PDA

View Full Version : Blatt fired.

coopdogg3
01-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Guess it's not Spurs-related, but this does throw a monkey wrench into their championship aspirations. Guess we'll see what happens in the East.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14627529/david-blatt-fired-cleveland-cavaliers-coach

ceperez
01-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Cavs pretty much done. Tyrone Lue signed a 3 year coach deal.

I don't think they even make it out of the East.

The way they lost to the Warriors was a complete embarrassment. James isn't as dominating as he used to be.

Join'orDie
01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
So does he still coach the East Allstars?

BillMc
01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
I was no Blatt fan, but GM LeBron will destroy player LeBron's chances...

ceperez
01-22-2016, 04:30 PM

Man... insult upon injury. I doubt it. Tyrone Lue is the man.

will_spurs
01-22-2016, 04:33 PM
In other news Kerr will be back coaching the Warriors against the Pacers, just in time for Monday's game.

BillMc
01-22-2016, 04:34 PM
In other news Kerr will be back coaching the Warriors against the Pacers, just in time for Monday's game.

Top two seeds in each conference changed their coaches today, for completely different reasons.

SuperCam
01-22-2016, 04:35 PM
King James continuing to take back the league from the white-jew ownership cabal :worthy: :wow

SAGirl
01-22-2016, 04:35 PM
I was no Blatt fan, but GM LeBron will destroy player LeBron's chances...
Lebron never really gave the man a chance. Blatt really wasn't "allowed" to coach them. GM and Coach Lebron will destroy player Lebron's chances IMO.

If I was a solid East team, I start looking at trades and such to improve. Several teams, like Raptors and Boston are one guy away of making a leap big enough to take down the Cavs. This might be one of those years, that any solid even if not spectacular team can come out of the East.

Spurs vs. Warriors is the real showdown. I like our chances this season. Kawhi, keep beasting boy!

I. Hustle
01-22-2016, 04:36 PM

LMAO

ceperez
01-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Lebron never really gave the man a chance. Blatt really wasn't "allowed" to coach them. GM and Coach Lebron will destroy player Lebron's chances IMO.

If I was a solid East team, I start looking at trades and such to improve. Several teams, like Raptors and Boston are one guy away of making a leap big enough to take down the Cavs. This might be one of those years, that any solid even if not spectacular team can come out of the East.

Spurs vs. Warriors is the real showdown. I like our chances this season. Kawhi, keep beasting boy!

Cavs are a disaster area.

They had talk about getting rid of Mosgov.

Now Love is questionable since he can't defend.

They got 106+million sunk on the team to win it all.

Lebron can opt out next season. They are done... Lebron my ship himself to NYC.

Vokun
01-22-2016, 04:42 PM
Blatt's a good coach, just never got the chance to actually coach the team like he wanted to because diva LeBron and his agents run the show. Good for us tbh. One less threat for the ring. No way in hell Lue is bringing a championship to Cleveland :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2016, 04:43 PM
:lmao Dumbasses... they're not going to win it all this year with an interim coach... they might still get to the Finals in the middling-heavy Least, but they don't stand a chance with no stability, tbh.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Cavs are a disaster area.

They had talk about getting rid of Mosgov.

Now Love is questionable since he can't defend.

They got 106+million sunk on the team to win it all.

Lebron can opt out next season. They are done... Lebron my ship himself to NYC.
The curse of Ohio sports continues to reign supreme.

ceperez
01-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Blatt's a good coach, just never got the chance to actually coach the team like he wanted to because diva LeBron and his agents run the show. Good for us tbh. One less threat for the ring. No way in hell Lue is bringing a championship to Cleveland :lmao

Can't blame it on the coach, the lineup isn't constructed well enough to be a winner.

The Heat could not only score, but they could defend. Cavs have both Irving and Love as liabilities in defense.

GSW exposed them and they are pretty much history.

BillMc
01-22-2016, 04:54 PM
I wonder if even Pop or Phil Jackson could reign in LBJ? I mean he even eventually chafed under Riley in Miami. LeBron wants his entourage to have free run of things (among other issues)...

ChumpDumper
01-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Leading the conference is a "disaster area"?

lol

ceperez
01-22-2016, 04:56 PM
I wonder if even Pop or Phil Jackson could reign in LBJ? I mean he even eventually chafed under Riley in Miami. LeBron wants his entourage to have free run of things (among other issues)...

He's going to bail with Cleveland.... sorry... it is a complete dead end. They exhausted all their bullets.

LeBron is moving to NYC!!!

