PDA

View Full Version : Could Boban play Duncan's role next year if Duncan retired?

raybies
01-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Could we be as successful?

Now this is assuming Boban can play at the same level he does now against starting centers. Same minutes Duncan plays now, but doesn't finish games. Maybe more the Splitter role actually.

How much slower is he than Duncan?
Could he be dominant?

Just looking at the options for next year, could we afford someone else? Any ideas?

I'm a forward thinker sorry, but it's a slow day. Just wanted to know people's thoughts on the subject.

DPG21920
01-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Spurs are going to suffer mightily, especially on defense when Tim is gone. Tim is still grading out as a top flight defender eve with his flaws (unable to defend perimeter any more)

BillMc
01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
I think Boban's sample size is too small for us to know. He has offensive potential based on his size, nice touch and what looks like a good basketball IQ. There's no way he's going to match Timmy's defense (still among the best in the league) but he could be a passable replacement if Timmy retires. Likely some of his time goes to West (if David stays).

What's still amazing is how damn good Tim is (especially on D) at 39. Hope he never retires.

kaji157
01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Could we be as successful?

Now this is assuming Boban can play at the same level he does now against starting centers. Same minutes Duncan plays now, but doesn't finish games. Maybe more the Splitter role actually.

How much slower is he than Duncan?
Could he be dominant?

Just looking at the options for next year, could we afford someone else? Any ideas?

I'm a forward thinker sorry, but it's a slow day. Just wanted to know people's thoughts on the subject.

I donīt know, Duncan might be the best positional defender big the league ever seen. Thatīs something.

For sure Boban could replace something, but not entirely what Tim brings to the table.

Clearly, this Team will still be good without Ginobili and Duncan, a starting lineup of Parker-Green-Leonard-Aldridge-Boban and a bench like Mills-Simmons-Anderson-West-Diaw is still scary. Just not the same.

HarlemHeat37
01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Duncan is having an elite defensive season, it would be hard to envision Boban even approaching that, tbh..

I know everybody is all over Boban and Simmons, but we have barely even seen them play against opposing starters for long stretches or serious games, so far..playing short stretches vs. starters is entirely different than playing real minutes vs. opposing starters and teams that understand your tendencies and strengths/weaknesses..

A lot of players in this league have had great stretches where they catch teams "by surprise"..

raybies
01-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Yeah, denfensively we would definitely suffer. Duncan's ability to not foul and his timing are eLite. I think that and his positioning are what makes him so good at that end. Boban is not really known for his defense just his length really but I think with more experience he could be passable.

Do y'all think it would be like dejuan Blair era bad defense with him or better?

I think offensively, we could be really dominant against most matchups.

Reason I say boban starting and not west is because it is known that Aldridge doesn't want to play center, but do you think that could change in a year?

letmk
01-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Duncan is having an elite defensive season, it would be hard to envision Boban even approaching that, tbh..

I know everybody is all over Boban and Simmons, but we have barely even seen them play against opposing starters for long stretches or serious games, so far..playing short stretches vs. starters is entirely different than playing real minutes vs. opposing starters and teams that understand your tendencies and strengths/weaknesses..

A lot of players in this league have had great stretches where they catch teams "by surprise"..

Simmons has played some meaningful minutes, but Boban has barely played any meaningful minutes. So far what he does in mostly garbage time shows some promises, but it's too much stretch to even think about him replacing Tim, who still leads DRPM and defensive rating for the whole NBA.

BatManu20
01-19-2016, 06:23 PM
If Duncan retires after this season, we better hope R.C. can work some magic and convince Al Horford to sign here or trade for Marc Gasol or something, or our team will drop considerably. As people above are mentioning, even with how immobile and un-athletic Duncan looks at times, he's still a great rim protector and the anchor of our D.

raybies
01-19-2016, 06:25 PM
If Duncan retires after this season, we better hope R.C. can work some magic and convince Al Horford to sign here or trade for Marc Gasol or something, or our team will drop considerably. As people above are mentioning, even with how immobile and un-athletic Duncan looks at times, he's still a great rim protector and the anchor of our D.

