PDA

View Full Version : Did Pop set up the Warriors?

Spurs21Fan4Ever
01-26-2016, 03:51 AM
I know this will sound crazy, but did Pop throw that game to get the Warriors over confident? The Warriors got lucky last year, everyone knows it, LeBron was right, they got really lucky. This year they're just simply on fire and they're getting carried away sometimes with their showboating and yelling. There was a moment tonight that I think spoke volumes and that's when Curry beat Simmons and yelled at him, flat out yelled at him. This is coming from an MVP champion? From a regular season game in the middle of the season? It's like they haven't been there yet but they have, these guys are immature, really immature, and they've yet to be forced to play real defense because of a weak schedule and well, more luck. That was not the San Antonio Spurs tonight. Yes we always see bad games from them, games where they turn the ball over, look lazy and confused, and get out hustled. But when they do that, you can see and feel the frustration. Tonight it looked as if nobody cared. The yelling at the refs were minimal, sure there were times of frustration, but the facial reactions of the players really didn't show much. They just let the Warriors beat up on them and showboat in their faces. That's not the Spurs I know, they always at least show a little bit of "just wait". The Spurs don't think they can't take the Warrios, who takes Pop seriously? I don't. He got the Warriors right where he wants them. He got the Warriors cocky and unafraid, like he did to the Cavs in 07. Pop knows that come time for the WCF, if they meet they won run lame iso ball, there were a few very telling possessions for SA when they scored with ease and there was no organization, and every time they went inside and got an easy dunk, because shocker, the Warriors suck at interior defense. I think it was Ginobili or Parker that talked about Pop always has a few tricks up his sleeves for the playoffs, coincidence it was right before this game? I really believe that Pop to a certain extent threw the game to let the Warriors get right where he wants them, and I strongly believe it'll catch GS By surprise come playoffs when the Spurs team that shows up is unbelievably good compared to the regular season Spurs team. I still have strongly believe 6 will be achieved this year!

Nathan89
01-26-2016, 03:58 AM
No. The Spurs can't hide their pgs on defense and have a multitude of problems on offense.

james evans
01-26-2016, 04:20 AM
i think he set them up. He threw in the towel during the 3rd early and had parker guarding curry. Had parker guarded him the whole game, he would have had 60 thru 3 quarters. We really need to run a 4-1 offense against them though and make them pick their poison. If we have 2 guys posting up on both sides, that give them a chance to double and get back on defense at the 3 point line. Shit, they don't even post up at all, they just set illegal screens with their bigs and we should do the same thing :lol

Pauleta14
01-26-2016, 04:28 AM
I don't think so, but he stopped the fight very early though...

There nothing better than fear to keep your team working, pay attention to detail and be ready.

TheMulletMan3000
01-26-2016, 04:33 AM
No. The Spurs can't hide their pgs on defense and have a multitude of problems on offense.

r0drig0lac
01-26-2016, 04:41 AM
no, that's crazy

SupremeGuy
01-26-2016, 05:22 AM
He started subbing pretty fast. I found it odd. I think he's trying to see a bigger picture and this game was just a glance. Our transition offense got shat on by the refs when they weren't calling shit for us but then giving GS bitch calls on the other side. Really, that was the big difference. Fuck them, fuck the refs, and fuck David Stern. This felt like the same shit we had to overcome in the 2000s.

cascaders
01-26-2016, 05:26 AM
it was really hard watching the game...honestly im still disturbed by it. I really hope your right, but i dont know, it sure as hell looked like the spurs tried hard, really hard to compete with them in the first 2 quarters..
Whatever it is, we are def witnessing a new dynasty now.. and how they dethrone us...the champs of the west, man its looking really scary. I just dont see anyone being able to beat them, our big 3 (Duncan, manu, parker) cant do much, its not theyre time anymore...to expect them to compete and save us is just not happening, they can just guide and help and fascilitate but its gonna have to be the other guys, but apart from leonard, i just dont know if the rest of them have the mindset and determination to succeed.
its very disturbing to see the spurs collapse like that, seriously. If the spurs cant stop them, no one can

szkorhetz
01-26-2016, 05:40 AM
We tried to push the pace? But for God's sake, why? We played a slow offense for the whole year, and this game was back to the run'n'gun style. WTF happened?

KenziE
01-26-2016, 05:41 AM
What the deal with LA tho ? U think he has more balls than what he have shown so far against Cav & Warriors ?

