PDA

View Full Version : Time to start Simmons.

TheGreatYacht
01-14-2016, 10:00 PM
No look passes out of bounds, getting shitted on by JR Brick, air balled mid range shots, countless number of open shooters because Green tried to help too much.

It's the regular season, and these usual slow starts aren't a coincedence.

Fireball
01-14-2016, 10:02 PM
TNT wants more Simmons :lol

Raven
01-14-2016, 10:02 PM
the belimpire strikes back

Arcadian
01-14-2016, 10:03 PM
It's probably his time.

Cry Havoc
01-14-2016, 10:10 PM
I'd like to see him start, just to see what he can do.

However, Danny Green is still worth his minutes just because of the defense he plays.

Spurtacular
01-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Pros and cons, tbh.

Cklbmk
01-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Yup. Let Danny play with Diaw and Manu.

It's time

Spurtacular
01-14-2016, 10:28 PM
My bro kept laughing that a black man was named Jonathan....just saying.

Spurtacular
01-14-2016, 10:29 PM
https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Asth86CKFBp-76ICV1CchkGir_0=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4153038/simmons_to_duncan.0.gif

NASpurs
01-14-2016, 10:30 PM
And Simmons was never heard from again after subbing in for DG early in the second half.

Mr. Body
01-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Fuck that shit.

Uriel
01-14-2016, 10:38 PM
I have to admit, that thought actually briefly crossed my mind in the 2nd quarter.

timtonymanu
01-14-2016, 10:38 PM
The Spurs are not messing with the lineup now. Not when they are 35-6. You just have to hope Green snaps out of it and lately he's been more hit than miss.

TheGreatYacht
01-14-2016, 10:44 PM
Obviously now I feel a lot better than when I made the thread, but nonetheless the idea isn't as crazy as it was before. Danny is doing everything he can to lose his starter spot.... Just hoping this thread gets bumped days, weeks, months from now thanks to a backfire :tu

DarrinS
01-14-2016, 10:46 PM
Hard to take OP seriously with that avitar, tbh.

silverblackfan
01-14-2016, 10:47 PM
The Spurs are not messing with the lineup now. Not when they are 35-6. You just have to hope Green snaps out of it and lately he's been more hit than miss.
Yeah. This. Let Simmons continue to strive to replace Danny. Let Danny continue to worry over his replacement. Nature has its system.

DeRozan m8
01-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Fuck Green

GSH
01-14-2016, 10:49 PM

It's time

Hell, maybe it would take some pressure off, and he could get his stroke back. Everybody wins.

Mikeanaro
01-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Time has come, DG look like he has half stool outside his ass everytime he runs and play.

TrainOfThought5
01-14-2016, 10:56 PM
meh.... its matchup dependant. bench could use Greens defense, and spoonfed Manu looks though.

Mr. Body
01-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Drugs are bad for you.

Mel_13
01-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Simmons and KA both made valuable contributions tonight. Want to see more of both of them against quality opponents outside of garbage time. Still not time to change the SL.

kaji157
01-14-2016, 11:07 PM

It's time

Poor Manu, he is too old to keep carrying corpses.

Kawhitstorm
01-14-2016, 11:09 PM
No, start Danny & take him out if he is wetting the bed. He has shaky confidence so the last thing you want to do is bench him & Simmons is a better energy guy suited for a bench role. Danny also plays best w/ Tony so he is only going to get worse if he plays w/ the bench mob.

It's either he gets traded or keep his starting spot.

Danny for G.Hill would be :wow :wow :wow(Make sense for the Pacers b/c Monta/Stuckey/Hill are redundant but won't happen b/c Danny has the WORST PER on the team & Hill has become a better shooter than Danny:depressed)

ceperez
01-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Simmons and KA both made valuable contributions tonight. Want to see more of both of them against quality opponents outside of garbage time. Still not time to change the SL.

Looks like Anderson can be effective against the Cavs. Cavs have a lot of small players like Dellevedova, Irving, Shumpert, Smith than he can easily post up against.