Al Horford is who I want too. How could we possibly afford him? Magic indeed. We could trade Danny lol

raybies
01-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Boban joining the blitz at 6pm tonight. 1250am

bigfan
01-19-2016, 06:38 PM
bad joke of a post. Boban is an interesting 3rd option at best.

SAGirl
01-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Boban has potential. He can replace some if what Timmy does since TIm hasn't been good outside of the paint in a long time. The system and Kawhi mask those flaws to a large degree. Obviously Tim didn't start out that slow, he's adapted and has experience knowing guys tendencies and he has impeccable timing. Boban doesn't have that experience and we don't know whether he will learn to detect tendencies, recognize situations and anticipate well enough. It remains to be seen, but he has potential bc of his length and when he is in position he's able to really contest because of his size. He will get a raise that will require him to be in the rotation. You can't overpay a big to keep him as your 5th option and I think Boban, like Anderson, is not really getting much time right now bc we are a deep team, nit because he can't play. He's depositing his dues this year. He should have a larger role next season.

As for Lamarcus, he's been great as our starting PF, but I am not convinced he could anchor our defense as a C like Timmy has. He has not done that earlier in his career and may not have the timing and instincts Timmy has either. Who do you slot next to him? D.West? Pop doesn't have him defending in the perimeter as a 4 for a reason. D.West has slowed down. He's played most of the time as a 5. I suppose it could work, but it will not be our best defensive lineup.

I think Boban/LMA has potential. We will not be the same quality team. We will still be a good team, but there will be growing pains for guys in new roles.

SnakeBoy
01-19-2016, 07:17 PM
No

tonight...you
01-19-2016, 07:50 PM
bad joke of a post. Boban is an interesting 3rd option at best.
True... True.

spurraider21
01-19-2016, 07:55 PM
:lol

tonight...you
01-19-2016, 07:58 PM
:lol
It really is like asking if Salieri can take over for Mozart when he decides to go off the ranch for good.
Sure Sally. You go do dis...

SAGirl
01-19-2016, 08:00 PM
It's a legit question. What is not legit is assuming Timmy is staying put. Someone is going to have to take up the role and it is legit to wonder how much Boban or someone else will be able to provide.

spurraider21
01-19-2016, 08:15 PM
It really is like asking if Salieri can take over for Mozart when he decides to go off the ranch for good.
Sure Sally. You go do dis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-eazu7FQEg

Arcadian
01-19-2016, 08:24 PM
From garbage time to team captain? Unlikely.

dabom
01-19-2016, 08:36 PM
No man. He plays really good. He just doesn't have the durability to play that many minutes without breaking down during the season. He is too big and too tall.

raybies
01-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Duncan's role is off cause he's Duncan of course. Meant mainly minutes. But I think splitters minutes would be more accurate. Wasn't it like 20-25 mpg? You don't think he could start and play 20 mins? Anybody remember splitters rotations?

SAGirl
01-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Duncan's role is off cause he's Duncan of course. Meant mainly minutes. But I think splitters minutes would be more accurate. Wasn't it like 20-25 mpg? You don't think he could start and play 20 mins? Anybody remember splitters rotations?
I think he could do 20 minutes. He's currently doing 15 at times.

Sybok
01-19-2016, 09:11 PM
There's a huge difference between blocking a shot and defending the rim. Tim defends the rim better than anyone I've ever seen, and that has to include help defense and rotations. Boban could block shots, no doubt, but he's been playing ball long enough to have established himself as an elite defender and he hasn't.

Uriel
01-19-2016, 09:19 PM
No. Duncan is a defensive juggernaut while Boban is an offensive beast. They're totally different players.

dabom
01-19-2016, 09:19 PM
There's a huge difference between blocking a shot and defending the rim. Tim defends the rim better than anyone I've ever seen, and that has to include help defense and rotations. Boban could block shots, no doubt, but he's been playing ball long enough to have established himself as an elite defender and he hasn't.

