PDA

View Full Version : Complete hypothetical how crazy am I?

Cklbmk
01-30-2016, 08:52 AM
This off season if Tim and Manu are willing to come back for the minimum would you dump Danny Green for say a 2nd so that we could offer 18mil~ to Batum?

Batum seems like the perfect fit to upgrade the starting line up above what it already is and he doesn't have to get chemistry with LMA or Tony which should help the fit as Kawhi and Duncan fit around basically everyone.

If Duncan and Manu were not both willing to decline their options and come back on minimum contracts would you be willing to dump Green + Patty if 1 of them did to get Batum?

CGD
01-30-2016, 10:14 AM
In your scenario, no it's not crazy. The teAm composition would be very different anyway after they retire. To stay competitive you have to give up something good to get something good back.

The small ball possiblities with Nic and Leonard are nuts.

Chinook
01-30-2016, 11:01 AM
No.

elemento
01-30-2016, 11:10 AM
So, we're going to dump one of the best 3 and D players in the NBA to offer a close max to Nic Batum, who's just as inconsistent as Green and never delivers in the playoffs.

No, the Spurs FO ain't that stupid.

CGD
01-30-2016, 11:17 AM
I love green, but he's probably one of the best assets the Spurs have (if not the best not name Leonard) given his amazing contract. Sure I'd like to keep him as part of the post Timmy group, but you have to think he is in play if there is a move that makes sense. We can disagree whether that is Nic Batum or someone else.

Chinook
01-30-2016, 11:22 AM
If those guys want to come back, you just bring back the same team and use 2017 as the reloading it. The only difficult scenarios come from them retiring.

TheMulletMan3000
01-30-2016, 11:26 AM
So, we're going to dump one of the best 3 and D players in the NBA to offer a close max to Nic Batum, who's just as inconsistent as Green and never delivers in the playoffs.

No, the Spurs FO ain't that stupid. most people aren't aware how good danny is on D. especially in transition.

Raven
01-30-2016, 11:27 AM
i'd say you're dumb, not crazy.

ElNono
01-30-2016, 11:30 AM
I never understood the love for Batum... he's a good player, but never been a difference maker...

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Not sure if people who'd want to dump/trade Green for Batum realize his 3 point percentage for this season is better than Batum's despite his long slump.

Spurtacular
01-30-2016, 12:41 PM
If those guys want to come back, you just bring back the same team and use 2017 as the reloading it. The only difficult scenarios come from them retiring.

The options were meant to offer flexibility in any direction, tbh.

CGD
01-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Not sure if people who'd want to dump/trade Green for Batum realize his 3 point percentage for this season is better than Batum's despite his long slump.

I don't think folks are saying that green isn't a good player or provides value in his own right. Excellent defender and shooter. I'd love to keep him, but The team is changing and will change even more once Manu and tom leave.

The Spurs have two of the top post players at their positions locked up in their core for the foreseeable future. That is excellent in many ways, but Leonard still has a long way to go to show he can set up his teammates. (I can't wait to see more Leonard-LMA pnr action one day). Unfortunately, Tony is the only creator in the starting unit and only player on that unit capable of running a competent PnR. That's not going to past forever.

A player like Nic, in theory, helps address some of those creation issues/limitations. It might cost a great asset like green to get that player.

SAGirl
01-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Batum is more versatile is all.
Still I'd rather keep our guys like I stated. Wings are actually an area of strength bc Kawhi is a star and young and the guys behind him are also young and in Simmons/Anderson's case still developing and getting better. More concerning would be a center if Timmy retires and a ballhandling guard if Manu goes. Simmons has been TO prone and Patty is not a true PG.

coachmac87
01-30-2016, 04:06 PM
I never understood the love for Batum... he's a good player, but never been a difference maker...

He doesn't need to be special. The system will make that happen. Bottom line he's s better basketball player than Danny. Period.

