PDA

View Full Version : Is Simmons a better defender than Green?

raybies
01-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Wanted to know yalls thoughts. If not now I think he has the potential to be.

GSH
01-14-2016, 10:54 PM
No.

YGWHI
01-14-2016, 10:59 PM
No. He won't ever reach Danny's D level but he's good and can improve, a rookie needs time...

lilbthebasedgod
01-14-2016, 10:59 PM
no, he's tenacious but gets out of position sometimes and fouls a lot.

Spurtacular
01-14-2016, 11:00 PM
No. He won't ever reach Danny's level but he's good and can improve, a rookie needs time...

Dunno about that. Simmons was already arguably the third best defender on the team to start the season. He's in the stratosphere.

hater
01-14-2016, 11:02 PM
No bug he is so much better on offense.......

dabom
01-14-2016, 11:03 PM
Nah rook.

kaji157
01-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Right now, with Greenīs head all messed up, all players are better than Green. at everything.

raybies
01-14-2016, 11:05 PM
I think it might be close. Haven't seen as much as I'd like but I think he can get the blocks Danny gets and he already gets alot of deflections like Danny. What I think he does better already is fighting through screens, even drawing offensive fouls. I think he fouls alot right now cause he hugs on his man when he gets the chance. Doesn't want to let his man score.

Kawhitstorm
01-14-2016, 11:07 PM
He's a better energy guy but Danny ripped Kyrie which doesn't happen often.

rastaspur
01-14-2016, 11:07 PM
No sir. Hes got a bigger set of balls though and has the better chance of being a more complete and better player if he keeps absorbing everything like a sponge and just being hungry to improve like kawhi.

Chinook
01-14-2016, 11:08 PM
It's not close. Both of them are streaky, but Green's a good defender more often than Simmons, and when they're both good, Green is a lot better. There will be games where Simmons is better. But in general, no.

Again, though, Pop is hurting Green by putting him off the ball. Would have made more sense to let him start on Irving. Smith posting Parker up would be a great result for the defense.

YGWHI
01-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Dunno about that. Simmons was already arguably the third best defender on the team to start the season. He's in the stratosphere.

Well, Green in 2014 WCF- Finals is a level of defense too hard to reach. He's one of the best defenders in transition and one-on-one...This season, he doesn't look that great but we know he can play at that level.

KDKSpurs24
01-14-2016, 11:10 PM
I don't know guys.. You say he fouls a lot but I just think it's because he needs more experience guarding different guys. He just need to continue to play against more guys and I feel he'll learn what to do and not do. He seems like a fast learner that learns by 'seeing' and 'doing'.

raybies
01-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Well, Green in 2014 WCF- Finals is a level of defense too hard to reach. He's one of the best defenders in transition and one-on-one...This season, he doesn't look that great but we know he can play at that level.

True, wish I knew what his problem is right now.

Spurtacular
01-14-2016, 11:14 PM

Simmons was playing that type of D in summer league; yes, I know it was just summer league. Often these things are a shadow of things to come though.

Chinook
01-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Simmons was playing that type of D in summer league; yes, I know it was just summer league. Often these things are a shadow of things to come though.

Simmons wasn't even good on D in the SL. What the hell are you talking about?

Chinook
01-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Anyway, Green's been fine on both ends over the past 12 games or so. His issue isn't that he hasn't been adequate enough (like seriously the OP is acting like he wasn't good the past two or three games). It's that he hasn't had enough of the GREAT games to balance out his poor ones. He'll have 2-4 shooting games and 1-7 shooting games pretty regularly, but he has only had a couple of games where he has shot over 70 percent from three. Same goes for his D. He's only had a couple of games where he's terrorized guys and racked up stats. He's had a number of bad games, but most of his recent games have been above average. But he's a $10-Million player because of the great games, so that's what he needs to have more of. So it's definitely an issue, but not to the point that Simmons is a better defensive option.

raybies
01-14-2016, 11:33 PM
Anyway, Green's been fine on both ends over the past 12 games or so. His issue isn't that he hasn't been adequate enough (like seriously the OP is acting like he wasn't good the past two or three games). It's that he hasn't had enough of the GREAT games to balance out his poor ones. He'll have 2-4 shooting games and 1-7 shooting games pretty regularly, but he has only had a couple of games where he has shot over 70 percent from three. Same goes for his D. He's only had a couple of games where he's terrorized guys and racked up stats. He's had a number of bad games, but most of his recent games have been above average. But he's a $10-Million player because of the great games, so that's what he needs to have more of. So it's definitely an issue, but not to the point that Simmons is a better defensive option.

