PDA

View Full Version : R. C. Freaking Buford

illusioNtEk
01-23-2016, 04:58 PM
lol...

This guy gets no fucking love. Look at this team and tell me who is truly responsible for all the success.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::w orthy::worthy:

https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/rc-buford-gregg-popovich.jpg?w=1024&h=675

ChumpDumper
01-23-2016, 05:02 PM
That's a picture of RC's getting love for his job.

Spurtacular
01-23-2016, 05:02 PM
lol...

This guy gets no fucking love. Look at this team and tell me who is truly responsible for all the success.

https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/rc-buford-gregg-popovich.jpg?w=1024&h=675

He's a glorified Mitch Kupchak. He gets more than enough due, tbh.

spursistan
01-23-2016, 05:06 PM
http://speakerdata.s3.amazonaws.com/photo/image/818735/442889022.jpg

illusioNtEk
01-23-2016, 05:09 PM
http://speakerdata.s3.amazonaws.com/photo/image/818735/442889022.jpg

Yea, let this guy get a few more DWIs.... Won't change his legendary status

littlecoyotecoin
01-23-2016, 05:09 PM

illusioNtEk
01-23-2016, 05:10 PM
lol ok ok im sorry for making a lame thread...

GO SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris
01-23-2016, 05:29 PM
He doesn't get much love from casual Spurs fan, even those who attend the games. Most of them simply don't know his name, much less what his job entails. On the mic, he seems a bit nervous and is soft spoken, but truly humble. Everyone within the organization recognizes and appreciates his work.

rexrobinson
01-23-2016, 05:45 PM
:lol
But seriously he is well respected within the NBA and the few media that have a clue.

Joseph Kony
01-23-2016, 06:00 PM
he looks like a retard

SouthernFried
01-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Want to talk about a man who doesn't get any love, and is the most responsible for everything the Spurs have ever done?

Then you're talking about Peter Holt.

ElNono
01-23-2016, 06:35 PM
he's ok... hopefully he can be as good as Lebron the GM one of these days...

HI-FI
01-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Want to talk about a man who doesn't get any love, and is the most responsible for everything the Spurs have ever done?

Then you're talking about Peter Holt.
That's true, it all starts from the top.

He doesn't get much love from casual Spurs fan, even those who attend the games. Most of them simply don't know his name, much less what his job entails. On the mic, he seems a bit nervous and is soft spoken, but truly humble. Everyone within the organization recognizes and appreciates his work.
Pop called him the brains of the operation which is a huge compliment. RC definetly has a gift for understanding the game and recognizing talent. Drafting Kawhi is a great example of that.

Cry Havoc
01-23-2016, 06:52 PM

rexrobinson
01-23-2016, 08:18 PM
The Pacers didn't know too because they got robbed. If RC Buford is calling you for a trade, just hang up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2890km/kawhi_leonard_is_the_2014_nba_finals_mvp/ci8m02d

Funny quote about RC and the trade for Kawhi with the Pacers on reddit :lobt2:

DJR210
01-23-2016, 08:39 PM

:lol

tonight...you
01-23-2016, 08:55 PM
lol...

Without RC- where would this team be? Would they have traded Paul George for Kawhi? (JK, for the goofs who think I'm not joking...)
Who was going to talk Pop (and the other guys who were big George supporters) into that?
Who, along with Presti got Pop to look at international players and give young punks like Parker a chance?

His books are also completely solid as far as managing the cap and keeping the Big 3 along with ever changing groups of players to surround them, and look at them now:
This just may be the strongest team of them all, for the Spurs. We have more games and incidents to go through, but RC is the best GM in the NBA right now.
Bar none.

Mr Bones
01-24-2016, 12:00 PM
The guys who don't get enough recognition are the scouts... for example, do you know the name of the scout who first identified Kawhi Leonard as a potential draft target? Or who originally started keeping tabs on George Hill, from an obscure college called IUPUI? Me neither. I've looked and can't find the info. Those guys really deserve more recognition...

BillMc
01-24-2016, 12:04 PM
The guys who don't get enough recognition are the scouts... for example, do you know the name of the scout who first identified Kawhi Leonard as a potential draft target? Or who originally started keeping tabs on George Hill, from an obscure college called IUPUI? Me neither. I've looked and can't find the info. Those guys really deserve more recognition...

This is a good point. Though I'm sure those within the organization reward scouts who dig up such gold, nobody outside of the association knows who they are.

By the way, R.C. with getting LaMarcus, David West, and uncovering Simmons and Boban, coupled with the Spurs record, is a lock for executive of the year. More love for him (to the OP's point).

Mr Bones
01-24-2016, 12:15 PM
This is a good point. Though I'm sure those within the organization reward scouts who dig up such gold, nobody outside of the association knows who they are.

By the way, R.C. with getting LaMarcus, David West, and uncovering Simmons and Boban, coupled with the Spurs record, is a lock for executive of the year. More love for him (to the OP's point).