Either that or Spurs pull the trigger and offer up Lamarcus "Diva" Aldridge in a trade.

picnroll
01-22-2016, 04:58 PM
Lebron claims he wasn't consulted on the firing of Blatt. Anybody buy that?:rolleyes

BillMc
01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Lebron claims he wasn't consulted on the firing of Blatt. Anybody buy that?:rolleyes

He might not have been at the very end since Gilbert knew LeBron wanted Blatt gone. But he definitely was when they gave Lue a 3 year contract.

tholdren
01-22-2016, 05:01 PM
The curse of cleveland sports continues to reign supreme.

Fify.

Lebron is a bitch.

Das Texan
01-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Hopefully this will get some of the sharks off the Messina bangwagon to steal him from San Antonio also!

Blatt got a fucking raw deal, hope he gets a chance to actually coach somewhere sometime soon.

tholdren
01-22-2016, 05:02 PM

lol
Yes, le Ron is mentally weak. His hand picked sidekicks suck, as always, and delinquent west got with his momma

ChumpDumper
01-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Yes, le Ron is black. His black friends suck, as always, and delinquent black man got with a black woman

Join'orDie
01-22-2016, 05:04 PM
That Love trade is going to haunt Cleveland for the next 15 years. It was a bad move with Lebron and an even worse move if he leaves. While Wiggins has top 5 potential.

baseline bum
01-22-2016, 05:05 PM
He's going to bail with Cleveland.... sorry... it is a complete dead end. They exhausted all their bullets.

LeBron is moving to NYC!!!

Either that or Spurs pull the trigger and offer up Lamarcus "Diva" Aldridge in a trade.

LeBron isn't leaving. Look how much power he has with the Cavs and how much money he's making for his boy Rich Paul.

baseline bum
01-22-2016, 05:06 PM
That Love trade is going to haunt Cleveland for the next 15 years. It was a bad move with Lebron and an even worse move if he leaves. While Wiggins has top 5 potential.

Wiggins looks kind of shitty this year.

SuperCam
01-22-2016, 05:09 PM

Wiggins is one of the worst shooting guards in the entire league
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/RPM/position/2 :lol

White NBA fans seem to be the only one on his nuts, tbh

Spurs9
01-22-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm suprised Rich Paul wasn't annouced as coach tbqh

TheMulletMan3000
01-22-2016, 05:21 PM

wiggins is far away from being useful and lebron is 31.

TheMulletMan3000
01-22-2016, 05:24 PM

lol

more like wtf

skulls138
01-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Yes, le Ron is mentally weak. His hand picked sidekicks suck, as always, and delinquent west got with his mommaDwayne Wade sucks? Hmmm didnt know that.

Spurs9
01-22-2016, 06:09 PM
So Cavs reach finals in Blatts first season with a busted lineup winning some against the Warriors, next season he has #1 east record and they fire him :lol
Pistons just smoked the Warriors, would they get rid of Walton after that loss?

Knoxxx
01-22-2016, 06:13 PM
This is hard to believe. Guess they just didn't like the guy. Is he really a bad coach too?

Neurosis
01-22-2016, 06:18 PM
One bad decision after another for Cleveland. Hilarious really.

The only reason they did it is because the Warriors and Spurs are having historic seasons, so they're desperate to do anything they can to try and get some kind of boost to their performance to catch up. In any other year they wouldn't have fired a coach when they're at a 30-11 record.

So funny watching all these other teams melt down because Spurs/Dubs are so insanely good this year compared to everyone else :lol

cd98
01-22-2016, 06:30 PM
I thought he kissed up well to the Cavs GM..er Lebron James.

Rain Man
01-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Cavs did the right thing. Not that it is going to be any kind of difference. Lebron is still the coach of the team and they just needed a new figurehead. They did the right thing to keep the fans thinking that they are doing everything in their power to catch the Warriors and Spurs. Nothing is going to change. They will still end up with the same record they would have had with Blatt. The only difference now is Cavfan saying "Wow, he was really holding us back. We would have had a record equal to the Warriors or at the very least the Spurs with Lue at the helm." They are just manipulating the fanbase the way generic Spurfan manipulates themselves.

spurs10
01-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Lebron is looking real good here!:hat

Old School 44
01-22-2016, 06:50 PM
I always thought this was a bad fit. Although, Blatt may be an excellent coach, he didn't sign up for the team he ended up coaching. He was signed before LeBron and had this promising young team with top draft picks etc. LeBron came back and changed everything. Whether it was true or not, Blatt became a figure head. When you saw Blatt on the sidelines, he tried to give this stern look, like "I'm the coach, I'm in control", but no one was buying it, and sadly no one was listening.

LeBron's one of the best ever, but he's not the most coachable. I think the only reason Spoelstra survived was because of Riley.

letmk
01-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Can't blame it on the coach, the lineup isn't constructed well enough to be a winner.

The Heat could not only score, but they could defend. Cavs have both Irving and Love as liabilities in defense.

