PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Will the East have a second title contender any time soon?

spursistan
01-19-2016, 03:38 PM
It is annoying how a declined Lebron's team is going to cakewalk again to the Finals while you wouldn't even be sure they are favorite against the second tier West teams (Clippers/Thunder) let alone GSW/SA..

So much for "Improved East"..it is basically an improvement in the middling/pretender tiers..And those teams wouldn't give Lebron's team as much fits as those 2012-2014 Pacers did..

Unless Durant signs with Wizards or Miami, I don't see this pathetic reality changing any time soon.

AlexJones
01-19-2016, 03:45 PM
The East doesn't have one title contender.

spursistan
01-19-2016, 03:48 PM
From up-and-coming teams Boston/Orlando are best positioned to reach that level, but, as of now, that's no guarantee as they lack in star-power..

SpursFan86
01-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Yeah I find the "East is now just as good as the West!" rhetoric to be pretty hilarious. 4 of the top 5 teams in the league are in the West, including the two clear-cut best teams in the league. Even the 5-8 seeds in the West are as good (if not better) as their Eastern counterparts.

As for the question in the title...who knows. None of those teams (Atlanta/Toronto/Miami/Chicago/Indiana) really have a plethora of young talent that is likely to improve. It'll likely come down to one of them landing a big name FA, or maybe a team like Boston/Detroit getting a lot of internal improvement + getting lucky in the draft.

Cry Havoc
01-19-2016, 04:03 PM
I feel like the Pacers and Bulls are probably the closest, they have a guy who can overpower other teams and play relatively decent defense in stretches. Boston could be there but they need a superstar.

It seems like they're not just one but two players away, plus a decent bench.

So, in short... no. Barring some kind of earth-shaking trade from a team looking to dump salary, the East is years away from a champion.

Kawhitstorm
01-19-2016, 04:14 PM
The current Leastern Conference reminds me of the 2006-07 season when the Pistons became pretender after Ben Wallace left town & it was a free for all to the point that I thought the Raptors could come out of the East.:lol

Wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy Butler went beast-mode & carried the Bulls to the Finals as long as Rose/Pau can play their roles.

Kawhitstorm
01-19-2016, 04:16 PM
I feel like the Pacers and Bulls are probably the closest, they have a guy who can overpower other teams and play relatively decent defense in stretches. Boston could be there but they need a superstar.

It seems like they're not just one but two players away, plus a decent bench.

So, in short... no. Barring some kind of earth-shaking trade from a team looking to dump salary, the East is years away from a champion.

Pacers have no inside presence & are terrible in crunch-time (turnovers/isolation):lol. If the Hawks could get it together, it might have been their best chance but the Korver counter is broken.:lol

The Raptors are the most complete team but they have been playoff chokers so can't trust 'em.:lol

RD2191
01-19-2016, 04:23 PM

timtonymanu
01-19-2016, 04:27 PM

spursistan
01-19-2016, 04:28 PM
The current Leastern Conference reminds me of the 2006-07 season when the Pistons became pretender after Ben Wallace left town & it was a free for all to the point that I thought the Raptors could come out of the East.:lol

Wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy Butler went beast-mode & carried the Bulls to the Finals as long as Rose/Pau can play their roles.

Similarly, one team will need to pull a ballsy move like Celtics with Garnett-type trade..maybe the the very same Boston...the window to make the Finals is bigger than when the Heatles ruled because this Cavs team is evidently much worse..

Cry Havoc
01-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Pacers have no inside presence & are terrible in crunch-time (turnovers/isolation):lol. If the Hawks could get it together, it might have been their best chance but the Korver counter is broken.:lol

The Raptors are the most complete team but they have been playoff chokers so can't trust 'em.:lol

Well, I did say "no". So I agree with you. It would take a massive player acquisition to get the Bulls and Pacers to that point. Bulls need to blow it up while Pau has some value and rebuild 100% around Jimmy Butler. You might even get the Lakers to take Rose for a player + picks. :lol

I don't see the Raptors ever getting it together. They're far too dependent upon isoball and don't have a lot of great passers OR defenders to build around. They would have probably been a great team in the 90s, though.