Boban is a defender in the NBA. What are you watching?

dabom
01-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Also Boban plays mostly with the second unit garbage time and works on offense. I'm sure he could play even better defense than he is now if he played the Duncan role as it is right now. Just nothing but D with some occasional O.

Sybok
01-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Boban is a defender in the NBA. What are you watching?
It doesn't matter where he played before. He was never an elite defender. There's a lot more to defense than blocking shots. You can be out of position on every trip and still get blocked shots if you're that tall.

GSH
01-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Situational awareness. Duncan has seen everything. Even at his age, his experience keeps him in the right place on the floor. Boban can't get that in a year.

Now - is there someone else out there who approaches the court awareness and experience of Duncan? Debatable. But certainly no one that the Spurs will be able to get.

I don't know what they will do if Duncan retires, and it's looking more likely that he will. No slight to Boban, but I think they would be doing well if Boban is up to the level of first big off the bench.

Chinook
01-19-2016, 11:39 PM
It's a legit question. What is not legit is assuming Timmy is staying put. Someone is going to have to take up the role and it is legit to wonder how much Boban or someone else will be able to provide.

I mean, the answer is no, so in that regard, the title question isn't very legit. But it's obviously legitimate to speculate on how the Spurs will try to replace Tim, especially in light of their cap realities.

100%duncan
01-19-2016, 11:41 PM
lol no. and no he doesnt have the "potential".

:lol spurstalk

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 12:02 AM
I mean, the answer is no, so in that regard, the title question isn't very legit. But it's obviously legitimate to speculate on how the Spurs will try to replace Tim, especially in light of their cap realities.
So what is your take? I obviously think Boban has potential but he still makes too many mistakes. Maybe a bench role is warranted to begin with.
The reality is that unless you get a vet you will need to train someone and regardless of how lacking that someone is if Tim retires roles will have to be reshuffled.

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 12:08 AM
Situational awareness. Duncan has seen everything. Even at his age, his experience keeps him in the right place on the floor. Boban can't get that in a year.

Now - is there someone else out there who approaches the court awareness and experience of Duncan? Debatable. But certainly no one that the Spurs will be able to get.

I don't know what they will do if Duncan retires, and it's looking more likely that he will. No slight to Boban, but I think they would be doing well if Boban is up to the level of first big off the bench.
Well be up for a rough season next. I do think this one is it for Manu specially, nit sure Tim, but he's had his games where he's looked his age and once he hits 40 it gets worse. I think he could play, but I am not taking for granted that he will.

POP is trying to get Boban as much experience as he can while still keeping a winning record. We are all in on this season, but Pop has not abandoned development projects like Boban and Kyle. He's doing as much as possible to get them experience within the confines of the win now mode we are in.

raybies
01-20-2016, 12:12 AM
For the few people that gave their take thanks!

Also i ll be sure to carefully think about how I word the question next time.

From what little I've seen of him I think he can. Not a legit question ... Lol to some it is and those are the takes I'm interested in. Just saying no is so easy. Fact is Duncan is gonna be retiring sooner rather than later and we have little money and very few options. Boban has a year in the system, if he's resigned he'll have his opportunity for those minutes if we don't get lucky again and sign a quality free agent and if Aldridge stays consistent on his stance on not being a center.

steeledl
01-20-2016, 12:26 AM
He could play .... But not nearly as well. Duncan is a defensive anchor and Boban is a defensive liability.

i like Boban fwiw..... You just can't replace what Duncan does on defense though. We'd have to win in different ways.also Boban would be in foul trouble perpetually.

dabom
01-20-2016, 12:28 AM
Some takes are straight garbage. :lmao

Aztecfan03
01-20-2016, 02:26 AM
I donīt know, Duncan might be the best positional defender big the league ever seen. Thatīs something.