Plus, LeBron himself has regressed a lot as a defender. When he played against DRose in '11 and Durant in '12, he was a great defender. Now he just cruises on that end as he ages.

BillMc
01-22-2016, 07:00 PM
I always thought this was a bad fit. Although, Blatt may be an excellent coach, he didn't sign up for the team he ended up coaching. He was signed before LeBron and had this promising young team with top draft picks etc. LeBron came back and changed everything. Whether it was true or not, Blatt became a figure head. When you saw Blatt on the sidelines, he tried to give this stern look, like "I'm the coach, I'm in control", but no one was buying it, and sadly no one was listening.

LeBron's one of the best ever, but he's not the most coachable. I think the only reason Spoelstra survived was because of Riley.

Agree. Didn't Spo have a finals loss in his first year with LeBron just like Blatt? In fact, it was worse because the Heat were expected to win, while no one thought the injured Cavs would beat the Dubs. So based on that Blatt was even ahead of Spo...

LeBron isn't really coach-able anymore, He chafed even under Riley. He's got complete control over the Cavs. I doubt he'd listen (long term) to even Pop or Phil Jackson.

YGWHI
01-22-2016, 07:14 PM
What's the record of teams who fired a coach in the middle of the season? It's likely the results are quite similar even with a different coach...

99 Problems
01-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Maybe the rise of Curry & Kiwi starting to push people over the edge around the league.

Old School 44
01-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Agree. Didn't Spo have a finals loss in his first year with LeBron just like Blatt? In fact, it was worse because the Heat were expected to win, while no one thought the injured Cavs would beat the Dubs. So based on that Blatt was even ahead of Spo...

LeBron isn't really coach-able anymore, He chafed even under Riley. He's got complete control over the Cavs. I doubt he'd listen (long term) to even Pop or Phil Jackson.
Yes, that was when the Mavs beat them coming back from 2-0 to win 4-2. Spo was Riley's hand-picked successor, and Riley still had/has lots of clout. I really wonder if LeBron would have turned out different with say someone like Pop when he first came into the league. He just ran over Mike Brown, in his first stint with the Cavs.

skulls138
01-22-2016, 07:34 PM

LeBron isn't really coach-able anymore, He chafed even under Riley. He's got complete control over the Cavs. I doubt he'd listen (long term) to even Pop or Phil Jackson.Cant stand Lebron James. Always wanting to do everything but his job. He wants to be coach, GM, point guard, shooting guard, everything but a regular small forward. Its like he does everybodys job for them because he doesnt trust them.

ceperez
01-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Cavs did the right thing. Not that it is going to be any kind of difference. Lebron is still the coach of the team and they just needed a new figurehead. They did the right thing to keep the fans thinking that they are doing everything in their power to catch the Warriors and Spurs. Nothing is going to change. They will still end up with the same record they would have had with Blatt. The only difference now is Cavfan saying "Wow, he was really holding us back. We would have had a record equal to the Warriors or at the very least the Spurs with Lue at the helm." They are just manipulating the fanbase the way generic Spurfan manipulates themselves.

I agree that this may be just politics to appease the fan base. After that humiliation against the Dubs in their home court, management had to come up with some fall guy.

Changing the coach isn't going to change the makeup of the team.

Rumor has it that they want to get rid of Mosgov, however with the league going small ball, I doubt there will be any takers.

tholdren
01-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Dude your racist

Aztecfan03
01-22-2016, 10:28 PM

everyone knew getting rid of wiggins in the love deal was a terrible mistake. GM Lebron is horrible.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Fify.

Lebron is a bitch.
Since when has Cincinatti ever won anything? (Don't think anywhere else in the state has a major pro sports team)

Aztecfan03
01-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Since when has Cincinatti ever won anything? (Don't think anywhere else in the state has a major pro sports team)
maybe referring to ohio state.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Brendan Haywood played the last of his 13 NBA seasons with David Blatt, LeBron James and the rest of the Cleveland Cavaliers, so he knew the dynamics in the room as Blatt made his way as a rookie NBA head coach in 2014-15.

Based on that, and what he learned from Cleveland contacts he had maintained inside and outside the organization, the former center was less surprised the news that Blatt was fired Friday by the Cavaliers than by its timing.

He shared his thoughts on the Cavs’ dramatic move in an interview on Sirius XM’s NBA Today channel.

“From what I was hearing, David Blatt kind of lost the team,” Haywood told hosts Justine Termine and former NBA player Eddie Johnson. “Then there were differences about what guys should be playing and what guys weren’t playing, from a management-coaching standpoint".

“When you throw in those type of things combined with the fact that Tyronn Lue already had a lot of power in the organization, had a lot of traction, and a lot of people that were there already viewed him as the coach, these type of things happen.”

