PDA

View Full Version : _Manny!! say it isn't True !!

mouse
09-22-2005, 11:44 PM
:depressed :depressed :depressed

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9441438/

File-sharing sites closing doors
Legal fallout continues after Supreme Court ruling

• New file-sharing king eclipses BitTorrent
• Shocked, shocked to find file-sharing going on
• Tool aims to ease academic file-sharing
• RIAA sues more file-swappers
• Grokster reported in talks with Mashboxx

Updated: 9:59 p.m. ET Sept. 22, 2005
LOS ANGELES/SAN FRANCISCO - Popular file-sharing site WinMX.com ceased operating and the New York office of another, eDonkey.com, appeared to be closed, in the continuing legal fallout among underworld peer-to-peer music services, industry sources and users said Wednesday.

The turmoil among file-sharing networks follows the landmark ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in June that held anyone who distributes a device used to infringe copyright is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by others.

In the wake of the decision, the trade group Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) last week sent out "cease-and-desist" letters to seven file-sharing groups. A spokeswoman for the RIAA declined to name the targets.

Popular file-sharing sites BearShare, eDonkey and WinMX were reportedly among the targets.

The decentralized nature of most peer-to-peer file-sharing software makes it uncontrollable once it is released over the Internet. However, shutting off sites where users first download the software may strangle the flow of new users.

"There's certainly a a big realignment of networks going on after the RIAA letters. Everyone is going to see a fallout since the ruling is making it tough for these companies to exist," said Marc Morgenstern, vice president for Loudeye, during the Digital Hollywood conference in Santa Monica.

An eDonkey executive with a Boston phone number was not immediately available to comment. Industry sources said the phone in the New York office had been disconnected.

A spokesman for Frontcode Technologies, developers of the WinMX application, could not be located to comment.

Users in both Europe and North America complained that the WinMX site was unavailable throughout the day Wednesday. Free Peers Inc., backers of BearShare, did not respond to attempts to contact them via e-mail.

The latest developments come on the heels of a pending deal in which file-sharing service Grokster Ltd. is set to be acquired by Mashboxx LLC, a new company formed with the intent of establishing a legal peer-to-peer music company, sources familiar with the matter said.

A spokesman for Mashboxx, formed by former Grokster President Wayne Rosso and other partners, declined comment.

Michael Page, a lawyer for Grokster, which makes software that has been widely used to illegally swap music over the Internet, also declined to comment.

Both Grokster and Morpheus, distributed by StreamCast Network Inc., were on the losing end of the Supreme Court's ruling.

The Rosso spokesman declined to comment on the talks with Grokster but said he expects the Mashboxx service to launch in the next few months. Mashboxx has announced a licensing deal with Sony Corp. and is talking with other major labels.

The sources familiar with the matter said the pending deal with Mashboxx helped pave the way for settlement discussions between Grokster and the major record labels.

Michael Weiss, Morpheus's chief executive, declined to comment on whether his company had engaged in settlement discussions.

Last June, the Supreme Court sent the case against Grokster and Morpheus back to a lower courts for further action on whether or not the file-sharing networks encouraged its users into infringing action.

Weiss has said he is confident Morpheus can prove it did not induce copyright violation. On Wednesday, he said he was awaiting his next date in court in mid-October.

The current generation of file-sharing networks are all descendants of the original music-sharing phenomenon Napster, which was forced to shut down, and now operates as a legal music service.

However, peer-to-peer technology has lived on in programs like WinMX, which represent a sort of transitional generation of media-sharing programs between the pioneering Napster and more modern programs like Gnutella and eDonkey.

Despite the legal wrangling, free file-sharing has persisted and many in the industry believe it is about to embark on a new era in which it will finally be embraced commercially by media companies for legitimate purposes.

Trainwreck2100
09-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Not edonkey, I love Edonkey.

midgetonadonkey
09-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Long Live Torrents!!

