PDA

View Full Version : Rest TP, TD and Manu against the Cavs, tbh...

ElNono
01-12-2016, 10:27 PM
- You don't want to have a situation like last season where Tim and Manu burned out due to a crazy stretch of games in December and never really recovered

- There's no point in killing ourselves to catch the Dubs, who look like they're not going to drop many games anyways

- We have a 3 game lead on the Cavs and 6 game lead on the Thunder. Perfectly fine to drop one now

- Showcase Kawhi-Lebron, LMA, West... increase trade value of Simmons, Boban, Kyle

- Nationally televised game, perfect game for resting, per the usual Pop goods

- I'm not even sure we'll lose the game, tbh

TheGreatYacht
01-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Great games from them tonight :worthy:

Manu will be sore tomorrow after that fall... And hopefully Green's elbow is nothing serious

ElNono
01-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Not even trolling...

Robz4000
01-12-2016, 10:32 PM
They have two games off after followed by another three after the Dallas game which is also at home.

ironman2886
01-12-2016, 10:35 PM
I think TP should play. No Manu or TP handling the ball seems like a nightmare of a game. Mills and McCallum are pretty bad.

Horry Hipcheck
01-12-2016, 10:44 PM
The Spurs have a schedule leading into the Dubs matchup that offers ample rest. Unless the game on Thursday goes triple OT again, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to play everyone with managed minutes, keep momentum going, and still get time to recover for GSW. Beat GSW 3 or 4 times out of four and beat the competition they could potentially lose to and that 4 game lead of theirs disappears. No reason for the vets to kill themselves against Cleveland but no reason to hand them a victory when the Spurs have to play them again in like ten days.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-12-2016, 10:45 PM
It's a home game, OP.

N-O.

TMTTRIO
01-12-2016, 10:48 PM
I thought the plan was to rest Manu on back to backs. Lately that hasn't been the case. I hope he does.

pgardn
01-12-2016, 10:50 PM
It's a home game, OP.

N-O.

So what?

TDomination
01-12-2016, 10:51 PM
if this was a road game, then maybe. but not at home. we need to play our guys

ElNono
01-12-2016, 10:52 PM
It's a home game, OP.

N-O.

You think Pop gives a crap about that streak?

dabom
01-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Pop never benches at home. Just did it for one of the first times with LMA this season but other than that he doesn't bench at home. We have that home record. He can't take try to take that away.

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 10:54 PM
no

DAF86
01-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Should have rest them tonight. Surprised he didn't, tbh.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Pop never benches at home. Just did it for one of the first times with LMA this season but other than that he doesn't bench at home. We have that home record. He can't take try to take that away.

Unless it's against some godawful team like the Sixers or something.

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 10:58 PM
They have two days rest after Thurs. so no, you don't rest them, especially against a team you're trying to keep HCA against.

UNT Eagles 2016
So what?

We won't beat them in the finals without HCA. We have to win the home game if nothing else, can't give them 2 games of ground on us

dabom
Unless it's against some godawful team like the Sixers or something.

:lol

UNT Eagles 2016
01-12-2016, 11:00 PM
They have two days rest after Thurs. so no, you don't rest them, especially against a team you're trying to keep HCA against.

This. :toast

SAGirl
- You don't want to have a situation like last season where Tim and Manu burned out due to a crazy stretch of games in December and never really recovered

- There's no point in killing ourselves to catch the Dubs, who look like they're not going to drop many games anyways

- We have a 3 game lead on the Cavs and 6 game lead on the Thunder. Perfectly fine to drop one now

- Showcase Kawhi-Lebron, LMA, West... increase trade value of Simmons, Boban, Kyle

We'll see. The guys are competitive themselves and Kawhi will want to show up that game. I doubt the old vets will want to sit if they can play.

That said, forget about trade values for guys. I don't think we are trading anyone this season. Not only the winning record and all, but guys have a lot if chemistry and that is important.

I do think however, that the Simmons/Kyle/Boban trio need more seasoning against good competition to be ready to step up a little more when the team is in a funk, particularly Patty/Danny not hitting shots and you want a spark from somewhere. I think they all can use competing like the real developing players they are. You have to put them in situations they might be a beut overwhelmed but if they figure it out it is a development leap. All young players go through that and even the not so young have to adapt.

LongtimeSpursFan
NNNOOOOO. I paid big bucks for this game

SouthernFried
01-12-2016, 11:01 PM
We've been resting them all season. They can play a little too.

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 11:02 PM
We'll see. The guys are competitive themselves and Kawhi will want to show up that game. I doubt the old vets will want to sit if they can play.

That said, forget about trade values for guys. I don't think we are trading anyone this season. Not only the winning record and all, but guys have a lot if chemistry and that is important.

