PDA

View Full Version : TD's Knee Watch

SAGirl
01-28-2016, 09:00 PM
So I wanted to find sasaint (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=12242) thread about TD a few days back, but couldn't find it easily.

TD has missed 2 games. We are 1-1 in them.
It will be interesting to watch the big rotations because they are likely to be matchup based and there could be real development time for Boban and Anderson. The heavy lifting will have to be done by Lamarcus. When he shows up like he did against Houston, we have a good chance. If he goes missing its a bad place to be. We have no other "center" than him and Boban at this point.

I thought more ppl would be concerned about the state of affairs with us entering a tough schedule with Cleveland coming up.

TrainOfThought5
01-28-2016, 09:02 PM
These two games felt like shit without Tim (even the blowout)...

I'm not ready for life after Tim.

TrainOfThought5
01-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Also... I miss Baynes.

dabom
01-28-2016, 09:03 PM
We could have still lost vs the Warriors with Tim. And I'm probably sure Tim has missed more games than that.

SAGirl
01-28-2016, 09:07 PM
We could have still lost vs the Warriors with Tim. And I'm probably sure Tim has missed more games than that.
He has been strategically resting before which is different from this knee issue.
We could have lost against GSW anyways, but that was not a strategic rest. Neither was HOU.

If you are not concerned that is fine... but this is an unknown state of events in that we are going into a tough stretch coming up without him.

dabom
01-28-2016, 09:14 PM
He has been strategically resting before which is different from this knee issue.
We could have lost against GSW anyways, but that was not a strategic rest. Neither was HOU.

If you are not concerned that is fine... but this is an unknown state of events in that we are going into a tough stretch coming up without him.

We don't know if those other rests were strategic or not either. He could have actually had pain and didn't play and now it could have gotten worse to where he needs extended rest because it didn't get better. I'm not saying there isn't a problem. Just show the full win loss without Tim.

Robz4000
01-28-2016, 09:29 PM
The fact they haven't released any MRI results and Tim is in good spirits makes me think it isn't that serious and he might be back sooner rather than later. However, this is somewhat similar to Kawhi's hand injury last year where they couldn't figure out the issue and he missed loads of time. FWIW I'd sit Tim until after the ASG; Spurs will have a good chance to win in every game (sans against NO who would beat the Spurs regardless if Timmy played).

dabom
01-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Rest Tim. I want him super healthy for the playoffs.

ceperez
01-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Tim needs a lot of rest. Just look at his stats. He was playing his best way back in November.

Russ
01-28-2016, 09:51 PM
These two games felt like shit without Tim (even the blowout)...

I'm not ready for life after Tim.

Yeah!

Also... I miss Baynes.

For a minute there, you had me going . . .

Kikoluna
01-28-2016, 09:51 PM
He's fine, just resting him

wingster
01-28-2016, 09:56 PM
I predict he'll be back after all-star.

littlecoyotecoin
01-28-2016, 09:56 PM
I was winning five championships...then I took an arrow to the knee.

Nathan89
01-28-2016, 10:09 PM
I wish him a swimmingly recovery.

skulls138
01-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Its all part of the plan guys....all part of the plan.

turb0time
01-28-2016, 10:35 PM
I was winning five championships...then I took an arrow to the knee.

lmao. SkyTim!

sasaint
01-28-2016, 11:24 PM
So I wanted to find sasaint (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=12242) thread about TD a few days back, but couldn't find it easily.

TD has missed 2 games. We are 1-1 in them.
It will be interesting to watch the big rotations because they are likely to be matchup based and there could be real development time for Boban and Anderson. The heavy lifting will have to be done by Lamarcus. When he shows up like he did against Houston, we have a good chance. If he goes missing its a bad place to be. We have no other "center" than him and Boban at this point.

I thought more ppl would be concerned about the state of affairs with us entering a tough schedule with Cleveland coming up.

I posted several comments in the Spurs/Lakers game thread about how he looked injured. Is that what you are talking about? Or is it the thread I started about Tim Duncan's farewell tour?

Russo21
01-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Hope the man is ok. At first I thought his DNP-Knee was kinda bullshit to avoid getting penalised for too many 'DNP-Rest and DNP-Old' as which happened when Stern was around. Time to get back to his roots and get back in the pool for Tim, start swimming and keep his fitness and stamina up. No impact exercise and bring him back around at his own pace. We need him as healthy as possible for the playoffs! Hopefully his soon to be 40 year old knees are ok!

SAGirl
01-28-2016, 11:40 PM
I posted several comments in the Spurs/Lakers game thread about how he looked injured. Is that what you are talking about? Or is it the thread I started about Tim Duncan's farewell tour?
The farewell tour... bc that had discussion about his play honestly having declined sharply for a few games, and he looked poor against the Lakers. After that we got news he was being rested, and everyone assumed the token CIA POP line, but its now clear that was not token CIA line, so I wanted to keep the discussion in the same thread, but I could not find it (I forgot what it was called, you just reminded me.)