Lue, 38, the Cavs’ associate coach was promoted to Blatt’s position Friday, agreeing to a new multi-year deal. There had been reports last season that Cleveland players heeded Lue’s instructions, confided in him and leaned more on his advice than on Blatt’s.

Haywood, 36, spent most of his career with Washington, won an NBA championship with Dallas in 2011 and was with Charlotte for one season before arriving in Cleveland in July 2014 in a trade that also delivered shooter Mike Miller. He mostly served as an insurance policy, logging 119 minutes in 22 appearances, but was a witness to the team’s business from within.

“It’s unfortunate because David Blatt’s a good guy,” the 7-footer said. “He was in first place. I’ve never seen a coach in first place fired. And on top of that, they’re in first place and their second-best player [Kyrie Irving] didn’t play most of the first part of the season.”

But there were legitimate reasons for the change that Haywood specified in the satellite radio interview. Among his charges: Blatt had a double standard toward James that other Cavaliers players resented.

“Coach Blatt was very hesitant to challenge LeBron James,” Haywood said. “It was one of those situations where, being a rookie coach, and LeBron being bigger than life, it was a little too much for him. I remember we had James Jones [talk] to Coach about how, ‘Hey, you can’t just skip over when LeBron James makes a mistake in the film room.’ Because we all see it".

“And we’re like, ‘Hey, you didn’t say anything about that. You’re going to correct when Matthew Dellavedova‘s not in the right spot. You’re going to say something when Tristan Thompson‘s not in the right spot. Well, we see a fast break and LeBron didn’t get back on defense or there’s a rotation and he’s supposed to be there, and you just keep rolling the film and the whole room is quiet.’ We see that as players. That’s when … as a player, you start to lose respect for a coach.

“Slowly but surely, that respect started chipping away where he would kind of be scared to correct LeBron in film sessions. When he would call every foul for LeBron in practice. Those type of things add up. Guys are like, ‘C’mon man, are you scared of him?’ ”

Blatt did not meet with reporters Friday, instead releasing a statement through his agents. It read in part: “I’d like to thank [owner] Dan Gilbert and [general manager] David Griffin for giving me this opportunity and am honored to have worked with an amazing group of players from LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love through our entire roster.”

The flashpoints that marked Blatt’s first season in Cleveland – his attempt to call a timeout that the Cavaliers didn’t have left late in a playoff game against Chicago, drawing up a crunch-time play against the Bulls that James vetoed because it didn’t put the ball in his hands, assorted incidents of bad body language by the Cavs superstar relative to his coach – were largely missing this season.

But according to Haywood, they weren’t replaced by the positives needed from the head coach of an NBA championship contender. That’s why he considered Cleveland management’s move Friday to be fair.

“I remember last year telling somebody on the team, ‘I love David Blatt. But if we’re in a close game, he can’t help us,’ ” Haywood said on Sirius XM. “That’s not a shot at Blatt. But … David Blatt can’t come to a huddle and draw up a play that would get us a good shot. David Blatt doesn’t understand sometimes substitution patterns.

“The mistake he made against the Bulls when he didn’t have the ball in LeBron’s hands at the end of the game… There were obvious mistakes he was making, and you start to see it as a player, where ‘We’re going to have to win this on our own, because he can’t do for us what Gregg Popovich can do for the Spurs. He can’t take advantage of a mismatch the way Steve Kerr did in the NBA Finals – Steve Kerr made it so it was hard for us to play James Jones. They attacked him every time he was in the game.”

Actually, every coach in the NBA would attack James Jones with whomever he was guarding, but Haywood was on a roll.

“Blatt didn’t feel the game like that, and those mistakes can get you beat. When the goal is championship or bust and you don’t think that coach can get you to a championship or help you win a championship, then that’s what has to be done.

“I honestly think they’re a better team. I have no ill will toward David, I hope he gets another job. But as a guy who was there last year, I think Tyronn Lue will do a better job.”

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2016, 10:59 PM
maybe referring to ohio state.
college :lmao :lmao :lmao

Spurtacular
01-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Fat Horse reporting that the firing took Lebron as a surprise.

:lmao

elemento
01-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Tough situation for Blatt

How can you run the team and hold Lebron accountable if Dan Gilbert and the rest of the organization are Lebron's bitches?

Funniest thing in the world is the Cavs GM saying that he fired Blatt because he felt that he was underachieving (30-11 and 1st seed in the East) LOL. Guess what, the team was underachieving with Lue as an assistant coach too.

So you fire a coach for underachieving and hire a member of his crew of underachievers. Makes sense :lol

This franchise is a fucking joke seriously.