I do think however, that the Simmons/Kyle/Boban trio need more seasoning against good competition to be ready to step up a little more when the team is in a funk, particularly Patty/Danny not hitting shots and you want a spark from somewhere. I think they all can use competing like the real developing players they are. You have to put them in situations they might be a beut overwhelmed but if they figure it out it is a development leap. All young players go through that and even the not so young have to adapt.

I agree but trading with Bud's Hawks would not disrupt this notion at all.

NASpurs
01-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Like I said in the game thread, there's a lot of time to rest between now and after the Mavs game.

TheDoctor
01-12-2016, 11:03 PM
10/10 Bravo :clap

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 11:04 PM
The only real question about Thurs. is who will TP guard? Irving took the fattest of shits on him last time.

NASpurs
01-12-2016, 11:07 PM
The only real question about Thurs. is who will TP guard? Irving took the fattest of shits on him last time.

Yeah no shit, Pop the genius didn't make a change until Kyrie was already rolling. Can't let him get hot otherwise no can stop him as we learned last year.

RD2191
01-12-2016, 11:13 PM
OP come on son. You're better than this.

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Yeah no shit, Pop the genius didn't make a change until Kyrie was already rolling. Can't let him get hot otherwise no can stop him as we learned last year.

Pop was doing his thing of not playing his cards against a potential Finals opponent. He might just roll with that strategy again but who knows?

midnightpulp
01-12-2016, 11:14 PM
We need this test, bro.

ElNono
01-12-2016, 11:15 PM
OP come on son. You're better than this.

Hell no. Legit discussion thread, imo

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 11:17 PM
Just rest them next week on the b2b's against the suns and lakers. Shrinkwrap and bubblewrap them and then open our toys against the Dubs, tbh.

ElNono
01-12-2016, 11:17 PM
Didn't Pop rest everybody against the Champs Heat det one time he was fined? It was on the road, but he'll sit guys if he thinks they need the rest.

RD2191
01-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Hell no. Legit discussion thread, imo

The only reason I can think of Pop resting players is not to show his full hand against a potential finals opponent.

dabom
01-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Didn't Pop rest everybody against the Champs Heat det one time he was fined? It was on the road, but he'll sit guys if he thinks they need the rest.

Away from home. He usually already works the minutes so they specifically play at home.

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 11:20 PM

That was on a b2b schedule. No point in doing it this time at San Antonio unless Pop has a legitimate agenda against TNT, which he doesn't.

ElNono
01-12-2016, 11:21 PM
LETS WAIT AND SEE

SpurSwag
01-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Only player that I could understand benching is Manu, just cuz he took a hard fall tonight and is coming off a back 2 back, he could probably stand to get some rest. But even then I think he should be good to go, like others have pointed out they have a couple days off after this game anyways

RD2191
01-12-2016, 11:22 PM
LETS WAIT AND SEE

:lol who hacked Nono's account tbh?

DarrinS
01-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Just rest TP. He earned it. All that dribbling and shooting.

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 11:25 PM
I do wish we had the 2nd game of the night, though. Why the fuck isn't this the main event matchup?

SpursIndonesia
01-12-2016, 11:27 PM
I don't really care about catching the Dubs at the standing, but inflicting a loss on the Cavs is very strategic for the team's post season interest.

Nathan89
01-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Spurs have has a weak schedule and this is a nice test. The Spurs won't get as many tough games considering the scheduling of the Warriors games at the end of the season. We need to play it.

Kawhitstorm
01-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Pop was resting Butler, Bonner, Ray, West for that particular reason.:rolleyes

Budkin
01-12-2016, 11:38 PM
I do wish we had the 2nd game of the night, though. Why the fuck isn't this the main event matchup?

Our game against the Warriors is on NBA TV :lol

SpurPadre
01-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Our game against the Warriors is on NBA TV :lol

Luckily, I'll be at that game! The lone Spurs fan in the arena, probably, lol.

Spurtacular
01-12-2016, 11:40 PM

I'd much rather have a four game lead than a two game lead on the Cavs. I don't consider the Thunder a serious threat to pass us, tbh.

PopTheGOAT
01-13-2016, 12:40 AM
We won't beat them in the finals without HCA. We have to win the home game if nothing else, can't give them 2 games of ground on us
Yes they will. If the Spurs make the Finals, it's because they just beat the thunder and warriors lol. No way they'd lose to cavs

PopTheGOAT
01-13-2016, 12:43 AM
I want to see the matchups between us and cavs/warriors just like anyone else, but I'd honestly lmao if Pop rested the big three and/or Aldridge in every prime matchup :lol

PopTheGOAT
01-13-2016, 12:45 AM
Good luck fam. I'm sure you'll have a few buddies tho

SAGirl
01-13-2016, 01:42 AM
I was on camp with ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) (Rest for the vets + development for some guys that are still raw).