But this discussion is in the same vein. What was a previous observation we were chatting about has turned into a real knee issue, which is unknown considering Timmy's age and his lack of the other knee. I don't know. I am a bit uneasy.

sasaint
01-29-2016, 12:01 AM
The farewell tour... bc that had discussion about his play honestly having declined sharply for a few games, and he looked poor against the Lakers. After that we got news he was being rested, and everyone assumed the token CIA POP line, but its now clear that was not token CIA line, so I wanted to keep the discussion in the same thread, but I could not find it (I forgot what it was called, you just reminded me.)

But this discussion is in the same vein. What was a previous observation we were chatting about has turned into a real knee issue, which is unknown considering Timmy's age and his lack of the other knee. I don't know. I am a bit uneasy.

Join the club. I was uneasy watching him against the Lakers. But, in fairness, he did look upbeat on the bench during the Rockets game. I do not believe that this is CIA Pop at all - no way. Nor is it mere "rest." I believe Tim's knee is the most "impaired" it has been his entire career, and it is causing serious pain. I pray for his quick recovery.

SAGirl
01-29-2016, 12:19 AM
Join the club. I was uneasy watching him against the Lakers. But, in fairness, he did look upbeat on the bench during the Rockets game. I do not believe that this is CIA Pop at all - no way. Nor is it mere "rest." I believe Tim's knee is the most "impaired" it has been his entire career, and it is causing serious pain. I pray for his quick recovery.
He did look very engaged and happy for his teammates but that is Timmy.

I looked at the schedule and after the Cleveland game we have some teams we should be able to win against, but there can't be any loafing by Lamarcus and the team's stars. Boban and Anderson are developing, but any good play they give us contributing to wins is gravy this season bc we were not counting on them. None are any kind of defensive stalwarts, but are serviceable at this point. Kyle is young and it is encouraging that he is getting better.

Could be the last season though with the good knee like it is. Pop is absolutely not going to risk him.

LMA had 5 assists last game and he was in Timmy's role, making plays from the high post. He's obviously not the passer TD is, but I thought he stepped up. I wish Kyle would get some more time with the starters even if it is the token 10-15 mins so they get rhythm together. Seeing them play as a unit, Kyle made it look easy, but he's got little playing time with those guys overall. I thought he filled in well. For the teams with two bigs you can go LMA/West and then Boban/Diaw. . . sit Kyle out for garbage time.

Still hoping TD rests and recovers well. There is a life after basketball too. I tend to think this is the farewell tour, but I don't want to bring a bad omen.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-29-2016, 01:32 AM
Rest him until after the ASB. Feb 18th. Would be about a whole month of rest. Just hope whatever he has on his knee can heal with rest.

tmtcsc
01-29-2016, 01:44 AM
His knee is hurting him. My guess is its probably the same trouble he suffers in his left knee. Many years of wear and tear. I hope he gets better soon and won't be surprised if he's put on IR for a spell.

Darius McCrary
01-29-2016, 01:45 AM
We're fucked

cjw
01-29-2016, 02:01 AM
We're fucked

Something doesn't feel right this time around. When the knees go, they go fast and go for good.

Hopefully this is them being extra cautious.

daslicer
01-29-2016, 02:17 AM
I think he will play in the playoffs but he can't play a full year with the way his knees are. He will get them drained and go for one last run and this will be it that's what I suspect.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-29-2016, 02:24 AM
Marjanovic!

Spurs 4 The Win
01-29-2016, 04:01 AM
Something doesn't feel right this time around. When the knees go, they go fast and go for good.

Hopefully this is them being extra cautious.

I think he will play in the playoffs but he can't play a full year with the way his knees are. He will get them drained and go for one last run and this will be it that's what I suspect.

Lmfao, everyone is a fucking knee doctor all of a sudden. Yall need to chill out :lol

DenialTwist
01-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Bonner was on SiriusXM NBA radio and he said it was a precautionary thing.

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/692792926146031618

littlecoyotecoin
01-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Impossible. Haven't you read this thread? We already have a diagnosis of kneectomy.

benefactor
01-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Impossible. Haven't you read this thread? We already have a diagnosis of kneectomy.
Doctor said I need a backiotomy

hater
01-29-2016, 08:46 AM
Sure wheel is falling out but he should be playable in the playoffs. That's all we need. He doesn't need to play another regular season game IMO

daslicer
01-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Lmfao, everyone is a fucking knee doctor all of a sudden. Yall need to chill out :lol

Sounds like you are the one stressing out over whats going on. Duncan is my favorite player of all time I have been following him since his sophomore year at Wake Forest. With that being said I'm at peace with whatever happens to him from this point forward. If he's healthy enough to play out this year great if not that's also fine.

Seventyniner
01-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Take your time tightening those lugnuts, Tim. Maybe a second Punisher knee brace?

NameLess Scrub
01-29-2016, 09:22 AM
As long as he can contribute in the playoffs that's OK.

Spurs will need him. I think we're probably looking at his last season right here.
Hope he can play in the POs and leave with #6.

I'm even looking at my options for games. I've never watched him live and I've probably missed the chance.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-29-2016, 09:29 AM
As long as he can contribute in the playoffs that's OK.

Spurs will need him. I think we're probably looking at his last season right here.
Hope he can play in the POs and leave with #6.

I'm even looking at my options for games. I've never watched him live and I've probably missed the chance.

