PDA

View Full Version : Reminder about the Dubs game

Wildcat67
01-23-2016, 08:56 PM
One thing everybody needs to remember before they react to hard win or lose this game. Neither team is going to show their true plan or and advanced strategies that they would use in a playoff series.

With that in mind it is very difficult to take a ton from the matchup.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-23-2016, 08:58 PM
It comes down to transition defense then.

tonight...you
01-23-2016, 08:58 PM
It's going to be tough in that GS is going to be so highly motivated for this game while the Spurs take most games as "business as usual" until the playoffs.
I want a win, but hope for a close game on Monday. No blowouts.

ElNono
01-23-2016, 09:03 PM
made a sticky here, thanks OP

Obstructed_View
01-23-2016, 09:39 PM
I've read this a few different times, but as far as I can tell, there's no Phil Jackson secret strategy here. Neither offense goes four down for the entire game or runs the same play over and over in crunch time. Limiting mistakes is the key for both teams, and likely will be all the way through the WCF. Gotta be healthy, gotta play smart solid ball, gotta trust your teammates.

Wildcat67
01-23-2016, 09:42 PM
I've read this a few different times, but as far as I can tell, there's no Phil Jackson secret strategy here. Neither offense goes four down for the entire game or runs the same play over and over in crunch time. Limiting mistakes is the key for both teams, and likely will be all the way through the WCF. Gotta be healthy, gotta play smart solid ball, gotta trust your teammates.

How we decide to play the Curry/Green pick and roll will be a huge strategy and we won't know how they plan to do it until the meet in the playoffs.

MaineSpursFan
01-23-2016, 10:42 PM
put kawhi on steph thats all

Wildcat67
01-23-2016, 10:52 PM

So then they will constantly put Kawhi in a pick and roll meaning you are expecting your 6'7" SF to go over a screen and stick with a small quick PG and your 40 year old PF to step up to contest that same small quick PG.

Steph will not try to take Kawhi one on one. I am not a fan of just blindly putting Kawhi on everyone. He is sometimes better as a help defender/distruptor instead of being taken out of the play by being put in an impossible position to go over a screen and still stick with his man (although he is one of the best at getting back in the play).

I like Danny on Curry better with Kawhi coming down to swipe at the ball much better.

SAGirl
01-23-2016, 11:59 PM
So then they will constantly put Kawhi in a pick and roll meaning you are expecting your 6'7" SF to go over a screen and stick with a small quick PG and your 40 year old PF to step up to contest that same small quick PG.

Steph will not try to take Kawhi one on one. I am not a fan of just blindly putting Kawhi on everyone. He is sometimes better as a help defender/distruptor instead of being taken out of the play by being put in an impossible position to go over a screen and still stick with his man (although he is one of the best at getting back in the play).

I like Danny on Curry better with Kawhi coming down to swipe at the ball much better.
^^^ very smart post.
And I do think Tony will get a chance. Its a regular season game after all, and Pop has to put Tony to the test a little bit too.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-24-2016, 12:03 AM
Danny on Curry, Kawhi on Thompson, Kawhi helps out sometimes. Hide Parker on Barnes and try to funnel them to force their offense through him. Works like a charm.

AFMadison
01-24-2016, 01:12 AM

I would agree on putting Danny on Curry. He's given him fits in the past. If we go small I would like to see Kawhi on Draymond and Danny on Curry. I think that's the best way to stop the Draymond/Curry PnR.

Kool Bob Love
01-24-2016, 01:16 AM
Danny on Curry, Kawhi on Thompson, Kawhi helps out sometimes. Hide Parker on Barnes and try to funnel them to force their offense through him. Works like a charm.
:tu

Mnky
01-24-2016, 03:02 AM

I feel the same. Danny has ususally drawn the pg assignment. Although his feet are horrible on offense, he has good defensive footwork allowing him to pace well with smaller opponents. I believe Tony will be running a lot of screens as usual to tire curry on defense. If they hide curry on green, I see a Simmons substitution to negate that. It'll be interesting to see how Much this game is checkers or chess. Pop wants home court this year, but not sure he feels the need to push yet. I do see him exposing the warriors here or there tho, to help other teams make life hard on them.