Maybe not a better defensive option at this point in their careers but I think he can be comparable. Sure when we face golden state I want Danny guarding Stephanie. Lol auto correct but I'll let it stay... Anyways while we're on the subject I like the dynamic juice brings if Danny isn't hitting threes. He gets to the rim and in the playoffs that translates. I think his play tonight was a good sign he did his job. When manu retires he may still have the same role if juice can keep his progress up. Just wanted more to read about the subject...

Spurtacular
01-14-2016, 11:41 PM
Simmons wasn't even good on D in the SL. What the hell are you talking about?

Dude, you weren't paying attention.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-14-2016, 11:42 PM
I think so. Green got buttfucked by JR Smith and Shumpfart tonight :lol

SAGirl
01-14-2016, 11:43 PM
He's improving by leaps and bounds. He will need to control his fouling, but he's been much better, not biting on fakes, and staying put. He definitely has quickness to stick with guys and put pressure. He lacks length, so bigger guys will cause him trouble, but he's able to present some resistance.

Green has the experience, but Simmons is improving and he's a great option to have. Danny had a sequence where he got hit with a backcut (Pop pulled him immediately at the next ball for Simmons). The Spurs were able to make a run with Simmons playing in the 3rd Q and it was in part possible bc Simmons was solid. He scored once on a drive to the basket, but his best contribution in that stretch, at least to me, was him sticking to JR Smith, and during this stretch Smith staying quiet and not being able to draw fouls on Simmons. I thought despite the fouls, this was a terrific developmental leap by Simmons.

DAnny overall, when he has a monster game is much better, but the problem is Danny's inconsistency, on top of his poor shooting, he's currently gifting development minutes to Simmons. Lucky for us Simmons stepped up.

raybies
01-14-2016, 11:50 PM
He's improving by leaps and bounds. He will need to control his fouling, but he's been much better, not biting on fakes, and staying put. He definitely has quickness to stick with guys and put pressure. He lacks length, so bigger guys will cause him trouble, but he's able to present some resistance.

Green has the experience, but Simmons is improving and he's a great option to have. Danny had a sequence where he got hit with a backcut (Pop pulled him immediately at the next ball for Simmons). The Spurs were able to make a run with Simmons playing in the 3rd Q and it was in part possible bc Simmons was solid. He scored once on a drive to the basket, but his best contribution in that stretch, at least to me, was him sticking to JR Smith, and during this stretch Smith staying quiet and not being able to draw fouls on Simmons. I thought despite the fouls, this was a terrific developmental leap by Simmons.

DAnny overall, when he has a monster game is much better, but the problem is Danny's inconsistency, on top of his poor shooting, he's currently gifting development minutes to Simmons. Lucky for us Simmons stepped up.

Excellent post!

Not only did he keep Smith quiet but he drew that foul that sent him to the bench when he was going off.

Kawhitstorm
01-15-2016, 12:08 AM

He got cucked by KCP against the Pistons, so he has had two back-to-back shitty defensive games but Tony bailed out his backcourt teammate (not Simmons).

DMC
01-15-2016, 12:10 AM
Simmons is green. No he's not Danny Green, but he's green as in he has to smoke because he's too green to burn. He's full of energy and swag but he's a trainwreck with Pop trying to use him when he needs the trainwreck to occur.

I like the kid though. Still, there are a lot like him in the D-league who haven't gotten their opportunity yet.

