PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades: Spurs @ Pistons, January 12th, 2016

UNT Eagles 2016
01-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Tim Duncan B+ Not much to complain about from Timmy tonight. Set the tone for us by pulling down boards and getting Drummond in early foul trouble. Converted in the post most of the time despite limited opportunities. Defended very well in the 1st half, but a bit soft on defense and the boards in the 2nd. Still a pretty good night for Timmy against one of the better young big men in the NBA as well as that pasty sour cream skinned guy they trotted out there when Drummond went out.

Manu Ginobili A- Made some critical plays offensively at critical junctures. Defended pretty well most of the time, got burned a couple times. A huge steal and rebound late. A few bad turnovers including the one when we were up 19 and could have gone up 20+ but instead the Pistons came back and scored on the other end which eventually ignited them. Overall, I think Manu came to play tonight.

Tony Parker A+ WOW! I didn't know the former Finals MVP had this in him, honestly. Amazing work offensively, particularly in the 3rd quarter. Torched anyone the Pistons dared to put on him. Broke ankles, made jumpers, danced to the rim, made floaters, acrobatic shots at the rim, getting fouled, always making the right play and pass... it almost made me cry of nostagia, seriously. Made a few enormous shots including one enormous three pointer that essentially put the game in the bag once and for all. A whopping 31 points, and most undoubtedly the best performance by a Spur this season thus far. Incredible; needs to keep it up!

Kawhi Leonard F Quite possibly the worst game I've seen out of a healthy Leonard in quite some time. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, wasn't aggressive on either end, repeatedly got burned on screens, lost his man repeatedly defensively. Soft, looked lost and played without heart and effort tonight. Clanked critical free throws. Pathetic performance; is it possible that Leonard simply isn't good enough to take on challenges on a nightly basis.

LaMarcus Aldridge A The man came to play, simply put. When he wasn't knocking down shots, he was grabbing hotly contested rebounds and frequently giving his teammates opportunities to either put the ball back up or score in transition going the other way. Made a few enormous shots in the 4th quarter when we couldn't buy a stop to save our lives in the 4th quarter (we gave up a whopping 33 4th quarter points :wow) to help stem the tide. The two-man game with Tony was incredible tonight; looked very Paul/Blake-esque at times, in all seriousness. Outstanding 22 point performance from LMA.

Danny Green D Outside of his two three-pointers, he was a bone in the Spurs' side once again. Frequently allowed his man to own him on defense, and stunk up the offense for the most part. Botched a three pointer short with literally nobody within 20 feet of him in the 3rd quarter which would have been important for our momentum. Turned the ball over at critical junctures which fueled many of the Pistons' transition opportunities. Absolutely scorched by Caldwell-Pope, and there wasn't a damn thing Green could do about it. Almost as pathetic as that guy he starts with on the perimeter, but not quite given his lower expectations.

Boris Diaw B+ Though he didn't play well early, he certainly made up for it later on. Was a force in the paint offensively after botching a handful of passes in the paint early. Main problem he posed for us was on the defensive glass. Good passing and overall awareness offensively, though his defense left more than a bit to be desired.

Patty Mills D+ Didn't seem to be a factor outside of his deplorable defense. Missed a lot of shots and the "big" one he made didn't even count. A non-factor for the Spurs, but it wasn't for lack of opportunities. A sieve on defense, per par; couldn't guard a soul to save his life.

Jonathon Simmons Inc. Emphatic block on Baynes, fought hard but lost quite a few battles in his limited minutes. It's early in his career, he'll improve.

Kyle Anderson Inc. Got the rebound at the end to make sure the Pistons couldn't get the offensive rebound and get to 100. Not much else to speak of.

Boban Marjanovic Inc. Won some battles, lost some battles against Baynes in his limited minutes early on in the game. Was a non-factor offensively, for a change.