However, I kind of do agree that the team needs the test. The young guys will not play in the post season most likely. Meanwhile, this team has played too many injured easy cookie teams, and not been through a whole lot of tough competition and those games against tougher competition have been split. So, all in all I think the vets will want to play, and only guys who are injured will be held out.

100%duncan
01-13-2016, 01:55 AM
We need to win against an elite team imho

SayTown
01-13-2016, 02:02 AM
This could be Duncan and Manu's last season the world deserves to watch them play in as many big games as possible as well as Tim and Manu deserve to play in the last few big games of their career.

DenialTwist
01-13-2016, 02:11 AM
I would rest them all too. Let Mills, Anderson, Boban and Simmons get lots of play against a good team. And since West didn't play against the Pistons he can start on Thursday. But I don't think Pop's gonna rest anyone.

Mel_13
01-13-2016, 02:14 AM
Not even trolling...

SpurPadre
01-13-2016, 02:34 AM
Good luck fam. I'm sure you'll have a few buddies tho

Thanks! I will but they're both Dubs fans, lol. They respect and fear the Spurs, though!

SpurPadre
01-13-2016, 02:37 AM
I was on camp with ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) (Rest for the vets + development for some guys that are still raw).

However, I kind of do agree that the team needs the test. The new guys will not play in the post season most likely. Meanwhile, this team has played too many injured easy cookie teams, and not been through a whole lot of tough competition and those games against tougher competition have been split. So, all in all I think the vets will want to play, and only guys who are injured will be held out.

Surely by New guys, you mean only Boban and Simmons, right? West will definitely play in the playoffs.

SAGirl
01-13-2016, 02:52 AM
Surely by New guys, you mean only Boban and Simmons, right? West will definitely play in the playoffs.
lol by new guys I mean the younger guys... I will edit it out.

popdagreat
01-13-2016, 04:10 AM

thinking on going to that game(but probably saving it for the playoffs) which section would you be sitting at?

ceperez
01-13-2016, 06:28 AM
Should have rest them tonight. Surprised he didn't, tbh.

I agree. Pop shortened the rotation, didn't play West, played Boban, Simmons and Anderson very sparingly. At least 5 players played 30+ minutes. It was a back-to-back game.

BillMc
01-13-2016, 06:49 AM
Even the great ElNono is trolling. Don't we have enough trolls on this site?

:depressed

MultiTroll
01-13-2016, 07:43 AM
increase trade value of Boban,

not even funny.

houston spurs fan
01-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Even the great ElNono is trolling. Don't we have enough trolls on this site?

:depressed
He's not trolling. He remembers December last year like I do when I don't think Manu ever recovered. TD played well last night but he looks like he was tired in the 4th. Love TP's aggressiveness last night and we needed it with Kawhi in a funk, but he needs to take it easy until the kick stretch in March. Nono was a little extreme in the take but I get where he's coming from...

100%duncan
01-13-2016, 08:07 AM
This team needs to silence doubts about easy schedules tbh. And besides, this is a needed test plus at home wherein the Spurs is a much better team.

urunobili
01-13-2016, 08:08 AM
#restthempop

cutewizard
01-13-2016, 08:10 AM
Bobannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnized

:bobo

TheDoctor
01-13-2016, 08:22 AM
We need to win against an elite team imho

Actually we don't as the 2013-14 season proved, but it would be great to put a nice cushion over Cleveland. Plus beating LeBron is always sweet.

100%duncan
01-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Actually we don't as the 2013-14 season proved, but it would be great to put a nice cushion over Cleveland. Plus beating LeBron is always sweet.

We need the test. Silence doubts about the easy schedule. Plus revenge against our last regular season home loss when kyrie lit us up. We have only beaten 1 great team in the clippers, a number of good teams and lots of mediocre ones. Plus losing our first home loss against the Cavs would be bad imho Id rather it happen against a scrub ass team when the team inevitably coasts.

houston spurs fan
01-13-2016, 08:45 AM
We need the test. Silence doubts about the easy schedule. Plus revenge against our last regular season home loss when kyrie lit us up. We have only beaten 1 great team in the clippers, a number of good teams and lots of mediocre ones. Plus losing our first home loss against the Cavs would be bad imho Id rather it happen against a scrub ass team when the team inevitably coasts.
I disagree, as the plague mask said look at the 2013-2014 season. In Manu's recent article he even came out and said all they cared about was getting better and staying healthy. You keep talking about doubters, not sure what you mean. It's January, way too early to care about a regular season game...