Spurtacular
01-24-2016, 03:17 AM
One thing everybody needs to remember before they react to hard win or lose this game. Neither team is going to show their true plan or and advanced strategies that they would use in a playoff series.

With that in mind it is very difficult to take a ton from the matchup.

Over stated at best. Both teams will very much be playing to win. This isn't like many January games. There is a premium on keeping losses down and winning head to head match-ups.

look_at_g_shred
01-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Not even going to try. 13 wins is a long enough streak. Time to lose one :pop:

DarrinS
01-24-2016, 12:04 PM

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's just basketball.

Fireball
01-24-2016, 12:10 PM
fine, if its all so not important then lets just win it ...

transition D and pulling a blanket on Curry ...

DenialTwist
01-24-2016, 12:24 PM

I think it's better for Kawhi to freelance and read the defense off the ball. When he is on Curry, he will be running through endless Warriors illegal "moving screens" all game long. Kawhi will be exhausted, kind of like how he guarded Redick in the Clippers series. What they need to do on Curry however is tire him out, start guarding him full court and don't let up. They need to be physical with Curry. The Pistons did a great job of defending Curry, they never doubled him and KCP made him earn those points.

Splits
01-24-2016, 12:53 PM
When is it?

EVAY
01-24-2016, 02:50 PM

With the announcement that Timmy is out for the game, the pick and roll defense gets more interesting. Will Pop put in West or Boris for that?

timtonymanu
01-24-2016, 03:15 PM
made a sticky here, thanks OP

cjw
01-24-2016, 03:22 PM

I think you go Kawhi on Draymond and give them ability to switch Curry-Draymond pick and rolls. Parker or Manu can guard Klay.

r0drig0lac
01-24-2016, 04:38 PM
I feel the same. Danny has ususally drawn the pg assignment. Although his feet are horrible on offense, he has good defensive footwork allowing him to pace well with smaller opponents. I believe Tony will be running a lot of screens as usual to tire curry on defense. If they hide curry on green, I see a Simmons substitution to negate that. It'll be interesting to see how Much this game is checkers or chess. Pop wants home court this year, but not sure he feels the need to push yet. I do see him exposing the warriors here or there tho, to help other teams make life hard on them.
agree

YGWHI
01-24-2016, 05:18 PM

I'd like Danny on Curry but Pop can try to keep Parker on Curry like he did last regular season against them and Cavs-Irving this season, then he'll put Danny on Curry just in the last 5-4 minutes the first half and the last quarter.

Parker on Curry, Danny on Thompson, and Kawhi on Barnes, but I'd rather Kawhi on Thompson.

Also, Parker said he expects to draw Curry duty.

https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/691429738162712576

UNT Eagles 2016
01-24-2016, 06:49 PM
I think you go Kawhi on Draymond and give them ability to switch Curry-Draymond pick and rolls. Parker or Manu can guard Klay.
Parker can't guard Klay, :lol

cjw
01-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Parker can't guard Klay, :lol

He can guard Klay a hell of a lot better than Curry can guard Parker

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2016, 10:37 AM
I'd like Danny on Curry but Pop can try to keep Parker on Curry like he did last regular season against them and Cavs-Irving this season, then he'll put Danny on Curry just in the last 5-4 minutes the first half and the last quarter.

Parker on Curry, Danny on Thompson, and Kawhi on Barnes, but I'd rather Kawhi on Thompson.

This becomes one situation in which Danny's shooting struggles can be a real problem. The Spurs pretty much need Green's defense to stand a chance against the Warriors, but if he's not making shots and can't demand at least a small amount of attention from the defense, he might bog down the offense (by allowing GST to use their versatile guys to roam and clog passing lanes). Since you're unlikely to be able to beat GST (particularly at Oracle) without finding ways to score the ball, if Green's struggles make your offense easier to defend, whatever he might give you defensively might not be enough to balance out.