PDA

View Full Version : Inside-Out vs Small Ball

spurs10
01-20-2016, 01:18 AM
How are we going to play it? It seems like common sense to not bend to another teams' will. Question is, can playing big hurt them enough? Obviously Boris will be a big help in playing small ball. Wonder how people see it.
:flag:

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 01:23 AM
How are we going to play it? It seems like common sense to not bend to another teams' will. Question is, can playing big hurt them enough? Obviously Boris will be a big help in playing small ball. Wonder how people see it.
:flag:
Inside out mostly, but not exclusively bc PnP between LMA and Tony is also very dangerous and more likely to get both LMA and Tony going. I see it kind of similar to the Cavs game and you feed the hot hand always.

spurs10
01-20-2016, 01:30 AM
Inside out mostly, but not exclusively bc PnP between LMA and Tony is also very dangerous and more likely to get both LMA and Tony going. I see it kind of similar to the Cavs game and you feed the hot hand always. Yeah that pick n pop with them is strong. :bobo

raybies
01-20-2016, 01:34 AM
Inside out. In their small ball lineup Diaw will have a field day and if they double him, threes will be raining down lol. Sure Parker will have his pnp and pnr but I think Boris dl will be the best bet. Anything more than that is purely maintenance imo

spurs10
01-20-2016, 01:52 AM
Inside out. In their small ball lineup Diaw will have a field day and if they double him, threes will be raining down lol. Sure Parker will have his pnp and pnr but I think Boris dl will be the best bet. Anything more than that is purely maintenance imo This is pretty much my thought...

Spurtacular
01-20-2016, 01:53 AM
The key to stopping the Warriors offense is high pressure at the top of the three point line. They like to just run double barrel sets and have the guy basically QB it to the developing options. It's usually Green; but sometimes they'll throw in Iggy and Livingston all three at the same time to make sure that they can have their QB of sorts at the ready. I'm shocked that teams haven't caught on. That's why Raymond's assists are so high. It's not that he's driving and making plays.

Mnky
01-20-2016, 02:06 AM
LMA was brought in for the warriors. He better show up.

spurs10
01-20-2016, 03:09 AM
The key to stopping the Warriors offense is high pressure at the top of the three point line. They like to just run double barrel sets and have the guy basically QB it to the developing options. It's usually Green; but sometimes they'll throw in Iggy and Livingston all three at the same time to make sure that they can have their QB of sorts at the ready. I'm shocked that teams haven't caught on. That's why Raymond's assists are so high. It's not that he's driving and making plays. I think they'll be getting that from us. The Cavs game was just ridiculous. I hope it made them feel like they can do no wrong.

Spurtacular
01-20-2016, 03:20 AM
LMA was brought in for the warriors. He better show up.

LMA was brought in b/c he was the top FA on the market, and he wanted to come.

Mnky
01-20-2016, 04:05 AM
LMA was brought in b/c he was the top FA on the market, and he wanted to come.

No.

ceperez
01-20-2016, 05:31 AM
Spurs offense works by reacting to the defense, by contrast Dubs offense doesn't care what the defense is.

The Spurs team that won #5 was playing against the best defense at the time and just blew away the opponent.

The best a defense can do is make the opponent take uncomfortable shots and force mistakes. Unfortunately an offense that is clicking just can't be stopped. The only way to win is to score more points.

So if Dubs play well and Spurs also play well, Dubs win.
However, if Dubs play bad and Spurs also play bad, Spurs win. (See Spurs beat down of Mavs)

Spurs will win if they bring in the nasty. (See Dubs loss to Pistons)

West on Green, that'll be key. Have Green focus on out toughing West instead on focusing on the game.

Horse
01-20-2016, 07:27 AM
I look at it like this, much like all those years against phoenix(and yes I know the warriors are much better than phoenix was) We play better small ball than they play big ball. Obviously no one plays better small than GS but we can play small at times I think with an aggressive LMA we will just kill them if they go big.

Spurtacular
01-20-2016, 01:34 PM
No.

Yes. There was no team in the league with cap room that was turning away LMA.

Kawhitstorm
01-20-2016, 01:45 PM
I think they'll be getting that from us. The Cavs game was just ridiculous. I hope it made them feel like they can do no wrong.

The Cavs had Mozgov (not sure why Tristan didn't start:downspin:) trying to hedge but he looked more like a traffic cone:lol & Love playing help defense but he had no clue what the offense was running:lol; to top it all it was Kyrie playing the initial defense on Curry.:lol

David Blatt::lmao

raybies
01-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Yah David blatt smh
They need someone like thibs. Better D with a coach Lebron would respect. Blatt gets so walked over its sad. But a thibs that won't be crazy with the minutes...

peacemaker885
01-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Spurs offense works by reacting to the defense, by contrast Dubs offense doesn't care what the defense is.

The Spurs team that won #5 was playing against the best defense at the time and just blew away the opponent.