For sure Boban could replace something, but not entirely what Tim brings to the table.

Clearly, this Team will still be good without Ginobili and Duncan, a starting lineup of Parker-Green-Leonard-Aldridge-Boban and a bench like Mills-Simmons-Anderson-West-Diaw is still scary. Just not the same.

It's such a shame he never won DPOY

Mnky
01-20-2016, 02:33 AM
Boban has a long way to go for that. He has been playing against teams free styling and no set ups or plays. Dallas, of course, was the only team who sent any type of game plan at him, by putting a stretch big for him to guard. That big got 3-4 wide open threes..and made his first two of the season. Boban also got a 3 second violation in the midst of it. Boban has potential, but he would get tore up in a game where coaches are preparing for him. He is still very inexperienced to NBA ball. He is coming along nicely for what he is.

dabom
01-20-2016, 02:41 AM
Boban has a long way to go for that. He has been playing against teams free styling and no set ups or plays. Dallas, of course, was the only team who sent any type of game plan at him, by putting a stretch big for him to guard. That big got 3-4 wide open threes..and made his first two of the season. Boban also got a 3 second violation in the midst of it. Boban has potential, but he would get tore up in a game where coaches are preparing for him. He is still very inexperienced to NBA ball. He is coming along nicely for what he is.

TBH Duncan and LMA get beat by some stretch 4s when they shoot 3s. It happens. The bigs usually stay close for the help rotation and sometimes they get caught by stretch 4s. You just have to make sure to take advantage of the size difference on the other end.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-20-2016, 02:54 AM
He can't. He's not a good defender and there's no point even mentioning Duncan's intangibles and leadership.

That said, the question is legit in the sense that if Duncan retires, the Spurs will have to make do with little money to work with and his replacement could very well come from within the team. Most likely Boris, or West if he re-signs, rather than Boban, but still, he could have a bigger role next season.

Still, I hope and believe Duncan and Manu both return for next season. With the Spurs having done the bulk of their roster management last summer, it'd be a joy watching every other team throwing stupid money at garbage players in the offseason.

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 02:57 AM
I agree with you. But he has more potential than Baynes for example who also looked worse when we got him.

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 03:05 AM
He can't. He's not a good defender and there's no point even mentioning Duncan's intangibles and leadership.

That said, the question is legit in the sense that if Duncan retires, the Spurs will have to make do with little money to work with and his replacement could very well come from within the team. Most likely Boris, or West if he re-signs, rather than Boban, but still, he could have a bigger role next season.

Still, I hope and believe Duncan and Manu both return for next season. With the Spurs having done the bulk of their roster management last summer, it'd be a joy watching every other team throwing stupid money at garbage players in the offseason.
I am in denial like you and the two seem like they could play another year, yet at the same time I have a nostalgic feeling that this is it. They are taking us thus far while training suitable replacements in Boban/Simmons/Anderson. Not saying they replace what we lose, but Kawhi/Tony/LMA will have to carry the largest burden aided by a cast of characters and among them we have these 3 and West hopefully.

If I am wrong it's another year for them to develop, but I kind of get the feeling this is it. Mostly from watching Pop being so diligent coaching Anderson and Boban. They are nit coached like your end of the bench scrubs. It's entirely subjective I will admit, but I detect a sense of urgency. Pop's and the vets care. I even see Ginobili giving instructions to Anderson and Tim and Boban are like master and apprentice. I also think at some point you have to put the fish in the tank and let them swim. You can teach someone how to swim, but until they go out and flap their body around they don't learn.... They are not going to say when it is the last time but this time, this year could be it.

SpursIndonesia
01-20-2016, 03:51 AM
Boban will not be able to adequately replace TD as defensive anchor, but our team focus might shift while still putting some emphasis on defense, it has to take account with who are the personnels in the roster. I think getting a cheap defensive big with enough experiece like Jeff Whitey will help remedy it to some degree, but really, replacing a GOAT level player won't be easy, even a TOSB version of it.

