PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's last game in San Antonio

honestfool84
01-16-2016, 11:25 PM
I've been noticing a trend around the NBA, where teams and commentators commemorate Kobe's last away game in their city. For example, what happened the other night in Oakland when Kobe played his last game there.

Will the Spurs do something similar? Did they do anything along those lines with Michael Jordan back in 2003?

steeledl
01-16-2016, 11:29 PM
I hope so. He deserves it.

GSH
01-16-2016, 11:36 PM
The league is riding this Kobe Farewell Tour like a horse. Think about all the stories about Spurs vs Lakers during Kobe's career. That's almost worth a whole pre-game show by itself. It may be technically up to the Spurs, but I think you should count on some kind of ceremony.

itzsoweezee
01-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Fuck Kobe. He doesn't deserve shit from the spurs.

gambit1990
01-16-2016, 11:42 PM
fuck kobe.

Spurtacular
01-16-2016, 11:45 PM
I've been noticing a trend around the NBA, where teams and commentators commemorate Kobe's last away game in their city. For example, what happened the other night in Oakland when Kobe played his last game there.

Will the Spurs do something similar? Did they do anything along those lines with Michael Jordan back in 2003?

If I remember right, MJ either didn't announce he was retiring, or he announced his retirement pretty late.

cjw
01-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Last trip to Denver is March 3rd. They should get him a trip to the spa in Eagle, CO.

Spurs should give him a chance to go up against a 44 year old Bruce Bowen and see if he can break 50% from the field.

ajh18
01-16-2016, 11:47 PM
I don't recall a tribute for Shaq, Malone, Hakeem, or any of the other great Spurs' "villains" who were all-time greats. And I doubt LA does anything for Tim, even if they knew when he was retiring. Why would we do something for Kobe?

Splits
01-16-2016, 11:51 PM
The Spurs will do something similar to what other teams are doing to the Lakers, and that is put a wicked beatdown on them and embarrass that faggot-ass franchise and their shitty lottery picks.

Budkin
01-16-2016, 11:51 PM
Remember in 2001 when Kobe pretty much tore us up singlehandedly and make us look like complete chumps? That shit was nuts.

Uriel
01-16-2016, 11:55 PM
The Spurs will do something similar to what other teams are doing to the Lakers, and that is put a wicked beatdown on them and embarrass that faggot-ass franchise and their shitty lottery picks.
HAM :lol

Chris
01-17-2016, 12:00 AM
Interested to hear what Sean has to say aboot it at gamenight. He and I share the same visceral hatred for Los Angeles.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Hopefully nothing, the catering to this attention whore needs to stop

Kawhitstorm
01-17-2016, 12:12 AM
Tim will hand him an "L" & send him home packing. Maybe a facial from Kawhi...:lol

LoneStarState'sPride
01-17-2016, 12:15 AM

This. Can't wait to boo his ass out of town for the last time.

Fuck is farewell tour bullshit.

steeledl
01-17-2016, 12:17 AM
Remember in 2001 when Kobe pretty much tore us up singlehandedly and make us look like complete chumps? That shit was nuts.

That shit was frustrating as fuck.

jag
01-17-2016, 12:18 AM
Who gives a shit. Just play the game and if at some point players want to give him dap and say farewell then so be it.

The only people in SA who care about his farewell tour are fat Mexican bandwagon laker fans who've never been to Cali and bought a jersey because that's what cholos do.

gambit1990
01-17-2016, 12:20 AM
wouldn't put it past the spurs to have a highlight reel with some cheesy ass song they think people really like. like that "you're simply the best" song :lol

Sean Cagney
01-17-2016, 12:23 AM

Most embarassing series as a fan I ever witnessed on a big stage TBH. That was not even close.

100%duncan
01-17-2016, 01:10 AM
Fuck him

james evans
01-17-2016, 01:11 AM

wingster
01-17-2016, 01:11 AM
If I remember right, MJ either didn't announce he was retiring, or he announced his retirement pretty late.
It was at least known by All-Star.