Rain Man
01-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Sorry. Did I leave my racist somewhere?

tholdren
01-22-2016, 11:33 PM

75,76, 90s reds dipshit

BillMc
01-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Brendan Haywood played the last of his 13 NBA seasons with David Blatt, LeBron James and the rest of the Cleveland Cavaliers, so he knew the dynamics in the room as Blatt made his way as a rookie NBA head coach in 2014-15.

Based on that, and what he learned from Cleveland contacts he had maintained inside and outside the organization, the former center was less surprised the news that Blatt was fired Friday by the Cavaliers than by its timing.

He shared his thoughts on the Cavs’ dramatic move in an interview on Sirius XM’s NBA Today channel.

“From what I was hearing, David Blatt kind of lost the team,” Haywood told hosts Justine Termine and former NBA player Eddie Johnson. “Then there were differences about what guys should be playing and what guys weren’t playing, from a management-coaching standpoint".

“When you throw in those type of things combined with the fact that Tyronn Lue already had a lot of power in the organization, had a lot of traction, and a lot of people that were there already viewed him as the coach, these type of things happen.”

Lue, 38, the Cavs’ associate coach was promoted to Blatt’s position Friday, agreeing to a new multi-year deal. There had been reports last season that Cleveland players heeded Lue’s instructions, confided in him and leaned more on his advice than on Blatt’s.

Haywood, 36, spent most of his career with Washington, won an NBA championship with Dallas in 2011 and was with Charlotte for one season before arriving in Cleveland in July 2014 in a trade that also delivered shooter Mike Miller. He mostly served as an insurance policy, logging 119 minutes in 22 appearances, but was a witness to the team’s business from within.

“It’s unfortunate because David Blatt’s a good guy,” the 7-footer said. “He was in first place. I’ve never seen a coach in first place fired. And on top of that, they’re in first place and their second-best player [Kyrie Irving] didn’t play most of the first part of the season.”

But there were legitimate reasons for the change that Haywood specified in the satellite radio interview. Among his charges: Blatt had a double standard toward James that other Cavaliers players resented.

“Coach Blatt was very hesitant to challenge LeBron James,” Haywood said. “It was one of those situations where, being a rookie coach, and LeBron being bigger than life, it was a little too much for him. I remember we had James Jones [talk] to Coach about how, ‘Hey, you can’t just skip over when LeBron James makes a mistake in the film room.’ Because we all see it".

“And we’re like, ‘Hey, you didn’t say anything about that. You’re going to correct when Matthew Dellavedova‘s not in the right spot. You’re going to say something when Tristan Thompson‘s not in the right spot. Well, we see a fast break and LeBron didn’t get back on defense or there’s a rotation and he’s supposed to be there, and you just keep rolling the film and the whole room is quiet.’ We see that as players. That’s when … as a player, you start to lose respect for a coach.

“Slowly but surely, that respect started chipping away where he would kind of be scared to correct LeBron in film sessions. When he would call every foul for LeBron in practice. Those type of things add up. Guys are like, ‘C’mon man, are you scared of him?’ ”

Blatt did not meet with reporters Friday, instead releasing a statement through his agents. It read in part: “I’d like to thank [owner] Dan Gilbert and [general manager] David Griffin for giving me this opportunity and am honored to have worked with an amazing group of players from LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love through our entire roster.”

The flashpoints that marked Blatt’s first season in Cleveland – his attempt to call a timeout that the Cavaliers didn’t have left late in a playoff game against Chicago, drawing up a crunch-time play against the Bulls that James vetoed because it didn’t put the ball in his hands, assorted incidents of bad body language by the Cavs superstar relative to his coach – were largely missing this season.

But according to Haywood, they weren’t replaced by the positives needed from the head coach of an NBA championship contender. That’s why he considered Cleveland management’s move Friday to be fair.

“I remember last year telling somebody on the team, ‘I love David Blatt. But if we’re in a close game, he can’t help us,’ ” Haywood said on Sirius XM. “That’s not a shot at Blatt. But … David Blatt can’t come to a huddle and draw up a play that would get us a good shot. David Blatt doesn’t understand sometimes substitution patterns.

“The mistake he made against the Bulls when he didn’t have the ball in LeBron’s hands at the end of the game… There were obvious mistakes he was making, and you start to see it as a player, where ‘We’re going to have to win this on our own, because he can’t do for us what Gregg Popovich can do for the Spurs. He can’t take advantage of a mismatch the way Steve Kerr did in the NBA Finals – Steve Kerr made it so it was hard for us to play James Jones. They attacked him every time he was in the game.”

Actually, every coach in the NBA would attack James Jones with whomever he was guarding, but Haywood was on a roll.

“Blatt didn’t feel the game like that, and those mistakes can get you beat. When the goal is championship or bust and you don’t think that coach can get you to a championship or help you win a championship, then that’s what has to be done.