KaiRMD1
01-15-2016, 12:19 AM
Still too early but Simmons will be something, the old sport is definitely apart of the future core of the Spurs

SAGirl
01-15-2016, 12:22 AM
Maybe not a better defensive option at this point in their careers but I think he can be comparable. Sure when we face golden state I want Danny guarding Stephanie. Lol auto correct but I'll let it stay... Anyways while we're on the subject I like the dynamic juice brings if Danny isn't hitting threes. He gets to the rim and in the playoffs that translates. I think his play tonight was a good sign he did his job. When manu retires he may still have the same role if juice can keep his progress up. Just wanted more to read about the subject...
I think for sure, he can be our SG of the future after Manu... not ever the same as Manu, but I would rather have someone like him than a guy like Marco as bench SG without Manu. He's more dynamic and plays defense. He gives the SL different options with his drives to the basket, something we would be completely missing when Manu retires, so you can swap him up with Danny much as Pop switches Danny/Manu right now depending on what he feels the team is lacking. Then in the bench, when Anderson develops he'll be able to pair up with either guy. When Danny plays with the bench you run more things through Anderson as he can post up and dish... Anderson and Danny have a lot of chemistry TBH. Anderson finds him for transition 3s and gets him shots. When he's with Simmons, you run things for Simmons. Hopefully Anderson develops that 3 to space things out for Simmons, and also Anderson is great finding cutters to the basket. The two who are unlikely to mesh up is Kawhi/Anderson unless you have Anderson as a small ball 4... I don't see Anderson as a SG, hes just not quick enough and when you have Danny/Simmons, we don't ever want to put him there, unless its a switch.

Overall I think the wings will be able to mix and match very well. Anderson is the youngest and the one who needs to develop more (his strength/body and his 3 ball), but Simmons is already older and further along. To me sounds like we could be set if these guys continue to progress on their current trayectory.

100%duncan
01-15-2016, 12:29 AM
No. Next.

SouthernFried
01-15-2016, 12:36 AM
He has the potential. But, it looks like Simmons shines better on the Offensive end.

The Spurs love having a great defender who can shoot 3's. It worked well with Bowen, and it has worked well with Green. I don't think Pop wants to give that up. Simmon doesn't seem to be the 3 point shooter Danny is...or has been in the past. Even tho he's a much better scorer. So, Pop will give Danny the time and room to get his shit together...lucky for him.

Lerojo
01-15-2016, 01:18 AM
Simmons is great at getting into the paint, and passing. He is mediocre on D. A tonne of potential though.

Green is a high level perimeter defender and fast break defender, he is currently ice cold on the offensive side of things. He can only get better at shooting surely. He is also dribbling way too much then taking terrible midrange shots.

Overall Green should stay in the start purely for his defense. That's what will do us better in the playoffs anyway, especially against matchups like the dubs if we play them.

Chinook
01-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Dude, you weren't paying attention.

:rolleyes

SpursFan86
01-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Simmons is a below average defender at this point. He has shown he has the potential to be a good (maybe even great) defender down the road, but as of now he's definitely not there...which is fine/expected considering his lack of NBA experience.

Green has been a bit disappointing defensively this year, but overall he's still at least been an above average defender.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Since Spurstalk has spent much of this year turning Danny Green into the most overrated defender in the history of sports, the answer is probably yes. All I care about is that Green gets comfortable in his own skin before the playoffs.

Spurtacular
01-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Simmons is a below average defender at this point. He has shown he has the potential to be a good (maybe even great) defender down the road, but as of now he's definitely not there...which is fine/expected considering his lack of NBA experience.

Green has been a bit disappointing defensively this year, but overall he's still at least been an above average defender.

I don't know about below average; but he hasn't dazzled like in SL.

ceperez
01-15-2016, 09:47 AM
]Simmons is a below average defender at this point. [/B]He has shown he has the potential to be a good (maybe even great) defender down the road, but as of now he's definitely not there...which is fine/expected considering his lack of NBA experience.

What the hell? Do you even know what you are talking about?

SpursFan86
01-15-2016, 10:10 AM
He hasn't been particularly impressive on that end. Maybe "below average" is exaggerating, but he certainly hasn't been good as a whole. He's extremely prone to fouling and seems to struggle with losing his man. His opponents shoot noticeably better against him compared to their averages.

Again, he has moments where he shows great defensive potential, but the consistency isn't there yet.

cd98
01-15-2016, 10:58 AM
No. Green is a better defender, but mostly because Simmons loses focus and gets lost at times in the team defensive schemes. One on one, Simmons has impressed by generating a few turnovers, but Danny does a lot of that too, plus he is a great shot blocker for a two guard.

ceperez
01-15-2016, 11:19 AM
He hasn't been particularly impressive on that end. Maybe "below average" is exaggerating, but he certainly hasn't been good as a whole. He's extremely prone to fouling and seems to struggle with losing his man. His opponents shoot noticeably better against him compared to their averages.