100%duncan
01-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Meh imho simmons can contribute more playing against the benches of other teams. But I wont mind if he gets more mins than danny if dg continues to suck

dabom
01-14-2016, 11:50 PM
OP is a low IQ poster. Simmons starting? :lmao

Not even in the actual rotation besides spot minutes. :lmao

I like simmons a lot too.

rastaspur
Hard to take OP seriously with that avitar, tbh.

UNT Eagles 2016
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/196nhxfozg479gif/ku-xlarge.gif

TheGreatYacht
01-14-2016, 11:53 PM
:cry Start Paddy :cry

DPG21920
01-14-2016, 11:58 PM
People here have short fuses

dbestpro
01-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Simmons is the real deal. Anderson ain't far behind. Boban at times is damn near impossible to stop. The future looks bright.

raybies
01-15-2016, 12:05 AM
Are we enabling Danny to have poor games? I mean is there any hope he comes out of this back to his old ways? Pop played him with a shorter leash before this season and it worked fine right? I dunno I hope pop continues to shorten his leash. I don't think him losing his starting spot is by any means the solution but pulling him in favor of juice to get more minutes might be more appealing for pop. I mean he didn't really have this option for the first few months but now with juice continuing to be a net positive he can now shorten it without having to play manu more.

littlecoyotecoin
01-15-2016, 12:06 AM

You have to go and ruin things with the voice of reason. So, you're saying losing six games isn't enough reason to mix up the starting lineup? We've already threatened our chances of best record in the NBA, EVAR!

How far must we fall before we just put the rookie in the starting lineup?

Must we lose a 7th game?!

raybies
01-15-2016, 12:11 AM
Quality post lol ^

TheDoctor
01-15-2016, 12:22 AM
Simmons and KA both made valuable contributions tonight...

Both made HUGE shots. SimmGOD with a ferocious drive, butchered Kyrie's hands with the how-you're-suppose-to-foul looking for the block and Kyle's jumper over Kyrie was CLUTCH.

silverblackfan
01-15-2016, 12:26 AM
You have to go and ruin things with the voice of reason. So, you're saying losing six games isn't enough reason to mix up the starting lineup? We've already threatened our chances of best record in the NBA, EVAR!

How far must we fall before we just put the rookie in the starting lineup?

Must we lose a 7th game?!

still lol

SAGirl
01-15-2016, 12:33 AM
I agree with you on this.
Pop has done the right thing in being selective and putting them in matches where they could potentially help.
Both guys coming along and developing.
I was encouraged that KA was not his former passive/hesitant self.
These guys need at least a few minutes in games like this to get seasoning, get that nervousness out and improve.

You never know when we want to rest some guys and let these two carry a bit of a burden for a game. (Hopefully its rest, and we are not talking about any injuries to anyone here).

They may need to help at some point in some playoff game. Pop is known for subbing some guy at some point you don't expect to turn things around bc someone just left his game at home.

SAGirl
01-15-2016, 12:44 AM
By the way I don't think Danny is benched for missing shots. He has to maintain a level of defense that is consistent though.

TheDoctor
01-15-2016, 12:48 AM
By the way I don't think Danny is benched for missing shots. He has to maintain a level of defense that is consistent though.

Plus we are 35-6. That's a ridiculous record only shrinked by Golden Showers.

Chris
01-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Hypothetically you could give Danny Green a "rest game" and start Simmons, even though there's no way in hell Pop does that for a player in their first season. In that scenario, it would be Manu starting obviously. Even if that were the case, Manu's minutes would be limited, and Simmons would see the majority of the game.

exstatic
01-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Hypothetically you could give Danny Green a "rest game" and start Simmons, even though there's no way in hell Pop does that for a player in their first season. In that scenario, it would be Manu starting obviously. Even if that were the case, Manu's minutes would be limited, and Simmons would see the majority of the game.

??? Kyle started games last year.

exstatic
01-16-2016, 05:51 PM
My bro kept laughing that a black man was named Jonathan....just saying.

