PDA

View Full Version : Rambo First Blood 2 - movie review

SpursforSix
01-30-2016, 12:44 AM
Does not hold up. Plays like an extended A Team tv show. The chick was really hot though.

4/10

Thread
01-30-2016, 06:53 AM
Yep, simply cannot find it's way, but, the charter issue is such an impossible mark to reach again that it is understandable. Stallone got that first one onto celluloid & it is there for eternity---no one can take it away.

UZER
01-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Overall agree, but the core issue that drives the story is pretty eye opening, it's not the mission so leave em there. Then when he rescued, still, leave em there. That ending speech, while not quite the level of the first one is still powerful.

Thread
01-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Overall agree, but the core issue that drives the story is pretty eye opening, it's not the mission so leave em there. Then when he rescued, still, leave em there. That ending speech, while not quite the level of the first one is still powerful.

Absolutely, Ooze. But Stallone has always incurred the wrath of Media,,,and the Rambo franchise was especially targeted. They went, at speed and gathered a large number of Vietnam Vets who guffawed & snickered on video tape to head off & tamp down any legitimate niche in the pages of history for this franchise.

Thread
01-30-2016, 01:28 PM
What is so special about the original issue is Denehy's dedication to the work provided him by the production. Before John J. ever sets foot in that town Will has already become jaded and soiled. He looks down at the denizens of "his town" commenting in hushed ton about their bathing practices, bitterly condescending to Rambo their (the citizens) persnickety opines of strangers...& after...ordering the arrest (on felony charges) of the helicopter pilot if he would refuse to fly.

He seemingly has it all, but, in reality has nothing, no wife, no gf, a near psychopath for a friend (Gault) who he himself bullies the citizen/deputies. Will has the arsenal on his hip, and the arsenal within the Sheriff building and reaches for both with such vigor. His jealousy of JJ's demeanor, JJ's self assurance compels him to drive him across that bridge. That JJ would remain silent, comfortable in his position, in his decision to walk back across is the breaking point---not for Rambo, but, for Will.

gambit1990
01-30-2016, 04:12 PM
never really seen any rambos other than some of part 3. i liked it. reminded me of mgs v. wonder how much rambo influenced kojima.

SpursforSix
01-30-2016, 06:02 PM
never really seen any rambos other than some of part 3. i liked it. reminded me of mgs v. wonder how much rambo influenced kojima.

First Blood is a damn good movie. And when Rambo (the first one) came out, I liked it a lot. But watched some of it last night and it's pretty dated. Also cartoonish. But I'd say First Blood is worth watching.

Thread
01-30-2016, 06:36 PM
First Blood is a damn good movie. And when Rambo (the first one) came out, I liked it a lot. But watched some of it last night and it's pretty dated. Also cartoonish. But I'd say First Blood is worth watching.

SS, please clarify,,,you think the very first Rambo movie "is a damn good movie," or, do you think it's "pretty dated?" Which one did you watch last nite?

& I'm not busting your balls, I'm just trying to understand your judgment.

---

[First Blood] ramps up continually to it's culmination. That is a difficult achievement for a film. Just as we settle in time & again we're jolted,,,characters arrive, evidence is presented. A central command is no sooner set up with all it's accouterments than we have the State Police (Billy McKinney) stride in and attempt to wrest control (rightful control even) of the crisis, nee castrophe (a man is dead)........."Assholes." hisses McKinney (further separating Will from righteousness, making the audience settle back in the seats secure in the knowledge that John J. is right, is righteous) when he hears the true story in the jailhouse that is blurted out by one of Will's underlings. These two have a history,,,they're on a first name basis "Will" - "Dave" --- but they're not close, and never have been,,,Dave is stock straight, Will is slumped,,,and they're separated by distance in that command tent. Dave is disgusted the moment he hits the ground in the encampment. He's heard rumblings, small town gossip spreads like wildfire. Hearing is different from seeing it though...the human carnage wrought by this decorated war veteran has him incensed. He's a fair man though, and he listens to everything he is told. He is a professional.

Just as Dave surrenders jurisdiction (more or less at gun point) and an uneasy calms begins to settle,,,we're ripped again,,,The great Crenna, tall & splendid, the American face appears...

SpursforSix
01-30-2016, 07:58 PM
SS, please clarify,,,you think the very first Rambo movie "is a damn good movie," or, do you think it's "pretty dated?" Which one did you watch last nite?

& I'm not busting your balls, I'm just trying to understand your judgment.

---

[First Blood] ramps up continually to it's culmination. That is a difficult achievement for a film. Just as we settle in time & again we're jolted,,,characters arrive, evidence is presented. A central command is no sooner set up with all it's accouterments than we have the State Police (Billy McKinney) stride in and attempt to wrest control (rightful control even) of the crisis, nee castrophe (a man is dead)........."Assholes." hisses McKinney (further separating Will from righteousness, making the audience settle back in the seats secure in the knowledge that John J. is right, is righteous) when he hears the true story in the jailhouse that is blurted out by one of Will's underlings. These two have a history,,,they're on a first name basis "Will" - "Dave" --- but they're not close, and never have been,,,Dave is stock straight, Will is slumped,,,and they're separated by distance in that command tent. Dave is disgusted the moment he hits the ground in the encampment. He's heard rumblings, small town gossip spreads like wildfire. Hearing is different from seeing it though...the human carnage wrought by this decorated war veteran has him incensed. He's a fair man though, and he listens to everything he is told. He is a professional.

Just as Dave surrenders jurisdiction (more or less at gun point) and an uneasy calms begins to settle,,,we're ripped again,,,The great Crenna, tall & splendid, the American face appears...

No qualms with First Blood. Since another movie just called, Rambo, came out in 2008, I was trying to refer to Rambo, First Blood Part 2. I saw it at the theater when I was a teenager and completely enjoyed it. I tried to sit through it las night and found it pretty dated. But perhaps it's because my opinion has been changed by the more "realistic" films like Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. Which I realize Rambo wasn't trying to be. But the filming and soundtrack reminded me of 80's TV, sans the multiple violent deaths.

First Blood was greatness imo. You got it right. It was set from the beginning. With the bleakness of the Nw as the perfect backdrop.

I didn't see any other Rambos but those.

I did find out yeasterday that some network is developing a Rambo series for tv. Sly not involved.

Notwithstanding the above, the payoff in Rambo is decent enough but I couldn't bear the first hour and a half just to hear him say, "I'm coming for you."