PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds Show Up to Meet Boban

BillMc
01-16-2016, 01:43 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/hundred-show-meet-boban

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/story_main_photo/public/boban_fan.png?itok=wvCiNEUu

Hundreds Show Up To Meet Boban

Juan Ramirez waited at Wingstop for five hours so he could turn his back to Boban Marjanovic. And when he turned, Marjanovic laughed and marveled at something he’d never seen before.

Ramirez had Boban’s image shaved into his head.

Ramirez was one of more than 500 Spurs fans who attended Marjanovic’s autograph signing at Wingstop, with some fans arriving as much as 11 hours early for the event. He said the “bob” haircut took more than two hours to complete by Joe Barajas, better known as Joe Barber.

“We want Boban to feel at home,” Ramirez said. “He’s such a good guy and a great player, so I wanted to do something for him to make him smile.”

Marjanovic, the Spurs’ rookie center from Serbia, said he was amazed at the crowd waiting to greet him. He signed a baby, some cowboy boots, and plenty of basketballs.

“This is a first, this is just wow,” Marjanovic said. “I told a friend about the crowd, and he didn’t believe it, so I had to send him a picture.”

Season ticket member Mark Guzman wore a custom-ordered Marjanovic jersey to the autograph signing. A Christmas gift from his girlfriend,

Melissa Campos, Guzman said Boban has become an instant fan favorite because of his joyful personality.

“You always see him smiling out there, and he really seems like such a genuine guy,” Guzman said. “I think that’s why we’re all out here to support him. You can tell he’s already a true Spur.”

Wingstop, which prohibited fans from camping out for the event, asked fans not to line up until 3 p.m. for the 7 p.m. event. They didn’t listen, and there was already had a crowd building outside the restaurant when it opened at 11 a.m., according to Wingstop spokesperson Stephanie Yzaguirre. By the time Marjanovic arrived, there were more than 500 fans crowded outside.

Mario Sosa was the first fan to arrive at 8 a.m., and said meeting Boban was well worth the wait.

“The wait doesn’t feel long when you’re talking about the Spurs the whole time,” Sosa said.

Marjanovic, 27, was a three-time Serbian Super League MVP before he came to San Antonio this season. He said the fan support has provided a big boost for him both on and off the court this season.

“This is like my hometown,” he said. “These people are amazing.”

BillMc
01-16-2016, 01:47 PM
You are a serious fan if you shave the image of a third-string center on your head. Props to Juan!:toast

Budkin
01-16-2016, 01:58 PM
SA's new adopted son! Love it.

RD2191
01-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Awesome! Great to see fan support for our bench players! Boban must feel awesome.

boutons_deux
01-16-2016, 02:03 PM
500? amazing.

Spurs gotta work on him, bring him along, get his BB and Spurs IQ to same level as his fans' enthusiasm, and keep him,

BillMc
01-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Any ST regulars among the 500?

spursistan
01-16-2016, 02:09 PM
damn that freak show circus element is legit :depressed..

EVAY
01-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Great for him and great for Spurs fans!

Mugen
01-16-2016, 02:30 PM
Boban's my nigga tbh.

ceperez
01-16-2016, 03:25 PM
You are a serious fan if you shave the image of a third-string center on your head. Props to Juan!:toast

:bobo

Spurs9
01-16-2016, 09:32 PM
I should have gone tbh

noles1983
01-16-2016, 10:16 PM
11 hours in line? typical SA bums. No wonder i never give a thought to go to these events, fuck that i have a life.

UZER
01-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Pop not happy for Boban.

GSH
01-16-2016, 10:31 PM
My daughter sent a Viber message from Costa Rica about this earlier today. I asked her how she knew about it - she said people are crazy about Boban in Costa Rica. I've never seen anything like this before.

siraulo23
01-16-2016, 10:36 PM
I think geniune is a perfect word to describe boban

plus hes a damn solid basketball player so its easy to be a boban fan

anakha
01-16-2016, 11:51 PM
Extra stuff like that hopefully makes it easier to keep him on the team next season.

Chris
01-16-2016, 11:57 PM

Gotta love the redhead kid who got a Bonner hair cut

Silver&Black
01-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Boban's my nigga tbh.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-17-2016, 12:20 AM
Boban is awesome. Cool to see the city embrace him like this.

Mikeanaro
01-17-2016, 02:47 AM
Fan´s favorite, Indubitably.

Russo21
01-17-2016, 03:28 AM
I think geniune is a perfect word to describe boban

plus hes a damn solid basketball player so its easy to be a boban fan agreed, I really really hope he is on the team next year.

hooperflash
01-17-2016, 04:07 AM
My daughter sent a Viber message from Costa Rica about this earlier today. I asked her how she knew about it - she said people are crazy about Boban in Costa Rica. I've never seen anything like this before.

Did Kawhi actually take a photo with her?

SupremeGuy
01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm loving his attitude. Seems so fucking down to Earth.

GSH
01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
Did Kawhi actually take a photo with her?

LOL... at first read I thought you were just trying to be a smartass. Then I remembered that thread about some guy's daughter and Kawhi, and whatever the hell happened. I usually avoid those kinds of threads.

Yeah, she's in the Peace Corps, and for Christmas she wanted NBA League Pass. This is the first year we haven't gone to at least one Spurs game together, and she's afraid that she won't get to see Duncan play again. She texts me Spurs info all the time, and sometimes I hear things from her first, even though she's in Costa Rica.

Obviously I raised her right.

AFMadison
01-17-2016, 03:44 PM
11 hours in line? typical SA bums. No wonder i never give a thought to go to these events, fuck that i have a life.
You should eat a snickers

exstatic
01-17-2016, 03:48 PM
You should eat a snickers

That won't help terminally crabby hipsters.

KenziE
01-17-2016, 05:26 PM
LOL... at first read I thought you were just trying to be a smartass. Then I remembered that thread about some guy's daughter and Kawhi, and whatever the hell happened. I usually avoid those kinds of threads.

Yeah, she's in the Peace Corps, and for Christmas she wanted NBA League Pass. This is the first year we haven't gone to at least one Spurs game together, and she's afraid that she won't get to see Duncan play again. She texts me Spurs info all the time, and sometimes I hear things from her first, even though she's in Costa Rica.

AMEN

hooperflash
01-17-2016, 05:37 PM

That's pretty cool man, tbh!

.G.
01-17-2016, 05:45 PM
Glad to see the Bobinator pulling a good turn out. He really is a lovable giant.
----
Guess I wasn't the only one who smelled the hipster.

BillMc
01-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Well done!:toast