PDA

View Full Version : All-time #NBArank: Counting down the 10 best shooting guards ever

Old School 44
01-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Link to article Top 10 Shooting Guards. (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankSGs/ranking-top-10-shooting-guards-ever)

The Iceman number 7.
:bobo

SouthernFried
01-13-2016, 12:22 PM
I was lucky to have season tickets in the Convention Center when Gervin was in his prime. Loved the Convention center, and watching George night in and night out was something special. I was also lucky enough to get to play with him and his son, G, in pickup leagues when he retired and was playing for fun. Gervin never met a stranger. Always smiling and always had a good word for everyone he met. Him and Terry Cummings were the friendliest people you would ever want to meet. We've had some class acts over the years. And we still do.

Old School 44
01-13-2016, 12:30 PM
I was lucky to have season tickets in the Convention Center when Gervin was in his prime. Loved the Convention center, and watching George night in and night out was something special. I was also lucky enough to get to play with him and his son, G, in pickup leagues when he retired and was playing for fun. Gervin never met a stranger. Always smiling and always had a good word for everyone he met. Him and Terry Cummings were the friendliest people you would ever want to meet. We've had some class acts over the years. And we still do.

I'm sure you meant "HemisFair Arena", but it's all good. Awesome, you got to play pickup games with him and his son. Was he still finger rolling?

BillMc
01-13-2016, 12:31 PM
:toast

jhfenton
01-13-2016, 12:37 PM
#7 Gervin
#6 Iverson

:pctoss:flipoff:nope

BillMc
01-13-2016, 12:40 PM
#7 Gervin
#6 Iverson

:pctoss:flipoff:nope

Iceman shot over 50% for his career. Iverson was never that efficient.

DAF86
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Give me Manu over any of those guys with the exception of maybe Gervin and Drexler ("maybe" because I haven't really seen these two play. I just go with stats).

Ghjkll
01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Well, Manu is not inside that list because of injuries and "regular" numbers. If drafted today, Manu would have come earlier to the NBA and develop faster than he did. We really never saw Ginobili at his best in terms of athletic ability in the NBA. By the time he came, although still young, was 25 going to 26. Outside of the top 6, in a good night he can measure very well against any other player in the Top 10. By contrast, both him and Tony had a better career by far than most of those guys in terms of winning (of course, Tim and Pop had something to say in this). We were fortunate to have Gino and Tony, who both sacrificed money and spotlight to build a model franchise. WeŽll miss the old Big 3. Enjoy them while we can!

Kawhitstorm
01-13-2016, 02:15 PM

Iceman is actually the only guard to average 30+ while shooting 50% for a season other than Jordan & he did it twice.

Curry could do it this season but his number have been falling as the season progresses. The other person the did it while shooting a lot of jumpers but wasn't a shooting guard was Kevin Durant during his MVP season. Wade was very close in 2008-09 but he shot 49.1%.

Ginobilly
01-13-2016, 02:37 PM
my list of top 12 of all time: I go by based championships and awards won: It's all that matters at the end!

1.Jordan
2.kobe
3.Ginobili
4.Wade
5.ray allen
6.clyde
7.Earl Monroe
8.Jerry West
9.Iverson
10. Reggie Miller
11. Gervin
12. Vince Carter

Vito Corleone
01-13-2016, 02:48 PM
MY list of top Shooting Guards

1. Jordan
2. Drexler
3. Kobe
4. Wade
5. Jerry West
6. Mitch Richmond
7. Gervin
8. Reggie Miller
9. Ray Allen
10 Vince Carter

Alan Iverson was a PG, he was a shooting PG but still a point. Manu, is a great role player but he is not among the greatest ever.

Raven
01-13-2016, 03:01 PM
Manu is #2, no question about it.

GSH
01-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Manu, is a great role player but he is not among the greatest ever.

We'll never know about Manu, because he spent his career coming off the bench. But on any given night, he could be just about as good as anyone I've seen.

One argument in his favor - at the end of games, he was on the floor against the best that other teams had to offer. And he kicked a lot of ass, on both ends of the floor. (People forget what a tough, tricky defender he was in his prime. Still pretty crafty.)

Would I put him on the list of Top 10 all time? Probably not, because of the role he played. Could he have earned his way onto it? Maybe. But I know this. If the criteria includes being a winner, then his rating goes way up.

steeledl
01-13-2016, 03:05 PM
lol at homers thinking manu is top 10......

MB20
01-13-2016, 03:09 PM
4. Wade
3. West
2. Kobe
1. Jordan

SouthernFried
01-13-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm sure you meant "HemisFair Arena", but it's all good. Awesome, you got to play pickup games with him and his son. Was he still finger rolling?