Pauleta14
01-30-2016, 04:35 PM

He can be but lacks regularity, he is so frustrating...

His upside is unique thanks to his versatility, hi IQ... but he is mentally weak

ElNono
01-30-2016, 04:36 PM
He doesn't need to be special. The system will make that happen. Bottom line he's s better basketball player than Danny. Period.

He might be, but he isn't worth the scramble in the OP...

ElNono
01-30-2016, 04:37 PM
He can be but lacks regularity, he is so frustrating...

His upside is unique thanks to his versatility, hi IQ... but he is mentally weak

I would've loved to have him when we didn't have Kawhi, basically because we had nothing. But now? With young Kawhi and Anderson behind him, not really worth dumping salaries and what not for him.

elemento
01-30-2016, 04:39 PM

When the proposal is to dump a player as good as Danny for a 2nd round pick in order to get cap space to offer almost the MAX to another player, he better be damn special. Batum may be better than Green, but he is not that special.

Bottom line, it would be a huge mistake and I'm 100% positive that the Spurs FO wouldn't even think about doing such a dumb move (no offense OP).

GSH
01-30-2016, 05:18 PM

It's because a lot of people looked at him as "the one that got away". They were all convinced that Morey drafted him specifically to screw the Spurs, and that he somehow should have been a Spur. I remember the meltdown after the Spurs picked an unknown George Hill, and all the moaning about what could have been, if only the Spurs had traded up for Nic Batum. HE would have put us over the top. The meltdown lasted the whole season, but really hasn't ever gone completely away.

As for salary dumps, sometimes it has to be done. But generally, salary dumps equate to fire sales. And they rarely (if ever) make a team better in the short-term. Raise your hand if you remember the last real salary dump by the Spurs. Remember Jackie Butler? And several years' worth of Scola threads?

If the Spurs actually did this (they won't), the first time Danny made more than two 3-pointers in a single game with his new team, the meltdowns here would show up on weather satellites.

spurraider21
01-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Latin American spurs fan hating on French players per par

Chinook
01-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Raise your hand if you remember the last real salary dump by the Spurs.

http://cdn.nextimpulsesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ccc.gif

Chinook
01-30-2016, 05:30 PM
People should understand that Splitter's situation was unique, though. I don't think the team would have dumped a healthy Tiago. They certainly aren't dumping Green to chase Batum. Best I could see would be a sign-and-trade. People don't realize that using cap space is waving bye-bye to Boban and West, which I don't think the Spurs would do on top of losing Green. And they'd have only the room exception to replace them. AND they wouldn't be able to sign their first-rounder, LJC or Milutinov. Add all that to the fact that this is like the first time in four years that Batum has been a better player than Green over the course of a season, and I don't think this is remotely defensible.

GSH
01-30-2016, 05:36 PM
People should understand that Splitter's situation was unique, though. I don't think the team would have dumped a healthy Tiago. They certainly aren't dumping Green to chase Batum. Best I could see would be a sign-and-trade. People don't realize that using cap space is waving bye-bye to Boban and West, which I don't think the Spurs would do on top of losing Green. And they'd have only the room exception to replace them. AND they wouldn't be able to sign their first-rounder, LJC or Milutinov. Add all that to the fact that this is like the first time in four years that Batum has been a better player than Green over the course of a season, and I don't think this is remotely defensible.

Not being able to afford to re-sign a player isn't the same thing as a salary dump. I'm not going to write a page on it, but if you look back at salary dumps around the league, they are usually done out of desperation. Not re-signing a player, in order to sign a better player is totally different. Dumps hurt. Upgrades (if it really is an upgrade) don't hurt.

ElNono
01-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Latin American spurs fan hating on French players per par

I know you're trolling, but I'm a big fan of Diaw's game with the Spurs...

DeCulo "next Manu" was certainly a disappointment, tbh... Batum is more established, but peeps are really enamored with names...

dabom
01-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Is spurraider21 the biggest faggot? Serious question.

