PDA

View Full Version : Best regular season win

SURGE
01-23-2016, 11:48 PM
With the SPURS vs warriors game on Monday got me thinking what's the SPURS best regular season win in the Duncan era and for me is between SPURS vs Suns in 2005 overtime win and 2011 when McDyss made the game winning tip in

mudyez
01-24-2016, 05:30 AM
the next win

Obstructed_View
01-24-2016, 06:23 AM
The game against the Mavs in 2006 when the Spurs beat them down with their centers in the rotation. Who knew that two months later Pop would abandon a 62-win lineup and shit a way a title chance with smallball.

Fireball
01-24-2016, 06:34 AM
the first regular season game against OKC after they backdoor swept us ... TP with the game winner

Patty & Crew beating the Warriors in GS without the Big 3 ...

dafonearth
01-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Spurs Suns January 2005 OT win. Down 17 going into the 4th and thought it was all over. Then Manu goes off for 48 points (not all in the 4th and OT) and we win in OT. Legendary game, I remember thinking there's no way we can beat these guys.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200501210PHO.html

Kikoluna
01-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Spurs Suns January 2005 OT win. Down 17 going into the 4th and thought it was all over. Then Manu goes off for 48 points (not all in the 4th and OT) and we win in OT. Legendary game, I remember thinking there's no way we can beat these guys.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200501210PHO.html
I agree with you. I was in college at the time. ....good days...When that epic game happened. I remember manu's hair flying everywhere.

boutons_deux
01-24-2016, 10:02 AM
yep, that Jan 05 win @PHX was nearly as good as Finals win. I set off sky bombs to celebrate.

-17 to start the 4th? GAMEOVER!

:lol

... that game was probably one of the big reasons Nash shed tears of joy and relief when his Suns finally got past the Spurs in the playoffs.

SupremeGuy
01-24-2016, 10:18 AM
With the SPURS vs warriors game on Monday got me thinking what's the SPURS best regular season win in the Duncan era and for me is between SPURS vs Suns in 2005 overtime win and 2011 when McDyss made the game winning tip inI think I woke everyone in my neighborhood up with that McD tip in, tbh. :lol

exstatic
01-24-2016, 10:58 AM
This is the single best and most important RS win in Spurs history.

6cYVJ7oo1Q0

thiste
01-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Last game of last year's reg season against the Pelic... oops.

BSfromTX
01-24-2016, 10:52 PM

6cYVJ7oo1Q0

WINNER!
Second and third may have been that same season... 3 or 4 wins toward the end of that season told me that the spurs were finally the real deal

SpurPadre
01-24-2016, 10:54 PM
The game against the Mavs in 2006 when the Spurs beat them down with their centers in the rotation. Who knew that two months later Pop would abandon a 62-win lineup and shit a way a title chance with smallball.

Manu's foul says hi.

HarlemHeat37
01-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Fuck, I don't even remember any regular season games anymore:lol

My favorite from last year was the 3rd Warriors game, though..Kawhi and Green dominated IIRC..

UNT Eagles 2016
01-24-2016, 11:16 PM

6cYVJ7oo1Q0
Home game... but if I had not been so young I probably would have agreed based on the standings that year, that game put us all the way from the 3rd seed up to the top seed which led to that first championship. Looked like we actually got some Laker-like calls that game our way, too :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
01-24-2016, 11:17 PM
I think I woke everyone in my neighborhood up with that McD tip in, tbh. :lol
I thought they were going to review it and call interference.

Mikeanaro
01-24-2016, 11:28 PM
:td

Obstructed_View
01-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Manu's foul says hi.

What part of Manu defending Dirk at the rim do I need to explain?

Spurs 4 The Win
01-25-2016, 12:23 AM
the first regular season game against OKC after they backdoor swept us ... TP with the game winner

This tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlxgbkmuCc

SpurPadre
01-25-2016, 12:31 AM
What part of Manu defending Dirk at the rim do I need to explain?