Actually, I don't remember him finger rolling much at all. He wasn't driving to the basket so much in those leagues, just shooting from the outside...which was more than enough. lol. I do remember bodying up to him a couple of times and thinking...this doesn't feel like muscle at all. His body felt like hardened wood. lol. He was thin, but incredibly strong. It was a privilege and one of the few things in my life I can brag about. :lol

Mouth is Bleeding
01-13-2016, 04:59 PM
You can tell that they don't really think Iverson belongs:

He stands as the paragon of an era where creating difficult shots was preferable to scoring easy ones. -- Pelton

While the isolation plays he loved are going out of favor, his combination of athleticism and relentlessness helped carry many offensively challenged Sixers squads into the postseason. -- Peterson

The signature Reeboks, the cornrows, the long shorts, the swagger. The Answer is on the short list of the most influential players in league history. -- Adams

weak reasoning and simply an inefficient player who is one of the most overrated of all time.

Reggie also extremely overrated based on high profile moments against the Knicks. He never had the high level seasons that Manu did year after year.

Manu definitely better than those two and has case over Allen as well.

cutewizard
01-13-2016, 05:03 PM
They missed

Manu

then Oscar Schmidt

idiot writers abound

baseline bum
01-13-2016, 05:17 PM
West is way too high

BillMc
01-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Iceman is actually the only guard to average 30+ while shooting 50% for a season other than Jordan & he did it twice.

Curry could do it this season but his number have been falling as the season progresses. The other person the did it while shooting a lot of jumpers but wasn't a shooting guard was Kevin Durant during his MVP season. Wade was very close in 2008-09 but he shot 49.1%.

Very informative. Thanks! :toast

Obstructed_View
01-13-2016, 06:03 PM
You can tell that they don't really think Iverson belongs:

weak reasoning and simply an inefficient player who is one of the most overrated of all time.

Reggie also extremely overrated based on high profile moments against the Knicks. He never had the high level seasons that Manu did year after year.

Manu definitely better than those two and has case over Allen as well.

Number 2 on most people's list has a beef with that comment.

Diego20
01-13-2016, 08:03 PM
lol at homers thinking manu is top 10......

You probably put TP at top 10 PG all time :lol

tonight...you
01-13-2016, 08:32 PM
We'll never know about Manu, because he spent his career coming off the bench. But on any given night, he could be just about as good as anyone I've seen.

One argument in his favor - at the end of games, he was on the floor against the best that other teams had to offer. And he kicked a lot of ass, on both ends of the floor. (People forget what a tough, tricky defender he was in his prime. Still pretty crafty.)

Would I put him on the list of Top 10 all time? Probably not, because of the role he played. Could he have earned his way onto it? Maybe. But I know this. If the criteria includes being a winner, then his rating goes way up.

Kicked ass and took many names on his way also. He's destroyed entire teams' psyches going into games. Ask George Karl.
As usual- you are a spot on poster.

ElNono
01-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Manu will always be underrated in lists like this, and it makes sense to an extent. He's always been too unselfish to demand a bigger role, having the spotlight, etc.

But, he will always be the best SG in the most successful era of this franchise, which happens to be one of the most successful stretches by any franchise in NBA history.

Old School 44
01-13-2016, 09:05 PM
Manu will always be underrated in lists like this, and it makes sense to an extent. He's always been too unselfish to demand a bigger role, having the spotlight, etc.

But, he will always be the best SG in the most successful era of this franchise, which happens to be one of the most successful stretches by any franchise in NBA history.
Agree, same for Tony. Tim is the GOAT power forward and the Spurs have the best system in the league, but I don't like the narrative of some that TD and the system made Manu and Tony. Hopefully, after all is said and done, they will get the recognition they deserve.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Gervin gets 4 scoring titles after Silas goes down and he moves to guard. This is after Kareem had been dominating MVP talk in the diluted league during the ABA era. When Silas came back they made the conference finals twice. Way underrated mostly due to recency bias.

Kawhitstorm
01-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Gervin gets 4 scoring titles after Silas goes down and he moves to guard. This is after Kareem had been dominating MVP talk in the diluted league during the ABA era. When Silas came back they made the conference finals twice. Way underrated mostly due to recency bias.

Silas/Gervin were the Klay/Curry of their era.

SouthernFried
01-13-2016, 09:23 PM
Well...Manu is in my top 10. I have never had more fun watching a basketball player, than Manu Ginobili. In his prime, I would have taken him over almost anyone...just for the pure fun factor alone. ;) Over, Ray allen, Iverson, Clyde, Reggie...I would even take him over George. Love George, but he really did suck on D...lol.

I never could understand people saying the Spurs were boring...when Manu was on the court.

steeledl
01-13-2016, 09:54 PM
I feel like we should have a bottom 10 posters vote .

ElNono
01-13-2016, 10:02 PM
I feel like we should have a bottom 10 posters vote .

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237995

kaji157
01-13-2016, 11:07 PM
I donŽt get why Wade gets so much recognition, had 4 seasons, that was it, then he was middle of the pack or volume shooter.

Ginobili almost always destroyed him when both were on their primes, yet Ginobili doesnŽt even figure in this list.

Another thing i dont see right is one dimensional players in the top 10, Ray Allen is a great shooter, but that was it, and started playing defense at age 30.

For real, if these lists were made by people not familiar with the nba, looking only at tapes, there is no fucking way ray allen cracks this list.

jhfenton
01-14-2016, 07:22 AM

I know, right?! Ranking Iverson over the Iceman is a travesty.