He misses two games and its probably his last season?

MultiTroll
01-29-2016, 09:30 AM

Thank you.

NameLess Scrub
01-29-2016, 09:38 AM

He's 40 with bad knees. I don't think he can come back from that if he's hurt now.
I expect him to retire after this season if the injury is somewhat serious and his production drops.

He won't get to Kobe levels of play.

It's just a feeling of course...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-29-2016, 09:39 AM

Tim's fine, I guarantee you that. The Spurs have huge breaks between games this past two weeks. And after the next week the All-star break. Tim is just resting up for the Rodeo Road trip. The whole knee thing is the fact the Spurs have to provide the league with some evidence of an injury if he is missing a bunch of games.

This gives guys like KA, Butler, Boban more playing time to develop in the system. And another reason I think Pop and Duncan are doing this is so LMA will start self actualizing as a player. LMA led the Spurs to a crushing defeat of the Rockets. Spurs are going to need LMA to play like that if they are going to get past the Warriors and OKC. This also requires Kawhi to step up as a leader on the floor as well.

Outside of the Warriors, the Spurs are looking good post Duncan, which I don't even really want to think about at this point. 8-1 without Duncan this season.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-29-2016, 09:39 AM
He's 40 with bad knees. I don't think he can come back from that if he's hurt now.
I expect him to retire after this season if the injury is somewhat serious and his production drops.

Bonner just said it was precautionary. Im sure he will be fine.

NameLess Scrub
01-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Bonner just said it was precautionary. Im sure he will be fine.

Hope so

Russo21
01-29-2016, 09:55 AM
This turn of events has Duncan hanging up his boots for good at the end of this season unfortunately. He’s bad knee has pretty much been dead for a decade, now his good knee is causing issues. Rest rehab rest rehab rest rehab, come back a few weeks before the end of the regular season to get in game shape for the playoffs and try get every ounce of energy and strength he can muster to play playoff basketball.

This team has offense everywhere, he just has to be in the right spots on offense and score when the ball comes to him and concentrate 100% on being a beast on defence and rebounding. His offense is not needed we have LMA, Kawhi, TP, Green, Manu, Mills, Bobo, West and the athletic Simmons and Butler can all score . As long as he is as close as possible to healthy come the playoffs he should focus on rebounding and defence greatly. Go out with a fucken bang and win the Chip. Retire at 6.

2003 all over again: An aging great David Robinson was on his last legs (last back really) and the young MVP Powered the old man and the 2 newbies tony and manu to the title.

2016 same as 03: An aging great Tim Duncan on his last legs just as David Robinson was, tony and Manu are slowing down but are now being backed up by All Star and MVP DPOY Candidate Kawhi Leonard, one of the best PF’s of the last 10 years in LMA, and a list of other guys that makes this squad a great TEAM.

Tim Duncan would never announce an early retirement so he can have a farewell tour like Kobe. One day you’ll look and he’ll be gone, just a memory and unfortunately that day may come in June. It will only start to sink in again in November when the team starts a new season without Tim Duncan for the first time in 20 years.

This is the last run for the Godfather, let’s hope his body can hang in there so he can back up superstars Kawhi, LMA and the rest of the team and win number 6. Go Tim and go the Spurs! Ride Kawhi and LMA, play great team basketball offensively and defensively and go get 6!

Go on a holiday with your 40 year old body, take along your 6 championship trophies and chill baby, chill on a beach in the Virgin Islands. Come back and be an assistant coach to the kids and teach these youngsters all you know. I always thought Tim would sail off into the sunset after retirement never to be seen again. But lately I get the impression that he will be manning the sidelines in San Antonio well after retirement playing with the Spurs. It’s been a hell of a ride. Rest up and enjoy the Godfathers last run.

Unlike when most greats retire the team turns to shit. Magic with LA, Bird with Boston, Jordan with the Bulls etc. The Spurs aren’t going to go down that road like many thought. We have rebuilt at the same time we’ve been preparing to retire some guys. One good offseason acquisition and we’re right back in the title hunt with the new big 3, Kawhi, LMA and … ? Who is it gonna be!? Watch out for the Spurs when they have 6 and Tim and Manu are gone. This team is never going away!

Spurs 4 The Win
01-29-2016, 11:04 AM
This turn of events has Duncan hanging up his boots for good at the end of this season unfortunately. He’s bad knee has pretty much been dead for a decade, now his good knee is causing issues. Rest rehab rest rehab rest rehab, come back a few weeks before the end of the regular season to get in game shape for the playoffs and try get every ounce of energy and strength he can muster to play playoff basketball.

This team has offense everywhere, he just has to be in the right spots on offense and score when the ball comes to him and concentrate 100% on being a beast on defence and rebounding. His offense is not needed we have LMA, Kawhi, TP, Green, Manu, Mills, Bobo, West and the athletic Simmons and Butler can all score . As long as he is as close as possible to healthy come the playoffs he should focus on rebounding and defence greatly. Go out with a fucken bang and win the Chip. Retire at 6.

2003 all over again: An aging great David Robinson was on his last legs (last back really) and the young MVP Powered the old man and the 2 newbies tony and manu to the title.