Horry For 3!
09-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Good thing I never used them :lol

Horry For 3!
09-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Popular file-sharing sites BearShare, eDonkey and WinMX were reportedly among the targets.
I used BearShare before, Sucks... I used WinMX before, Sucks... eDonkey, not sure about that one.

Trainwreck2100
09-22-2005, 11:53 PM
winmx does suck, edonkey sucks for music

mouse
09-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Good thing I never used them :lol

And you never masterbait either :lamo

Dam I was 3/4 of the way done with Nylon Sluts vs The Panty Ho's :smokin

Trainwreck2100
09-23-2005, 12:08 AM
You do know they still work right?

mouse
09-23-2005, 12:08 AM
winmx does suck, edonkey sucks for music

I had no problem with WinMx, All my songs came in clear and fast,

I used eMule for Games and eDonkey for Movies I bet some off shore co. will rise from the ashes,

I Guess we all need to share among ourselves now.....who has Aloha Solitaire?
:smokin

mouse
09-23-2005, 12:10 AM
You do know they still work right?

WinMx is GONE try clinking on it's links. I am shocked Manny does not know yet,

E Donkey still has life I better go and see how my Sims 2 University is doing...

Trainwreck2100
09-23-2005, 12:12 AM
WinMx is GONE try clinking on it's links. I am shocked Manny does not know yet,

E Donkey still has life I better go and see how my Sims 2 University is doing...

I had real trouble with WinMx i could never find anything.

Sense
09-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Long Live Torrents!!

:tu :tu

Sense
09-23-2005, 12:41 AM

Well you don't obviously know what's required for a good music download.

You need bitrate, speed, size and type.

Bitrate has to be above 128 to get good quality sound.

Speed....Cable, DSL, T1, etc...

Size, :rolleyes

type, I think MP3 is better than a WAV file.

And usually in WinMx the green means good, so if you downloaded from the bottom you weren't downloading correctly.

JoePublic
09-23-2005, 06:22 AM
I thought Rita had disappeared.

mouse
09-23-2005, 08:25 AM
I just don't get it, When I was 21 back in the 80's, if I had a record of Judas Priest's Hell bent for leather, I could make my friend a tape and no one would get ther panties all wet, It was no big deal. Sharing is what we are taught as a child growing up.

When the person next door wants to use your lwan mower, you don't see Sears or Home Depot stepping in to say not to share thier products do you? Did Betty Crocker get all upset when your granny shared a cooking recipe?

We live in a new Era, Times are different, If you don't want your stuff shared you need to not put it put it out there, Trust me , if they could , they would control what you dream at night............

Marklar MM
09-23-2005, 01:49 PM

The problem there is that no one had your song. It is mostly more popular music. Try imesh.com

Marklar MM
09-23-2005, 01:49 PM
mIRC is the solution to all your heavenly troubles.

bigzak25
09-23-2005, 02:49 PM
i told you i was having problems with winmx mouse...now you belive the BigZak...

damn it!!!

what is torrents...it's still up? gimme the 411...

i understand artists and record companies, movie companies wanting to retain their cash, but damn, it still pisses me off...

what are the good pay sites where you can still download stuff? anyone, anyone? buehler? buehler?

JoeChalupa
09-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm glad my cheap ass downloaded like a mofo from WinMx!

I was rockin' to April Wine, The Rockets, The BeeGees....errr...classic rock last night.

Marklar MM
09-23-2005, 02:55 PM
i told you i was having problems with winmx mouse...now you belive the BigZak...

damn it!!!

what is torrents...it's still up? gimme the 411...

i understand artists and record companies, movie companies wanting to retain their cash, but damn, it still pisses me off...

what are the good pay sites where you can still download stuff? anyone, anyone? buehler? buehler?

mirc.com
imesh.com

A torrent is basically a small file. Say you want a Jimmy Buffet song. You download the torrent, and you download a program that uses torrents. When the torrent program is open, it will download the Jimmy Buffet song from anyone who has the specific torrent file on the internet.