“I honestly think they’re a better team. I have no ill will toward David, I hope he gets another job. But as a guy who was there last year, I think Tyronn Lue will do a better job.”

Nice read. THanks for posting.

It shows how great Tim was for "letting" Pop coach him.

skulls138
01-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Cleveland should boycott all sports.

LakerHater
01-23-2016, 01:39 AM
So whos gonna coach the All Star game?

tmtcsc
01-23-2016, 01:50 AM
Well that just Blatt out sucks for him. I'll be here all week folks.

itzsoweezee
01-23-2016, 01:51 AM
Blatt was not a good coach. The Cavs made it to the finals last year because of two reasons: (1) LeBron and (2) they played in the east.

He still hadn't figured out how to use Love on offense and looked pretty lost when the pressure was on.

I doubt Cleveland suffers a dropoff with Lue leading the team, but I guess we'll see.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2016, 01:56 AM
Blatt was not a good coach. The Cavs made it to the finals last year because of two reasons: (1) LeBron and (2) they played in the east.

He still hadn't figured out how to use Love on offense and looked pretty lost when the pressure was on.

I doubt Cleveland suffers a dropoff with Lue leading the team, but I guess we'll see.

Dude took two games from the Warriors with two of their top three players out and a superstar that hasn't liked him. He was in a fail situation, but you can't say he didn't do everything anyone could have done with the opportunity.

Mikeanaro
01-23-2016, 02:20 AM
Im pretty sure those two have the pedigree to tame Lebron, and If he feels presured... will leave the team like a crying girl.

Mikeanaro
01-23-2016, 02:22 AM

Agreed Blatt couldnt traslate his Euro game to the NBA but in my opinion Love is worthless too.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-23-2016, 02:25 AM
It doesn't matter who holds the coaching badge on this team. Blatt certainly has made mistakes, but he's not the problem there simply because his position within the organization is not as important as it normally should be. They'll neither suffer or get better with Lue or some other coach they might hire, outside of a few names, that won't go there anyway. No one can coach there without having the authority, backing and power to put their foot on LeBron's neck.

And the comment that Griffin didn't consult with GM LeBron about sacking Blatt was laughable. At least shut up and don't mention it ffs.

will_spurs
01-23-2016, 02:36 AM
And the comment that Griffin didn't consult with GM LeBron about sacking Blatt was laughable. At least shut up and don't mention it ffs.

That was going to be the first question anyway.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-23-2016, 02:39 AM
That was going to be the first question anyway.

Well of course it would be. However, an experienced business man should be able to handle the press and easily dodge it.

NameLess Scrub
01-23-2016, 09:04 AM
If you're Lebron's coach you're likely to look like an incompetent pushover.
Blatt probably would have preferred to coach the rebuilding version.

UZER
01-23-2016, 09:45 AM
So does Lou get credit if they make the finals and lose? Then what if the have a 30-11 start next year? Will he be praised as a great coach?

dbreiden83080
01-23-2016, 11:01 AM
For a guy that has never been a HC at any level..

AFMadison
01-23-2016, 11:55 AM
They should have hired Luke Walton

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 02:01 PM

Pretty much this. Not saying he was your guy, but continuity is very important. When you run guys in and out the door and have a player or owner pulling the real strings, you get what we call The Cowboys.

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 04:36 PM
From a Yahoo article...

"...Players respected Lue as a former player..."

Pop's former NBA playing experience has sure helped us. Snarkiness aside. This is weighted too heavily, often, I'm sure. Lue's playing experience probably isn't going to save him. I think this won't end well.

ajh18
01-23-2016, 04:54 PM
From a Yahoo article...

Pop's former NBA playing experience has sure helped us. Snarkiness aside. This is weighted too heavily, often, I'm sure. Lue's playing experience probably isn't going to save him. I think this won't end well.

I agree with this. Just because two jobs are in the same industry, doesn't mean that you automatically will be better at one if you did the other. There are Doctors that make terrible hospital administrators. There are construction workers who can build a great building, but would be terrible trying to run a constriction company. It's more about skill set, less about the fact that you just were in the industry.

BillMc
01-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Well, the first game post Blatt went well.

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 10:56 PM
That didn't take long. Sometimes teams can rally around a new coach and get an emotional win. At home, with their new preferred coach, and Bulls win handily. Not promising for playoff implications.

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 11:01 PM

At least he gets along with the players, though. That's important. They got a buddy to console them when they lose, whereas Blatt wasn't a good consoler.

Spurs9
01-23-2016, 11:07 PM
At least he gets along with the players, though. That's important. They got a buddy to console them when they lose, whereas Blatt wasn't a good consoler.