The best a defense can do is make the opponent take uncomfortable shots and force mistakes. Unfortunately an offense that is clicking just can't be stopped. The only way to win is to score more points.

However, if Dubs play bad and Spurs also play bad, Spurs win. (See Spurs beat down of Mavs)

West on Green, that'll be key. Have Green focus on out toughing West instead on focusing on the game.

This. Great offense will beat great defense every time. We have to be clicking on offense in order to beat the Dubs.

spurs10
01-20-2016, 02:20 PM

West on Green, that'll be key. Have Green focus on out toughing West instead on focusing on the game. Spurs definitely need to play physical with GSW. Them not adjusting to our defense is exactly what we want. They are not going to be getting open looks every possession. If either team plays bad they'll lose. We have been playing pretty strong lately. I see low scoring first quarters and that will be to our advantage.

skulls138
01-20-2016, 02:48 PM

West on Green, that'll be key. Have Green focus on out toughing West instead on focusing on the game.Ring number 5 more had to do with who was hotter going in, who was just the all around better team, who wanted it more, match ups and style. The only aspect of the Heat that had people think they could win is that they had beat us the year before, thats it! It wasnt a good offense is better than a good defense or anything like that.

To comment on offense vs defense, sure a good offense once its clicking is hard to stop but instead of just trying to score more points we have to make adjustments on D and Pop does a great job at that.

ceperez
01-20-2016, 03:55 PM
Spurs definitely need to play physical with GSW. Them not adjusting to our defense is exactly what we want. They are not going to be getting open looks every possession. If either team plays bad they'll lose. We have been playing pretty strong lately. I see low scoring first quarters and that will be to our advantage.

My point though is the way GSW plays, they don't care if they don't get an open look. Everyone in that team is chucking from the 3 point line, open or not.

Mnky
01-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Yes. There was no team in the league with cap room that was turning away LMA.

Spurs had their choice of several names including : Gasol, Aldridge, Monroe, and even a move for Drummond. They went after Aldridge, and planned to long before free agency, even though Gasol fit their system better. Aldridge was recruited for a purpose, and that has to do with scheme and division opponents. Even in high school, coaches recruit for opponents. You really think the most efficient front office in the NBA doesn't?

steeledl
01-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Thought apple sauce started a decent thread for once when I saw your avatar

will_spurs
01-20-2016, 04:17 PM
This. Great offense will beat great defense every time.

No. Basically never.

Spurtacular
01-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Spurs had their choice of several names including : Gasol, Aldridge, Monroe, and even a move for Drummond. They went after Aldridge, and planned to long before free agency, even though Gasol fit their system better. Aldridge was recruited for a purpose, and that has to do with scheme and division opponents. Even in high school, coaches recruit for opponents. You really think the most efficient front office in the NBA doesn't?

AGAIN; LMA was the crown jewel of his free agency class. The Spurs knew he had interest and accordingly pursued him. Everything else was never more than a plan b. I'm sorry if you don't or can't get that.

TrainOfThought5
01-20-2016, 06:58 PM
My point though is the way GSW plays, they don't care if they don't get an open look. Everyone in that team is chucking from the 3 point line, open or not.

I pray this is the case.

spurs10
01-20-2016, 07:04 PM
My point though is the way GSW plays, they don't care if they don't get an open look. Everyone in that team is chucking from the 3 point line, open or not. Let's just hope the circus shots don't fall!

spurs10
01-20-2016, 07:07 PM
It's going to be quite a show!:bobo

Mnky
01-20-2016, 08:46 PM
AGAIN; LMA was the crown jewel of his free agency class. The Spurs knew he had interest and accordingly pursued him. Everything else was never more than a plan b. I'm sorry if you don't or can't get that.

It doesn't work that way. Maybe in NBA2K, not real life.

td4mvp3
01-20-2016, 08:50 PM

i've been looking this up, and as far as i can tell, the cavs' defense was ranked below top 10 in 2014. am i missing something?

BillMc
01-20-2016, 08:53 PM
This is a little off topic but as I am watching the Dubs beat up the Bulls, I wonder who we will use to guard Livingston off the bench? He's too tall for Patty. We'll have to put Manu, Simmons or Kyle on him. Dubs are using his size on Chicago's undersized backup guards, and posting him up a ton.

Spurtacular
01-20-2016, 08:59 PM
It doesn't work that way. Maybe in NBA2K, not real life.

That's exactly how it worked, dude. Spurs even didn't extend Kawhi in advance because they saw the writing on the wall; and the Spurs had never been a major player in the FA market to that point.