2016 same as 03: An aging great Tim Duncan on his last legs just as David Robinson was, tony and Manu are slowing down but are now being backed up by All Star and MVP DPOY Candidate Kawhi Leonard, one of the best PF’s of the last 10 years in LMA, and a list of other guys that makes this squad a great TEAM.

Tim Duncan would never announce an early retirement so he can have a farewell tour like Kobe. One day you’ll look and he’ll be gone, just a memory and unfortunately that day may come in June. It will only start to sink in again in November when the team starts a new season without Tim Duncan for the first time in 20 years.

This is the last run for the Godfather, let’s hope his body can hang in there so he can back up superstars Kawhi, LMA and the rest of the team and win number 6. Go Tim and go the Spurs! Ride Kawhi and LMA, play great team basketball offensively and defensively and go get 6!

Go on a holiday with your 40 year old body, take along your 6 championship trophies and chill baby, chill on a beach in the Virgin Islands. Come back and be an assistant coach to the kids and teach these youngsters all you know. I always thought Tim would sail off into the sunset after retirement never to be seen again. But lately I get the impression that he will be manning the sidelines in San Antonio well after retirement playing with the Spurs. It’s been a hell of a ride. Rest up and enjoy the Godfathers last run.

Unlike when most greats retire the team turns to shit. Magic with LA, Bird with Boston, Jordan with the Bulls etc. The Spurs aren’t going to go down that road like many thought. We have rebuilt at the same time we’ve been preparing to retire some guys. One good offseason acquisition and we’re right back in the title hunt with the new big 3, Kawhi, LMA and … ? Who is it gonna be!? Watch out for the Spurs when they have 6 and Tim and Manu are gone. This team is never going away!

What turn of events? Precautionary rest?

Seventyniner
01-29-2016, 01:27 PM
What turn of events? Precautionary rest?

An acute attack of pessismism on the part of one fan. Devastating.

SAGirl
01-29-2016, 01:29 PM

Thanks for sharing that is good news. Nothing season ending but if it was, they would have said something.

T Park
01-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Its precautionary in that the knee really is sore, and you only have to look at the last week where he played. he looked "off". You wouldn't MRI and rehab a meh sore knee.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-29-2016, 02:20 PM
TOSB.

spursistan
01-29-2016, 03:59 PM

Feb 1 vs Orlando
Feb 3 vs New Orleans
Feb 5 @ Dallas
Feb 6 vs Lakers

Rodeo trip starts on Feb 9th @ Miami..I would rest him until then, if it still bothering him i would shut him down until after ALL-STAR BREAK..

Old School 44
01-29-2016, 04:12 PM
A little cumbersome, but it looks good. I like how they integrated it with his Punisher brace. Not sure if it's really functional though, maybe Patty uses it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1577/24327140179_dccdab964c_b.jpg

absoloot66
01-29-2016, 04:49 PM
A little cumbersome, but it looks good. I like how they integrated it with his Punisher brace. Not sure if it's really functional though, maybe Patty uses it.

:lol Only appropriate if the watch is stopped: "Timeless" Tim

Obstructed_View
01-29-2016, 06:34 PM
I think they were undefeated without Duncan until the Dubs game.

SAGirl
01-29-2016, 07:01 PM
I think they were undefeated without Duncan until the Dubs game.
Yes, but the games I thought were strategically selected by Pop. In hindsight, they might have not.
I think as long as Lamarcus brings it we are in a good position to win games.
Our historic defense will probably not be so historic for a few games now.

SnakeBoy
01-29-2016, 07:45 PM
cia tim

That's my feeling. Timmy forcing LaMarcus to take up the reins.

maverick1948
01-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Dont forget we have a player who started 19 games last season for the Spurs. Bonner may not be anyone's first pick to play but he knows what he can do and has been a great help to West and Boban learning the system. Coach Bonner can give us minutes with corporate knowledge. West has made the transition with ease. Boban has had a learning experience that is different from Europe.

Free Boban!!
Free West!!!
Free Bonner!!!!
Free the Spurs and let them run!!!!

SAGirl
01-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Pop trolling:

Mnky
01-29-2016, 09:46 PM
I had Been posting about Tim's condition during game threads, because he just seemed off to me. His persona wasn't the same ol Tim. Maybe this Injury is what it was about. I really hope he is good to go later in the season, but it's actually really good for the team to play without him to learn more about themselves. I miss Timmys passing with the first unit. Spurs won't go far against the elite teams missing easy buckets all the Time and without Tim, there were so many missed opportunities without a playmaker.

Make it through the season Tim, carry us to one more!

Mnky
01-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Pop trolling:

That was a great answer. :lol

Mnky
01-29-2016, 09:49 PM

That's awesome but incredibly depressing at the same time..

Mel_13
01-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Probably won't play until after the AS break. Rest up, Timmy.

GSH
01-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Probably won't play until after the AS break. Rest up, Timmy.

That's what I'm thinking. If he sits out until after the AS break, he will have had a whole month off, with the exception of 21 minutes against the Lakers.

Thomas82
01-30-2016, 12:13 AM
Tim's fine, I guarantee you that. The Spurs have huge breaks between games this past two weeks. And after the next week the All-star break. Tim is just resting up for the Rodeo Road trip. The whole knee thing is the fact the Spurs have to provide the league with some evidence of an injury if he is missing a bunch of games.

