PDA

View Full Version : Brushing a dog's teeth - what works?

SpursforSix
01-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Have a three year old dog who for some reason, gets a lot of tartar. We feed her healthy crunchy food and also give her those DentaGreen things. But it doesn't seem to help. Took her to the vet who charged $400 last time. Bought some dental wipes but it's damn near impossible to get her to be still and I'm not sure they work that well.

Any suggestions?

Thread
01-30-2016, 11:44 PM
I used to get her down, have the children hold her tight and brush with human toothpaste and a brand new extra firm brush mounted on the electric tooth brush.

You should be two-pieced for spending $400 like that.

Reck
01-30-2016, 11:55 PM
I used to get her down, have the children hold her tight and brush with human toothpaste and a brand new extra firm brush mounted on the electric tooth brush.

:lmao

SpursforSix
01-31-2016, 12:25 AM

I don't know what that means but you're probably right. They had to sedate her.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-31-2016, 01:24 AM
Get her euthanized. End of your expenses and time wasting.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2016, 03:03 AM
Just use a tooth brush and dog tooth paste, bro..the flavorless kind doesn't taste like anything, and if your dog doesn't like it, there are flavored alternatives..

We use Oratene for my dog, and he has never had a problem with it(he usually has a problem with most things we do to him:lol)..

baseline bum
01-31-2016, 02:40 PM
You can't use human toothpaste on dogs. Regular toothpaste often has an artificial sweetener called xylitol that is extremely toxic to dogs, it's much worse than even dark chocolate for them. You also can't give your dog your diabeetus food since lots of that shit uses xylitol instead of real sugar.

Thread
01-31-2016, 03:03 PM
You can't use human toothpaste on dogs. Regular toothpaste often has an artificial sweetener called xylitol that is extremely toxic to dogs, it's much worse than even dark chocolate for them. You also can't give your dog your diabeetus food since lots of that shit uses xylitol instead of real sugar.

My ass. I used human toothpaste for my dog's entire life. She lived to be 15. Just because a Vet says it,,,don't make it so, bum.

Mitch
01-31-2016, 03:16 PM
My ass. I used human toothpaste for my dog's entire life. She lived to be 15. Just because a Vet says it,,,don't make it so, bum.

Cub is right, my German Shep got into a generic tube of crest and was fine - he must have eaten half the tube. Vets want you to pay their bills, can't take all their advice to heart.

That being said, you can just go for a generic white paste without flavor if you're scared.

baseline bum
01-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Cub is right, my German Shep got into a generic tube of crest and was fine - he must have eaten half the tube. Vets want you to pay their bills, can't take all their advice to heart.

That being said, you can just go for a generic white paste without flavor if you're scared.

I didn't say it always has xylitol, I said it often does. If your dog ate half a tube of toothpaste with xylitol it'd be dead most likely.

http://legacy.kare11.com/story/news/local/2015/04/23/luna-dog-xylitol-caress-pellett-ice-breaker/26263333/

baseline bum
01-31-2016, 04:21 PM

You're an old fucker, xylitol being in all kind of sugar free shit is a pretty new thing. Other artificial sweeteners are fine, it's just xylitol that's deadly.

Mitch
01-31-2016, 04:26 PM
I didn't say it always has xylitol, I said it often does. If your dog ate half a tube of toothpaste with xylitol it'd be dead most likely.

http://legacy.kare11.com/story/news/local/2015/04/23/luna-dog-xylitol-caress-pellett-ice-breaker/26263333/

Welp, we can all read on this board to some extent. Just pick out a basic toothpaste without flavor, maybe one of those hippy faggot natural toothpastes. read ingredients instead of paying like 30 bucks for dog toothpaste at petc:lol

baseline bum
01-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Welp, we can all read on this board to some extent. Just pick out a basic toothpaste without flavor, maybe one of those hippy faggot natural toothpastes.