As for Kobe...can see it happening either way and neither bothers me.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2016, 01:13 AM
Didn't MJ miss his final game in SA due to injury?

TheDoctor
01-17-2016, 01:17 AM
They will do some commemorative shit. I believe Spurs tweeted before their 1st game in SA back in December, that they won't be doing any "celebration" or whatever that game because it wasn't Kobe's last game at SA.

Kawhitstorm
01-17-2016, 01:19 AM
They will do some commemorative shit. I believe Spurs tweeted before their 1st game in SA back in December, that they won't be doing any "celebration" or whatever that game because it wasn't Kobe's last game at SA.

They will show the clip of him & Fisher crying:cry

ajh18
01-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Most embarassing series as a fan I ever witnessed on a big stage TBH. That was not even close.

2003 made up for it though... watching Shaq trying to guard Tim and getting destroyed, watching Kobe and Fisher crying on the bench, ending the 3-peat. Good stuff.

tmtcsc
01-17-2016, 01:39 AM
If you want to pay your respects to Kobe, don't cheer him. Don't chant "Kobe", "Kobe" over & over. No, if you want to give him a unique San Antonio send off that he will remember forever, then Boo him mercilessly. Follow it up by chanting "Beat LA, Beat LA". If Spurs fans do that, I guarantee you he will feel relevant again and it will bring back memories of a better time in his career. I think he'll realize the gesture is a sign of respect for a competitor. No matter what you think of him as a person, he was a hell of a player and a great villain to our Spurs.

BatManu20
01-17-2016, 01:40 AM
Didn't MJ miss his final game in SA due to injury?

Nope he played. Was at that game. Spurs won. Jordan received a standing O of course.

tmtcsc
01-17-2016, 01:44 AM
If I recall correctly, the Spurs gave Karl Malone a brand new Motorola Razor cell phone with a Spurs logo on it. He was so touched, he said he would use it forever. True to his word, here's a recent pic:

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/d8/57/karl-malone-flip-phone-ftr-jpg_av7fht9pghys1m00bs995gg7o.jpg?t=183033752

BatManu20
01-17-2016, 01:45 AM
Spurs will definitely give him something. Probably a lame gift like Spurs boots. And he'll get a long applause bc there'll be so many lakers fans there, unfortunately.

BatManu20
01-17-2016, 01:47 AM
If I recall correctly, the Spurs gave Karl Malone a brand new Motorola Razor cell phone with a Spurs logo on it. He was so touched, he said he would use it forever. True to his word, here's a recent pic:

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/d8/57/karl-malone-flip-phone-ftr-jpg_av7fht9pghys1m00bs995gg7o.jpg?t=183033752

After his dirty elbow that knocked out D-Rob, Spurs should've had Shawn Michaels come out of the stands and give him a little Sweet Chin Music, tbh.

itzsoweezee
01-17-2016, 01:48 AM
2003 made up for it though... watching Shaq trying to guard Tim and getting destroyed, watching Kobe and Fisher crying on the bench, ending the 3-peat. Good stuff.

Hell yes. Spurs ended their run in the most satisfying way possible.

lilbthebasedgod
01-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Sad tbh. Wish I could be there

Spurtacular
01-17-2016, 01:54 AM
Doesn't matter what ST says; the Spurs will have some sort of ceremony or commemorative happening.

UZER
01-17-2016, 02:05 AM
And pop will give him one of those awkward long old man molesting hugs and touches he likes to give to opponents.

DenialTwist
01-17-2016, 02:46 AM
Did you see how the Warriors gave a farewell gift to Kobe, which included a 5-day Napa Valley vacation and a 5L bottle of wine. I wonder what the spurs will give him?

TheMulletMan3000
01-17-2016, 03:08 AM

Old School 44
01-17-2016, 03:17 AM
Did you see how the Warriors gave a farewell gift to Kobe, which included a 5-day Napa Valley vacation and a 5L bottle of wine. I wonder what the spurs will give him?
Yeah, but his Dad (Jerry West) is a executive consultant with the Warriors.