TheDoctor
01-13-2016, 09:12 AM

You're looking for bragging rights more than anything. But hey, like I said, beating LeBron is always sweet. I'm all IN for tomorrow's matchup.

pgardn
01-13-2016, 09:34 AM
Bullshit.

NameLess Scrub
01-13-2016, 09:35 AM
I like when Pop doesn't show his cards, but the team also needs some burn against the best teams so they can get to know them better and work on improving their performance against them.

At least LMa and West could benefit from it.

With that said, even when resting the old 3, this is still an interesting matchup.

Kawhi has proved he can take it to Lebron. Love is a great offensive player, but he's been weak defensively and the Spurs now have a premier scoring player at the PF position.

Spurs seem like a good anti Lebron team once again on paper, barring crap shot fest by JR Smith or Shumpert.

pgardn
01-13-2016, 09:38 AM
This team needs to silence doubts about easy schedules tbh. And besides, this is a needed test plus at home wherein the Spurs is a much better team.

No we don't.

We silence doubters in the playoffs.
Doubters... Do you think this team is hitting on all cylinders?

look_at_g_shred
01-13-2016, 09:39 AM
IMHO i don't think any of those 3 are getting "burned out". How many blowouts wins have we had this year? They get their rest.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Bullshit.

Historically about ~80% of HCA teams win the Finals and the Spurs have won the Finals 100% of the time with HCA and 0% of the time without it. Can't argue with the numbers.

Spurs9
01-13-2016, 09:41 AM
#startboban :cry

pgardn
01-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Historically about ~80% of HCA teams win the Finals and the Spurs have won the Finals 100% of the time with HCA and 0% of the time without it. Can't argue with the numbers.

Yes you can.

By being the superior team.

pgardn
01-13-2016, 09:46 AM

So we would have lost to the Knicks, Cavs, Nets, and Heat in 2014 without HC advantage?

Bullshit^2

UNT Eagles 2016
01-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Yes you can.

By being the superior team.

We're not THAT superior, tbh. We're better than them, but it's not a huge difference, and HCA will probably decide it. Lebron, Irving, and their shooters are off the hizzay.

We probably would have lost to the 2005 Pistons and 2014 Heat without HCA. Remember the 2013 Finals? Also, not sure we beat the 2003 Nets without HCA either. Jason Kidd was on a mission to atone for the way they were embarrassed in 2002.

Brazil
01-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Just rest TP. He earned it. All that dribbling and shooting.

made me :lol tbh... we have our moments with Darin but when the "bashing" is subtle and well done, I appreciate it

Brazil
01-13-2016, 10:06 AM
OP related post.... Yes tbh

ElNono
01-13-2016, 11:06 AM
He's not trolling. He remembers December last year like I do when I don't think Manu ever recovered. TD played well last night but he looks like he was tired in the 4th. Love TP's aggressiveness last night and we needed it with Kawhi in a funk, but he needs to take it easy until the kick stretch in March. Nono was a little extreme in the take but I get where he's coming from...

this x1000... and all 3 worked their asses off the last two games, not a lot of minute restriction... gotta think big picture here.

SpursFan86
01-13-2016, 11:14 AM
After Cleveland, they have two days off before Dallas on Sunday, and then 3 days off before Phoenix on Thursday.

T Park
01-13-2016, 11:33 AM

Spurs really need to address the coaching problem.

Brazil
01-13-2016, 11:35 AM
this x1000... and all 3 worked their asses off the last two games, not a lot of minute restriction... gotta think big picture here.

:tu

It's good to be back at agreeing on something with ElNono tbh

RD2191
01-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Stfu faggot.

RD2191
01-13-2016, 11:42 AM
100 keepin it 100

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Only player that I could understand benching is Manu, just cuz he took a hard fall tonight and is coming off a back 2 back, he could probably stand to get some rest. But even then I think he should be good to go, like others have pointed out they have a couple days off after this game anyways

I'm not suggesting to rest them in this game, but of the dumbest reasons not to rest them in this game the fact that they have two games of rest afterwards is the dumbest of the dumbest. That is a reason to rest them, not to play them. Playing in between two days of rest on either side of a game is not the same as five days of uniterrupted healing on an old worn out body. Not playing them gives five days of uninterrupted healing. Slapping a game in the middle of that five days and then saying...but but but they have two days of rest after...sheer stupidity. Please stop with this excuse not to rest guys. It's not even close to being equivalent.

Someone having bought expensive tickets causes me to give no shits, either. Pop is usually cognizant of not resting guys during home games, but, if you bought tickets, and he rests some of the old guys, STFU and take one for the team. Watching the second and third string is more fun, anyway, sometimes. But, if you don't think so, still, STFU.

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 12:01 PM

Um, pretty sure he's trolling.

