PDA

View Full Version : ESPN True Hoop podcast: Spurs lost because "It's all in the math"

DenialTwist
01-27-2016, 08:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=14660482

Kevin Arnovitz and Ethan Strauss talk about the spurs/warriors aftermath. Arnovitz says no one can stop Curry and warriors. They have too many playmakers, a great passing big and defensive wings. Strauss says "what can you do about Tony Parker?" you can't hide him anywhere, basically saying he is not useful against the warriors. He also says he talked to a Curry rep before the game and he predicted that the spurs would lose in a blowout because "it's all in the math" meaning that the warriors shoot more threes and the spurs shoot more twos and they wouldn't be able to keep up, in pace and points. Strauss says Kawhi isn't a lockdown defender versus Curry and cannot shut him down like he does other players and he shouldn't have guarded Curry because Curry figured him out.

Strauss says warriors front office is "clearing the runway" for a Kevin Durant free agency signing, they're willing to replace Ezeli and Barnes for KD. (Warriors having three of the best shooters in the NBA is just unfair lol).

Arnovitz says Curry is already being considered top 5 all time because he is having the greatest statistical season as a guard. Strauss says it's better than Jordan in terms of true shooting percentage.

Robz4000
01-27-2016, 09:04 PM
tl;dr slurp slurp slurp

We get it, the Warriors are good

weebo
01-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a lot of bullshitting to me...

DPG21920
01-27-2016, 09:12 PM
GS deserves any and all praise. But :lmao "willing to lose Barnes/Ez for Durant". No sh*t!

BillMc
01-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Durant won't come there if they win the title this year. Big players like to be the difference makers and "last piece of the puzzle".

cjw
01-27-2016, 09:32 PM
OKC has to be willing to trade with GS for them to get Durant, or a bunch of teams with cap space have to allow for trades into that cap space.

If I'm OKC, it has to be more than Barnes (who I'm going to have to pay a lot!) and Ezeli. More like Klay or Draymond and then some, otherwise I tell them to pound sand and I'll go grab better players than Barnes + Ezeli in FA with the space created by Durant walking.

Dumb speculation.

ElNono
01-27-2016, 09:33 PM
http://www.espnfrontrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hollinger2.jpg

RD2191
01-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Crofl @ Curry figuring out Kawhi. That was Curry's first big game against Kawhi.

Uriel
01-28-2016, 12:30 AM
"Analysts" drawing sweeping conclusions from one game :rolleyes

Why is Strauss even being taken seriously in discussions like these? He's a Warriors fan. Obviously, he can't be counted on to look at this from an objective perspective.

Nathan89
01-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Nobody can guard Curry. He's too good off ball. Too good using screens with the ball. And the Warriors are too good at getting away with illegal screens.

itzsoweezee
01-28-2016, 12:40 AM

Why is Strauss even being taken seriously in discussions like these? He's a Warriors fan. Obviously, he can't be counted on to look at this from an objective perspective.

He also wanted GS to trade Thompson for Kevin Love. He's a hack, but got lucky when Kerr fell into playing Draymond when DLee when down with injury last year. Gotdamn, all this could have been avoided if Lee had just stayed healthy.

Baseline21
01-28-2016, 12:41 AM
Ok they say he's the greatest shooter and maybe the greatest player ever but still wasn't named NBA finals mvp. A guy named delladova was keeping him in check for 3 games but Kawhi was going toe to toe with the king in his 3rd year to win finals mvp. Kawhi had foul trouble in the first 2 games and then pop talked to him and pounded his chest and became a monster. We get steph is good but come on with top 5 all time. He's not even on Duncan's block.

YGWHI
01-28-2016, 12:43 AM
The next game against Warriors is a home game? I'd love to hear what these ESPN guys will say after the Spurs win it...

itzsoweezee
01-28-2016, 12:51 AM
It had nothing to do with math. They only had six extra points off three pointers. They simply had a lot more shots (turnovers), shot with great accuracy, and played awesome defense.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2016, 12:53 AM
It had nothing to do with math. They only had six extra points off three pointers. They simply had a lot more shots (turnovers), shot with great accuracy, and played awesome defense.