It's actually Jonathon. Alternative spellings are very AA.

Kool Bob Love
01-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Obviously now I feel a lot better than when I made the thread, but nonetheless the idea isn't as crazy as it was before. Danny is doing everything he can to lose his starter spot.... Just hoping this thread gets bumped days, weeks, months from now thanks to a backfire :tu

great thread b. :tu

daslicer
01-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Simmons is a good spark plug off the bench but you don't start him. He's a rookie who is inexperience plus you don't want to put pressure on him to produce. He's in a role right now in which he can grow and get better over time. There is no need to mess that up right now.

Chris
01-16-2016, 06:35 PM
??? Kyle started games last year.

You're right, Pop has changed his philosophy a bit the last few seasons, but for the most part it seems he rewards players with longer tenure. Matt Bonner started a game this season I believe.

Dingle Barry
01-16-2016, 07:30 PM

Kinda surprised it's not something like J'Awnathyn tbh.

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2016, 07:31 PM
great thread b. :tu
Appreciate it fam, great threads are our repertoire

sasaint
01-16-2016, 07:37 PM
You're right, Pop has changed his philosophy a bit the last few seasons, but for the most part it seems he rewards players with longer tenure. Matt Bonner started a game this season I believe.

Pop will not start Manu for Danny in a "rest game." The only real reason to give Danny a "rest game" would be for the purpose of seeing how Simmons did with the first unit.

Obstructed_View
01-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Pop has done it just to snap guys out of slumps in the past. I don't see how it can possibly hurt. Danny's our starting two.`He's not a china doll who needs to have his confidence nursed along. He needs a kick in the pants. If he can't handle the same tough love that Tiago Splitter, Ian Mahinmi and Kyle Anderson have gotten, then he's not going to be much use in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
01-16-2016, 07:43 PM

Pop does it all the time. He'll start the third-string guy so the backup doesn't lose any rhythm. When Parker rested, McCallum started a game.

Obstructed_View
01-16-2016, 07:45 PM

I don't think it's a punishment, but more to shake him out of whatever's bugging him. Honestly, the fact that Pop hasn't done it this far into the season worries me a bit.

pgardn
01-16-2016, 08:07 PM
I like Simmons with the 2nd unit. He is a better ball handler than Danny so more help for Patty and Manu.

Spurtacular
01-16-2016, 08:16 PM

:lmao

Good call; except, it's not so much alternative spelling as much as simply being misspelled.

sasaint
01-16-2016, 08:33 PM
I like Simmons with the 2nd unit. He is a better ball handler than Danny so more help for Patty and Manu.

In fact, if that is the basis of your not wanting to play Simmons with the first unit, I think your reasoning is faulty. I would argue that Manu and Patty are more than adequate, requiring less ball handling help than a solo Tony (with increasing assistance from Kawhi).

I believe that moving Danny to the second unit would seriously dilute the 3-point shooting of the first unit - until Simmons provides sufficient evidence that he can be a 3-point threat.

TheGreatYacht
01-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Holy shit, Simmons looks like he might even be a better shooter than Danny at this point :wow

Spurtacular
01-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Simmons ability to drive against a weak defender like Deron Williams is something D Green can't offer.

tholdren
01-17-2016, 08:43 PM
and simmons is tough, athletic, and not scared. all three things that clubbin green can't provide.

pgardn
01-17-2016, 08:49 PM
In fact, if that is the basis of your not wanting to play Simmons with the first unit, I think your reasoning is faulty. I would argue that Manu and Patty are more than adequate, requiring less ball handling help than a solo Tony (with increasing assistance from Kawhi).

I believe that moving Danny to the second unit would seriously dilute the 3-point shooting of the first unit - until Simmons provides sufficient evidence that he can be a 3-point threat.

I disagree.

Tony is not Solo as you stated. I think Simmons is a better player now so I want him with the 2nd unit.

tholdren
01-17-2016, 08:58 PM
meh - its fun to stir the pot, but SA has awesome record. I wouldn't tweak it. I just like to watch chump-pumper have a tantrum when someone disses green.