That hippy natural shit is the worst

http://fawny.org/blog/images/TomsofMaine-500.jpg

https://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsuit/tom-all-natural-toothpaste-consumer-fraud-class.php

Mitch
01-31-2016, 04:33 PM
That hippy natural shit is the worst

http://fawny.org/blog/images/TomsofMaine-500.jpg

https://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsuit/tom-all-natural-toothpaste-consumer-fraud-class.php

I never trust it, you ever hear of that eggshell toothpaste hippies are paying like 30 bucks for? It's supposed to make your teeth fill in its cavities :lol

Mitch
01-31-2016, 04:34 PM
https://www.etsy.com/listing/218387475/16oz-regular-formula-vegan-organic?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-bath_and_beauty-other&utm_custom1=bcc45fc9-f4ae-4fc6-af9c-e5af29c9855c&gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9dpRvbLkyLM2LoAVezAhrhJg8nRtnxZPbQ0D5X-PybBoCLK3w_wcB

SpursforSix
01-31-2016, 04:51 PM

Yeah. I think it was all the chocolate that was messing up her teeth.

Shastafarian
01-31-2016, 05:22 PM
Just had my dog's teeth cleaned as well. The $400 is for bloodwork before sedating, sedation, anesthesia, cleaning of the teeth, +/- antibiotics, +/- extractions. If you had pet insurance you would've paid a helluva lot less.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2016, 05:30 PM
Just had my dog's teeth cleaned as well. The $400 is for bloodwork before sedating, sedation, anesthesia, cleaning of the teeth, +/- antibiotics, +/- extractions. If you had pet insurance you would've paid a helluva lot less.

Over here it's even worse than that, tbh:lol..

My girl's work gives our dog 1 free dental cleaning per year, though, fortunately..

And +1 on pet insurance..my dog had a $6000 operation that only ended up costing us around $800, and he has already had several minor injuries to his shoulder that were covered..all allergy meds, too..its always the first thing I tell somebody when they're getting a dog, get pet insurance, dogs are fragile.

Shastafarian
01-31-2016, 05:33 PM
Over here it's even worse than that, tbh:lol..Most people don't get that medical care is medical care. They use the same drugs and similar procedures that we use on people.

My girl's work gives our dog 1 free dental cleaning per year, though, fortunately..That's cool. I got a deal because Feb is apparently dental month or some such nonsense. Close enough to Feb that I got 10% off.

And +1 on pet insurance..my dog had a $6000 operation that only ended up costing us around $800, and he has already had several minor injuries to his shoulder that were covered..all allergy meds, too..its always the first thing I tell somebody when they're getting a dog, get pet insurance, dogs are fragile.
Yeah exactly. Our medical costs seem low compared to vet bills UNLESS you get pet insurance. It's worth the money for dogs. Not sure about cats.

SpursforSix
01-31-2016, 09:52 PM
Get her euthanized. End of your expenses and time wasting.

It's a wonder you're not a big hit with the ladies.

MI21
01-31-2016, 10:26 PM
You can get this liquid you drop into there water bowl that is supposed to do the same thing.

There is also a foam spray (similar to hand sanitzier that is water and then you pump and it's a foam in your hand) that you can try.

SpursforSix
01-31-2016, 10:32 PM
You can get this liquid you drop into there water bowl that is supposed to do the same thing.

There is also a foam spray (similar to hand sanitzier that is water and then you pump and it's a foam in your hand) that you can try.

Tried the enzyme that you drop in the water. They wouldn't touch the water. Saw the foam. Might try. Today I bought some peanut flavor toothpaste. We'll see.

DJR210
02-01-2016, 02:05 AM
Idk.. maybe it's just me.. but who gives a fuck if the dog has tartar :lol

baseline bum
02-01-2016, 02:08 AM

It's not like kids where you just don't give a fuck, I mean dogs have great personalities tbh.

DJR210
02-01-2016, 02:12 AM
It's not like kids where you just don't give a fuck, I mean dogs have great personalities tbh.