:cry
Im sure Jordan was concerned being consoled after loses
:lol modern NBA

BillMc
01-23-2016, 11:11 PM

True. And they'll have another loss on the 30th,:hat so he'll get a chance to console again real soon.

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 11:12 PM
Rick Carlisle embarassed for the NBA...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14629132/david-blatt-firing-embarrassing-says-coaches-association-president-rick-carlisle

SAGirl
01-23-2016, 11:12 PM
I know this comment will get off topic with this being a Blatt thread...
but honestly I kind of am wishing some east team makes a trade to really make a run at the Finals this season.
This trade season has been very underwhelming.

BillMc
01-23-2016, 11:17 PM
but honestly I kind of am wishing some east team makes a trade to really make a run at the Finals this season.

Don't know about trades, but Toronto and Chicago just might have enough to bump off the Cavs. The Cavs would be heavily favored, but Toronto is coming on strong and the Bulls match up fairly well with them.

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 11:20 PM

Bulls look like they can sweep the Cavs as constructed, sans trade. Might not make the trade scenarios any more exciting for you, but sure makes the East more entertaining to follow, in general.

NBA to Cavs: Would you like an unchallenged trip to the finals this year?

Cavs: no thanks...we're good <spins wheel of chaos> <lands on fire coach hire assistant with no head coaching experience while leading the East midseason> Yes! Score! NBA=Fucked!

Obstructed_View
01-23-2016, 11:24 PM
So for those who saw the game tonight, how many post ups did Lue create for Kevin Love?

BillMc
01-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Bulls look like they can sweep the Cavs as constructed, sans trade. Might not make the trade scenarios any more exciting for you, but sure makes the East more entertaining to follow, in general.

NBA to Cavs: Would you like an unchallenged trip to the finals this year?

Cavs: no thanks...we're good <spins wheel of chaos> <lands on fire coach hire assistant with no head coaching experience while leading the East midseason> Yes! Score! NBA=Fucked!
:lol

BillMc
01-23-2016, 11:25 PM
So for those who saw the game tonight, how many post ups did Lue create for Kevin Love?

Quite a few actually. And he was the only Cav who shot 50%. He seemed sort of useful tbh.

Love's defense was still a joke though.

soxxx
01-23-2016, 11:39 PM
So does Lou get credit if they make the finals and lose? Then what if the have a 30-11 start next year? Will he be praised as a great coach?
Of course by Stephen A Smith, and if Lou is fired, it will be because of racism. Imagine if Blatt was black.

HarlemHeat37
01-23-2016, 11:43 PM
Lue was already co-coach, according to virtually every report we've heard since Blatt was hired, tbh..Blatt wasn't running his own system in Cleveland, and he had no authority over anybody, he was a figurehead..this firing doesn't change anything from a basketball perspective..

Lebron runs his own team, it has always been the case, excluding his Miami years..his basketball IQ/ego hurts him in the same way it hurts Peyton Manning, they have the same style, mentally, in regards to controlling everything..

TheDoctor
01-23-2016, 11:45 PM
...Love's defense was still a joke though.

Bulls attacked him on D every time he was on the court. 1 on 1 and pick n rolls.

I dunno, maybe they'll straight that ship later on but Lue looked too comfortable and complacent in the post game presser. Other than call some post plays for Love he did a terrible job with the lineups. Per NBA.com/stats, Cavs' most efficient line-up is with KLove at the 4 and TThompson playing center. Tonight Lue played that combo 2 minutes PLUS James Jones played more minutes than TT.

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 11:58 PM
The fans seem ok with the situation and new coaching selection process...

"When the final horn sounded, the Cavs were booed by their own fans, not the sound Cleveland's front-office was hoping to hear."

BillMc
01-24-2016, 12:05 AM
Bulls attacked him on D every time he was on the court. 1 on 1 and pick n rolls.

I dunno, maybe they'll straight that ship later on but Lue looked too comfortable and complacent in the post game presser. Other than call some post plays for Love he did a terrible job with the lineups. Per NBA.com/stats, Cavs' most efficient line-up is with KLove at the 4 and TThompson playing center. Tonight Lue played that combo 2 minutes PLUS James Jones played more minutes than TT.

In his postgame I read (since I didn't see it) that Lue feels the Cavs are out of shape and need to get in better shape to play at the pace he wants. I guess playing LeBron 40 minutes will do that...

Seems to me Cavs have an identity crisis.

littlecoyotecoin
01-24-2016, 12:07 AM
In his postgame I read (since I didn't see it) that Lue feels the Cavs are out of shape and need to get in better shape to play at the pace he wants. I guess playing LeBron 40 minutes will do that...

Seems to me Cavs have an identity crisis.

I think he's on the right track. A few suicides and some time on the elliptical should right this ship.