No need to explain anything. They should've just let Dirk waltz in there. Instead he made the unnecessary swipe.

Sean Cagney
01-25-2016, 12:51 AM
With the SPURS vs warriors game on Monday got me thinking what's the SPURS best regular season win in the Duncan era and for me is between SPURS vs Suns in 2005 overtime win and 2011 when McDyss made the game winning tip in

The Suns and Spurs OT game, hands down! Ginobili had 48 and Barry went off too.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2016, 01:59 AM
No need to explain anything. They should've just let Dirk waltz in there. Instead he made the unnecessary swipe.

True, but the bigger point is that with Nazr and Rasho in the rotation, the Spurs win that series in five games.

apalisoc_9
01-25-2016, 03:21 AM
Probaly manus game against the suns

SpurPadre
01-25-2016, 04:24 AM
The first win against the Heat since Game 6, which planted the seed for the Finals after.

spurraider21
01-25-2016, 04:31 AM
- manu going apeshit vs the suns a while back, brent barry also hitting huge shots there

- when manu put up a couple of 40 point games in a 3 game span with TP out... this one against the cavs comes to mind http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=280213005

- TP scoring 55 vs the wolves to win in 2OT without manu... http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281105016

- roger mason hitting the corner 3 on christmas

i also like when we curbstomped the heatles with a barrage of 3's... when duncan said "game over" on the sidelines

Maddog
01-25-2016, 08:07 AM

6cYVJ7oo1Q0

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199904200UTA.html

A couple of weeks earlier the Spurs went into SLC and dominated the Jazz in the forth quarter.
It was at that point I started thinking " this team can win it all"

mudyez
01-25-2016, 09:28 AM

6cYVJ7oo1Q0

Totally forgot about Chris Mullin playing Center for the Jazz. ;)

boutons_deux
01-25-2016, 09:33 AM
not the best, but very notable

Spurs on B2B, won both, but both were double OT.

Tony and Baron Davis were head-to-head, a real dual.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Not that it had any playoff or rivalry significance, but Drob 71 point game is always my favorite just for the mere fact it robbed Shaq of the scoring title. Shaq was all sore like a pussy after the game. I guess that would just be my favorite regular season game.

Best win per say would be OKC/Spurs game w/ Parker hitting the game winning J. That was early vindication from the melt down the Spurs had earlier that year and really set the tone for that season.

james evans
01-25-2016, 09:36 AM
i was gonna say the lakers/ mcdeyss tip in. I won money that night

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2016, 10:23 AM

6cYVJ7oo1Q0

That was the second game of a Saturday afternoon-Sunday afternoon back-to-back against Portland (Sat) and Utah (Sun). The Spurs basically had to win both games to have any chance at the #1 seed -- and after that, they still had to win in Portland two days later to actually keep that dream alive.

But it was the first time in franchise history, really, that the Spurs faced that sort of a challenge and took care of business. The Utah game was dicey because the Spurs had to go to OT to beat Portland on Saturday while the Jazz were resting in San Antonio awaiting Sunday's game. Duncan's numbers don't necessarily look the part now, but at the time, his performance against the Jazz that afternoon was dominating.

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2016, 10:25 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199904200UTA.html

A couple of weeks earlier the Spurs went into SLC and dominated the Jazz in the forth quarter.
It was at that point I started thinking " this team can win it all"

I remember that game in SLC, too, and thinking that they had finally figured something out against the Jazz.

If there was any disappointment about the 1999 run, it was that the Spurs didn't get to put down the Jazz on their way to the title.

Seventyniner
01-25-2016, 11:40 AM
I remember that game in SLC, too, and thinking that they had finally figured something out against the Jazz.

If there was any disappointment about the 1999 run, it was that the Spurs didn't get to put down the Jazz on their way to the title.

I expected you to cite this one:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199903020HOU.html
(http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199903020HOU.html)This was the game immediately following the 101-87 home loss to the Jazz that dropped the 1999 Spurs to 6-8 and put Pop on the hottest of seats. Was Pop really coaching for his job in this game?