Russo21
01-17-2016, 03:23 AM
And as the Kobe farewell circus goes on and on this could quite possibly be the great Tim Duncan's last season, hopefully not as he is still too damn good and just his presence makes the team better. Tim won't announce his retirement early on like Kobe though and lap up all the attention all season long. He is too focused on STILL being one of the best big men in the NBA on a championship contending team.

Fuck Kobe, why celebrate an immensely talented ball hogging narcissistic, egotistic shit team mate who has been on shit teams half his career when Shaq and Pau didn't have his back. Why celebrate a guy who was on a team that possibly took a chip away from us (04)? The season long love fest is a bullshit circus like distraction when other fan bases have booed the shit out of him every time he played an away game during his career.

iManu
01-17-2016, 05:24 AM
Fuck Kirby.

Texas_Ranger
01-17-2016, 10:10 AM
he will get something, which is stupid. Get your presents from your fucking team and fuck off already.

Seventyniner
01-17-2016, 10:25 AM
If I had won the Powerball I would have seriously bought as many possible tickets to that game and leave them unused. Then offer to buy everyone else's ticket for $1000+ each and leave those unused. Make Kobe's last game in SA be in front of an almost-empty arena.

jag
01-17-2016, 10:44 AM
If I had won the Powerball I would have seriously bought as many possible tickets to that game and leave them unused. Then offer to buy everyone else's ticket for $1000+ each and leave those unused. Make Kobe's last game in SA be in front of an almost-empty arena.

:lol

MultiTroll
01-17-2016, 11:05 AM
ST with the goods. :toast

And this one is great!

BillMc
01-17-2016, 11:05 AM
:toast

boutons_deux
01-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Sure, the rapist is an talented asshole, but SA isn't assholy, so yeah, give him some love. It won't hurt for long.

bigfan
01-17-2016, 11:22 AM
a round of applause then fuck it, on with the game. a real man just retires and moves on and doesn't expect a lot of horseshit to go on for a year of self congratulatory bullshit.

InRareForm
01-17-2016, 11:27 AM
They should move the game to Alamodome since Kobe said that was one of his favorite places to play. actually nevermind, he might have an out of body experience and drop 50 on us .

Sean Cagney
01-17-2016, 03:21 PM

Oh yeah that made 2003 that much more sweet IMO. I agree. That was a classic, probably my fave series ever.

To finally get over that hump after the two years of them beating the Spurs and end that asterisk crap was so damn great. I remember how hyped I was that night yelling and screaming to be honest.

Dunc n Dave
01-17-2016, 05:35 PM
Didn't the Spurs give Kareem a painting of himself skyhooking as a farewell gift during his last game at Hemisphere Arena? I remember one team also giving him a motorcycle that year (88/89 season).

itzsoweezee
01-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Didn't the Spurs give Kareem a painting of himself skyhooking as a farewell gift during his last game at Hemisphere Arena? I remember one team also giving him a motorcycle that year (88/89 season).

Yeah. I remember some team giving him a boat. But I could be off on that. I was pretty young at the time.

.G.
01-17-2016, 05:47 PM
K:crybe

.G.
01-17-2016, 05:53 PM

:lmao

MVPCues
01-17-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm sure the Spurs will do a little something because that is what kind of organization they are. But, they won't go overboard with it.

Personally, I'm with the "Fuck" and "you" crowd.

Malice
01-17-2016, 06:14 PM

What do the kids say now? SAVAGE?

SpurPadre
01-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Here's how it should be commemorated:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/8-25-2014/fWx327.gif

Splits
01-17-2016, 06:34 PM
What do the kids say now? SAVAGE?

When Kobe plays? They point and say LOL

Raven
01-17-2016, 06:38 PM
I don't recall a tribute for Shaq, Malone, Hakeem, or any of the other great Spurs' "villains" who were all-time greats. And I doubt LA does anything for Tim, even if they knew when he was retiring. Why would we do something for Kobe?
well, because there is nothing great about kirby and we'll miss his bricks for entertainment value

EVAY
01-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Last trip to Denver is March 3rd. They should get him a trip to the spa in Eagle, CO.

