PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker Expects to Extend Career Because of Leonard and Aldridge

BillMc
01-16-2016, 02:03 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240456/Tony-Parker-Expects-To-Extend-Career-Because-Of-Leonard-Aldridge

Tony Parker Expects To Extend Career Because Of Leonard, Aldridge

http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Parker_Tony_sas_110623.jpg

The way Kawhi Leonard has become one of the NBA's best players and the San Antonio Spurs' addition of LaMarcus Aldridge could extend the length of time Tony Parker wishes to continue playing.

Parker is 33, a few years younger than the Spurs' other long-time core players Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

"It definitely helps that Kawhi and LaMarcus are here and playing great," Parker said. "That will help me to play longer, that’s for sure. If Kawhi and LaMarcus were not there, then maybe when Timmy and Manu was gone, maybe I’d play one or two (more years after that point) and retire.

"But now that they’re there, it makes me want to be there for the young guys. The way Timmy and Manu help all the young guys, I want to do the same thing too, you know? It’s such a great family and a great atmosphere, that it makes you want to stay."

Parker is signed with the Spurs through the summer of 2018.

"I don’t know," Parker said of the prospect of Duncan and Ginobili returning yet again. "To be honest with you, I don’t know. I have no idea. You don’t know, because it’s been three or four years like that."

Fireball
01-16-2016, 02:04 PM
he is playing very good this season ... but lets not get carried away here

Cklbmk
01-16-2016, 02:13 PM
he is playing very good this season ... but lets not get carried away here

Nothing he said is irrational. He can stay in a leadership role and let LMA and Kawhi do the heroball

spursistan
01-16-2016, 02:13 PM
If Tony keeps playing this and deliver us 6 , I would forgive him if he pulls a Clipper series for the entirety of 2017/2018 seasons..tbh, IMO, FWIW

BillMc
01-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Nash and Kidd were effective until what? 38? 39? Tony might have 4 good years if he's not doing the heavy lifting.

Cklbmk
01-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Nash and Kidd were effective until what? 38? 39? Tony might have 4 good years if he's not doing the heavy lifting.

They both had pretty different games than Tony though. Tony runs around a lot more than either of them.

spurraider21
01-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Kawhi ruining the team per par

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2016, 03:02 PM
:worthy:

dabom
01-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Kawhi has extended many player's careers.

Mr. Body
01-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Kawhi and LMA have been so good I'm starting to wonder whether Manu might actually go one more year. I know Duncan will.

thiste
01-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Come on guys, what he's saying is that he likes this team and he's had renewed motivation to stay competitive. I can't see that as a bad thing.

Brazil
01-16-2016, 05:22 PM

Thats actually very very true :tu

benefactor
01-16-2016, 05:52 PM
He should be fine if he keeps working on his three ball. He'll be shooting more and more of them as he get's older.

Em-City
01-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Boris and Tony as the elder statesmen in 2020 would be cool

exstatic
01-16-2016, 06:08 PM
He should be fine if he keeps working on his three ball. Hbe'll be shooting more and more of them as he get's older.
He's shot 37, 43, and 42 these last three seasons. Not a ton of attempts, but the most consistent stretch of his career.

benefactor
01-16-2016, 06:19 PM
He's shot 37, 43, and 42 these last three seasons. Not a ton of attempts, but the most consistent stretch of his career.
Agreed. Hopefully he can hold those percentages at the attempts go up...because they will certainly have to.

Neurosis
01-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Like others have said if TP can build himself into a legit 3pt threat at the PG position a la Jason Kidd then I'd have no problem with him staying on for a few more years. If he could manage 37% or higher on 4 3PA per game that'd be a big weapon for us. He wouldn't be able to be the huge scoring threat he has been in the past but it'd be great to have him there. He's one of the best PnR players in the league and he doesn't have to always be a starter either.

Next step is for LMA + Kawhi to both develop better passing out of the post and improve their court vision like TD did early in his career. If we can do that and keep Parker coming off the bench (maybe sharing minutes with a younger, playmaker type PG) to run other team's benches into the ground with any average to good PnR big man (not too hard to find) then we could probably stay relevant for years to come :toast

rasuo214
01-16-2016, 06:55 PM
With the way things are going the Big3 and Pop might retire at the same time. Timmy and Manu are still more than effective and Pop is doing a great job reducing their roles.

Mikeanaro
01-16-2016, 07:10 PM
It could be done, the new role has it benefits.

ElNono
01-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Better than coattailing D'Bust and Julia Randle, tbh...

Uriel
01-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Kawhi and LMA have been so good I'm starting to wonder whether Manu might actually go one more year. I know Duncan will.
Likewise. Dream scenario for Spurs fans is that the Spurs win the title this year, the front office convinces Duncan and Ginobili to stay for one last season, and the Spurs repeat in 2017, accomplishing the one goal that has eluded the team throughout their careers: back-to-back championships.