Gregg Popovich C- Even though he won, I thought his responses to situations and adversity were a bit slow and off-kilter tonight. Went up 19, but he couldn't reel his guys in and settle them down so we could pull away and end the game late in the 3rd. Went back up 15, but he failed to do so once again. Ultimately, the players won the game tonight, most particularly Tony and LaMarcus, with valiant supporting efforts from Tim and Manu.

:toast

dabom
01-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Kawhi F? This thread is an F. :lmao

ChumpDumper
01-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Bigger meltdown: UNT in-game or dabom post-game?

Cry Havoc
01-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Tim Duncan played some of the best defense of the season in that 2nd quarter. That's precisely why the Pistons got shut down and we went up big into the half. Deserves a lot of props for that, he single-handedly disrupted about 4 plays in a row.

:tu Props for doing grades, UNT. People are gonna hate on you for it no matter what you do. Just take the idiots with the constructive criticism.

TheGreatYacht
01-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the write up :tu

LongtimeSpursFan
01-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Bigger meltdown: UNT in-game or dabom post-game?

I was going to post same thing

rasuo214
01-12-2016, 10:57 PM
:pctoss :bang :pctoss

Seriously though Parker and LMA had great games. Kawhi wasn't that bad but certainly struggled with his shot.

Capt Bringdown
01-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Simmons gets an A+ for that block alone, come on...

UNT Eagles 2016
01-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Tim Duncan played some of the best defense of the season in that 2nd quarter. That's precisely why the Pistons got shut down and we went up big into the half. Deserves a lot of props for that, he single-handedly disrupted about 4 plays in a row.

:tu Props for doing grades, UNT. People are gonna hate on you for it no matter what you do. Just take the idiots with the constructive criticism.

Thanks for the write up :tu

UNT Eagles 2016
01-12-2016, 11:08 PM

Your face is an F. :)

DarrinS
01-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Do you think TP should jack up 19 attempts per game? I'm not even hating -- TP was great tonight.

dabom
01-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Your face is an F. :)

:tu

cutewizard
01-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Parker, for once in his life, made a difference, lol

Asst Coach Ime Udoka was active tonight, hmmmmm

lefty20
01-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Do you think TP should jack up 19 attempts per game? I'm not even hating -- TP was great tonight.

If he's on fire, why not?

SAGirl
01-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Good grades
Some guys played too little for a proper review. The only problem with Simmons was two very silly and unnecessary fouls and a carry. All in a very short couple of minutes. Stuff he will need to clean up or you won't be able to play him in critical minutes bc if the mistakes. Still a rookie so mistakes are to be expected, but the fouling in particular is probably why he sat in the second half.

The rest of the guys, the ones who played poorly you know who they are, as well as the ones who had a good game. All in all a win.

01-12-2016, 11:53 PM
This isn't to hate on Kawhi at all, just an observation, but seeing him in person his lack of playmaking skills are painfully evident. His handles are below average compared to guys like PG, Bron, KD, but I'd say about average for small forwards which isn't good enough. Watching his attack the rim, there's no explosiveness or elusiveness at all. Even seeing raw players like Simmons make sharp cut to the basket, it looks a lot cleaner. Not sure what Kawhi can do about that, but I'm sure better handles would help. His passing is, I would say above average, but nothing special. Ifm excited to see how his development progresses the next couple years, I know he's a hard worker, he'll figure it out.

01-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Simmons gets an A+ for that block alone, come on...
It was insane live, wish I would have been recording.

RD2191
01-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Kawhi can't do it on a nightly basis? Yeah because the Spurs big 3 have never had a bad game. Fuck outta here with your weak ass takes.

RD2191
01-13-2016, 12:00 AM
2nd in MVP race, obviously Kawhi is inconsistent trash. Crofl.

dabom
01-13-2016, 12:07 AM
2nd in MVP race, obviously Kawhi is inconsistent trash. Crofl.

I saw him live vs the warriors when Kawhi went off. Stuff of magic. :wow

RD2191
01-13-2016, 12:08 AM
Best Spur since Duncan imo.

Cry Havoc
01-13-2016, 12:09 AM
https://streamable.com/wnb1

The Simmons block.