Ya, they scored 32 points off turnovers and 53 points in the paint IIRC:lol..

Spurtacular
01-28-2016, 01:29 AM
Sounds like a lot of bullshitting to me...

tmtcsc
01-28-2016, 01:50 AM

A lot of the same coming from this forum too. One friggin game and the Spurs can't hang with the almighty Warriors. GMAFB Do people really think that GS is that much better? That they destroyed the Spurs because they are just that good? Damn. I hope we lose every fucking regular season game to them and kick their asses in the playoffs. Would love to see the Spurs as massive under-dogs toppling the untouchables. :lobt2:

TheDoctor
01-28-2016, 08:11 AM
DenialTwist has a fetish with the Golden Showers tbh. You look back at all his post and they're all Worriers related. :wakeup

spursistan
01-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Strauss couldn't wait any longer to act like the typical Warriorsworld homer he is :lmao..Curry first huge game in eons vs the Spurs, ffs..not even a pretense of nuance from this dickhead..

ESPN hiring blogger fans to be beat writers :lol..

703 Spurz
01-28-2016, 12:43 PM
OKC has to be willing to trade with GS for them to get Durant, or a bunch of teams with cap space have to allow for trades into that cap space.

If I'm OKC, it has to be more than Barnes (who I'm going to have to pay a lot!) and Ezeli. More like Klay or Draymond and then some, otherwise I tell them to pound sand and I'll go grab better players than Barnes + Ezeli in FA with the space created by Durant walking.

Dumb speculation.

Why the fuck would OKC trade Durant to the best team in the league?

bklynspursfan
01-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Good try. Good effort...

MaNu4Tres
01-28-2016, 01:03 PM
None of this matters.

Not sure why people waste hours of their day listening to opinions that mean absolutely nothing.

cjw
01-28-2016, 01:13 PM
Why the fuck would OKC trade Durant to the best team in the league?

His rationale was that if Durant is leaving anyway, and he chooses GS, then they might as well get something for him.

But it's a stupid premise. GS would have to clear cap room, and why would OKC be the team that enables it unless they get a king's ransom for it? Other teams would request significant pieces too though all it takes is one asshole owner who takes on Bogut and other salary for a first rounder.

If Durant were to then walk, they would have his cap savings to spend on other players instead of overpaying friggen Harrison Barnes.

RD2191
01-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Tbh

JeffDuncan
01-28-2016, 02:22 PM
kawhi shouldn't be guarding curry duh

You are absolutely correct, of course. Putting Kawhi on Curry is stupid.

J_Paco
01-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Ya, they scored 32 points off turnovers and 53 points in the paint IIRC:lol..

Yeah, but the "analysts" claimed we can't beat them do to "trading two's for three's" not because of turning over the ball an ungodly amount (24) and giving up an absurd 53 PIT. Spurs need to do a better job of taking care of the ball and stopping those easy backdoor plays.

They either play Steph 94 feet most of the game trying to slow him down (only use during WCF, TBH), but they can always go to Green to bring the ball up, or you let him get his and focus on slowing down or stopping his teammates. Spurs did neither one during the last game and gone embrassed because of that.....

ceperez
01-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Spurs attempted 23 3 points shots against the Rockets, 9 more than against the Warriors.

Spurs scored 130 points, this is the first time this season the Spurs have scored more than 123 points.

In short, if you don't take those 3's, then you aren't going to win against the Dubs who will take those 3's.

spurs10
01-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Kawhi didn't guard Curry last Monday except for a brief time. We'll see how he does when we aren't turning the ball over every play and Mills and TP aren't on him. Kawhi had about 7 steals in the last game we played against them last season and was soon voted the Defensive Player of the Year.

Rain Man
01-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Last year last year last year

Last year they lost too. They couldn't even defeat the overhyped CP3 and the monkeyballer. If ifs were fifths we'd all be drunk. You were blessed with the gift to see the future this past Monday. Curry made a mockery of the leagues "best" defense. Then, to show that he is not above his team (which he really is), he sat out the 3rd and delighted in the play of his disciples. A very humble and gracious winner.