This gives guys like KA, Butler, Boban more playing time to develop in the system. And another reason I think Pop and Duncan are doing this is so LMA will start self actualizing as a player. LMA led the Spurs to a crushing defeat of the Rockets. Spurs are going to need LMA to play like that if they are going to get past the Warriors and OKC. This also requires Kawhi to step up as a leader on the floor as well.

Outside of the Warriors, the Spurs are looking good post Duncan, which I don't even really want to think about at this point. 8-1 without Duncan this season.

+1

cjw
01-30-2016, 12:28 AM
No different than older pitchers getting shut down until mid season so his arm's not dead come October. Except in this case, it's not like the team even has to fight for a playoff spot like in baseball where it's tighter to make the postseason. Worst case at this point is the 3 seed ... 9 up on the Clippers and 13 on Memphis in the loss column. Assuming they go .500 (would be very unlikely) Spurs still get to 57 wins, while the Clippers would have to go 27-9 to catch them.

Rest him up and anyone else who needs it. The team is deep enough so that it can rest multiple guys and remain competitive.

objective
01-30-2016, 03:44 AM
I did notice during the during either the LA game or his previous that it looked like he had trouble standing from the bench. It was during a highlight dunk by either Boban or Simmons, and normally Duncan would get up to cheer the guys on, and does so by putting each hand on the leg of the guys next to him to help post against to raise himself, but in the particular instance I'm thinking of her put both hands on legs and started trying to get up, but just kind of gave up and sat back down.

Could be nothing, could even be my imagination. But I do remember seeing it and wondering if he was okay.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-30-2016, 03:56 AM
No different than older pitchers getting shut down until mid season so his arm's not dead come October. Except in this case, it's not like the team even has to fight for a playoff spot like in baseball where it's tighter to make the postseason. Worst case at this point is the 3 seed ... 9 up on the Clippers and 13 on Memphis in the loss column. Assuming they go .500 (would be very unlikely) Spurs still get to 57 wins, while the Clippers would have to go 27-9 to catch them.

Rest him up and anyone else who needs it. The team is deep enough so that it can rest multiple guys and remain competitive.

We are a 90% lock for the 2 seed. There is a 5% chance we could move up or down to the 1 or 3. Both would take extraordinary things occurring.

Russo21
01-30-2016, 07:44 AM
An acute attack of pessismism on the part of one fan. Devastating. No pessimism, just realism that he is a soon to be 40 year old man with bad knees playing NBA basketball. As much as we want him to be he won't be around forever.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-30-2016, 07:28 PM
If Dunker is out for the rest of his career, say with a microfracture or an irreparable tear, how would ST react tbh?

ErnestLynch
01-30-2016, 07:48 PM
No different than older pitchers getting shut down until mid season so his arm's not dead come October.

See Jack Morris. 11 inning shutout, I believe, game 7 -vs- Atlanta with the Twins. EPIC last stand for an old man.

In a postseason performance for the ages, the 36-year-old hurler threw 10 innings of shutout baseball against the Braves, as the Twins won the World title on a 10th-inning single by Gene Larkin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Larkin) that scored Dan Gladden (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gladden). Morris was named the World Series MVP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_MVP_Award) for his fantastic performance, and joined fellow pitcher Sandy Koufax (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax) as the only players to win the Babe Ruth Award (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Ruth_Award) twice. He holds the record for most wins by a Twin in a single postseason, with four acquired in 1991.

10 inning shutout...awesome world series. I remember it well.

SAGirl
05-16-2016, 04:20 PM

I had Been posting about Tim's condition during game threads, because he just seemed off to me. His persona wasn't the same ol Tim. Maybe this Injury is what it was about. I really hope he is good to go later in the season, but it's actually really good for the team to play without him to learn more about themselves. I miss Timmys passing with the first unit. Spurs won't go far against the elite teams missing easy buckets all the Time and without Tim, there were so many missed opportunities without a playmaker.

Make it through the season Tim, carry us to one more!
Hindsight, so many guys had already been seeing g the signs of Timmy's decline during the season.

TD 21
05-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Hindsight, so many guys had already been seeing g the signs of Timmy's decline during the season.

We get it. You're not a Duncan fan and are practically foaming at the mouth at the prospect of him retiring.

Next season, when this team inevitably doesn't win the championship, what will you (among others), blame it on then?

SAGirl
05-16-2016, 04:51 PM
I am a team fan and it was noticeable that he wasn't right since midseason. We won't win every season, but you try to get better each year.

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 05:00 PM
I am a team fan and it was noticeable that he wasn't right since midseason. We won't win every season, but you try to get better each year.

I used to think like you so I understand where many are coming from. I too am a team fan and used to think this way. However, I have changed over the past few years. I am fully ok just enjoying DPG being on the team and still being a very competitive team (winning a lot in the regular season with a good shot a WCF). I'm willing to trade off not "improving" for more years of watching DPG play together.

But I would understand fully if the team moves on (but they won't unless Tim/Manu say they are gone, not SA pushing them out)

skulls138
05-16-2016, 05:01 PM
We get it. You're not a Duncan fan and are practically foaming at the mouth at the prospect of him retiring.

