PDA

View Full Version : Deshaun Jackson slacks, showboats thus misses pylon for touchdown

MultiTroll
01-11-2016, 04:14 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/10/10746394/washington-green-bay-highlights-desean-jackson-touchdown

All I can say is perhaps he forgot the rule that it is the ball that has to touch the goal line plane or pylon.
He may have brain farted and thought any part of his body crossing plane/pylon was a touchdown.

Either way, to slow up after he caught the ball. Smh.

I do not think it is an exaggeration to say this changed the completion of the game. Skins had all the momentum going.
Of course Gruden sticking with Cousins was the nail but....

Chinook
01-11-2016, 04:51 PM
WTF? That should be a touchdown. That's exactly the situation where "the goal line extends around the world" applies. Either the player OR the ball is supposed to be inside the pylon. Just a really bad ruling.

MultiTroll
01-11-2016, 05:29 PM
WTF? That should be a touchdown. That's exactly the situation where "the goal line extends around the world" applies. Either the player OR the ball is supposed to be inside the pylon. Just a really bad ruling.
The rule is the ball has to break any part of the plane.
That is why you see QBs at times getting stuffed at the line, keep their legs chugging as tho they were crushing grapes and then extend the ball over the plane. Otherwise they would just extend the hand not holding the ball over. Would be easier and could reach further.

Or when halfbacks like LT would do the jump and plunge, they shove the ball forward. Otherwise they could just tuck the ball securely in their armpit and extend one hand like Heil Hitler.

Chinook
01-11-2016, 06:08 PM
The rule is the ball has to break any part of the plane.
That is why you see QBs at times getting stuffed at the line, keep their legs chugging as tho they were crushing grapes and then extend the ball over the plane. Otherwise they would just extend the hand not holding the ball over. Would be easier and could reach further.

Or when halfbacks like LT would do the jump and plunge, they shove the ball forward. Otherwise they could just tuck the ball securely in their armpit and extend one hand like Heil Hitler.

Condescending bolding notwithstanding, I think you misunderstood what I said. The ball has to break the plane, but the plane isn't bound by the pylons. That's where the phrase, "The goal line extends around the world" comes from. So long as the player is still in bounds, they can hold the ball on the other side of the pylon and break the plane.

Apparently, that rule has been tweaked a bit in recent years to prevent situations like Vick's 2005 dive (where literally the only part inside the pylon was this hand). But I think it's at least an open question whether Jackson was still in bounds when the ball crossed the plane.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81505ba3/Week-14-official-review-bonus-coverage

Obstructed_View
01-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Condescending bolding notwithstanding, I think you misunderstood what I said. The ball has to break the plane, but the plane isn't bound by the pylons. That's where the phrase, "The goal line extends around the world" comes from. So long as the player is still in bounds, they can hold the ball on the other side of the pylon and break the plane.

Apparently, that rule has been tweaked a bit in recent years to prevent situations like Vick's 2005 dive (where literally the only part inside the pylon was this hand). But I think it's at least an open question whether Jackson was still in bounds when the ball crossed the plane.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81505ba3/Week-14-official-review-bonus-coverage

Yep, that's definitely changed recently, as I'm pretty sure that guys have scored touchdowns by crossing the plane before a foot came down out of bounds, with no part of them being actually in the end zone.

MultiTroll
01-12-2016, 10:18 AM

No, the ball does not have to break the plane according to Pereira. In the video you linked, Browns guy the ball never breaks the plane yet it is ruled a touchdown.
But his left foot comes down in the endzone.
The difference (that i can see) between the nfl video Browns touchdown vs Jacksons no t.d. is Jacksons left foot never touches ground inside the endzone.

Would be interesting to hear Periera explaination of the Deshaun Jackson no touchdown.

Regardless, with Deshauns Jacksons history of showboating away touchdowns this was a huge error.

Chinook
01-12-2016, 12:22 PM
No, the ball does not have to break the plane according to Pereira. In the video you linked, Browns guy the ball never breaks the plane yet it is ruled a touchdown.
But his left foot comes down in the endzone.
The difference (that i can see) between the nfl video Browns touchdown vs Jacksons no t.d. is Jacksons left foot never touches ground inside the endzone.

Would be interesting to hear Periera explaination of the Deshaun Jackson no touchdown.

Regardless, with Deshauns Jacksons history of showboating away touchdowns this was a huge error.

I think you're having an issue understanding what the "plane" is. It's like a curtain that hangs above the whole world. And the pylons are just two points along the plane -- not its bounds. In the example, the Browns guy DID cross the plane. He was just out of bounds when he did it. I couldn't find an example of Vick's TD where he did that weird dive, but it was a much better example of what used to be allowed.

leemajors
01-12-2016, 12:26 PM
I don't know why Jackson continues to do lazy shit like this.

Avante
01-12-2016, 03:34 PM
So many of these guys would be working at Wendys, Burger King etc, if not for their athletic ability.