TEXICAN
01-13-2016, 12:13 PM
If we didn't lose that heartbreaker last year id be on board with throwing this one, but that game ruined my Spring break last year so I really want to whoop that ass.

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
I disagree, as the plague mask said look at the 2013-2014 season. In Manu's recent article he even came out and said all they cared about was getting better and staying healthy. You keep talking about doubters, not sure what you mean. It's January, way too early to care about a regular season game...

Agree. Needing a test is a bit emo. Pop probably doesn't worry about that, at this point. Each game is a test, depending upom who is resting, back to back, home vs away. Worrying about the Cavs being a test. Not so much. Want to beat them? Of course, just for the win and potential HCA, but needing a test? Meh.

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 12:17 PM
We're not THAT superior, tbh. We're better than them, but it's not a huge difference, and HCA will probably decide it. Lebron, Irving, and their shooters are off the hizzay.

We probably would have lost to the 2005 Pistons and 2014 Heat without HCA. Remember the 2013 Finals? Also, not sure we beat the 2003 Nets without HCA either. Jason Kidd was on a mission to atone for the way they were embarrassed in 2002.

Worrier speculation. Same reason you lose your shit in the game threads.

Mel_13
01-13-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm not suggesting to rest them in this game, but of the dumbest reasons not to rest them in this game the fact that they have two games of rest afterwards is the dumbest of the dumbest. That is a reason to rest them, not to play them. Playing in between two days of rest on either side of a game is not the same as five days of uniterrupted healing on an old worn out body. Not playing them gives five days of uninterrupted healing. Slapping a game in the middle of that five days and then saying...but but but they have two days of rest after...sheer stupidity. Please stop with this excuse not to rest guys. It's not even close to being equivalent.

Someone having bought expensive tickets causes me to give no shits, either. Pop is usually cognizant of not resting guys during home games, but, if you bought tickets, and he rests some of the old guys, STFU and take one for the team. Watching the second and third string is more fun, anyway, sometimes. But, if you don't think so, still, STFU.

:clap

SpurPadre
01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
thinking on going to that game(but probably saving it for the playoffs) which section would you be sitting at?

Section 119. Tickets there just keep getting more and more expensive. I miss the days when the Dubs were crappy, lol.

Tully365
01-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Can't tell if this is trolling, tbh.
It might be, imo.
But not sure, fwiw.
Eh, doesn't matter, tbqh.

ElNono
01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Not even trolling...

GSH
01-13-2016, 12:49 PM

I don't have any problem with ending the home win streak, if it serves a purpose. I would hate like hell to see the Spurs screw around and drop to the 3 seed at the end - but if that's in danger, probably none of the rest makes any difference anyway. The Cavs are clearly the most likely to make it out of the East, and I would also hate to see the Spurs lose HCA to them, in the event they meet in the Finals - so a game AND a tie-breaker really does have some extra significance. I think the Spurs reserves will be competitive, but I'm not so optimistic about them actually coming out on top at the end. Could happen, but a lot more likely that the Cavs win it in a close contest. I think Pop is smart for giving those guys lots of rest through the regular season, but I'm not so sure that avoiding the top-tier teams has served them well in the past. (I'm not going to write a page on why, but I think it may do more harm than good.)

All that being said, last night was a brutal game and the Spurs have a brutal stretch of games coming up, including the RRT. It feels like a good time to rest players, regardless of who they are playing. And if Pop is going to rest two starters, I'd just as soon see it be three. Seems pretty likely that West rested to take Duncan's place. Good chance Pop would rest either Parker or Manu too. So might as well rest all three and be done with it. If the reserves play well, they will be competitive for sure, and might still come out with a win at home.

The one thing I do know is that whether he rests them, or plays everyone, I'm not going to melt down about what might have been.

BatManu20
01-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Yea we're not resting starters, and we shouldn't. Cavs are only 3 games back of us anyways.

ElNono
01-13-2016, 12:51 PM
I mean, I know it sucks for peeps that bought tickets, and I know I've been on that boat before, but why does it have to be trolling suggesting something like this? It's not new, Pop has done it before, and frankly, those were two tough games we just played. Despite the 20 point blowout against the Nets, we were playing all this guys all the way to the 3rd quarter, and last night they had to play pretty much throughout...

It's perfectly fine to disagree with the idea, tbh, but it's not trolling, it's more about thinking long term...

GSH
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
increase trade value of Simmons, Boban, Kyle

BTW - if you really are trolling, you got me. This part made me at least wonder. You really think the Spurs might make a mid-season acquisition? They would have to get a pretty good player to improve significantly. Do you think any of those guys would be enough to get that done?