Again, he has moments where he shows great defensive potential, but the consistency isn't there yet.

Yes, below average is too much of an exaggeration. Simmons is asked to guard the players that Leonard or Green is asked to guard.

He's not as disciplined as both Leonard or Green, but you are comparing with the top wing defenders in the league.

Rain Man
01-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Is Simmons better than Green? Right now no. But he's a rookie. Green has had time in the system and is way more comfortable. Simmons will surpass Green in not time.

raybies
01-30-2016, 11:18 PM
Pop molding him to be...

Chinook
01-30-2016, 11:33 PM
It does seem like Pop wants to groom him to at least be the third guy. It just goes to underscore how Pop treats his guys differently. Simmons isn't on Green's continent defensively (even in the down year), but Pop will praise the hell out of Jonathon and bristle at the suggestion that Green is a good defender. I understand that he's coaching them the way he thinks he needs to, but it's obvious the media doesn't understand that.

And that block on Lebron was completely a goaltend. For all the calls to go the Spurs' way in this game.

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2016, 11:42 PM
He's very poor defensively, but I understand Pop's strategy, since his on-ball defense is far better than his team defense, right now..

apalisoc_9
01-30-2016, 11:49 PM
Simmons obviously plays with energy but its pretty clear hes a poor defender. The bigs behind him never knows what they are suppose to do because he tries so hard to body them up.

Green plays controlled defensivley and is almost always insync with the bigs.

My biggest worry is that pop convinces himself for some odd reason that simmons deserve to eat some of green playoff minutes. Could be a game changer against.the spurs

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-31-2016, 12:14 AM
Kid was the best defender we had tonight against Kyrie.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2016, 12:16 AM
He's a streaky defender who is learning NBA defense. Only an idiot would call him an out and out bad defender.

SAGirl
01-31-2016, 12:24 AM
He has quick feet and athleticism to make guards uncomfortable. Apparently that is what Pop wants. I definitely like his effort. We have to understand he's a rookie and will get lost at times, but he does definitely put in the effort and hustle and that is necessary. He has also improved. He was much much worse when he started playing so I do believe he looks at film and practices with the guys.

UZER
01-31-2016, 12:29 AM
Don't get the defense hate on him. Sure he needs to be better within the scheme but his constant on ball pressure is impressive. He's learning, plus in a playoff series, that constant body on body D will start wearing guys out over the course of the series. He's a great change of pace to throw at a guy.

Raven
01-31-2016, 12:32 AM
Simmons obviously plays with energy but its pretty clear hes a poor defender. The bigs behind him never knows what they are suppose to do because he tries so hard to body them up.

Green plays controlled defensivley and is almost always insync with the bigs.

My biggest worry is that pop convinces himself for some odd reason that simmons deserve to eat some of green playoff minutes. Could be a game changer against.the spurs
this

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-31-2016, 01:00 AM
I don't know why anyone is knocking on his defense tonight. Every bucket Kyrie got on him was tough. As opposed to the the turnstyle from Parker, Manu, and Green. And he threw Lebron's shit one time. And generally had the Buckets scowl going on all game about us being down.

Somewhere tonight Stephen Jackson was smoking a bowl, nodding his head in approval, and thinking back to the Nets series in 03.

Chinook
01-31-2016, 01:03 AM
^ :lol No wonder so many people think Simmons played well. Iriving had no issues with Simmons. Drew just went by him on every possession.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2016, 01:05 AM
I don't know why anyone is knocking on his defense tonight. Every bucket Kyrie got on him was tough. As opposed to the the turnstyle from Parker, Manu, and Green. And he threw Lebron's shit one time. And generally had the Buckets scowl going on all game about us being down.

Somewhere tonight Stephen Jackson was smoking a bowl, nodding his head in approval, and thinking back to the Nets series in 03.

His defensive PPP was actually horrible..I haven't re-watched the game, yet, but I'm pretty certain Irving scored on him on every possession but 1:lol

01-31-2016, 01:05 AM
Green has some of the best defensive instincts I've ever seen. He just loses focus too much.