PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi/Duncan 8th best PnR pairing in the league..

spursistan
01-10-2016, 03:00 PM

And you wonder why folks gripe about Kawhi offensive role..The regular season is about expanding such stuff when it comes to utilizing the talents of your best player (s).. Kawhi/LMA Pnr is something to explore, too..Varying the offensive structures is crucial for this team specially in clutch situations..

BillMc
01-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Surprised Timmy is the best of our guys to pair with Kawhi on PNR.

SAGirl
01-10-2016, 03:18 PM
The same thing I thought, but they have chemistry from years playing together and Td is still a good screener. I think LMA slips many screens and he prefers popping to rolling by far.

dabom
01-10-2016, 03:20 PM
The same thing I thought, but they have chemistry from years playing together and Td is still a good screener. I think LMA slips many screens and he prefers popping to rolling by far.

apalisoc_9
01-10-2016, 03:36 PM
The Duncan and Kawhi PnR works because Timmy isnt looking to roll or Pop. Hes just setting up kawhi for a shot. Thats terrible but it works becausr defenses dont really defend it enough to gameplan against it.

If they take away the midrange from kawhi, its going to be awful.

ducks
01-10-2016, 03:38 PM
So if they run it to Much during regular season would not work in postseason

SPURt
01-10-2016, 06:38 PM
That Crabbe/Davis pairing is lethal

Kawhitstorm
01-10-2016, 06:44 PM
That Crabbe/Davis pairing is lethal

Ed Davis has been a very good PnR player b/c he know how to finish at the rim. Lou Williams has also been a highly rated PnR player b/c he's very good at pulling up for a jumper or getting to the rim (he's just streaky, a gunner & a mediocre spot-up shooter aka a poor man's Russell Westbrook).

spurraider21
01-10-2016, 07:24 PM
duncan pick and roll/2-man game is inefficient and antiquated :madrun

dabom
01-10-2016, 07:31 PM
duncan pick and roll/2-man game is inefficient and antiquated :madrun

Are you a dumbass? :lmao

100%duncan
01-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Meh keep tim away from any pnr action u til he gets his shot bakc imho. Id rather roll with parker lma and kawhi lma combinations for the starting lineup or end game situations.

All Mighty Janitor
01-10-2016, 08:33 PM
The Duncan and Kawhi PnR works because Timmy isnt looking to roll or Pop. Hes just setting up kawhi for a shot. Thats terrible but it works becausr defenses dont really defend it enough to gameplan against it.

If they take away the midrange from kawhi, its going to be awful.

They can't take away Kawhi's mid-range w/o giving up a 3 or layup/foul even if they switch, right? So what are you referring to?

Kawhitstorm
01-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Meh keep tim away from any pnr action u til he gets his shot bakc imho.

Tim has been trying to rediscover his shot for the past 2 seasons.:lmao Tim sets the best screen & that is all Kawhi needs to free up himself for a shot.

midnightpulp
01-10-2016, 09:24 PM
From the times I've seen it ran, it's a solid play, usually resulting in Kawhi getting an isolation situation or Duncan having a rolling lane. See here:

http://oi67.tinypic.com/v73v49.jpg

Would like to see it ran more with LMA, since LMA is more lethal from the "pop" area, obviously.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Meh. Stats are misleading. All I would do is have the players switch. Even with a big on Kawhi he still could get to the rim and Tim shooting the outside J is a win for the defense. Spurs are best when Parker is handling the ball

Kawhitstorm
01-11-2016, 03:05 AM
Would like to see it ran more with LMA, since LMA is more lethal from the "pop" area, obviously.

Again, Pop doesn't want LMA/Kawhi running the 2 man game b/c he wants to stretch out the defense. Besides, PFs can switch onto Kawhi much better than centers.

IIRC, Melo/Amare rarely run PnRs although it was lethal when they run it.

midnightpulp
01-11-2016, 03:16 AM
Again, Pop doesn't want LMA/Kawhi running the 2 man game b/c he wants to stretch out the defense. Besides, PFs can switch onto Kawhi much better than centers.

IIRC, Melo/Amare rarely run PnRs although it was lethal when they run it.

Good point. And the Duncan/Kawhi PnR also draws out the center/shotblocker, so if Kawhi has a drive, it's that much easier. Sure, Kawhi could beat Blake on a switch, but DeAndre will still be there roaming the paint.

Might be good to run against the Thunder, though, since Ibaka is their primary anchor. I'll take Kawhi finishing over Steven Adams.

Kawhitstorm
01-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Good point. And the Duncan/Kawhi PnR also draws out the center/shotblocker, so if Kawhi has a drive, it's that much easier. Sure, Kawhi could beat Blake on a switch, but DeAndre will still be there roaming the paint.

Might be good to run against the Thunder, though, since Ibaka is their primary anchor. I'll take Kawhi finishing over Steven Adams.

Ibaka can't cheat if LMA is on the opposite wing, Kawhi is going to pull up for a mid-range against Adams anyways or drive then dish if he tries to come out to the elbow. Unlike Adams/Kanter, Ibaka would actually be able to switch & check Kawhi.

apalisoc_9
01-11-2016, 04:34 AM
The only scenario where a kawhi/LMA PnP or work would work is if they are surrounded by shooters. When you have Duncan and Parker in the same floor its probably not the best way to go.

Kawhi with TD allows Aldridge to be on the other side of the ball.

I suspect that by next year when the spurs are going to start giving kawhi the PnR helm, the SL would change. That or the rotatiom would change...somewhere where Kawhi and LMA are surrounded by shooters like mills-Green and Manu in majority of their minutes.

That lineup could potentially be a desperation lineup against smallball warriors.

DenialTwist
01-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Stacey King, Bulls announcer, talked about this KL/Duncan pnr when they played in Chicago last time.

midnightpulp
01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Ibaka can't cheat if LMA is on the opposite wing, Kawhi is going to pull up for a mid-range against Adams anyways or drive then dish if he tries to come out to the elbow. Unlike Adams/Kanter, Ibaka would actually be able to switch & check Kawhi.

I thought about that, but damn, Kawhi is really becoming a monster in one-on-one situations. Ibaka is indeed a good defender, but I think him vs. Kawhi is an advantage for Kawhi.

Kawhitstorm
01-11-2016, 04:19 PM
I thought about that, but damn, Kawhi is really becoming a monster in one-on-one situations. Ibaka is indeed a good defender, but I think him vs. Kawhi is an advantage for Kawhi.

Kawhi would have an advantage but it won't be as glaring as Kawhi/Adams.

Spurtacular
01-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Why is that surprising? LMA sets screens for sh**. Was West or Boban supposed to be better otherwise?