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 09:05 PM
This is a little off topic but as I am watching the Dubs beat up the Bulls, I wonder who we will use to guard Livingston off the bench? He's too tall for Patty. We'll have to put Manu, Simmons or Kyle on him. Dubs are using his size on Chicago's undersized backup guards, and posting him up a ton.
Patty is near unplayable against the Clippers since Austin Rivers owns him.
I expect Livingston will be a problem. Like you I think one of Manu/Simmons/Kyle will have to be on him and if Pop is experiment mode, maybe Simmons/Kyle specially will see time. I don't know what you do with Patty. By the way, let Kyle post him up and give him some of his own medicine. :lol

Stevie Johnson
01-20-2016, 09:09 PM

Basically the Warriors will cuck you if the conditions are equal for both teams. The Spurs only win if the Dubs play like shit.

ceperez
01-20-2016, 09:14 PM
I expect Livingston will be a problem. Like you I think one of Manu/Simmons/Kyle will have to be on him and if Pop is experiment mode, maybe Simmons/Kyle specially will see time. I don't know what you do with Patty. By the way, let Kyle post him up and give him some of his own medicine. :lol

Watching the Bulls vs Dubs game. Livingston took every opportunity to post up the bulls smaller guards.

BillMc
01-20-2016, 09:18 PM

Amen! :toast And let Kyle draw those fouls too....

r0drig0lac
01-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Amen! :toast And let Kyle draw those fouls too....

that fouls? gs players can hack all the time without any whistle, looks like OKC in 2012

BillMc
01-20-2016, 09:24 PM
that fouls? gs players can hack all the time without any whistle, looks like OKC in 2012

Do their backups get the same treatment? KA's foul drawing may be his best skill.

r0drig0lac
01-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Do their backups get the same treatment? KA's foul drawing may be his best skill.

yes, what is more strange, things that would normally be whistled fouls with them is just great defense, as never hit the hand of the attacker

SAGirl
01-20-2016, 09:38 PM

He hasn't even been as aggressive as we know he can be. Pop hasn't used him properly and teammates were not looking for him early in the season, in spots that he could be succesful. He was the 5th option in the bench and many times he's had mismatches and they ignored him. I think they didn't know how to play with him and the mentality of getting open shots and not forcing the issue made him passive. One of his best assets is precisely that he can make all sorts of shots while guarded or draw a foul. He doesn't need to get clean of anyone. Between posting up, and a jumper that most guys can't block and that is really deadly, Pop was not using KA well at all. Do not be suprised if Manu retires and all of a sudden he looks like MIP next season.

Pop had him as a spot up shooter early in the season. That was not and is not his best skill. He's precisely better when you let him play his game, which he's done all garbage time to the tune of over 50% shooting, posting up, drawing fouls and a smooth jumper that you can't really block.

I like Simmons a lot, but Anderson is very crafty and Pop has not used him properly this season. It's really unfair to compare them when one guy was encouraged to flourish and play his game, while the other was parked in a corner most of the time, which was not his best asset.

SpursBig3s
01-20-2016, 09:42 PM

You put Patty on Barbosa

MultiTroll
01-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Manu and Simmons no problem.
With Manu, you simply have to be ready to pull him if he is having one of his Alzheimers nights.
Something Popped has been unwilling to do, but at least he gets a quicker hook this year compared to others. Simmons has been very good, would not hesitate to implement him.

BillMc
01-20-2016, 10:18 PM
He hasn't even been as aggressive as we know he can be. Pop hasn't used him properly and teammates were not looking for him early in the season, in spots that he could be succesful. He was the 5th option in the bench and many times he's had mismatches and they ignored him. I think they didn't know how to play with him and the mentality of getting open shots and not forcing the issue made him passive. One of his best assets is precisely that he can make all sorts of shots while guarded or draw a foul. He doesn't need to get clean of anyone. Between posting up, and a jumper that most guys can't block and that is really deadly, Pop was not using KA well at all. Do not be suprised if Manu retires and all of a sudden he looks like MIP next season.

Pop had him as a spot up shooter early in the season. That was not and is not his best skill. He's precisely better when you let him play his game, which he's done all garbage time to the tune of over 50% shooting, posting up, drawing fouls and a smooth jumper that you can't really block.

I like Simmons a lot, but Anderson is very crafty and Pop has not used him properly this season. It's really unfair to compare them when one guy was encouraged to flourish and play his game, while the other was parked in a corner most of the time, which was not his best asset.

Good post. If Kyle really will be Manu's replacement, then I hope we get to see a lot more of him running the second team on nights Manu sits out this year.

Solid D
01-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Inside out can be done with small ball and be effective with the right players. The Spurs have played inside out with a small lineup lots of times with a 4-out, 1-in motion offense. FYI

Boris makes for an effective pivot for the Spurs.

spurs10
01-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Inside out can be done with small ball and be effective with the right players. The Spurs have played inside out with a small lineup lots of times with a 4-out, 1-in motion offense. FYI

Boris makes for an effective pivot for the Spurs. Thanks for saying that because your're right about Boris (and West) being a good example of inside- out not being exclusive for big ball. I tend to think LMA/ Tim aka bigs when I think 4- out.