Chillen
01-26-2016, 05:48 AM
it was really hard watching the game...honestly im still disturbed by it. I really hope your right, but i dont know, it sure as hell looked like the spurs tried hard, really hard to compete with them in the first 2 quarters..
Whatever it is, we are def witnessing a new dynasty now.. and how they dethrone us...the champs of the west, man its looking really scary. I just dont see anyone being able to beat them, our big 3 (Duncan, manu, parker) cant do much, its not theyre time anymore...to expect them to compete and save us is just not happening, they can just guide and help and fascilitate but its gonna have to be the other guys, but apart from leonard, i just dont know if the rest of them have the mindset and determination to succeed.
its very disturbing to see the spurs collapse like that, seriously. If the spurs cant stop them, no one can

The Spurs played a terrible game, bottom line. The Warriors definitely have something going there but a new dynasty is a stretch. They rely heavily on Curry, Thompson, Green to sink some crazy shots to blow teams out of the gym. The scary thing about this team now is this is consistently happening night in, night out. If they keep this level of play up they are a threat to win 70+ games. They will have off nights, but it seems like they have kept the motor going for now.

r0drig0lac
01-26-2016, 06:06 AM
just the Bucks can beat these guys at their own game, his players are longer, young and fast that GSW cause a lot of turnover, more than two years of experience and they can not be champions, but will gain GSW always they face, they can run and defend the pnr 48 minutes, MCW can abuse Curry in the post and Monroe and strong enough to kill Dray there on the boards

DenialTwist
01-26-2016, 06:20 AM

No one wants to lose by 30. Not even the lowly Lakers.
The spurs backcourt looks so weak compared to the Dubs. On both sides of the court. That's what sucks. Parker couldn't initiate the offense and he couldn't keep up defensively. If you can't make shots at least contribute on the defensive end. Parker got torched in the 1st quarter, Curry had 15pts to start off the game. I knew it was over then. It's not like Mills or Kawhi did any better guarding Curry either. Curry is a God among men.

Horse
01-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Definitely didn't look like our Spurs. I think they just came out tight hurried everything for some reason and it was over before it started. We can live with chuck curry can't live with GS or anyone getting every roll every bounce and every call it was their night.

NameLess Scrub
01-26-2016, 06:35 AM
That kind of play must wear down the competition mentally.

Curry runs around literally toying with the defense.
He looks out of control then puts up some shot and makes it.
He can make shots as soon as the screen makes contact. A circus shot waiting to happen.

You take a ball from them only for them to regain it and have an open 3.

They constantly throw hands and put pressure on defense, then whine about contact on offense.
You can't go to work in the post when you have to be so worried about the help and the hands.
The refs seem to buy it, since I saw a couple of times foul calls when they weren't even touched.

This is a team that makes tough shots like they're regular shots.
And they just handled the Spurs like it's thet 76ers.

If this is a setup, it's a pretty good one.

ceperez
01-26-2016, 06:46 AM
That kind of play must wear down the competition mentally.

Curry runs around literally toying with the defense.
He looks out of control then puts up some shot and makes it.
He can make shots as soon as the screen makes contact. A circus shot waiting to happen.

You take a ball from them only for them to regain it and have an open 3.

They constantly throw hands and put pressure on defense, then whine about contact on offense.
You can't go to work in the post when you have to be so worried about the help and the hands.
The refs seem to buy it, since I saw a couple of times foul calls when they weren't even touched.

This is a team that makes tough shots like they're regular shots.
And they just handled the Spurs like it's thet 76ers.

If this is a setup, it's a pretty good one.

I keep saying that the Spurs can't beat this kind of team by attempting only 14 3 point attempts vs 26. The difference is that GSW will take the 3 at any opportunity. Just like how Danny Green and Garry Neal did against the Heat. When you have that kind of urgency where you look at every attempt as an opportunity, then you are impossible to defend.

DarrinS
01-26-2016, 08:32 AM
I don't believe in any mind games bs. Spurs just played like dog shit and got blown out.

In case people have short memories, the Spurs have been beaten this badly in championship years.

peacemaker885
01-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Warriors are the best team in the NBA. They are playing at another level. In order to beat thrm, Spurs have to play phenominal basketball. Game 3 vs Miami level. You can't defend against this great offense. Spurs have to be clicking offensively to beat them.

