PDA

View Full Version : LA Coliseum Close to Deal with NFL

NINERS4LIFE
09-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Tags must be so happy now -- here's the great opportunity to move the Saints to his beloved Los Angeles. ASSHOLE !!!! :pctoss

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl...ack=1&cset=true

Way Is Cleared in Coliseum Plan
City and state agency reach a preliminary deal that will keep on track the venue's pursuit of an NFL team.
By Alan Abrahamson, Times Staff Writer

The California Infrastructure and Economic Development Bank and city officials have reached a preliminary agreement on a key financial link in a plan to bring an NFL team back to the Coliseum, officials said Wednesday.

A final agreement would put a potential Coliseum deal with the NFL on track to be worked out by an Oct. 25-27 league owners' meeting.

Last year, Assemblyman Mark Ridley-Thomas (D-Los Angeles) authored, and Gov. Schwarzenegger signed, AB 2805, a law designed to help finance certain infrastructure improvements around the Coliseum. But a city ordinance was needed to implement the law.

Earlier this month, I-Bank staff said conditions of the ordinance proposed by city officials should be tightened so that funds for roads and water lines and the like outside the Coliseum would not be available should one of the three NFL teams already in California desire to move to the venue.

The Raiders, San Francisco 49ers and San Diego Chargers are all looking for a new or refurbished stadium, although none had signaled interest in moving to the Coliseum.

"This sends the NFL a signal that we are all on the same page," Ridley-Thomas, a longtime Coliseum proponent, said.

Said Pat Lynch, the general manager of the Coliseum: "We're very pleased that we've resolved our issues. We feel it's very important symbolically for the NFL that we can all work together, that everyone is cooperating — city, county, state — and we continue to present this unified front."

Phil Angelides, the state treasurer and a member of the I-Bank board, said, "The right thing to do is to give the city of Los Angeles the ability to attract an NFL team and redevelop the neighborhood. That's what I pushed for and that's what I believe is right."

The Los Angeles area has been without an NFL football team since after the 1994 season, when the Rams left Anaheim for St. Louis and the Raiders left the Coliseum for their original home, Oakland.

The Coliseum and Anaheim are under consideration again as NFL sites. Backers of both locations have been working for months to present the outline of a deal to the NFL by next month's meeting.

The NFL, if it selects the Coliseum's proposal, would invest $500 million or more to rebuild the Coliseum inside the historic venue's existing walls.An Anaheim stadium would be built next to Angel Stadium.

An NFL official declined to comment.

"There was some fine tuning we needed to do," said Anne Sheehan, chief deputy director of the state finance department and another I-Bank board member. "We wanted to be able to help facilitate this and to do it … legally and properly and not just rush it through. We wanted to make sure the i's were dotted and the t's crossed."

samikeyp
09-22-2005, 09:45 PM
It seems that everyone wants a team in L.A.....but the people of L.A. Go figure. :rolleyes

Duff McCartney
09-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Why the hell did the Rams/Raiders even move there in the first place?

slayermin
09-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey, I want a team here. If there is a team at the coliseum, I could walk to the games.

exstatic
09-22-2005, 11:33 PM
NFL football is an afterthought in Lakerland, something Paul Taglia-pooh hasn't yet figured out. The city doesn't give a shit. They let two teams walk out the door.

How many expansion teams have been awarded since 94 when football ended in LA? Houston, Cleveland New Browns, Jax, and Carolina, at least...

You wanna let Paul and Jerry know how you feel? REALLY? Switch off the Cowboys.

scott
09-22-2005, 11:50 PM
You don't even need NBADan to spell out this conspiracy for you.

blaze89
09-23-2005, 12:11 AM
NFL football is an afterthought in Lakerland, something Paul Taglia-pooh hasn't yet figured out. The city doesn't give a shit. They let two teams walk out the door.

How many expansion teams have been awarded since 94 when football ended in LA? Houston, Cleveland New Browns, Jax, and Carolina, at least...

You wanna let Paul and Jerry know how you feel? REALLY? Switch off the Cowboys.

The Jaguars and Pathers were chosen prior the Raiders and the Rams leaving Los Angeles.

The Cleveland getting the Browns were done after the PR nightmare the NFL took when the Browns left after yearly sellouts in Municipal Stadium.

When the Rams and Raiders left Los Angeles, the support wasn't there, the stadiums were horrible - Rams playing in a baseball stadium, the Raiders playing in a stadium that couldn't be repaired from an earthquake and in one of the worst areas on Los Angeles at the time.

The NFL is doing everything they can to put a team in L.A., but the I think the main delay is more politics than the citizens. Anaheim chose not to have a stadium next to Angels baseball stadium, the Downtown stadium proposed with private money (by the same group who built the staples center) was scrapped because both the Rose Bowl and the L.A. Memorial Coliseum felt they would lose both USC and UCLA to the proposed downtown stadium.

When L.A. was chosen over Houston, L.A. couldn't get it's act together with fights on who would own the team and where to play, even after an extended deadline - L.A. coudn't get it right. Then add the fact that any new L.A. facility will not be done with public money, they have been adament about that.

Yet after all that the NFL is doing everything they can to put a team in Los Angeles.

It appears there are too many forces going against San Antonio getting an NFL team.

Marcus Bryant
09-23-2005, 12:19 AM
It comes down to how much potential $ Benson is willing to leave on the table today and also his (and also I suppose, McCombs') pull in the league (presumably against that of JJones and Tagliabue.

Perhaps Benson is flexible on when he exits but does anyone really see an owner deserting New Orleans within a year or two of a major natural disaster having many friends?

He might just assume that no matter how or when he leaves NO, he will be hated.

blaze89
09-23-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't know if Art Modell ever got over the PR nightmare that was the Browns leaving Cleveland - would Benson be willing to go through what Modell did?

samikeyp
09-23-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't know if Art Modell ever got over the PR nightmare that was the Browns leaving Cleveland - would Benson be willing to go through what Modell did?

Good point but I am not sure that Saints fan anger would match up with Browns Fan. That is a unique group up there. Then again Modell was able to drown his sorrows in all the cash he got....Benson probably would too.

blaze89
09-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Then again Modell was able to drown his sorrows in all the cash he got....

Don't forget the Super Bowl Modell's Ravens won.