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2016, 11:51 AM
I expected you to cite this one:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199903020HOU.html
(http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199903020HOU.html)This was the game immediately following the 101-87 home loss to the Jazz that dropped the 1999 Spurs to 6-8 and put Pop on the hottest of seats. Was Pop really coaching for his job in this game?

That game in Houston set in motion all that followed it and may have ensured Pop had the chance to make his long run as head coach, but the last two games against the Jazz in 1999 were actually better wins (perhaps not as monumental in the grand scheme of things) gave a real belief about a title that I'm not sure had really been there before; after that first Jazz game in 1999 (the one that immediately preceded the Houston win), the sky was falling and the prevailing belief was that there was no chance that the Spurs were capable of beating Utah. To smack them in SLC and then beat them on the second day of a b-2-b was huge. To do it as a capper of the long run back from that poor start to create the tie with Utah that was needed to get the #1 seed made that game the best one I can think of, if only because those Spurs probably needed HCA throughout to win the West and have a chance to ring. After that, HCA was much less important; back then, it was everything.

And, yes, I think Pop was probably coaching for his job right after that first Utah loss in 1999. A firing may not have been imminent, but that team had to play better and with more force quickly after getting embarrassed (in a game where Pop had been ejected) on national TV against their biggest rival at the time.

TrainOfThought5
01-25-2016, 02:11 PM

That game coming off the heels of the fine that Pop got for resting the big 3 was absolutely incredible. Bench guys plus Pre-Klaw Kawhi was a truly incredible game to watch. Wish i had it somewhere to rewatch.

Sec24Row7
01-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Not a win, but many vs the lakers in 2004 was a pretty special game.

baseline bum
01-25-2016, 04:34 PM
For me, it's far and away destroying Houston on the road March 2, 1999 (http://www.foxsports.com/nba/boxscore?id=7906) to save Pop's job and David from being traded after a demoralizing loss to Utah on national TV two days before. The Spurs lose that game and none of this happens. Pop gets fired, Doc Rivers takes over the team, DRob likely gets traded to Portland for Rasheed, and does Tim Duncan stay in 2000 without Pop and without DRob? It's one of the few regular season games that has actually meant anything, and the Spurs would possibly be stuck on 0 titles without that critical win.

baseline bum
01-25-2016, 04:41 PM

Not the Spurs fault Malone had 8 points on 3-16 shooting in an elimination game in Portland. That Jazz team thought they finally had their chance at a title with the Jordan excuse gone and they just barely skated by Sacramento by the thinnest of margins in the first round. Stockton misses that three at the end of Game 4 and their title year is over in the first. :lol

BSfromTX
01-25-2016, 04:44 PM
For me, it's far and away destroying Houston on the road March 2, 1999 (http://www.foxsports.com/nba/boxscore?id=7906) to save Pop's job and David from being traded after a demoralizing loss to Utah on national TV two days before. The Spurs lose that game and none of this happens. Pop gets fired, Doc Rivers takes over the team, DRob likely gets traded to Portland for Rasheed, and does Tim Duncan stay in 2000 without Pop and without DRob? It's one of the few regular season games that has actually meant anything, and the Spurs would possibly be stuck on 0 titles without that critical win.

especially because so many were still po'd about pop firing Hill. I couldn't believe how long people hung on to that

Spurs1234
01-25-2016, 05:57 PM
A great random game was March 2000 at Portland. Portland and the lakers were the class of the league and the defending champion Spurs reminded everyone they were still a contender. Robinson got ejected and Duncan had a huge 4th. Great game , pretty sure it was on tnt or tbs.

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2016, 06:06 PM
A great random game was March 2000 at Portland. Portland and the lakers were the class of the league and the defending champion Spurs reminded everyone they were still a contender. Robinson got ejected and Duncan had a huge 4th. Great game , pretty sure it was on tnt or tbs.

A game story from that one:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100088/100088349.htm