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 01:06 PM
BTW - if you really are trolling, you got me. This part made me at least wonder. You really think the Spurs might make a mid-season acquisition? They would have to get a pretty good player to improve significantly. Do you think any of those guys would be enough to get that done?

Yeah, that part got me, too. Also, it's a nationally televised home game vs. the #1 team in the East. Just seems like it will be unlikely, and another game would be more politically correct.

But, I always err on the side of more rest at risk of record, as losing without homecourt advantage has been due to injury, not due to not having HCA, IMHO. All of our significant losses have come with a starter or two having significant injuries, and even then, we have almost won, telling me that health would have won the series even without HCA.

I am like a broken record asking for rest for Parker, especially, as since he's younger he gets overlooked, but is still breaking down yearly. Manu and Tim are no brainers. My answer is usually yes.

But, vs Cavs I could lean either way just for HCA.

But, increase Boban's Trade value. Yeah. Not sure if serious.

Obstructed_View
01-13-2016, 01:17 PM
When the NBA schedules the Spurs on four games in five nights and has the last two on national TV, I'm all for resting as many people as possible. The Spurs have a night off and rest afterwards. I wouldn't shit away my home winning streak to the last team to win there when there's no advantage to it.

hater
01-13-2016, 01:25 PM
One game at home in January is not going to burn our players.

Come on now.

All will play. Guaranteed.

Budkin
01-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Revenge time for choking away another game and losing in OT last season (how many times did that happen?)

hater
01-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Oh and last season we lost because we were just not that good plus our MVP Parker was hurt.

Not because our role players were burned out

raybies
01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
My guess is that someone significant is gonna rest and my money is on either Ginobili or Duncan. You want to win but you definitely don't want to show everything. Not like us to show everything vs top tier team. Saying that I would be extremely surprised if all our team is available. We just have the most to gain if we sit someone. Cause if we win without someone its a blow to their confidence. "We lost and they didn't even play ..." Etc.

Aztecfan03
01-13-2016, 01:40 PM
lol by new guys I mean the younger guys... I will edit it out.

:wow

No Kawhi?

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 01:40 PM
One game at home in January is not going to burn our players.

Come on now.

All will play. Guaranteed.

No one made that argument.

hater
01-13-2016, 01:45 PM
No one made that argument.

First sentence of the OP

SAGirl
01-13-2016, 01:48 PM
:wow

No Kawhi?
:downspin:

ElNono
01-13-2016, 01:54 PM

I think Simmons and Boban especially, have had a ton of hype this season, which is not necessarily undeserved. If somebody offers an interesting piece, it might be something the Spurs could consider.

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 01:57 PM
First sentence of the OP

It didn't say one game would burn them out.

hater
01-13-2016, 02:08 PM
It didn't say one game would burn them out.

It was alluded as the title of the thread is rest our guys for Cavs.

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 02:16 PM
It was alluded as the title of the thread is rest our guys for Cavs.

So, it didn't say one game would burn them out in the first sentence of the OP, as you stated. And, it refers to only two players in the first sentence that doesn't say what you stated. The oldest two. Thanks.

Now you're saying that the title is an allusion to one game burning out all three of the players in the title, which it doesn't say in the title, either. But, I am going to go with no, that's not what was alluded to, but a stretch of games, which is ACTUALLY stated. But, Nono's here. Ask him if he meant to say that one game would ruin them for the rest of the season. Maybe that's what he was alluding to. Or, trolling :)

hater
01-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Disagree completely.

Also disagree with OPs premise that we will burn out our guys by playing them in January.

SAGirl
01-13-2016, 02:45 PM
I think Simmons and Boban especially, have had a ton of hype this season, which is not necessarily undeserved. If somebody offers an interesting piece, it might be something the Spurs could consider.
I didn't really think you were trolling bc to me it seemed like a very valid point to rest guys after they played two games on a B2B that were physical. Brook Lopez was banging hard on D.West. I would not be surprised that Pop just sat out D.West against the Pistons bc Baynes was the bench big he would be going against and D.West was already banged up from the night b4 against Lopez and he's no spring chicken either. Come to think of it, Boris got banged up by Drummond pretty hard...

It was probably a disappointment to Boban fans like myself that Pop only gave him 4 minutes. I know it was a disappointment to Simmons fans that he only got like 4-5 minutes of real game b4 Pop subbed him for fouling and he didn't see the second half when the team built up a lead. I was disappointed that having benched Simmons for fouling, Pop only gave Anderson 2 minutes. It didn't really seem like Pop gave any of these guys enough time to really have any kind of impact helping the team.

Considering how Kawhi/Patty were shooting last night, could you not have given a few minutes to Anderson & Simmons? I do think Pop could have but didn't. He went all in for the Pistons game, and usually when Pop does that, he rests guys after the 2 game marathon.