Haha.. let the dog get silver caps and be done with it too

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 08:42 AM

Because she's only 3 and I don't want her to start losing teeth. Not sure what the deal is but I've never had a dog this young who's teeth weren't still very white.

SnakeBoy
02-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Just give your dog a large raw beef rib twice a week and let it clean it's own damn teeth the way nature intended. Raw not cooked.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-01-2016, 01:29 PM
It's a wonder you're not a big hit with the ladies.
I hate dogs. They stink, poop, tear up the house, and are like perennial 1 year old children except a whole lot hairier and smellier. And as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to them. So....

SnakeBoy
02-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Because she's only 3 and I don't want her to start losing teeth. Not sure what the deal is but I've never had a dog this young who's teeth weren't still very white.

What is the "healthy crunchy food" you're feeding?

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 03:40 PM
What is the "healthy crunchy food" you're feeding?

Canidae something or other.

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 03:42 PM
I hate dogs. They stink, poop, tear up the house, and are like perennial 1 year old children except a whole lot hairier and smellier. And as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to them. So....

ah...just another stab in your back from life. You're probably not allergic to them but you've already planned what you're going to say to your unhappy wife and child when they want to get a dog.

SnakeBoy
02-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Canidae something or other.

Regular Canidae is a middle of the road food. Their grain free version is better but both are overpriced for what you're getting imo. Look it up on dogfoodadvisor.com.

Anyway, give her raw meaty beef ribs to work on (outdoors). It keeps their teeth nice and clean.

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Regular Canidae is a middle of the road food. Their grain free version is better but both are overpriced for what you're getting imo. Look it up on dogfoodadvisor.com.

Anyway, give her raw meaty beef ribs to work on (outdoors). It keeps their teeth nice and clean.

I'll look it up. We were giving them Nutro something or other but the feed store told my wife that Canidae was basically the same but cheaper. In any event, I don't know that another brand would do anything different for her teeth. We feed the same to our 8 year old and his are fine.

I will try the beef ribs though. Thanks.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-01-2016, 06:45 PM
ah...just another stab in your back from life. You're probably not allergic to them but you've already planned what you're going to say to your unhappy wife and child when they want to get a dog.

As a kid I'd pet the neighbors', friends' and relatives' dogs and always sneeze all over the place. So, pretty sure I am.

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 07:10 PM
As a kid I'd pet the neighbors', friends' and relatives' dogs and always sneeze all over the place. So, pretty sure I am.

You're probably allergic to people. It makes sense.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-01-2016, 08:22 PM
You're probably allergic to people. It makes sense.
Didn't sneeze the last time I made out with a girl, which was 13 evenings ago. So no

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Didn't sneeze the last time I made out with a girl, which was 13 evenings ago. So no

Did you deflate her when you were done? Or just shove it in the closet?

clambake
02-01-2016, 08:26 PM
you just thought it was a girl.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Did you deflate her when you were done? Or just shove it in the closet?
I don't want to know what Tom Brady does to Giselle in his spare time

Shastafarian
02-01-2016, 08:31 PM
I will try the beef ribs though. Thanks.
Don't give your dog beef ribs. Not only can they break teeth, they're likely to fracture and either become a gastrointestinal obstruction or possibly even lacerate internal organs. Brush the teeth or use rawhides with enzymatic cleaners.

Edit: Also once had to bring my dog (different one) in for pancreatitis from giving her beef scraps. High fat items like that can cause pancreatitis.

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Don't give your dog beef ribs. Not only can they break teeth, they're likely to fracture and either become a gastrointestinal obstruction or possibly even lacerate internal organs. Brush the teeth or use rawhides with enzymatic cleaners.

Edit: Also once had to bring my dog (different one) in for pancreatitis from giving her beef scraps. High fat items like that can cause pancreatitis.

After just one time?

Shastafarian
02-01-2016, 08:37 PM
After just one time?

Which?

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Which?

