PDA

View Full Version : Rasual Butler

coachmac87
01-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Will we ever see what he has? He's got size decent defender and can shoot the 3 and unlike Danny can put it on the floor. Not saying he should start but I dunno if you can trust Anderson or Simmons in the PO.

Thoughts

dabom
01-26-2016, 11:00 PM
We shouldn't give an old guy minutes.

Nathan89
01-26-2016, 11:04 PM
Now that Mills is recognized as unplayable vs the Warriors having another shooter on the court is a must.

Capt Bringdown
01-26-2016, 11:04 PM
36 year old journeyman. Garbage player.

SouthernFried
01-26-2016, 11:11 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people watch the same games as I do.

Butler has shown he can still have an impact. He has looked damn good out there. I don't care about next year. What can we do right now?

phxspurfan
01-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Now that Mills is recognized as unplayable vs the Warriors having another shooter on the court is a must.

Mills was ok. The effort and speed is there. Some minor tweaks per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHCUKRjT_OA

sasaint
01-27-2016, 12:09 AM
Will we ever see what he has? He's got size decent defender and can shoot the 3 and unlike Danny can put it on the floor. Not saying he should start but I dunno if you can trust Anderson or Simmons in the PO.

Thoughts

Against the Dubs, I AM saying he should start. Bench Danny. Start Kawhi at the 2 and Butler at the 3. Kawhi on Klay - advantage Spurs. Butler on Barnes - advantage Spurs. Tony on Curry - advantage Dubs, but Curry is forced to guard Tony.

SAGirl
01-27-2016, 12:24 AM

Thoughts
He's played well, but Pop subs him as a 4 mostly. He's slow moving laterally and going through screens is very much trouble. He's been mostly a stretch 4 and a 3 (and that for short minutes). His best asset other than shot making (and that is streaky) is that he doesn't make many mistakes. He's a vet, and he won't pull Danny like TO, and he's not a youngster still trying to find his game like Anderson, and he won't be fouling or TO like Simmons so he is a positive. But if he's not making shots, he will literally be a nonfactor at times. One of those guys I guess you can try and see if they have their shot going.

Anderson is not in the regular rotation, and he only gets development minutes. Rasual also plays garbage time, and he doesn't need to develop.

If you want to give him minutes they have to come from Simmons/Green and Rasual is not a SG, nor can he check SG.

SAGirl
01-27-2016, 12:29 AM

Butler has shown he can still have an impact. He has looked damn good out there. I don't care about next year. What can we do right now?
You have to recognize what you are watching though.
He's an undersized stretch 4 at this point in his career.
For him to get those minutes one of our better big men has to be injured like right now with Tim. Even then you can only get away with him for only so many minutes.

Pop tried him earlier in the season and his shot went cold. Literally was at 20% from 3 before a recent string of 3 games. When he's like that, he doesn't help much.

To me, he's a situational player like Pop has played him.

TrainOfThought5
01-27-2016, 12:58 AM

With a name like southernfried its no surprise youre cookin up some great posts.

TrainOfThought5
01-27-2016, 01:01 AM
You have to recognize what you are watching though.
He's an undersized stretch 4 at this point in his career.
For him to get those minutes one of our better big men has to be injured like right now with Tim. Even then you can only get away with him for only so many minutes.

Pop tried him earlier in the season and his shot went cold. Literally was at 20% from 3 before a recent string of 3 games. When he's like that, he doesn't help much.

To me, he's a situational player like Pop has played him.

He can play the 3 and guard the 3 as long as he isnt running around a million screens. He needs playoff PT because Kyle and Simmons just arent ready for the big dance and im not letting Tim walk out of that door light a ring because snot nosed fresh faced players cant handle the big time off the bench. Rasual butler is for the now. And we need a now solution.

SAGirl
01-27-2016, 01:07 AM
He can play the 3 and guard the 3 as long as he isnt running around a million screens. He needs playoff PT because Kyle and Simmons just arent ready for the big dance and im not letting Tim walk out of that door light a ring because snot nosed fresh faced players cant handle the big time off the bench. Rasual butler is for the now. And we need a now solution.

We will see what Pop thinks tomorrow. Butler definitely has gas in the tank. I doubt he takes Simmons minutes though. Pop is quite taken with Simmons. Maybe Danny's, but Danny is already short on minutes and the kind of guys Danny defends Rasual can't handle.

If Pop wants to play Rasual he has to promote Simmons to starter and bench Danny for a game.

Chinook
01-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Nah, Butler may well play tomorrow to guard folks like Terrance Jones or Josh Smith. His biggest regular-season contribution to the team has been his shot-blocking. He has a knack for it, and having more rim protection out there is only a good thing, especially as the Spurs are trying to figure out how to match up against small-ball.

littlecoyotecoin
01-27-2016, 09:28 AM

People saw him get off to a bad shooting start and couldn't see beyond it.

SAGirl
01-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Nah, Butler may well play tomorrow to guard folks like Terrance Jones or Josh Smith. His biggest regular-season contribution to the team has been his shot-blocking. He has a knack for it, and having more rim protection out there is only a good thing, especially as the Spurs are trying to figure out how to match up against small-ball.
Good point. Most of his blocks are on help defense. He's aware of where to be. I hope he keeps his hot streak shooting.

daledondale
01-27-2016, 10:38 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254131&highlight=iglesia