I actually thought the team could benefit from resting the vets (let them heal up those bodies), plus not show all your cards, plus you get seasoning for some still developing guys, and the team might still win if Kawhi/Aldridge have strong all star type games and the rest of the team is solid.

On the other hand, its a home game, the team needs tests against good teams to get better as a whole, and there is rest after that game.

Veredict: If the vets can play they will want to play, so I think no one will be rested.

spursistan
01-13-2016, 02:46 PM
meh..we won't be giving a free one to a potential Finals opponent with HCA implication..As far as the Warriors, Pop will size it up; if we are still a couple of games within reach by March, he might go for HC with 3 H2H games left..otherwise, there will be plenty of resting at the end season as it looks like we will be comfortably ahead of OKC for the second seed..

DenialTwist
01-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Revenge time for choking away another game and losing in OT last season (how many times did that happen?)

I wonder if Pop makes them watch the video of that game so everyone will be reminded of how Kyrie went off and made 50+ points. That last shot was the dagger man.

EVAY
01-13-2016, 03:17 PM
NNNOOOOO. I paid big bucks for this game

This is the reason that Pop doesn't rest many players at home as much. It is one thing to sit stars when you are on the road, but home ticket buyers expect to see their stars playing in front of them.

I don't think Pop cares about the home win streak, but I think he cares about HCA this year much more than he admits (after last year he ought to care), and I think he has been told by Holt and RC to care about pleasing the home crowds.

NASpurs
01-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Spurs really need to address the coaching problem.

Smart ass comment while denying our infallible coach fucked up.

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 03:55 PM
meh..we won't be giving a free one to a potential Finals opponent with HCA implication..As far as the Warriors, Pop will size it up; if we are still a couple of games within reach by March, he might go for HC with 3 H2H games left..otherwise, there will be plenty of resting at the end season as it looks like we will be comfortably ahead of OKC for the second seed..

There's already precedent to them having done it before. How could anyone forget it? So, saying we won't matter of factly, seems a little silly. We have. Doesn't mean we will again, but to dismiss the possibility entirely so flippantly is to ignore history.

houston spurs fan
01-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Stfu faggot.
What's your problem, you broke jobless bitch?

Brazil
01-13-2016, 04:20 PM
:lol the fact nono put a trollish stuff like it will show off some dudes for a trade does not no mean entire OP is trolling material

this is a valid thread

a 5 days rest for the grand pa would be a solid option for the team.. I would not mind at all throwing this game away, you may end up with the L but you perserve old legs in a context where one game won't change the overall picture... we won't catch GSW anyway... Plus even without those three you still have a chance to get the win and you give PT to boban, simmons, kyle...

Brazil
01-13-2016, 04:22 PM
oh and you give more pt to Green and Patty that need to get their shoot going for christ sake

RD2191
01-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Ban OP for a week imo. :wakeup

RD2191
01-13-2016, 04:24 PM
What's your problem, you broke jobless bitch?

My problem is that you're a pussy.

Brazil
01-13-2016, 04:28 PM

unless you want to eat it, I don't see why the fact he is a pussy is a problem tbh..

RD2191
01-13-2016, 04:33 PM
unless you want to eat it, I don't see why the fact he is a pussy is a problem tbh..
It's a problem because the lil faggot is always talking shit.

dabom
01-13-2016, 04:33 PM

littlecoyotecoin
01-13-2016, 04:35 PM
This is the reason that Pop doesn't rest many players at home as much. It is one thing to sit stars when you are on the road, but home ticket buyers expect to see their stars playing in front of them.

I don't think Pop cares about the home win streak, but I think he cares about HCA this year much more than he admits (after last year he ought to care), and I think he has been told by Holt and RC to care about pleasing the home crowds.

Yup. The short-sighted fans need to see their aging stars, even if it's at a detriment to the long-term goal. It's a difficult road to navigate. Like the Argentinians, Spurs fans should probably learn to let go, and understand 40 (or 38 year olds or even beat up 33 year olds) year olds might be able to play until they're 42 if you don't expect them to play in every home game, carry the team, etc. But, after getting your hair done or off work at the bank, you've just got to see that Timmy play, he's so good, and he's in those commercials.

Personally, I think we'll be in the finals mix as long as TP, MG, and TD are together and playing in any capacity. They add so much stability and corporate knowledge that it just puts us ahead of the rest. If they will keep coming back at low salaries and diminished roles, it makes rebuilding and maintaining that much easier.

Or, we can overplay them so that dumbass ST poster gets to see them at the home game, every home game, Christmas away from the family, etc.

Why make it easy to keep them around as long as possible. Let's push our luck. Ride 'em hard and put 'em up wet.

(This rant not necessarily applicable to this game.)

