PDA

View Full Version : RIP Alan Rickman

Boogie Munster
01-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Bad time to be 69 and British.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35313604

Alan Rickman, Harry Potter and Die Hard actor, dies aged 69Film critic Jason Solomons: "He had a gift for being sneeringly withering"Actor Alan Rickman, known for films including Harry Potter, Die Hard, Truly Madly Deeply and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, has died at the age of 69.
The star was suffering from cancer, his family said.
He became one of Britain's best-loved acting stars thanks to roles including Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films and Hans Gruber in Die Hard.
He also won a Bafta Award for playing the Sheriff of Nottingham in 1991's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.
A family statement said: "The actor and director Alan Rickman has died from cancer at the age of 69. He was surrounded by family and friends."
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhEAAJAIAAAP///wAAACH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAAQAAkAAAIKhI+py+0Po5yUFQA7War merRickman played the mysterious Professor Snape in all eight Harry Potter filmsHarry Potter actor James Phelps, who played Fred Weasley, said on Twitter he was "shocked and sad" to hear the news. He wrote (https://twitter.com/James_Phelps/status/687618581102751744): "One of the nicest actors I've ever met. Thoughts and prayers with his family at this time."
His twin brother Oliver Phelps, who played George Weasley, added (https://twitter.com/OliverPhelps/status/687625703865610240): "Terribly sad news about the passing of Alan Rickman. A funny and engaging person who put a shy young actor at ease when I was on HP."
TV star and Bafta ceremony host Stephen Fry wrote (https://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/687619639971561472): "What desperately sad news about Alan Rickman. A man of such talent, wicked charm and stunning screen and stage presence. He'll be sorely missed."
Actor David Morrissey also paid tribute. He said (https://twitter.com/davemorrissey64/status/687625459576745985): "So sad to hear the news of Alan Rickman. A wonderful actor and lovely man. Tragic news."
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhEAAJAIAAAP///wAAACH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAAQAAkAAAIKhI+py+0Po5yUFQA7He made his TV debut in 1978's Romeo and Juliethttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhEAAJAIAAAP///wAAACH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAAQAAkAAAIKhI+py+0Po5yUFQA7Ian Jones/Daily Telegraph/PARickman and Juliet Stevenson met the Queen in 2000The London-born star began his career in theatre, including the Royal Shakespeare Company, before winning roles in TV dramas like Smiley's People and The Barchester Chronicles in the 1980s.
He became best known for playing screen villains - including the role of Judge Turpin opposite Johnny Depp in 2007's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street as well as the likes of Hans Gruber and the Sheriff.
But he showed his gentler side in films like 1990's Truly Madly Deeply, 1995's Sense and Sensibility and Love Actually in 2003.
He earned Bafta nominations for his roles in Truly Madly Deeply, in which he played Juliet Stevenson's ghost lover, and for playing Colonel Brandon alongside Kate Winslet in Sense and Sensibility.
He got another Bafta nomination for portraying the calculating Eamon de Valera in 1996's Michael Collins.
The following year, he won a Golden Globe for best actor in a miniseries or television film for the title role in Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny.
What are your memories of Alan Rickman? Have you met him? You can share your experiences and tributes by emailing [email protected] ([email protected]?subject=AlanRickman35313604 ).
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

WhatsApp: +44 7525 900971 (tel:+44 7525 900971)
Send pictures/video to [email protected]
Upload your pictures / video here (http://upload.news.bbc.cs.streamuk.com/)
Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay (http://twitter.com/BBC_HaveYourSay)
Send an SMS or MMS to +44 7624 800 100 (tel:+44 7624 800 100)

Name Your E-mail address (required) Town & Country Your telephone number Comments(required)

lil'mo
01-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Hans gruber nooooooooo

Thread
01-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Damn. He transcended "Die Hard" & tried to do the same with "Quigley," but, the cast prevented it there.

mrsmaalox
01-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Boohoo I love him :cry Sheriff of Nottingham, Severus Snape, Judge Turpin all wonderful characters I grew my kids up with. Hans Gruber is probably his best character. RIP

mrsmaalox
01-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Oh I forgot....GALAXY QUEST!!! :D

ColinB
01-14-2016, 10:39 AM
RIP Hans Gruber.

JoeTait75
01-14-2016, 10:47 AM
RIP Bill Clay.

