PDA

View Full Version : HoopsHabit.com: Would RC Buford Be The Right Fit For The Brooklyn Nets?

Supreme_Being
01-14-2016, 05:22 AM
It’s widely assumed that San Antonio Spurs general manager RC Buford wouldn’t leave the team, but what if he did?

Unless you’re a basketball fan who’s been living under a rock, you’ve heard about the major shakeup in the Brooklyn Nets organization. Mercurial owner Mikhail Prokhorov did a twofer and fired not just head coach Lionel Hollis, but also “reassigned” General Manager Billy King (translation: not fired outright–yet–but might as well have been). To add insult to injury, King has been allegedly tasked by Prokhorov to help pick his replacement. Ouch.

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/01/13/would-san-antonio-spurs-rc-buford-be-the-right-fit-for-the-brooklyn-nets/

r0drig0lac
01-14-2016, 06:16 AM
lmao spurstalk will collapse if it happens

BillMc
01-14-2016, 06:21 AM
It is possible that Prokhorov could throw so much money (and a piece of the team) at R.C. that he simply couldn't refuse, and Holt, a relatively poor owner, couldn't match. But barring that with the Nets so stripped of draft picks, I would be amazed if R.C. even considered it.

BillMc
01-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Nets should go after Danny Ferry. He knows what he's doing, he's paid the price for his sins and now needs a job. Win/win for both sides.

Splits
01-14-2016, 06:30 AM
:lmao what a fucking stupid waste of internet

Smart money is that Buford would be crazy to leave such a sweet setup in the Alamo City.

No shit.

Vito Corleone
01-14-2016, 06:56 AM
The real key to the Lakers run of success was Jerry West, when he left they were never the same again. Mitch Kupchek isn't bad but outside of the deal that brought Gasol to LA, he hasn't done much.

The key to the Spurs success is about 60% on RC.

He found Manu, Tony, Kawhi, George Hill, Cory Joseph, and Scola. Let's not forget all the draft talent he found for other teams, I cannot count how many guys he had on his radar that were drafted by other teams just because he liked them.

Outside of 99, I'm not sure the Spurs get single title without RC finding the talent he has.

Chinook
01-14-2016, 07:22 AM
Nets should go after Danny Ferry. He knows what he's doing, he's paid the price for his sins and now needs a job. Win/win for both sides.

Ferry definitely seems like he was better for the team than Hawks fans realized. Bud has been straight terrible as a GM.

That said, I don't see why any amount of money would sway RC. It's like, you can get millions of dollars in a secure position until you retire, or you can get (more) millions in an unstable job across the county. It just doesn't make sense. That doesn't even mention, that unlike players and presumably coaches, FO guys consider their entire salary to be in their home state for taxes, so Buford can take whatever millions the Nets give him and take away the state income taxes (and if there are any city ones), which makes any deal that much worse.

Ice009
01-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Why would you want to go to the Nets when they don't have any draft picks for a few years. That's not enticing for anyone.

Seventyniner
01-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Prokhorov was willing to pay around $180M in salaries + luxury tax one year. That money would have been better spent giving RC $50M per year. That would be such a drastic increase over his current salary (I'm going to guess it's around $2-3M) that it could work. It would be a far better use of that money too.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-14-2016, 09:05 AM
The figure thrown around for Calipari was something like 10 years/$120 million. I'm pretty sure much less than this would be enticing for RC if he's offered it.

Old School 44
01-14-2016, 09:06 AM
The relationship between Pop and RC is like a marriage.
:married:
Would you divorce over money?
Don't answer that...
:D

elbamba
01-14-2016, 09:06 AM

I think you have it right. But the Nets are not known for making logical decisions.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-14-2016, 09:12 AM
:ban::ban::ban::idiot:ban::ban::ban:

Obstructed_View
01-14-2016, 09:39 AM
RC's value will be higher after the season.