The pancreatitis issue

Shastafarian
02-01-2016, 08:42 PM
The pancreatitis issue

Yeah as far as I know. Vet said they see a lot of pancreatitis cases during the holidays because people feed their dogs table scraps, usually the fatty pieces or gristle.

SpursforSix
02-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Yeah as far as I know. Vet said they see a lot of pancreatitis cases during the holidays because people feed their dogs table scraps, usually the fatty pieces or gristle.

Hmm. Hadn't heard that. I rarely give them people food. Other than a chip or piece of cookie here or there. I hadn't seen the rawhide with enzymes before. Might give that a shit because brushing her teeth is hell.

DJR210
02-02-2016, 12:35 AM

Dogs are security, you're an idiot per usual.

chunticakes
02-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Guitardude getting ethered as per the par :lol

mrsmaalox
02-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Our dog's vets have recommended brushing if possible but basically always say that having plenty of fresh clean water available at all times is the best way for dogs to clean their teeth. I don't brush them but have always done those $400 cleanings as needed. Also large dogs tend to need it less as small dogs are more prone to tooth decay. My dobie is 13yo and has only needed it one time, last year. My chihuahua is 10 yo and she has been needing it yearly for about the last 5yrs. My italian greyhound is 5 and has never needed it. I figure when I adopted them I committed to care for them for life, so I do whatever my vet recommends at their annual checkup---and as you can see from my dogs, it's not something that they push on me unnecessarily.

SpursforSix
02-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Our dog's vets have recommended brushing if possible but basically always say that having plenty of fresh clean water available at all times is the best way for dogs to clean their teeth. I don't brush them but have always done those $400 cleanings as needed. Also large dogs tend to need it less as small dogs are more prone to tooth decay. My dobie is 13yo and has only needed it one time, last year. My chihuahua is 10 yo and she has been needing it yearly for about the last 5yrs. My italian greyhound is 5 and has never needed it. I figure when I adopted them I committed to care for them for life, so I do whatever my vet recommends at their annual checkup---and as you can see from my dogs, it's not something that they push on me unnecessarily.

Fucking vets. We used to go to one of these VCA associated vets because it was right by our house. I had a 16 year old mix in pretty good shape. Every time I went in there, they recommended a damn liver and kidney panel for about $500. They would try and guilt me into that. She was fucking 16. It's almost criminal what they do. Because I guarantee that they preyed upon plenty of old ladies and cat people to pay that. We finally found and old school vet farther away but not trying to rape his clients. Don't get me wrong, our animals are part of the family. But for a 16 year old, is a liver panel going to dictate that I should have a dog liver transplant? Wtf.

But as to the current situation, I may spend $400 one more time and then keep up with better maintenance.

augo
12-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Our dog is very calm and it was never a problem to brush Astra's teeth. The only thing that bothered us is that sometimes she chews the toothbrush. Plastic pieces are very harmful so we found a bamboo toothbrush (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H8FJWW) as an alternative. It's definitely better than plastic.

SpursforSix
12-26-2018, 12:36 PM
Our dog is very calm and it was never a problem to brush Astra's teeth. The only thing that bothered us is that sometimes she chews the toothbrush. Plastic pieces are very harmful so we found a bamboo toothbrush (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H8FJWW) as an alternative. It's definitely better than plastic.

Bamboo toothbrush???? Who are you? Pac Man Jones?

chunticakes
12-27-2018, 02:38 AM
Bamboo toothbrush???? Who are you? Pac Man Jones?

So how's your dog doing? My sister has a Pomeranian and it's teeth are getting black. She lost one the other day.

SpursforSix
12-27-2018, 11:04 AM
So how's your dog doing? My sister has a Pomeranian and it's teeth are getting black. She lost one the other day.

We've been giving her denta sticks pretty regularly but I don't think they do much for the area of the canine teeth near the gums.
We've taken her to the vet to have her teeth cleaned twice. So about once every couple of years.