Cry Havoc
01-19-2016, 04:59 PM

Butler could definitely do that but it wouldn't make the Bulls a contender, unless you count a best case scenario of pushing the Finals to 5 games while losing the other 4 by 15+ with a couple of 30 point blowouts "contending".

HarlemHeat37
01-19-2016, 05:27 PM

+1

This isn't really anything new, OP:lol..

spursistan
01-19-2016, 05:33 PM
+1

This isn't really anything new, OP:lol..
Cavs are one, even if flawed..I'm not going to see them only through one game blowout..But safe to admit, they are worse than all 4 Heatles that made finals consecutively.. .. you never know, maybe Curry shin/ankles or Tony hip acts up in June..

DPG21920
01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Cavs are one, even if flawed..I'm not going to see them only through one game blowout..But safe to admit, they are worse than all 4 Heatles that made finals consecutively.. .. you never know, maybe Curry shin/ankles or Tony hip acts up in June..

Absolutely- Heat were amazing and Bosh>>Love. Esp in "that role". Wade is amazing too (body betrayed him).

HarlemHeat37
01-19-2016, 05:41 PM

They are a contender, by default, of course..they could also beat OKC in a series, too, since Lebron teams always seem to match up well vs. the Thunder..I don't think they have any chance vs. the Warriors or Spurs, though..

I'd go:

Elite-
1. Warriors
2. Spurs

Great-
3. Thunder
4. healthy Clippers
5. Cavs

Above average(in whatever order): Raptors, Bulls, Hawks, Pacers, Celtics
Average(in whatever order): Jazz, Pistons, Hornets, Heat, Mavs, Magic, Rockets

DPG21920
01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
I definitely think Cavs would best OKC & LAC. LAC is coming on but they have the same issues as last year.

Killakobe81
01-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Cavs bet defensive lineups means their best offensive players will sit ... and even their best defenders cannot contain SAS or GSW. Kiwi Green and even Duncan all being plus defenders is a huge advantage for Spurs. Bogut, barnes, green and Klay are not all plus but hold their own ...

Just dont see how Cavs can beat either team.It would take prime LeBron and i think those days are gone. he is not washed up or dead man walking. he is now just a great player still top 3 and probably top 2 like Harlem said.

Robz4000
01-19-2016, 06:41 PM

100%duncan
01-19-2016, 07:58 PM

Arcadian
01-19-2016, 08:23 PM
It appeared that the east had finally caught up early in the season...but I don't think anybody still believes that anymore.

benefactor
01-19-2016, 08:29 PM

resistanze
01-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Cleveland has a pass to the finals. They're a contender by default.

The West has 2 contenders. All the West/East teams are for show.

Sybok
01-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Cavs remind me of the 2011 Heat. They are feast or famine. James has gotten into the mindset that he's the go-to every trip down the floor when he's in the game, and it seems the other players are willing to let him fall flat on his fucking face. It's amazing they play that Samsung VR commercial as he's getting his shit pushed in while in the "land". Maybe if he puts those on he's on a team with great ball movement, spacing and energy on defense. Instead he's on a broken team with a shitty coach who rely almost solely on individual talent over anything remotely resembling team basketball.

Honestly, other than that play out of the timeout, I doubt they ran a set all night. It was just pointless ball handoffs and Lebron backing up a couple steps and trying to take his man off the dribble, giving up on it and turning it over or shooting that long ass fade away that barely even catches iron.

They'd be wise to call Kyrie's number more often, to get some ball movement, to run some sets instead of that watery shit they took all over their own home court last night.

spursistan
01-21-2016, 12:46 AM
serial playoff chokers Raptors are emerging as the second best team in the East :lol

Kawhitstorm
01-21-2016, 01:14 AM
No, it's as shitty as 2007. Whoever comes out will get swept.:wakeup

TDfan2007
01-21-2016, 01:33 AM

spursistan
01-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Some team out East need to make a major move..Cavs have implosion potential and Lebron reign there could have an ugly end..