Yeah, agreed! That Exec of the Year trophy is his...

DenialTwist
01-24-2016, 12:38 PM
I love what Frank Isola said about Buford on SiriusXM NBA Radio when Phil Jackson was hired as the Knicks GM. Isola said Buford doesn't get enough credit for being an excellent GM. Isola said Phil couldn't walk down the street to the NBA draft in New York but Buford is traveling across Europe trying to scout new talent and evaluate players. Phil thought he could just step in and his presence and rings would make the Knicks a championship contender. The work Buford does behind the scenes is underrated. Just because Phil coached the greatest talent in the NBA doesn't mean he has an eye for scouting talent. I hope Buford gets Executive of the Year.

SAGirl
01-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I love what Frank Isola said about Buford on SiriusXM NBA Radio when Phil Jackson was hired as the Knicks GM. Isola said Buford doesn't get enough credit for being an excellent GM. Isola said Phil couldn't walk down the street to the NBA draft in New York but Buford is traveling across Europe trying to scout new talent and evaluate players. Phil thought he could just step in and his presence and rings would make the Knicks a championship contender. The work Buford does behind the scenes is underrated. Just because Phil coached the greatest talent in the NBA doesn't mean he has an eye for scouting talent. I hope Buford gets Executive of the Year.

I even saw Buford attend d'league games last season when they sent Anderson for weeks and weeks. There was a month he won Player of the month and I remember specifically seeing RC in a game. I suppose watching for himself how he was doing, bc stats can be empty in lower leagues, and I would not be surprised if he spotted the gem that is Simmons there.

I was surprised to see RC in that game since it's not like he was going to be there to show "support" like other players do.

Also, give credit for to Burford for how they managed they 4th wing situation. Spurs were strapped for cash but they got 3 different players who can all play and were counting on at least one of them being serviceable for the season, but it turns out all 3 can play: Simmons/Anderson/Butler, and they got Butler for cheap too.

spurs10
01-24-2016, 01:01 PM
RC Buford is one of the most well respected men in basketball. His work with the Spurs will go down in history as how the job is done! We are lucky as hell and a lot of that is due to him.
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

cariocaz
01-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Also, give credit for to Burford for how they managed they 4th wing situation. Spurs were strapped for cash but they got 3 different players who can all play and were counting on at least one of them being serviceable for the season, but it turns out all 3 can play: Simmons/Anderson/Butler, and they got Butler for cheap too.
;);)

spurs10
01-24-2016, 01:02 PM
P.S. Go Freaking Spurs!!! :lol

:flag:

skulls138
01-24-2016, 01:03 PM
No doubt. Hes the GGMOAT

LoneStarState'sPride
01-24-2016, 01:03 PM

This

spurs10
01-24-2016, 01:04 PM
No doubt. Hes the GGMOAT Yeah I like that!

wildbill2u
01-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Yea, let this guy get a few more DWIs.... Won't change his legendary status

Not that your comment is clearly nasty, but I'm tired of all the nasty comments about R. C.'s drinking. That's personal and I have a feeling that lots of STers probably have a few personal problems as well.

Remember what Abraham Lincoln said in response to criticism of General Grant's drinking problem: "Find out what whiskey he drinks and send all of my generals a case, if it will get the same results."

Spurtacular
01-24-2016, 06:56 PM

What are you, his PR guy? Give me a break.

Spurtacular
01-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Pop called him the brains of the operation which is a huge compliment.

CIA POP, TBH.

Spurtacular
01-24-2016, 07:01 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2890km/kawhi_leonard_is_the_2014_nba_finals_mvp/ci8m02d
Funny quote about RC and the trade for Kawhi with the Pacers on reddit :lobt2:

Originally Posted by shaqfearsyao from reddit (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=0#post0) The Pacers didn't know too because they got robbed. If RC Buford is calling you for a trade, just hang up.

I dunno. The KIngs got a second rounder from the Spurs for a corpse.

DMC
01-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I even saw Buford attend d'league games last season when they sent Anderson for weeks and weeks. There was a month he won Player of the month and I remember specifically seeing RC in a game. I suppose watching for himself how he was doing, bc stats can be empty in lower leagues, and I would not be surprised if he spotted the gem that is Simmons there.

I was surprised to see RC in that game since it's not like he was going to be there to show "support" like other players do.

HH37 puttin' in OT.

BatManu20
02-13-2016, 01:09 PM

TrainOfThought5
02-13-2016, 01:53 PM
Maybe we can trade em Boban for their best player plus draft picks

spursistan
02-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Damn..

even Spur lifers like Bud get hosed by the legend :lol..

k_nguyen93
02-17-2016, 12:51 AM
Been wanting him to do a podcast with Woj but I guess we'll have to settle with his interview during All Star Weekend:
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/r-c-buford-interview-163408313.html