Canyonero
01-14-2016, 11:20 AM
RIP

benefactor
01-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Goddammit...Jareth and now Hans? This week is fucking up all of my childhood memories.

Trainwreck2100
01-14-2016, 11:29 AM
he's on a beach, earning 20 percent in the sky :cry

benefactor
01-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Damn. He transcended "Die Hard" & tried to do the same with "Quigley," but, the cast prevented it there.
Almost forgot about Quigley Down Under. He was the perfect villain to complement Tom Selleck, who I've always thought was underrated in cowboy roles.

SpursforSix
01-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Boohoo I love him :cry Sheriff of Nottingham, Severus Snape, Judge Turpin all wonderful characters I grew my kids up with. Hans Gruber is probably his best character. RIP

Yep. He was the only reason that I watched that version of Robin Hood.

timtonymanu
01-14-2016, 11:51 AM

:tu Was just about to mention this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhmwHR1zyG0

timtonymanu
01-14-2016, 11:59 AM
The Harry Potter movies weren't perfect but he was phenomenal as Snape.

hater
01-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Too soon. Too soon

spurraider21
01-14-2016, 01:25 PM
the historical documents

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I've always liked watching actors who are clearly having a good time doing their jobs. It's probably the biggest reason I don't mind the bug eyed screaming version of Al Pacino that replaced the original Al Invasion of the Bodysnatchers style 20 years ago, even when his performances seem out of place with every other cast mate. Rickman was the rare sort where that love for his craft could show through while still giving a performance that elevated the whole film. At some point in the last year I sat down and watched Die Hard and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves in their entirety for the first time in a while.

Die Hard absolutely holds up. While I know for a fact much younger me fell in love with the film because I contained lots of violence and swear words I think it's safe I say that Hans will always be grown up me's favorite part of the movie. Robin Hood absolutely does not hold up yet Rickman's performance, hammy and ridiculous, is the only part that was still watchable. It was like he was the only guy who got the memo that this script was not worth taking as seriously as Costner and everyone else was trying to. So long to one tremendous talent.

Thread
01-14-2016, 01:59 PM
I've always liked watching actors who are clearly having a good time doing their jobs. It's probably the biggest reason I don't mind the bug eyed screaming version of Al Pacino that replaced the original Al Invasion of the Bodysnatchers style 20 years ago, even when his performances seem out of place with every other cast mate. Rickman was the rare sort where that love for his craft could show through while still giving a performance that elevated the whole film. At some point in the last year I sat down and watched Die Hard and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves in their entirety for the first time in a while.

Die Hard absolutely holds up. While I know for a fact much younger me fell in love with the film because I contained lots of violence and swear words I think it's safe I say that Hans will always be grown up me's favorite part of the movie. Robin Hood absolutely does not hold up yet Rickman's performance, hammy and ridiculous, is the only part that was still watchable. It was like he was the only guy who got the memo that this script was not worth taking as seriously as Costner and everyone else was trying to. So long to one tremendous talent.

Grand stuff, Exile. I have never watched that Robin Hood. It's anti-conservative and I boycotted it. I will view it now.

------

You're so on spot as to Rickman's (and Pacino's) love of his craft and how it elevates the product he's devoted to. He dances, for over 2 hours on the edge of a single sheet of bond in "Die Hard." He knew the content demanded it and he agreed with himself to accomplish it. He took with him every actor that stood with him there. He led. They followed. And the reward is ours. It will always be there.

SpursforSix
01-14-2016, 02:26 PM

dead on about the Robin Hood performance. It seems out of place and yet it's the best thing about the movie. Was thinking about rewatching but will probably pass now that I think about it. I think the storyline had some potential. I thought it was an interesting start with Costner and Freeman as captives.

Spurminator
01-14-2016, 02:50 PM
2 year battle with cancer... Coincidentally, that's almost as long as his death scene in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Thread
01-14-2016, 02:56 PM
2 year battle with cancer... Coincidentally, that's almost as long as his death scene in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

In "Die Hard" he cold bloodedly shoots two "good guys" in the head and it's "okay." The production shrewdly/wisely sets up both the murdered as less than perfect, even [deserved] of their fate. "Takagi" holds Hiroshima & Nagasaki against us 40 years later. Makes sense. His age is perfect for this mindset. He's in love with "Holly." Bochner is a drug user, a junkie, perhaps a pusher. He's in love with "Holly."