Spurs should give him a chance to go up against a 44 year old Bruce Bowen and see if he can break 50% from the field.

Hey, you mean the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera? LOVE the place. Used to live half the year near there. I assume you are referring to where Kobe stayed when he (allegedly) raped the girl working at the hotel.

The Lodge almost never lived down the reputation of being "that place", and the local populace was 100% behind the young girl. I think she ended up having to move out of state to avoid the paparazzi. Tragic for her, over and over. I know it was likely naive in the extreme for a young woman to imagine that a guy like Kobe would believe her when she said 'stop' after making out, but still, you have to just feel for her tragedy.

My husband and I just felt so sorry for her.

CosmicCowboy
01-17-2016, 07:08 PM
They will show the clip of him & Fisher crying:cry

please, please, please Spurs. Just DO IT!

ElNono
01-17-2016, 07:25 PM
wasn't it like 2 seasons ago?

cjw
01-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Hey, you mean the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera? LOVE the place. Used to live half the year near there. I assume you are referring to where Kobe stayed when he (allegedly) raped the girl working at the hotel.

The Lodge almost never lived down the reputation of being "that place", and the local populace was 100% behind the young girl. I think she ended up having to move out of state to avoid the paparazzi. Tragic for her, over and over. I know it was likely naive in the extreme for a young woman to imagine that a guy like Kobe would believe her when she said 'stop' after making out, but still, you have to just feel for her tragedy.

My husband and I just felt so sorry for her.

Looks like a nice spot. Have yet to go out west for skiing, but might have to this year given how the weather's been out east.

And on the story with the girl, that kind of stuff probably goes down way more often than made public but there's hush money and threat of publicity.

Sec24Row7
01-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Teams with nothing to celebrate honor great players from other teams with "stuff".

If you are a 76er fan you look forward to seeing The kobes play your "Washington generals".

Fuck him. Give him. Groupon to Taco Cabana and an "L".

EVAY
01-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Looks like a nice spot. Have yet to go out west for skiing, but might have to this year given how the weather's been out east.

And on the story with the girl, that kind of stuff probably goes down way more often than made public but there's hush money and threat of publicity.

You are likely very right.

itzsoweezee
01-24-2016, 03:19 AM
Portland hosted the Lakers for the last time this season tonight and I'm pretty sure they didn't do shit to commemorate Kobe.

Let's hope San Antonio follow the blazers lead.

will_spurs
01-24-2016, 03:54 AM

Carter gave him his starter spot in the 2003 ASG so he didn't announce it that late...

noles1983
01-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Spurs will give Kirby a free ticket to ride the river boat, and a free meal at Mi Tierra's.

honestfool84
02-06-2016, 09:22 PM
I missed it, but it sounds like the Spurs gave Kobe some sort of two minute tribute video?

Old School 44
02-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Love him, hate him, the Spurs did it right. Kobe also has showed tremendous respect to Pop and the Spurs. This just adds to the reputation of the Spurs as the class of the NBA.

With all that nostalgic/nice stuff said between Kobe/Spurs, I wonder if Garnett made the same retirement announcement how would he be treated in his final game in San Antonio?

Harry Callahan
02-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Love him, hate him, the Spurs did it right. Kobe also has showed tremendous respect to Pop and the Spurs. This just adds to the reputation of the Spurs as the class of the NBA.

With all that nostalgic/nice stuff said between Kobe/Spurs, I wonder if Garnett made the same retirement announcement how would he be treated in his final game in San Antonio?

Garnett would not get the same treatment - he was a loser and a coattail rider. Still, too much blue and gold out there for my taste last night.

Did the Lakers do anything for David Robinson in his last season? He announced his retirement before the season......it's been so long ago I don't remember.

Horse
02-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Funny how everyone is pretending he wasn't a piece of shit his whole career. Now he laughs and yucks it up with refs after every call. Once and for all Fuck kobe!

MultiTroll
02-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Funny how everyone is pretending he wasn't a piece of shit his whole career. Now he laughs and yucks it up with refs after every call. Once and for all Fuck kobe!