Chris
01-17-2016, 09:26 PM
#StartSimmons

ceperez
01-18-2016, 08:49 AM
and simmons is tough, athletic, and not scared. all three things that clubbin green can't provide.

Green is terrible with the motion offense of the 2nd unit. He tries too much and gets into trouble.

Simmons will play better in a team with motion offense. Simmons can score in the paint if the defense is off balance, that happens a lot with the second unit.

So, despite Simmons playing consistently better than Green, Green makes better sense with the starters.

LakerHater
01-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Starting Simmons jus might help the Spurs with their slow startin 1st periods!!

ceperez
01-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Starting Simmons jus might help the Spurs with their slow startin 1st periods!!

I attribute the slow starts to a lack of preparation agains the opponent. Spurs are treating the regular season as practice and don't really make an effort scouting the opponent.

I think Pop wants the team to learn to adjust with the opponent.

This also explains why Spurs blow out the team by the 3rd quarter.

boutons_deux
01-18-2016, 12:37 PM
"lack of preparation"

West said recenlty Spurs don't do much film study and specific preparation. I think that changes in the playoffs

btw, John Wooden apparently never even mentioned the other teams' names, never mind make specific preparation. worked out ok

ceperez
01-18-2016, 12:49 PM
"lack of preparation"

West said recenlty Spurs don't do much film study and specific preparation. I think that changes in the playoffs

btw, John Wooden apparently never even mentioned the other teams' names, never mind make specific preparation. worked out ok

It is crazy that the Spurs are so dominating even without the preparation.

I really like the idea that (1) Spurs focus on how to execute better regardless of the competition and (2) adjust to the opponent in real time.

I do agree thought that will change come playoff time.

Right now, it's all experimentation and focusing on execution.

sasaint
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM
It is crazy that the Spurs are so dominating even without the preparation.

I really like the idea that (1) Spurs focus on how to execute better regardless of the competition and (2) adjust to the opponent in real time.

I do agree thought that will change come playoff time.

Right now, it's all experimentation and focusing on execution.

I am not familiar with their processes as far as game preparation is concerned. So for me, this just begs the question whether that has always been Pop's MO. I would guess so. Because we seem this season to be such obvious "counter-punchers" as GSH has dubbed us, it seems like the Spurs have perhaps altered their process. The "counter punch" character of the team did not strike me nearly so much in years past.

ceperez
01-18-2016, 01:22 PM
I am not familiar with their processes as far as game preparation is concerned. So for me, this just begs the question whether that has always been Pop's MO. I would guess so. Because we seem this season to be such obvious "counter-punchers" as GSH has dubbed us, it seems like the Spurs have perhaps altered their process. The "counter punch" character of the team did not strike me nearly so much in years past.

I think it is a new thing. Spurs didn't have the luxury in previous years.

However, the Spurs typically try to start peaking at the time of the Rodeo trip. So crazy as it sounds, I do expect the Spurs to play better towards the end of the regular season.

sasaint
01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
I think it is a new thing. Spurs didn't have the luxury in previous years.

However, the Spurs typically try to start peaking at the time of the Rodeo trip. So crazy as it sounds, I do expect the Spurs to play better towards the end of the regular season.

Interesting that you call it a luxury.

Not crazy. We all hope so. They will need to as their schedule is considerably more demanding from now on in.

I expect that Pop will do more experimenting with the lineup during the RRT this year. I am hoping he comes to the realization that splitting LMA and Duncan is the way to go most of the time.

ceperez
01-18-2016, 01:33 PM

Not crazy. We all hope so. They will need to as their schedule is considerably more demanding from now on in.

I expect that Pop will do more experimenting with the lineup during the RRT this year. I am hoping he comes to the realization that splitting LMA and Duncan is the way to go most of the time.

Actually, embarrassment of riches. Too many good players that can manufacture their points.

tbdog
01-18-2016, 02:52 PM

He will no doubt have TD play some backup center in the playoffs, but the man will start. He is our main shot blocker and our defense actually works by sending players his way.

sasaint
01-18-2016, 02:57 PM
He will no doubt have TD play some backup center in the playoffs, but the man will start. He is our main shot blocker and our defense actually works by sending players his way.

Yes, he is the heart and soul of the defense still. So by every indication, LMA is not the guy who will replace Timmy in that regard, meaning we will need to find somebody before next season who has the heart and soul to become the heart and soul of our defense.

bic50
01-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Pops admitted to not studying teams before games.

raybies
01-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Wish we could afford Horford. He's a free agent this summer.

houston spurs fan
01-18-2016, 03:30 PM
We're 36-6, why the hell do anything to fuck up the rotations/chemistry? Danny needs to shoot, Danny needs to play...

kaji157
01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
#SaveManuStartGreen

Manu is too old to have to carry another corpse.

Spurtacular
01-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I say light a fire under Green and start Simmons for a few games.

Spurtacular
01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
#SaveManuStartGreen

Manu is too old to have to carry another corpse.

That's bad news for Corpse McCallum.

BillMc
01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
We're 36-6, why the hell do anything to fuck up the rotations/chemistry? Danny needs to shoot, Danny needs to play...

This

Spurtacular
01-18-2016, 05:01 PM

Fair enough, tbh.

spurs10
01-18-2016, 05:02 PM
I know we're having a orrible year, but no need to panic!!! :hat

TheGreatYacht
01-26-2016, 12:13 AM
It's time.

HarlemHeat37
01-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Starting Simmons would be a terrible idea, tbh, he's the prototypical energy player..

He enters the game to give the team a jolt with his athleticism/out of control play..

sventhedog
01-26-2016, 12:16 AM
i agree. it's time for my main man bill simmons!

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2016, 02:13 AM
Let me sip this tea

DJR210
10-26-2016, 02:38 AM
Holy fuck :wow :lmao

Just saw McGee get his shit pushed in :lol

:lmao @ McGee's lil' hop to start running back up court like nothing happened

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2016, 02:46 AM
Holy fuck :wow :lmao

Just saw McGee get his shit pushed in :lol

:lmao @ McGee's lil' hop to start running back up court like nothing happened
I loved watching all the new guys, even Kawhi get up after that on the bench. The old geezers last year would've given a golf clap tbh

DJR210
10-26-2016, 03:26 AM
I loved watching all the new guys, even Kawhi get up after that on the bench. The old geezers last year would've given a golf clap tbh

Yeah, if you look closely I think you'll even see David doing the super trendy "hold em back" celebration too :tu

TheGreatYacht
01-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Outplayed D-League Danny again

GSH
01-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Starting Simmons would be a terrible idea, tbh, he's the prototypical energy player..

He enters the game to give the team a jolt with his athleticism/out of control play..

Yep. And I like Simmons. But that's spot on.

james evans
01-11-2017, 12:12 AM
With Green's defense now just as bad as Parker, Gasol, and Aldridge, now we got to hide 4 of the 5 starters on defense

BillMc
01-11-2017, 12:34 AM

He's developing nice chemsitry with Davis. Give him more minutes but keep Simmons right where he is

DPG21920
01-11-2017, 12:39 AM
With Green's defense now just as bad as Parker, Gasol, and Aldridge, now we got to hide 4 of the 5 starters on defense

I'm literally depressed.

r0drig0lac
01-11-2017, 09:03 AM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

TheGreatYacht
01-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Green and Gasol are easily the worst defenders in the starting lineup

The only PG's to torch Parker have been George Hill and CP0 tbh. The SG's that have torched Green, well, let's just say, name me a SG and I'll give you one that torched D-League Danny :lol

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Playing like a man possessed out there. I don't think he should start yet for Murray though, but if he keeps it going. Pay that man

pgardn
05-05-2017, 11:40 PM
His defense really helped us.