It's a jerk to watch Rickman reinvent himself. As William Clay at the drop of a hat we're drawn to it, to the warmth, the comfort, no more murderer. We want him to be Bill Clay, what's that guy like?,,,what does he do at Nakatome Plaza? His name is on one of those directories we've always wanted to play with as child, or, adult. Those plastic letters on the soft black felt with the perfect slots. Our subconscious takes over even as we see him angle to murder Willis.

{sorry about the edit. I pressed the button before it was done}

RandomGuy
01-14-2016, 03:02 PM

But Cousin... why a spoon? Why not a knife for a fork or something?

RandomGuy
01-14-2016, 03:03 PM
MhfuuKiTcYQ

RandomGuy
dead on about the Robin Hood performance. It seems out of place and yet it's the best thing about the movie. Was thinking about rewatching but will probably pass now that I think about it. I think the storyline had some potential. I thought it was an interesting start with Costner and Freeman as captives.

Dude was a brilliant actor.

SpursforSix
In "Die Hard" he cold bloodedly shoots two "good guys" in the head and it's "okay." The production shrewdly/wisely sets up both the murdered as less than perfect, even [deserved] of their fate. "Takagi" holds Hiroshima & Nagasaki against us 40 years later. Makes sense. His age is perfect for this mindset. He's in love with "Holly." Bochner is a drug user, a junkie, perhaps a pusher. He's in love with "Holly."

It's a jerk to watch Rickman reinvent himself. As William Clay at the drop of a hat we're drawn to it, to the warmth, the comfort, no more murderer. We want him to be Bill Clay, what's that guy like?,,,what does he do at Nakatome Plaza? His name is on one of those directories we've always wanted to play with as child, or, adult. Those plastic letters on the soft black felt with the perfect slots. Our subconscious takes over even as we see him angle to murder Willis.

{sorry about the edit. I pressed the button before it was done}

Don't forget the environment when the movie came out. People beginning to get worried about the Japanese buying up the country.

DMC
01-14-2016, 03:05 PM
One of my most hated characters/loved actors. Hate to see him go.

RandomGuy
01-14-2016, 03:06 PM
NSFW

fGJ0-N1GTzw

Thread
01-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Don't forget the environment when the movie came out. People beginning to get worried about the Japanese buying up the country.

Yep. But, the production didn't just settle for that and ram it. They just skim it---instead of harping on it. No need to harp, just mention it and our (audience) blood starts to boil. We'll take it from there, both eyes on the screen, our hearts speed up, the angst, the reality.

As Takagi squares off in the ante room with this man---he still does not get it, or, does he, and cannot nor [[[will not]]] surrender,,,just like his father in WWII. "No, we'll dig in here, in Japanese soil and take a million with us? Same result. Like his father before him he's vaporized in a mist of blood.

Film. American film.

SpursforSix
01-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Yep. But, the production didn't just settle for that and ram it. They just skim it---instead of harping on it. No need to harp, just mention it and our (audience) blood starts to boil. We'll take it from there, both eyes on the screen, our hearts speed up, the angst, the reality.

As Takagi squares off in the ante room with this man---he still does not get it, or, does he, and cannot nor [[[will not]]] surrender,,,just like his father in WWII. "No, we'll dig in here, in Japanese soil and take a million with us? Same result. Like his father before him he's vaporized in a mist of blood.

Film. American film.

hmmmm. I'll have to re-watch with that in mind. Interesting that they chose a German to take him out.

gameFACE
01-14-2016, 05:34 PM
He could be in anything and be totally cool. Such a recognizable voice. I hate that the last thing I saw him in was CBGB's. Even he couldn't save that movie so I'll have to rewatch something better.

Slomo
01-14-2016, 11:03 PM
Voice of God

redzero
01-15-2016, 06:36 AM
I wonder who had both him and Bowie in their dead pool.

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2016, 08:19 AM
not a fan of harry potter, but this guy was really good at villain roles....especially in die hard

lefty
01-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Damn .....RIP

Millennial_Messiah
01-10-2020, 09:41 PM
monosylab1k

monosylab1k
01-10-2020, 09:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJMnnKgNjg