 08:50 AM
I'm not surprised pop hasnt made any adjusment, its early in the season tbh. As you probably already know, the spurs are the poorest late game team out of maybe the top 5 teams.

It's really easy to watch a shot bounce out and go, "I knew that was going to happen."

Obstructed_View
01-09-2016, 08:52 AM
In clutch situations? Let's see:

GSW is better than us in the clutch because they are so dynamic and have so many good options and they're nigh impossible to beat at home because of that booming crowd noise.

CLE is better than us because they still have the most versatile and talented player in the game and they have another guy who is pretty darn good, too. It's basically the Heatles big 3 with a younger (though just as injury prone) star SG and a PF who's worse on defense but better on the glass and a better shooter.

OKC is better than us because they have 2 hydrogen bombs that are absolutely deadly and always tend to make the right decisions when they matter most. On the off chance they don't, they usually get lucky and/or get sucked off by the refs.

LAC is better than us because they have that pick-n-roll that they can spam every play near the end and it's unstoppable if Blake is making those free throw line jumpers. You can't sag off their shooters, can't give up the Jordan lob dunk, and Paul is a dead eye pull up shooter in the clutch as well. You pretty much have to hope Jordan catches the ball not in a position to dunk so you can foul him.

Oh my god, this may be the funniest post I've ever read on this site. Nicely done. :lmao

Boogie Munster
01-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Oh my god, this may be the funniest post I've ever read on this site. Nicely done. :lmao

"OKC is better than us because they have 2 hydrogen bombs that are absolutely deadly and always tend to make the right decisions when they matter most. On the off chance they don't, they usually get lucky and/or get sucked off by the refs.'

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Seventyniner
01-09-2016, 10:17 AM

The best part is that GSH just showed that the Spurs' issues in crunch time are mostly on defense, then that post goes on to mention offense only.

Obstructed_View
01-09-2016, 10:36 AM
"OKC is better than us because they have 2 hydrogen bombs that are absolutely deadly and always tend to make the right decisions when they matter most. On the off chance they don't, they usually get lucky and/or get sucked off by the refs.'

:lmao:lmao:lmao

I thought of Westbrook throwing up that shot that hit the top of the backboard with plenty of time left on the clock.

spursfaninla
01-09-2016, 02:25 PM
I really appreciate that people are bringing meaningful takes with something more than "because I think so" as their reasoning, and also willing to do some work and compile data to support their argument.

but...but...but "flow."

"Flow" means nothing, unless you mean a motion offense. If that is what you mean, you should just say you want them to run more motion offense instead of pnr.

But just saying "flow" brings nothing. raise the bar.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2016, 02:29 PM

Dont quote me again you fucktard. I told you to stop quoting me. You are now on my ignore list. Go be a cheerleader and take your vanillla mainstream ass out of this thread.lol meltdown

Spurs_619
01-09-2016, 03:07 PM
If we don't give Kawhi and LMA the chance to close out games now they are going to crumble when we go to them come playoff time.

spursfaninla
01-09-2016, 03:22 PM
absolutely agreed that kawhi and LA need to be our closers long term.

However, I don't think Kawhi has shown much proficiency with the 2 man game to date, mostly because Kawhi's relative weaknesses are 1)handles and 2) passing. Tough to have a diverse 2 man game with those weaknesses.

Also, pnr works best with a small and a big; kawhi and LA pnr is not going to be that effective since they can likely switch with small risk of mismatch.

Mostly what I see is iso play, putbacks, transition scoring, and 3pt shots coming from collapsing defense.

TDfan2007
01-09-2016, 08:24 PM

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/clutch/?sort=W_PCT&dir=1

https://media.giphy.com/media/kZ7uwM7CzoTvO/giphy.gif

/thread