100%duncan
01-16-2016, 09:11 PM
If Tony keeps playing this and deliver us 6 , I would forgive him if he pulls a Clipper series for the entirety of 2017/2018 seasons..tbh, IMO, FWIW

Spurs 4 The Win
01-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Likewise. Dream scenario for Spurs fans is that the Spurs win the title this year, the front office convinces Duncan and Ginobili to stay for one last season, and the Spurs repeat in 2017, accomplishing the one goal that has eluded the team throughout their careers: back-to-back championships.
Lets win this year first lol

ohmwrecker
01-16-2016, 09:22 PM

Name one.

dabom
01-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Name one.

I can do better faggot. :lmao

Duncan, Manu, and Tony. :lmao

hater
01-16-2016, 10:08 PM
:lol shortbus crew on suicide watch :lol

jag
01-17-2016, 12:33 AM

Matt Barnes comes to mind.

DenialTwist
01-17-2016, 02:40 AM

No, I think Manu is retiring after this season. He has alluded to it several times already.

SAGirl
01-17-2016, 03:31 AM
I think this is true. His leadership will be even more needed when Timmy/Manu retire.
We will get younger at that point, either through FA or draft. Some young players we already have this season could develop into larger roles and carry more of a burden.
It's unknown, but it will be a lot younger crew for sure and good teams always have vets to mentor and encourage them. Tony looks great playing less minutes and with more help. He's able to pick his spots and play defense. We will need a young PG to back him up and spell him for games when he's rested. I am not sure Ray is that guy. I haven't particularly liked him the way I have liked Boban/Simmons/Anderson. I don't think he has much potential is probably the reason.

But I am diverting from the subject. I hope Tony can stay healthy and in shape enough to help mentor the new generation Spurs.

ManuTastic
01-17-2016, 09:45 AM
They both had pretty different games than Tony though. Tony runs around a lot more than either of them.

I tend to agree. Not that Tony can't play a few more years with a lighter load, but he's neither the shooter Nash was nor the gifted passer both Nash and Kidd were. His game really is more predicated on his speed getting into the lane; I just don't know how effective he'll be once that goes. Hope he continues to be a deadly outside shooter!

mookie2001
01-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Man Parkers so badass he'll be in the HOF one day.

Bambililos
01-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Funny how haters have stated his whole career that he's all about the fame, Hollywood, that he would bolt the second he'd have a chance. They predicted he would choose the Lakers or the Knicks or whatever hype teams many times before he signed his contracts. And he's still there, he's taken less that he could get elsewhere a couple times, he's proud to ba a career Spurs and thinking about extending his career there.

Mel_13
01-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Funny how haters have stated his whole career that he's all about the fame, Hollywood, that he would bolt the second he'd have a chance. They predicted he would choose the Lakers or the Knicks or whatever hype teams many times before he signed his contracts. And he's still there, he's taken less that he could get elsewhere a couple times, he's proud to ba a career Spurs and thinking about extending his career there.

True, Parker has never been a free agent.

Tully365
01-17-2016, 02:15 PM

:toast Exactly... the haters have constructed a complete myth about him that is simply not true. I'm looking forward to seeing him become one of the best back up PGs in the league in his final years, and maybe a big 3 second unit of Tim, Manu, & Tony next year... what more perfect way to show how they've "gotten over themselves" (as Pop likes to say) then to move to the bench as a unit & bash other teams' bench guys as they ride into the retirement sunset?

Cry Havoc
01-17-2016, 02:42 PM

If we get 6, I'm not sure I want Duncan to play another year. I'd almost prefer him to retire at that point if it saves him unnecessary physical pain from playing way past when his body was running on E. Players who go too long can end up in some pretty abject misery afterward.

SupremeGuy
01-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Funny how haters have stated his whole career that he's all about the fame, Hollywood, that he would bolt the second he'd have a chance. They predicted he would choose the Lakers or the Knicks or whatever hype teams many times before he signed his contracts. And he's still there, he's taken less that he could get elsewhere a couple times, he's proud to ba a career Spurs and thinking about extending his career there.I'm surprised you can type with his dick in your mouth. How that does work? Do you reach around him to type or do you turn your head and suck dick from the side?

TheGreatYacht
01-17-2016, 03:12 PM
I'm surprised you can type with his dick in your mouth. How that does work? Do you reach around him to type or do you turn your head and suck dick from the side?
Does your jaw ever lock up on you? I mean, destroying food all day must take it's toll on it. At least those bananas you love to stuff your throat with are with good cause, dat potassium :toast

SupremeGuy
01-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Does your jaw ever lock up on you? I mean, destroying food all day must take it's toll on it. At least those bananas you love to stuff your throat with are with good cause, dat potassium :toastYour insults, like your basketball takes, are pure shit man. :lol Like fucking seriously, at least put some effort.