Chinook
01-20-2016, 07:11 AM
So what is your take? I obviously think Boban has potential but he still makes too many mistakes. Maybe a bench role is warranted to begin with.
The reality is that unless you get a vet you will need to train someone and regardless of how lacking that someone is if Tim retires roles will have to be reshuffled.

I don't think Boban will ever be the Spurs' defensive center. He's a guy who's big enough to block shots, but his game is slanted toward offense. In that way, he's closer to what Brook Lopez brings than Tim. That he has the mobility of a 27-year-old version of Old Tim makes him unideal to play more than 20 minutes in this league. I guess he could start, but the Spurs should do what they can to get a starting-caliber center anyway to fill the other minutes.

If Tim could hold out one more year, the Spurs would have the cap space to pursue a player like Ibaka, who isn't Tim on defense but who can protect the rim and guard the PnR better. With Serge and LMA, there would be a lot of rim protection, and both could play with Boban. As far as who that fourth big would be, I don't know. Would be nice if it were Boris, but he'd probably be cut to make the cap room necessary, and he could be too old anyway. Maybe LJC or Lalanne will have developed by then.

Splits
01-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Tim's not retiring and leaving $5m+ on the table with all the money he lost in the divorce and his investments

Texas_Ranger
01-20-2016, 08:19 AM
no one could play a Duncan role. NO ONE!

raybies
01-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Yeah I really think this is Tim's last year too. He's starting to show his age. I'm just thinking what if we win the title this year and Tim, manu, and west all retire...

I agree ideally David could start next to Aldridge next year, if we couldn't find an ideal replacement, and that's why I kind of hope Aldridge plays center for team USA.

I mean we'll still have kawhi if boban started and hopefully green playing like his normal self and our defensive schemes. I think we could really clog the paint and against teams with stretch bigs you could sub him early or at the beginning all together. We can still force mid range shots with him that are still more inaccurate than threes and layups. I don't think it would be number one but it would be respectable in the time he plays. Imo

ego
01-20-2016, 09:05 AM
NO

apalisoc_9
01-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Tough to replace tim tbh.

Rain Man
01-20-2016, 10:06 AM
How stupid is generic Spurfan that he thinks a center with a shelf life of 2-3 years tops can replace the greatest PF of all time? Geez what a stupid ass thread.

100%duncan
01-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Thinking a 27 yr old rook, who is slow as fuck can replace even a 40 yr old duncan's impact. It's laughable. Sorry, no. And again no, he doesn't have the potential. He is a 4th big at best and that isn't something to be ashamed of.

MVPCues
01-20-2016, 10:59 AM
No. In 2 or 3 more years after he has had more NBA experience... no.

bic50
01-20-2016, 11:00 AM
I really like Boban but no. This team will miss Duncans defense badly. Of course I hope I'm wrong though.

r0drig0lac
01-20-2016, 11:06 AM
no, I hope we can get Nerlens Noel

TrainOfThought5
01-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Linsanity being the perfect storm example.

TrainOfThought5
01-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Are you serious?

ironman2886
01-20-2016, 12:25 PM
No. Boban is a solid backup center against other low post players.

tenbeersbold
01-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Boban is too slow and too old to get used to the athleticism of the NBA,you see scrubs blow by and step around him all the time,replacing Tim...get outta here

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 02:36 PM
I don't think Boban will ever be the Spurs' defensive center. He's a guy who's big enough to block shots, but his game is slanted toward offense. In that way, he's closer to what Brook Lopez brings than Tim. That he has the mobility of a 27-year-old version of Old Tim makes him unideal to play more than 20 minutes in this league. I guess he could start, but the Spurs should do what they can to get a starting-caliber center anyway to fill the other minutes.

If Tim could hold out one more year, the Spurs would have the cap space to pursue a player like Ibaka, who isn't Tim on defense but who can protect the rim and guard the PnR better. With Serge and LMA, there would be a lot of rim protection, and both could play with Boban. As far as who that fourth big would be, I don't know. Would be nice if it were Boris, but he'd probably be cut to make the cap room necessary, and he could be too old anyway. Maybe LJC or Lalanne will have developed by then.