Brazil
01-13-2016, 04:36 PM

I got that but unless you want to do his pussy or something it should noot be a problem to you

houston spurs fan
01-13-2016, 04:44 PM
What shit did I talk?

AFMadison
01-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Can't tell if this is trolling, tbh.
It might be, imo.
But not sure, fwiw.
Eh, doesn't matter, tbqh.
Joining the krew?

houston spurs fan
01-13-2016, 04:52 PM
You are going to stroke out you fat fuck...it's coming you broke bitch. Your heart is begging you to put down the double whataburger and fries. Please!!!

ElNono
01-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Ban OP for a week imo. :wakeup

sup roberto... i was in las flores for a day, neat town for the touristy type, tbh... asked for roberto diaz but they gave me like 25 addresses... maybe next time...

RD2191
01-13-2016, 06:08 PM
sup roberto... i was in las flores for a day, neat town for the touristy type, tbh... asked for roberto diaz but they gave me like 25 addresses... maybe next time...
:lmao haven't been there in a good while. Hope you enjoyed it.

RD2191
01-13-2016, 06:10 PM
You are going to stroke out you fat fuck...it's coming you broke bitch. Your heart is begging you to put down the double whataburger and fries. Please!!!

Listen faggot, I called you out already and you pussied out like always. 2 grand that I weigh 180-185. Or do you wanna lose more than that?

look_at_g_shred
01-13-2016, 06:12 PM
:lmao da fuck?

houston spurs fan
01-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Listen faggot, I called you out already and you pussied out like always. 2 grand that I weigh 180-185. Or do you wanna lose more than that?
pussied out? Just trying to talk basketball bro. You need to get off my nuts. You just can't help yourself...

Budkin
01-13-2016, 08:09 PM
I wonder if Pop makes them watch the video of that game so everyone will be reminded of how Kyrie went off and made 50+ points. That last shot was the dagger man.

Yeah but the only reason it meant anything was because Kawhi bricked 2 free throws right before that. If he'd made even 1 the game would have been over.

100%duncan
01-13-2016, 08:14 PM
Spurs fan fooling themselves about not caring on tomorrow's match so they dont get hurt when we lose

GSH
01-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Looks like GS just dropped a game to Denver. That would be a full game swing if the Spurs beat the Cavs. HCA getting more possible. Still doesn't matter?

r0drig0lac
01-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Looks like GS just dropped a game to Denver. That would be a full game swing if the Spurs beat the Cavs. HCA getting more possible. Still doesn't matter?

they lost, but Curry is some voodoo shit

GSH
01-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Heh... maybe I spoke too soon? Denver up by 4 with 5.4 seconds, and GS nails a 3 pointer in 2 seconds. GS is good in the 4th quarter.

ElNono
01-13-2016, 11:32 PM
Abort this plan, abort

GSH
01-13-2016, 11:33 PM
they lost, but Curry is some voodoo shit

LOL... voodoo shit is right. That last bit was Curry, Curry, Curry for about 3 minutes. Denver barely squeaked out a 1 point win.

GSH
01-13-2016, 11:35 PM
Abort this plan, abort

Yeah - Spurs can close it to 2 games. Pretty damned amazing, if you think about GS gaudy record. What a season it's been so far.

Horry Hipcheck
01-13-2016, 11:38 PM
LOL... voodoo shit is right. That last bit was Curry, Curry, Curry for about 3 minutes. Denver barely squeaked out a 1 point win.

Gallinari bricks a FT that would have put the Nugs up 3, Thompson gets the rebound and dribbles before calling timeout, refs still advance the ball to halfcourt. Nuggets survived a lot more than Curry, tbh.

Beat Cleveland at full strength tomorrow, get the one game swing. A loss at the Q is more likely anyway. The Spurs get two days off after the Cavs before playing Dallas at home, then a full three days off before starting the west coast swing, including two days off between the Phoenix/Lakers back to back and the GSW game. Kill the Cavs at home, go lighter against Dallas and in Phoenix/LA.

Horry Hipcheck
01-13-2016, 11:39 PM
Heat are also doing work against the Clips right now

r0drig0lac
01-13-2016, 11:43 PM
Heat are also doing work against the Clips right now

Clippers without DAJ and Blake, Miami should win it

Tully365
01-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Joining the krew?

Infiltrating... (ssshhhh, don't tell)

SAGirl
01-14-2016, 01:15 AM
Abort this plan, abort

dabom
01-15-2016, 04:31 AM
Old heads. :lol

From Downtown
01-15-2016, 05:12 AM
These old fellas are quite clutch

SayTown
01-15-2016, 05:55 AM
Well since they played the season is over because now they won't be fresh for the playoffs or play till they are 50