Budkin
01-26-2016, 09:13 AM
We needed an ass kicking like this.

apalisoc_9
01-26-2016, 09:16 AM
No. The spurs clearly wanted to win but they didnt really wanted to make adujustment, I'd imagine thats the recipe for the next three games. Could be useful for game 1. The surprise factor only every works for one game though. Ive never been a fan of this " dont show youd card thing from pop" I value home court much more.

jag
01-26-2016, 09:24 AM
He tinkered with the lineups and defensive matchups quite a bit, but so did Kerr. The Spurs should be able to out-execute younger teams, but the Spurs don't seem to have that advantage on GS. It's impressive how incredibly disciplined they are. The Spurs also weren't ready for that level of intensity. The Warriors play every game like a playoff game and bust their asses on both ends of the floor. The Spurs tried to go through the motions and got their asses handed to them.

Also, watching Draymond on Aldridge was sad. Draymond punked him hard.

Spurs9
01-26-2016, 09:37 AM
No the defense destroyed us

Venti Quattro
01-26-2016, 09:38 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Delusional

SpursFan86
01-26-2016, 09:40 AM
I don't believe in any mind games bs. Spurs just played like dog shit and got blown out.

In case people have short memories, the Spurs have been beaten this badly in championship years.

Yeah, people really go overboard with the "CIA Pop" shit sometimes.

BatManu20
01-26-2016, 09:41 AM
No.

RD2191
01-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Tbh I still have faith in Timmy. Nigga ain't no punk bitch like LMA. He'll throw in a few vintage performances to get us past the dubs. Imo.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-26-2016, 10:26 AM
I seriously thought Pop would try to win this game, but it was obvious he didn't give a shit. Didn't yell at anyone, didn't yell at the refs. Just sat in his chair and spectated most of the night. And its not CIA Pop. This is Pop letting the other team show their sets, show their rotation on D and show him what lineups matched up well or not so well against GS. Its like that game against the Clips 3 years ago when they blew the Spurs out. Spurs went into the playoffs and proceeded to hand the Clips their ass. Warriors as much more talented. But still, a blowout loss doesn't mean shit in the regular season.

Pop figure the Spurs were going to probably lose anyways and just wanted to get the game film on the Warriors. Seriously, the Spurs have a lot of film on the Warriors after this game. Pop definitely got what he wanted out of this game.

RD2191
01-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Pop got his fucking ass handed to him. No need to make excuses to make yourself feel better. It was a fucking ass kicking of epic proportions and a real wake up call.

SpursNW
01-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Spurs got beat - no question. But that has happened before and they have responded. Will definitely have to change the game plan during the playoffs.

I like: Ginobli (PG) starting on Klay, Kawhi/Green rotating on Curry, Green/Kawhi rotating on Draymond. Parker off the bench. More Boban - force 2nd team to deal with height in the paint.

Don't give up the ship.

RD2191
01-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Curry is too quick for Kawhi imo. Also Kawhi isn't all that great getting around screens. Pop fucks arou d too much with defensive rotations. Keep Danny on Curry at all times. DG doesn't do much of anything else so he should have no problem sticking with Curry for an entire game.

boutons_deux
01-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Rope-a-dope?

skulls138
01-26-2016, 02:32 PM
I know this will sound crazy, but did Pop throw that game to get the Warriors over confident? The Warriors got lucky last year, everyone knows it, LeBron was right, they got really lucky. This year they're just simply on fire and they're getting carried away sometimes with their showboating and yelling. There was a moment tonight that I think spoke volumes and that's when Curry beat Simmons and yelled at him, flat out yelled at him. This is coming from an MVP champion? From a regular season game in the middle of the season? It's like they haven't been there yet but they have, these guys are immature, really immature, and they've yet to be forced to play real defense because of a weak schedule and well, more luck. That was not the San Antonio Spurs tonight. Yes we always see bad games from them, games where they turn the ball over, look lazy and confused, and get out hustled. But when they do that, you can see and feel the frustration. Tonight it looked as if nobody cared. The yelling at the refs were minimal, sure there were times of frustration, but the facial reactions of the players really didn't show much. They just let the Warriors beat up on them and showboat in their faces. That's not the Spurs I know, they always at least show a little bit of "just wait". The Spurs don't think they can't take the Warrios, who takes Pop seriously? I don't. He got the Warriors right where he wants them. He got the Warriors cocky and unafraid, like he did to the Cavs in 07. Pop knows that come time for the WCF, if they meet they won run lame iso ball, there were a few very telling possessions for SA when they scored with ease and there was no organization, and every time they went inside and got an easy dunk, because shocker, the Warriors suck at interior defense. I think it was Ginobili or Parker that talked about Pop always has a few tricks up his sleeves for the playoffs, coincidence it was right before this game? I really believe that Pop to a certain extent threw the game to let the Warriors get right where he wants them, and I strongly believe it'll catch GS By surprise come playoffs when the Spurs team that shows up is unbelievably good compared to the regular season Spurs team. I still have strongly believe 6 will be achieved this year!I dont think Pops purposely threw the game, just think he didnt put alot of coaching into it. He wanted to see where they were at and what they were made of.