That is a good plan. Boban has the makings of a 6th man too bc he energizes the crowd and he can score or get fouled pretty easily. He would make a nice pair with Anderson who likes to throw him lobs anyways and seems to be on the road to be a dangerous jumpshooter. I still see Boris here next season. He's aged well and been very healthy the last few years. As Boris ages maybe Anderson will step into his role, but that is not necessary next season.

The situation for our bigs next season remains very fluid bc West is in that 1 yr contract, Tmmy could retire realistically, and Boban if we want him will need to be resigned. It will not make sense to pay Boban to keep him as the 5th big if everyone returns. Spurs have devoted a lot of effort to his development, which leads me to believe they want to keep him for a role. Either Timmy or West won't be here next season is my guess although right now, it's impossible to know.

JeffDuncan
01-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Hey, people, c'mon. Tim's retirement will not be such a big problem. There's not a thing to worry about.

We still have Bonner.

Dre_7
01-20-2016, 02:48 PM
I love me some Boban, but I do NOT want to see Timmy retire any time soon. He is still one of the best defenders in the league and can score when needed in big games.

r0drig0lac
01-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Are you serious?

yes, it will be a defensive beast, especially playing in San Antonio, will logically not substitur Tim, but if you want to replace Tim with only one player you can go into the tank, or hope KAT or Davis had a bastard child in San Antonio, to have a chance of one of them sign here

steeledl
01-20-2016, 08:32 PM
Ugh it's gonna be sad as fuck if he retires.... But at the same time I don't want him to play until he has nothing left like KG.

100%duncan
01-20-2016, 09:02 PM
Ugh it's gonna be sad as fuck if he retires.... But at the same time I don't want him to play until he has nothing left like KG.

Timmy and Manu gonna retire after 6th. We tank next season. Win 6 more championships after that.

Agloco
01-20-2016, 09:14 PM

Fo realz?

Splits
01-24-2016, 12:43 PM
If Duncan retires, Spurs will pickup Hibbert for peanuts in free agency and revitalize his career.

TD 21
01-24-2016, 05:41 PM

:tu

If Duncan's knees hold up well enough this season for him to feel he can play out his contract, Splitter will be the replacement.

xellos88330
01-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Boban looks like he could be much faster, but he cant move his feet fast enough to chop his steps effectively. I don't think he could be the defender Tim is/was. In the Spurs current system, he runs around setting screens the whole time. He very rarely gets the chance to post up opposing bigs.

So currently my answer is no. Boban cannot replace the role Duncan plays on this team.

If Boban ever gets quicker feet, his chances increase exponentially.

senorglory
01-24-2016, 07:02 PM
remember how awesome dejuan blair seemed... back before he had significant playing time, and all we had was potential to judge him on?

dabom
01-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Blair is garbage though.:lmao

senorglory
01-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Blair is garbage though.:lmao

that's my point.

Kawhitstorm
01-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Boban is life, he can't be replicated:wakeup

SAGirl
01-28-2016, 11:14 PM
I like Boban, but he's not there defensively at all. Still makes too many mistakes. I want him close to the paint, even if he gives up open jumpers. His teammates should be the ones picking up those shooters not him. He's still not aware of where to be. But there will be minutes coming up, at least what he gives up, he can get back on the other end. But he's not to the point where he can be a starter yet. Maybe a few minutes you can, before the opponent figures him out.

maverick1948
01-29-2016, 09:07 PM
With Timmy taking a break, Boban will get some time to prove his worth. Maybe he can give us more minutes over the next few games.

daledondale
01-29-2016, 09:21 PM
With Timmy taking a break, Boban will get some time to prove his worth. Maybe he can give us more minutes over the next few games.
He already did it. I'm waiting for playoffs.