Next season, when this team inevitably doesn't win the championship, what will you (among others), blame it on then?So it wasnt just me who was noticing a lack of due respect from SAGirl. We should completely sacrifice a season and not even get a high draft choice for it if TD wants to play ball. My favorite player since Bird.

TD 21
05-16-2016, 05:08 PM
I used to think like you so I understand where many are coming from. I too am a team fan and used to think this way. However, I have changed over the past few years. I am fully ok just enjoying DPG being on the team and still being a very competitive team (winning a lot in the regular season with a good shot a WCF). I'm willing to trade off not "improving" for more years of watching DPG play together.

But I would understand fully if the team moves on (but they won't unless Tim/Manu say they are gone, not SA pushing them out)

She's not a team fan, she's an Anderson fan.

That's what her and a few others don't get. I understand that they probably no longer have a chance at a championship with them, but they definitely won't without them. The intangibles they bring to the table are irreplaceable.

K...
05-16-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm cool with y'alls principled stands if you don't melt down with the inevitable playoffs loss.

Also, I hope the spurs save us the sausage making here. Either announce the resigning (option in) or announce the trade. Don't need the team to explain their choice. They won't. It's not their practice. And we have already discussed the issue. This isn't the Lakers where they lie to you about their outlook to sell tickets. We're not there yet

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 05:15 PM

That's what her and a few others don't get. I understand that they probably no longer have a chance at a championship with them, but they definitely won't without them. The intangibles they bring to the table are irreplaceable.

I don't think that's fair. I think she is a team fan and she is not alone in hoping the Spurs keep pursuing getting better and being a true contender. I would even be fine with that and not mad at all because I am a team fan and that would be exciting.

I'm just saying for this rare moment, I am willing to put aside the team for the players because the team can still be enjoyable and competitive (not a Kobe situation at all). If it were like Kobe, I'd say GTFO, but it's not.

I also think of course it will be impossible to replace Tim/Manu (and TP when that comes) with what they have meant to the franchise and with how talented they were. Unfortunately Tim Duncan's do not grow on trees so we should expect a much more normal franchise up & down because we don't have another Tim anchor to usher in that level of success. However, with where they are at now? I have no doubt basketball wise the team could improve over their level of play.

K...
05-16-2016, 05:20 PM

This is 100% bull shit. Did golden state get these " intangibles" from kerr? Are these intangibles like cooties? Leonard and lma were/are championship talent. It's the rest that determine how far we go.

K...
05-16-2016, 05:23 PM
The meltdown If Duncan opts to return will be micro small.

The meltdown If Manu opts in will be somewhat loud, but fade quickly.

The meltdown when we trot out the new turd tower 3 (say Kyle and caddy) will be hilarious though.

TD 21
05-16-2016, 05:24 PM
I don't think that's fair. I think she is a team fan and she is not alone in hoping the Spurs keep pursuing getting better and being a true contender. I would even be fine with that and not mad at all because I am a team fan and that would be exciting.

I'm just saying for this rare moment, I am willing to put aside the team for the players because the team can still be enjoyable and competitive (not a Kobe situation at all). If it were like Kobe, I'd say GTFO, but it's not.

I also think of course it will be impossible to replace Tim/Manu (and TP when that comes) with what they have meant to the franchise and with how talented they were. Unfortunately Tim Duncan's do not grow on trees so we should expect a much more normal franchise up & down because we don't have another Tim anchor to usher in that level of success. However, with where they are at now? I have no doubt basketball wise the team could improve over their level of play.

Hoping to get better is one thing, but repeatedly trashing the greatest player in franchise history is another.

They could potentially become a more well rounded, versatile team, but they're not winning a championship without them. Right now, they don't have the talent. Without them, they still won't have it, only at that point, they won't have the intangibles either.

This is 100% bull shit. Did golden state get these " intangibles" from kerr? Are these intangibles like cooties? Leonard and lma were/are championship talent. It's the rest that determine how far we go.

As good as Leonard and Aldridge are, they're the worst top two of any of the five elite teams. The Spurs aren't winning a championship unless they can out depth/IQ the other four and that ship has sailed.

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 05:25 PM
This board wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Tim Duncan...tbh

Just my 2 cents I feel the people that want Tim to retire are the younger people who just don't really comprehend what he means for not only the team but the city of San Antonio..

Thr ego stroking and "player fans" are really pathetic because no Spur will ever have the impact that Duncan had in our lifetime.

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Hoping to get better is one thing, but repeatedly trashing the greatest player in franchise history is another.

They could potentially become a more well rounded, versatile team, but they're not winning a championship without them. Right now, they don't have the talent. Without them, they still won't have it, only at that point, they won't have the intangibles either.

I disagree. At this point in their careers, as much as I love them, there are clearly better players than them to be had. Clearly. Spurs weren't that far off with Manu/Tim not really contributing in the playoffs (intangibles or not) and if SA had more productive players, they definitely get past OKC.

It will be a big loss losing them for many reasons but that is more to do with future expectations than short-term play. Losing Tim/Manu hurts because of what they have done and how good they have been in always giving you a chance every year to be a playoff team at worst & contender at best.

