PDA

View Full Version : Pop tank games article

ducks
01-26-2016, 04:25 PM
DAN PATRICK SHOW
DOES GREGG POPOVICH TANK REGULAR SEASON GAMES?

In the aftermath of the Warriors' blowout win over the Spurs, Chris Mannix says he's not too worried about San Antonio and there is even a little part of him that believes Gregg Popovich tanks

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/does-gregg-popovich-tank-regular-season-games

Russ
01-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Pop likes to take his hands off the wheel every once in a while.

Just to infuse some humility in the troops. Just to make them anxious for a little more coaching, a little less complacency, a little more heat.

Spurtacular
01-26-2016, 10:38 PM
http://s.emuparadise.org/fup/up/53586-Pop'n_Tanks!_%28Japan%29-1.jpg

beirmeistr
01-26-2016, 11:39 PM

Just to infuse some humility in the troops. Just to make them anxious for a little more coaching, a little less complacency, a little more heat.

it's the wine

01-26-2016, 11:50 PM

+1

kobyz
01-27-2016, 01:05 AM
Another "pop is god" thread? pop is a soft nigga that outsmart only himself...

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2016, 07:14 AM
I don't think it's tanking as much as it might be a refusal to do absolutely everything in his power to try to win every game. He admits that he doesn't watch opponent film for parts of the season and David West has recently said something about the fact that game plans for each game are very minimal.

honestfool84
01-27-2016, 10:31 AM
I don't think it's tanking as much as it might be a refusal to do absolutely everything in his power to try to win every game. He admits that he doesn't watch opponent film for parts of the season and David West has recently said something about the fact that game plans for each game are very minimal.

I think I remember that David West quote being something along the lines of that the Spurs focus on themselves, and don't really do game plans for the their opponents... That when the Spurs play their style of basketball, they're hard to beat.

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2016, 10:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spurs--evolution-includes-same-brilliant-level-of-dominance-231013698.html

David West pinches his index finger and thumb together, leaving the slightest sliver of space between them. Small, he’s telling you. The smallest he’s ever been handed in basketball.
“The scouting reports are like this,” West told Yahoo Sports.

“One of the biggest adjustments for me has been the lack of focus on other teams,” West told Yahoo Sports. “It’s all about this group, and what we’re doing every day. Maybe we spend three minutes on who we’re playing that night. … We watch a few clips. Here, you just realize that it’s not really about anybody but us.”

ceperez
01-27-2016, 11:48 AM

I agree with this. PATFO doesn't spend a lot of effort in the regular season to prep against opponents. They didn't prep enough against GSW and got destroyed.

GSW however scored 120 points. That indeed is a concern even if you didn't prep against them.

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2016, 12:12 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting that there should be no concern after Monday; I do think that some might be trying to suggest that the concerns might not be as great as they would seem, if only because it's unlikely the Spurs spent much time game-planning for the Warriors.

Game plan or not, they're going to have to compete harder and play with considerably more poise (among other things) to beat GST.

ceperez
01-27-2016, 12:21 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting that there should be no concern after Monday; I do think that some might be trying to suggest that the concerns might not be as great as they would seem, if only because it's unlikely the Spurs spent much time game-planning for the Warriors.

Game plan or not, they're going to have to compete harder and play with considerably more poise (among other things) to beat GST.

The dynamics of the 4th quarter were however interesting. Pop cleared the bench late 3rd quarter. Likely in the hopes of seeing better play by the bench.

However, GS despite also playing the bench was determined to also execute. Kerr had multiple timeouts to make sure that his bench had its foot on the throat of the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2016, 12:36 PM
I think you could certainly take the reasonable view that Monday's game was much, much more important for the Warriors (who've heard doubts about whether they can beat the Spurs) than it was for the Spurs (who are unlikely to catch the Warriors for the #1 seed by season's end and were, in any event, playing in a building that is nearly impossible to win in). The Warriors were dialed in and ready to go; the Spurs seemed either over-anxious or strangely disinterested but certainly were not as focused as the Warriors were for that game. Again, it's one loss and it's going to be what it will be.

The point of the thread is that Pop is willing to sacrifice games at time during the regular season and I think there was a point on Monday where Pop made it clear that he wasn't going to go to any exceptional lengths to get back into the game, as he frequently does.

You can quarrel with that approach if you want, but that's the deal you've signed up for if you're a Spurs fan.

Maddog
01-27-2016, 02:31 PM

I think this is the correct interpretation.
Unfortunately, he did it against a really, really good team. A team that will be hard to beat even if where to go all in.
I also think he was trying out a few things- like let's see if Tony can guard Steph, etc.
Sometimes experiments fail. (not sure if Tony is 100%).