PDA

View Full Version : This article show what makes this Spurs defense so great

All Mighty Janitor
01-23-2016, 11:09 PM
http://www.inpredictable.com/2016/01/san-antonios-stinginess-in-transition.html

All Mighty Janitor
01-23-2016, 11:14 PM
Also, as some people here suspected, Warriors D after a made shot is very good. So, because their offence is so good, it inflates the defensive stats. They might be way more susceptible on D compared to other teams if their offence isn't clicking.

BillMc
01-23-2016, 11:15 PM
It's a nice read. Thanks for posting. :toast

It tells us that we are amazing at transition defense, though it doesn't go into detail about WHY we are amazing at transition defense. Kawhi, Danny and everyone getting back I suppose.

SAGirl
01-23-2016, 11:32 PM
It's a nice read. Thanks for posting. :toast

It tells us that we are amazing at transition defense, though it doesn't go into detail about WHY we are amazing at transition defense. Kawhi, Danny and everyone getting back I suppose.

Our guys not only get back quickly, but they communicate very well on picking others up, and maybe one or two guys are already running back as soon as someone is hoisting the arms up for a shot, even before it leaves the hands (Slow-Mo more than guilty of that one). Marco not eating up 22 mins per game is huge too, particularly because his minutes went partially to Kawhi, then to other guys who are much more committed to defense.

Simmons is a freak athlete, capable of catching up on guys, Slow Mo is just smart, does his work early whenever possible and when it is from a live ball TO, I have seen him use the tremendous wingspan he has to knock balls off from behind, and has blocked a shot or two in transition, all plays that Marco would never be able to make. Rasual is the one who has had less of a chance, but he's still very scrappy, and runs the floor very well. I will say this again, Slow Mo, bc he's slow is very underrated. He gets back early and is tall enough to dissuade guys sometimes and he has good hands, knocking balls loose. Simmons is also good defending in transition. Danny is a huge factor, but he was there last season too, and Kawhi was here last season too, but he missed many games.

Everyone else, Patty and Tony specially have made a commitment to play better defensively and have been scrappy. Manu is the one I have seen less involved in transition D, and I cannot blame him at 38, and sometimes himself being the cause of the TO (sorry Manu, but you know you are).

UNT Eagles 2016
01-23-2016, 11:35 PM
:lol SAGirl... bad breakup?

BillMc
01-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Our guys not only get back quickly, but they communicate very well on picking others up, and maybe one or two guys are already running back as soon as someone is hoisting the arms up for a shot, even before it leaves the hands (Slow-Mo more than guilty of that one). Marco not eating up 22 mins per game is huge too, particularly because his minutes went partially to Kawhi, then to other guys who are much more committed to defense.

Simmons is a freak athlete, capable of catching up on guys, Slow Mo is just smart, does his work early whenever possible and when it is from a live ball TO, I have seen him use the tremendous wingspan he has to knock balls off from behind, and has blocked a shot or two in transition, all plays that Marco would never be able to make. Rasual is the one who has had less of a chance, but he's still very scrappy, and runs the floor very well. I will say this again, Slow Mo, bc he's slow is very underrated. He gets back early and is tall enough to dissuade guys sometimes and he has good hands, knocking balls loose. Simmons is also good defending in transition. Danny is a huge factor, but he was there last season too, and Kawhi was here last season too, but he missed many games.

Everyone else, Patty and Tony specially have made a commitment to play better defensively and have been scrappy. Manu is the one I have seen less involved in transition D, and I cannot blame him at 38, and sometimes himself being the cause of the TO (sorry Manu, but you know you are).

Nice clarification, I appreciate it. :toast

Yes, a healthy and defensively committed Tony and replacing Marco with Simmons (and KA I suppose) has to help a lot. Tony's reduced offensive load has really helped his defense.

And Green is usually great in transition defense. That's why even if his shot isn't falling he's very valuable.

All Mighty Janitor
01-23-2016, 11:48 PM

Yeah, I like Slow-mo as a defender. He closes out like shit, but seems to do everything else average-to-above average. He recovers well and can intimidate people with his length and, like you said, he's smart.

SAGirl
01-23-2016, 11:49 PM
Nice clarification, I appreciate it. :toast

Yes, a healthy and defensively committed Tony and replacing Marco with Simmons (and KA I suppose) has to help a lot. Tony's reduced offensive load has really helped his defense.

And Green is usually great in transition defense. That's why even if his shot isn't falling he's very valuable.

Lately its been Simmons, but Kyle got minutes early in the season and Butler too, and the numbers are for the whole season. Just pointing out that while they are different players all of them are much better and more committed in transition D than Marco was, and Kyle despite being underrated, has made several plays defending in transition bc he gets back early and he even dissuades some guys bc he's tall enough to block shots.
Here are some plays you would never have seen from Marco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9X3mz7JmZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W118Vts7kE

These are just highlights I could find, but like I said Slow-Mo is underrated defensively bc he doesn't pass eyeball test, being unathletic.
Simmons who is getting minutes lately is also very good, and has drawn his charges.
Just overall much better than Marco.

BillMc
01-24-2016, 12:02 AM
Lately its been Simmons, but Kyle got minutes early in the season and Butler too, and the numbers are for the whole season. Just pointing out that while they are different players all of them are much better and more committed in transition D than Marco was, and Kyle despite being underrated, has made several plays defending in transition bc he gets back early and he even dissuades some guys bc he's tall enough to block shots.
Here are some plays you would never have seen from Marco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9X3mz7JmZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W118Vts7kE

These are just highlights I could find, but like I said Slow-Mo is underrated defensively bc he doesn't pass eyeball test, being unathletic.
Simmons who is getting minutes lately is also very good, and has drawn his charges.
Just overall much better than Marco.

Cheers for the videos. They make your point well. Yes, KA is way better than Marco in this regard as well.