SpursBig3s
01-13-2016, 12:17 AM

Uh ya, Kawhi sucked toNight. Just because we all love him and know he's unquestionably the best player doesn't mean he can't have a bad game. 7pts and 5 boards is bad, because he's set the standard so high for how good he. Stop being a "faggot" and for once participate in an actual ball conversation.

Oh ya, almost forgot... :lmao

sexinthatsx
01-13-2016, 12:23 AM

The Simmons block.

oh man that block is so clean

sexinthatsx
01-13-2016, 12:24 AM
and thanks for the write up UNT. Everything was on point, from Tony's explosive game to baiting Kawhi homers in the thread lol

SpursIndonesia
01-13-2016, 12:35 AM
This is actually better than what i have expected before clicking the thread link, good job OP, agreed with the grades. :tu

SnakeBoy
01-13-2016, 01:13 AM
Nice write up & good grades. A little harsh on DG imo...I'd give him a C-.

Sec24Row7
01-13-2016, 01:31 AM
You should have used your fingers to try pleasure yourself instead of using them to type this piece of shit, then only one person would have been dissapointed.

100%duncan
01-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Im surprised you didnt give them all an X

Em-City
01-13-2016, 01:59 AM
Actually not that bad given the tripe being posted lately

Nathan89
01-13-2016, 02:05 AM
What made you do game grades for this game and not other games? Just felt like it or what.

Brazil
01-13-2016, 08:13 AM

You don't want TP to take 19 FGAs on a regular tbh... now if he has the good match ups, he is being efficient and the team need a bit of punch offensively I'm happy he is healthy enough to pull it off once in a while.

So far he is at 10 FGAs average that's for me a quite healthy amount

Brazil
01-13-2016, 08:18 AM
What made you do game grades for this game and not other games? Just felt like it or what.

let me semen shield here

IIRC he made other game grades, this game on the road had the look of a loss and hell why not ? that's a win on the road against a performant team as of late with a vintage Parker perf and was interesting to see Tim and LMA against Drumond and former Spurs Baynes

DarrinS
01-13-2016, 08:39 AM
You don't want TP to take 19 FGAs on a regular tbh... now if he has the good match ups, he is being efficient and the team need a bit of punch offensively I'm happy he is healthy enough to pull it off once in a while.

So far he is at 10 FGAs average that's for me a quite healthy amount

Agreed

TheDoctor
01-13-2016, 09:01 AM
The Simmons block.

1: "WHO ARE YOU?!?"
2: "I'M GTFOH"

https://i.imgflip.com/x9uqk.gif

JeffDuncan
01-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Actually not a bad write-up, considering how bat shit crazy you are.

tholdren
01-13-2016, 01:01 PM

The Simmons block.

good post - now change your pic

Danny Green D Outside of his two three-pointers, he was a bone in the Spurs' side once again. Frequently allowed his man to own him on defense, and stunk up the offense for the most part. Botched a three pointer short with literally nobody within 20 feet of him in the 3rd quarter which would have been important for our momentum. Turned the ball over at critical junctures which fueled many of the Pistons' transition opportunities. Absolutely scorched by Caldwell-Pope, and there wasn't a damn thing Green could do about it. Almost as pathetic as that guy he starts with on the perimeter, but not quite given his lower expectations.

K...
01-13-2016, 01:44 PM

The bones in your side are called ribs and they protect your lungs. So yeah, Danny is good rib I guess.

The metaphorical thorn in the side is his inability to shoot well which is so over discussed. Basically no one knows why he's off and it isn't helpful to just repeat those things..

Horse
01-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Nice to see Aldridge now looks like himself automatic from his spot. Thought it was funny how aggressive Timmy was when the big banger guarded him and my guard something set Tony off and he destroyed the frogface faggot.

AFMadison
01-13-2016, 02:00 PM
It's ok guys

Cry Havoc
01-13-2016, 09:42 PM

Nope, I'm not your monkey.