PDA

View Full Version : Manu: Will not announce retirement ahead of time, comments on Kobe and GSW

SAGirl
01-24-2016, 02:02 AM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/basquetbol/nota/_/id/2577895/manu-ginobili-no-se-retiraria-con-gira-de-despedida

Basically Manu says he doesn't know when he will retire, but he will not do it like Kobe Bryant (http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/basquetbol/nba/jugador/_/id/110/kobe-bryant), with a retirement tour. He says that kind of thing would create an unnecessary distraction in a team like San Antonio, but since the Lakers are out of the playoffs, Kobe's retirement tour and the media it attracts doesn't change the team much.

He said that if he was in a similar situation (about to retire) he would wait to announce it but that right this moment he's not ready to say anything on the subject, and that he has not made a decision about it yet.

He had many good things to say about Kobe, how he impacted the sport, how he inspired many young kids to play basketball, how it was an honor to face him so many times, etc.

Concerning GSW he said:
The next game we might win by 20, loose by 20 and we are the same team, they are the same team and ppl will say about the winner "oh they are ready" and about the looser, "they suck", but its nothing, at the end of the day its just a game. Yes, we want to win it, but at the end of the day, its just one more win or loss in the column.

RD2191
01-24-2016, 02:37 AM
OP is a faggit.

Kikoluna
01-24-2016, 03:24 AM
I've never understood or figured out who OP is.

01-24-2016, 03:37 AM
I've never understood or figured out who OP is.
Why does everyone think she's an alt? ��

littlecoyotecoin
01-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Why does everyone think she's an alt? ��

Because no BIE.

ceperez
01-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Folks... stop trying to Dox another ST poster.

SAGirl is legit.

ElNono
01-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks for sharing. He spoke to me like he was going to be back next season, when we talked briefly in early December, but I imagine a bad injury (or maybe a ring?) can derail that.

I hope he does come back.

SouthernFried
01-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Does it matter who the OP is?

I appreciate the summation of the article, since I can't read it...lol. Thanks.

Kikoluna
01-24-2016, 12:05 PM
I actually looked it up. OP means original poster. Not an actual username. There you have it people, mystery solved.

SAGirl
01-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks for sharing. He spoke to me like he was going to be back next season, when we talked briefly in early December, but I imagine a bad injury (or maybe a ring?) can derail that.

I hope he does come back.
Nice scoop Nono!!!!
He's playing so well in his role/minutes that he for sure could do another season. It really is year to year with him.
It is not like with the National Team, when at times he has said he's retired and that he already came to terms with his last appearance being his last (and yet he wanted to get back to international competition last summer). I don't think he retires bc of the championship, but for physical/mental reasons. After each season at this point in his career he has to evaluate his own physical state and his commitment, other things he would rather do, etc. I found it interesting that he was emphatic he would not do a retirement tour or announce things ahead of time. When he's done is done, and we wont know it until the end of the season.

SAGirl
01-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Folks... stop trying to Dox another ST poster.

SAGirl is legit.
Thanks for the support ceperez!!!

SAGirl
01-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Does it matter who the OP is?

I appreciate the summation of the article, since I can't read it...lol. Thanks.
:toast

SPURt
01-24-2016, 02:13 PM
OP is a faggit.
For shame cyber bully, for shame! You mispelled yur hate werds!

SPURt
01-24-2016, 02:19 PM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/basquetbol/nota/_/id/2577895/manu-ginobili-no-se-retiraria-con-gira-de-despedida

Basically Manu says he doesn't know when he will retire, but he will not do it like Kobe Bryant (http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/basquetbol/nba/jugador/_/id/110/kobe-bryant), with a retirement tour. He says that kind of thing would create an unnecessary distraction in a team like San Antonio, but since the Lakers are out of the playoffs, Kobe's retirement tour and the media it attracts doesn't change the team much.

He said that if he was in a similar situation (about to retire) he would wait to announce it but that right this moment he's not ready to say anything on the subject, and that he has not made a decision about it yet.

He had many good things to say about Kobe, how he impacted the sport, how he inspired many young kids to play basketball, how it was an honor to face him so many times, etc.

Concerning GSW he said:
The next game we might win by 20, loose by 20 and we are the same team, they are the same team and ppl will say about the winner "oh they are ready" and about the looser, "they suck", but its nothing, at the end of the day its just a game. Yes, we want to win it, but at the end of the day, its just one more win or loss in the column.
Thanks for posting! The thing I always love about Pop, Manu, and the Spurs culture is they have a healthy perspective. It's the reason they came back so well after 2013. I hate the whole Ray Lewis/Kevin Garnett "we're going to war" crap. War isn't exactly like pulling up to where said war will take place in a luxury car, well fed, well rested, with thousands of people cheering, and getting paid millions for risking your life.

spurs10
01-24-2016, 02:39 PM

I hope he does come back. The way he's playing this year I would think he might be leaning to playing another year. I know it going to be really strange when Tim and/or Manu leave. We are so fortunate they are still playing. I was watching Game 5 in 2005 the other day for the first time in ages and my wife asked 'Who's still playing?' Once again I was struck by not only are the Big 3 still playing, but they're still playing together. Go Spurs and Wow!
:flag:

wildbill2u
01-24-2016, 03:21 PM
I think all of the Big 3 had two dramatic moments when they evaluated their careers.

The first moment was the loss to the Heat after the agony of losing Game 6. They committed to redeeming that loss--when they could have quit.

The second moment was when they won the Championship the next season. I think they realized how much the game itself meant to them as well as how much they loved to play with their team mates.

gambit1990
01-24-2016, 03:27 PM

:lol

YGWHI
01-24-2016, 05:59 PM
:lol

He says that kind of thing would create an unnecessary distraction in a team like San Antonio, but since the Lakers are out of the playoffs, Kobe's retirement tour and the media it attracts doesn't change the team much.
Manu and the art of subtle trolling Kobe...:lol

SAGirl
10-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Well he famously said he would not retire and announce ahead of time, so his statements concerning wanting to continue playing as long as he's happy and healthy don't convince me.

I have a feeling this is really the last season though. Have to enjoy whatever he gives out there and the mentoring of a young bench. Just thought I'd place my #Nostradamus prediction out there on this one.