TheDoctor
01-26-2016, 02:39 PM
NO.

daledondale
01-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Absolutely. This will help us looking to the future.

BillMc
01-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Tbh I still have faith in Timmy. Nigga ain't no punk bitch like LMA. He'll throw in a few vintage performances to get us past the dubs. Imo.

Agree with this. Timmy is the Rock of Gibraltar. Just worried about those knees...

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-26-2016, 07:07 PM

I agree. I don't think Pop intentionally threw the game, but I don't think he put forth the type of coaching effort and preparation he would for a playoff game. David West tipped the Spurs' hand the other day when he said the team spends about three minutes before each game preparing for the other team and the rest of the time focused on themselves. You can do that against 90% of the league this year and still win if you're San Antonio, but there are still a handful of teams that require some strategy and effort to beat.

There was zero preparation for what the Warriors threw at them. Pop allowed his guys to try to beat the Warriors by playing their game, and I think it drove home the point to everyone on the Spurs that the path to the championship will go through Golden State and that they'll need a supreme effort to beat the Warriors.

Not the worst loss in the world.

daslicer
01-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Its going to be uphill battle against this Warriors team to take them out but it's better to get blown out now then later on the playoffs. I still remember in '01 when the Lakers came out nowhere and surprised the Spurs by the level of intensity they were playing at during the playoffs. The Spurs during the regular season when they played the Lakers only saw a Lakers team coasting and in a disarray. It's because of that I believe the Spurs went into the WCF with a mentality that it wouldn't be hard to take out the Lakers but were in for a rude awakening when the Lakers turned up their play by 10 notches. Granted the spurs can still lose to the Warriors in the playoffs but I think they will be better prepared to deal with them because of this game.

littlecoyotecoin
01-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Yeah, people really go overboard with the "CIA Pop" shit sometimes.

How's it goin', Pop.

Proxy
01-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Had to stop reading after the first sentence. This kind of notion is pretty much conspiracy theory. Lots of cringe.

Leetonidas
01-26-2016, 07:24 PM

this. Duncan carried the Spurs last season when everyone was shitting the bed. He may be old as fuck but imo this game really proved how valuable he is to the Spurs. they looked lost without the old wise sage to guide them as Pop wasn't doing much coaching

SilverSpur
01-27-2016, 08:04 AM
I found it odd that SA made all those bad passes. It look almost fake like they made too many and this from a team that is considered the best passing team in the NBA.
Also I saw SA leaving their man unguarded several times. Kawahi three times walked away from his man right under the basket which from the DPOY and one if the best defensive teams in the NBA seems strange to me.
Maybe Pop did sacrifice this game to make GS be over confident because to be honest I did not Recognize this team.

Fireball
01-27-2016, 08:17 AM
you can throw all your CIA Pop stuff out of the window ... Timmy is hurt ... and we will not beat a healthy Warriors team in a seven game series ... you have to be perfect to defeat them and thats not gonna happen 4 out of 7 times. In the end, only Curry was great and got help from Livingston and Rush. But in another game Klay scores 30 in a quarter, in the next Iggy finds his offense and so on ... right now the Warriors are the better version of the Spurs

MultiTroll
01-27-2016, 08:50 AM
PPoppers
And then there was the time Pop set up the Warriors.
Pop sure showed em.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv50UWsyONhnv7nlkF47Ax1ew2ps_s3 M2QEm0ikL9AA_ZM-txu1w

polandprzem
01-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Pop did not set Warriors up BUT he played the Spurs the classic way just to see how GS plays their best.
he tested many rotations and defensive schemes which caused havoc in which GS feels best.
All in all Pop wanted to win this game but he got the 2nd best thing - a blowout loss plus a HUGE amount of basketball well Golden State data.

We can only hope for Golden to start losing so we can get no1 seed somehow overall though we are not the favorites and Pop did not set Warriors up- Kerr knows every game in basketball there is