TheGreatYacht
01-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Your insults, like your basketball takes, are pure shit man. :lol Like fucking seriously, at least put some effort.
Dick jokes :lol what a faggot

Put enough effort in that you took your fat ass off your avi lmao. Me. I did that.

Cry Havoc
01-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Your insults, like your basketball takes, are pure shit man. :lol Like fucking seriously, at least put some effort.

Yeah, he should have really dug deep to find some originality. Maybe making gay jokes. I've never heard those before. Would be super hilarious if I ever read one.

SupremeGuy
01-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Dick jokes :lol what a faggot

Put enough effort in that you took your fat ass off your avi lmao. Me. I did that.I didn't realize my pictures mattered to you so much. Maybe I'll put it back up for you. :toast

SupremeGuy
01-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Yeah, he should have really dug deep to find some originality. Maybe making gay jokes. I've never heard those before. Would be super hilarious if I ever read one.Gay jokes are funny if used correctly. This bitch is just vomiting bullshit.

TheGreatYacht
01-17-2016, 03:46 PM
I didn't realize my pictures mattered to you so much. Maybe I'll put it back up for you. :toast
Just cause you got C cups don't mean you a female. Foh with that gay shit

Cry Havoc
01-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Gay jokes are funny if used correctly. This bitch is just vomiting bullshit.

Yeah, if you're Bill Burr. Not if you're a wannabe on SpursTalk who thinks he's uniquely witty.

ohmwrecker
01-17-2016, 04:36 PM
I can do better faggot. :lmao

Duncan, Manu, and Tony. :lmao

Link?

Bambililos
01-17-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm surprised you can type with his dick in your mouth. How that does work? Do you reach around him to type or do you turn your head and suck dick from the side?

Actually I'm not that much into cock (although I have a couple good memories) but you seem like an expert. You shouldn't repress yourself that much man, you wouldn't want to develop an unhealthy obsession. Embrace the dicks in your life.

lefty
01-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Shit.

TrainOfThought5
01-18-2016, 10:17 PM

No. not in kawhi and LMAs prime. absolutely not. theres PLENTY of championships out there for us to win. especially when Kawhi can shut down the three best players in the league.

Spur Bank
01-19-2016, 01:00 AM
Only two guards are in the top 25 in field goal percentage... Curry at #17, and Parker, unbelievably, at #6. He's shooting his highest percentage in 10 years, back when his game was all about getting to the rim.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/field-goals/sort/fieldGoalPct/year/2016/seasontype/2

This is barely relevant to the thread title, but it's more relevant than the cock talk so I guess it belongs.

lilbthebasedgod
01-19-2016, 01:47 AM
Lmao why's he called tony parker when he's a driver?! Smh tbqhfam

Kidd K
01-19-2016, 04:49 AM

Yeah. 42% is not just "respectable" but is an efficiency you feel you can rely on during key moments. Kawhi too.

lefty
01-19-2016, 07:20 AM
:lmao Parker

:lmao coat tailing LMA and Kiwi

:lol Kobe Parker

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-19-2016, 10:44 AM
No, I think Manu is retiring after this season. He has alluded to it several times already.

I don't think he will. He looks rejuvenated out there. I think he and Duncan hang it up next year, he'll go when Duncan goes. The fact the Spurs signed LMA, emergence of Kawhi, the development of Simmons/KA, the big kid on the block Boban, etc. there is just so much going for the Spurs right now, I just don't see Manu stepping down just yet. Its not like Drob who was forced into retirement b/c of a bad back. Manu hasn't taken any big hits this season and hasn't had ZERO injuries (knock on wood).

Manu is still playing great.

AFMadison
01-19-2016, 10:46 AM
:lmao Parker

:lmao coat tailing LMA and Kiwi

:lol Kobe Parker
They all play on the same team

$pursDynasty
01-19-2016, 11:16 AM
If we get 6, I'm not sure I want Duncan to play another year. I'd almost prefer him to retire at that point if it saves him unnecessary physical pain from playing way past when his body was running on E. Players who go too long can end up in some pretty abject misery afterward.
Cry it depends if we take out the Warriors and easily handle the Cavs part of me would want Tim to get 7, ending the Kobe talk and starting the Jordan talk, lol. Not at the cost of his health and happiness but his diminished role seems to be something he can do for another year or two if he chose. Maybe coming off the bench like Manu. Eventually it would be funny to see all three of the big three spearheading the bench while Kiwi, LMA and Bobo leading the starters.

NameLess Scrub
01-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Having a big 3 bench help this team win a title would be just poetic, storybook stuff.

With that said, I hope they can at least win this year and Timmy and Manu retire at the same time.
That would make for a good chance they get inducted into the HOF the same year.

I'm starting to think about making the trip to watch that.