Without a Tim and lesser degree Manu/TP, there is no reasonable way to be a playoff team for 20+ years unless you luck out when you are bad and get another Duncan/Lebron type.

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 05:28 PM
This board wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Tim Duncan...tbh

Just my 2 cents I feel the people that want Tim to retire are the younger people who just don't really comprehend what he means for not only the team but the city of San Antonio..

Thr ego stroking and "player fans" are really pathetic because no Spur will ever have the impact that Duncan had in our lifetime.

Well, I think the argument is that if the team can be better with Tim/Manu being gone because they get more productive players, doesn't that make you the player fan because you are choosing Tim/Manu over the team?

I see both sides and there are definitely player fans. I just don't think it's black and white in this situation because Tim is not doing what Kobe did.

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Well, I think the argument is that if the team can be better with Tim/Manu being gone because they get more productive players, doesn't that make you the player fan because you are choosing Tim/Manu over the team?

I see both sides and there are definitely player fans. I just don't think it's black and white in this situation because Tim is not doing what Kobe did.

Better how? I haven't seen ONE legit plan to replace Duncan on this board. He won't hurt us by coming back lol..yes he should play a lesser but we are not a better team without him.

TD 21
05-16-2016, 05:40 PM
I disagree. At this point in their careers, as much as I love them, there are clearly better players than them to be had. Clearly. Spurs weren't that far off with Manu/Tim not really contributing in the playoffs (intangibles or not) and if SA had more productive players, they definitely get past OKC.

It will be a big loss losing them for many reasons but that is more to do with future expectations than short-term play. Losing Tim/Manu hurts because of what they have done and how good they have been in always giving you a chance every year to be a playoff team at worst & contender at best.

Without a Tim and lesser degree Manu/TP, there is no reasonable way to be a playoff team for 20+ years unless you luck out when you are bad and get another Duncan/Lebron type.

It just depends on whether Duncan's knee can recover to the point where he looks like he did early in the season (obviously, none of us know the answer to that). If it can, he's still better than most realistic candidates and Ginobili is probably better than all realistic candidates.

Whether they got past the Thunder or not, they weren't going any further. With what they can realistically do, financially and asset wise, so long as Durant re-signs, I expect the Spurs to drop to fifth out of the five elite, in terms of ability to win the championship.

People who are eager to see Duncan and Ginobili go, are going to be in for a rude awakening in the years to come, when they watch this team inevitably repeatedly come up short short against the elite, in the playoffs. I'm not suggesting it would be any different with them, at this point, but that's just it: It's not going to get better.

MaNu4Tres
05-16-2016, 05:49 PM
It just depends on whether Duncan's knee can recover to the point where he looks like he did early in the season (obviously, none of us know the answer to that). If it can, he's still better than most realistic candidates and Ginobili is probably better than all realistic candidates.

Whether they got past the Thunder or not, they weren't going any further. With what they can realistically do, financially and asset wise, so long as Durant re-signs, I expect the Spurs to drop to fifth out of the five elite, in terms of ability to win the championship.

People who are eager to see Duncan and Ginobili go, are going to be in for a rude awakening in the years to come, when they watch this team inevitably repeatedly come up short short against the elite, in the playoffs.

Don Harris last night on Sports Sunday was saying that, privately, Duncan was not a fan being benched in stretches during the season when he was dressed ( Warriors -- the Diaw start, ect). If he doesn't think he can significantly contribute in a starting role he's retiring. He will not come back as a bench piece -- all the work he has to do to get ready in the summer and during the season won't be worth it.

Duncan knew this was his last run coming into the playoffs, nothing else can explain the way he pointed in the sky at the crowd as he was walking out of Chesapeake Arena after Game 6. First time in TD's career he's ever done that after a game on the ROAD and first time he's ever done that after a game he LOST.

This is it. He's retiring.

Robz4000
05-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Spurs will be legit contenders next season with or without TD/Manu unless they absolutely fuck up this offseason bringing in new talent. If they keep TD/Manu and bring in a Gasol/Conley/etc they'll be the second best team in the West/NBA again. Just need to hope Pop gets his shit together or the team takes another step forward cohesive/talent-wise.

tholdren
05-16-2016, 06:01 PM
if your a team fan why the bullshit about anderson?

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 06:02 PM
P
Don Harris last night on Sports Sunday was saying that, privately, Duncan was not a fan being benched in stretches during the season when he was dressed ( Warriors -- the Diaw start, ect). If he doesn't think he can significantly contribute in a starting role he's retiring. He will not come back as a bench piece -- all the work he has to do to get ready in the summer and during the season won't be worth it.

Duncan knew this was his last run coming into the playoffs, nothing else can explain the way he pointed in the sky at the crowd as he was walking out of Chesapeake Arena after Game 6. First time in TD's career he's ever done that after a game on the ROAD and first time he's ever done that after a game he LOST.

Not buying Don Harris at all tbh...

Of course no player wants to get benched.. It's going to come down to the "plan" IMO. Duncan can opt in or see what moves the Spurs can try to make and maybe take less if it gives them a better chance to win. No need to rush the decision..