It is basically Boston-type situation when they took a swing with KG trade as the Pistons team started to unravel as an Eastern force..The Finals window was pretty open in those years before the Heatles team assembled..

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Some team out East need to make a major move..Cavs have implosion potential and Lebron reign there could have an ugly end..

It is basically Boston-type situation when they took a swing with KG trade as the Pistons team started to unravel as an Eastern force..The Finals window was pretty open in those years before the Heatles team assembled..
Cavs are good enough to win the least but will get pulverized in the Finals by any top Western team not named OKC

spursistan
01-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Cavs are good enough to win the least but will get pulverized in the Finals by any top Western team not named OKC
Yes, but i'm thinking about the general East landscape..This Cavs team is certainly not as good as the Heat teams that monopolized the Finals berth..Maybe not this year, but next, Chicago/Boston/Pistons etc got to look for ways to upgrade or fast track their rebuilding...The opportunity is there..

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Yes, but i'm thinking about the general East landscape..This Cavs team is certainly not as good as the Heat teams that monopolized the Finals berth..Maybe not this year, but next, Chicago/Boston/Pistons etc got to look for ways to upgrade or fast track their rebuilding...The opportunity is there..
Lebron will be a free agent again in 2016.

spursistan
05-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Fuckin' pathetic Lebron having annual bye to the Finals ..smh

Kawhitstorm
05-27-2016, 10:27 PM
If Vogel gets his hands on Biyombo then the Magic are once again going to crush Believeland's dream.:lol

DMC
05-27-2016, 10:35 PM
If Lebron goes to another Eastern team, sure.

Caltex2
05-28-2016, 01:06 AM
But that would mean the east would still have one title contender. :wakeup

Caltex2
05-28-2016, 01:14 AM
Well, I did say "no". So I agree with you. It would take a massive player acquisition to get the Bulls and Pacers to that point. Bulls need to blow it up while Pau has some value and rebuild 100% around Jimmy Butler. You might even get the Lakers to take Rose for a player + picks. :lol

I don't see the Raptors ever getting it together. They're far too dependent upon isoball and don't have a lot of great passers OR defenders to build around. They would have probably been a great team in the 90s, though.

I know this post is months old but the Raptors are like one of Lenny Wilkins' old teams. You knew they'd be good but not a serious title contender no matter how many games they won and how high their seeding was.

AlexJones
05-28-2016, 02:16 AM

Based Bron firing Blatt, turning them into one

Obstructed_View
05-28-2016, 02:38 AM
The only reason the east has one title contender is because they split the playoffs up that way.

Cry Havoc
05-28-2016, 04:00 AM
I know this post is months old but the Raptors are like one of Lenny Wilkins' old teams. You knew they'd be good but not a serious title contender no matter how many games they won and how high their seeding was.

Yep. They're a team full of decent to good players, but they're playing 1996 basketball in 2016. It's amazing they took two games off the Cavs. Shows how terrible the East is that they got to the CF. They would be the 8th best team in the West at BEST if everyone was healthy.

florige
05-28-2016, 08:16 AM
It was set-up to have it be Bulls-Cavs for years to come. Nobody knew that D-Rose would have body parts made of glass.

Caltex2
05-28-2016, 02:10 PM
The only reason the east has one title contender is because they split the playoffs up that way.

Imagine if the NBA had an American and National setup like the NFL and MLB. The playoffs might be wholly entertaining every once in a while.

Buddy Mignon
05-28-2016, 04:40 PM
It is annoying how a declined Lebron's team is going to cakewalk again to the Finals while you wouldn't even be sure they are favorite against the second tier West teams (Clippers/Thunder) let alone GSW/SA..

So much for "Improved East"..it is basically an improvement in the middling/pretender tiers..And those teams wouldn't give Lebron's team as much fits as those 2012-2014 Pacers did..

Unless Durant signs with Wizards or Miami, I don't see this pathetic reality changing any time soon.

You are one big fat faggot. I'm glad you're feelings are still hurt.