SAGirl
01-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Per NBA.com/stats, Cavs' most efficient line-up is with KLove at the 4 and TThompson playing center. Tonight Lue played that combo 2 minutes PLUS James Jones played more minutes than TT.
I am thinking, that has to be a Lebron request bc he lacks space to drive the lane.
Lebron is going to sink himself.

BillMc
01-24-2016, 12:12 AM
I think he's on the right track. A few suicides and some time on the elliptical should right this ship.

Yep. And midseason seems like the time to do this.:lol

littlecoyotecoin
01-24-2016, 12:19 AM
Yep. And midseason seems like the time to do this.:lol

Are we bad people? Having this much fun at their expense? If I were German, I would coin a term for doing so. :)

BillMc
01-24-2016, 12:20 AM
Are we bad people? Having this much fun at their expense? If I were German, I would coin a term for doing so. :)

:lol

Bad? No. Hating on the enemy is part of the fun of sports. It's all harmless.

KenziE
01-24-2016, 02:38 AM
Fuck Tyron Lue !!!

Fucking cocky as fuck that guy hope the cavs don't make the finals

Chinook
01-24-2016, 02:39 AM
For lack of a better term, it really does seem like Lue is black-coaching it, meaning that he's going to yell about effort and motivate guys over actually adding any new sets or skills. That can actually work for a team with Cleveland's talent. And it's obviously what Lebron wants, as he apparently tried to get Mark Jackson hired. But it's not a long-term fix, and I don't know if Cleveland could out-talent the top Western teams anyway.

DenialTwist
01-24-2016, 04:52 AM
For lack of a better term, it really does seem like Lue is black-coaching it, meaning that he's going to yell about effort and motivate guys over actually adding any new sets or skills. That can actually work for a team with Cleveland's talent. And it's obviously what Lebron wants, as he apparently tried to get Mark Jackson hired. But it's not a long-term fix, and I don't know if Cleveland could out-talent the top Western teams anyway.

Yes, Lue is basically a poor man's version of Mark Jackson. I agree with you though. He will share stories about his days with the big three in L.A. and the big three in Boston but he still isn't as hands on as a coach in terms of implementing new sets or explaining defensive schemes to the team. It is too bad someone like Patrick Ewing couldn't get a head coaching job yet everyone wants a former point guard as a coach nowadays because of their "court vision."

Lue wants them to play like a lesser version of the Warriors which is funny because they don't have the personnel to do that.

dbreiden83080
01-24-2016, 12:23 PM
From a Yahoo article...

Seriously a complete nonfactor. Look at the short list of greatest coaches of all time.

Red
Phil
Riley
Pop

They were either role players, or never played in the league at all.

dbreiden83080
01-24-2016, 12:26 PM

The problem was and still is, Lebron is running the team. All the players know it, so the coach doesn't have that clout. It will be no different with Lue..

SpursforSix
01-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Seriously a complete nonfactor. Look at the short list of greatest coaches of all time.

Red
Phil
Riley
Pop

They were either role players, or never played in the league at all.

Hmmm....is there anything else they all have in common...

dbreiden83080
01-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Great players willing to be coached.. Jordan had to have that beaten into him by Phil though..

SpursforSix
01-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Great players willing to be coached.. Jordan had to have that beaten into him by Phil though..

Yep. And multiple great players at the same time. In fact, multiple HOF at the same time for the most part. I didn't witness Red coach but imo, Pop is a head above the others.

dbreiden83080
01-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Yep. And multiple great players at the same time. In fact, multiple HOF at the same time for the most part. I didn't witness Red coach but imo, Pop is a head above the others.

Lebron obviously is that player, but I don't think he wants to be coached. He seems to fancy himself a basketball savant, and pretty much wants to run the show himself..

SpursforSix
01-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Lebron obviously is that player, but I don't think he wants to be coached. He seems to fancy himself a basketball savant, and pretty much wants to run the show himself..

It would have been the same situation in LA if Kobe didn't have Shaq. Jordan got the bigger picture. As Duncan does.

cd98
01-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Lue thinks his players are not in good enough shape to play uptempo, so he's going to make them run between game nights and at shoot around. Wonder how that's going to turn out.

UZER
01-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Yeah not sure that's the common thread he was looking for.

tholdren
01-24-2016, 05:26 PM
They don't put up with the horse-shit

SpursforSix
01-24-2016, 05:31 PM

Maybe not but it was the right answer. I'm not sure where anyone puts Daly but I think he did a tremendous job with the players he had. Not that they were scrubs but as a whole, nothing like Spurs, Bulls, Celtics, or Lakers. Worse star players and weaker supporting cast

What about KC Jones. He should be somewhere in the discussion.

UZER
01-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Lets just say Spike Lee would boycott that list.