TD 21
05-16-2016, 06:09 PM

I'm not surprised to hear that (I don't care how unselfish he is, you don't become as great as him without a ton of pride and belief) and I agree that he's retiring.

I'm just saying, to determine how many better, realistic options are available to them, we'd need to know in comparison to what version of Duncan and no one here can definitively say whether it's possible to get his knee back to where he was before January.

MaNu4Tres
05-16-2016, 06:14 PM
P

Not buying Don Harris at all tbh...

Of course no player wants to get benched.. It's going to come down to the "plan" IMO. Duncan can opt in or see what moves the Spurs can try to make and maybe take less if it gives them a better chance to win. No need to rush the decision..

I don't think he'd opt in regardless. I think he'd opt out whether he's retiring or coming back, its the only way SA can maximize their assets this summer to put together a team good enough to make another run. Tim would care more about improving his chances at 6 than making another 5 million.

All that is irrelevant though because TD is retiring. He's not coming back.

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 06:20 PM
I don't think he'd opt in regardless. I think he'd opt out whether he's retiring or coming back, its the only way SA can maximize their assets this summer to put together a team good enough to make another run. Tim would care more about improving his chances at 6 than making another 5 million.

All that is irrelevant though because TD is retiring. He's not coming back.

Is there a deadline for him to make a decision? And you're making an emotional statement by saying he's for sure done

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm not surprised to hear that (I don't care how unselfish he is, you don't become as great as him without a ton of pride and belief) and I agree that he's retiring.

I'm just saying, to determine how many better, realistic options are available to them, we'd need to know in comparison to what version of Duncan and no one here can definitively say whether it's possible to get his knee back to where he was before January.

I heard it was a bone bruise...and if that's the case his knee shouldn't be an issue

Mnky
05-16-2016, 06:43 PM

Some posters don't know how to let go of the past. People talk about how hard it will be to replace this guy and that, yet are the same people who can't believe and act surprised when those older players get out played in big games. There's a reason, they're just not that great anymore they can be good role players, but not a significant part of the team.

We made a living on taking other teams older players who had lost a step or couldn't be a focal point anymore, and they came on as role players. The spurs problem was they didn't relegate those older guys to role players and instead relied on them to be much more.

They get outplayed by younger, hungrier players, and then people argue it will be hard to imagine replacing them. No it won't, they got outplayed against elite teams all year for a reason. Not because they're irreplacable. Always thought its such a silly argument to make.

Definitely need to always be looking forward to getting better if you wish to stay relevant. Spurs have a golden opportunity with Leonard to build another decade of success, need to let go of the past if they want to though and be realistic.

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Some posters don't know how to let go of the past. People talk about how hard it will be to replace this guy and that, yet are the same people who can't believe and act surprised when those older players get out played in big games. There's a reason, they're just not that great anymore they can be good role players, but not a significant part of the team.

We made a living on taking other teams older players who had lost a step or couldn't be a focal point anymore, and they came on as role players. The spurs problem was they didn't relegate those older guys to role players and instead relied on them to be much more.

They get outplayed by younger, hungrier players, and then people argue it will be hard to imagine replacing them. No it won't, they got outplayed against elite teams all year for a reason. Not because they're irreplacable. Always thought its such a silly argument to make.

Definitely need to always be looking forward to getting better if you wish to stay relevant. Spurs have a golden opportunity with Leonard to build another decade of success, need to let go of the past if they want to though and be realistic.

Your GIF says it all tbh... Duncan coming back another year won't stunt the growth of Leonard

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Spurs are going to surprise some people with how much they suck without Manu Timmy or parker for that matter

I don't think they suck at all. Will be different yes, but despite everything, there are players who can have as much or more impact than Tim/Manu gave this year. I'm not rushing them out the door or anything, just saying who they were does not change who they are now.

Harry Callahan
05-16-2016, 07:29 PM
I don't think they suck at all. Will be different yes, but despite everything, there are players who can have as much or more impact than Tim/Manu gave this year. I'm not rushing them out the door or anything, just saying who they were does not change who they are now.

When you have two of the top 20 players in the NBA, you are going to be successful. Leonard and LMA provide that. The FO needs to be creative by way of trades and free agency to improve the athletic ability of the team. There are still some youngs guys already here who can take on bigger roles.

The team won't win 67 games in the regular season in 2016-2017, but that is not always the most important barometer of success.

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 07:32 PM
When you have two of the top 20 players in the NBA, you are going to be successful. Leonard and LMA provide that. The FO needs to be creative by way of trades and free agency to improve the athletic ability of the team. There are still some youngs guys already here who can take on bigger roles.

The team won't win 67 games in the regular season in 2016-2017, but that is not always the most important barometer of success.

Agreed & Tim/Manu helped a ton in the regular season when there was less game planning and everyone was chipping in. But when they are made to be the ones to beat you vs great competition it's tough. Not their fault, just how it is at the moment.

Mnky
05-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Your GIF says it all tbh... Duncan coming back another year won't stunt the growth of Leonard

I hope he comes back. Leonard is better off with Duncan around to help shape and lead him. Leonard himself said Duncan's been a great teammate to him and gave him crew for helping him grow.

That wasn't the point at all though. Different argument.