RGMCSE
01-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Fucking Bat Shit

spurraider21
01-30-2016, 06:13 PM
Is spurraider21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=31905) the biggest faggot? Serious question.
Rent free

:lmao faggot

sasaint
01-30-2016, 06:22 PM
It's because a lot of people looked at him as "the one that got away". They were all convinced that Morey drafted him specifically to screw the Spurs, and that he somehow should have been a Spur. I remember the meltdown after the Spurs picked an unknown George Hill, and all the moaning about what could have been, if only the Spurs had traded up for Nic Batum. HE would have put us over the top. The meltdown lasted the whole season, but really hasn't ever gone completely away.

As for salary dumps, sometimes it has to be done. But generally, salary dumps equate to fire sales. And they rarely (if ever) make a team better in the short-term. Raise your hand if you remember the last real salary dump by the Spurs. Remember Jackie Butler? And several years' worth of Scola threads?

If the Spurs actually did this (they won't), the first time Danny made more than two 3-pointers in a single game with his new team, the meltdowns here would show up on weather satellites.

Perfectly stated.

sasaint
01-30-2016, 06:29 PM
When the proposal is to dump a player as good as Danny for a 2nd round pick in order to get cap space to offer almost the MAX to another player, he better be damn special. Batum may be better than Green, but he is not that special.

Bottom line, it would be a huge mistake and I'm 100% positive that the Spurs FO wouldn't even think about doing such a dumb move (no offense OP).

Agreed. With Danny returning to form, he is a player on a contract that is nearly incomparable. Batum on a near-max deal would be very bad trade-off.

Chinook
01-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Not being able to afford to re-sign a player isn't the same thing as a salary dump. I'm not going to write a page on it, but if you look back at salary dumps around the league, they are usually done out of desperation. Not re-signing a player, in order to sign a better player is totally different. Dumps hurt. Upgrades (if it really is an upgrade) don't hurt.

I assume you're referring to West and Boban and not to Splitter (who was literally a salary dump) when you're making this distinction. If so, it's a decent point. But my point was that the Spurs lose pretty much all of their financial flexibility if they go under the cap to sign one guy. Last summer was a unique situation because the Spurs had Green and Leonard with cap holds. If they did it again with Batum at the expense of Green, here is what it would look like:

PG: Parker, Mills, min guy
SG: Batum, Manu, Simmons
SF: Leonard, Anderson, min guy
PF: Aldridge, Diaw, min guy
C: Duncan, min guy, min guy

I'm not sure that team makes it out of the first round. I'd rather stick to:

PG: Parker, Mills, min guy/draft pick
SG: Green, Manu, Simmons
SF: Leonard, Anderson, Bertans
PF: Aldridge, Diaw, LJC
C: Duncan, Marjanovic, Lalanne.

It's a better lineup with a clear line of succession

Chinook
01-30-2016, 06:52 PM
The options were meant to offer flexibility in any direction, tbh.

One-year deals literally do the same thing as 1+1s minus that they don't let the player retire and pocket the money in a second year.

BillMc
01-30-2016, 07:41 PM
:lol

UNT Eagles 2016
01-30-2016, 07:44 PM
:lol
Not really fair. If you look closely, Tiago had a Heatle draped on him. Still doesn't excuse Neal from leaving the best 3 point shooter, a WHITE guy no less, wide open at the 3 point line in the 4th quarter of a potential closeout game simply because he lost his shoe.

Spurtacular
01-30-2016, 08:05 PM

:lmao

BillMc
01-30-2016, 08:07 PM
This crazy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYzbesuUX0

SpursIndonesia
01-30-2016, 08:15 PM
I would love to have Batum as a Spur to replace Manu's role in the team. But i don't want him on his market price tag next summer, which will be overpriced. And certainly don't want him if it means gutting the core of the team, oh yeah, Verde is part of that core now, especially with his very affordable contract.