Marklar MM
09-23-2005, 02:59 PM
As many probably know, mIRC is probably the way to go as of right now. http://www.mirc.com . It has viruses and shit, but you can avoid if you don't type anything that people want you to(such as "To download from this channel, type the following : /(***@90xdf8asdjfv8sx". It is usually a command for a trojan virus or something similar to download to your comp) You have to go to a site such as http://www.packetnews.com to find files, or if you know how, you can look in channels for files. The files held on packetnews include such things as... (Adobe Photoshop CS2 full, Macromedia Dreamweaver MX full, Macromedia Flash MX Full, Autodesk Autocad full, Cinema Craft Encoder, etc etc. Also included are full games for PS2, XBox, PC, Phone, Ringtones, Full movies-Dvdrips, xvids, cams, tc, ts, full cds). I love this program. It is my savior.

bigzak25
09-23-2005, 03:06 PM
okay, that's cool...but i want to know what pay sites are good, cuz frankly, i agree that an artist should be paid for his work, but i want to pay minimum, cuz those same artists put out CD's with 8 or 9 shitty tracks for every good track. That's what people are tired of. If you only got 4 good songs, put out a $4.99 cd, or a $9.99 cd, remix the shit, whatever...don't put crap on your albulm and more people will buy it.

anyhow, yeah, i want to stay away from viruses and want to be alble to download music without it being cutoff in the middle of the song...and what's a good place to ge music with just the background tracks? no words...i'm in the market...thanks! :tu

mouse
09-23-2005, 04:29 PM
ok enough with the pay sites, where are the free sites :smokin

MannyIsGod
09-23-2005, 04:31 PM
I didn't use those programs. I use Bitlord.

Shelly
09-23-2005, 04:33 PM
As many probably know, mIRC is probably the way to go as of right now. http://www.mirc.com . It has viruses and shit, but you can avoid if you don't type anything that people want you to(such as "To download from this channel, type the following : /(***@90xdf8asdjfv8sx". It is usually a command for a trojan virus or something similar to download to your comp) You have to go to a site such as http://www.packetnews.com to find files, or if you know how, you can look in channels for files. The files held on packetnews include such things as... (Adobe Photoshop CS2 full, Macromedia Dreamweaver MX full, Macromedia Flash MX Full, Autodesk Autocad full, Cinema Craft Encoder, etc etc. Also included are full games for PS2, XBox, PC, Phone, Ringtones, Full movies-Dvdrips, xvids, cams, tc, ts, full cds). I love this program. It is my savior.

That's what my husband uses

mouse
09-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I didn't use those programs. I use Bitlord.

Pssssssssst! I got the WinMx link from you last year :smokin

JoeChalupa
09-23-2005, 04:40 PM
I got the link from Mouse.

JoeChalupa
09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Does anybody still buy original, non-bootleg CD's anymore?

Am I the only one still a member of Columbia House and BMG?

Smackie Chan
09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
12 CDs for 1 cent? Thats to much :lmao

I love Columbia House and BMG? You can get Bob Dylan for 1 cent if you buy 4 Carpenter

Cds at regualr price,

MannyIsGod
09-23-2005, 04:52 PM
We still buy cds.

Spurminator
09-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I still buy CDs at about the same rate I always have... There's nothing quite like tearing the plastic off a new CD and looking at the insert while you listen to the album for the first time.

That said, I download 4x the amount of music I buy.

Smackie Chan
09-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Manny how many CD's you have? last time I could not sit in your car it was full. are they bootleg?

Fonzie
09-24-2005, 09:14 AM
I listen to 45's.

Samr
09-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Ares is my god

Horry For 3!
09-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Ares is my god
I have Ares Galaxy Classic, good shit.

Looter
09-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't pay for shit!

Spam
09-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I just borrow cd's from my friends and never return them.